PDA

View Full Version : Players are on their own to prepare [Star]

Hicks
07-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Mike Wells
IndyStar.com

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110702/SPORTS04/107020321/Players-their-own-prepare

The NBA lockout that began at 12:01 a.m. Friday did not come as a surprise to most players. They had been preparing for it for two years.

"Everybody knew this was likely to happen," Indiana Pacers swingman Dahntay Jones said. "We know that the owners wanted to make some changes. We as players want to get the best deal possible."

The NBA immediately set strict rules between teams and players during the lockout.

Teams will be fined and possibly lose a draft pick if there is any communication between them and the players.

That means players can't turn to team president Larry Bird, general manager David Morway or Frank Vogel -- when he becomes coach -- for advice during the lockout.

Players also are forbidden to use the team's facilities.

The ban on communications puts the onus on players to be responsible during the lockout, which some people predict could last a year.

"It's on us now," center Roy Hibbert said. "Whether it's a short or a long lockout, I'm preparing myself as if the season will start in late September."

Pacers officials took necessary steps by flying around the country talking with players in the weeks leading up to the lockout.

Clark Kellogg, vice president of player relations, met with players or their agents. Strength and conditioning coach Shawn Windle also met with players and their trainers to talk about offseason workout programs.

Most players spend the offseason scattered around the country working out on their own and playing pick-up games with other NBA players.

Lance Stephenson is the only player expected to spend most of the summer in Indianapolis. He's playing in a pro-am league at IUPUI on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

"I'll go back to New York some, but Indy will be my home," Stephenson said.

"I'm focused and I want to make sure I'm ready when the lockout ends."

Hibbert declined an opportunity to play in the league at IUPUI, choosing instead to play in one at Georgetown, his alma mater.

"I'm spending most of the time working out in New York or at Georgetown," he said. "Outside of Indiana's staff, Georgetown's staff is the only other staff I'd want to put my health in if something were to happen."

Leadership will come into play in early September when players usually convene and start working out together.

Unlike some other teams around the league, the Pacers lack a dominant voice that demands the respect of his teammates and is able to bring them together to help with the team's continuity.

"Collectively we'll get together and do something and try to prepare for if and when the work stoppage will be over," Jones said. "There will be communication with each other."

George Hill, acquired last week from the San Antonio Spurs, is looking forward to getting to know his new teammates.

"Having the lockout is good, but it's also bad," he said. "The good thing about it is it's giving us extra time to work together and find out our tendencies. The bad thing is you're not playing. I think it's going to be fun getting together with the team."

Nice to know they plan to get together later on.

ECKrueger
07-02-2011, 02:53 PM
I like what I am hearing from Lance so far. I am really rooting for him to get it together, just on a human level. Obviously I would love for him to become a superstar for us too. I think Dahntay and Granger could organize something. At least I would hope so. Maybe Foster of Hill as well.

I hate the lockout, but as Hill said, it gives the guys more time to work. So, assuming they do actually use the extra time to work, we could be pleasantly surprised next season. I really like Lance staying in Indy as well. I guess Clark can't be with him, but hopefully he has some other strong positive influence here for the summer. He must if he is staying here I suppose.

DGPR
07-02-2011, 02:57 PM
I hope this brings our players closer together having all this time off. I'm really happy Lance is staying in Indy.

Pacersalltheway10
07-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Foster can't or won't organize one because he's a free agent.

PacerDude
07-02-2011, 03:00 PM
I got a dollar that says Hill is the organizer of team workouts.

He's taking over from Day 1. Doesn't matter that he's the newbie or that he's probably not going to start - he has the attitude to be a leader.

ECKrueger
07-02-2011, 03:04 PM
I got a dollar that says Hill is the organizer of team workouts.

He's taking over from Day 1. Doesn't matter that he's the newbie or that he's probably not going to start - he has the attitude to be a leader.

I agree that he definitely has the attitude, but I don't know that he will take over quite yet.

Foster can still organize or at least attend workouts can't he? I know the NFL players do. I don't think there is any thing that says he can't, and assuming he knows he wants to stay here, I think he could organize them.

Midcoasted
07-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Lance is probably going to dominate that league. With him and Hill in the rotation next year, we will be deadly. I really think he could be one of the best second round picks maybe ever if he reaches his ceiling, which is superstar high. Add that with Paul George at 10, and you may see our draft that year considered as the best ever with where we picked if both players end up being All-stars.

I've also recently found out Lance is the best 60 rated player ever on 2k11. He is like Jordan at going to the rim. I'm currently unstoppable with Collison, Lance, Granger or George, Hansbrough and Hibbert. The makers of the game must really like him, it's that ridiculous. The Collison/Lance line-up is super deadly because Collison is so fast and Lance is so good at getting to the rim.

I think we will be alright, because our players have a desire to get better and have the potential to do so. I think what Larry has brought in over the last few years was perfect, because they all are high character, hard working guys.

ksuttonjr76
07-02-2011, 03:12 PM
I agree that he definitely has the attitude, but I don't know that he will take over quite yet.

Foster can still organize or at least attend workouts can't he? I know the NFL players do. I don't think there is any thing that says he can't, and assuming he knows he wants to stay here, I think he could organize them.

I'm pretty sure he can. At this point, they're all former NBA players regardless of their FA status. What prevents Foster from calling up Granger and George to tell them "Hey, let's meet at the local YMCA for a workout session."?

ECKrueger
07-02-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm pretty sure he can. At this point, they're all former NBA players regardless of their FA status. What prevents Foster from calling up Granger and George to tell them "Hey, let's meet me at the local YMCA for a workout session."?

That's what I was thinking.

pacer4ever
07-02-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm pretty sure he can. At this point, they're all former NBA players regardless of their FA status. What prevents Foster from calling up Granger and George to tell them "Hey, let's meet at the local YMCA for a workout session."?

lol they wont go to the YMCA my bets on Butler or IUPUI or UIndy and possibly the NIF
S center but who knows maybe i will see them at the Y.

LoneGranger33
07-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Since he isn't technically the coach, couldn't Frank Vogel organize the workouts? Or is he still under contract as Interim or Assistant or whatever? Wouldn't that be great if that's the reason why Bird didn't hire him yet.

bellisimo
07-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Since he isn't technically the coach, couldn't Frank Vogel organize the workouts? Or is he still under contract as Interim or Assistant or whatever? Wouldn't that be great if that's the reason why Bird didn't hire him yet.

Frank can organize it...in the article it states:

or Frank Vogel -- when he becomes coach -

so till he becomes coach, he can communicate with the players.

yoadknux
07-03-2011, 08:14 AM

LARRY IS A GENIUS :dance:

ksuttonjr76
07-03-2011, 09:08 AM

Hold up...Vogel is technically not employeed by the Pacers????

Does that REALLY mean that Vogel could conduct regular offseason practice and drills? Then the brings the question of...what about Brian Shaw? If they're able to implement the offensive/defensive schemes, then we would the scariest teams coming into the new season in terms of preparation.

Way to take advantage of a loophole Bird.

Hicks
07-03-2011, 09:09 AM
That's not what Mike meant. He earlier made it clear that Frank can not talk to the players right now.

ksuttonjr76
07-03-2011, 09:48 AM
That's not what Mike meant. He earlier made it clear that Frank can not talk to the players right now.

So what's Vogel's official position?

EDIT: Nevermind...I just found the twit from Mike Wells.

PacerGuy
07-03-2011, 09:57 AM
So what's Vogel's official position?

EDIT: Nevermind...I just found the twit from Mike Wells.

Funny, I always thought Mike was the "twit"... :D

kielbeze
07-04-2011, 11:42 AM
lol they wont go to the YMCA my bets on Butler or IUPUI or UIndy and possibly the NIF
S center but who knows maybe i will see them at the Y.
They are bilding condos and a Y across the street from connseco. :D

LetsTalkPacers
07-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I understand Vogel cant, but I don't understand why he cant.