PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the Laimbeer supporters

greengirl33
07-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Hey there - long time lurker, first time poster here. Been watching your coaching staff threads and have a couple questions for those who want to see Laimbeer with your Pacers.

1. Although he had success in the WNBA, I can't recall any NBA teams really reaching out to him for any positions - not to say they didn't just not too many coming to mind. Do you think that this has to do with the typical not the right/or enough experience reason and if so why do you think he would be a good fit in the Pacers system?

2. Some posters have noted Laimbeer would be a great big man coach for Hibbert. JOB was accused of going overboard with comments to the public. I never really followed Laimbeer's career but I remember watching him play and Mr. Nice guy is not the first description that comes to mind. What big men has he helped and why do you think Laimbeer and Hibbert would be a perfect combo?

Apologies upfront if this has already been a post. Also, thanks for letting me be a part of this forum.

Sookie
07-07-2011, 01:03 PM
I was a Laimbeer supporter.

I think some NBA fans might question the experience, but I don't think the league does. I think what NBA teams question, is his coaching style. In essence, he expects to be the top dog, where as most NBA teams, it's the star player that runs the show. (With the exception of Kobe and Phil) Bill probably wouldn't do that great if he doesn't have complete control.

I think it would have been fine with this group. Because the Coach IS the top guy on this team.

However, after the O'brien mess, and seeing how Hibbert handled that..as much as I think Laimbeer would be great as a head coach, for those two, I don't know how Hibbert would have handled it. I don't think Hibbert is a baby...but I don't know that consistently making fun of him/degrading him would help him improve. That type of motivation does work on some players. Not Roy. And I consider Roy to be about the second most important player on this team.

Now Hansbrough...Laimbeer is a match made in heaven for Hansbrough.

Kegboy
07-07-2011, 02:37 PM
:welcome:

I would agree with Sookie. He's got the bonafides to be an NBA coach, but his temperment could be a real problem.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2011, 04:20 PM
I can't recall any NBA teams really reaching out to him for any positions

He was an ast coach with the T-Wolves this past season.

PacerDude
07-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Could be that he's a d.....................

greengirl33
07-07-2011, 06:32 PM
He was an ast coach with the T-Wolves this past season.

Appreciate it, but I do realize he was in Minny. The only other team I'm aware of interviewing him is the recent situation with the Pistons. And from what I understand Laimbeer isn't one of the forerunners for that job or for that matter the one Kahn just created in Minny. I guess this is why I was curious as to why some Pacer fans think Laimbeer would fit their system.

Like I had said before I never really followed his career. Sad part is, although I never liked his "going a little overboard" in his playing style, I do agree that Laimbeer was a talented player with a knowledge of the game.

tikitomoka
07-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Part of the reason (a large part) he has yet to get an NBA coaching position is his persons as a player as well as that same attitude that he still has. The dude's a prick, simple as that. Same reason Ewing hasn't found a head coaching position either.

Kstat
07-08-2011, 11:49 AM
If that were true, Danny Ainge and Paul Silas would never have gotten a job.