PDA

View Full Version : I was fan of...

ensergio
07-05-2011, 04:10 PM
I've said it before: i am from Colombia. I learn to love basketball with videos and videogames in the beginning of the nineties, because we didn`t have nba games in the TV.

Specifically, i LOVE Chris Mullin in NBA Live 94 for SNES. I was fan of Mullin, his shooting and his game IQ, and when he came to the Pacers i become a Pacer's fan (then i loved D.Davis, M. Jackson and of course Reggie)

Anyway, my question is, besides Pacer's players, what player made you love basketball?

Kstat
07-05-2011, 04:13 PM
NBA Live 94 was technically called "NBA showdown 94," and it came out on the SNES.

EA's NBA title next year was called "NBA live '95," and the name was so catchy they decided to stick with it.

Aside from the fact there was no Jordan, Barkley or Shaq in the game, it was a pretty good one.

To answer your question, my first favorite player, and the only poster I had on my wall as a kid, was Clyde Drexler. In retrospect, my favorite thing about him was probably that his name wasn't Michael Jordan.

BRushWithDeath
07-05-2011, 04:21 PM
EA's NBA title next year was called "NBA live '95," and the name was so catchy they decided to stick with it.

Aside from the fact there was no Jordan, Barkley or Shaq in the game, it was a pretty good one.

Played the hell out of that on SNES.

I remember Latrell Sprewell being slightly better than Jesus in that game.

Kstat
07-05-2011, 04:24 PM

Pretty prophetic, since he was the all-NBA 1st team shooting guard that year. He never came closer to that level ever again.

MnvrChvy
07-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Drexler and Dominique Wilkins. They were the first good basketball cards I had and I guess I just followed everything they did after that. Then I got swept up in the whole Dream Team thing.

Sookie
07-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Sue Bird 2001. I was always more into "girly" sports like gymnastics, sat down and watched a Uconn Women's game with my grandparents and father. I actually think I originally started liking her because my father wasn't crazy about her. :D He preferred Taurasi.

Manu Ginobili got me into men's basketball though. (I watched the Uconn Men before, liked it because it was basketball, but didn't really care that much. I actually wish I had, I probably would have enjoyed the dual championships more.)

ensergio
07-05-2011, 04:33 PM
NBA Live 94 was technically called "NBA showdown 94," and it came out on the SNES.

To answer your question, my first favorite player, and the only poster I had on my wall as a kid, was Clyde Drexler. In retrospect, my favorite thing about him was probably that his name wasn't Michael Jordan.

Thanks for the correction. You're right, it was SNES. However, i remember it as NBA Live. Sure i am wrong.

oz_pacer
07-05-2011, 04:43 PM
nba live 95 is probably one one of the best games i ever played so much fun i really used to like rod strickland, reggie miller, shawne kemp, patrick ewing, hakeem olajuwan and chris webber they got me watching basketball

OakMoses
07-05-2011, 04:55 PM
I grew up in Carmel and went trick-or-treating at Dale Davis and Detlef Schrempf's houses, so it's hard for me to pick non-Pacer players. My favorite non-Pacer NBA player was always Barkley. I loved everything from his physique to his seemingly inexplicable statistics to his ridiculous mouth.

I was probably a bigger Purdue fan as a kid than I was a Pacer's fan though. The names that really stick out to me as guys I loved were Troy Lewis, Everette Stevens, and Steve Scheffler. I'm really excited that Stevens has a son coming to Purdue soon. I'll also always remember watching Cuonzo Martin shut down Shawn Respert in some uber-important Purdue v. MSU game. Respert was jacking up shots from 5-6 feet behind the 3 point line because it was the only way he could get shots off against Martin. Tennessee is now my 2nd favorite college basketball team.

DeS
07-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Overall - the love for basketball is coded in our (lithuanian) genes ;) And of course, our national hero - Sabonis.
Talking seriously about NBA - Regie. I know that you asked to select non-pacer player, but please allow me to do so as i'd like to write about my first NBA love ;)
I was a kid (17 years) from a village and i didn't know NBA at all. When i came to study in Kaunas (capital of basketball), friends usually took to watch NBA playoffs (some beer and the games starting at 2am). At the time we were watching battles of utah jazz, bulls and pacers. And i remember that game when injured Miller (leg) defeated Jordan, that shot with a couple of seconds left over Jordan. Since then i started more/less to follow pacers and NBA, but... no games made such the impression for me again, although now NBA is way better than at that time.

Mikey85
07-05-2011, 05:46 PM

One of the best video game athletes of all time :laugh:

To answer OP, I was always a small kid, so I got a kick out of watching Mugsy and Spud.

TheDon
07-05-2011, 05:56 PM
favorite non-pacer player would definately be Shaq for me. I followed him as much as I could, even though I cheered for the Pacers. I always enjoyed watching Shaq dominate everyone he went up against. I really soured on him when he left for the Lakers, even though that's where he won his first championships I always thought how awful it would be to be a fan of someone like that on your home team and then them leaving your team and joining another team and winning championships. That whole situation gave me a whole other level of respect for Reggie Miller, as a kid if Reggie had ever left us to go to some other team I don't think I could have stood to watch basketball for a long while.

MnvrChvy
07-05-2011, 05:57 PM
One of the best video game athletes of all time :laugh:

To answer OP, I was always a small kid, so I got a kick out of watching Mugsy and Spud.

Right up there with Bo Jackson in Techmo Bowl

Mikey85
07-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Right up there with Bo Jackson in Techmo Bowl

Jeremy Roenick in NHL 94 was my all time favorite.

Eleazar
07-05-2011, 06:16 PM
I can't choose one, and I have a feeling my list will be different from most.

A.J. Guyton
Luke Recker
Andrae Patterson
Kirk Haston
Dane Fife
Kyle Hornsby
Larry Richardson
Lynn Washington
Antwan Randle El

Sadly only Randle El made it as a pro. Guyton and Fife will always be two of my favorite players ever. In my young mind at the time Richardson and Washington were kind of like IU's version of Dale and Antonio.

PacerDude
07-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Wes Bialosuknia.

Back 'in the day' we never got college games on TV, but I remember listening to the radio broadcasts and this guy just lighting everyone up. Never did see him play - ever - but he got me hooked on hoops.

BornReady
07-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Jermaine O'Neal

CompACE
07-05-2011, 08:54 PM
I remember that for some reason, if your player's strength rating was below a certain number, you could basically get away with pushing much larger players out of bounds. I knew this because one time I played an entire game as Travis Best and mashed the intentional foul button the whole game without ever getting called. Good times :)

I do remember being fans of Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond back in those days (probably because they were so similar to Reggie. In NBA Live back in the day, these three would basically never miss threes).

NapTonius Monk
07-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Clyde the Glide Drexler!

Mark
07-05-2011, 09:00 PM
This one is easy for me. David Robinson and Dennis Rodman in their time together on the spurs. They were about polar opposites, but I loved them both.

I am from Indianapolis, but when I was pretty young my family moved to the boondocks of Southern Indiana and we didn't get many Pacer Games on tv. So I would religiously watch the NBA games on tnt, tbs, and of course the NBA on NBC in its heyday. During that time the Spurs/Rockets rivalry was in full swing and those were common nationally televised games (seeing as the bulls were in a lull of sorts w/o Jordan). This was a little before the Pacers garnered much national acclaim.

After a couple short years we moved back up to Indianapolis. I (my parents don't really follow sports) found out there was an NBA team from 15 minutes down the street and I was hooked. The rest is history.

Constellations
07-06-2011, 12:00 AM
John Stockton.

Hicks
07-06-2011, 12:31 AM
I've said it before: i am from Colombia. I learn to love basketball with videos and videogames in the beginning of the nineties, because we didn`t have nba games in the TV.

Specifically, i LOVE Chris Mullin in NBA Live 94 for SNES. I was fan of Mullin, his shooting and his game IQ, and when he came to the Pacers i become a Pacer's fan (then i loved D.Davis, M. Jackson and of course Reggie)

Anyway, my question is, besides Pacer's players, what player made you love basketball?

Larry Bird made me love basketball.

Day-V
07-06-2011, 12:40 AM
I grew up a Pacers fan and ONLY a Pacers fan.

Larry Bird is really pretty much the only non-Pacer I would consider myself a "fan" of.

(And in terms of old NBA games, nothing still brings more enjoyment outta me than NBA Hangtime on the N64. Still say it's better than ANY NBA Jam.)

pizza guy
07-06-2011, 02:33 AM
I didn't know you could like anyone who didn't play for the Pacers until Tim Duncan came along. Until the Spurs beat the Nets in the Finals, I never even considered liking another team, or another team's players. But by that point, Reggie and Mark Jackson had made me a lifelong Pacers fan.

Isaac
07-06-2011, 02:51 AM
Growing up in Chicago I always hated all the Bulls players, but now I look back on them fondly. Scottie Pippen was always the one who I admitted I did like.

I was also a huge Juwan Howard fan.

(PS, ensergio, Colombia pa' encima parcero!)

DaveP63
07-06-2011, 08:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpTfb9SkKaQ

pacersgroningen
07-06-2011, 09:20 AM
I didn't really have access to the internet until 2000, before that I was a pacers fan, but didn't get to watch a lot since they only showed 1 or 2 mins of nba on the sunday-afternoon. I did get nba live 2000, from that point on I was totally hooked. One player I grew fond of back then was Matt Harpring, whenever I wasn't playing the pacers I always traded for him. Terrible crappy player in that game, but man, he would make it rain from deep! .450 shooting from three and 600-700 makes from deep every season, so from that point on kept following him

BillS
07-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Hard to pick a non-Pacer, but it would have to be one of the Iceman, Dr. J, or Artis Gilmore.

imawhat
07-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Larry Bird.

Melli, did DD or Detlef answer the door?

Ozwalt72
07-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Mitch Richmond, Mark Jackson's jiggle, Reggie, Joe Dumars, Alonzo Mourning, Terrell Brandon, Glen Robinson...

MTM
07-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Clark Kellogg (pre-knee injury) was the first player to get me into the NBA, and I was a true hometown fan of a bad team. His rookie year he was really, really good, and did what rookies back then didn't do very often - average a double double 20/10.

Then Clark got hurt, so I started watching Dr. J... but I wanted to be a Pacers fan, so eventually my interest went to Chuck Person, then Reggie.. then just sat on Reggie for almost 2 decades. Still waiting for the next person to take the honor for me - sometimes think it will be PG, or Tyler... won't be Danny. Respect for DG, but not a fan. Actually not sure if that next person for me is presently on the roster. I am not sure.

imbtyler
07-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Collectively, Vince Carter and Shawn Kemp brought me into NBA fandom. Arguably the best skilled dunker in NBA history, and one of the best posterizing power dunkers in NBA history. I'm all about exciting plays in basketball, and besides Fred Jones, those two drew me into the sport with their incredible highlights.

Reginald
07-06-2011, 01:22 PM
As a 40-year-old, my answer is predictable. In chronological order, Dr. J, Bird, Magic and MJ. Prior to these four players, the NBA finals were televised tape delay and the average sportsfan dismissed 70s-era pro hoops as a fringe sport populated by dirtbags and drug addicts. It's not an overstatement to say these four players saved the league.

Major Cold
07-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Bird, Parish, and McHale were the ones I followed before the Pacers. Then Chuck Person and company opened my eyes.

I like Wilkins a lot, then David Robinson.

RWB
07-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Always been Pacers first no matter what, but..... I always had a dream Dan Issel of the Kentucky Colonels would leave the evil empire and join my favorite team.

Mark
07-06-2011, 11:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpTfb9SkKaQ

I always thought it was funny on the number one dr. j. dunk how the announcer didn't seem to get that excited. I can't imagine an announcer today who wouldn't about jump out of their drawers.

SycamoreKen
07-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Larry Bird. I still remember the day he walked through our school when I was in 5th grade and he was a senior at Indiana State. I lived an hour away from Indy in Terre Haute and didn't even know the Pacers existed until the series against Boston where Bird came back out after being hurt. As the Celtics got old I moved to the Pacers and have been here ever since.

Magic P
07-07-2011, 02:08 AM
Anfernee Hardaway was the most gifted player the NBA has ever seen before the emergence of Tracy McGrady. I was a Magic fan before i was a Pacers fan and Penny was the main reason why. If he stayed healthy he would have been the only player that could go toe to toe with MJ. I lost interest in him after all the injuries but i will never forget that he got me into basketball.

ilive4sports
07-07-2011, 02:58 AM
I grew up in the 90s and outside of my dad teaching me the game, what drew me to the NBA is the same thing that drew in nearly every other 90s kid: Michael Jordan. I was a huge Jordan fan and I know many of you may now hate me because of that. But what kid in the 90s wasn't really? I didn't have a "local" team (hence why my favorite pro teams are the Pacers, Eagles, Yankees and Penguins, who do have local ties to Scranton) to attach myself to.

But me being a fan of Jordan is what made me a Pacers fan. When he retired I remembered his battles with Reggie Miller who was my second favorite. I was 8 when Jordan retired the second time and stuck with the Pacers from then on.

Indra
07-08-2011, 02:25 AM
I always loved David Robinson and Pete Maravich.

rexnom
07-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Anfernee Hardaway was the most gifted player the NBA has ever seen before the emergence of Tracy McGrady. I was a Magic fan before i was a Pacers fan and Penny was the main reason why. If he stayed healthy he would have been the only player that could go toe to toe with MJ. I lost interest in him after all t he injuries but i will never forget that he got me into basketball.

Penny Hardaway for me too. I just loved his game. So much fun to watch.

KingGeorge
07-08-2011, 03:04 AM
My favorite non-Pacer player had to be Vince Carter.

Doddage
07-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Shaq

Indra
07-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Penny Hardaway for me too. I just loved his game. So much fun to watch.

I forgot about Penny. He was amazing. Always loved him.

pacer4ever
07-08-2011, 08:16 AM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m160/dukekev/player/garnett.jpg

He really transformed the position first really really skilled 7fter IMO. Now you see kids like Anthony Davis and Perry Jones focus on being like KG instead of playing big(which is kind of sad IMO)
But KG was just one f the best talents ever coming out of HS.

NewEra
07-08-2011, 08:30 AM
The movie spacejam brain washed me as a kid into loving the nba

pacer4ever
07-08-2011, 08:54 AM
The movie spacejam brain washed me as a kid into loving the nba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LH8qisTVj0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWeII9xkTnw&feature=related

:lol:

kielbeze
07-08-2011, 09:35 AM
http://dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/rony-seikaly-479x291.jpg

close tie between him and Harold Minor

Day-V
07-09-2011, 01:35 PM
http://dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/rony-seikaly-479x291.jpg

close tie between him and Harold Minor

What? No Matt Geiger?

Smits Happens
07-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Dr J. was my first favorite player, and the first player in any sport I can remember having his poster on my wall in my room. Then I also loved Barkely when he started playing with Erving on the Sixers.

idioteque
07-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Penny Hardaway was the closest I ever got to in terms of non-Pacer. I loved Shaq, too. But I became aware of the NBA in the early 90's just as the Pacers were getting good, so my formative years were 99% Pacers.

Knucklehead Warrior
07-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Big O
Pistol Pete
Dr. J