PDA

View Full Version : Wells on grady 7/8/11

pacer4ever
07-08-2011, 11:29 AM
did anyone here it Wells praised Lance. Wells also said Lance was very stand offish during last season having his head down refusing to talk to him. im waiting for the podcast but it was a good listen. and new stuff i didn't know.

pacer4ever
07-08-2011, 12:07 PM
http://www.1070thefan.com/gradyandjoe/podcast.aspx

podcast up

what he says about Danny not going to the players meetings doesn't make sense he is the player rep he should go.

90'sNBARocked
07-08-2011, 06:00 PM
I think it was a self confidence thing, not an arrogant thing before

Lance seems to be coming out opf his shell and I think him being in Nap this summer and playing in a city like Nap vs. say LA/NY/Chi is also evry beneficial

vnzla81
07-08-2011, 06:37 PM
So Lance didn't want to talk to Well's during the season but Wells was a big part of Lance bashing during the season, now he is talking to him and he is more mature? I guess I was right about Wells bias on this one.

Strummer
07-08-2011, 06:53 PM
So Lance didn't want to talk to Well's during the season but Lance was a big part of Wells bashing during the season, now he is talking to him and he is more mature? I guess I was right about Wells bias on this one.

Yeah, Wells repeatedly called for Lance to be cut. I think Lance showed good judgement in not talking to him. Hopefully Lance continues to be cautious around Wells.

QuickRelease
07-08-2011, 09:30 PM
You know what popped into my mind when Mike Wells was talking about Lance?

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eK0ALc-KESI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OakMoses
07-08-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't want to excuse bad behavior, but you have to think that last year was probably one of the most difficult years of Lance's life. For the first 19 years of his life, he was the best player on every basketball team he ever played on, and it wasn't even close. So he comes to the NBA, he's on a team that's not very good. He's watching some pretty mediocre players get loads of PT while he rides the pine. He's probably scoring nearly at will during practice. He's getting pumped up by Larry Bird constantly. He (and probably everybody else) is getting yelled at by O'Brien. Then he (and probably everybody else) are getting told they're the greatest thing since sliced bread by Vogel, even if they're the 15th guy and aren't going to ever see the floor. In the meantime you're facing court charges that could put you in jail.

That's a whole lot of stuff going on inside the brain of a 19 year old kid, who, reportedly, isn't on the high end of the maturity spectrum to begin with.

I have no doubt that he did some stupid stuff last year and caused some problems. I also have very little doubt that, with the help of some really good work by Clark Kellogg and some other Pacers staff, he's in a much better place now than he was a year ago. I hope it shows up on the basketball court because there really is something special about the kid that few people seem to have.

Sookie
07-08-2011, 11:16 PM
What Wells talks about, and I know it's been mentioned, is really why I like Dahntay. He can be infuriating on offense. And he clearly has an alpha attitude that may rub some the wrong way.

But last year it was Dahntay Jones talking to the younger guys about the lockout and how to prepare for it. There are negatives that go along with him. But, IMO, the positives outweigh them.

daschysta
07-09-2011, 12:05 AM
I don't want to excuse bad behavior, but you have to think that last year was probably one of the most difficult years of Lance's life. For the first 19 years of his life, he was the best player on every basketball team he ever played on, and it wasn't even close. So he comes to the NBA, he's on a team that's not very good. He's watching some pretty mediocre players get loads of PT while he rides the pine. He's probably scoring nearly at will during practice. He's getting pumped up by Larry Bird constantly. He (and probably everybody else) is getting yelled at by O'Brien. Then he (and probably everybody else) are getting told they're the greatest thing since sliced bread by Vogel, even if they're the 15th guy and aren't going to ever see the floor. In the meantime you're facing court charges that could put you in jail.

That's a whole lot of stuff going on inside the brain of a 19 year old kid, who, reportedly, isn't on the high end of the maturity spectrum to begin with.

I have no doubt that he did some stupid stuff last year and caused some problems. I also have very little doubt that, with the help of some really good work by Clark Kellogg and some other Pacers staff, he's in a much better place now than he was a year ago. I hope it shows up on the basketball court because there really is something special about the kid that few people seem to have.

Most all NBA players have been among the best players on their teams their whole careers, Lance doesn't have a special excuse. Heck Lance didn't exactly light up the college game you know. He obviously has talent, and I hope he puts it together, but he doesn't get a special pass to act like an entitled ***, because his story isn't really too different from any number of other NBA players.

pacer4ever
07-09-2011, 01:33 AM
Most all NBA players have been among the best players on their teams their whole careers, Lance doesn't have a special excuse. Heck Lance didn't exactly light up the college game you know. He obviously has talent, and I hope he puts it together, but he doesn't get a special pass to act like an entitled ***, because his story isn't really too different from any number of other NBA players.

Lance has been #1 ranked player in his class starting as early as 8th grade. I don't blame Lance as much as everyone telling him he is the greatest player ever. That stuff goes to his head and probably caused him to stop getting better and working hard. Like i said it is about having the right people in your circle. EJ was a top ranked player coming out of HS but his dad (his coach) would always tell him he has to keep improving and you aren't as good as you need to be. You need people like that in your life and Lance hasn't had that. But that's just my opinion i think having the right people around you mean a hell of a lot.

daschysta
07-09-2011, 01:44 AM
Lance has been #1 ranked player in his class starting as early as 8th grade. I don't blame Lance as much as everyone telling him he is the greatest player ever. That stuff goes to his head and probably caused him to stop getting better and working hard. Like i said it is about having the right people in your circle. EJ was a top ranked player coming out of HS but his dad (his coach) would always tell him he has to keep improving and you aren't as good as you need to be. You need people like that in your life and Lance hasn't had that. But that's just my opinion i think having the right people around you mean a hell of a lot.

I agree with alot of what your saying, all that I am saying is that lots of picks (especially top picks) are elite from a very early age, and still behave better than lance, despite not going through events which should have knocked their ego down a peg, alot of top picks not only starred in college to a much greater extent than lance, but were actually picked in the top 5 in the NBA draft, despite these boosts their still able largely to fit into the team concept more than lance seemed to last year.

I don't blame everything on lance, and admit your probably right that he hasn't had the right guidance all the time, just saying that improving and becoming a better person is on him, and that he isn't without blame. As a fan i'm rooting for him 100 percent, and our job as a franchis is to put him in a position to succeed, which I think we have.

pacer4ever
07-09-2011, 03:05 AM
I agree with alot of what your saying, all that I am saying is that lots of picks (especially top picks) are elite from a very early age, and still behave better than lance, despite not going through events which should have knocked their ego down a peg, alot of top picks not only starred in college to a much greater extent than lance, but were actually picked in the top 5 in the NBA draft, despite these boosts their still able largely to fit into the team concept more than lance seemed to last year.

I don't blame everything on lance, and admit your probably right that he hasn't had the right guidance all the time, just saying that improving and becoming a better person is on him, and that he isn't without blame. As a fan i'm rooting for him 100 percent, and our job as a franchis is to put him in a position to succeed, which I think we have.

And my point was he doesn't have the right people in his corner or didn't growing up. If he would of had EJ's dad as a father figure growing up he would be humble I can assure of that. It is all about the support system and who is guiding you. Like CP3 once said you don't wont people in your corner who are afraid to tell you the truth and just praise you. Which is essentially what everyone has done with Lance. I don't know if he will ever get it but the Pacers are making all the effort they can to support him and make him successful.

I think if he doesn't mature off the court and on the court after a few years of being with the Pacers then yes cut him he will never get it. Right now it is on Lances shoulders the Pacers are giving him all the help he needs. But as long as he wants to get better and be a great basketball player the best basketball ball player he can be. I could care less what he does off the court to a certain degree. I mean i know people didn't like Jax and those guys but i could care less what they did at a strip club as long as they play hard.(i mean obviously it is nice to have good guys but i want to win. As long as they don't kill anyone or do other extreme things i want the person on my team especially a guy like Stephen Jackson who gives 100% all the time)

Sandman21
07-09-2011, 03:10 AM
But last year it was Dahntay Jones talking to the younger guys about the lockout and how to prepare for it. There are negatives that go along with him. But, IMO, the positives outweigh them.

What do you expect when the previous head coach wouldn't play him during the "dark times"? He had to have SOMETHING to do.:laugh:

mattie
07-09-2011, 04:16 AM

No it is different. Most players are told they have a shot. Lance has been told he's God's gift to basketball even when he was in college. Big difference.

daschysta
07-09-2011, 05:22 AM
No it is different. Most players are told they have a shot. Lance has been told he's God's gift to basketball even when he was in college. Big difference.

Not really, all of the top tier prospects are pampered and doted on, it isn't like Lance was projected to be even a lottery pick near the end of his college career, it isn't like lance was an all-american like lots of top prospects. If his ego is still that big after all of his disapointment then that's his problem. The kid was a second round draft pick, and he wasn't a college mega star, he hasn't wowed int he NBA outside of the summerleague, I buy he has talent, but to act like he's entitled to be a spoiled child moreso than any other Prep star isn't really fair.

Sookie
07-09-2011, 11:58 AM
And my point was he doesn't have the right people in his corner or didn't growing up. If he would of had EJ's dad as a father figure growing up he would be humble I can assure of that. It is all about the support system and who is guiding you. Like CP3 once said you don't wont people in your corner who are afraid to tell you the truth and just praise you. Which is essentially what everyone has done with Lance. I don't know if he will ever get it but the Pacers are making all the effort they can to support him and make him successful.

I think if he doesn't mature off the court and on the court after a few years of being with the Pacers then yes cut him he will never get it. Right now it is on Lances shoulders the Pacers are giving him all the help he needs. But as long as he wants to get better and be a great basketball player the best basketball ball player he can be. I could care less what he does off the court to a certain degree. I mean i know people didn't like Jax and those guys but i could care less what they did at a strip club as long as they play hard.(i mean obviously it is nice to have good guys but i want to win. As long as they don't kill anyone or do other extreme things i want the person on my team especially a guy like Stephen Jackson who gives 100% all the time)

To a point. Going to a strip club. Fine..okay have fun. Honestly, the hooker incident was more funny than anything.

Shooting up a strip club. Uh...no..he's not going to get away with that in Indiana.

pacergod2
07-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I hope Stphenson and Hansborough become best friends. They would be each others' yin and yang. I think they could have very complimentary personalities. They would be a great pick and roll duo if they perfect it. They'd kill you in the mid range. Both are extremely strong. They'd get you free points by getting to the line.

I think they want to ease Stephenson along more from an ego standpoint. Kids are pretty fragile personalities. Tyler is older, he needs to play.

imawhat
07-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Tyler and Lance have a great on-court chemistry. They're one of the best combos on the team.

joew8302
07-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Tyler and Lance have a great on-court chemistry. They're one of the best combos on the team.

Umm what? Guess I didn't see much of this.

dal9
07-09-2011, 01:28 PM
I hope Stphenson and Hansborough become best friends. They would be each others' yin and yang. I think they could have very complimentary personalities.

Do I smell reality show?

pacergod2
07-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Do I smell reality show?

We don't need those two filming themselves with strippers.

Day-V
07-09-2011, 01:43 PM
We don't need those two filming themselves with strippers.

Strippers.......and Ping Pong.

Ozwalt72
07-09-2011, 02:10 PM

You know this from the 67 minutes they've shared time on the court?

Hicks
07-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Do I smell reality show?

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2be6jGwLoJ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

spazzxb
07-09-2011, 05:02 PM
To a point. Going to a strip club. Fine..okay have fun. Honestly, the hooker incident was more funny than anything.

Shooting up a strip club. Uh...no..he's not going to get away with that in Indiana.

nobody shot up a strip club. SJ fired one shot in the air when he was getting run over buy a Indy local.

You, and the other guy really need to let some of the bitterness from the alleged domestic violence case dissipate. Thats all the kid ever did. I guess he backed talked DJ as well. KLance doesn't even have a criminal record does he?

Sookie
07-09-2011, 05:42 PM
nobody shot up a strip club. SJ fired one shot in the air when he was getting run over buy a Indy local.

You, and the other guy really need to let some of the bitterness from the alleged domestic violence case dissipate. Thats all the kid ever did. I guess he backed talked DJ as well. Lance doesn't even have a criminal record does he?

It was an example, it wasn't even about Lance. It was about what Pacer4ever said about what type of guys you can have on a team. You can't have players that cause problems in Indiana. Actually, those type of players can't survive as a good team anywhere.

I don't know what happened in the incident before, but it had always been referred to, from what I've seen as "shooting up a strip club"

And I'm not getting into the Lance thing anymore. I've said my piece on it.

Kemo
07-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Strippers.......and Ping Pong.

Ping Pong balls?

LMFAO!!

The visual I just received made me:laugh: giggle like an immature schoolgirl :laugh: lolz ..

I am not gonna go into detail, I'll leave that to your imagination ... :)

If anyone on here "gets" what I am talking about, you'd laugh too if you've seen videos ..

ilive4sports
07-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Ping Pong balls?

LMFAO!!

The visual I just received made me:laugh: giggle like an immature schoolgirl :laugh: lolz ..

I am not gonna go into detail, I'll leave that to your imagination ... :)

If anyone on here "gets" what I am talking about, you'd laugh too if you've seen videos ..

I'm thinking of the first episode of Tosh.o with the beer pong and Bree Olsen...

Kemo
07-10-2011, 01:27 AM
I'm thinking of the first episode of Tosh.o with the beer pong and Bree Olsen...

lol.. ya

Day-V
07-10-2011, 03:26 AM
lol.. not even remotely in the same hemisphere ..

The South Park Movie and Winona Ryder.

Kemo
07-10-2011, 04:14 AM

nvm u are right.. i was thinking something else.. heh

speakout4
07-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Lance was so disruptive and so awful on the court the pacers couldn't wait to ship him back to NY after the season 2010-2011 season. Wait Mr. Terrible is still here and getting some positive press? I just can't believe he can't walk down the street and not at least jaywalk or commit some other felony. We now have him shooting up something or other. Wow.