PDA

View Full Version : Dwyer hates Lebron

Major Cold
07-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Kelly Dwyer has always been quick to criticize Lebron James. But I think this is a little over board.

yahoosports
Kelly Dwyer

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-LeBron-accidentally-knocks-a-kid-over-whi?urn=nba-wp5914

Video: LeBron knocks a kid over while throwing one down (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-LeBron-knocks-a-kid-over-while-throwing-o?urn=nba-wp5914)

By Kelly Dwyer (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie?author=Kelly+Dwyer)
All LeBron James (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3704/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3704/news) does in the clip you're about to see is what most of us have done whether we're playing hoops (or, in this case, "21" or "Knockout") against our kids, or those who are on the JV, or those who are a few grades below us, or even those who were in our own age group when we were kids. We all know the game, but at some point, someone's bound to get knocked on their bottom.
Usually, though, that person doesn't get knocked over by LeBron James while playing a game of thunder at a basketball camp (http://intraweb.stockton.edu/eyos/page.cfm?siteID=47&pageID=97). So, big ups, kid; assuming you can get up after taking a hit from LBJ. And thanks for bringing the ha-ha, young man, while LeBron tries to make up for all those missed 3-pointers.
Here's the scene (40 seconds in):

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j3bUb72KzFA?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j3bUb72KzFA?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Here's another shot, from the stands:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eMK3LHL39O4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eMK3LHL39O4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Related: NBA star takes shot at LeBron's hair (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Dwight-Howard-takes-a-joking-if-needless-shot-?urn=nba-wp5845)
What's also funny, as you can see from the second video, LeBron is knocked out of the game after destroying the kid.
Not to remain ultra-critical, LeBron, but you do know you can play a game with these youngsters with rules that demand that you shoot from outside the paint. I mean, if I could submit to those rules in high school, I think you can do the same after two NBA MVP awards.

quinnthology
07-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Looks like all the kids were loving it. That seems to be a theme for things LeBron does, whether it's The Decision, other charities and camps, or this knockout incident: kids have a great time, adults complain.

BringJackBack
07-02-2011, 10:58 AM
The kid in the first video laughs like Mickey Mouse.

ChristianDudley
07-02-2011, 11:05 AM
The most tragic part of the video was having to hear the person running the video laugh the whole time.

graphic-er
07-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Kids might have enjoyed it (though i'm sure the kid who got leveled was not really happy about it and looked pretty embarrassed.) but there is no reason for a 6-8 250lbs man to come running in and dunk the ball out of control around some 11 year olds in a game of knock out. Dude needs to exhibit some self control. LeDoucheBag.

ECKrueger
07-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Sometimes I wish we were banned from talking about NBA players during the lockout too.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Sometimes I wish we were banned from talking about NBA players during the lockout too.

So it's cool to criticize Dirk for making a joke about the lockout, but LeBron is off-limits?

ECKrueger
07-02-2011, 11:48 AM
So it's cool to criticize Dirk for making a joke about the lockout, but LeBron is off-limits?

Assuming you're talking about my sarcastic remark on NBATV, that was sarcasm.

vapacersfan
07-02-2011, 11:48 AM
I HATE LeBron, that said I see NOTHING wrong with this.

They are having some fun, LeBron goes for a dunk (I honestly wonder if he even noticed the kid was that close) and the kid freaking LOVED it.

He even tweeted later on in the day "Yeah, I got dunked on by LeBron, but he signed his shoes and gave them to be. Pretty awesome" or something to that effect.

A whole lot of hoopla over nothing in my book

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Assuming you're talking about my sarcastic remark on NBATV, that was sarcasm.

My bad. I missed the green.

ECKrueger
07-02-2011, 11:55 AM
My bad. I missed the green.

All good, I don't use green. I just hope I was ridiculous enough to make it clear I was not serious :)

righteouscool
07-02-2011, 11:58 AM
As a kid I would of loved to be dunked on my MJ.

I would hate to be a star athlete. You can't please anyone.

graphic-er
07-02-2011, 11:58 AM
I HATE LeBron, that said I see NOTHING wrong with this.

They are having some fun, LeBron goes for a dunk (I honestly wonder if he even noticed the kid was that close) and the kid freaking LOVED it.

He even tweeted later on in the day "Yeah, I got dunked on by LeBron, but he signed his shoes and gave them to be. Pretty awesome" or something to that effect.

A whole lot of hoopla over nothing in my book

How could you wonder if he even seen him? The kids was only standing 3 feet from the rim taking his own shot. Lebron running in from the side lines to dunk this thing. He seen him and did not care. He could have easily pulled for a layup or a runner. LeDoucheBag.

I mean why was there a need to dunk the ball? Not cool.

imawhat
07-02-2011, 11:59 AM
The kids love it, but I think that's missing the point.

I never pick on LeBron for stuff like this but that was pretty stupid; he could've seriously hurt someone.

vapacersfan
07-02-2011, 12:08 PM
How could you wonder if he even seen him? The kids was only standing 3 feet from the rim taking his own shot. Lebron running in from the side lines to dunk this thing. He seen him and did not care. He could have easily pulled for a layup or a runner. LeDoucheBag.

I mean why was there a need to dunk the ball? Not cool.

Assuming you are correct, he used bad judgement and should have shot a lay-up....its the end of the world. Pull all his endorsement contracts, because that kids life is ruined.

Wait, whats that. This just in..the kid loved it. He even bragged about it afterwards to his friends...

Much ado about nothing

panthro_1
07-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Kids might have enjoyed it (though i'm sure the kid who got leveled was not really happy about it and looked pretty embarrassed.) but there is no reason for a 6-8 250lbs man to come running in and dunk the ball out of control around some 11 year olds in a game of knock out. Dude needs to exhibit some self control. LeDoucheBag.

I soooo agree with you!

xBulletproof
07-02-2011, 12:14 PM
The kids don't want to watch Lebron make a layup. They wanted him to dunk. Seeing it that close has to be awesome.

If anyone else does this, nobody cares.

vapacersfan
07-02-2011, 12:16 PM
The kids don't want to watch Lebron make a layup. They wanted him to dunk. Seeing it that close has to be awesome.

If anyone else does this, nobody cares.

I would be willing to bet if Danny Granger or Roy Hibbert do this there is a thread with people saying things along the lines of "Man, I wish I was that kid. Must be awesome to get dunked on by a NBA player." and "I bet that is a camp he never forgets, wish it was me"

Dgreenwell3
07-02-2011, 12:23 PM
I really don't get this...if lebron gave his kidney to a dying kid in a hospital people would ask "how selfish of him not to give both..." I have been dunked on by a now current NBA player, when he was a high school player. It was pretty unforgettable because the guy helped me up.

Hicks
07-02-2011, 01:10 PM
The kids love it, but I think that's missing the point.

I never pick on LeBron for stuff like this but that was pretty stupid; he could've seriously hurt someone.

I kind of agree.

No harm, no foul, and I think the end result was just everyone having fun, but it's true that it could have gone wrong.

I'm not going to get mad at LeBron for it. But if I had his ear, I might have pointed out the potential risk as a future FYI, just in case.

But that's me talking as someone who has been responsible for the safety of children in the past.

mildlysane
07-02-2011, 01:25 PM
I really don't care for LeBron, but that was nothing. He really didn't even dunk on the kid. He just ran into him after dunking. That kid was thrilled that LeBron knocked him over and picked him up. He will remember that forever. Plus LeBron gave him his shoes as a gift.

ECKrueger
07-02-2011, 01:41 PM
I'll say this, I would like to get dunked on by an NBA player for a signed pair of shoes :)

Peck
07-02-2011, 01:46 PM
I dislike Lebron as much as the next guy but come on, this was the highlight of this kids life up to that point and he will always be able to tell the story about how one of the greatest players to ever play (hate all you want but he is a great player) dunked on him & knocked him over.

Much ado about nothing IMO.

ensergio
07-02-2011, 02:04 PM
The really funny part is Lebron missing their threes.

Pacersalltheway10
07-02-2011, 02:50 PM
As a kid I would of loved to be dunked on my MJ.

I would hate to be a star athlete. You can't please anyone.

Kevin Durant? Dirk? I'm pretty sure no one hates them except their rivals' fans of course.

It doesnt matter if you're a star, if you make yourself unlikeable, you're going to be hated.

ECKrueger
07-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Kevin Durant? Dirk? I'm pretty sure no one hates them except their rivals' fans of course.

It doesnt matter if you're a star, if you make yourself unlikeable, you're going to be hated.

Durant is catching some heat for his lockout comments, and like you said he was one of the more popular superstars I think.

Steagles
07-02-2011, 03:01 PM
I hate LeBron but if the kid didn't mind then I don't either.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Sandman21
07-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Well of course Lebron had to play against the kids! Do you think they'd let another college kid get the opportunity to pull a Jordan Crawford on him? :D

Doug
07-02-2011, 06:46 PM
1st - He didn't dunk on the kid. He landed on him after dunking. It's not like he poster-ized some 11 year old. No big deal.

2nd - I've coached several youth sports, boys and girls. Anytime you are playing, teaching, coaching with kids, you MUST be mindful of where they are. They don't always do what you expect and it's very easy for them to get underfoot. This is particularly important when you are significantly bigger and stronger than they are. It is very easy for you to inadvertently make contact, and the kids will almost always get the worst of it. Lebron got lucky. Hopefully he learned the lesson.

quinnthology
07-02-2011, 07:51 PM
I think LeBron has more control over his body than you can ever imagine. He wasn't "lucky" not to have hurt the kid. He didn't hurt him because he's a professional athlete who knows what he's doing.

From his twitter:
S/O to Evan. Heard your boys didn't believe you, ha http://bit.ly/lXvx4i You were awesome yesterday. Keep working!

Sounds like that kid was devastated by the embarrassment.

judicata
07-02-2011, 08:01 PM
The only thing more irritating than the LeBron haters trying to make this a big deal are the LeBron apologists trying to pretend all of his legitimately obnoxious prior acts were equally as baseless.

PacerDude
07-02-2011, 08:30 PM
The only thing more irritating than the LeBron haters trying to make this a big deal are the LeBron apologists trying to pretend all of his legitimately obnoxious prior acts were equally as baseless.

There ya go.

He just brings it on himself - simply by being himself.

King Tuts Tomb
07-02-2011, 09:14 PM

I don't get how people don't understand it's not being a LeBron apologist, it's treating everyone the same. If Kobe had done the exact same things that LeBron has in the last year, I'd be defending him. If Dirk had done it, I'd defend him, same with Durant. Same with ANYBODY. I hate to see fans fall into the same ESPN hive mind "Player X is great/Player Y is a bad person." It's lazy and boring.

judicata
07-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I don't get how people don't understand it's not being a LeBron apologist, it's treating everyone the same. If Kobe had done the exact same things that LeBron has in the last year, I'd be defending him. If Dirk had done it, I'd defend him, same with Durant. Same with ANYBODY. I hate to see fans fall into the same ESPN hive mind "Player X is great/Player Y is a bad person." It's lazy and boring.

Its sports. People don't need to have a meticulous and nuanced understanding of stuff like this. If it rubs me the wrong way, it rubs me the wrong way.

ziplockfresh
07-02-2011, 10:00 PM
You guys are overly-sensitive.

Hicks
07-02-2011, 10:02 PM
You guys are overly-sensitive.

Who are you talking to, and explain?

Doug
07-02-2011, 10:03 PM
I think LeBron has more control over his body than you can ever imagine. He wasn't "lucky" not to have hurt the kid. He didn't hurt him because he's a professional athlete who knows what he's doing.

So, you're saying the Lebron dunked even though he knew there was a kid in his landing zone? Counting on his unimaginable body control to avoid injury to himself or the kid?

King Tuts Tomb
07-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Its sports. People don't need to have a meticulous and nuanced understanding of stuff like this. If it rubs me the wrong way, it rubs me the wrong way.

That's fine, but why are people so surprised when sports are treated with respect and intelligence like other parts of American culture?

quinnthology
07-03-2011, 12:27 AM
So, you're saying the Lebron dunked even though he knew there was a kid in his landing zone? Counting on his unimaginable body control to avoid injury to himself or the kid?

The LeBron did indeed do all those things, as the video shows. But maybe I should defer to your expertise at kid camps rather than what I've seen him do with his body for 8 years. How many times did this happen at camps you were at?

Doug
07-03-2011, 12:45 AM
The LeBron did indeed do all those things, as the video shows. But maybe I should defer to your expertise at kid camps rather than what I've seen him do with his body for 8 years. How many times did this happen at camps you were at?
0. You don't have an 265 pound NBA athlete landing where a 11 year old kid is. Or, if you prefer, you don't have kids in where they are going to land.

Listen, I'm not trying to dog Lebron on this. It's truly not that big of a deal. But, don't pretend it was OK because his extraordinary abilities allow him to control his body and gravity to such degree that there's no chance of injury.

quinnthology
07-04-2011, 03:22 AM
0. You don't have an 265 pound NBA athlete landing where a 11 year old kid is. Or, if you prefer, you don't have kids in where they are going to land.

Listen, I'm not trying to dog Lebron on this. It's truly not that big of a deal. But, don't pretend it was OK because his extraordinary abilities allow him to control his body and gravity to such degree that there's no chance of injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHOonXyj-Pk&NR=1 @:23

LeBron dunks on his own kids. And it's OK because his extraordinary abilities allow him to control his body and gravity to such degree that there's no chance of injury.

Richard_Skull
07-04-2011, 07:25 AM
This was more funny than anything else. Also, was that kid the one that knocked him out (of the game)? And wouldn't that be more embarrassing?

BoomBaby31
07-04-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm going to go to 2nd grade gym class and play knockout. When I brick a shot, I'm going to get my board and run forward for a layup; knocking the hell out of the little 2nd grader. Who was trying to take me out. Then, I'm going to back pedal and stare at him laying there like I would if I just dunked over Dwight Howard.

All in fun. I'll go pick him up and give him the shoes I was wearing when I dunked on him.

I'm a great guy.

Doug
07-05-2011, 08:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHOonXyj-Pk&NR=1 @:23

LeBron dunks on his own kids. And it's OK because his extraordinary abilities allow him to control his body and gravity to such degree that there's no chance of injury.

That video doesn't help your cause, it actually hurts it.

Notice how he hangs on the rim, looks down and makes sure nobody is under him before he lets go of the rim and drops? That's what he probably should have done at the camp in that situation.

quinnthology
07-05-2011, 10:49 AM
His kids are also 2 feet tall. If they were 5'8'' he could throw down on them and it wouldn't matter, as the video at the camp shows. The video shows how casually he elevates and dunks near little kids.

A little bump is nothing. You don't come to a basketball camp if you are going to cry about physical contact (he's not, of course, people on forums are). This is nothing, LeBron making fun of Dirk is nothing, and LeBron calling a retarded question retarded is nothing. You guys love to talk about the tough good old days of rough basketball on this forum but when it comes to LeBron it's overly sensitive nitpicking and moral judgment that builds a good case for the pussification of America. Please get over it all.

Since86
07-05-2011, 11:23 AM
His kids are also 2 feet tall. If they were 5'8'' he could throw down on them and it wouldn't matter, as the video at the camp shows. The video shows how casually he elevates and dunks near little kids.

A little bump is nothing. You don't come to a basketball camp if you are going to cry about physical contact (he's not, of course, people on forums are). This is nothing, LeBron making fun of Dirk is nothing, and LeBron calling a retarded question retarded is nothing. You guys love to talk about the tough good old days of rough basketball on this forum but when it comes to LeBron it's overly sensitive nitpicking and moral judgment that builds a good case for the pussification of America. Please get over it all.

All this pussification talk makes me wonder if you'd put a toddler in a sleeping hold. When is it too early to make them into "men?"

There's a much better way to argue your point.

naptownmenace
07-05-2011, 02:33 PM
This thread is stupid and Kelly Dwyer is a hack.

Major Cold
07-05-2011, 03:45 PM
This thread is stupid and Kelly Dwyer is a hack.
Post away Last bit can only be a bad addition with regards to forum civility

spreedom
07-05-2011, 05:21 PM

The fact that he did that and completely and utterly disappeared for the rest of the series makes that absolutely hilarious to me. That would be like me making fun of an opponent stumbling as he rounded the bases after a home run in softball, only for me to strike out the next 35 times that I batted without ever touching the ball.

LeeTheG7
07-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Lebron needs every victory he can get. If dunking on a little kid will boost his little ego then so be it. However he still chokes when it comes to playing elites.

PacerGuy
07-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Lebron needs every victory he can get. If dunking on a little kid will boost his little ego then so be it. However he still chokes when it comes to playing elites.

Saddest thing about this video is that if LeBron showed half the offensive agressiveness going to the rim in the finals as he threw onto that poor kid, he would have a ring & the critics would not have as much to say.

LeeTheG7
07-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Saddest thing about this video is that if LeBron showed half the offensive agressiveness going to the rim in the finals as he threw onto that poor kid, he would have a ring & the critics would not have as much to say.

hahahaha I couldn't agree more