PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the 2011 Free Agent Class isn't as Bad as I Thought

07-09-2011, 11:51 PM
If there is a 2011 free agent class. Attached is a link to a Sport's Illustrated gallery of the top 2011 NBA free agents.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1107/nba-top-free-agents/content.1.html

dal9
07-10-2011, 12:01 AM
it seems pretty weak sauce to me. Grant Hill for MDJr swap would be sweet though.

but why is DeAndre Jordan's qualifying offer 1.1 mil? Is that a typo? What kind of contract is he going to get?

Heisenberg
07-10-2011, 12:11 AM
it seems pretty weak sauce to me. Grant Hill for MDJr swap would be sweet though.

but why is DeAndre Jordan's qualifying offer 1.1 mil? Is that a typo? What kind of contract is he going to get?
He was the 35th pick, that's why. One of those crazy draft slides. He was getting hyped as a top 10 guy then rumors came out, can't remember about what. "Terrible work ethic" or something.

SMosley21
07-10-2011, 12:12 AM
You posted a link to something that shows Nene as the #1 free agent available and Thaddeus Young as the #5 free agent available. How much worse does a free agent class get? You're really not making a good argument for your thread title.

Eleazar
07-10-2011, 02:12 AM
I think it depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for an overpriced forward that will be solid, but not a star this is a great FA market. If you are looking for what the Pacers are looking for there aren't many good options.

thefeistyone
07-10-2011, 07:58 AM
There are some good bench options. If you are looking to fill out your starting 5 with that list then you have some problems.

I would take a look at DeAndre Jordan if it didn't take much to get him as a back up big man. Other than that teams will overpay for Nene and West. Just save the cap space and try to make a couple upgrades via trades.

PacerDude
07-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Maybe the 2011 Free Agent Class isn't as Bad as I ThoughtYes, it is. At least for the Pacers, what they need to do, what they need financially ................. there's hardly anything/anyone that fits.

ensergio
07-10-2011, 12:47 PM
I won't mind to sign Jeff Green or Battier for the backup small forward position. Green doesn't fit in Boston, but is a good player. Battier is above average defense and pedigree.

Hicks
07-10-2011, 03:37 PM
I keep forgetting about Shane Battier. He would be an excellent addition to our bench.

imbtyler
07-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Even though our current wing situation is a little convoluted, I think Jamal Crawford would be quite an excellent pickup. With DC/GH, PG/GH, and DG/PG, we've still got Rush, Jones, and Stephenson to fit in somewhere. Now, the Pacers aren't done with their roster changes and such, so we should expect some more moves to happen post-lockout to clear up some space.

Crawford would bring great clutch, veteran leadership, and IQ to the team. He could be a third swingman between George, Hill, and Granger (PG/GH at 2, DG/PG at 3). On the chance Granger actually IS moved after gameplay begins this season, or if Hill was playing point guard, Crawford would become incredibly useful (Hill-Crawford-George).

Besides him, if DeAndre Jordan was actually only offered $1.1m from the Clippers, there is absolutely no reason the Pacers shouldn't try to pick him up. He's got a ton of potential, could be a smashmouth backup center behind Roy, and could be much less expensive than most expected him to be. And maybe if we bring DJ over, Blake will miss his BFF and want a trade. Then EJ will just walk on over when he realizes his team is dead.

:pray:

EDIT: in addition to being a strong roster piece, maybe Jamal Crawford could help improve Paul George's handles. Can you imagine seeing Paul master Crawford's Shake-and-Bake and making it into something of his own? Besides that, Crawford's also a quick shooter who may even be more clutch than George Hill; he'd immediately be the person to shoot the last shot in close games. If PG could work on his jumper with Crawford, too, it could only make him better.

PR07
07-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Even though our current wing situation is a little convoluted, I think Jamal Crawford would be quite an excellent pickup. With DC/GH, PG/GH, and DG/PG, we've still got Rush, Jones, and Stephenson to fit in somewhere. Now, the Pacers aren't done with their roster changes and such, so we should expect some more moves to happen post-lockout to clear up some space.

I would've agreed before we acquired George Hill. Now, Crawford would just be redundant.

For whoever mentioned Battier, I'd really like that pick-up. He seems like the type of player that Bird would simply love. Problem is, I don't know if he'd have a big enough role with us here to make him want to sign.

LA_Confidential
07-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Not bad in terms of solid role players and depth. This is the perfect FA class to pick up a quality bench guy on the cheap to replace Dunleavy and to ensure that Posey never logs another minute in a Pacers uni.

PS. Deandre Jordan is a starter in LA, why would he sign to be a back up here. I believe if we signed him, he'd start next to Roy as a shot blocker/rebounder then move to the 5 when Tyler comes in. He'd be cheaper than Nene but doesnt score as well, mostly put backs and ally oops but he's a nice defensive presence.

imbtyler
07-10-2011, 07:03 PM
I would've agreed before we acquired George Hill. Now, Crawford would just be redundant.

I couldn't agree more. But IF trading Granger for a star PF is part of Bird's current offseason plans, I'd be happy to pick up Crawford to play his "usual" 6th Man position. The starters would be DC/GH/PG/(PF)/Roy, Hill and Lancelot playing both guard positions, Crawford playing the swingman spot behind Hill and PG. Again, I don't really see us ridding Granger for anyone this offseason, but if I was picking a 2011 free agent to fill the spot, it'd be Crawford.

Not bad in terms of solid role players and depth. This is the perfect FA class to pick up a quality bench guy on the cheap to replace Dunleavy and to ensure that Posey never logs another minute in a Pacers uni.

PS. Deandre Jordan is a starter in LA, why would he sign to be a back up here. I believe if we signed him, he'd start next to Roy as a shot blocker/rebounder then move to the 5 when Tyler comes in. He'd be cheaper than Nene but doesnt score as well, mostly put backs and ally oops but he's a nice defensive presence.

I agree on most of this. I'm sure DJ can play one helluva starting PF, especially alongside Roy, and would make Tyler look great off the bench. Not only would we have our new Twin Towers, DJ would almost perfectly compensate for Tyler (tall, long, defensive, at-the-rim play vs. undersized but strong "beast mode" post play). Besides that, he's young (which is an advantage compared to Nene and David West), so if he remains loyal, he could be a very good long-term investment.

As far as this FA class being "deep" in the terms of role players and MDJ replacements, this couldn't be any truer. There are several good players in this class who we can pick up for less than MDJ's $10.6m he "earned" last year. Hell, we could use that $10.6m/year alone to sign two or three better players, if we wanted to (though unnecessary and not advised).

All in all, I just hope we have enough time before the season starts to make ANY moves. But even if we were "stuck" with this roster for this season, I believe we'd still make much more of an impact than we did last season. However, I'm still very sure that, FA "period" or not, Rush will at least be traded before the deadline.

LA_Confidential
07-10-2011, 09:02 PM
As painful as it may be to some members of PD, its darn near a guarantee that the FO will sign atleast one FA this year.

Heck two years ago they signed Earl Watson and Dahntay with virtaully no money to spend. Now they have a boat load of cash and some are expecting (more like hoping) that the FO sits on it? I dont think so.

While I agree that trade is the best route for improving this team, I am almost certain that one, possibly two FA will be signed, whenever the FA occurs.

danman
07-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Meh. We've got bench players. I could care less about getting guys of similar quality. Trade. Cap room gives some flexibility.

There's a chance that the new CBA will have a version of the Alan Houston rule -- that might create some decent free agents. Current crop is terrible.

Eleazar
07-11-2011, 12:02 AM

I agree, when I was looking through the list Jordan was the guy I wanted most because of his talent, age, and price I think he brings the most bang for your buck. Guys like Nene and West may be better they will just cost too much for what they bring.

As painful as it may be to some members of PD, its darn near a guarantee that the FO will sign atleast one FA this year.

Heck two years ago they signed Earl Watson and Dahntay with virtaully no money to spend. Now they have a boat load of cash and some are expecting (more like hoping) that the FO sits on it? I dont think so.

While I agree that trade is the best route for improving this team, I am almost certain that one, possibly two FA will be signed, whenever the FA occurs.

Yeah, but both Watson and Jones were cheap. Considering how this board thinks of Jones you would think he was making $8 million a year not $2.5 million. Watson at least was more to just fill out the roster. Anyways I don't think anyone is saying no to any free agent as it is they just don't want to overspend on a free agent.

For whoever mentioned Battier, I'd really like that pick-up. He seems like the type of player that Bird would simply love. Problem is, I don't know if he'd have a big enough role with us here to make him want to sign.

I completely agree about battier. He would be an excellent pick-up, but you are also right that we don't really have the PT for him to want to come. Danny is always going to get 36 to 40 minutes a game.

dal9
07-11-2011, 09:34 PM
He was the 35th pick, that's why. One of those crazy draft slides. He was getting hyped as a top 10 guy then rumors came out, can't remember about what. "Terrible work ethic" or something.

my bad, i forgot how the qualifying offer works.

clips can match anything, so the 1.1 mil is what he gets only if no team offers him a better offer sheet...obviously, he will get more...though i don't know how much more....

BringJackBack
07-12-2011, 02:01 AM
Where's Carl Landry in this list? xD

This list is really ordered terribly. :laugh:

BringJackBack
07-12-2011, 02:10 AM
As for who I'm interested in, I'll go with either of Nene/West/Landry at the four (I've been convinced that Landry would be a solid addition to be a stop gap). Nene would be the best option, if he can play the four. West is the biggest risk, but he also has the best chance of having the biggest impact on the team. West can potentially be our most consistent player next season. As for Landry, he is just a very solid stop gap solution, a lot like Andre Miller in Portland a couple years back.

I don't think we have a need for a backup three, as Granger/George/Hill/Lance will consume the wing spots. There won't be many minutes left. I'd love to have Battier/Grant Hill/Prince on our team, but we don't have minutes because the backup three spot is consumed by Paul George.

I AM interested in DeAndre Jordan. He is the yin to Roy's yang. He does everything that Roy doesn't, and Roy does everything that DeAndre doesn't. Plus he has room to improve. He'd be a huge piece in building the best bench in the league. A bench of Lance/Hill/George/Hansbrough/DeAndre is just flat out sick.

naptownmenace
07-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Meh. We've got bench players. I could care less about getting guys of similar quality. Trade. Cap room gives some flexibility.

There's a chance that the new CBA will have a version of the Alan Houston rule -- that might create some decent free agents. Current crop is terrible.

Yes, I hope they have some sort of Amnesty Clause. If so, Rashard Lewis would be an interesting player to take a look at. He can play PF alongside Danny and provide some added spacing, scoring, and rebounding. He's like Troy Murphy with defense which is the same as saying he's nothing like Troy Murphy. :D

Speed
07-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Yes, I hope they have some sort of Amnesty Clause. If so, Rashard Lewis would be an interesting player to take a look at. He can play PF alongside Danny and provide some added spacing, scoring, and rebounding. He's like Troy Murphy with defense which is the same as saying he's nothing like Troy Murphy. :D

Not saying he's not capable, but the last 4 or 5 times I've seen him play, he's really not good. Not like not good for what he's paid, but not good, like not good, like not a rotation player on a good team. He looked disinterested to me. I like the idea of even a 75% of a Good Rashard, but man thats not what I saw.

Hibbert
07-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Yeah Glen Davis on a top 10 anything good list is pretty awful, this class is one of the worst ever, if not, the worst ever....

Gamble1
07-12-2011, 12:56 PM

What is Deandre Jordans price tag. IS it 8 mill per year or 10. The difference is that we still don't know if he is a quality starter or if he just a quality backup.

I have to big concerns about DJ that I think someone could help me out with. One is his jump shot range and the other is his defensive awareness. I know a lot of posters get all excited over potential but he fouls a lot for a big man and putting him further away from the basket with quick pf's would concern me overall if he has a low BBIQ

IF you put him next to Hibbert then he also needs to be able to hit a jumper to keep defensives honest. It seems to me also that teams would foul him a lot because his free throw shooting is terrible. Its worse than Shaq terrible which would kill us in the playoffs.

If the price is right then I would like DJ but he isn't worth what I think the Clippers would match.

Lance George
10-31-2011, 08:00 PM
RealGM • View Topic - Most Underrated Pending Free Agent? (http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1135673)

I thought some here might enjoy reading the above. There may not be any superstars, and few major impact players, but there will be a lot of very solid, above-average players available.

Sparhawk
10-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Nene and Battier. Done.

Kemo
10-31-2011, 11:00 PM
Even though our current wing situation is a little convoluted, I think Jamal Crawford would be quite an excellent pickup.

LOL, ya foreal.
Especially since he is better than MJ and all ..

heh

Hicks
10-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Kemo, you've got the wrong Crawford.

Trader Joe
10-31-2011, 11:31 PM
I keep forgetting about Shane Battier. He would be an excellent addition to our bench.

And, I think this is the path you go this year when you finally have the lockout over. Use a small chunk on 2 solid vets to work on the bench or be spot starters. Wait for the summer to see if you can reel in a big fish.

However, don't use marlin bait on the tuna(Nene, D. West)

Kemo
10-31-2011, 11:59 PM
ya my bad, lol you're right..

pacer4ever
11-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Battier is not coming to Indy no chance in hell.

PacerGuy
11-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Battier is not coming to Indy no chance in hell.

Please explain.
Opportunity and available $ could be in our favor vs some others, depending on the new CBA conditions. Amnisty & new cap/tax rules may change the look of some teams in a significant way.
Also, IMO the G.Hill trade may open some eyes to coming here, & if another significant FA were to sign (Nene, J.Richardson, ?), we do not look that bad. We need what he has, & he would get PT here. If I'm TPTB, I think I might be willing to over pay for his leadership because that is a HUGE need for us! (even greater then a new PF IMO)

BRushWithDeath
11-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Battier wants to win.

Speed
11-01-2011, 08:33 AM
In general, I'm okay for somewhat overpaying for an impact/starting Free Agent. I am not for overpaying for a fringe bench guy Free Agent who may or may not make a difference.

Battier may be the exception to that, since he brings leadership intangibles and your defense improves across the board from his prescence.

That said, I still wouldn't dramatically overpay him.

Pacers have enough average, one way players, historically. I'd like to see the money spent in a way that makes a pretty big difference.

90'sNBARocked
11-01-2011, 10:16 AM

No doubt

I tend to believe though, at this point in his career, he probably wants to compete for a title

PacerGuy
11-01-2011, 10:21 AM
In general, I'm okay for somewhat overpaying for an impact/starting Free Agent. I am not for overpaying for a fringe bench guy Free Agent who may or may not make a difference.

Battier may be the exception to that, since he brings leadership intangibles and your defense improves across the board from his prescence.

That said, I still wouldn't dramatically overpay him.

Pacers have enough average, one way players, historically. I'd like to see the money spent in a way that makes a pretty big difference.

I agree with all of this.
Yes, I would over-pay, but I agree, not drasticlly.
But as you pointed out, it is his leadership, defense, and all the intangibles he brings that are many times the things that is hard to put a dollar value on. We are so young, and lack a defined leader, that a Battier type would be a blessing. Not only would he bring experience and maturity to a roster in need of both, but he would be respected because he is a "lead by example" kind of guy. I would love for him/ someone like him to help mentor Danny as a leader in the locker room.
Sometimes those we preceive as a leader, or someone we expect to be a leader is not qualified to do so. In many cases it is the person just behind the sceans that may not have the status but has the skill set that has this person's ear that is the most important person on a team. D.Fisher is like this in LA. Kobe is the preceived leader of that team, but it is D.Fisher that keeps Kobe in line and is the compass to that team. D.Fisher is in many ways is the MVP of that team. To me, Battier could be that to Danny. I see Danny as a willing leader, but one who just doesn't know exactly how. Add a Battier type to a G.Hill to this roster & I love what that could mean to our youth going forward.

wintermute
11-01-2011, 11:12 AM
I like Battier well enough but where will we play him? With Granger taking the majority of SF minutes and Paul George probably getting the rest, Battier seems like a luxury we can do without.

If we're ignoring positions, the two players I'd look at hard are Rodney Stuckey and Thad Young. Both are restricted free agents though but I think there's a decent chance that either or both would change teams.

The 2011 free agent batch lacks star power at the top, but it actually includes a pretty deep group of big men, i.e. Marc Gasol, Nene, Tyson Chandler, David West all would be starters. A step below (IMO) but still likely starters would include the likes of DeAndre Jordan, Dalembert, Humphries. If you're shopping for bigs (which we are), 2011 is not a bad year.

On my underrated list: Chuck Hayes and Earl Clark. I think Clark can emerge as a surprise, while Hayes has been (criminally) underrated all along.

Hicks
11-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Battier wants to win.

Oh, snap! You got the team again!

You are a fan of the franchise... right? :hmm:

Mackey_Rose
11-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Oh, snap! You got the team again!

You are a fan of the franchise... right? :hmm:

Regardless of what you believe, this team is not capable of competing for a championship in the very near term.

Hicks
11-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Not my point.

CableKC
11-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Does the list include Players that will potentially be "Amnestied" like Arenas, BDiddy and Rashard Lewis?

Lance George
11-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Battier's almost as washed-up as James Posey at this point. Unless he comes cheap, I'd pass. My guess is that he finds a championship contender to coattail.

pacergod2
11-01-2011, 01:00 PM
McRoberts, Foster, W. Chandler, T. Chandler, Reggie Williams, Arron Afflalo, Gasol, Nene, West, and D. Jordan are the guys I would be considering.

Lance George
11-01-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm just throwin' this out there...

Greg Oden: I Am Able to Run Again - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/32963805)

December 5, 2009. That's the last time Portland Trail Blazers (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/POR) center Greg Oden (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1231890) played in an NBA game.

Needless to say the last two years have been a long journey. Oden has endured multiple knee surgeries and sweated through endless rehabilitation since that last game, against the Houston Rockets (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/HOU). His agent said that he underwent interventions (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/30055052), he visited a sports psychologist and he told a newspaper that he had "definitely cut back" on drinking and partying.

Back in June, the Blazers extended Oden an $8.8 million qualifying offer (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/30330211) on the hope that he might make good on the potential they saw when they made the 7-footer the No. 1 pick in the 2007 NBA Draft.

The details of Oden's current rehabilitation have remained mostly a mystery, as he has been virtually invisible during the lockout, working out in Los Angeles and only rarely agreeing to interviews.

On Thursday, Oden provided the first true update to his status in months on his official Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/ajax/sharer/?s=22&appid=25554907596&p%5B0%5D=10685374714&p%5B1%5D=10150432935519715).

"In LA right now working out," Oden wrote. "I ran the other day for the first time in awhile. Felt good!"

The message comes two weeks after Oden noted (http://www.facebook.com/ajax/sharer/?s=22&appid=25554907596&p%5B0%5D=10685374714&p%5B1%5D=10150414046739715): "Hoping this lockout ends soon."

Back in April (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/28393226), Oden said that he was "nowhere near" returning to the court and that being able to run was "over five months away." 6 1/2 months later, running is finally in his rearview.

What does that mean for his future availability? Well, it's one indication that he is on -- or nearly on -- schedule. In June, Oden's agent, Bill Duffy, said it could be January 2012 before Oden returns to the court. By comparison, Oden missed 13 months after undergoing microfracture surgery prior to his rookie season. A January return would mean a 14-month recovery from his most recent microfracture surgery, which was performed less than one year after he underwent surgery on the same knee to repair a fractured patella.

The Blazers are seemingly tied to Oden for the long haul despite his injury history. Aging center Marcus Camby (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/6505) or playing franchise power forward LaMarcus Aldridge (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1113136) out of position are their only other options in the middle. Oden is set to enter restricted free agency once the ongoing NBA lockout is lifted, but it's unclear what his market value will be. It's also unclear whether he would prefer to sign the one-year qualifying offer with the Blazers so that he could become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2012 or to negotitate a long-term extension.

Oden, now 23, has played in just 82 games combined in the four seasons since he was drafted out of The Ohio State University. He has posted career averages of 9.4 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in 22.1 minutes per game.

BRushWithDeath
11-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Not my point.

It was mine.

Somebody was asked to explain just why there was "no chance in hell" of Battier being a Pacer.

The answer is Battier is looking to compete for a championship. He wouldn't be doing that here.

This team is getting better. But they are not close to a contender. Battier doesn't change that. Battier and David West (or Nene but that's not going to happen) doesn't change that either.

pacergod2
11-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Another player I am interested in is Tracy McGrady. I scoffed at it at first, but the more I think about it, the more I think he would be a good presence for some of these young talented guys for building their scoring prowess. I think he would fit a nice role where he could still get some decent minutes if he is down to a few options and we have a roster spot at the end of free agency. I wouldn't go pay him $5M/year or anything remotely close. I would give him a one year deal and even pay him a touch more than a minimum contract even as much as $3M on a one year rental. This is all on the assumption that he comes cheap and without an intrusive ego.

CableKC
11-02-2011, 04:30 AM
Another player I am interested in is Tracy McGrady. I scoffed at it at first, but the more I think about it, the more I think he would be a good presence for some of these young talented guys for building their scoring prowess. I think he would fit a nice role where he could still get some decent minutes if he is down to a few options and we have a roster spot at the end of free agency. I wouldn't go pay him $5M/year or anything remotely close. I would give him a one year deal and even pay him a touch more than a minimum contract even as much as $3M on a one year rental. This is all on the assumption that he comes cheap and without an intrusive ego.
I am guessing that he too will be a ring-chaser and go to one of the SuperTeams like the Knicks, Lakers or Miami to give those Teams more depth.

He's at the point where he doesn't really need the $$$, can still contribute to a certain degree and ( I'm guessing ) he wants to win a ring.

CableKC
11-02-2011, 04:35 AM
I'm just throwin' this out there...

Greg Oden: I Am Able to Run Again - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/32963805)
The question is how much you want to pay him...cuz if it's anything that isn't considered outrageous...the Blazers will simply match the offer.

I'd be okay with signing him as a Backup Center playing 16-20 mpg...but I have a feeling that it is not something that he is looking for...and at the price of a solid Backup Center ( $4 to 5+ mil a year )....I could see the Blazers matching that type of offer.

CableKC
11-02-2011, 04:43 AM
McRoberts, Foster, W. Chandler, T. Chandler, Reggie Williams, Arron Afflalo, Gasol, Nene, West, and D. Jordan are the guys I would be considering.
Players that I consider realistic options are Reggie Williams ( purely as a "poor man's JRich" scoring Wingman that can play next to PG and Granger ), Foster ( for obvious reasons ) and David West ( only cuz he seems to be the type of Player that Bird is looking for ).

I'd love to go after both Chandlers ( Tyson and Wilson ) and Afflalo, but I suspect that Tyson is going to stay in Dallas....whereas the only hope that I have is that we go after either Afflalo or Wilson ( whichever RFA that the Nuggets decides to let go ).

Foul on Smits
11-02-2011, 07:52 AM
If the Pacers waste all there money on this FA class, it might set them back another 10 y years. Save the money for next year. Keep developing the payers we have. That's the smartest thing Bird could do.

NapTonius Monk
11-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Players that I consider realistic options are Reggie Williams ( purely as a "poor man's JRich" scoring Wingman that can play next to PG and Granger ), Foster ( for obvious reasons ) and David West ( only cuz he seems to be the type of Player that Bird is looking for ).

I'd love to go after both Chandlers ( Tyson and Wilson ) and Afflalo, but I suspect that Tyson is going to stay in Dallas....whereas the only hope that I have is that we go after either Afflalo or Wilson ( whichever RFA that the Nuggets decides to let go ).
With Wilson Chandler over in China with no opt out, I'd say it's a good bet they match any offer Afflalo gets, within reason.

pacer4ever
11-02-2011, 09:46 AM
With Wilson Chandler over in China with no opt out, I'd say it's a good bet they match any offer Afflalo gets, within reason.
Wilson and JR can leave China whenever they wish. Earl Clark didnt have an NBA out and already left. They just ask for there release from their team and the team will grant it. There was an article on this loophole a while back.

here is the article on it

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/33050631

pacergod2
11-02-2011, 09:46 AM
If the Pacers waste all there money on this FA class, it might set them back another 10 y years. Save the money for next year. Keep developing the payers we have. That's the smartest thing Bird could do.

But what about the theory that we need to bring someone in this year to make us more attractive to next year's free agent class?

I otherwise agree with you. I would be looking to fill out the roster with guys on one year deals, unless it is McRoberts and whatever other big we sign. Foster I would probably sign one year at a time at this point. We can clear enough space for next year to offer someone a solid sized deal before we have to make a move for our young, restricted players.

Gamble1
11-02-2011, 12:00 PM
But what about the theory that we need to bring someone in this year to make us more attractive to next year's free agent class?

I hate to say this but thats probably the only way we get a big time FA in 2012.

The 2012 FA class has 3 superstar UFA's which every team will position themselves to get. This number probably drops to 2 or even 1 when the market opens up for them as their current teams will want something in return via a trade. So where does that put the Pacers? Outside looking in if there isn't something more than Danny G in a Pacers Uni.

The rest of the 2012 FA class is either a RFA who will get matched like Eric Gordon or too old to even consider like a Billups.

My guess is that Bird can make out like a bandit by trading with the teams that are trying to shed salary in order to get the big 3. I think this is more likely than Pacers actually signing one.

pacergod2
11-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Can somebody who has a twitter account ask Roy Hibbert what he thought about playing with and against Nene when they were both in San Antonio?

Pacer Fan
11-04-2011, 11:00 PM
If anyone is enterested, here is a full list by position.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2011-free-agents-position-by-position/

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2012-nba-free-agents/

xIndyFan
11-04-2011, 11:54 PM
If anyone is enterested, here is a full list by position.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2011-free-agents-position-by-position/

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2012-nba-free-agents/

lot's of really really bad PG's on the market this year. :laugh: