PDA

View Full Version : 76ers Interested In Trading Speights

MillerTime
07-03-2011, 01:21 PM
When the NBA offseason begins following resolution of their collective bargaining agreement, the 76ers will be interested in trading Marreese Speights.

Speights hasn't meshed well within the style of Doug Collins.

If the team can trade Speights, they would like to use their free agent money to sign a solid, power big to start at center.

Spencer Hawes, who will be a restricted free agent, is considered a backup.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20110703_Inside_the_Sixers___With_lockout__Sixers_ _game_plan_on_hold.html

By: Kate Fagan

MillerTime
07-03-2011, 01:23 PM
By the looks of it (from my understanding), Philly is looking to free up some money to sign a FA.

I wonder if we could send a 2nd round pick for Speights. Im not saying Speights would start at PF, but he would be a nice back up at C

CableKC
07-03-2011, 01:47 PM
As long as the FO is willing to spend the $$$ to get a future 1st round Pick ( if we trade away one ), I'd be okay with sending out future 1st round pick for Speights...unless they are willing to take BRush+2nd round pick for him ( which I doubt ).

MillerTime
07-03-2011, 02:00 PM
As long as the FO is willing to spend the $$$ to get a future 1st round Pick ( if we trade away one ), I'd be okay with sending out future 1st round pick for Speights...unless they are willing to take BRush+2nd round pick for him ( which I doubt ).

I think a 1st would be too much for Speights.

Considering that the 76ers just want to save money, (since we're under the old cap) we could send a 2nd round pick that way is won't be taking up much of Philly's cap room

Pacer Fan
07-03-2011, 02:18 PM
WoW, Speights is not worth a 1st rnd pick in any draft, 3 years in the league and he still doesn't get it. Athleticism can only get you so far if one can't understand their coach and/or roll as a team player. Dude plays no defense whats so ever. He's terrible. I wouldn't give BRush up for him. Actually, I just wouldn't want him.

CooperManning
07-03-2011, 02:28 PM
I'd give B-Rush or a 2nd, but nothing more.

Hicks
07-03-2011, 02:35 PM
My last memory of Speights was the 2009 summer league where he basically hit a bunch of jumpshots. He had some athletic moments, too, but my primary memory is him shooting 15+ footers. Do we really need two power forwards that do that? I mean, it wouldn't be a bad addition, but obviously I'd rather get someone who makes Tyler the backup, and I'm not convinced Speights is that guy.

MillerTime
07-03-2011, 02:40 PM
WoW, Speights is not worth a 1st rnd pick in any draft, 3 years in the league and he still doesn't get it. Athleticism can only get you so far if one can't understand their coach and/or roll as a team player. Dude plays no defense whats so ever. He's terrible. I wouldn't give BRush up for him. Actually, I just wouldn't want him.

The same can be said about Rush

Pacer Fan
07-03-2011, 03:30 PM
The same can be said about Rush

To a point, you are correct!

However, BRush may not have a big role and gets lost out on the perimeter at times by design, but he can play good defense, shoots very well and passes the ball, he is a team player and he knows his role unlike Speights.

If Speights defense wasn't so horrible, he would be worth more then Rush, but I think a bench player should always possess good defensive skills. I guess if the Pacers think they can teach Speights defense, then he'd be worth Rush and more. I just know by what Sixers fans have said that his ability to learn NBA defense is not good and by watching him play I have to agree. The dude has offensive skills and knows how to score, there's no doubt about that.

I guess, I look at Speights as a project and that concerns me.

Doddage
07-03-2011, 03:44 PM
I think this is the perfect chance to buy low on a talent like Speights. If all it takes is a Rush + a 2nd as was mentioned before, I'd have to jump on that. Low risk, potentially high reward.

speakout4
07-03-2011, 04:47 PM
I think this is the perfect chance to buy low on a talent like Speights. If all it takes is a Rush + a 2nd as was mentioned before, I'd have to jump on that. Low risk, potentially high reward.
Rush + 2nd for Speights makes sense because we don't need Rush but do need a PF.

troyc11a
07-03-2011, 04:53 PM
He could backup both PF/C position. That is good, but I would really like to get someone a little better than him.
Could Frank's enthusiasm and a change of scenery be what he needs? He has the talent to be very productive and meets our needs if it is. I dont have a problem with giving up a 1st for him (protected). We are going to be picking even lower next year. Pick wont be worth anything.

spreedom
07-03-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure Speights is anything more than a role player, but it's worth noting that Doug Collins has a long history of not getting along with young players.

jeffg-body
07-03-2011, 06:30 PM
If we could get him for that Rush + 2nd rounder I would jump all over this one. It takes longer for bigs to develop and he could be the back-up we need behind Hibbert at the 5 spot. If that would work out we could still have the room to get our PF that will make Tyler one heck of a back-up, our bench would be pretty darn deep.

ChristianDudley
07-03-2011, 06:48 PM
I'd rather have Spencer Hawes, and I don't even want Spencer Hawes.

Lance George
07-03-2011, 07:39 PM
His career production per-36 minutes (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=speigma01&y1=2011&p2=hansbty01&y2=2011) is nearly identical to Tyler's, bar Speight's superior shot blocking and FG%. If he could be had for cheap, or even for a moderate price, I'd say he's worth looking into.

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/5492/thms.gif

mikeyism
07-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Speights is in the same situation as Nazr Mohammed...a scoring 5 that is such a defensive liability that you can't give him starter's minutes. Slow, can't jump, and poor fundamentals.

Pacer Fan
07-03-2011, 09:13 PM
I'd rather have Spencer Hawes, and I don't even want Spencer Hawes.

I'd rather have Spencer Hawes and I do want him for the right contract (4 yrs. 20mil if possible). He would be a perfect backup to Hibbert.

speakout4
07-03-2011, 09:22 PM
We have 2 bigs signed for the season so passing up Speights if he can be obtained cheaply is a mistake. We could use him as well as two others. Does he have more upside than Josh? Probably.

Gamble1
07-03-2011, 10:52 PM
If we could get him for that Rush + 2nd rounder I would jump all over this one. It takes longer for bigs to develop and he could be the back-up we need behind Hibbert at the 5 spot. If that would work out we could still have the room to get our PF that will make Tyler one heck of a back-up, our bench would be pretty darn deep.
They wouldn't want Rush. They still are loaded at the wings and they want to free up money not match it.

MyFavMartin
07-03-2011, 10:58 PM
His career production per-36 minutes (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=speigma01&y1=2011&p2=hansbty01&y2=2011) is nearly identical to Tyler's, bar Speight's superior shot blocking and FG%. If he could be had for cheap, or even for a moderate price, I'd say he's worth looking into.

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/5492/thms.gif

He's also only 23.

BornReady
07-03-2011, 11:54 PM
For what what appears to be the price, I'd take Speights in a heartbeat.

Anthem
07-04-2011, 08:59 AM
If they're dumping him to clear salary, why would they want Rush?

The next draft will be stacked; I don't want to give a first in it.

We can take him for a 2nd. If that's enough, then great. If not, then oh well.

Justin Tyme
07-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure Speights is anything more than a role player,

He should fit in well with the Pacers then!

I always wanted Speights since the 08 draft. I don't expect him to be the answer to the PF, but he is a player that can play both the 4 & 5 positions that is still on a rookie contract who can contribute. He gives Bird what Bird wants... players that give the Pacers great bench depth. I'd trade Rush in a heartbeat for Speights, and never have a 2nd thought about it. The Pacers have more wings now than a maximum security prison. What the Pacers don't have is Bigs, and Speights is that.

IMO, it wouldn't hurt Rush and Speights to have a change of scenery. It could be what both need. I see this as a win win situation for the Pacers. Do it Bird!

PaulGeorge
07-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Rather have Foster still after watching him get under the bulls skin in the playoffs. I had forgotten how Foster was in the playoffs. EVERY contender should want him as their backup or enforcer. hopefully he will stay

PR07
07-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Could be a guy to acquire to replace McRoberts' minutes.

Justin Tyme
07-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Rather have Foster still after watching him get under the bulls skin in the playoffs. I had forgotten how Foster was in the playoffs. EVERY contender should want him as their backup or enforcer. hopefully he will stay

You want Foster of the playoffs, but don't forget at 34yo you could get Foster of 09-010 too. Not to mention the Pacers only have 2 Bigs currently under contract, so even if Foster is re-signed you are still 2 bigs short.