PDA

View Full Version : will the lockout affect nba 2k12

DENZSKI2204
07-07-2011, 10:03 AM
was just wondering, that is all?

Hicks
07-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Only in that the rosters won't look as different as they normally do; the biggest changes will be the rookies, but obviously without trades and free agency during the summer, rosters will be more similar than they otherwise would be by the release of the game.

As far as I know, 2k12 will come out some time in October.

LetsTalkPacers
07-07-2011, 10:44 AM
i want to believe your right hicks, but if they can use any player names or likeness. then how can they. if they cant show a picture of a player on a website, why would they be ale to put one on a game and sell it.

dgranger33
07-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Madden 2012 is coming out with the NFL in lockout, so I don't know why the NBA game couldn't come out.

El Pacero
07-07-2011, 10:49 AM
They're still selling player jerseys on nba.com and team websites, so kinda looks like they pick and choose based on money.

Hicks
07-07-2011, 10:55 AM
i want to believe your right hicks, but if they can use any player names or likeness. then how can they. if they cant show a picture of a player on a website, why would they be ale to put one on a game and sell it.

Well, regarding the NBA, they're choosing not to use those images; they can if they want to.

And also, I've read nothing suggesting that 2k sports can't use the images. I think they probably can because they likely signed a multi-year deal with whomever they needed to for the use of those player's names/images/etc.

I've read nothing to suggest there's a problem; the previews for 2k12 have not said a thing about this being an issue (and I'd imagine they would).

Swish
07-07-2011, 10:57 AM
The license to use the players likeness is separate from the license to use team names/uniforms. Even rookies should be in the game.

LetsTalkPacers
07-07-2011, 10:59 AM
They're still selling player jerseys on nba.com and team websites, so kinda looks like they pick and choose based on money.
OK, that makes sense. My next question would be. Do the players currently still make money off products like this even though there's a lockout?

BRushWithDeath
07-07-2011, 11:03 AM
OK, that makes sense. My next question would be. Do the players currently still make money off products like this even though there's a lockout?

Yes. The contracts which allow the video game companies to use player likenesses and names is with the NBPA not with with NBA.

LetsTalkPacers
07-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Instead of association mode this year, they should put in a League mode. So I can fire Stern, solve the lockout, and give the pacers the #1 pick they so longly deserved

Trader Joe
07-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Yes. The contracts which allow the video game companies to use player likenesses and names is with the NBPA not with with NBA.

This. 2k12 has contracts with both entities.

BRushWithDeath
07-07-2011, 12:08 PM
This. 2k12 has contracts with both entities.

Right.

Player names and faces: NBPA

Team names, logos, etc: NBA

yoadknux
07-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Well, we probably won't see commercials like this one though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ol2HYCnVbs

How did they make Lee so ugly? Granger isn't too pretty either.

Swish
07-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Why not? In fact, you'll probably see MORE commercials like that, as players will be hard up for cash.

ksuttonjr76
07-07-2011, 02:17 PM
http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285831

I hope this helps.

spazzxb
07-07-2011, 02:48 PM
http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/07/02/nba-2k12-positioned-to-fare-relatively-well-despite-lockout

NBA 2K12 Positioned to Fare Relatively Well Despite Lockout
by pastapadre
Posted July 2nd, 2011 at 2:30 pm

2K Sports is coming off the extraordinary release of NBA 2K11 which in most years would mean smooth sailing. Word of mouth from the previous iteration often is the biggest influence on consumer support and confidence and marketing wise the company has that in its back pocket. However with the NBA lockout official and expected to extend into the season the series now faces similar hurdles to those Madden NFL 12 dealt with earlier in the summer. More problematic is that 2K12 does so with a labor situation that appears much less likely to be resolved without damage having being done first.

NBA 2K12 does have the benefit of the Madden series having fended off the majority of “will the game come out?” questions. It took months of stating the game would release and do so with all the teams and rosters – and several initiatives such as the cover athlete voting – to get that message across. Consumers largely now understand that despite a lockout the licenses remain in place to release the games. It’s fascinating however to see the lengths to which the NBA is distancing itself from the players. All official websites have removed images of the players. NBA 2K12 could be the only way for fans to connect with players at all.

Like Madden there is also no worry about competition as EA Sports delayed the return of their sim NBA series to 2012. Though EA Sports NBA surely would have been pushed back regardless, knowing the lockout was inevitable probably gave the company extra confidence to use this year to build rather than push out a product that could not compete. NBA 2K12 therefore has the market to itself. Both companies recently extended their contracts with the NBA.

Analysts believe NBA 2K12 could see sales drops of 50% or more if a lockout causes a delay to the start of the season or a complete cancellation. That seems a bit extreme – though sales will likely not reach last year’s heights regardless. First week sales will still be strong but the struggles would come in its hold from month to month and holiday sales. 2K11 has shown unbelievably strong holds keeping it in the top 10 in software sales even last month. Less reliance on the current (now past) season seems to have helped and that can be attributed to the incorporation of the Michael Jordan based modes.

Without roster updates driving interest and features such as NBA Today crippled keeping up interest levels and relevance to the public will be difficult. There is also the question of whether rookies will be included on rosters which has yet to be addressed. Even if sales were to drop by half of what 2K11 did to keep things in perspective those numbers would still be more than 2K10′s sales. Not a tragic result just a disappointing one for 2K.

The NBA 2K series has built such a strong fan base the past few years that it will survive even a lengthy lockout. 2K Sports surely planned ahead and will introduce compelling features meant to counteract problems that will be come upon should the lockout drag on. The series will take a hit but its momentum should be enough to carry it though. Longterm effects however could be felt if the popularity of the NBA drops in the process.

ksuttonjr76
07-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I know that I was planning to buy NBA 2K12 regardless.

Day-V
07-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Anybody remember NBA Live 99? That came out during the lockout.

ksuttonjr76
07-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Anybody remember NBA Live 99? That came out during the lockout.

http://www.nba-live.com/nbalivewiki/index.php/NBA_Live_99

Although it did not feature free agency or generated rookies, it would turn out to be the forerunner to Franchise Mode. NBA Live 99 shipped with 1997/1998 season rosters due to the NBA Lockout of 1998/1999 putting a hold on player movements and rookie signings during the summer of 1998. Some prominent bugs led to the NBA Live Series Center submitting a patch petition to EA Sports which resulted in two official patches which included roster updates for the 98/99 season.

rel
07-07-2011, 04:01 PM
i wouldn't be suprised if 2k12 outsells expectations just cuz bball fans are going to be going through a bad withdrawal of NBA action come October :P

Sandman21
07-07-2011, 04:04 PM
I may actually pass on 2k12 this time around. I'll have to see what they add to the mix.

kielbeze
07-07-2011, 04:29 PM
it is okay they wont have to spend so much time making the new rosters with no summer trades. It gives them more time to make area 55 look more realistic!

Trophy
07-07-2011, 04:35 PM
No?

http://phillysportslive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/stern2k12.jpg

A.B.Hollywood
07-07-2011, 04:50 PM
I've worked in the video game industry for nearly 10 years, 6 of which with EA Sports and specifically Madden. The statement earlier is correct that the deal is with the players separately.

There will absolutely, no doubt, be an NBA 2k12 game. I even have colleagues working on it now.

Edit: Whoops. Didn't see a couple of the posts here before chiming in. Apologies.

kielbeze
07-07-2011, 04:53 PM
No?

http://phillysportslive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/stern2k12.jpg
Ha I like it the basis is you tour the world with your favorite players playing exhibition games, shooting commercials, and making appearances along the way to fund your journey. One of the hurdles you will have to face is at an early stage in the game
you will have to be on Bonzi Wells' team.

Sandman21
07-07-2011, 04:58 PM
They put Area 55 into the game.... then its getting bought. :D

kielbeze
07-07-2011, 04:59 PM
They put Area 55 into the game.... then its getting bought. :D

Supposedly Kellog pitched it.

LetsTalkPacers
07-07-2011, 05:54 PM
It doesnt matter at the end of the day i be whooping kielbeze's *** whether it be in 2k11 or 2k12

pacer4ever
07-07-2011, 07:12 PM
It doesnt matter at the end of the day i be whooping kielbeze's *** whether it be in 2k11 or 2k12

he is afraid to play me smhh

kielbeze
07-07-2011, 08:11 PM
he is afraid to play me smhh
I am because B Rush told me every since he played you you have been sending him Brett Favre pictures in his inbox.

pacer4ever
07-07-2011, 08:18 PM
I am because B Rush told me every since he played you you have been sending him Brett Favre pictures in his inbox.

:laugh::laugh:

but 4 real u fear me in 2k

Hicks
07-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Supposedly Kellog pitched it.

Really? That's sweet if true!

Day-V
07-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Really? That's sweet if true!

Haha, I tweeted Area 55 and 2ksports about it. The Area 55 guys said they'd run it by Kellogg.

I wouldn't mind doing some Voice Over work and other consulting for the company in terms of realism of Area 55. I draw the line at Mo-Cap, though. I will not put on that suit.

ECKrueger
07-07-2011, 10:22 PM
i wouldn't be suprised if 2k12 outsells expectations just cuz bball fans are going to be going through a bad withdrawal of NBA action come October :P

That is a pretty good point.

pacer4ever
07-07-2011, 10:32 PM
That is a pretty good point.

I already have 2k12 rosters on 2k11

ECKrueger
07-07-2011, 11:05 PM

Well they usually add new features and what not, and not every one has 11.

spreedom
07-07-2011, 11:08 PM

Created players suck. I'll wait for the real thing.

Midcoasted
07-07-2011, 11:25 PM
I like 2k, but I have always preferred Live. I know most everyone here hates Live, but up until last year when it wasn't released , it's the game me and my friends always played.

I'm looking forward to the new Live now that the Madden guys are making it. I just feel that the 2k is too easy. Go to the rack and hit the joystick and it will do everything for you. It seems way too "simulated." I like having to control everything, and that's where I thought Live was always better.

A.B.Hollywood
07-07-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm looking forward to the new Live now that the Madden guys are making it. I just feel that the 2k is too easy. Go to the rack and hit the joystick and it will do everything for you. It seems way too "simulated." I like having to control everything, and that's where I thought Live was always better.

emphasis mine.

This is tricky. Its not really the "madden" guys making this. A good portion of this game will be shipped to the soon to be Austin location. The Orlando team will remain focused on football titles and the NFL license.

Having said that it is OBVIOUS that they will do better than the previous regime. Hell they were Canadian and that studio (EAC - Vancouver) focused more on Fifa and it showed. Fifa btw is an amazing game but that effort never translated into a sport they obviously didnt love.

Just dont expect any major strides. The Producer in charge is -meh-

Day-V
07-07-2011, 11:55 PM
I just feel that the 2k is too easy. Go to the rack and hit the joystick and it will do everything for you.

Funny, that's what I always thought about Live.

pacer4ever
07-08-2011, 01:24 AM
Funny, that's what I always thought about Live.

I bet he doesn't play on HOF with sim style sliders he plays rookie mode with 2k

Live was cake on the hardest settings

Midcoasted
07-08-2011, 05:07 AM
I bet he doesn't play on HOF with sim style sliders he plays rookie mode with 2k

Live was cake on the hardest settings

Nah I either play online or my friends on the hardest setting. Trust me if I beat them good the first thing they would do is make sure the setting was right. I never play the computer though. Anyways it looks like Elite or whatever won't even come out until 2012. It will be sink or swim for them then.

I'm fine with 2k12, I just prefer competition. I honestly like both, and used to really like the Live because I was really good at it. I was winning over 80 percent of my games online and was on like a 26 game winning streak against my friends at one point. It took me a while to get used to 2k12 but I just beat my friend who owns the game (I don't) by 26 and then by 50 points and Stephenson dominated him both games, putting up 50 on HOF. And my friend is actually good at the game, or so he thinks.:devil:

pacer4ever
07-08-2011, 05:38 AM
Well they usually add new features and what not, and not every one has 11.

why would they buy 12 and not 11? 11 was the best 2k game in ages. I will buy 12 but i could see why some people pass. I hope this makes 2k add a lot more features than they would of without a lockout like a better my player to get more buys.

ksuttonjr76
07-08-2011, 10:19 AM
I like 2k, but I have always preferred Live. I know most everyone here hates Live, but up until last year when it wasn't released , it's the game me and my friends always played.

I stopped being a fan of Live, since NBA 2k2. I will give EA Sports their due props though. NBA Live 10 was a good game, but I know that Mike Wang helped produce that game, and he's back with 2KSports now.

I don't know who you have been playing, but 2K is not "easy". With the shot stick, the 2K series gives you the most control. However, the verdict is still out NBA Elite if/when it comes out in 2012.

ksuttonjr76
07-08-2011, 10:22 AM

Honestly, I thought the same thing too. I think it will lose its longevity though after the initial purchase, since there won't be any roster updates to keep it "fresh". Of course, I remember a time of playing it all season before roster updates became the norm.

Trader Joe
07-08-2011, 11:10 AM
I'll probably pass on 2k12 to be honest.

Day-V
07-08-2011, 11:15 AM
I know it'd never happen, but I'd LOVE to have a 1994-1995 Classic Pacers team in it, complete with FloJos and Market Square.

pacer4ever
07-08-2011, 11:21 AM
I know it'd never happen, but I'd LOVE to have a 1994-1995 Classic Pacers team in it, complete with FloJos and Market Square.

If Reggie was part of the players association i bet the 98 team would of been on 2k11

Dr. Hibbert
07-08-2011, 11:59 AM
NBA 2K11 is damn near perfect anyway.

pacer4ever
07-08-2011, 12:04 PM
NBA 2K11 is damn near perfect anyway.

the AI is terrible and the passing needs fixed i would like them to change the fake pass button to bounce pass. If they get the AI right in 2k12 i agree

ECKrueger
07-08-2011, 12:09 PM
why would they buy 12 and not 11? 11 was the best 2k game in ages. I will buy 12 but i could see why some people pass. I hope this makes 2k add a lot more features than they would of without a lockout like a better my player to get more buys.

They didn't have money, they like new features, they just got a xbox, they are starving for basketball, they played Live before, etc., etc.

Dr. Hibbert
07-08-2011, 01:08 PM
the AI is terrible and the passing needs fixed i would like them to change the fake pass button to bounce pass. If they get the AI right in 2k12 i agree

The AI is terrible? How in the hell do you figure that?

Hicks
07-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Having a toolbox of different passes would be a great update if they ever do it. I hate turning the ball over when I see a (in real life) very doable pass if done correctly, only to have my player always try to slam the ball right through the defender instead of bypassing him.

Swish
07-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Honestly, I thought the same thing too. I think it will lose its longevity though after the initial purchase, since there won't be any roster updates to keep it "fresh". Of course, I remember a time of playing it all season before roster updates became the norm.

It won't be the longevity of people who bought the game already still playing it that will be the problem, because, honsetly, once you shell over the 60 bucks, they no longer care about you. You're a strain on their servers more than anything. What will be the problem is the people who hold out until January, February, March, etc, for the season to really be in full swing to get the game (people like me). Those will be the people that will not be swayed into buying the game by following the season if there isn't one.

I loooooooooove NBA 2K11. More than I love NBA basketball, tbh. The passing game IS a problem, but if you jack up user Pass Accuracy, and tone down the CPU's Play the Passing Lanes tendency, then it's much more playable. My biggest gripe is how hard a real fast break is to orchestrate. You throw an outlet pass, and the receiver takes a second or two catch the pass, gather himself, turn around, and THEN start moving. By then the defense has all caught up. Once in awhile would be fine, but it's every time. Or the pass will go lead the player away from the basket, which is just as bad.

Deadshot
07-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I love 2k11 but there is always room for improvement. Someone was asking about the AI earlier...one example: it seems like centers and big men rarely play in the post (unless you call your own plays). Also, I have trouble getting wings to cut to the basket.

I loved Myplayer but I just hope the servers get better before 2k12...not counting on it though.

Loved the Jordan stuff and hope they choose another player to continue the theme for this season (would rather be a past player like Bird or someone).

And did you guys really hear that Area 55 will be in the game? Is it just a mention from Clark on the commentary or are they visually represented? If thats the case, Squad 6 should be on there too.

Swish
07-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah, moving without the basketball was a big problem, too, as was the entire team standing behind the 3 point arc 85% of the time.

Day-V
07-09-2011, 02:49 AM
And did you guys really hear that Area 55 will be in the game? Is it just a mention from Clark on the commentary or are they visually represented? If thats the case, Squad 6 should be on there too.

I just tweeted randomly one night to 2K and Area55 that we should be in the game. Got a tweet back from Area55 saying they'd pass the idea along to Clark. I haven't heard anything really since. More than likely it'd be too late to do it by now. The game's probably pretty much done presentation-wise.

I was just hoping they'd put the Area 55 banners up in Section 101. I would've been stoked just for that. An actual mention from Clark in the game? That'd be nuts!

Sandman21
07-09-2011, 03:03 AM
If thats the case, Squad 6 should be on there too.

They didn't ask.:D

They didn't have money, they like new features, they just got a xbox, they are starving for basketball, they played Live before, etc., etc.
Poor saps who stuck with EA's NBA product. Especially since I believe the NBA2k title has historically been cheaper for the last several years (plus as a PC gamer, EA Sports has completely given the middle finger and will not develop their titles for the PC anymore. I've been stuck with Madden 08 with updated rosters for three years now.)

Daniel33
07-09-2011, 06:01 AM
I just tweeted randomly one night to 2K and Area55 that we should be in the game. Got a tweet back from Area55 saying they'd pass the idea along to Clark. I haven't heard anything really since. More than likely it'd be too late to do it by now. The game's probably pretty much done presentation-wise.

I was just hoping they'd put the Area 55 banners up in Section 101. I would've been stoked just for that. An actual mention from Clark in the game? That'd be nuts!

Steve Kerr will join NBA 2k12 as a commentator and it seems like he will be replacing Clark Kellogg so I don't see a reason why he could impact the decision to include Area 55 into the game. Would be coll if the owuld add Area 55 though.

Source: http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/03/11/nba-2k12-adding-steve-kerr-as-commentator

Day-V
07-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Steve Kerr will join NBA 2k12 as a commentator and it seems like he will be replacing Clark Kellogg so I don't see a reason why he could impact the decision to include Area 55 into the game. Would be coll if the owuld add Area 55 though.

Source: http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/03/11/nba-2k12-adding-steve-kerr-as-commentator

That's an old link. Clark said himself he's the voice of NBA 2K12. Said it at Roy's softball game a few weeks ago. Probably a 3 Man Booth.

Hicks
07-09-2011, 03:05 PM
I hope that's what it is; I like the idea of a 3-man booth for 2k.

A.B.Hollywood
07-09-2011, 04:21 PM

If its not in the game by now there is zero chance it could get added. ZERO.

pacer4ever
07-09-2011, 10:25 PM
BREAKING NEWS 2k12 cover announced

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j430/pacer4ever/x2_7099641-1.jpg

Hicks
07-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Pretty sure that was already posted before. And in a not-obnoxiously-large format, either.

pacer4ever
07-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Pretty sure that was already posted before. And in a not-obnoxiously-large format, either.

not with Kevin Love and Blake Griffin in jail

Day-V
07-10-2011, 05:45 AM
not with Kevin Love and Blake Griffin in jail

Way to totally not get the point.

Natston
07-10-2011, 03:38 PM

Come on you gotta like the ability to see the pixels...

xBulletproof
07-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Anyone know any 'My Player' improvements?

That will more than likely be my deciding factor.

Hicks
07-11-2011, 01:51 PM
I just hope they tweak the AI to where it's difficult because of how it plays, not because the game cheats you by making you miss too many shots and letting them hit too many well-defended shots. Not to mention the 'psychic ability' to see the ball with your head turned and pick off passes.

But I can't even play against the CPU because either the game wins by manipulating things or it's too easy in other ways if you start hopping down the difficulty ladder.

If I just have to play, I'd play at All-Star, but there's not perfect spot. I realize there are sliders, but I don't want to fiddle with them.

Jumping to Team Up mode, an easy fix to me is they need to crank up the ability of the AI to hit wide-open shots when your human opponents are deliberately double-teaming you constantly because they know there will be too many (for you) bricks by your AI buddies.

But they need to be careful because you don't want to make the AI a flamethrower from the outside (most of the time), either.