PDA

View Full Version : Press Conference Wednesday with Vogel and Bird

PacersFan1991
07-05-2011, 03:59 PM
11:00 AM. Via Pacers Facebook

graphic-er
07-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Does this mean they will get off their *** and name Vogel the coach?

Hicks
07-05-2011, 04:00 PM
It's about time!

Day-V
07-05-2011, 04:01 PM
FRANK VOGEL!

**** yeah!

Trader Joe
07-05-2011, 04:01 PM
I hope they introduce Shaw as well.

graphic-er
07-05-2011, 04:02 PM
It could be Shaw and then Vogel....

_The_Future_
07-05-2011, 04:06 PM
@indianapacers
Indiana Pacers Just Announced: Press Conference tomorrow (7/6) at 11am with Pacers President of Basketball Operations Larry Bird and Frank Vogel

-Twitter

Unclebuck
07-05-2011, 04:06 PM
oops, there goes the idea of Vogel running the workouts during the lockout, or the idea that the Pacers were not going to hire a coach until after the lockout.

CooperManning
07-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Any news on Bickerstaff?

graphic-er
07-05-2011, 04:13 PM
I wonder how many one word adjectives Vogel will throw out tomorrow.

MTM
07-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Honest question - what work duties will the new coach have from now until the day the lockout ends (whether it is Christmas or beyond)? What non-player coaching duties does a coach do to keep himself busy and add value to the team?

aero
07-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Hopefully they name the entire coaching staff.

Ozwalt72
07-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Honest question - what work duties will the new coach have from now until the day the lockout ends (whether it is Christmas or beyond)? What non-player coaching duties does a coach do to keep himself busy and add value to the team?

Absurd amounts of film?

Interesting question.

microwave_oven
07-05-2011, 04:19 PM
WojYahooNBA (http://twitter.com/#%21/WojYahooNBA) Adrian Wojnarowski

The Pacers have agreed with Frank Vogel on a three-year contract as head coach, league sources tell Y! Sports.

[/URL] (http://twitter.com/#%21/WojYahooNBA/status/88341014955302912) (http://twitter.com/#)[URL="http://twitter.com/#"]

RLeWorm
07-05-2011, 04:20 PM
excited to also have brian shaw

Day-V
07-05-2011, 04:20 PM
I wonder how many one word adjectives Vogel will throw out tomorrow.

No matter the count, they're going to be awesome one-word adjectives. :cool:

rabid
07-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Sources: Frank Vogel to be named coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6740328&ex_cid=nhffromfb

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive
The Indiana Pacers will make Frank Vogel's promotion to full-time coach official at a Wednesday press conference, according to NBA coaching sources.

The long-anticipated move will leave the Detroit Pistons as the only team in the league without a coach.

The Indianapolis Star reported last week that former Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw has agreed to serve as the Pacers' associate head coach, signaling that Vogel's formal appointment as head coach was imminent.

Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

Unclebuck
07-05-2011, 04:24 PM
What??? what happended to the 1 year deal?

So glad the Pacers are running their own franchise.

graphic-er
07-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Being that there is literally nothing new to report on in the NBA, what are the chances that one of these big time reporters from yahoo, espn, SI actually shows up to conseco tomorrow so they can write some expose on Frank Vogel.

microwave_oven
07-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Mike Wells is reporting that it's a 2-year deal with a 3rd year team option.

graphic-er
07-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Mike wells is reporting that it's a 2-year deal with a 3rd year team option.

I called it!

Sookie
07-05-2011, 04:27 PM
YAY! And it sounds like a much better deal than expected.

Kid Minneapolis
07-05-2011, 04:31 PM
What??? what happended to the 1 year deal?

So glad the Pacers are running their own franchise.

2 year with options... which is exactly what I said I would be perfectly okay with.

Heisenberg
07-05-2011, 04:42 PM
When Vogel got promoted I kept asking "why not Burke?" Vogel was too young and inexperienced and more than anything had been working with JOB at every step of his career. Never ever thought I'd be endorsing a 2+1 contract for him come July.

Peck
07-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Now if only he could do something about the lockout.

Day-V
07-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Now if only he could do something about the lockout.

Frank Vogel could solve this lockout in 39 seconds if given the opportunity.

And that's while he is sleeping.

duke dynamite
07-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Frank Vogel could solve this lockout in 39 seconds if given the opportunity.

And that's while he is sleeping.
:rolleyes:

PR07
07-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Is B-Shaw being introduced too?

pacer4ever
07-05-2011, 05:16 PM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
Vogel will only have 3 assistants on staff. Pacers, like other teams in the league, have had as many as 5 or 6 on staff in the past.

Psyren
07-05-2011, 05:22 PM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
Vogel will only have 3 assistants on staff. Pacers, like other teams in the league, have had as many as 5 or 6 on staff in the past.

I wonder who they'll be...? Shaw, Burke, and ...(Who?)

PacerDude
07-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Congrats to Frank. He's worked hard for a long time to get a head coaching spot. Let's see what he can do. I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

No, let's figure out what kind of season it's going to (or NOT going to) be.

First time in a looooooooooooong time I'm actually looking forward to the season starting. And wouldn't you know - there might not be one. ARGH!

kellogg
07-05-2011, 05:56 PM
oops, there goes the idea of Vogel running the workouts during the lockout, or the idea that the Pacers were not going to hire a coach until after the lockout.

Vogel was not going to be allowed to run any workout during the lockout, it didn't matter whether he was under contract or not.

Mike Wells: For those who have asked, Vogel can NOT lead any type of workout with the players even though he's officially not under contract with Pacers. Twitter

Speed
07-05-2011, 06:07 PM
The presser should be fun, what do you think about Tyler Hansbrough? I can not speak about any of the players during the lockout, even ones that NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY AGAINST.

Heisenberg
07-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Ewing's still looking for a job right? That'd be pretty sweet.

indygeezer
07-05-2011, 06:44 PM
I wonder if this thread should be merged with THIS thread: How specifically is this David Stern's fault?

just a thought.

Shade
07-05-2011, 07:16 PM
If there is a shortened/lockout season, does that count toward Vogel's contract?

Kegboy
07-05-2011, 08:06 PM
If there is a shortened/lockout season, does that count toward Vogel's contract?

Yep. Unlike the players, he's getting paid regardless.

QuickRelease
07-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Ewing's still looking for a job right? That'd be pretty sweet.Ewing is still looking for a head coaching job.

Eleazar
07-05-2011, 09:09 PM

Didn't they take a prorated pay in '98-'99? Or am I remembering wrong?

Brad8888
07-05-2011, 09:15 PM

Yep. Vogel is a white collar worker on the side of ownership, not a blue collar worker like the players who have been absolutely crushed by ownership and just want to feed their families. It's all about the starving children and the players downtrodden wives... :cry: :rolleyes:

CableKC
07-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Great news.........now I want the next major press conference that Bird holds after this one is to announce the signing of a Player that will fit into the SmashMounth Frontcourt that we are all hoping for ( outside of the re-signing of Foster, of course ).

Heisenberg
07-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Ewing is still looking for a head coaching job.
Right, as he should be, but we've seen how that's gone for him the last five or so years after more than putting in his dues. Jobs are filling up, there's what Detroit where he's interviewed, eventually Minnesota, is it a given Westphal's back in Sacto?

Hicks
07-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Great news.........now I want the next major press conference that Bird holds after this one is to announce the signing of a Player that will fit into the SmashMounth Frontcourt that we are all hoping for ( outside of the re-signing of Foster, of course ).

I'll see you in November! [/optimist]

Hicks
07-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Seriously, even though Mike Brown was my #1 choice, a Vogel / Brian Shaw duo is a hell of a consolation prize, as far as I'm concerned.

*waits until a year or two from now when someone bumps this and waives it in my face for being dead wrong somehow, as always seems to be the case with the Pacers*

pizza guy
07-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Right, as he should be, but we've seen how that's gone for him the last five or so years after more than putting in his dues. Jobs are filling up, there's what Detroit where he's interviewed, eventually Minnesota, is it a given Westphal's back in Sacto?

So, if Detroit doesn't hire him as HC, you think there's any chance of him being the Pacers' big man coach? How weird would it be to have him on our bench?

Hicks
07-06-2011, 12:39 AM
I don't see Ewing ever working for this franchise.

pizza guy
07-06-2011, 12:46 AM
me neither, but man, he'd be perfect to tutor Roy

Day-V
07-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Money talks. If we were offering and he needed a job, I think he'd take it.

cinotimz
07-06-2011, 03:08 AM
Vogel stands a pretty good chance of never losing a game in his first full year as head coach. Im guessing that might be a first for a coach.

TheDon
07-06-2011, 03:47 AM
I love how the legend of Frank Vogel has grown to chuck norris proportions around here. :D

Phree Refill
07-06-2011, 07:17 AM
I love how the legend of Frank Vogel has grown to chuck norris proportions around here. :D

I've sure as hell never heard of Chuck Norris spinning a basketball on a tooth brush that he was USING to brush his teeth with... Chuck Norris sucks compared to that.

PacerGuy
07-06-2011, 07:41 AM
I've sure as hell never heard of Chuck Norris spinning a basketball on a tooth brush that he was USING to brush his teeth with... Chuck Norris sucks compared to that.

No, you are correct, that was NOT Chuck Norris, that was McGyver.
Seems that spinning the ball on the toothbrush caused static electricity to generate off his fillings that McGyver was then able to transfer through his body by aid of a paper clip that he then turned into a spot-whelder. He uses this whelder to construct the frame of a man-sized sling-shot, & with the aid of 2 rubber bands, some old gum, & a bottle caphe found in the dirt he was able to then catapult himself out of a pit, that by this time was starting to fill with burning lava, & get to safety.
When you think about it, that is much like how Frank changed the starting lineup using only the unwanted pieces that were laying in the dirt by JO'B's feet & catapulted us out of the firery pit of dispare & into the playoff's.
IMO Frank is definately much more like McGyver!
Just'say'n...
;)

Kegboy
07-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Seriously, even though Mike Brown was my #1 choice, a Vogel / Brian Shaw duo is a hell of a consolation prize, as far as I'm concerned.

*waits until a year or two from now when someone bumps this and waives it in my face for being dead wrong somehow, as always seems to be the case with the Pacers*

Hopefully they'll just quote and link it, because bumping a years old thread is improper netiquette.

:tsk:

(Can be damn funny, though.)

Justin Tyme
07-06-2011, 09:49 AM
I wonder who they'll be...? Shaw, Burke, and ...(Who?)

Whoever it will be, they won't be explicitly a Big Man coach. Oh, I guess they will re-sign Foster to a cheap contract, and let him tudor Hibbert for the 4th year. Sigh.

How much does an ast coach make? How much did Vogel and Dan B last year as ast coaches?

If money is the issue, cut Price with his unguaranteed contract, and apply the money on something that will benefit the development of Hibbert and other young Bigs the Pacers might pickup. I will never understand the FO/ownership's reluctance to hire a Big Man coach. Isn't an investment in increasing Hibbert's overall game worth the money?

Sparhawk
07-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Ewing has to be pissed that Mark Jackson got a head coaching job before him. Why can't Ewing get a head coaching job? I don't see what would make Mark a better coach than Ewing? Cause point guards make better head coaches than centers?

Justin Tyme
07-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Ewing's still looking for a job right? That'd be pretty sweet.

Oh please, that makes too much sense! Quit day dreaming this is the Pacers.

docpaul
07-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Ewing has to be pissed that Mark Jackson got a head coaching job before him. Why can't Ewing get a head coaching job? I don't see what would make Mark a better coach than Ewing? Cause point guards make better head coaches than centers?

Eh, I thought the same... and then I took a step back.

What knowledge do we actually have here about his ability to coach?

Yes, Ewing was a hell of a player back in the day... more popular too than Jackson.

However, can he coach? Do we have enough info on his ability to coach? My guess is that he's striking out more based upon his relative lack of talent there. As an aside, he never struck me as the most cerebral person. ;)

Like you, I tend to associate celebrity with success in other skill sets. I think that's what might be getting in the way here in this case. :)

Sparhawk
07-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Eh, I thought the same... and then I took a step back.

What knowledge do we actually have here about his ability to coach?

Yes, Ewing was a hell of a player back in the day... more popular too than Jackson.

However, can he coach? Do we have enough info on his ability to coach? My guess is that he's striking out more based upon his relative lack of talent there. As an aside, he never struck me as the most cerebral person. ;)

Like you, I tend to associate celebrity with success in other skill sets. I think that's what might be getting in the way here in this case. :)

I have no idea about his coaching ability, that's why I was asking. I'd still be pissed if I was working my way up and then Mark Jackson strolls in out of a booth and gets a head coach job. At least Ewing was trying to pay his dues.

BillS
07-06-2011, 10:13 AM

I want the next major press conference to announce that training camp will be unaffected since the lockout ended in time.

Sparhawk
07-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Last coach = Laimbeer! Make it happen!

pacer4ever
07-06-2011, 10:17 AM

over Birds dead body

pacer4ever
07-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Link

http://www.nba.com/pacers/press_conference_with_bird_110705.html

docpaul
07-06-2011, 10:20 AM

I'd really like to see this. He'd be a perfect big man smashmouth coach. +100. He'd help Hibbert grow a spine.

Sparhawk
07-06-2011, 10:22 AM
I'd really like to see this. He'd be a perfect big man smashmouth coach. +100. He'd help Hibbert grow a spine.

Plus Laimbeer was a pretty damn good coach in the WNBA. Not sure if he's been coaching there still.

pacer4ever
07-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Plus Laimbeer was a pretty damn good coach in the WNBA. Not sure if he's been coaching there still.

no he coached with the Twolves last year

I just see 0 way Bird would ever hire him. I mean he really hated the guy when they played each other

Sparhawk
07-06-2011, 10:30 AM
no he coached with the Twolves last year

I just see 0 way Bird would ever hire him. I mean he really hated the guy when they played each other

I agree, but he'd be a nice fit.

Speed
07-06-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm happy about this hiring for three main reasons.

1.) upbeat attitude - you won't have this negative cloud hanging over the team. Important for young players to know you have a guy that is on your side.

2.) Young guys will play - really the most important piece to me, they are the future and how good this team will be are mostly dependent on them improving. This wasn't a given if you brought in a new coach by any means.

3.) Work ethic - by all accounts Frank is a worker, a student of the game, its basically what he's done by breaking down tapes for all of these years. I thought besides Carlise, Frank did an outstanding job in the playoffs, just incredible looking back on it now.

The other piece is for sure Brian Shaw, not often you get a guy as an assistant who by almost all accounts should already be a head coach. The endorsments for Shaw are far reaching from Phil Jackson to Shaq, just a coup by management to land him.

Real pressure lands at Franks doorstep probably in year two, that should be the year of enhanced expectations. In year one/next year he really needs to make the playoffs and win two games to be in good shape. In year two, I think he has to win a series and be competitive in the 2nd round as a 4/5 seed. Unrealistic, maybe, who knows and who knows what they'll even look like by then.

aero
07-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Just a heads up, NBAtv will be airing the press conference live.

The Sleeze
07-06-2011, 11:01 AM
So, if Detroit doesn't hire him as HC, you think there's any chance of him being the Pacers' big man coach? How weird would it be to have him on our bench?

This an answer from Ewing about coaching jobs:
http://www.aolnews.com/2010/05/10/ewing-wants-an-interview-doesnt-want-to-be-typecast-a-big-man/

"People keep telling me to be patient, and I am because I'm really liking this, but I think I deserve a shot at a head coaching job,'' Ewing said Monday before the Magic played the Atlanta Hawks in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference semifinal round. "I really don't know why someone won't take a chance. I've paid my dues."

"Maybe I'm being typecast. I don't know, but I'm not a big man's coach. I'm a coach involved in all phases of this game,'' he said. "I've worked for, and played under, a lot of good coaches. And I've taken bits and pieces from all of them.''

Doesn't sound likes he is interested in being a "big-man" coach anymore.

Hicks
07-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Here they come.

Daniel33
07-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Frank looks small :D

Hicks
07-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Nice to hear Frank again.

Hicks
07-06-2011, 11:04 AM
"It's going to be a fun and exciting era of Pacer basketball," he said, with a big smile on his face.

Hicks
First Pacer coach I can ever think of using the term "Pretty cool." :D

bellisimo
hearing Frank makes me giddy on the inside - I BELIEVE!

LA_Confidential
07-06-2011, 11:06 AM
What time is the presser? Cant watch from my phone so hopefully it will be on youtube soon.

Also, Im on the Laimbeer bandwagon. He and Bird may have hated each other to the core but they are both PROFESSIONALS and CHAMPIONS. They know how the game is played at the highest level and they both know what its like to coach at a high level as well. I would wet myself if Bill was added to the staff. Just look at Kevin Love's progression. With Tylers work ethic he would be a media darling like he was at UNC if he put it all together statistically.

Hicks
07-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Hoping to "round out" staff and "have another announcement" next week, Bird.

aero
07-06-2011, 11:08 AM
What time is the presser? Cant watch from my phone so hopefully it will be on youtube soon.

its live right now, it should be up Pacers.com sometime later today.

Sparhawk
Hoping to "round out" staff and "have another announcement" next week, Bird.

Darn it. I was hoping it would be today. Oh well. I'd just like to know whom are the potential candidates.

Hicks
"I did what this team needed at that time. They needed to just enjoy the game of basketball, to be believed in, to be lifted up..." (On being softer than O'Brien when he took over).

bellisimo
Larry: "We can't talk about the lockout - sorry"

bellisimo
07-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Frank: "We will discuss the assistants next week"

Hicks
Asked about Brian Shaw, since it's not official yet, Frank said we could talk about staff next week.

Bird said he's already been warned by the league about what he's not allowed to talk about (lockout wise).

bellisimo
Larry: "we had a plan for 3 years...now we gotta make the next step and win more basketball games...thats our goal"

Hicks
07-06-2011, 11:10 AM
"Have to have the mindset that there's never nothing to do," referring to keeping busy during lockout.

Hicks
07-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Interviews on the phone. :D

Hicks
07-06-2011, 11:12 AM
"every time we started talking about other people, it always (came back to) Frank"

Reginald
07-06-2011, 11:12 AM
What knowledge do we actually have here about [Ewing's] ability to coach?

Well, he's been an assistant coach at Orlando since 2007, during which time Dwight Howard felt compelled to seek out Olajuwon for mentoring, so he's got that not-so-ringing endorsement going for him.

Hicks
07-06-2011, 11:13 AM
On any difference from last year to next: "Have to tailor your team to the personnel and put yourself in best position to succeed, a lot of philosophical things will be very similar to what we did towards the end of last year."

SMosley21
07-06-2011, 11:13 AM
I haven't even been listening to the presser but I'm excited. Coach Vogel is the man.

Hicks
07-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Kravitz asking about the Boston Globe article.

"We're taking it one year at a time... felt comfortable with what Herb was saying, he liked direction of team, lot of uncertainties, after all said/done, one year at a time."

Daniel33
07-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Bird will get fined for the Brian Shaw comment :D

aero
07-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Larry Bird: Anymore Brian Shaw questions ?

lol

bellisimo
07-06-2011, 11:16 AM
this was a rough presser with every topic that people want to discuss feeling like the bad character from Harry Potter...one that cannot be named...urgh

Hicks
07-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Darn it. I was hoping it would be today. Oh well. I'd just like to know whom are the potential candidates.

Kind of tedious, but then again with the lockout I almost wouldn't mind if they have a separate press conference each week for each assistant coach at this rate! :D

SMosley21
07-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Kind of tedious, but then again with the lockout I almost wouldn't mind if they have a separate press conference each week for each assistant coach at this rate! :D

No doubt! I need my Pacers fixes and if they have to come in the form of press conferences about the new shoe lace company that will be sponsoring the team, so be it.

Hicks
07-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Damned lockout. With Frank, this press conference might have been epic had he been able to discuss his team.

imawhat
07-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm glad this is almost over with. I'm very curious about assistant coach #3.

Justin Tyme
07-06-2011, 11:39 AM
over Birds dead body

What does that truly say about Bird?

BillS
07-06-2011, 11:41 AM
What does that truly say about Bird?

That he agrees with me?

This isn't somehow some no-brainer, as much as the proponents would like to think of it as one.

Justin Tyme
07-06-2011, 11:49 AM

Couldn't agree more! Unfortunately, Bird is allowing his personal bias to rule over the betterment of the team. He's proud and stubborn to the point where he doesn't make the best decisions at times.

Justin Tyme
07-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Well, he's been an assistant coach at Orlando since 2007, during which time Dwight Howard felt compelled to seek out Olajuwon for mentoring, so he's got that not-so-ringing endorsement going for him.

Then again, SVG has had nothing but praise for Ewing. He's on record saying he doesn't understand why Ewing isn't being interviewed for head coaching jobs, and that Ewing has the qualifications to be a head coach.

Brad8888
07-06-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm glad this is almost over with. I'm very curious about assistant coach #3.

Me, too.

Speculation time.

How about the one man who could help the most, who is currently on the "outs" with the franchise he has been with since his retirement from the game:

Lew Alcindor, better known as Kareem Abdul Jabbar!

The only issue would be that he has never worn any Celtic uniforms, but he did at least wear a shade of green early in his career with the Bucks.

In my view, Roy has the physique to emulate the style of play of Kareem, and the ability to eventually play like him to an extent if someone could just show him how and tell him what he actually needs to do to get his body right.

Alternately, an actual Celtic could prove useful as well. Robert Parish might be interested if Larry can pry him away from the Celtics. He could probably teach Roy toughness.

Speaking of toughness, maybe Dale Davis could break away from whatever he is doing nowdays to come back and help our young guys become true smashmouth players. Doubt that happens, but I like to dream...

Speed
07-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Jabbar is by most accounts a immensely intelligent person, he is also by most accounts very thin skinned and an A hole. No thanks, there is a reason he hasn't ever been seriously for these type things.

Now, I'd be all for locking Roy in a room with tape of the all time games played leader until he comes out with even a pale comparison to the most unstoppable shot in the history of the game.

Can't see Chief as a coach he is soooo laid back.

Sorry not trying to shoot down ideas, without having any of my own.

Mark Aguire is out there, he had an excellent back to the basket game, even though he wasn't a center.

Really the guy to learn from would be McHale, but I guess Houston wouldn't care for that. He was probably the best footwork/clever guy besides Hakeem that I can think of.

wintermute
07-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Interviews on the phone. :D

"every time we started talking about other people, it always (came back to) Frank"

So I guess there never was a formal coaching search (unless phone interviews count, never know with Bird).

Was it because other candidates (e.g. Mike Brown) were already off the market? Or was it because hiring Vogel was such a no-brainer?

dgranger17
07-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Horrible mistake...

We need Walsh back

Day-V
07-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Horrible mistake...

We need Walsh back

You?! Questioning your God, Larry Legend?!

What has happened to you, Cranfill?

makaveli
07-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Jabbar is by most accounts a immensely intelligent person, he is also by most accounts very thin skinned and an A hole. No thanks, there is a reason he hasn't ever been seriously for these type things.

Now, I'd be all for locking Roy in a room with tape of the all time games played leader until he comes out with even a pale comparison to the most unstoppable shot in the history of the game.

My season tickets used to be behind the visitors bench about 7 rows up on the aisle towards the locker room....so we were always close enough to observe the advance scouts sitting at the press table in front of us. One year when Kareem was an advance scout for the Lakers, I spent a lot of time observing him and his demeanor. Entitled is an understatement. He appeared to be annoyed when ever the stat runners would approach him to give him the updated stat sheet, and God forbid a fan would approach him (yes I understand he's working and not their to sign autographs or whatever), he never said no or bug off, he just pretended they didn't exist.....I mean really didn't exist even if he was looking right at them. Never once did he crack open his notebook and I'm pretty sure he fell asleep twice. The only time he acknowledged anyone was when Jalen and I think Travis Best came over at halftime and presented him with a signed basketball to which he muttered just 2 words....Thank You. Jalen, who loved EVERYBODY, appeared peeved to say the least. From that day forward I always assumed he would never be a serious candidate for any type of position in basketball that required any real commitment.

Really?
07-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Quick question... who are the assistants, I haven't seen them mentioned yet, thanks guys

CableKC
07-06-2011, 01:38 PM
My question is who is the Coach that will run the defense.....despite always been thought of as a defensive minded Coach...Carlisle still had Dwayne Casey to help run/coach the defensive end of things for the Mavs....is Shaw, that other guy we're keeping ( forgot his name ), Vogel or the "Mystery 3rd Asst Coach" going to be that guy?

Kegboy
07-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Quick question... who are the assistants, I haven't seen them mentioned yet, thanks guys

"Next week or so."

wintermute
07-06-2011, 01:49 PM
My question is who is the Coach that will run the defense.....despite always been thought of as a defensive minded Coach...Carlisle still had Dwayne Casey to help run/coach the defensive end of things for the Mavs....is Shaw, that other guy we're keeping ( forgot his name ), Vogel or the "Mystery 3rd Asst Coach" going to be that guy?

I'd guess between Vogel and Shaw, one of them will take offense and the other takes defense (with Vogel still in overall charge). The guy we're keeping is Dan Burke. No idea on the 3rd guy, but Frank Hamblen and JB Bickerstaff have been mentioned before.

graphic-er
07-06-2011, 01:55 PM
So I guess there never was a formal coaching search (unless phone interviews count, never know with Bird).

Was it because other candidates (e.g. Mike Brown) were already off the market? Or was it because hiring Vogel was such a no-brainer?

It was more like Simon probably didn't want to pay for somebody Mike Brown when the team doesn't have the personnel to compete for a championship yet.

Unclebuck
07-06-2011, 02:43 PM
So Dan Burke is starting his 15th season as one of our assistant coaches. My question is Why?

wintermute
07-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Adelman was the Pacers' first choice? Anyone else heard that?

http://twitter.com/#!/jmikeNBAusat/status/88355452521426944

jmikeNBAusat J. Michael Falgoust
With #Pacers unable to lure Rick Adelman, they're sticking with Frank Vogel . Press conference tomorrow #nba

@Pacers_Chants They ve held off announcing vogel until they were sure adelman wasnt interested. It was his job if he wanted it

@Pacers_Chants Rick wanted a veteran team w championship potential. Didn't wanna start over. He all but had the lakers job at one point

No idea how credible the guy is, but he's a writer for USAToday.

Hat tip to @toothpicksray a.k.a. count55 for digging this out

Speed
07-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Adelman was the Pacers' first choice? Anyone else heard that?

http://twitter.com/#!/jmikeNBAusat/status/88355452521426944

No idea how credible the guy is, but he's a writer for USAToday.

Hat tip to @toothpicksray a.k.a. count55 for digging this out

Makes sense, he's pretty much been sucessful where ever he's went.

LetsTalkPacers
07-06-2011, 03:07 PM
I'd guess between Vogel and Shaw, one of them will take offense and the other takes defense (with Vogel still in overall charge). The guy we're keeping is Dan Burke. No idea on the 3rd guy, but Frank Hamblen and JB Bickerstaff have been mentioned before.
Kahn refused us to talk to Bickerstaff. So I doubt he's a candidate. Just my 2 cents

docpaul
07-06-2011, 03:09 PM
He's not credible at all. He was in Area55 last season. He has only been a Pacer fan since he started going to IUPUI. I forget where hes from, but regardless he's no insider. just a fan. Also he absolutely hated us trading Murphy and firing JOB, so I take his comments with a grain of salt.

Huh? Is it really that easy to get a job writing for USA Today? Or... are the Area 55 seats that desirable?

QuickRelease
07-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Right, as he should be, but we've seen how that's gone for him the last five or so years after more than putting in his dues. Jobs are filling up, there's what Detroit where he's interviewed, eventually Minnesota, is it a given Westphal's back in Sacto?I understand, but can he still go back to Orlando as an assistant?

Since86
07-06-2011, 03:14 PM
So Dan Burke is starting his 15th season as one of our assistant coaches. My question is Why?

Maybe he just loves the position he's in? Indy is one of the cheapest cities in the country, it's relatively safe, and has great neighborhoods. Maybe he doesn't want more stress and pressure that comes along with being a HC.

Who knows, but if he's made it so long under how many different coaches, he has to be doing something right.

Justin Tyme
07-06-2011, 03:45 PM

MY guess would be the same reason Bird gave Foster a 2 yr 12.6 mil extension... LOYALTY.

pacer4ever
07-06-2011, 03:52 PM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
Former University of Utah coach Jim Boylen interviewed w Vogel for the final assistant job Tuesday, according to a source

microwave_oven
07-06-2011, 03:55 PM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
Former University of Utah coach Jim Boylen interviewed w Vogel for the final assistant job Tuesday, according to a source

He has also been an assistant coach with the Rockets, Bucks, and Warriors.

ndcoltsnpacers
07-06-2011, 03:57 PM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells

Name sounds too much like Jim Obrien. Next.

docpaul
07-06-2011, 03:59 PM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells

Heh... pretty good choice!

There's your big man coach.

Fiery. Matches Vogel's personality. Understands smaller markets.

I thought he was going to the Lakers?

Justin Tyme
07-06-2011, 03:59 PM
He has also been an assistant coach with the Rockets, Bucks, and Warriors.

He was with the Bulls b4 the Bucks.

Kegboy
07-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Boylen had over 10 years with RudyT in Houston, two stints at Michigan State under Judd and Izzo. That's a much finer pedigree than little Bickerstaff.

I would bet his problem at Utah was recruiting, and let's face it, that's a tough, tough place to get players. With only 3 assistants, everyone has to pull their own weight, and I'm sure he's capable.

Kegboy
07-06-2011, 04:06 PM
He was with the Bulls b4 the Bucks.

You're confusing him with Jim Boylan, frequent Skiles assistant who lost out to O'Brien for the job here last go around. He's not leaving Milwaukee to move further down the bench here.

Kegboy
07-06-2011, 04:13 PM

Whatever he does they must feel he does it very well. I think it has to be a specific thing over general coaching, otherwise they would have made him the interim.

Major Cold
07-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Decent hiring considering the market. Vogel can make a name for himself and be apart of something special.

LetsTalkPacers
07-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Frank Vogel, Brian Shaw, Dan Burke, and Jim Boylen. Thats a good solid group of coaches. I have nothing but high expectations of this group.

cinotimz
07-06-2011, 05:08 PM
maybe they are waiting on rambis to get fired ;)

Justin Tyme
07-06-2011, 05:28 PM
You're confusing him with Jim Boylan, frequent Skiles assistant who lost out to O'Brien for the job here last go around. He's not leaving Milwaukee to move further down the bench here.

OOPS! My mistake.

Ozwalt72
07-06-2011, 05:40 PM
There's your big man coach.

Exactly.

Here's something LA Times did about Boylen as a potential assistant:

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/06/assistant-coaching-candidate-profile-jim-boylen.html

Kegboy
07-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Exactly.

Here's something LA Times did about Boylen as a potential assistant:

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/06/assistant-coaching-candidate-profile-jim-boylen.html

Oh, too have a paper that does separate articles on potential assistant coaches. :wistful:

Shoot, why should Roy go work with Hakeem, when we hire Hakeem's big man coach. :cool:

Hey, quibble all you want, but they didn't win their titles until Boylen got there. ;)

90'sNBARocked
07-06-2011, 07:13 PM
I wonder what the Flying Dutchman is doing?

I can't help but wish Big Rick Smits could be here. He can persoanlly relate to everything big Roy is going through................ Struggle with expectations, dealing with the negatives, overcomming lack of shear athletic ability , team defense etc.

I know he is probably off racing cars somewhere but maybe as a consultant , ala Walton last year

Sandman21
07-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Rik has said that he is willing to help Roy as soon as Roy reaches out to him.....

Reach out Roy, reach out!

pacer4ever
07-06-2011, 07:30 PM
I wonder what the Flying Dutchman is doing?

I can't help but wish Big Rick Smits could be here. He can persoanlly relate to everything big Roy is going through................ Struggle with expectations, dealing with the negatives, overcomming lack of shear athletic ability , team defense etc.

I know he is probably off racing cars somewhere but maybe as a consultant , ala Walton last year

He rides Dirt bikes that's all i know of. He lives the good life. My friend races his son in Dirk bikes those contest are pretty bad ***.

McKeyFan
07-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Me, too.

Speculation time.

How about the one man who could help the most, who is currently on the "outs" with the franchise he has been with since his retirement from the game:

Lew Alcindor, better known as Kareem Abdul Jabbar!

The only issue would be that he has never worn any Celtic uniforms, but he did at least wear a shade of green early in his career with the Bucks.

In my view, Roy has the physique to emulate the style of play of Kareem, and the ability to eventually play like him to an extent if someone could just show him how and tell him what he actually needs to do to get his body right.

Alternately, an actual Celtic could prove useful as well. Robert Parish might be interested if Larry can pry him away from the Celtics. He could probably teach Roy toughness.

Speaking of toughness, maybe Dale Davis could break away from whatever he is doing nowdays to come back and help our young guys become true smashmouth players. Doubt that happens, but I like to dream...

I like this suggestion. Not just for the obvious reasons, but Kareem is a pretty cerebral dude, a guy who really is intense on the mental part of life and the game of basketball. That's where Roy needs the most coaching.

pacer4ever
07-06-2011, 08:13 PM
dgranger33 Danny Granger
Congrats to my coach frank vogel... I would call him and tell him but david stern said I can't lol

I bet he gets fined for this didn't they say if you mentioned people in the organization it is a 1m dollar fine? :confused:

90'sNBARocked
07-06-2011, 08:26 PM
He can handle a fine

Its worth it. Stalin, ops I mean Stern can adjust

Sookie
07-06-2011, 08:30 PM
I bet he gets fined for this didn't they say if you mentioned people in the organization it is a 1m dollar fine? :confused:

I dunno, Roy and George mentioned him too. Maybe there isn't a ban on twitter.

LetsTalkPacers
07-06-2011, 08:32 PM
To get technical roy only said congrats to frank on the hire. so the NBA cant really come down on such a vague statement.

edit: also roy said it before it was official. so he wasn't a part of the organization.

cgg
07-06-2011, 08:37 PM
I thought it was the teams that can't talk to the players.

pacer4ever
07-06-2011, 08:38 PM

no the rule was referring to twitter

NVM

http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/nba-coaches-fined-1-million-if-they-retweet-players-during-lockout_b10954

Frank cant mention players or it is a fine same with the official Pacers twitter page. The players can mention all they want

MaHa3000
07-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Players are under the Players Union not the league. The fines were only on the owners side of the fence.

Players have not been threatened with fines. The league has locked the players out so they can't fine or suspend any players.

Players can do whatever they want , just ask M. Beasley. ;)

Scot Pollard
07-06-2011, 09:58 PM
I'd be happy with Jim Boylan on Vogel's staff.

He also had some heading coaching experience interim coaching the Bulls.

I also heard former Magic head coach Brian Hill may be added to Vogel's staff.

ilive4sports
07-07-2011, 03:04 AM
Great to see Frank officially become head coach. I think he has a bright future with the Pacers. I'm very excited to see him and Shaw take this team to the next level and beyond. This hiring just made sense. Thats all there is to it. Who would have thought that JOB did us some good in the long run, even with that willy nilly system of his.

mattie
07-07-2011, 03:27 AM
Not that it means anything but this is my stamp of approval on this move by Bird.

In general, I think a lot of the pro-Vogel crowd had in prior discussions gave off somewhat of an idea that we weren't sure Vogel would be the correct long term choice at head coach. There are reasons behind that but let me first get into why I'm among the pro-Vogel crowd.

To preface, I'd like to say that I'm not generally for any "names." Not to say that I'm against a big name, but I don't ever want a coach hiring done just because it's a popular name. I almost feel many times this is why failed coaches get recycled. And maybe they aren't failed as much as they just aren't what I want to see in a coach. I don't think I've ever seen a former fired coach and truly desired them. I think the only time it ever happened was when Dungy was available in 2002. I feel that was different because I was in complete shock he was fired in the first place. Long before Dungy "proved himself" with a championship in Indy, I felt like he was among the top two coaches in the NFL. There was no question. The dude was winning with Sean King (my memory is shot, I think that was his name) as his QB. That was an exception.

But for the most part, you see all these different coaches become available and it is for a reason. I don't want a name, I won't a guy that understands the game, that challenges his players, demands discipline and has complete respect all around.

That is everything I saw in Frank Vogel. My only doubt was/is because of the fact that we simply don't have that much time of him as coach to know if he can be a serious head coaching candidate. To be clear on my opinionated assumption on Vogel, I think he at least appears to be a better possible coach than nearly every coach in the league. I'm not kidding, I think he's going to be the truth. I also like to be realistic though, and know that he doesn't have a whole lot of experience.

I think we should be happy with the Pacers choice. He seems to be everything you'd ever want in a coach. But let's hope we get as much experienced assistants as possible, (as that is a plus no matter who is the coach) and that he can adapt well and be the coach of the future.