PDA

View Full Version : Shaq heads to TNT

Basketball Fan
07-09-2011, 09:13 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/09/report-shaq-heads-to-turner/related/

Report: Shaq heads to Turner
Matt Moore
Jul 9, 2011, 8:36 PM EDT
Leave a comment
Reuters
Darren Rovell of CNBC reports that Shaquille OíNeal, AKA the Big Diesel, AKA the Big Aristotle, AKA the Big Shaqtus, AKA the Big Shamrock, AKA Superman, AKA the Most Dominant Ever will be joining Turner broadcasting:

Itís a natural acquisition by TNT given OíNealís personality and popularity. OíNealís also one of the more intelligent players in terms of his approach to the game and knowledge. Heís seen a lot in his time and can provide perspective.

Or, he can just be bombastic and loud. The trick is that Charles Barkley manages to be both. Which side OíNeal lands on will determine his success on the ďInside the NBAĒ studio. Itís difficult to see OíNealís low tones permeating the airways as a color commentator, but it might be worth a shot. His best work might honestly be in a feature capacity. Having him do on-site promos and videos with players doing wacky stuff is right up OíNealís alley. Hopefully OíNealís addition wonít push Webber off, as heís been downright brilliant in his time there. You can also bet OíNeal will do his fair share of independent programming, and donít be surprised if Turner slots him for a full show development deal. Thatís how big his personality still is.

Shade
07-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Totally saw this coming.

spreedom
07-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Good lord, could they have hired someone more inarticulate? He makes Barkley seem well-spoken and easy to understand. That's definitely hiring the player as opposed to hiring the good analyst (I will believe this until I'm proven wrong).

Basketball Fan
07-09-2011, 09:37 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2cUzJn83n9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope they don't try and get him to interview Kobe although I admit I'd watch that trainwreck.

Psyren
07-09-2011, 09:39 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2cUzJn83n9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope they don't try and get him to interview Kobe although I admit I'd watch that trainwreck.

Notice Brian Shaw gettin in that pile up!

Basketball Fan
07-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Notice Brian Shaw gettin in that pile up!

Yeah it doesn't seem that long ago either does it?

pacer4ever
07-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Good lord, could they have hired someone more inarticulate? He makes Barkley seem well-spoken and easy to understand. That's definitely hiring the player as opposed to hiring the good analyst (I will believe this until I'm proven wrong).

Well this is true for almost all former players. Reggie is terrible most former players are.

spreedom
07-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Well this is true for almost all former players. Reggie is terrible most former players are.

At least the studio show is (was?) pretty good. Kenny annoys the hell out of me but Charles is great and Ernie is about the best host on TV.

ilive4sports
07-09-2011, 10:19 PM
I love watching Shaq, he is hilarious. Glad this happened.

Hicks
07-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Hasn't Shaq guest-"hosted" with the TNT studio crew a couple of times before? Anyone have a video link to that?

He's got that monotone baritone voice, but beyond that I think he's relatively articulate.

Basketball Fan
07-09-2011, 10:46 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6ieYBMcT26E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I6BDOazT6_s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Young
07-09-2011, 10:52 PM
I like the TNT crew. No they don't raise your basketball iq like say Hubie Brown but I still enjoy listening to them.

Not surprised that Shaq joined them but not for sure if I like it. When Shaq is serious he can add something signification but sometimes he tries too hard to be funny and it gets annoying, IMO.

Dr. Awesome
07-09-2011, 11:46 PM
I'd rather he wear a muzzle.

I like their crew as is, no need to ruin it.

Eleazar
07-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Totally saw this coming.

Yeah, who didn't?

Kid Minneapolis
07-10-2011, 12:04 AM

Don't agree, on either count.

Pingu
07-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Shaq's naturally funny, and they'll teach him the tricks of the trade.

ChristianDudley
07-10-2011, 12:15 AM
I definitely knew something like this would happen for Shaq, but I didn't think it would be soon--I thought he'd take a year or two off to do whatever he wanted such as sleep, relax, travel/vacation, etc...but I like hearing this news. I'm interested in seeing how he coexists with Charles Barkley, though.

Heisenberg
07-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Just hope Ernie's able to keep em both under control. If they turn that crew into some idiotic bit of one-ups-manship like Webber and Payton it'd be awful.

ilive4sports
07-10-2011, 12:39 AM
I think people will be surprised by Shaq. He attended a seminar at Syracuse University's Journalism school for broadcasting after your career (Dahanty Jones took it this year). SU is arguably the best journalism school in the country and Shaq is sure to have picked up a lot of great training there.

Doddage
07-10-2011, 12:51 AM
I don't care whether or not Shaq is inarticulate, the guy's entertaining as hell and the studio show should be a lot more fun with him on board.

idioteque
07-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Oh, for the love of Pete, some of you guys are acting like the NBA on TNT needs Cicero up in the booth or something. Shaq will be fun, he's hilarious, and there's no need to take these TV crews too seriously. I can imagine some "purists" went nuts when they announced the Barkley hire years ago, how has that gone?

pacerwaala
07-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Don't agree, on either count.

agree with your "don't agree".

Shaq is goofy kind of good for 10 to 30 second clips. Not for color commentary or in studio or for anything.

I like Steve Kerr, Doug Collins and Reggie Miller (has nothing to do with being a Pacers fan)

pacerwaala
07-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Oh, for the love of Pete, some of you guys are acting like the NBA on TNT needs Cicero up in the booth or something. Shaq will be fun, he's hilarious, and there's no need to take these TV crews too seriously. I can imagine some "purists" went nuts when they announced the Barkley hire years ago, how has that gone?

Nothing wrong with the show being a goofy and fun show. But I am not even sure Shaq has a vouice for it. He mumbles a lot - I have a really hard time understanding what he says. I understand Barkley because he is loud and clear eventhough his comments are on the wild side.

Shade
07-10-2011, 12:00 PM
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2cUzJn83n9k" allowfullscreen="" width="425" frameborder="0" height="349"></iframe>

Still love watching that. Barkley owned Shaq there. :laugh:

Mr_Smith
07-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Thats a great add to the TNT crew.....and I don't think he's inarticulate. At least he doesn't say athaletic :laugh:

imbtyler
07-10-2011, 02:52 PM
I'll be the first to say that his new TNT nickname should be the Big Dynamite.

Unclebuck
07-11-2011, 08:52 AM
I just hope TNT moves Chris Webber to their number 1 game analyst - because that is where he belongs

Hicks
07-11-2011, 01:17 PM
I just hope TNT moves Chris Webber to their number 1 game analyst - because that is where he belongs

I really did enjoy the game he did from our playoff series.

pacer4ever
07-11-2011, 01:23 PM

He is the best in the business him and Mcale on game time were so enjoyable to watch

Constellations
07-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Barkley could read from the dictionary and it would be funny.

Basketball Fan
07-15-2011, 01:02 PM
http://www.thepostgame.com/node/2022#disqus_thread

Shaq Producing Cartoons?
Friday, July 15, 2011 11:50 amWritten by: Ben MallerPrint

You should have seen this one coming, with a tattoo of comic book hero Superman on his left arm.

Shaquille O'Neal is entering the world of animation. The former Lakers star picked Turner over ESPN as TV gig in part because of cartoons.

Shaq will work with Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson on TNT's popular Inside the NBA, and also help on NBA.com and NBA TV.

But the real draw might have been a little known development deal between Shaq and Turner's entertainment and animation networks.

Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports Shaq is excited to bring funny drawings to TV viewers in the near future.

"It will include cartoons, TV shows," Shaq told the Herald. "I always wanted to executive produce some shows. I have a lot of ideas in my head. Hopefully, one or two of those will come to life."

In addition to the TV work, O'Neal says he still has plans on a career in law enforcement. Shaq claims he'll some day run for sheriff, most likely in Lake County, Fla., but not anytime soon.

Isaac
07-15-2011, 02:02 PM

I would like to see Webber move to ESPN and replace Mark Jackson alongside Van Gundy. That would be a terrific team.

Basketball Fan
12-05-2011, 10:18 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FxUD2_PRDQQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

docpaul
12-05-2011, 10:23 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FxUD2_PRDQQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Holy crud, how could you not love that? :)

Man, can't wait for the holidays.

spreedom
12-05-2011, 10:32 PM
PLEASE go away, Shaq.

ilive4sports
12-06-2011, 02:11 AM

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum :laugh: I'm looking forward to TNT's coverage even more cause of Shaq.

PacersFan1991
12-06-2011, 02:28 AM
Charles: "Listen, listen Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA game" Shaq in response "I'll punch you in yo face.

glazedham42
12-06-2011, 01:03 PM
I really liked Webber during the playoffs also. I was surprised how much he knew. I expected him to put his foot in his mouth at least once per quarter. He was very well informed, and unbiased. I thought he was great.