PDA

View Full Version : Lorbek reportedly wants to join Spurs

billbradley
07-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Lorbek reportedly wants to join Spurs
Jeff McDonald
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/07/11/lorbek-reportedly-wants-to-join-spurs/

Back on draft night, the average Spurs fan rode a roller coaster of emotions. They grieved for the trading of George Hill to Indiana, wondered about the untapped potential of Kawhi Leonard and even giggled when somebody saddled the newly acquired Davis Bertans with the too-comical nickname “The Latvian Durant.”

Few gave much thought to the third player to hit the Spurs’ coffers in the deal. What happened on draft night 2011, however, apparently meant a lot to Erazem Lorbek.

According to a Spanish website, having his rights transferred from Indiana to San Antonio has caused the Slovenian big man to think long and hard about finally making the jump to the NBA.

“With this change, it’s much more interesting to me,” Lorbek, who is currently employed by FC Barcelona, told Mundo Deportivo (via Hoopshype). “My hope is to cross the Atlantic to play in the strongest league in the world.”

Lorbek, 27, is a 6-foot-10 forward drafted 46th overall by the Pacers in 2005. By this point, his internal clock is ticking. If he’s going to join the NBA, time is running short.

Apparently, Lorbek is serious about this. According to the report above, he has already informed the Slovenian national team he has no intention of playing in this year’s Eurobasket tournament, angering the Slovenian coach.

Of course, Lorbek’s timing couldn’t be worse. The NBA, as you might have heard, is embroiled in a bitter labor dispute that could threaten some or all of the 2011-12 season. In a reversal of the traditional talent pipeline, some NBA players — notably New Jersey All-Star Deron Williams — are contemplating playing overseas for as long as America’s top professional basketball league remains shuttered.

Until the lockout is resolved and the NBA resumes business as usual, it will be difficult to handicap Lorbek’s chances of joining the Spurs next season. It is safe to say, however, that the Spurs traded for Lorbek for a reason and, at age 27, time is running out on his opportunity to make an NBA impact.

It seems like he would at least be in the conversation for next year’s roster, whenever next year officially begins.

Didn't see this posted. Does this change how we should view the trade? I remember most posters were sure that Lorbek was never coming over.

BornReady
07-11-2011, 12:15 PM
well nothing we can really do now. I guess we'll just have to enjoy George Hill's presence that much more! :)

Granville
07-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Jeff McDonald
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/07/11/lorbek-reportedly-wants-to-join-spurs/

Didn't see this posted. Does this change how we should view the trade? I remember most posters were sure that Lorbek was never coming over.

No, because it sounds like he had no intention of ever joining the Pacers.

TMJ31
07-11-2011, 12:17 PM
This reflects poorly on Lorbek if you ask me.

Not only does it make him look like Rubio 2.0, but it shows that he is out of touch with the NBA and the team(s) that hold his rights.

If he followed the NBA and knew what was going on in Indy, he would know that joining our team would give him a chance to be part of a young, dynamic team with nowhere to go but up.

Now, by joining the Spurs, he joins a great franchise, sure... But also a franchise with nothing but aging stars who have a very, VERY limited window of opportunity left. And *that* is the move that is made that suddenly makes it "Much more interesting" to him?

Yea... I'll pass.

PR07
07-11-2011, 12:19 PM
It's not like Lorbek is some out of this world European talent. If he didn't want to play in Indiana, then I say good riddance.

Kid Minneapolis
07-11-2011, 12:21 PM
I hate that Indiana is where foreign careers go to die. They don't want to touch us with a 10-foot pole. Lorbek switches to SA, and immediately changes his mind.

Peck
07-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Meh, I'll believe he is serious when I see his name on their active roster.

As to how it makes me feel about the trade? Even better. We got rid of an asset that had zero benefit to us and turned it into a player who will be an important part of our team.

Huge win for us IMO.

Smits Happens
07-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah, it seems clear he likely never would have played for Indiana so it was no loss for the Pacers. Of course, if he comes over and contributes for the Spurs, that won't keep some people from complaining about how Bird never should have included him in the trade.

Speed
07-11-2011, 12:29 PM
It was strange how Bruno had an article about how Lorbeck was never coming over about a month before they traded him.

Strange in that, nobody had said he was never coming over to that point, I actually thought he was maybe still on the radar. Bruno kinda said it in that article like it was common knowledge. I gotta be honest, the way it was presented I thought he was older than 27.

Still a win, no matter how you slice it, though.

CableKC
07-11-2011, 12:31 PM
It's not like Lorbek is some out of this world European talent. If he didn't want to play in Indiana, then I say good riddance.
I would have to let those that actually follow the EuroLeague Players more comment....but from the little that I have read....Lorbek and Stanko are actually supposed to be solid Center prospects in the European Level that should have translated into decent Backup Players on the NBA level.

I'm not saying that they would have torn it up in the NBA....but they are not considered "scrubs" that couldn't have hacked it in the NBA.

At the very least...I hope that Bird has EVERY intention of bringing in Stanko at the earliest opportunity that they have.

HC
07-11-2011, 12:45 PM
To hell with this guy. I don't care if he is a foreigner, or from America. People with this kind of attitude make me sick. So much so that the mention of John Elway and Elisha Manning give me indigestion. Crybabies stay home. This is professional sports' equivelant of a draft dodger.

Pacemaker
07-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Don't worry guys he'll regret having to play against Psycho T !! :devil:

Knucklehead Warrior
07-11-2011, 12:49 PM
2010-2011 = 52 games with 2 teams

avg 22 min
8 pts
4 rbs

Sparhawk
07-11-2011, 12:53 PM
I think this is just funny. I guess his talent is way above the lowly Pacers. lol

pacer4ever
07-11-2011, 12:58 PM
how Davis Bertans does is how i will view the trade. The kid i had ranked in my top 20 very skilled can dribble can shoot reminds me of Galio or Hedo Rashard Lewis very skilled shooter. Who i think will be the best player from this trade in 6 years.

ballism
07-11-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't care about him, I think he's completely redundant for us, a less energetic taller Tyler.

But I don't blame him either.
Spurs need an offensive big man, they like stretch 4s.
All Lorbek would have to do would be to beat Matt Bonner for rotation spot, and he gets very serious minutes. On a contender.
Not to mention, Spurs are notoriously open minded and welcoming when it comes to international talent. While us - who's the last successfull Euro import in Indiana?

I don't blame him at all, but I don't care about him either. Spurs have more reasons to like him than us.

pacer4ever
07-11-2011, 01:00 PM
2010-2011 = 52 games with 2 teams

avg 22 min
8 pts
4 rbs

which is irrelevant stats in euro league are irrelevant it is more a team game and the style is different.

pacers74
07-11-2011, 01:03 PM
He is an a$$ if he wasn't going to play for the paces, but is going to play with the spurs. But I don't think he has the talent to play in the NBA anyway. Stanko is the Eruo bird needs to try and get over here anyway. He seems to have more talent and could at least be a backup big for us.

Lorbek can go :censored: off!

Hicks
07-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Jeff McDonald

Well, apparently we were right to think so considering his comments above. Good for San Antonio, but it looks like he had little (if any) interest in playing here.

Hicks
07-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I hate that Indiana is where foreign careers go to die. They don't want to touch us with a 10-foot pole. Lorbek switches to SA, and immediately changes his mind.

Well, I'd like to think Rik Smits begs to differ, at least.

PR07
07-11-2011, 01:20 PM
I would have to let those that actually follow the EuroLeague Players more comment....but from the little that I have read....Lorbek and Stanko are actually supposed to be solid Center prospects in the European Level that should have translated into decent Backup Players on the NBA level.

I'm not saying that they would have torn it up in the NBA....but they are not considered "scrubs" that couldn't have hacked it in the NBA.

At the very least...I hope that Bird has EVERY intention of bringing in Stanko at the earliest opportunity that they have.

I'm not saying they are scrubs, I actually think Barac can be a player in this league and have hopes for him. However, Lorbek is a guy who went to Michigan State (and never did much), is now 27 with no NBA seasoning, and was never considered a great athlete to begin with. I think comparatively speaking, Barac is younger and is widely regarded as more athletic.

rock747
07-11-2011, 01:26 PM
We really let this legend slip through our fingers...

vnzla81
07-11-2011, 01:36 PM
I don't really get why people get upset about this :confused:

Ozwalt72
07-11-2011, 01:36 PM
If I were a foreign player and my rights were traded from, well, anyone, to the Spurs... I would be excited. They will probably pay pretty well for him, give him a solid role and play him to his strengths.

Why couldn't the Pacers do that? Well, we could, but we'd be sacrificing more. With the Spurs, their core is what it is and they basically get to choose the right combination of role players so that they can play the way they want to.

Probably a 4th/5th big on most teams, but for the Spurs he could be #3 with solid minutes. I mean, they gave Matt Bonner 22mpg last year.

Lance George
07-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Draft Express - Erazem Lorbek (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Erazem-Lorbek-30/) | Stanko Barac (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Stanko-Barac-249/)

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2618/67002342.png

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/6707/66821122.png

I don't follow European basketball too closely, but Stanko's numbers look significantly better. He's also 2.5 years younger and 2"-3" taller.

I say good riddance to loser Lorbek, and all hail King Stanko.

:king:

Kid Minneapolis
07-11-2011, 02:17 PM

He probly does, but are you seriously comparing our franchise's international appeal to SA or Dallas based off the one foreign guy who had success in a Pacer uni and retired 11 years ago?

BringJackBack
07-11-2011, 02:20 PM
how Davis Bertans does is how i will view the trade. The kid i had ranked in my top 20 very skilled can dribble can shoot reminds me of Galio or Hedo Rashard Lewis very skilled shooter. Who i think will be the best player from this trade in 6 years.

How do you know this?

Hicks
07-11-2011, 02:26 PM
He probly does, but are you seriously comparing our franchise's international appeal to SA or Dallas based off the one foreign guy who had success in a Pacer uni and retired 11 years ago?

Did I say as much?

Psyren
07-11-2011, 02:36 PM
From everything I've read about Lorbek, he's not that good.

So no, I'm not the least bit upset/disappointed. I'd much rather have Stanko anyways.

Kid Minneapolis
07-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Did I say as much?

Well what else was I sposed to take from that response, lol... Of course Rik Smits says otherwise. Sounded like you were contradicting me.

pacer4ever
07-11-2011, 02:38 PM
How do you know this?

I have watched him play and judge for myself it is opinion based obviously and i don't KNOW but it is an educated guess(as is what everyone thinks players will become). But the kid is very skilled and has all the tools you want in a player, very smart player and can shoot lights out and can even dribble decent for his size. He needs to put on 25pds or so but he will be a really good player IMO (weather he comes over is TBA but he is a really good player).I had him rated as the best shooter in the draft and in the mid teens over all. He has far more upside than Leonard IMO Leonard will be a good role player for a long time. But with the proper development Davis could be more again just my opinion. Again the euro game is hard to gauge due to style and playing time but he and Nikola Mirotic will be good NBA players IMO 5+ yrs down the line.

pacer4ever
07-11-2011, 02:40 PM
From everything I've read about Lorbek, he's not that good.

So no, I'm not the least bit upset/disappointed. I'd much rather have Stanko anyways.

He isn't bad but he isn't anything we will miss. poor Barcelona they could potentially lose Rubio and Lorbek in the same year tough break.

Trophy
07-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Might be a good team for him.

Add some depth behind Duncan for a few more seasons and might even get some minutes at center since they are pretty limited there.

CableKC
07-11-2011, 03:03 PM
I don't care about him, I think he's completely redundant for us, a less energetic taller Tyler.

But I don't blame him either.
Spurs need an offensive big man, they like stretch 4s.
All Lorbek would have to do would be to beat Matt Bonner for rotation spot, and he gets very serious minutes. On a contender.
Not to mention, Spurs are notoriously open minded and welcoming when it comes to international talent. While us - who's the last successfull Euro import in Indiana?

I don't blame him at all, but I don't care about him either. Spurs have more reasons to like him than us.
Reading some of your posts on the EuroLeague...I get the sense that you've paid a bit more attention to the Euros then me.

From what I have read outside of this forum about Stanko...he appears to be a decent prospect that could come over and fill some backup roll on the Team.

What are you impressions of him based off of what you have read and seen?

Peck
07-11-2011, 03:41 PM
I can't wait till Bird turns Baracs contract into a player we can use for real. I'm hoping it is for a good power forward or even center.

neosmndrew
07-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Just shows that he is immature and behind on the times, because if I had to go over under on # of championships in the next 12 years for the Pacers and Spurs, I'd go with Pacers.

ballism
07-11-2011, 05:24 PM
From what I have read outside of this forum about Stanko...he appears to be a decent prospect that could come over and fill some backup roll on the Team.

What are you impressions of him based off of what you have read and seen?

I'm not a big fan. I think he can play in the league, but right now I'd be worried if he's the main backup. He isn't coming over this year though, so it's a moot point.

To me, there are good and there are dissappointing sides.
He can shoot and can manage a few dribbles. He can also score over most people under the basket. That said, keep in mind that Euroleague was terrible this year when it comes to quality size. 35 or 36 year old Rasho Nesterovich was Euroleague's MVP for one month when he got semi-healthy. Just shows how bad it was when it comes to big men.

He sets a lot of picks and he's pretty good at it. Pretty good at finishing in pick and roll and pick and pop. Although the pick and roll (with him as the roll guy) usually looks very slow, and often it succeeds with him simply outsizing a back-in-time defender in the paint. The success rate on that should go down significantly in the NBA.

Overall though, a lot of passive stretches off the ball. Slow, slower than Hibbert, not a high jumper, does not seem strong either, and does not box out that well - does not try much tbh, even in free throw situations. I think he'd be way below average rebounder in the NBA right now.

His reaction on D seems slowish to me - although there would sometimes be impressive sequences where he switches to the 3pt line and runs back and challenges a shot under the basket. Overall I would call him a below average defender right now, though.

I also have worries in terms of consistency. He had a Hibbert-ish season. Great start, very up and down (mostly horrible) finish of the season, especially in Euroleague when they started to face better teams. 82 game grind against better competition? Another reason why I wouldn't trust him as the main backup right away. I'd still want a capable Foster type as a viable alternative.

There are a few Spanish posters here who follow ACB more closely than me, they could probably add / offer alternative takes on him. Personally, unless he takes another big step next year in Turkey, I'd hold my expectations low.
Just to keep it in perspective, Nikola Pekovic the last few years was arguably the best center in Europe. He was a way more impressive and productive player than Stanko has been this year. Today, he's an inefficient backup to Darko. While I think Pekovic in particular is underused in 'Sota and would be better off on another NBA team... it goes to show how steep is the jump from Euroleague to NBA for a big man lately. There used to be a few NBA starter level big guys in Europe every year; now, it's drained; Euroleague's best rebounder this year was an 18 year old.

Justin Tyme
07-11-2011, 05:46 PM
No, because it sounds like he had no intention of ever joining the Pacers.

I have felt and projected him at best a sweetner in a trade for the last few years. Guess what? That's exactly what happened. The Pacers didn't lose a thing, b/c I never saw him ever wearing a Pacers' uni.

tiMVP
07-11-2011, 05:46 PM
FWIW guys, this could mean absolutely nothing about him joining the Spurs...

It could be a lot of things:
1.Lorbek actually being genuinely interested in Spurs.
2.Lorbek using Spurs to get a big contract from Barcelona.
3.Lorbek using Spurs as an excuse to avoid playing with Slovenia this summer.

With #2 being a real possibility.

Justin Tyme
07-11-2011, 05:55 PM
He is an a$$ if he wasn't going to play for the paces, but is going to play with the spurs. But I don't think he has the talent to play in the NBA anyway. Stanko is the Eruo bird needs to try and get over here anyway. He seems to have more talent and could at least be a backup big for us.

Lorbek can go :censored: off!

Could you tell us how you really feel? LOL!

I understand, and feel he's nothing more than an IRRELEVANT sweetner in a trade. Like Peck said, I'll believe it when I see him in a Spurs' uni.

Justin Tyme
07-11-2011, 06:00 PM

The Dunk'n Dutchman went to Marist University, and he was drafted from an American University. You could have pointed Detleff out as well. Wasn't he a NBA 6th man of the year. Lorbek will never even get closer to that!

Justin Tyme
07-11-2011, 06:03 PM
However, Lorbek is a guy who went to Michigan State (and never did much)

WOW! I didn't know that. I just thought he was a Euro league type guy.

Hicks
07-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Well what else was I sposed to take from that response, lol... Of course Rik Smits says otherwise. Sounded like you were contradicting me.

You said Indiana is where foreign careers go to die. I offered a clear counter example. At no point before you said as much did the thought of Indiana competing in terms of international appeal with Dallas or San Antonio enter my mind because, as far as I'm concerned, those are two different ideas.

Does coming to Indiana doom a foreign player? Of course not.

Does Indiana stack up with San Antonio in terms of its appeal to foreign players? Of course not.

Pingu
07-11-2011, 06:59 PM

3 seems very likely too, actually, given what is said in the original paper quoted by Hoopshype:

El seleccionador de Eslovenia, Bozidar Maljkovic, lo dejó bien claro ayer al explicar, con un tremendo enfado, que el ala-pívot le llamó por teléfono para comunicarle que rechaza ir al Eurobasket de Lituania por "la posibilidad de jugar en la NBA".

LINK (http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20110711/baloncesto/acb/lorbek-piensa-en-la-nba_54184581908.html)

Translation of the passage in bold:

The forward/center gave him [i.e. the Slovenian coach] a call to let him know that he was declining to play in the Eurobasket [i.e. European basketball championship] to be held in Lithuania because of "the possibility of playing in the NBA".

Sounds to me as if Lorbek was just trying to get out of playing with the Slovenian national team. I'm pretty sure he'll never set foot on an NBA court.

Pacergeek
07-11-2011, 07:09 PM
watch Lorbek blow up on the Spurs.

pacer4ever
07-11-2011, 07:13 PM
watch Lorbek blow up on the Spurs.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b34/Andra1/gif%20images/15c7f155.gif

Anthem
07-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Good trade for both sides, sounds like.

owl
07-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Detlef Schremph. Not recent but another boderline all-star.

Kid Minneapolis
07-11-2011, 08:59 PM
You said Indiana is where foreign careers go to die. I offered a clear counter example. At no point before you said as much did the thought of Indiana competing in terms of international appeal with Dallas or San Antonio enter my mind because, as far as I'm concerned, those are two different ideas.

Does coming to Indiana doom a foreign player? Of course not.

Does Indiana stack up with San Antonio in terms of its appeal to foreign players? Of course not.

Why does San Antonio appeal to them? Maybe, just maybe, they look at the Pacers and don't see much of a trend for foreign players to succeed in Indiana, and why is that? Saras was a star over there, and he came over here and bombed. Chances are, had he landed with SA or Dallas, his story would be different. Lorbek didn't appear to have any interest in coming over, then gets traded to SA and bam - he's interested.

My point is, it appears that the Indiana Pacers haven't fostered much of an identity with the foreign crowd, and I think that's a shame. I don't know why that is, they've cleared tried, but it just hasn't worked out. There's some good guys over there.

xBulletproof
07-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Why does San Antonio appeal to them? Maybe, just maybe, they look at the Pacers and don't see much of a trend for foreign players to succeed in Indiana, and why is that? Saras was a star over there, and he came over here and bombed. Chances are, had he landed with SA or Dallas, his story would be different.

Chances are that by being in SA or Dallas he's suddenly able to dribble against pressure without looking like a high school center on an NBA court, and he can suddenly play defense, even a little?

I severely doubt it. Just as I doubt if Dirk came here he would suck because of it

Sillyness.

Kid Minneapolis
07-11-2011, 09:10 PM
What's that gotta do with what I said? The point is, Indiana is not a hot destination for foreign guys.

peasouptexan7
07-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Good riddance. I understand the Spurs are a better team, but to say he's never coming over and then all of a sudden to change his stance just angers me. If he wanted to play in the strongest league in the world he could have done it with us a few years ago. If he doesn't want to be here, I don't want him so I'm gad the deal was made. Doesn't change how we should view it at all.

vnzla81
07-12-2011, 06:33 AM
By the way this is one reason why I am kind of happy that we didn't get a second round pick this year, people here seem to freakout about second rounders, I really hope he doesn't come to the US because I am pretty sure that we are going to get a new thread anytime the guy scores 10points.

Justin Tyme
07-12-2011, 12:30 PM
By the way this is one reason why I am kind of happy that we didn't get a second round pick this year, people here seem to freakout about second rounders, I really hope he doesn't come to the US because I am pretty sure that we are going to get a new thread anytime the guy scores 10points.

Are you referring to me? LOL!

I was not happy with the picks of Lorbeck or Stanko. I thought both were wasted picks, and I still do. If Stanko ever plays for the Pacers, it can always change my view, but I'm not holding my breath.

In defense of Bird(:eek:), the 07 draft 2nd round, only 3 players after #39 have ever achieved anything... Marc Gasol, Ramon Sessions, and Aaron Gray. In the 05 draft, Blatche, Gomes, and Marcin Gortat achieved anything of significance who were available.

"I know hindsight is 20/20", but if Bird had picked Euro players Marc Gasol in 07 and Marcin Gortat in 05, who were both available, instead of Euro players Lorbeck and Stanko things would be so much different at the Center position. One can only imagine the smashmouth BB those 2 could bring!!

Anthem
07-12-2011, 09:08 PM
What's that gotta do with what I said?
It's more than a little bit related.

xBulletproof
07-12-2011, 09:10 PM

Thank you.

I had a reply typed up, and just figured if one can't see how that's relevant, it's only because they don't want to see it. Felt like a lost cause at that point.

Anthem
07-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Thank you.

I had a reply typed up, and just figured if one can't see how that's relevant, it's only because they don't want to see it. Felt like a lost cause at that point.
Probably.

SMosley21
07-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Honestly, who cares? He's not in the Pacers organization anymore. He can give birth to a full grown mule for all I care. We got George Hill!

Eleazar
07-13-2011, 01:18 AM
This reflects poorly on Lorbek if you ask me.

Not only does it make him look like Rubio 2.0

From my experience with European soccer a large portion of Europeans are like that. Every year it seems like more and more Americans are too.

joeco
07-13-2011, 01:31 AM
this is more of a testament to the SA Spurs and their reputation of having a championship contender franchise than a knock on the Pacers. We've been out of the mix for years now, why should he leave his home if things are better for him there? Cant blame him whatsoever, its his life.

Gamble1
07-14-2011, 10:33 AM
this is more of a testament to the SA Spurs and their reputation of having a championship contender franchise than a knock on the Pacers. We've been out of the mix for years now, why should he leave his home if things are better for him there? Cant blame him whatsoever, its his life.
IT may have been a threat to FC Barc. for more money.
Lorbek said he is talking with FC Barcelona about a contract extension. He is close to getting an extension until June 2014 (http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/acb/20110714/lorbek-renueva-hasta-ano-2014/1078367.shtml). SPORT.es (http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/acb/20110714/lorbek-renueva-hasta-ano-2014/1078367.shtml)

Glad we still got George Hill.

Kid Minneapolis
07-14-2011, 12:46 PM

No, it's actually completely not. The reply missed my point entirely. Look at it:

Chances are that by being in SA or Dallas he's suddenly able to dribble against pressure without looking like a high school center on an NBA court, and he can suddenly play defense, even a little?

I severely doubt it. Just as I doubt if Dirk came here he would suck because of it

Sillyness.

He's acting like they didn't perform well here because it's Indiana, and had they gone elsewhere, they would've performed well. He's right, that is "sillyness" (and so is the way he spelled it). Or he may be saying that Saras bombed because he didn't play well, which I don't agree with, so either way, it's not what I said.

The point I'm trying to make is, foreign players don't want to come here.

I'm assuming he took the point from my Saras comment, but again... missed the point. It wasn't that Saras played horribly here... it's that the situation completely bombed for Saras. The system, the location --- it didn't work. And other foreign players look at that and say "ya... not gonna play there!" And am I saying that had Saras gone to say, SA or Dallas, he would've met success? Ya... I can completely see him having had a different outcome had he gone there. Those organizations have fostered situations that are successful for good foreign players to come over. For whatever reason --- Indiana has not. Pointing to one example of one big guy we drafted 23 years ago and had a good career isn't disproving my point.<!-- / message -->

tiMVP
07-14-2011, 01:17 PM

Lorbek to sign extension with Regal?

Written by Jeff Garcia | 14 July 2011

After it was reported that Erazem Lorbek was seriously thinking about heading to the NBA and joining the San Antonio Spurs, it would appear this may not be happening.

According to sport.es, Lorbek is looking to sign a two-year extension with his current team Regal FC Barcelona:

Lorbek said he was in the middle of negotiations with Barcelona to extend the contract. Joining the two concepts is clear that these talks are very close to completion with the player's contract extension until June 30, 2014.

As you may recall, his rights were acquired in a draft day deal with the Indiana Pacers. With the Spurs owning h is rights, Lorbek did say the possibility of joining the Spurs was interesting to him.

This news does not bode well for the Spurs and Lorbek. He is getting up in age (27) and with the Spurs looking to add size, it would appear Lorbek will not be an option - at least for the next two years.

xBulletproof
07-14-2011, 06:56 PM
He's acting like they didn't perform well here because it's Indiana, and had they gone elsewhere, they would've performed well. He's right, that is "sillyness"

Then ....

And am I saying that had Saras gone to say, SA or Dallas, he would've met success? Ya... I can completely see him having had a different outcome had he gone there.

Eh?

Saras would have bombed anywhere he played because he wasn't talented enough for the NBA, period. Which was my point, and apparently it was related to your point too, which is silly .... or not .... or plausible .... or something. :laugh:

ballism
07-14-2011, 07:08 PM
I guess he's trying to say that Lorbeks of the world don't watch the Pacers enough to know why Saras bombed, and only care about the simple fact he bombed (?).

Honestly, I don't believe Lorbek thinks about Saras all that much when he plans his future... There's a huge number of bigger reasons why Spurs may seem the better option.
And, as tiMVP pointed out, Spurs may not be an option in Lorbek's mind at all.

JBones19
07-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Who cares about Lorbek? The real Euro we should be ticked we missed out on a few years ago was Gregor F.ucka.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DIU_aQ7hmk&feature=related

ballism
07-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Who cares about Lorbek? The real Euro we should be ticked we missed out on a few years ago was Gregor F.ucka.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DIU_aQ7hmk&feature=related

That's ancient history. There were so many great Euros who should've been brought over in the early 90s... Bodiroga, Rigaudeau, Fuc.ka, Karnisovas, heck, there's some 10 great names from former Yugoslavia and USSR.
If we start to feel ticked about that, we'd get depressed really fast. Different times.

Anthem
07-14-2011, 11:54 PM
That's ancient history. There were so many great Euros who should've been brought over in the early 90s... Bodiroga, Rigaudeau, Fuc.ka, Karnisovas, heck, there's some 10 great names from former Yugoslavia and USSR.
If we start to feel ticked about that, we'd get depressed really fast. Different times.
I don't think he's referring to playing ability.

Anthem
07-14-2011, 11:55 PM
He's acting like they didn't perform well here because it's Indiana, and had they gone elsewhere, they would've performed well.
I doubt anybody else on the Digest interpreted his words in the same way as you.

Kid Minneapolis
07-15-2011, 01:24 AM
Then ....

Eh?

Saras would have bombed anywhere he played because he wasn't talented enough for the NBA, period. Which was my point, and apparently it was related to your point too, which is silly .... or not .... or plausible .... or something. :laugh:

I know that's yer point, but I don't agree with it... I don't think he was as bad as the situation made him look. I think had he gone to Dallas, he wouldn't have looked so out of place.