PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Boylen gets the last Assistant spot

90'sNBARocked
07-07-2011, 08:07 PM
MikeWellsNBAMike Wells

Vogel's staff will be Boylen (if he accepts), Brian Shaw and Dan Burke. Pacers only going w 3 assistants next season

50 minutes ago

MikeWellsNBAMike Wells

Frank Vogel will offer the final spot on his staff to Jim Boylen, according to a source. Boylen interviewed w Vogel on Tuesday.

55 minutes ago

Oh the irony, the most I have been pumped up in 5 years and of course, Pacer luck brings the lockout

Stern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scot Pollard
07-07-2011, 08:17 PM
I wish we can add Brian Hill to the staff too and go with a 4 guy staff, but if Vogel wants just those 3 guys, by all means let it be a 3 man staff.

I do like Jim Boylan too. He has NBA head coaching experience when he was the interim coach for the Bulls when Scott Skiles was fired.

Ozwalt72
07-07-2011, 08:25 PM
Boylen NOT Boylan. Pretty significant difference.

Kegboy
07-07-2011, 08:31 PM

Eh, I think it's pretty cool to have a guy who interim coached the Bulls while he was the coach at the University of Utah. With only 3 assistants, we need people who can multitask.

And, for those who still don't get it...

This is who we got: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Boylen

This guy is still with Skiles in Milwaukee: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Boylan

spreedom
07-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Assistant coach with NBA championship pedigree... I like it!

Dgreenwell3
07-07-2011, 08:37 PM
McCarty left?

pacer4ever
07-07-2011, 08:39 PM
McCarty left?
more like let go he should thank JOB for the opportunity. He will probably get another job or go back to UK.

Scot Pollard
07-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Looking up some things about Jim BoylEn, ironically, he was an assistant coach for the Bucks like Jim BoylAn is today.

His coaching pedigree looks really good actually.

Some NBA assistant jobs, University of Utah's head coach at one point.

HC: Frank Vogel

AC: Brian Shaw
Dan Burke
Jim Boylen

Not a bad coaching group and with this young core we have, they fit together great.

pacer4ever
07-07-2011, 08:46 PM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/2011/07/07/vogel-to-offer-boylen-a-job-on-the-bench/

Frank Vogel is on the verge of completing his coaching staff.

Vogel, who was hired Wednesday, plans to offer the final spot on his staff to former University of Utah coach and NBA assistant Jim Boylen, according to a source.

Vogel interviewed Boylen on Tuesday.

Vogel’s staff next season (or whenever the lockout ends) will be Boylen (as long as he accepts the job), Brian Shaw (associate head coach) and Dan Burke, who has been with the Pacers for more than a decade.

The Pacers will go from five assistant coaches last season down to only three next season.

Here are some quick tidbits on Boylen:

–Head coach University of Utah (2007-11)
–Assistant coach Michigan State (2005-07)
–Assistant coach Milwaukee Bucks (2004-05)
–Assistant coach Golden State (2003-04)
–Assistant coach Houston Rockets (1992-2003)
–Assistant coach Michigan State (1987-1992)

Young
07-07-2011, 08:52 PM
The LA Times did a short profile about Boylen.

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/06/assistant-coaching-candidate-profile-jim-boylen.html?cid=6a00d8341c506253ef01538f56ce71970b

Sounds like Frank made a good choice. I like it.

Dgreenwell3
07-07-2011, 08:56 PM
more like let go he should thank JOB for the opportunity. He will probably get another job or go back to UK.

He is a family friend and i never heard a word about him leaving. From the Evansville area and remember watching him play, thought he would be perfect with the development of guys like Hansborough and George but I guess Frank is in charge now.

pacer4ever
07-07-2011, 08:57 PM
He is a family friend and i never heard a word about him leaving. From the Evansville area and remember watching him play, thought he would be perfect with the development of guys like Hansborough and George but I guess Frank is in charge now.

He could stay on i guess but they say they are only having 3 coaches

Trophy
07-07-2011, 09:22 PM

He's a nice guy.

I spoke to him twice on the road in Charlotte. Talking about coaching and how he enjoys the group.

He actually got my attention being a Pacer fan in attendance when he was going back into the locker room after pre-game shoot around.

With all that said, I really like the coaching staff Vogel has put together. I didn't really care if McCarty was going to stay or not.

Hicks
07-07-2011, 09:26 PM
The LA Times did a short profile about Boylen.

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/06/assistant-coaching-candidate-profile-jim-boylen.html?cid=6a00d8341c506253ef01538f56ce71970b

Sounds like Frank made a good choice. I like it.

Seriously, major props should go to Frank and his ability to recruit. I never would have thought he'd get two guys of this calibre to be on his staff.

tsm612
07-07-2011, 09:29 PM

Wasn't it Bird who said that Frank had to hire new assistants? I was thinking that firing the assistants and finding new ones was something he had to do in order to get the job. It doesn't sound at all like it was Frank's decision.

Hicks
07-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Wait that LA Times blog says Mike Brown is going to offer Boylen a seat on his bench. Would he really choose Frank/Indy?

Psyren
07-07-2011, 09:31 PM
For Frank being a rookie head coach, he sure did a nice job recruiting Shaw and Boylen.

CableKC
07-07-2011, 09:56 PM
2 Questions....

1 ) Which Asst Coach are we getting....James Boylen, Jim Boylen, James Boylan or Jim Boylan?
2 ) What's so special about whichever Boylen or Boylan that we get?

docpaul
07-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Wasn't it Bird who said that Frank had to hire new assistants? I was thinking that firing the assistants and finding new ones was something he had to do in order to get the job. It doesn't sound at all like it was Frank's decision.

This is the sign of an effective leader, IMO. Bird and leadership took the heat for something that needed to be done. Why should Vogel be left with JOB's assistant coaching legacy?

I try to be as even keeled in my assessment of JOB, but now that time has passed, it seems more obvious to me that JOB was dealing with internal dissension in his assistant coaching ranks (surprise surprise), and so he picked a bunch of "friends" that felt fortunate to even be a part of the NBA as a result to line his staff last year.

My guess is that Dick Harter and Lester Conner didn't have a chance to influence the team the way that Bird might have expected them to, and when Conner spoke out, he was marginalized and shown the door.

Sandman21
07-07-2011, 10:34 PM
We get a guy who has worked with an ALL-TIME great center in his prime (and Yao) AND kick the Lakers in the gut AGAIN when it comes to assistant coaches? Sign me up!

Sparhawk
07-07-2011, 10:43 PM
I approve. Pacers are looking strong already.

Now, about a starting PF....

Too soon?

dal9
07-07-2011, 10:58 PM
LA link is old...either he was not offered, or he did not take the job, it seems...not to mention he has not taken the Pacers job either (yet)

JB24
07-08-2011, 12:07 AM
IIRC, Brown rounded out his coaching staff last week when he decided to retain Person.

OakMoses
07-08-2011, 12:07 AM
Boylen ran a so-called pro-style offense with Utah and Michigan State and worked with the team's post players. He's worked with Hakeem Olajuwon and Yao Ming and helped Utes center Luke Nevill become more polished, suggesting Boylen will have valuable insight in further developing the Lakers' frontline in Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol.

Can we stop complaining about not having a big man coach?

gummy
07-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Seriously, major props should go to Frank and his ability to recruit. I never would have thought he'd get two guys of this calibre to be on his staff.

Part of me is surprised too. The other part of me remembers how I felt after that "we're changing the identity of this team," presser and many other moments like it. I was ready to suit up and set a pick in front of Dwight Howard for Coach Vogel and I'm 5'8. ;) One Frank's best attributes is that he inspires. He's a motivator and he gets you to buy into his vision.

CableKC
07-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Reading that LA Times blog, there was a little more from another Coaching Profile of Boylen:

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2011/5/29/2196654/penn-state-basketball-coaching-search-jim-boylen

3. What can you tell us about elements of his coaching style like defensive philosophy, tempo, etc.?

Jim Boylen ran a pro-style offense here at Utah, which was obviously heavily influenced by his coaching days in the NBA. I'm guessing, as is done at Michigan State, he would continue to run a more pro-style offense if he were to get a new head gig somewhere else.

He emphasized bigs and when he came to Utah, we loved the idea that he worked with Yao Ming and other NBA centers because the Utes' best player, Luke Nevill, was an unpolished center. We really thought he would be able to structure an offense that went inside out and really played to the strength of our bigs. There was hope that he could improve Nevill's offensive game and turn him into a poorer man's Andrew Bogut .

What he did was improve the defense of Nevill, but his offense regressed and he never really was capable of being a dominant center. When Nevill graduated after Boylen's second season, any aspect of an inside game graduated with him.

That might be the most disappointing thing about Boylen. He was a big-man coach and that was consistently the program's biggest weakness his last two years here. There was absolutely no inside game and with the offense he was trying to run, the lack of a scoring threat inside undermined everything he was trying to do at Utah.

4. Some of the YouTube videos out there of him paint him as a pretty fiery guy. How did that factor into his tenure at Utah?

Boylen is very enthusiastic and passionate about the game. That's what endeared him to the fans at first because the last coach we had was kind of a cold fish. He came in, shook things up and had us believing that this program would return to its glory days of the 1990s when another highly charged head coach, Rick Majerus, was roaming the sidelines.

I think that helped him initially because the players invested into what he was doing those first two years. I truly believe they would go to war for the guy and the fans would too. After his initial press conference, I felt like running through a brick wall. That's how fired up I was.

But I also think the team took on the shape of its coach. He was up and down throughout every game and much of the season. Not coincidentally, the team started taking on that characteristic. They would play up and down depending on the day. The team, like Boylen, was a yo-yo.

In the end, there was no calming, grounded force that kept the team focused. I think that ultimately played a role in why they were so inconsistent. You know, some coaches are great at not allowing their emotions to drive an entire season - not Boylen. Majerus was the master of this. He could be a raving maniac on the sidelines, but most of the time, he never really let it affect the flow of the game.

It looks like he does work with Big Men.....but I'm not sure what to take from the opinion above.

CableKC
07-08-2011, 12:33 AM
From what I have read....it looked like Boylen was all set to go to the Lakers as an Asst Coach...but now he's with us?

What happened?

Kegboy
07-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Can we stop complaining about not having a big man coach?

I complained about that for 7 years, but stopped when we hired Vitaly. Others didn't seem to notice.

Kegboy
07-08-2011, 08:26 AM
It looks like he does work with Big Men.....but I'm not sure what to take from the opinion above.

I would take it as either he couldn't recruit, which I've pointed to before, or he didn't have what it took for the big chair. Neither of those matter here.

Gee, running a system that doesn't fit your personnel, where have I heard that before. :hmm::p

Speed
07-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Boylen has the experience to be a lead assistant, easily. Shaw has the experience to be a Head coach and I'd guess he will be soon.

Put it this way, I would have been really excited if Shaw was named the Head Coach, to get him as the Associate Head Coach is a coup.

If things go well with Vogel next year, I could see Shaw getting a Head coaching job somewhere else, Boylen moving right into that slot.

They really nailed it, I think, kudos to Larry Bird and Frank on this one.

BillS
07-08-2011, 10:06 AM
I try to be as even keeled in my assessment of JOB, but now that time has passed, it seems more obvious to me that JOB was dealing with internal dissension in his assistant coaching ranks (surprise surprise), and so he picked a bunch of "friends" that felt fortunate to even be a part of the NBA as a result to line his staff last year.

It always kills me that the unspoken phrase every time people talk about JOB hiring patsies as assistants is "except for Frank, of course. Oh, and Dan Burke, who is staying but wasn't hired by JOB so must have been exempted from JOB being totally in charge of firing and hiring assistants."

I'm not seeing anything other than spite from people to show that McCarty, DeFruscio, and Potapenko we somehow bottom of the barrel and useless. I think all we've really seen is that they aren't appropriate assistants FOR FRANK.

BPump33
07-08-2011, 10:12 AM
It won't let me post a new thread, but what is this about?!?!

MikeWellsNBA
The Pacers are in the process of hiring former Portland GM Kevin Pritchard, according to multiple sources.

MikeWellsNBA

Its unclear what Pritchard's role will be w the Pacers but he'll work under President Larry Bird and GM David Morway, according to sources

BPump33
07-08-2011, 10:14 AM
stevekylerNBA

According to Pacer sources... Larry Bird's role will decrease this year and Pritchard and Morway will handle all aspects of operations

gummy
07-08-2011, 12:13 PM
stevekylerNBA

According to Pacer sources... Larry Bird's role will decrease this year and Pritchard and Morway will handle all aspects of operations

What? If true, that basically sounds like "Larry Bird is a figurehead."

Hicks
07-08-2011, 12:14 PM
So this is Boylen with an E we're looking to hire, correct? I'll edit the thread title to hopefully make things more clear.

ECKrueger
07-08-2011, 12:21 PM
So this is Boylen with an E we're looking to hire, correct? I'll edit the thread title to hopefully make things more clear.

Yes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-8765811

McKeyFan
07-08-2011, 12:53 PM
This is the sign of an effective leader, IMO. Bird and leadership took the heat for something that needed to be done. Why should Vogel be left with JOB's assistant coaching legacy?

My guess is that Dick Harter and Lester Conner didn't have a chance to influence the team the way that Bird might have expected them to, and when Conner spoke out, he was marginalized and shown the door.

Agreed. I posted this when Bird first talked about it. Just one less hassle for Vogel in firing guys he was just colleagues with.

I also think the rest of your post is spot on. JOB was quite a gem.

CableKC
07-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Yeah...you should probably EDIT the "A" to an "E" in the title....as the Bucks just extended the contract for Jim BoylAN so that he remains on their Coaching Staff.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214641/Bucks_Extend_Asssistant_Coach_Jim_Boylan

The "A" and "E" could only serve to confuse the "already confused".

Really?
07-08-2011, 01:35 PM
So latest news... I didn't see this posted yet but here you guys go, this is from ESPN Rumor Central.

Boylan headed back to Milwaukee?
12:16
PM ET
Milwaukee Bucks

TopEmailComments

Jim Boylan was in the mix to assume the newly-created defensive assistant role under Alvin Gentry in Phoenix.

Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star also reported Thursday that Pacers head coach Frank Vogel interviewed Boylan on Tuesday and plans to offer the final spot on his coaching staff to him.

Yet, according to Gery Woelfel of the Racine Journal-Times on Thursday, Boylan has decided to sign a new one-year contract with the Bucks.

Boylan will likely continue to work with Milwaukee's defense on the other side of the lockout.

-- Ryan Corazza

Seems like we might have to head in a different direction...

wintermute
07-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Jim Boylan is not the same as Jim Boylen. We're getting Boylen.

And people thought getting George Hill was confusing.

BillS
07-08-2011, 01:38 PM
It's Boylen with an E not Boylan with an A 'cause Boylan with an A goes "aaaaaaaaaaah"

Really?
07-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Wow even ESPN people are getting confused... they even quoted Mike Wells wrong..

Hicks
07-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Having seen that "highlight video" of his, I'm not thrilled with how Boylen can act with the press. There's potential for embarrassment.

BPump33
07-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Having seen that "highlight video" of his, I'm not thrilled with how Boylen can act with the press. There's potential for embarrassment.

Maybe knowing his attitude the media will seek him out, but I don't think assistant coaches are asked many questions following games. That seems to be when he was most "on edge."

I'll say this, if our guys can't be motivated by Vogel, Shaw or Boylen I think they are in the wrong profession.

docpaul
07-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Oh man, lighten up... we have been WAAAAY too vanilla and sterile with this team.

How can you not smirk with the whipped cream on a turd comment? :)

It's like a breath of fresh air to me. It's a game, for crying out loud.

It's time to get some vitality in this organization, and all of the recent moves help with that.

joew8302
07-08-2011, 04:39 PM
So we have as many GM types as coaches? This should be interesting.

Part Timer
07-08-2011, 05:14 PM

If Conner had been retained, would Frank Vogel be the head coach of the Pacers?

CableKC
07-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Yeah....Boylen doesn't appear to be a guy that you want in front of a Microphone that often..if at all. The good thing is that Assistant Coaches don't usually get interviewed by the Media....so we only :pray: that he stays out of the limelight.

CableKC
07-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Oh man, lighten up... we have been WAAAAY too vanilla and sterile with this team.

How can you not smirk with the whipped cream on a turd comment? :)

It's like a breath of fresh air to me. It's a game, for crying out loud.

It's time to get some vitality in this organization, and all of the recent moves help with that.
I'm not detracting from what Boylen can bring to the Coaching Staff...I'm just saying that he doesn't appear to be the type of guy that you'd want answering questions to reporters.

But there's a difference between getting some vitality into the Organization ( such as adding KP to the FO, Brian Shaw to the Coaching Staff and FINALLY removing the "Interim" Tag in front of Vogel's name ) and potentially bad PR waiting to happen. The Organization as a whole can enter a new era of being tough, competitive and well respected without having to hear some of the stuff that Boylen said in front of the Media.

PacerGuy
07-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Jim Boylan is not the same as Jim Boylen. We're getting Boylen.

And people thought getting George Hill was confusing.

Seriously,can't one of theseguys just start going by "James" & be done w/ this crap already? :whoknows:

Actually...

Thinking more about this, lets let the OTHER Jim change his name!
I don't want people to start mixing up our "James" Boylen w/ "James Dolan" because then Zeke might get mixed up & start calling the Fieldhouse, & I don't want that to EVER happen again! ;)