PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard thought to be biggest impact rookie

LetsTalkPacers
07-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Which newbie will make the biggest impact in '11-12? Over his career?

By: Jordan Heimer, Jonathan Santiago

Jordan Heimer, ClipperBlog: Next season: Kawhi Leonard instantly solves the Spurs' Richard Jefferson problems in two ways -- Leonard is a combo forward the Spurs can use to match up against smaller, quicker lineups, and he provides significant rebounding from the 3 when the Spurs play big.

Jonathan Santiago, Cowbell Kingdom: Kawhi Leonard gets my vote for Part 1. His hustling mentality will earn him minutes right off the bat for an aging yet still competitive Spurs team. But long-term, I like Alec Burks. His scoring ability will translate well to the NBA level. And his spotty defense is just a question of effort, which can be fixed.

Full Article Here:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=5-on-5-110706

For someone that all I heard was "He has big hands" these are pretty bold predictions. I still think both teams came good on this trade.

pacer4ever
07-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Alec Burks long term i agree him and Reggie Jackson will be good long term in the short term they have a bit of learning though

PacerPenguins
07-06-2011, 07:53 PM
wow 2 predictions from people who I have never heard of.....

LetsTalkPacers
07-06-2011, 07:56 PM
wow 2 predictions from people who I have never heard of.....
Thats what I thought. They were part of that nba 5on5 espn thing

CompACE
07-06-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm sure if we would've kept him, he would'nt have even made the list.

LetsTalkPacers
07-06-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm sure if we would've kept him, he would'nt have even made the list.
He shouldn't have made this list regardless

ballism
07-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Spurs bias.
I do think he'll be good, but he won't make a huge impact right away till he develops a shot a la Bowen.

90'sNBARocked
07-06-2011, 08:31 PM
For someone who screamed bloddy murder when we traded away the rights to Jeralyd Bayless, because he was "the steal of the draft" or we "gave up a superstar"

I have no right uttering one word, not one

Pacersalltheway10
07-06-2011, 10:01 PM
I would have gladly kept bayless instead of rush but we won that trade we got Jack and JMac back too.

joeco
07-06-2011, 11:17 PM
anyone with top 15 pick talent would likely succeed in SA considering the stability of the franchise and how defined your role would be. when you land in SA theres a plan set for you in place so according to that logic almost any 1st rounder selected by SA will get off to a good start. theyve been the most consistent franchise of the last 15 years ffs.

one thing is for sure, unless we planned to trade away George or Granger he wouldnt have an immediate role here. GL to him

ilive4sports
07-07-2011, 03:02 AM
Yet he won't have as much of an impact as George Hill will here.

Will Galen
07-07-2011, 03:16 AM
For someone who screamed bloddy murder when we traded away the rights to Jeralyd Bayless, because he was "the steal of the draft" or we "gave up a superstar"

I have no right uttering one word, not one

Ahh everybody . . . even the pros get it wrong.

However, there's some on here that I don't think they ever admit a mistake. At least you admit when you are wrong.

Why I have even got it wong.

:D

Pacers4Life
07-07-2011, 03:18 AM
Yet he won't have as much of an impact as George Hill will here.

^ true fact.

rexnom
07-07-2011, 04:40 AM
Folks-let go of Jerryd Bayless and Kawhi Leonard. For our and, more importantly, your sake.

Unclebuck
07-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Never seen this guy play and never heard of him until the pacers drafted him and then for about 10 minutes I tried to learn about him. One thing that stuck in my mind is that he cannot shot the ball.

I do know something about the Spurs, with players like parker, Manu, and Duncan they always want good shooters at the other two positions.

So putting this together I don't see Leonard playing much next season

Justin Tyme
07-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Folks-let go of Jerryd Bayless and Kawhi Leonard. For our and, more importantly, your sake.

This is a forum to express ideas not be told to remain "quiet/drop it", b/c you don't like reading someone else's views/opinions. There are many views expressed on this forum I don't agree with, BUT I don't tell others to stop putting forth their opinion. They have a legitimate right to do so, NO MATTER HOW I FEEL ABOUT IT. The same applies to you!

"I don't have to agree with what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it with my life."
I don't remember who in history said it, but it's very apropos.

Personally, I feel the Bayless trade can't have a definative answer until 5 years has passed. As far as Kawhi Leonard, it was never about him to me, but it was about WHO could have been drafted that will be better than George Hill. AND there will be players that were available in the draft that will be better than George Hill. Bird wanted Hill, but then Bird had to have Peja too. Let's hope Hill works out better than Peja, b/c Bird can ill afford another Peja trade result.

Reginald
07-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Kawhi Leonard instantly solves the Spurs' Richard Jefferson problems

To review, this guy has declared a 2-year player from San Diego State who shot 44% from the field and 29% from behind the arc against a Mountain West schedule to be the instant solution to Richard Jefferson.

There's a reason he's a blogger and not a journalist.

LetsTalkPacers
07-07-2011, 11:02 AM
No one here even wanted leonard.

Really?
07-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Last thing I will write about Leonard for the summer... I have seen worst shots... he actually worked on his shot a lot over the summer and it has gotten better from the footage that I have seen.

He is a slasher at the 3 anyways.. look at Demar Derozen... coming out his shot was very similar... but he gets points. when he needs them and can hit open shots.

People get so stuck in this offensive mindset that they forget about defense and basketball IQ way too often... He was definitely a top 5 defensive player in this draft, top 3 depending on how you rank Jonas, Faried, and Singleton.

Dude is a player, and plays with a ton of heart.

The trade was good for both teams, and I agree that he wouldn't have made this list if he played for us just due to the way that we play, but for the Spurs this is a very good pick.

maragin
07-07-2011, 01:27 PM
No one here even wanted leonard.

TBird had him as #3 on his big board after Irving and Williams. I'd dig seeing a post/ article by him breaking down his thoughts on the trade and how we can best use George Hill.

Swish
07-07-2011, 01:28 PM
"I don't have to agree with what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it with my life."
I don't remember who in history said it, but it's very apropos.

Usually attributed to Voltaire, it was actually written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall. But it doesn't really fit this situation.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Usually attributed to Voltaire, it was actually written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall. But it doesn't really fit this situation.

I can never remember Voltaire's name. I've never heard of Evelyn Beatrice Hall, so I have no idea who she is. Writer or poet?

CableKC
07-07-2011, 05:26 PM
I don't care what Kawhi could have done the second he stepped onto the floor......he couldn't have contributed with PG and Granger on the lineup...much less on the level that GH could contribute.

As far as I am concerned; the Pacers drafted a very solid Combo Guard that is capable of coming in, playing and contributing for 24mpg the second he steps onto the floor in a Pacer Uniform....end of story.

CableKC
07-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Kawhi Leonard instantly solves the Spurs' Richard Jefferson problems

To review, this guy has declared a 2-year player from San Diego State who shot 44% from the field and 29% from behind the arc against a Mountain West schedule to be the instant solution to Richard Jefferson.

There's a reason he's a blogger and not a journalist.
Yeah.....no kidding. The only way that Kawhi Leonard can instantly solve the Spurs RJeff Problems is if he can magically make his $30+ mil guaranteed contract disappear.

But I'm guessing the Amnesty clause that will eventually be part of the CBA will take care of that.

will567
07-07-2011, 05:37 PM
At least Kawhi would be here for at least 2 to 4 years as an asset when Hill has a very, very good chance of never playing for the pacers given the lock out. I have no idea why we made this trade on a guy in the last year of his contract given the spector that lumed over the NBA.

beast23
07-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Ahh everybody . . . even the pros get it wrong.

However, there's some on here that I don't think they ever admit a mistake. At least you admit when you are wrong.

Why I have even got it wong.

:D

Maybe so... but you cwazy wabbit, you get it wight a lot more than you get it wong.

CableKC
07-07-2011, 05:47 PM
At least Kawhi would be here for at least 2 to 4 years as an asset when Hill has a very, very good chance of never playing for the pacers given the lock out. I have no idea why we made this trade on a guy in the last year of his contract given the spector that lumed over the NBA.
GH is a RFA....it's not likely that the Pacers would simply let him go unless some Team significantly overpays him.

LetsTalkPacers
07-07-2011, 05:52 PM
TBird had him as #3 on his big board after Irving and Williams. I'd dig seeing a post/ article by him breaking down his thoughts on the trade and how we can best use George Hill.
What I meant was no one here was complaining we didnt keep him. In fact it almost sounds unanimous that we are happier with GHill.

Swish
07-07-2011, 05:58 PM
I can never remember Voltaire's name. I've never heard of Evelyn Beatrice Hall, so I have no idea who she is. Writer or poet?

Writer. Pen name "S.G. Tallentyre". She wrote a biography of Voltaire which contained the quote, which is probably why it's misattributed to Voltaire since nobody has ever heard of her. :)

kielbeze
07-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Spurs bias.
I do think he'll be good, but he won't make a huge impact right away till he develops a shot a la Bowen.
I agree in todays NBA there arent alot of big impact players who can't score.
BTW? Where did you get that picture of BillS for your avitar?

will567
07-07-2011, 06:58 PM
GH is a RFA....it's not likely that the Pacers would simply let him go unless some Team significantly overpays him.

If that is still the rule! All that could change and that is why I am down on this because nobody has a clue what the new rules will be so why take a risk.

maragin
07-07-2011, 07:07 PM
What I meant was no one here was complaining we didnt keep him. In fact it almost sounds unanimous that we are happier with GHill.

Negative opinions from the "Do you like the pick and trade" thread:

diamonddave00 (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1256795&postcount=2)
Dr. Awesome (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1256807&postcount=12)
1984 (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1256819&postcount=24)
bphil (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1256821&postcount=26)
PacersFreak31 (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1256822&postcount=27)
Chuck Chillout (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1256824&postcount=29)
imawhat (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1256860&postcount=52)
indypacer (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1256913&postcount=88)
isaac (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1257153&postcount=249)
able (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1257284&postcount=301)
croz24 (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1257292&postcount=306)
sparhawk (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1257305&postcount=310)
Justin Tyme (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1257414&postcount=338)

Edit: Not saying you're specifically wrong, but there have been a wide variety of opinions expressed in the trade thread and since the draft. I will agree that the sentiment is mostly positive with quite a few "wait and see" folk.

Trophy
07-07-2011, 09:25 PM
I definitely don't think he's going to lead a franchise, but he's going to be a nice rotation guy and someday take over the starting SF spot from Richard Jefferson.

I didn't think much of Leonard other than just being a nice guy in your rotation.

I guess being a top franchise for years like the Spurs and knowing how to put together a good group, they're giving him a ton of credit, but for Leonard, I'm not seeing too much out him other than a decent rotation guy/average starter.

Hicks
07-07-2011, 09:46 PM
I was excited we got Leonard, and I was also excited when we traded him for George Hill. I wasn't going to be upset either way.

I agree with the sentiment already expressed that he wouldn't be getting this hype from anyone out there if he was still a Pacer, but so what.

CableKC
07-07-2011, 10:22 PM
If that is still the rule! All that could change and that is why I am down on this because nobody has a clue what the new rules will be so why take a risk.
Why take the risk?

Although ANYTHING could change in the new CBA......I don't anticipate that this particular aspect of the CBA rules could change. Even if it did....the risk to me is acceptable if not minimal.....I really think that GH is going to be a much better fit in the PG/SG rotation then adding Leonard.

The only reason why I would have kept Leonard and not do the GH trade would be if there was an intention to trade Granger for someone like Al Jefferson, Josh Smith or some other Granger-level Player.

Either way, I am okay with both where GH fits a clear need while the other does give us more options to re-build the Team while filling another need....but would favor the GH move as I think that it fits the premise that Bird wants to move forward instead of making a lateral move ( which I believe taking Leonard would have done since it would likely necessitate a need to move Granger ).