PDA

View Full Version : Cross Beasley Off Your List

Larry Staverman
07-06-2011, 04:00 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214606/Beasley_Cited_For_Marijuana_Possession

Unless your looking to smoke some weed!

ndcoltsnpacers
07-06-2011, 04:01 PM
He was never on my list, we're all good.

pacer4ever
07-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Twolves 1-0

vnzla81
07-06-2011, 04:03 PM
He is maybe smoking as much as he can during the lockout, how dumb can somebody be? :shakehead

pacer4ever
07-06-2011, 04:06 PM
He is maybe smoking as much as he can during the lockout, how dumb can somebody be? :shakehead

it really isn't that big of deal.

Gamble1
07-06-2011, 04:11 PM
it really isn't that big of deal.
IT is when he will miss games for it. How many strikes can a person have before they get suspended a lot of games.

Peck
07-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Yet there were a few people willing to accept Beasley as the lynchpin of a trade for Granger.

We'll see Larry Bird busted for possesion before that ever happens.

Sandman21
07-06-2011, 04:21 PM
IT is when he will miss games for it. How many strikes can a person have before they get suspended a lot of games.

I don't think Beasley can get suspended because it was during the offseason. IIRC, Rush got suspended because he failed three IN-SEASON tests.

Infinite MAN_force
07-06-2011, 04:22 PM
He was never on my list, we're all good.

This.

spreedom
07-06-2011, 04:24 PM
I think the fact that A.) we're in a lockout and B.) he was cited for possession and not for failing an NBA drug test, means that this will all go away lickity split.

And FWIW I have no problem with players smoking pot as long as they don't do it right before games and aren't failing drug tests and getting suspended for it. If you're Brandon Rush and you do both of those things in addition to sucking when you're on the floor, that's when it gets to be too much for me.

Since86
07-06-2011, 04:25 PM
I don't think Beasley can get suspended because it was during the offseason. IIRC, Rush got suspended because he failed three IN-SEASON tests.

No, he can be punished.

C. Marijuana

If a player tests positive for marijuana for the first time during Reasonable Cause Testing, First-Year Testing, or Veteran Testing, or he is convicted of, or pleads guilty, nolo contendre or no contest to, the use or possession of marijuana in violation of the law, he will be required to enter the program. A second such violation will result in a $15,000 fine and the player's re-entry into the program. A third (or any subsequent) such violation will result in a five-game suspension and the player's re-entry into the program.

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/sports/drugs/policy/basketball/index.html

I think testing only is only administered during training camp and the season though.

EDIT: All players are tested once during the preseason. Rooks are tested 3 random times during the season. Vets aren't tested unless they fail. If they fail, they are tested again during the season.
http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v01.n419.a05.html

EDIT2: This should be Beasley's second time into the program, or more depending on if he failed tests that we weren't made aware of. The first being when he got busted during the rookie welcome week, or whatever it's called.

ballism
07-06-2011, 04:28 PM
At least he can blame it on the lockout pressure. See Stern, it's all your fault.

ballism
07-06-2011, 04:34 PM
No, he can be punished.

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/sports/drugs/policy/basketball/index.html

Interesting, so all he had to do was get high in Amsterdam or a similar place, and NBA can't touch him.

An underrated part of the story - what is Beasley still doing in Minnesota 2 months after their season? Short stop, or does he genuinely enjoy living there as he kept saying all year long? Got to say, I like a lot about his personality.

Since86
07-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Interesting, so all he had to do was get high in Amsterdam or a similar place, and NBA can't touch him.

If he fails a drug test, it doesn't matter if he smoked it in Amsterdam or Anderson, IN.

He just wouldn't have to worry about getting in trouble with the law in Amsterdam.

pacer4ever
Yet there were a few people willing to accept Beasley as the lynchpin of a trade for Granger.

We'll see Larry Bird busted for possesion before that ever happens.

well Bird does resemble Vito Corleone in a few ways! I mean Bird is a boss

Gamble1

An underrated part of the story - what is Beasley still doing in Minnesota 2 months after their season? Short stop, or does he genuinely enjoy living there as he kept saying all year long? Got to say, I like a lot about his personality.
A man has to stay close to his farm.

ballism
07-06-2011, 04:47 PM
If he fails a drug test, it doesn't matter if he smoked it in Amsterdam or Anderson, IN.

He just wouldn't have to worry about getting in trouble with the law in Amsterdam.

Yes I understand. Although he can't get tested now anyway. Honestly, if I was a 22 y.o. millionaire who likes weed, I'd be travelling around Holland right now.

LetsTalkPacers
07-06-2011, 04:50 PM

Well I don't know about you, but when i get high. I don't like to get off the couch, let alone travel to another state or country.

Slick Pinkham
07-06-2011, 04:55 PM
No, he can be punished.

read your link: these punishments are specified in the Anti-Drug Program contained in the 1999 NBA/NBPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.

that has expired

there is no CBA

there is no anti-drug program

Sure, the next CBA may retroactively cover the summer of 2011, but it may not.

Reginald
07-06-2011, 04:57 PM
We bring the hammer down on people for something as harmless as marijuana possession, and yet the law still allows senior citizens to do 48 mph in the left lane on the interstate without recriminations.

RLeWorm
07-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Beasley just dont know how to hide it. yea i remember josh howard going on a radio show saying he smoked weed in the summer. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Everyone loves it

bambam
07-06-2011, 05:05 PM

I am in Anderson, I will let you know if he rolls one here. Sure he would be looking for the Kush.

pacer4ever
07-06-2011, 05:09 PM
I am in Anderson, I will let you know if he rolls one here. Sure he would be looking for the Kush.

i pictured him more of a Shawg or Northern Lights type of guy myself :laugh:

spazzxb
07-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Yes I understand. Although he can't get tested now anyway. Honestly, if I was a 22 y.o. millionaire who likes weed, I'd be travelling around Holland right now.

He could move to California or even Michigan and get a prescription.

Gamble1
07-06-2011, 05:23 PM
He could move to California or even Michigan and get a prescription.
I have a sister in law who manages a weed store. He can get a prescription and grow it in Caly if he wants.

Psyren
07-06-2011, 05:26 PM
What? An NBA player smoking weed?

Not possible. Somebody check the source.

Really people. It's not that big of a deal. And we all knew Beasley was a pot smoker long before now. This shouldn't come as some big surprise.

spazzxb
07-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Since we are talking about this. This was just in the news the other day.

Indiana lawmakers to study legalizing marijuana
http://www.wthr.com/story/15022459/indiana-lawmakers-to-study-legalizing-marijuana

If we legalize it maybe we will be attractive for big free agents. (mostly joking)

CableKC
07-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Technically, he's locked out by the NBA...so he could do whatever the heck he wants.

I honestly don't care....if he wants to do that during his spare time....go ahead....he's not on my Team.

Sookie
07-06-2011, 05:55 PM
He's not on my list. And the fact that he's a stoner isn't even in my top ten reasons of why I don't want him.

spreedom
07-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Since we are talking about this. This was just in the news the other day.

http://www.wthr.com/story/15022459/indiana-lawmakers-to-study-legalizing-marijuana

If we legalize it maybe we will be attractive for big free agents. (mostly joking)

Though I realize you are joking, I just wanted to point out that the NBA still has the right to ban it any substance... similar to how Rashard Lewis and OJ Mayo got suspended for a legal, over-the-counter supplement that they took.

trailrunner
07-06-2011, 05:56 PM
We bring the hammer down on people for something as harmless as marijuana possession, and yet the law still allows senior citizens to do 48 mph in the left lane on the interstate without recriminations.

They are driving slowly because they are passing the bong. There should be a special lane for weed.

Hoop
07-06-2011, 06:01 PM
I have a sister in law who manages a weed store. He can get a prescription and grow it in Caly if he wants.
Is she happily married? Send pix of the store. :D

Kemo
07-06-2011, 06:05 PM

This may be a stupid question, but how can he be disciplined if there is a lockout going on and he isnt being paid for time missed due to the lockout?

I dont see how the nba can do squat .. to be honest...

MillerTime
07-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Is it really that big of a deal?

Over 16 seasons in the NBA Charles Oakley thought he had seen it all. But now, he believes the NBA has gone to pot.

The Toronto Raptors forward told the New York Post that many young forwards have lost respect for the game and said that more than half the players in the league smoke marijuana.

"You got guys out there playing high every night," Oakley told the New York Post prior to Toronto's 113-11 loss to the New Jersey Nets.

When Oakley began his NBA career in Chicago in 1985, he said that about one out of six used the drug. That number has dramatically increased over the years.

"You got 60 percent of your league on marijuana," Oakley said, a sense of disgust in his voice. "What can you do?

"In the old days Michael Jordan and Larry Bird worked for everything they got," Oakley said. "They worked hard on their game. You've got young guys now, they don't work on their game like that.

"Everybody rolls the red carpet out, and here they come running down it in a Bentley or Rolls Royce as if it's their time, but it's not like that."

The 37-year-old forward also criticized the NBA's drug program, which he called a joke.

According to the drug program, rookies are tested three times while veterans are tested only once a year.

"You test a guy, he gets high the next day," Oakley said. "There's no respect for the game no more."

Oakley's comments on Wednesday drew a reaction from NBA commissioner David Stern, who is concerned about the league's image.

"If Charles has any facts to back up these very serious allegations, he should turn them over to the league as well as to Billy Hunter and the executive council of the union."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/02/22/smoking010222.html

pacer4ever
07-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Is it really that big of a deal?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/02/22/smoking010222.html

no doubt 60% sounds about right to me. Very true kids are lazy theses days if a guy like Beasley was as hard of worker as Jordan or Bird he would be a 25-30ppg scorer. Guys like Drose and Durant give me hope.

The Big Smooth
07-06-2011, 06:19 PM
no doubt 60% sounds about right to me. Very true kids are lazy theses days if a guy like Beasley was as hard of worker as Jordan or Bird he would be a 25-30ppg scorer. Guys like Drose and Durant give me hope.

I know this may not mean much, but my neighbor claims he used to smoke with DRose 3-4 times a week growing up in Chicago. He is still friends with him, so I have no reason to doubt him.

joeco
07-06-2011, 06:20 PM
when it comes to the weed part, in all honesty consuming it is the most harmless bad thing to do in the world. but thats another discussion.

Truth about this for Beasley is his stock just took another hit and he'll become cheaper. Some contender will land his services for .10c on the dollar and he'll contribute off the bench most likely trying to redeem his name and get another payday. That seems to be the NBA's way of kicking small market teams in the rear. He's still young and one awesome talent but is one of the dumbest players in the league in terms of life skills.

pacer4ever
07-06-2011, 06:23 PM
I know this may not mean much, but my neighbor claims he used to smoke with DRose 3-4 times a week growing up in Chicago. He is still friends with him, so I have no reason to doubt him.

i don't doubt that either i mean tons of people do it recreation-ally and in his neighborhood he probably got it free. I don't have a problem with that i mean weed is nothing. As long as you don't do it every day and a lot every day. But Durant and Westbrook work hard at there craft.

pacer4ever
07-06-2011, 06:26 PM
when it comes to the weed part, in all honesty consuming it is the most harmless bad thing to do in the world. but thats another discussion.

Truth about this for Beasley is his stock just took another hit and he'll become cheaper. Some contender will land his services for .10c on the dollar and he'll contribute off the bench most likely trying to redeem his name and get another payday. That seems to be the NBA's way of kicking small market teams in the rear. He's still young and one awesome talent but is one of the dumbest players in the league in terms of life skills.

Kahn loves the dude he isn't trading him for "cheap" they got him for "cheap". I don't blame him he is a very good scorer i mean he aved 20 ppg last season.

Gamble1
07-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Is she happily married? Send pix of the store. :D
Pretty much divorced but I think she is looking for more than a "van down by the River". ;)

Really?
07-06-2011, 06:32 PM
If he was on my team I wouldn't be mad at the fact that he was in possession of marijuana but the problem is that he keeps getting caught by doing stupid stuff, lol

Gamble1
07-06-2011, 06:37 PM
This may be a stupid question, but how can he be disciplined if there is a lockout going on and he isnt being paid for time missed due to the lockout?

THe owners are in a the driver seat and they can retroactively discipline someone. I mean how is Jarret Jack going to miss a game under the old CBA or for that matter any other guy who got suspended last year under the old CBA that applies for the 2012 season? I think most of these old rules will still apply for 2012.

Side note... That has to be record right.

Toronto's 113-11 loss ]

90'sNBARocked
07-06-2011, 07:07 PM
It seems like you post something on either weed or Lance and your bound to get strong reactions

One good thing we can say though I have yet to ever hear of Lance mentioned in the same sentence as drugs

pacer4ever
07-06-2011, 07:11 PM
It seems like you post something on either weed or Lance and your bound to get strong reactions

One good thing we can say though I have yet to ever hear of Lance mentioned in the same sentence as drugs

I would put 1k that Lance smokes or smoked in the past

90'sNBARocked
07-06-2011, 07:18 PM
I would put 1k that Lance smokes or smoked in the past

Thats very sterotypical : Young dude, from Brooklyn, rough around the edges

In all honesty though IF someone gave me a million dollars to bet, I would bet he has tried it before but does not induldge on even a semi regular basis

Point is though for all the giref he gets, deserved and undeserved, have yet to here anything related to him and drugs

edit: someone is probably reading this thinking " How the **** does Lance get constantly worked into threads that have nothing to do with him"

I am guilty good sir :)

Sookie
07-06-2011, 07:25 PM
I'd one up pacer4ever. I'd be willing to bet 1K that over half the team smokes or has smoked in the past.

Trophy
07-06-2011, 07:53 PM
I know marijuana is illegal and it's bad to break the law, but I wouldn't think differently of someone if they were to smoke it.

I didn't think differently of Rush when he got busted for it.

90'sNBARocked
07-06-2011, 08:34 PM
I'd one up pacer4ever. I'd be willing to bet 1K that over half the team smokes or has smoked in the past.

I would one up that with I bet Pacer4Ever has lit up his damn self

lol, playin baby or not :)

90'sNBARocked
07-06-2011, 08:39 PM
I know marijuana is illegal and it's bad to break the law, but I wouldn't think differently of someone if they were to smoke it.

I didn't think differently of Rush when he got busted for it.

absolutely,

Because liquor kills (dont know exact numebrs) 10,000 x times that of marajuana. But of course its legal

I have nevr in my life heard of someone dying of "marajuana poisioning" or a "marajuana related death"

Cigrettes are PROVEN to cause all types of health related problems and eventually death, yet they are legal

Why? Not because they care about us. Because the tobacco people spendmillions of dollars on lobists to keep it legal

LeeTheG7
07-06-2011, 09:32 PM
I want to say so many things!!!!!!!!! SO MANY THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!! but I will get banned if I do. Lets just say if I find Granger drinking a beer I'm going to post the same thing about how we should trade Granger because beer and liquor are worse. Maybe its because I'm a fan from California (where it is legal) but this topic is ridiculous.

PR07
07-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Not a big deal, but the Pacers would've looked awfully foolish had they considered trading their franchise player for him and he did something like this (which was a rumor).

Scot Pollard
07-06-2011, 10:05 PM
He's crazy.

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nba_experts__70/ept_sports_nba_experts-955673155-1298558888.jpg?ymoOAnEDlDiTOlvL

LeeTheG7
07-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Not a big deal, but the Pacers would've looked awfully foolish had they considered trading their franchise player for him and he did something like this (which was a rumor).

something like what? because I find Granger talking about Turkey people badly says worse on his character. Then something that 50% of USA does and 80% of what California does. Listen I'm not saying trade Granger I'm just saying this is no big deal either way. Actually it isn't a deal at all. I sure you've drank a beer but I don't go around saying "how could he do something like that?"

Wage
07-06-2011, 10:08 PM
This is now the official "Made up statistics" thread. Please carry on.

LeeTheG7
07-06-2011, 10:12 PM
absolutely,

Because liquor kills (dont know exact numebrs) 10,000 x times that of marajuana. But of course its legal

I have nevr in my life heard of someone dying of "marajuana poisioning" or a "marajuana related death"

Cigrettes are PROVEN to cause all types of health related problems and eventually death, yet they are legal

Why? Not because they care about us. Because the tobacco people spendmillions of dollars on lobists to keep it legal

Thats because Marajuana poisioning is impossible. I have tried many times to smoke as much as possible and ended up quiting before getting sick or anything like that. None of my friends have either and I heard many times it is impossible. However when I was in the 8th grade a drank a lot of shots of vodka and ended up in the hospital. UCLA latest studies proves that Marajuana doesn't cause cancer. I don't see what the big deal is maybe its you people are from Indiana or something but weed is like beer where I live. If Granger was rumored drinking a beer would you guys want him traded?

LeeTheG7
07-06-2011, 10:13 PM
This is now the official "Made up statistics" thread. Please carry on.

This thread was ridicolous from the start so don't flame bait me

PR07
07-06-2011, 10:17 PM
something like what? because I find Granger talking about Turkey people badly says worse on his character. Then something that 50% of USA does and 80% of what California does. Listen I'm not saying trade Granger I'm just saying this is no big deal either way. Actually it isn't a deal at all. I sure you've drank a beer but I don't go around saying "how could he do something like that?"

Something like getting a police charge against him, and then we read some indystar or espn.com headline on it. Last time I checked, Granger can't get one for freedom of speech.

LeeTheG7
07-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Something like getting a police charge against him, and then we read some indystar or espn.com headline on it. Last time I checked, Granger can't get one for freedom of speech.

something like that barely happens and if it does its like a speeding ticket. Its not as big of deal as you are making it out to be. You really think an NBA star cares about a speeding ticket. Besides its the lock out anyways I don't see any problem.

Think about it this way. So many NBA players smoke weed in the off season its common sense yet you only hear about a few of them getting caught and if they do like I said before its like a speeding ticket if that.

Wage
07-06-2011, 10:28 PM
This thread was ridicolous from the start so don't flame bait me

Flame Bait? Did I quote you? Seems like someone is feeling paranoid. Wonder what causes that?

LeeTheG7
07-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Flame Bait? Did I quote you? Seems like someone is feeling paranoid. Wonder what causes that?

Um that cartoon on your sig I wonder what kind of people watch that show??? hmmmm. Also you said made up statisics right after I posted. Yeah 80% of Cali. and 50% of USA is a estimate but it could be something like 84% cali 48% USA somewhere around that.

PR07
07-06-2011, 10:41 PM
something like that barely happens and if it does its like a speeding ticket. Its not as big of deal as you are making it out to be. You really think an NBA star cares about a speeding ticket. Besides its the lock out anyways I don't see any problem.

Think about it this way. So many NBA players smoke weed in the off season its common sense yet you only hear about a few of them getting caught and if they do like I said before its like a speeding ticket if that.

Unless you're going 40 over, a speeding ticket doesn't have the same ring of recklessness to it as a drug charge. I'm just speaking about the casual basketball fan. You have to remember that a lot of these people aren't 30 and under, and aren't as open minded as a lot of the younger generation.

LeeTheG7
07-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Unless you're going 40 over, a speeding ticket doesn't have the same ring of recklessness to it as a drug charge. I'm just speaking about the casual basketball fan. You have to remember that a lot of these people aren't 30 and under, and aren't as open minded as a lot of the younger generation.

Oh since your law argument didn't work now you are going back to moral. I think all those 40 year olds need set down their beer and stop being such hypocrites.

a speeding ticket has the same ring to it because its the same fine. If somebody was drinking a beer you wouldn't care so there goes your moral argument.

Not to mention if you go back to moral argument I can use the classless Turkey comment agaisnt Granger.

SMosley21
07-06-2011, 10:45 PM
What list?

RLeWorm
07-06-2011, 10:49 PM
who hasn't tried weed?

Hicks
07-06-2011, 10:50 PM
who hasn't tried weed?

:wave:

LeeTheG7
07-06-2011, 10:54 PM
I've never tried cream soda before

LeeTheG7
07-06-2011, 11:01 PM

you should try it as long as you don't have an addicting personality. Its not like its chemical addicting like cigerettes coke, meth, etc. but its addicting like if you like pizza and always eat pizza because it tastes good. Its basically just mellows people out and is a better relaxer then alcohol. Alcohol is more of a party thing to me but if I'm just trying to chill at my house and relax nothing is better then a bowl. Try it as long as you don't have a addicting personality.

In fact talking to all these people have stressed me out and I'm not doing anything important today so I'm going to toke up I bet when I come back I'm in a better mood.

Sookie
07-06-2011, 11:07 PM

It's overrated.

LeeTheG7
07-06-2011, 11:13 PM
It's overrated.

If you are talking about people that tell you its some crazy drug that makes you hallucinate or something crazy then I agree.

However if you saying you weren't getting very high then I suggest you try going to the dispensaries in California because they have some very good bud.

Isaac
07-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Trying to convince people to smoke weed is weird.

I could care less about Beasley smoking weed, but he is obviously someone who cares more about the lifestyle of the NBA than working hard to get better. Dale Davis smoked lots of buddah and managed to still work hard. Beasley has enough talent to be way better than he is, but doesn't work hard.

LeeTheG7
07-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Trying to convince people to smoke weed is weird.

I could care less about Beasley smoking weed, but he is obviously someone who cares more about the lifestyle of the NBA than working hard to get better. Dale Davis smoked lots of buddah and managed to still work hard. Beasley has enough talent to be way better than he is, but doesn't work hard.

I agree with you the reason's I wouldn't like Beasley on Indiana has more to do with other things then just his weed smoking. I agree about work ethic plenty of NBA players chief weed and are hard workers I don't think Beasley works all that hard. I would prefer a Dale Davis work horse hopefully we can pick someone up like him

Hicks
07-06-2011, 11:28 PM
The only reason Beasley's weed episodes factor into me not wanting him (and it's certainly not the only reason, for that matter), is because the NBA bans this substance, he clearly doesn't seem to be giving it up any time soon, and that will cause him to miss games, repeatedly, and more of them, as this goes along. I don't want to have to do deal with that as it relates to the Indiana Pacers. It's not good for the team, and it's somewhat embarrassing with regards to a lack of self-discipline.

LeeTheG7
07-06-2011, 11:31 PM
The only reason Beasley's weed episodes factor into me not wanting him (and it's certainly not the only reason, for that matter), is because the NBA bans this substance, he clearly doesn't seem to be giving it up any time soon, and that will cause him to miss games, repeatedly, and more of them, as this goes along. I don't want to have to do deal with that as it relates to the Indiana Pacers. It's not good for the team, and it's somewhat embarrassing with regards to a lack of self-discipline.

Yes but Beasley is one of the few idiots that got caught. I'm sure there are guys on Indiana that chief but are smart enough to stay in their mansions and not tell anyone.

jeffg-body
07-06-2011, 11:33 PM
I never had Beasley on my list anyway, the fact that likes the reefer drew me away. On an interesting side note, I saw a new doctor for pain management at the VA hospital and he encouraged me to try the reefer in combination with traditional pain meds. My wife nearly spit coke out through her nose when he said that. I respectfully declined that at this time. It was worth it to see the wife nearly implode.

Constellations
07-06-2011, 11:40 PM
He never existed on my list.

Isaac
07-07-2011, 12:27 AM
I never had Beasley on my list anyway, the fact that likes the reefer drew me away. On an interesting side note, I saw a new doctor for pain management at the VA hospital and he encouraged me to try the reefer in combination with traditional pain meds. My wife nearly spit coke out through her nose when he said that. I respectfully declined that at this time. It was worth it to see the wife nearly implode.

Your wife should try some weed if she's snorting enough coke to spit it our her nose. ;)

PR07
07-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Oh since your law argument didn't work now you are going back to moral. I think all those 40 year olds need set down their beer and stop being such hypocrites.

a speeding ticket has the same ring to it because its the same fine. If somebody was drinking a beer you wouldn't care so there goes your moral argument.

Not to mention if you go back to moral argument I can use the classless Turkey comment agaisnt Granger.

Since my law argument didn't work? Last time I checked junior, marijuana was illegal in most states except for a certain few for medication. The fact that it's illegal leads to bad headlines, which the casual basketball fan will read and go, "Oh boy, Pacers causing trouble again". It's really not that hard of a concept to understand. They go hand-in-hand.

Your speeding argument isn't true either about having the same ring. Would you rather have the Pacers labeled a team full of speeders or druggies? I can tell you which one I'd pick twice on Sundays and 24/7. They don't have anywhere close to the same connotation to the general public. I dare say, thank you and come again.

AesopRockOn
07-07-2011, 03:30 AM
Um that cartoon on your sig I wonder what kind of people watch that show??? hmmmm. Also you said made up statisics right after I posted. Yeah 80% of Cali. and 50% of USA is a estimate but it could be something like 84% cali 48% USA somewhere around that.

Actually I think McGuirk is anti-drugs.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5n9qb5-Ftrc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mattie
07-07-2011, 03:43 AM

He's honestly a good dude. As someone who is against acquiring Beasley in any form, I'd like to make it clear that I like the guy.

I also think he has a lot of issues though. I mean, all I'd argue against him coming here is I don't think he'd be a strong improvement that could ever help us win. But him as a person? He's never struck me as anyone other than "good people" who's trying to handle his own demons. And for the record, MJ is not demons, I think the guy has demons that have nothing to do with the completely harmless drug that is MJ.

mattie
07-07-2011, 03:48 AM
I'm just adding on to my thought- but Seriously, we all know people, not just NBA players, smoke weed. For the vast majority of smokers it doesn't effect their lifestyle, whether you're one of the hardcore Hannity conservatives or not. It's just not a big deal. The thing with guys like Rush and Beasley is they just aren't that motivated to become strong NBA players A. (Rush) and B. (Beasley) they've got some issues that they haven't worked out yet. I have a lot of compassion for Beasley. I have personal emotional issues myself, so I don't blame the guy because he has to deal with them. I do know that I don't think at least in the immediate future become a strong positive influence on a winning team. And I truly believe that has nothing to do with MJ.

Since86
07-07-2011, 09:27 AM
read your link: these punishments are specified in the Anti-Drug Program contained in the 1999 NBA/NBPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.

that has expired

there is no CBA

there is no anti-drug program

Sure, the next CBA may retroactively cover the summer of 2011, but it may not.

I realize that, but he's still going to be punished. It's not like the NBA is just going to turn their back to the players and tell them they're free to do whatever they want, with no consequences.

And I doubt the drug policy changes much, if any, so he'll be subjected to the same punishment under the old CBA.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Really people. It's not that big of a deal.

Oh really! The last time I checked it was against the law, or his smoking weed wouldn't be an issue. So it is a big deal. When you and others get the law changed, then it won't be a big deal, but until that happens it is still against the law. That's the bottom line.

Speed
07-07-2011, 10:25 AM
And so we begin the mandatory off-season pot discussion...

naptownmenace
07-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Pretty much divorced but I think she is looking for more than a "van down by the River". ;)

So she's more of a "Winnebago by the sea" type of gal?

http://www.rvsearch.com/images/customers/144483/0_manf_images/Winnebago_Vectra.jpg

Not that it matters to me. I'm happily married and I've never smoked... never will.

I think smoking weed is one of the dumbest popular wastes of time and money things that people do. It's right behind getting drunk (especially when driving is involved), smoking cigarettes, and cluttering your body with tatoos.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2011, 11:46 AM
You have to remember that a lot of these people aren't 30 and under, and aren't as open minded as a lot of the younger generation.

Hammer meet nail.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2011, 11:52 AM
who hasn't tried weed?

You rang!

I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs either. Can you say the same?

Justin Tyme
07-07-2011, 11:54 AM
I've never tried cream soda before

I have some in the refrig. It's great, and it's legal.

DaveP63
07-07-2011, 12:03 PM

Ditto.

Larry Staverman
07-07-2011, 12:25 PM
I realize that, but he's still going to be punished. It's not like the NBA is just going to turn their back to the players and tell them they're free to do whatever they want, with no consequences.

And I doubt the drug policy changes much, if any, so he'll be subjected to the same punishment under the old CBA.

Apparently not!

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214619/Beasley_Will_Avoid_Suspension_For_Marijuana_Posses sion_Due_To_Lockout

Could someone forward this to Brandon Rush?

Since86
07-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Apparently not!

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214619/Beasley_Will_Avoid_Suspension_For_Marijuana_Posses sion_Due_To_Lockout

Could someone forward this to Brandon Rush?

Is it me or does the NBA just get dumber and dumber?

Pot isn't a banned substance because it's a performance enhancer, it's a banned substance because it's illegal and a PR problem.

Right now they just told the entire NBA that they can do whatever the hell they want, and not have to worry about any reprocussions from the league.

Go out and commit felony assault? Sure, you'll just miss the games that you're in jail for an no more!

How stupid.

Really?
07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
THe owners are in a the driver seat and they can retroactively discipline someone. I mean how is Jarret Jack going to miss a game under the old CBA or for that matter any other guy who got suspended last year under the old CBA that applies for the 2012 season? I think most of these old rules will still apply for 2012.

Side note... That has to be record right.

The reason is because the event happened while the CBA agreement was still active, it didn't expire until the 30th which is why the rule for the suspension still applies

Sookie
07-07-2011, 12:58 PM
If you are talking about people that tell you its some crazy drug that makes you hallucinate or something crazy then I agree.

However if you saying you weren't getting very high then I suggest you try going to the dispensaries in California because they have some very good bud.

I'm not saying either. I'm saying getting high isn't that great. I've been paranoid, super hungry, and pretty much a vegetable. None of which was that wonderful.

Pot is apparently, great for some people. Not so much for others.

Since86
07-07-2011, 01:08 PM
The reason is because the event happened while the CBA agreement was still active, it didn't expire until the 30th which is why the rule for the suspension still applies

But they're still employed by the NBA. Once the new CBA kicks in, it should be retro-active, It really should start July 1, instead of whatever date the CBA is signed.

Players are still getting paid, and will continue to get paid until Nov. If everything gets shut down, then so should paychecks.

Really?
07-07-2011, 01:35 PM
But they're still employed by the NBA. Once the new CBA kicks in, it should be retro-active, It really should start July 1, instead of whatever date the CBA is signed.

Players are still getting paid, and will continue to get paid until Nov. If everything gets shut down, then so should paychecks.

Retro active yes, but that is only after the current agreement is over, which is from june 30th until the new CBA is signed, just like insurance for example.

Since86
07-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Retro active yes, but that is only after the current agreement is over, which is from june 30th until the new CBA is signed, just like insurance for example.

Retro-active, meaning that when it's signed it takes effect July 1 rather than the signing date.

It woudn't be retro-active if it only kicks in on the day it's signed, doesn't cover the time period from July 1st to whenever.

Lurkster
07-07-2011, 02:24 PM
So she's more of a "Winnebago by the sea" type of gal?

http://www.rvsearch.com/images/customers/144483/0_manf_images/Winnebago_Vectra.jpg

Not that it matters to me. I'm happily married and I've never smoked... never will.

I think smoking weed is one of the dumbest popular wastes of time and money things that people do. It's right behind getting drunk (especially when driving is involved), smoking cigarettes, and cluttering your body with tatoos.

says the guy with the colt 45 avatar

since you think weed and tatts are one of the dumbest popular wastes of time and money...I was wondering if you could tell me a couple of your interests that i've never tried and know virtually nothing about..it would only be fair that i make some value based inflammatory criticisms of them as well

i don't think anyone should be surprised by the pot discussion. responsible adults who have chosen to partake regularly are often upset that cannabis is vilified--and you won't find too many people associated with marijuana laws who think the harsh treatment of casual users is justified (cops/judges).

Many people use legal substances that are more harmful, or even more dangerous to others than cannabis--nicotine, alcohol, prescription drugs, even caffeine. If your values or beliefs dictate abstaining from marijuana, more power to you. But people can be productive, hard workers, and still smoke marijuana. Intelligent and responsible people toke too.

When people are in the public eye, and they represent a city or franchise, they should be more responsible. They shouldn't smoke before driving or work...and they should put in the effort to avoid bringing embarrassment on the city or organization. I think we can all agree Beasley went about things the wrong way and should be more responsible.

However, some acknowledgment should be made...it's the law that is more at fault than him. Whether you love or hate Mary Jane, I don't think a reasonable argument can be made that it should remain illegal while adults are given the freedom to choose how they use tobacco and alcohol. For those without an interest or taste for marijuana, sure they're fine with the laws..it works for them personally...but the state of the law isn't logical, nationally.

Nobody knows the "real" numbers...but there are tons of pot smokers in this country, legal and illegal. What gets users inflamed is the "holier than thou" attitude of a general public who labels them "drug users." To me, the word "drug user" pretty much means "human being"--but it still has a very bad connotation. Not even drunk drivers are usually labeled as "drug users." My neighbor who abuses Xanax, Klonnopin, pain meds, etc will never fail a drug test, because he's prescribed. He's not ever going to be vilified merely for possessing those pills...but he's much closer to the stereotypical "drug user" putting himself and others at risk than me, a responsible LEGAL weed smoker.

I think it's fair to question Beasley's head here, but stories like this always push some blame back on the "evil substance." When Pat McAffee was swimming around in the Broad Ripple canal, I didn't hear anyone blaming booze. Charles Oakley didn't come out and rip alcohol consumption. Sure McAffee was drunk...but it was HIS fault...not a substance, a person. That's fair.

When you attack the substance, or put a label on Beasley specifically because of his connection to cannabis you disrespect all the people who are able to use it productively, medically, or even recreationally in a responsible manner. It will upset people. Every.time.

Those of you who kept the discussion professional, and made criticisms within the sports/publicity realm, that's a legitimate and fair critique...and even the biggest pot advocate should agree with you. Employers can legally test for anything and punish you accordingly. Responsible adults take care of their business, and put added care into things like Mary Jane that is somewhat of a legal gray area (whether its treatment is justified or not).

Beasley has a lot at stake here and he still doesn't seem to be able to take the seemingly easy steps one would need to take to prevent such a story from getting out (either don't smoke or be smart!) For that reason, I agree that he should be crossed off our FO's list. (I also agree that he was never on my personal list)

P.S. None of us...people who post their opinions on internet message boards...should be able to point to the activities that other people like as a "waste of time"...at least with a straight face

Peck
07-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Ok, I think the thread is about done.

No more pontificating about the use of Marijuana (either pro or con).

If you need to discuss it in context of Beasely fine but this needs to go back to being about the NBA.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Players are still getting paid, and will continue to get paid until Nov.

Are you sure? I was under the impression NBA players got paid mid Nov thru mid April which would coincide with the length of the reg season. If that is correct, then players aren't currently being paid.

Since86
07-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Positive.

In reality, we all know that this labor battle doesn’t officially start until around Nov. 15.

That’s when players will miss their first regular-season paychecks.

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/other_nba/view/20110703nba_lockout_doesnt_begin_until_players_mis s_paychecks/srvc=home&position=recent

spreedom
07-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Positive.

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/other_nba/view/20110703nba_lockout_doesnt_begin_until_players_mis s_paychecks/srvc=home&position=recent

They aren't getting paid right now. Player salaries are always paid in full by the end of the regular season, which was two months ago. Players will start "missing paychecks" in November because it's the first standard pay period for those who get their paychecks every two weeks.

And an FYI on Beasley: a league official confirmed today that he cannot be fined due to the fact that there is no current CBA:

An NBA spokesman confirmed Wednesday to the Sun Sentinel what logic would have dictated anyway: In the void of an NBA collective-bargaining agreement, there is no substance-abuse policy currently in place. None. “The anti-drug agreement — including testing and penalties — is not in effect during the lockout,” league spokesman Tim Frank said in an email.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_basketball_heat/2011/07/nba-smoke-em-if-you-got-em.html

Justin Tyme
07-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Positive.

Hm? I read "somewhere" players got or would be paid Nov 15-April 17. I even wrote the dates down for reference. I wish I had written down where I got the apparent wrong info from now.

I must admit the dates of Nov 15- April 17 made sense at the time I read it. Oh well, at least I got half, Nov 15, correct. ;)

Since86
07-07-2011, 04:49 PM
I think we've talked about this a couple of different times. I believe there are a couple of different ways players get paid. They can get checks spread out over the duration of the entire year, the season, or they can get paid, I think, like twice a year.

I'll try to find something on it.

EDIT: Bi-weekly, april-november.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2011, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=spreedom;1264097]

They aren't getting paid right now. Player salaries are always paid in full by the end of the regular season, which was two months ago. Players will start "missing paychecks" in November because it's the first standard pay period for those who get their paychecks every two weeks. /QUOTE]

Thanks! I DID read it correctly afterall.

naptownmenace
07-07-2011, 05:01 PM
says the guy with the colt 45 avatar

since you think weed and tatts are one of the dumbest popular wastes of time and money...I was wondering if you could tell me a couple of your interests that I've never tried and know virtually nothing about..it would only be fair that i make some value based inflammatory criticisms of them as well

I chose the avatar because like Colt45, I'm Billy Dee Williams approved. ;)

Seriously, I've never had Colt45. I am a big Billy Dee fan though and my nickname in High School was Lil' Billy Dee.

I didn't read any more of what you posted than what I quoted above. It's my opinion. You don't have to like it but I've done enough investigative research to feel confident in my conclusions.

croz24
07-07-2011, 06:12 PM
what ever happened to our personal liberties? it's not exactly freedom when the government tells us what we can and can not do with our own bodies if our actions are doing no harm to another individual...

Peck
07-07-2011, 06:49 PM
And with that we're done.