PDA

View Full Version : Which Vet should Paul George study?

PaulGeorge
07-08-2011, 02:22 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=thorpe_david&page=RookieStudy11-George

Paul George and Gerald Wallace

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both George and Wallace have excellent height and length for wing players, and both are top-level athletes. But Wallace flies around the court, creating chaos and making plays above the rim and in the passing lanes. As wing players go, he "beasts" it as well as anyone, while George floats into and out of plays.

George is still a playmaker on defense despite his casual effort through parts of games. But "beasting" it like Wallace will help him jump up a couple of levels. He'll be more productive on the glass as well.

MillerTime
07-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Pre-injured Tracy McGrady

Unclebuck
07-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Paul Pierce. From a technical standpoint he is as good as there is currently

MagicRat
07-08-2011, 02:35 PM
If it's from a technical standpoint, I'll say Kobe. He was tied for second in the league last year with 15.......

ilive4sports
07-08-2011, 02:38 PM
If it's from a technical standpoint, I'll say Kobe. He was tied for second in the league last year with 15.......

My thoughts too. I wouldn't mind him studying Tmac either.

RLeWorm
07-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Tmac was better than anybody when he never got injured. He was just nasty

Daniel33
Kobe. Because he has all the basics and know how to score in nearly every situation and Kobe's aggression and leadership.

Unclebuck

I had to read your post twice to get the joke.

vnzla81
07-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Anybody but Troy murphy :D

kielbeze
07-08-2011, 02:52 PM
This is a no-brainer. He should study Lance Stephenson the best player on our team.

Hicks
07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=thorpe_david&page=RookieStudy11-George

Paul George and Gerald Wallace

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both George and Wallace have excellent height and length for wing players, and both are top-level athletes. But Wallace flies around the court, creating chaos and making plays above the rim and in the passing lanes. As wing players go, he "beasts" it as well as anyone, while George floats into and out of plays.

George is still a playmaker on defense despite his casual effort through parts of games. But "beasting" it like Wallace will help him jump up a couple of levels. He'll be more productive on the glass as well.

"Beasting it" will also get him hurt, IMO. I'd rather he stay as he is and just improve his skills.

Really?
07-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Micheal Jordan... why not go ahead and study the "best"...

A stretch but I will say both are explosive dunkers, have good defense, Paul needs to learn Jordan's craftiness with the ball, as well as study his intensity, and knack of scoring the ball...

LA_Confidential
07-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Gotta go with Orlando T-Mac. Dude was vicious. Back then the debate was whos best between he and Kobe. If Paul George even sniffs T-Mac's level of production I will be satisfied

sportfireman
07-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Jordan, Kobe, TMac.....i dont care who he plays like just as long as PG helps us win a lot of games. A LOT!!!

kielbeze
07-08-2011, 03:33 PM
I really had to ponder this and think about what PG showed las year. And not to sound cliche but I would say Reggie or Prince because The one thing I would like to see out of paul more consistantly is movement without the ball.
he is the type of player who could move off of screens all day and is so athletic that he could really improve his production just by staying active at all times.

imawhat
07-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Jordan. Jordan was amazing at the work he did before receiving the ball.

I'd love for Paul to watch some post Jordan-rules era video of Michael fighting for the ball.

He can watch just about anybody to improve his ballhandling. All he has to do is get lower...such an easy fix.

Otherwise, I like the way he does everything else.

luis3ep
07-08-2011, 03:51 PM
T-Mac. They are very similar in size, athleticism. look at this picture.. you can't tell me it doesn't look like Paul George. even a little bit. :D

http://i52.tinypic.com/2mg819f.jpg

sam kaiserblade
07-08-2011, 03:53 PM
He needs to study Andrew Toney. That man could play.

http://www.thedraftreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2918

BigAndy
07-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Dang it, I just went and watched a Paul George highlight video. Now I'm super depressed about the lockout.:cry::cry: I can't wait to see how much he improves over the summer.

PR07
07-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Offensively, Tracy McGrady.

Defensively, just watch highlights of himself during the playoffs :)

tikitomoka
07-08-2011, 05:30 PM
honestly, paul isn't tough enough to try and emulate gerald wallace. few players are.

OakMoses
07-08-2011, 05:48 PM
I'd love to see him emulate the Detroit version of Grant Hill: semi-efficient high level scoring, great passing, above average positional rebounding, good defense, incredibly smart and classy player.

IUfan4life
07-08-2011, 05:55 PM
He should study different things from different players, but more importantly, he needs to grow into his own skin

Sookie
07-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Kobe

SMosley21
07-08-2011, 08:39 PM
He needs to study HIMSELF, pick apart his flaws and correct them. That way, one day maybe we can say Paul George was never the next anybody, but the first Paul George.

v_d_g
07-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Bob Love
Bernard King
Drazen Petrovic

Study someone who can SHOOT. If you can shoot, you can do all the other peripheral stuff that everyone gets excited about here.

Get a money J from 10-20 ft.; a money bank shot 10ft to the rim (rather than trying to swish much more difficult shots, like all the NBA idiots try to do) and, most importantly, BE MONEY AT THE LINE: get TWO WHEN IT COUNTS.

In light of the last suggestion, it would be a good idea to have nothing to do with Al Harrington. :rolleyes:

Man, if my team was able to make LAYUPS, midrange jumpers, and FREETHROWS, even the FIX HAPPY David Stern couldn't stand in the way of championships. (No fix against HOT.)

pacer4ever
07-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Kobe

if he could get footwork and handles like Kobe it would make him insane

dohman
07-08-2011, 09:13 PM
If I was george.. I would hire the best shooting coach I could find and spend the next 12 months perfecting my J. The other stuff will come but the shot has to be worked on.

pacer4ever
07-08-2011, 09:18 PM
If I was george.. I would hire the best shooting coach I could find and spend the next 12 months perfecting my J. The other stuff will come but the shot has to be worked on.

no don't worry as much about the shot footwork and handles need work during the off season. You have all the time in the world to work on shooting even during the season. That is almost all they do in shoot around ect. IMO

Sookie
07-08-2011, 11:24 PM
if he could get footwork and handles like Kobe it would make him insane

Honestly, any basketball player should look at Kobe from a skills/technical level. Kobe is still the most skilled player in the league, even if he's not efficient.

But PG has Kobe's build, a lot of raw talent, and a lot of athleticisim. But as you said, footwork definitely, I actually think Kobe dribbles the ball too high, but if Paul could get himself to the level of Kobe's handles, we'd be in good shape.

Pacersalltheway10
07-08-2011, 11:34 PM
George "The Iceman" Gervin

Day-V
07-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Zan Tabak.

pacer4ever
07-08-2011, 11:43 PM
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9zSVu76AX3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

just stay Hungary like MJ and keep working to be the best player. Never settle for being good or great always keep working!

daschysta
07-09-2011, 12:10 AM
He should mostly work on his handles, it's what separates Danny from being great, instead of very good. Granger could be elite with great ball handing skills, and still manages to get to the line a fair amount for someone who shoots a high volume of jumpers, Paul is more athletic and explosive than danny has ever been, if he has the handles to get to the rim it will open up his entire offensive game. He already possesses the instincts to be a great defensive player.

pacersgroningen
07-09-2011, 07:32 AM
I saw in a couple of interviews that he said he models his game after kobe. I'll just keep hoping he gets to that level!

McKeyFan
07-09-2011, 12:29 PM
just stay Hungary like MJ

Was MJ a Euro?

ColeTheMole
07-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Stackhouse

A.B.Hollywood
07-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Clyde Drexler

If he gets that first step and explodes like this man... look out.

I've actually been surprised that this comparison hasn't come up more. They are the same build and almost identical height and weight. Both are very well rounded players on the defensive side too.

Clyde was a career 20.4, 6.1, 5.6 player who developed his shot later in his career. That has PG written all over it. And by god am I happy with that idea.

Hoop
07-09-2011, 04:42 PM
I just hope he becomes the best Paul George he can possibly be.

Isaac
07-09-2011, 05:19 PM
For everyone saying he should just become the best Paul George he can consider saying that in other professions.

I'm going to be the best scientist I can be so I'm not going to study other scientific discoveries.

You get good at things by learning about what those before you did.

pacer4ever
07-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Was MJ a Euro?

I wish he was from Hungary I would have that going for me

BobbyMac
07-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Roger Brown, study his ability to get to the basket and score.

Brad8888
07-10-2011, 06:07 PM
George Mikan...

Georghe Muresan...

Devean George...

Paul Pierce (nah, too easy to see and too believable and predictable)

Chris Paul (if we want a big point guard who can defend, why not have Paul study an actual point guard who both has vision and can score and let our "best" player do what he does "best" (referring to Lance as being our "best" player despite his not really being a point guard in my opinion))...

or, try to make him into the player the franchise needs the most at this point, Dale Davis...

In truth, I would actually like to see Paul George study Scottie Pippen and his complete package of play (while doing without the Pippen attitude). George can probably emulate what Pippen brought on both ends of the court once he gets comfortable taking his shots. Paul George has the shooting form and explosiveness for being a high level offensive threat, and he can really turn it on defensively when required to, and has the length and hops to truly be fearsome once he begins to get favorable treatment from the officials on both ends of the floor.

imbtyler
07-10-2011, 07:59 PM
I think he should study Michael Jordan. Why not? Best player in the history of the game, so Paul could stand to study his style.

As I said in the most recent 2011 FA thread, it would be great if, whilst developing his handling, he took a few pages from Jamal Crawford's book. Crawford's Shake-and-Bake is one of the most underrated, yet best "moves" in the NBA. If Paul could master the move, as well as learn how to move, dribble, shoot, and get to the basket easily like Crawford, he'd be amazing.

If Paul could learn Crawford's style and make it his own, he'd almost look and play like MJ, with young LeBron's frame and athleticism. I would love it (as would all of Indiana) if Paul turned into the GOAT 2.0

PacerDude
07-10-2011, 08:17 PM
If Paul could learn Crawford's style and make it his own, he'd almost look and play like MJ, with young LeBron's frame and athleticism. I would love it (as would all of Indiana) if Paul turned into the GOAT 2.0Whoa, whoa, WHOA ........... the kid has talent, but - WHOA.

imbtyler
07-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Whoa, whoa, WHOA ........... the kid has talent, but - WHOA.

I'm not saying he'll be as good as MJ, LeBron, or Crawford. I'm just saying that it'd be pretty great if we all lucked out, and he turned into the BEST PLAYER EVER!! :dance:

On a serious note, I think this lockout's making my senile.

rel
07-11-2011, 12:33 AM
somewhat off topic, but i've been readin' up RealGM forums and apparently there's been a little lovefest over there for Paul...(not just from pacer fans)

...to the point that ppl are getting tired of seeing his name and calling him overrated :P

Glad to see paul getting the hype, I'm praying he lives up to them. I know he's got the work ethic to get there

dgranger17
07-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Larry Bird

BRushWithDeath
07-11-2011, 02:57 PM
My expectations must be far lower than everyone else because my initial thought was Trevor Ariza.

They seem very similar to me.

Sookie
07-11-2011, 03:00 PM
My expectations must be far lower than everyone else because my initial thought was Trevor Ariza.

I definitely see the similarities in their game. But, IMO, that's not who you study to try and get yourself better. IMO, you study the most skilled player with a similar build/similar game style to yourself.

pacer4ever
01-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Alex English would of been a nice addition to the coaching staff to mentor George he just signed with Sacramento as a assistant pretty similar style wise to what George should try to do.

He had his break out season with the Pacers we should of tried to bring him back.

Rogco
01-13-2012, 04:45 PM
James Herriot

Pacer Fan
01-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Clyde the Glide Drexler and Scottie Pippen
Of coarse drives by MJ wouldn't hurt.

Major Cold
01-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Clyde Drexler

If he gets that first step and explodes like this man... look out.

I've actually been surprised that this comparison hasn't come up more. They are the same build and almost identical height and weight. Both are very well rounded players on the defensive side too.

Clyde was a career 20.4, 6.1, 5.6 player who developed his shot later in his career. That has PG written all over it. And by god am I happy with that idea.

Drex was 6'5" and meaty. PG is 6'10" and lanky. But I think if he went after this skill set, with a solid set jumper, he would be the next big thing.

Midcoasted
01-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Scottie Pippen. He reminds more of a Scottie lite than Granger does. Granger is a stud All Star type of player no doubt, but Paul has the potential to be a better defender, better at getting to the rim, a better passer, a better 3 shooter, a better dribbler, better at posting his man up, and a better rebounder. So obviously if PG ever out did Granger in those areas dude would be a stud super-star. But by doing that he would be much more like Pippen than Granger.

Pippen is broke. If I were Bird I would be throwing money at him left and right to get him to come in and mentor both George and Granger, because Scottie is Granger's idol from childhood, and they both play such a similar all around game to Scottie, though not at near his level yet. Imagine if he worked with both of them and helped them both be closer to Scottie 2.0, instead of Scottie lite. We could become unstoppable with two Pippen molds.

Pacer Fan
01-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Drex was 6'5" and meaty. PG is 6'10" and lanky. But I think if he went after this skill set, with a solid set jumper, he would be the next big thing.
He was 6'7" and skinny like 210 lbs. He was about 220 lbs. before he retired.
He played sf/sg
Not sure who you was watching!

trey
01-13-2012, 05:06 PM
For some reason I keep thinking Paul George will develop into being a more athletic Joe Johnson in his prime.

vnzla81
01-13-2012, 05:10 PM
I was watching Rudy Gay yesterday and he looks similar to PG, I think he should learn from Rudy.

trey
01-13-2012, 05:11 PM
I was watching Rudy Gay yesterday and he looks similar to PG, I think he should learn from Rudy.

Rudy Gay was killing yesterday wasn't he? Man he has turned into a great player.

Major Cold
01-13-2012, 05:13 PM
He was 6'7" and skinny like 210 lbs. He was about 220 lbs. before he retired.
He played sf/sg
Not sure who you was watching!

Me was watching the television!!!!!

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0129/nba_g_drexler_mj_600.jpg
Looks shorter than the 6'6" MJ
http://www.sneakerfiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/dreamteam.jpg
Looks shorter than the 6'7" Pippen

He was stockier even with 210 on a 6'5" frame than George with 220 on a 6'10" frame.

vnzla81
01-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Rudy Gay was killing yesterday wasn't he? Man he has turned into a great player.

Yep he is a beast.

Ozwalt72
01-13-2012, 05:15 PM

Your expectations ARE very low. It's not a stretch (though, early in the season) to say that PG is better than Ariza already. I see the similarities though, body type and Ariza is a very solid defender. But George appears to have a much better shooting stroke and more athleticism.

Eleazar
01-13-2012, 07:26 PM
I have one suggestion, just because two players have similar body types does not mean he is the best player for George to learn from.

Trophy
01-13-2012, 07:29 PM
I see a lot of Rudy Gay in Paul.

I've always felt that he'd be a second coming of Rudy.

IndyPacer
01-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Oliver Miller. Paul just needs to gain 70 lbs. and they'd be the same size and everything. :laugh:

Being serious for a moment, I think the style and skill set make a lot more sense for these comparisons. I agree Kobe and McGrady would be good targets.

BlueNGold
01-13-2012, 11:05 PM
IDK. Not Granger.

jeffg-body
01-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Kevin Durant

A.B.Hollywood
01-14-2012, 04:26 AM

And we had an abundance of people here crying foul when the whole Rudy for Granger talk heated up last year.

How that is even a question is beyond me. Rudy Gay has elite level talent. Damn he would look good in the Blue & Gold.

Midcoasted
01-14-2012, 05:57 AM
And we had an abundance of people here crying foul when the whole Rudy for Granger talk heated up last year.

How that is even a question is beyond me. Rudy Gay has elite level talent. Damn he would look good in the Blue & Gold.

No offense, but Granger has showed he has elite level talent more times than Rudy Gay ever has. The grass is always greener...Rudy is on a steady decline statistically, but his team is getting better so that is a good thing. He just never struck me as a better player than Granger. There isn't one statistic out there that says he is better than Granger. Well maybe through 11 games this year on offense, but Danny is a stud defensively right now. When Danny warms up we will start winning more games like a top 5 team should, in dominant fashion.

Fresh2315
01-14-2012, 07:29 AM
He reminds me a bit of T-mac, similar demeanor's. Can't see any Kobe or MJ in him though.

BlueNGold
01-14-2012, 09:56 AM
He reminds me a bit of T-mac, similar demeanor's. Can't see any Kobe or MJ in him though.

T-Mac was averaging nearly 27ppg at the same age. He did enter the league a couple years earlier though. I would like to see it happen and I like PG24 a lot, but he's not showing it IMO. Granger was supposed to be the second coming of Scottie Pippen and he isn't close to that. My expectations for Paul are slowly dropping. They remain high, but talk of the next T-Mac is beginning to look unrealistic. Give him a year though. If he's not showing consistent greatness by this time next year, I'd have to say I will be a doubter. Still, he'll be a good NBA basketball player but one of the best players in the league? Not sure about that.

BlueNGold
01-14-2012, 09:57 AM
but Danny is a stud defensively right now.

:laugh:

pacerwaala
01-14-2012, 11:03 AM
On defense, Derek Mckey and Scottie Pippen. He will be 2-3 times better than Mckey because of the athleticism.

On offense and ball distribution, Lamar Odom but with a stronger mental attitude.

A.B.Hollywood
01-14-2012, 03:31 PM
No offense, but Granger has showed he has elite level talent more times than Rudy Gay ever has. The grass is always greener...Rudy is on a steady decline statistically, but his team is getting better so that is a good thing. He just never struck me as a better player than Granger. There isn't one statistic out there that says he is better than Granger. Well maybe through 11 games this year on offense, but Danny is a stud defensively right now. When Danny warms up we will start winning more games like a top 5 team should, in dominant fashion.

I don't take offense that you're wrong. No worries :p

Midcoasted
01-14-2012, 03:43 PM
I don't take offense that you're wrong. No worries :p

I went and looked into Gay a little more and he is a solid player. He is shooting scary bad from three this year and his PPG are down, just like Danny. If anything I would say they are about in the same league offensively. I have seen Gay light us up over and over so I'm not going to trash him that much. I just think Granger is the better all around player.

Volmancagle17
01-15-2012, 12:22 AM
Shawn Kemp.. THE RAIIIINNMMANNNNNN