PDA

View Full Version : Landry article from Journal and Courier

dal9
07-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Link (http://www.jconline.com/article/20110709/SPORTS02010201/107090333/Former-Purdue-star-s-next-NBA-destination-unknown?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p)

Interesting, does not seem too stoked to stay in N.O., but mentions Indy and Milwaukee...I actually think he would fit well with the Bucks.

Will Carl Landry return to the New Orleans Hornets after averaging 15.8 points and five rebounds in the 2011 NBA Playoffs?

Or, could the former Purdue power forward end up with the Indiana Pacers or his hometown Milwaukee Bucks?

For now, Landry is playing the waiting game as an unrestricted free agent while the NBA and the players union attempts to reach a new collective bargaining agreement.

Unlike some of his peers, the lockout isn't creating sleepless nights for the four-year NBA veteran. He earned $3 million in each of the past two seasons and says he has done a good job taking care of his money.

But because the 6-foot-9, 248-pound Landry, 28, is a free agent, he is eager to resolve his contract and learn where he will be playing next season.

"I'm not worried," Landry said Friday afternoon. "I'm sure the lockout will end one day. I just don't know when. A lot of guys are trying to play overseas and make a little extra cash while this lockout is going on, but unfortunately in my case, I'm a free agent, so the smart thing for me is not looking into going overseas.

"Anything can happen. You prepare for the worst and hope for the best. If I would go over there and suffer an injury, then the lockout ends and I'm not able to sign the big deal that I'm hoping for. The lockout is just going to be a matter of time. I've saved my money over the past couple of years. I will be all right."

Along with point guard Chris Paul, Landry helped the Hornets advance to the NBA playoffs after being traded from Sacramento late in the 2010-2011 season.

Landry played extremely well in a six-game series loss to the Los Angeles Lakers. That solid performance should help Landry sign a lucrative contract.

"My dream always was to play in the NBA," Landry said. "Playing in New Orleans is fine. I'm comfortable there. I'm glad to be there. I feel like I was a productive player in their rotation. I brought something to the table every night. I feel wanted there.

"But I would play in Indiana for the Pacers, and I'm from Milwaukee, so I wouldn't mind going back there. You just never know where I will end up. I'm more than happy to play anywhere as long as I am playing in the NBA."

story continued at link

OakMoses
07-09-2011, 10:19 PM
I would rather have Landry than West.

D0NT SH0OT ME
07-09-2011, 10:26 PM
While he isn't the best fit for the Pacers, it sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and I sure wouldn't mind getting him if we are unable to acquire a higher level player. E.g. Al Jefferson, Paul Milsap, Nene.

Hoop
07-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Me too, and he should be cheaper.

I'd rather have the bigger Nene over both, so he can play PF\C.

Ozwalt72
07-09-2011, 10:36 PM
I don't know. If he's cheap, wants to come here and is okay with playing 20-24mpg....I'd love to have him here. The problem is he is not a good rebounder (though I think he's better than the numbers say) and can't play center. Which are weaknesses of our own Tyler Hansbrough.

It could work though if we had him and Hans playing PF and a decent 15-20 mpg backup for Hibbert at center. Throw in a bit of Foster for insurance and playoff fouls, we'd have a solid 5 bigs.

Hicks
07-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Landry would seem to be the economical choice to make. I don't think he's much better than Tyler, though. In fact, you might argue he is now what Tyler hopes to become.

With that said, I've mentioned before that I'm fine with this because I'd rather have a Landry/Hansbrough tandem at PF while we wait for "Mr. Right" to come along than Tyler and someone worse than Landry.

Young
07-09-2011, 10:56 PM
I'd much rather sign Landry than West or even Nene. West and Nene = a lot of money and I don't really think either is exactly what the Pacers need although Nene is close.

Sandman21
07-09-2011, 11:20 PM
I'd rather have Landry than West.

Nene, Landry, Humphries, West, in that order.

ColeTheMole
07-09-2011, 11:31 PM
I'd rather have Landry than West.

Nene, Landry, Humphries, West, in that order.

What is all this anti-West bandwagon all of the sudden? It's coming on stronger than the bulls bandwagon did last year.

dal9
07-09-2011, 11:33 PM
[...] I'd rather have a Landry/Hansbrough tandem at PF while we wait for "Mr. Right" to come along than Tyler and someone worse than Landry.

can't argue with that!

Sandman21
07-09-2011, 11:36 PM
What is all this anti-West bandwagon all of the sudden? It's coming on stronger than the bulls bandwagon did last year.

I really don't want us investing our finally obtained cap space in a guy on the wrong side of 30 coming off a major knee injury.

SMosley21
07-09-2011, 11:40 PM
I keep seeing people say that Landry is what we think Hansbrough can eventually be. I don't see how that's a bad thing. When West went down, Landry stepped in and played like a very solid starting PF on a decent team in the Western Conference. As a starter, Landry averaged 14 and 6 per game. If we have TWO power forwards who can put up those type of numbers, what's the need for someone like Nene who has a career average that's pretty much identical but would cost us about $5-7 million more per season?

spazzxb
07-09-2011, 11:42 PM

He is an older player coming off an injury. We have a young growing team and West just doesn't mesh well with that. Thats my problem with him anyway. Whomever we invest money in needs to be in there prime a couple years from now. I assume West wants more than a three year contract right?

CableKC
07-10-2011, 01:49 AM
I would rather sit through a full season lockout so that we save our cap room for the 2012-2013 Free Agent Market then take on either ;)

CableKC
07-10-2011, 01:54 AM
I will welcome David West if he suits up in a Pacer uniform....but I will tell you that I would be slightly disappointed.

I want a Smashmouth Frontcourt that builds upon what we threw against the Bulls in the Playoffs. That means that I want a bruiser and Big Man that will bang inside the paint and not give an inch much like Foster did for us.....to me ( and I am guessing many ), David West isn't exactly that guy that I feel would fits that description.

Doddage
07-10-2011, 02:01 AM
Landry is a very solid player. I just don't know if I'm very high on the idea of him as our answer at PF.

Now, with that said, would I take him if the price wasn't too steep? Hell yeah.

CableKC
07-10-2011, 02:19 AM
He is an older player coming off an injury. We have a young growing team and West just doesn't mesh well with that. Thats my problem with him anyway. Whomever we invest money in needs to be in there prime a couple years from now. I assume West wants more than a three year contract right?
One more thing to add......to me....if the Pacers are going to spend top $$$ ( $12-14+ mil a year ) on a Starting Quality Big Man to play next to Hibbert ( specifically a Starting Quality PF ), it would be a requirement ( at least for me ) that this Player also be a Big Man that can play next to Hansbrough. At a minimum....Hansbrough is going to have to play 24+ minutes a game next season.....only at the PF spot since he is CLEARLY NOT a Center. If we are paying $12 to 14 mil a year for a Starting quality PF...he better be playing 30+ minutes a game....IMHO split time between the PF ( 22 to 24 mpg ) and Center ( 6 to 8 mpg ) spots.

David West does not fit that description very well......Big Men like Nene, Humphries and ( to a certain extent ) Tyson Chandler can.

Kegboy
07-10-2011, 08:35 AM
I actually think he would fit well with the Bucks.

Agreed. I think he'd fit really well there.

As for us, I don't know.

Hicks
07-10-2011, 09:17 AM
I would rather sit through a full season lockout so that we save our cap room for the 2012-2013 Free Agent Market then take on either ;)

I read/heard somewhere that if the season is lost, they may just push all if the contracts back a year, so this might not work.

ECKrueger
07-10-2011, 11:55 AM
I agree with most in here. I would take Landry over West easy. Actually, Landry may be my #1 target. He is solid, but won't cost a ton while we wait for "Mr. Right," as Hicks said. I would love Nene, but I think he will want a lot and nothing else excites me. Landry is just a good safe move to tide us over until Player X comes along in my opinion.

imawhat
07-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I think "what can player x add to the team that we don't already have and what would he take away" should be asked about every potential free agent signee.

I don't think he'd add much to the current team, and I think he'd take away from our defense and rebounding. I think Tyler is already better than him. They're very similar players, except Tyler's better at defending and rebounding.

ECKrueger
07-10-2011, 02:49 PM
You forgot that he could add 3-point shooting:

This summer, Landry's priority is improving his 3-point shooting. He wants to become a consistent 3-point threat for the team that signs him.

pacer4ever
07-10-2011, 03:01 PM
You forgot that he could add 3-point shooting:

that would make Jimmy proud :D

LetsTalkPacers
07-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I still prefer Dalembert

xBulletproof
07-10-2011, 04:48 PM
I swear every free agent this year is a near replica of what we already have. Even in a weak FA class we can't get the type of players we need available even just for good depth. C'mon good trades.

PR07
07-10-2011, 05:38 PM
I don't think he's a big upgrade to Hansbrough, but he would definitely help...and worst case scenario down the road, his contract should be movable. If West never fully recovers from that knee surgery, we could be looking at an Elton Brand Jr. contract. I'd still prefer NeNe over all other free agent options.

Pacerized
07-10-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't think he's a big upgrade to Hansbrough, but he would definitely help...and worst case scenario down the road, his contract should be movable. If West never fully recovers from that knee surgery, we could be looking at an Elton Brand Jr. contract. I'd still prefer NeNe over all other free agent options.

I completely agree. We need a PF that can play a lot of time at center if needed, not a PF that can play SF. There is no other free agent that meets our needs like Nene.

docpaul
07-10-2011, 06:31 PM
With equivalent $'s... do you take Landry or McRoberts... I think that's the more pertinent question to answer at this time?

It's not a black and white answer for me, at least, as their games are a lot different. I've been a Landry fan for some time now, but McRoberts hasn't completed his evolution, IMO. If McRoberts showed a little better back-to-the-basket game, I think it leans in McBobs favor.

ColeTheMole
07-10-2011, 07:36 PM
I just don't understand how people can prefer Landry to West. West was an all-star. Landry has no where near all-star numbers. Then you say "Oh he hasn't shown his whole potential." I thought we didn't want another project? I would rather take a true good player then another one with "potential" in this situation. And if no everyone is okay with Landry's production now, just let Tyler log huge minutes. Goofy double standards.

PR07
07-10-2011, 07:51 PM
I just don't understand how people can prefer Landry to West. West was an all-star. Landry has no where near all-star numbers. Then you say "Oh he hasn't shown his whole potential." I thought we didn't want another project? I would rather take a true good player then another one with "potential" in this situation. And if no everyone is okay with Landry's production now, just let Tyler log huge minutes. Goofy double standards.

It's not really hard to understand. David West is going to be 31 years old and is coming off major knee surgery. Not only that, but he will command a likely double digit annual figure. When you look at how someone like Elton Brand never recovered and now has an albatross contract, how could someone not be at least a little nervous? Landry is younger, cheaper, and more durable as far as I'm concerned right now. Is he better? Maybe not, but he also comes with a heck of a lot less risk.

ECKrueger
07-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Because Landry nor West is the answer. West was hurt and will cost more. No one thinks Landry is better or the PF of the future. Just a short term fix.

Anthem
07-10-2011, 08:17 PM
I want a bruiser and Big Man that will bang inside the paint and not give an inch much like Foster did for us.....to me ( and I am guessing many ), David West isn't exactly that guy that I feel would fits that description.
Nor does Landry.

If the price is right, let's pick up a piece. But that addition wouldn't complete the frontcourt.

Anthem
07-10-2011, 08:19 PM
With equivalent $'s... do you take Landry or McRoberts... I think that's the more pertinent question to answer at this time?

It's not a black and white answer for me, at least, as their games are a lot different. I've been a Landry fan for some time now, but McRoberts hasn't completed his evolution, IMO. If McRoberts showed a little better back-to-the-basket game, I think it leans in McBobs favor.
That's a fantastic question, and my answer is McBob.

My second preference is "Both." Those two guys aren't redundant.

vnzla81
07-10-2011, 09:49 PM

I don't see Mcbob getting any better in his back to the basket game, he is an small forward with not shooting. Tyler/Landry> Tyler/ Mcbob for sure.

CableKC
07-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Nor does Landry.

If the price is right, let's pick up a piece. But that addition wouldn't complete the frontcourt.
How many Frontcourt Players are you going to add to complete Frontcourt?

We already have Hibbert and Hansbrough...both getting a total of ( at least ) 54 to 58 mpg between the two of them. That would leave about 38 to 42 minutes left to split between Landry and whoever.

To me, if we are signing a Starting Quality PF...whether it be Landry, West, Nene, Chandler or Humphries.....that guy better be playing at least 28 to 30 minutes. In my view....there isn't much room to add anyone else of value...even if Landry is that guy. Whoever that is that you think of adding would only play about 8 to 10 minutes.

PR07
07-10-2011, 11:34 PM
I don't see Mcbob getting any better in his back to the basket game, he is an small forward with not shooting. Tyler/Landry> Tyler/ Mcbob for sure.

I'd actually take McBob because he can play some center too.

Anthem
07-10-2011, 11:56 PM
How many Frontcourt Players are you going to add to complete Frontcourt?
Injuries happen. Fouls happen. Ideally, you'd like to go into the season with 4 decent bigs that can fit together.

If you can snap up Landry and McBob without overpaying, then great. But I'd be looking to move him immediately for a better PF.

If his cost is too high, then just pick up Josh and let Foster be the fourth big. Josh and Tyler can play together, Josh and Roy can play together, Roy and Tyler can play together. Jeff backs them all up.

Anthem
07-10-2011, 11:58 PM
You can't play Tyler and Landry together, that's insane. You CAN play Tyler and McBob together.

vnzla81
07-11-2011, 12:30 AM
You can't play Tyler and Landry together, that's insane. You CAN play Tyler and McBob together.

Nobody is saying that, stop overreacting.

redfoster
07-11-2011, 12:57 AM

Nobody is saying that, stop overreacting.
Is that what passes for an overreaction now?

CableKC
07-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Injuries happen. Fouls happen. Ideally, you'd like to go into the season with 4 decent bigs that can fit together.

If you can snap up Landry and McBob without overpaying, then great. But I'd be looking to move him immediately for a better PF.

If his cost is too high, then just pick up Josh and let Foster be the fourth big. Josh and Tyler can play together, Josh and Roy can play together, Roy and Tyler can play together. Jeff backs them all up.
I'm not as concerned about the 4th / 5th Big Man on the roster.....sure, I'd be okay with Foster and/or McBob being that guy that plays behind Hibbert, whatever other Frontcourt Player we sign and Hansbrough....but my primary concern is who that Starting PF is. You dont sign a player like Landry at whatever likely cost he will come to play backup minutes....for his likely cost IMHO he should be playing Starter minutes. Specifically, whoever the FO signs...better fit into the lineup with both Hibbert and Hansbrough ( hence my requirement that he be a Starting Quality PF who can play some backup minutes next to Hansbrough as a backup Center ).

That doesn't rule out getting Foster to be that 4th Big Man....it just narrows the type of PF that I want in the Frontcourt.

docpaul
07-11-2011, 01:20 AM
That's a fantastic question, and my answer is McBob.

My second preference is "Both." Those two guys aren't redundant.

Yes. I don't think they'll pay for both though.

I'd be willing to bet that it's one or the other. If McBob gets lots of crazy offers, we'll make a run at Landry.

To me, Humphries, Landry, McRoberts... they're all in that same "nice bench player, will give you meaningful minutes" category.

Our Player X starter quality "take it to the next level" player is definitely a 4 IMO, and I'd lean towards Milsap personally.

Psyren
07-11-2011, 01:51 AM

I suppose you can player Tyler and McBob together, but it likely would be a disaster.

Neither are very good defensively, and McBob usually just goes and swats at the ball instead of actually grabbing it when he goes for a rebound.

And yes, you can play Tyler and Landry together. It would just have the same result as Tyler/McBob.

A disaster in both cases.

Speed
07-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Hey, let's get a starting PF, and one that is CLEARLY better than Tyler, if you are going to spend too much money on a Free Agent.

Humphries and Landry do not qualify, imo.

Also, neither have any positional flexibility.

I think there has to be a better fit than either of those two, especially when you have to bid for their services aka it won't be cheap.

Speed
07-11-2011, 09:00 AM
On a side note: After re watching some games from last year. Its was that basically only Paul George could run the break consistently with DC. A bunch of missed opportunities in using one of DCs strengths. If one of these Power Forwards they are looking at could run the break at an elite level, I'd be more forgiving of the lack of improvement over TH and limited positional flexibility.

I'm not positive, but I don't think Carl or Humphries are this player. Maybe you are looking at a Thadeus Young if you account for this ideation.

sethro
07-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Wow, you just described McRoberts, a PF that can run the break. There aren't many guys like that out there.

Lance George
07-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Rookie Landry was on pace to be a future double-double stud. Unfortunately, since then, his rebounding has plummeted:

Total Reb. %
07-08: 16.4
08-09: 13.6
09-10: 10.9
10-11: 10.0

It's went down every season of his career. He rebounded like a small forward last year; 6.2 rp36. Pathetic for a 6'9", 250 banger.

Ozwalt72
07-11-2011, 10:00 AM
It's went down every season of his career. He rebounded like a small forward last year; 6.2 rp36. Pathetic for a 6'9", 250 banger.

Main reason I don't want him.

Also the main reason I'd be happy with Humphries at a decent price.. (Though I don't know what qualifies as a decent price)

Gamble1
07-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Main reason I don't want him.

Also the main reason I'd be happy with Humphries at a decent price.. (Though I don't know what qualifies as a decent price)
I think Humph should get paid around 6-7 mill per year and Landry is more of a 6 mill per year in the new CBA.

It's not really hard to understand. David West is going to be 31 years old and is coming off major knee surgery. Not only that, but he will command a likely double digit annual figure. When you look at how someone like Elton Brand never recovered and now has an albatross contract, how could someone not be at least a little nervous? Landry is younger, cheaper, and more durable as far as I'm concerned right now. Is he better? Maybe not, but he also comes with a heck of a lot less risk.

Pre injury yes post injury no. Honestly I think Dwest opted out because next year he would have only made 7.5 mill. If someone offers him 10 million a year I would be shocked especially if the owners are bent on lowering the cap.

CableKC
07-11-2011, 11:59 AM
I think Humph should get paid around 6-7 mill per year and Landry is more of a 6 mill per year in the new CBA.
If both could be had for the same price......I'd rather get Humphries then Landry.

IMHO...Humphries better complements Hansbrough and Hibbert while Landry duplicates many of the attributes/skills that Hansbrough already brings to the table.

Gamble1
07-11-2011, 01:22 PM
If both could be had for the same price......I'd rather get Humphries then Landry.

IMHO...Humphries better complements Hansbrough and Hibbert while Landry duplicates many of the attributes/skills that Hansbrough already brings to the table.
Well I agree with you about that. Humphries would be a good addition to the team but the real problem that I see is that New Jersey is willing to pay him his market value. They have a clear upper hand IMO while the Hornets don't when it comes to Landry.

Hicks
07-11-2011, 01:25 PM
On a side note: After re watching some games from last year. Its was that basically only Paul George could run the break consistently with DC. A bunch of missed opportunities in using one of DCs strengths. If one of these Power Forwards they are looking at could run the break at an elite level, I'd be more forgiving of the lack of improvement over TH and limited positional flexibility.

I'm not positive, but I don't think Carl or Humphries are this player. Maybe you are looking at a Thadeus Young if you account for this ideation.

Are we sure Tyler can't run the break well? I recall specifically during his rookie season several occasions where if we had point guards with high levels of court vision, Tyler would have had several more layups/dunks/free throws from filling a lane and getting down the court quickly.

I even remember Seth and I talking about this (recall that Seth was one of the biggest doubters of Tyler's pro game, btw) and we both agreed that one of Hansbrough's clear strengths was his ability to haul *** down the floor, because that was how he'd get a lot of his points; he'd get down the floor and get fouled, or he'd very quickly post a guy up, and if he was fed the ball in a short enough amount of time, he'd be into his spin or hook so fast that it caught defenders off guard.

Hicks
07-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Rookie Landry was on pace to be a future double-double stud. Unfortunately, since then, his rebounding has plummeted:

Total Reb. %
07-08: 16.4
08-09: 13.6
09-10: 10.9
10-11: 10.0

Why do you suppose that is? Typically rebounding is a skill that can translate from college to the pros fairly well, and as you point out, he started out looking like a good rebounder. What happened?

Gamble1
07-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Are we sure Tyler can't run the break well? I recall specifically during his rookie season several occasions where if we had point guards with high levels of court vision, Tyler would have had several more layups/dunks/free throws from filling a lane and getting down the court quickly.
If anyone watched a single game of Tylers in college they know he runs the break well.

Speed
07-11-2011, 01:31 PM

I even remember Seth and I talking about this (recall that Seth was one of the biggest doubters of Tyler's pro game, btw) and we both agreed that one of Hansbrough's clear strengths was his ability to haul *** down the floor, because that was how he'd get a lot of his points; he'd get down the floor and get fouled, or he'd very quickly post a guy up, and if he was fed the ball in a short enough amount of time, he'd be into his spin or hook so fast that it caught defenders off guard.

I almost put Tyler and Jmac in my OP. I think they can and do at times, but for some reason from watching games they are mainly on that secondary break, almost all the time. Maybe it's minutes/fatigue, maybe its the scheme that they have to pound the defensive boards. I don't know. I'd say 8 out of 10 times, neither was filling a lane on the break, it was almost exclusively DC and PG, setting up against 3 guys. Danny doesn't run the break either, he'll give you a trailing 3, thats about it.

vnzla81
07-11-2011, 01:32 PM

I agree with this, reason why I keep saying that if Tyler and Josh had a better point guard their numbers could go up by at least 4PPG.

Speed
07-11-2011, 01:36 PM
If anyone watched a single game of Tylers in college they know he runs the break well.

... in college, agreed. And I think he can in the pros, I just don't think he did consistently.

90'sNBARocked
07-11-2011, 01:39 PM
I like both West and Landry. They both have different strengths and weaknesses. I also feel a lot of people here undervalue David West due to him turnign 30

West has an excellent pick and pop game which would really open things up for Hibbert. He is also an excellent face the basket shooter, his weakness being his rebounding

Being that West does not really rely on athleticism I see no reason why he cant be effective through his mid thirties. Heck Kurt Thomas is 41 and wass extreemly vitale to the Bulls sucess this year

If we could say 4 year contract at like 10 per with the 4th year being a team option, or something similar , I would go after West hard

CableKC
07-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Well I agree with you about that. Humphries would be a good addition to the team but the real problem that I see is that New Jersey is willing to pay him his market value. They have a clear upper hand IMO while the Hornets don't when it comes to Landry.
Humphries is a UFA....I'm guessing that the Team of a UFA has a slight advantage when it comes to re-signing UFAs ( do they get to offer an extra year )...but in the end..it will be up to Humphries ( not NJ ) to decide where he wants to play.

CableKC
07-11-2011, 01:52 PM

Not disagreeing with you here....but does being able to "haul *** down the floor" translate into being an "elite Pick and Roll" type of Player?

I do not doubt that Hansbrough can get his points this way...but does that translate into a being a good ( if not elite ) PnR Player that we'd want to pair with DC?

But this then begs the question......of all the Free Agents ( whether they be RFAs or UFAs ).....which is considered the best PnR Player?

I'd guess that David West fits that description and that Players like Chandler and Humphries doesn't. What about Nene?

I know that he's a very solid and efficient Offensive-minded scorer...but I have no clue how well he runs the PnR.

Speed
07-11-2011, 01:56 PM
I like both West and Landry. They both have different strengths and weaknesses. I also feel a lot of people here undervalue David West due to him turnign 30

West has an excellent pick and pop game which would really open things up for Hibbert. He is also an excellent face the basket shooter, his weakness being his rebounding

Being that West does not really rely on athleticism I see no reason why he cant be effective through his mid thirties. Heck Kurt Thomas is 41 and wass extreemly vitale to the Bulls sucess this year

If we could say 4 year contract at like 10 per with the 4th year being a team option, or something similar , I would go after West hard

I agree, idea wise. At least with West you can make the argument he's clearly a large improvement. He's proven, he's an allstar, he's done 20 and 8 or so. He's a vet and he brings something clearly to the table with his scoring.

Major injury is the sticking point for me and of course it always has to do with what he costs relative to what he can give you.

I'd pay him about like Danny under the current system, but thats a tough one with the injury and you have to find out what the market is like (aka what New Orleans plans to offer).

I'd offer him a deal starting at 10 million under the current rules for 4 years ending at around 14 million, at best. So basically 4 year 48 million.

If things stay the same in the new CBA, that may not be enough, if so, thats fine. I'd let him walk for anything more. Of course how that computes into the new CBA is anyones guess.

Hicks
07-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Not disagreeing with you here....but does being able to "haul *** down the floor" translate into being an "elite Pick and Roll" type of Player?

They are two completely separate things; why did this make you think of pick and rolls? :confused:

But to answer your question, no, at this point Tyler isn't a great pick and roll player. However, pick and pops, he's getting pretty good at those.

Since86
07-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Pick n pop is different from a pick n roll? I don't think so.

pacer4ever
07-11-2011, 02:47 PM

There certainly is IMO guys like Zbo can do both pop and roll. While a guy like Tyler is just a pop guy which helps the defense know he isn't that effective rolling to the basket certainly easier to guard than a complete PnR guy like Zbo.

Gamble1
07-11-2011, 02:51 PM
I agree, idea wise. At least with West you can make the argument he's clearly a large improvement. He's proven, he's an allstar, he's done 20 and 8 or so. He's a vet and he brings something clearly to the table with his scoring.

Major injury is the sticking point for me and of course it always has to do with what he costs relative to what he can give you.

I'd pay him about like Danny under the current system, but thats a tough one with the injury and you have to find out what the market is like (aka what New Orleans plans to offer).

I'd offer him a deal starting at 10 million under the current rules for 4 years ending at around 14 million, at best. So basically 4 year 48 million.

If things stay the same in the new CBA, that may not be enough, if so, thats fine. I'd let him walk for anything more. Of course how that computes into the new CBA is anyones guess.
I think 9 mill is what he is worth at his age/injuried and I would be reluctant to give him 10 mill. He wanted atleast 10 mill or more before the injury and I am sure teams will see it as a way to pay him less now which is reasonable.

CableKC
07-11-2011, 02:59 PM
They are two completely separate things; why did this make you think of pick and rolls? :confused:

But to answer your question, no, at this point Tyler isn't a great pick and roll player. However, pick and pops, he's getting pretty good at those.
My bad :blush:....for some reason, I was thinking of the PnR when it came to DC and the post that you were responding to.

A.B.Hollywood
07-11-2011, 03:05 PM

I think you could get West for much less than that. 4 years, 34 million likely snags him.

Landry is more like 4 years 22 million.

And at both of those deals I am perfectly fine here. West's price is at a discount for us because of the knee. People keep acting like he'd still get Nene or Gasol money and post injury that just won't happen.

Since86
07-11-2011, 03:55 PM
There certainly is IMO guys like Zbo can do both pop and roll. While a guy like Tyler is just a pop guy which helps the defense know he isn't that effective rolling to the basket certainly easier to guard than a complete PnR guy like Zbo.

I understand all that. I'm saying that a pick n roll and pick n pop are interchangeable terms because it's the same play, just a different ending location.

Speed
07-11-2011, 05:28 PM
I think you could get West for much less than that. 4 years, 34 million likely snags him.

Landry is more like 4 years 22 million.

And at both of those deals I am perfectly fine here. West's price is at a discount for us because of the knee. People keep acting like he'd still get Nene or Gasol money and post injury that just won't happen.

I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

Hicks
07-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Is to me. I use the term pick and roll to describe when the big man actually does go ahead and roll to the basket, and of course pick and pop for when he pops out instead.

But I understand that many people like to use the term "pick and roll" to refer to both at once, which is understandable because typically when you run it, assuming your player is capable, it can be a read and react scenario where you only pop if they play for the roll, or the opposite.

hoosierguy
07-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Actually, Landry may be my #1 target.

What a surprise.:rolleyes:

Hicks
07-11-2011, 09:22 PM

What a surprise.

hoosierguy
07-11-2011, 09:23 PM
The Pacers didn't put themselves in a position to have a lot of cap room only to go out and get middle of the pack players.

Landry is a ROLE PLAYER. He will not make a team better. He contributed to a good Houston team, then was traded to Sacramento and put up similar numbers but the Kings were still terrible. Then he was traded to New Orleans and put up solid numbers alongside a top 10 player in Chris Paul- who makes all of his teammates look good.

hoosierguy
07-11-2011, 09:24 PM
What a surprise.

Oh, I get it. Purdue homerism is allowed but responding negatively to it is not.

dal9
07-11-2011, 09:41 PM

For equal $, I think Landry, pretty easily, and I like McBob a lot (I actually think Bobbers > Hans).

But your post shows the key question: McBob will be cheaper than Landry--so how much more do you pay per year to have Landry rather than McBobbers?

I would say maybe 3 mil/year--4 is probably pushing it.

spazzxb
07-11-2011, 11:10 PM
For equal $, I think Landry, pretty easily, and I like McBob a lot (I actually think Bobbers > Hans).

But your post shows the key question: McBob will be cheaper than Landry--so how much more do you pay per year to have Landry rather than McBobbers?

I would say maybe 3 mil/year--4 is probably pushing it.

Tyler has proven himself to be better than Mcroberts. This debate should be over.

Anthem
07-11-2011, 11:12 PM
I suppose you can player Tyler and McBob together, but it likely would be a disaster.

Neither are very good defensively, and McBob usually just goes and swats at the ball instead of actually grabbing it when he goes for a rebound.

And yes, you can play Tyler and Landry together. It would just have the same result as Tyler/McBob.

A disaster in both cases.
We HAVE played Josh and Tyler together. Not much, but some. I was asking for it all year.

It wasn't Robinson/Duncan, but it wasn't a disaster.

Anthem
07-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Fascinating. I was looking at 82games trying to find units with JMac at the 5 and found this:

http://www.82games.com/1011/1011IND5.HTM

Is PF really our strongest position?

ECKrueger
07-12-2011, 01:40 AM

Ya, all I said was he was the #1 guy I wanted.

I agree with most in here. I would take Landry over West easy. Actually, Landry may be my #1 target. He is solid, but won't cost a ton while we wait for "Mr. Right," as Hicks said. I would love Nene, but I think he will want a lot and nothing else excites me. Landry is just a good safe move to tide us over until Player X comes along in my opinion.

He is my #1 target in FA this year. Because he is decent, fairly cheap, and won't set us back like signing Nene or West would.

:rolleyes:

vnzla81
07-12-2011, 06:26 AM
Fascinating. I was looking at 82games trying to find units with JMac at the 5 and found this:

MackeyRose has been saying this forever and everybody here seems to ignore him, to me small guard and point guard is our big weakness.

pacer4ever
07-12-2011, 07:19 AM

PER is a really flawed stat Hollinger says it himself.

I mean Hollingers formula had Ty Lawson rated the best prospect in his draft over Blake Griffin

Hicks
07-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Oh, I get it. Purdue homerism is allowed but responding negatively to it is not.

If it weren't for your IU homerism, you wouldn't have responded negatively in the first place, so I don't think you have a good point.

JEM
07-24-2011, 12:39 AM

That is probably one of Hansbroughs most underrated attributes. For a guy his size he can run really fast.

There were a few times last year where Hansbrough actually lead a break with the ball in his hands. One in particular was after a steal where Hansbrough and Collison were the only ones on the break and Tyler held the ball all the way to around the 3pt line allow Collison to have an easy layup.

Also for him to be able to dribble on a full sprint without fumbling around ( McRoberts fumbles his dribble even ) is about as impressive as can be too.

DocHolliday
07-24-2011, 11:04 AM

A very cromulent analysis.;)