PDA

View Full Version : It will be foolish to break the bank on any of these FA's

Foul on Smits
07-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Nene? Come on. People on this board are so desperate right now, that they are willing to talk themselves into signing average players, thinking it will make the Pacers a contender. The fact is, Indiana is about 2 years from being a contender unless they can sign or trade for a top 20 player.

The smart move is to either make a big trade, or save your money, let the talent develope and see what's out there next year.

Just my opinion.

Pacers24Colts12
07-11-2011, 08:44 AM
I completely agree. Tyler will only be in his 3rd year. I'd rather see him get the minutes than see a guy that might get us 3-4 more wins.

Speed
07-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Nene? Come on. People on this board are so desperate right now, that they are willing to talk themselves into signing average players, thinking it will make the Pacers a contender. The fact is, Indiana is about 2 years from being a contender unless they can sign or trade for a top 20 player.

The smart move is to either make a big trade, or save your money, let the talent develope and see what's out there next year.

Just my opinion.

I always go back to a Danny Ainge interview I heard last year or so. Danny prefers to trade, you know what you are getting and for how long, moreso than a Free agent. His main contention is that Free Agent are almost always overpaid for their return, to paraphrase.

Sure you have to give up players in the process, but giving up too much money (salary allotment) can be just as harmful, if not more. With a trade, you don't have to worry if a guy will mail it in on a new big contract (if its his first or last big pay day). The player you trade for will get paid, hopefully, closer to his production, etc.

I agree with Danny Ainge, although, easy for him to say when you nail a couple of contender move trades with your old playing buddy, but still.

So ya, I could see the trade route as a definite possibility, especially with Pritchard on board. At least with him, I'll feel comfortable they probably exhausted every possible option via trade.

Hicks
07-11-2011, 01:17 PM
I think of Nene as above average myself, but even so it's certainly a risk to try to get him. Especially at a high price.