PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com Player Photos and more... gone

A.B.Hollywood
07-01-2011, 04:34 PM
From rotoworld.com here is this write-up:

NBA.com and every team page have taken down all images of current players, replacing them with pictures of retired players, cheerleaders, mascots, and fans.
The Bucks' homepage features their mascot, Bango. The Knicks' homepage features John Starks. The Warriors' homepage features the opportunity to "sign with the Warriors" by purchasing "risk-free" season tickets for 2011-12. All this and the lockout is less than 24 hours old.

www.nba.com

They aren't messing around it seems.

Hicks
07-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Pacers.com has been stripped down, too.

Shade
07-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Bizarre. :disturbed

A.B.Hollywood
07-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I was hoping to see a reggie Miller backdrop for the Pacers personally.

On a related note did anyone see what they referenced here with the Warriors? Crazy stuff (but kind of admirable in a way):

http://www.nba.com/warriors/1112_season_tickets.html

dal9
07-01-2011, 05:45 PM
retired cheerleaders? what a downer.

Trophy
07-01-2011, 05:47 PM
I saw it too.

Hopefully they saved these files and won't regret just erasing them all and then having to restore them once the league is back and running.

Kstat
07-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Looking at NBA TV, they've also trimmed down their programming to include only WNBA and classic NBA games/events. They have made sure to involve no active players. They won't even show any classic drafts later than 1991.

idioteque
07-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I was hoping to see a reggie Miller backdrop for the Pacers personally.

On a related note did anyone see what they referenced here with the Warriors? Crazy stuff (but kind of admirable in a way):

http://www.nba.com/warriors/1112_season_tickets.html

The new Warriors management is awesome, that franchise has a lot to look forward to.

Naptown_Seth
07-01-2011, 09:43 PM
And the Pacers have also sent out the dreaded "how would you like your ticket money dealt with when we cancel games" email.

sigh

Eleazar
07-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Completely pointless, but whatever floats their boats.

Trophy
07-01-2011, 09:53 PM
It's as if there is no longer an NBA.

I guess it's just their way to kick off the lockout by making it seem like the players who make up the league don't matter.

Whatever. It's just web design and they did similar things on the NFL's sites at first just to show things aren't the same. Now they have things back up regarding football.

A.B.Hollywood
07-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Completely pointless, but whatever floats their boats.

I don't know, its kind of a kick in the balls to fans though. But all in all its dumb really because we will just be going to espn and other sites instead now.

Not that I really used nba.com for much of anything already but I digress...

gummy
07-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Interesting and not unexpected.

I do wonder how the retired players feel about being the only pictured players on all these sites. Do they feel used in some way against the current players? Not that they could do much about it if they were annoyed, I am just curious to know what they think.

Psyren
07-02-2011, 12:37 AM
I never really used NBA.com, but to me this is just the NBA overreacting and treating their fans like ******.

Scot Pollard
07-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Well maybe now they can update the player info pictures to more modern ones for the Pacers.

Sandman21
07-02-2011, 02:24 AM
Good lord, they even took box scores.

IS THERE NO SHAME?

ilive4sports
07-02-2011, 03:39 AM
Good lord, they even took box scores.

IS THERE NO SHAME?

Still have ESPN's at least.

This lockout is forcing me to get a life

Pingu
07-02-2011, 04:59 AM
Not sure why, but there's now a report about Kobe's knee surgery.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/07/01/kobe-bryant-surgery.ap/index.html

Is Kobe above the lockout or something? :confused:

able
07-02-2011, 05:57 AM
Lockout = suspension/freeze of cotnracts=copy & Image rights.

No contract with me and using my image is not possible, past contracts have clauses that permit the use of pictures etc.

Kstat
07-02-2011, 07:07 AM
Lockout = suspension/freeze of cotnracts=copy & Image rights.

No contract with me and using my image is not possible, past contracts have clauses that permit the use of pictures etc.

What he said.

I can't believe some of you actually think they were doing it out of spite.....

pacer4ever
07-02-2011, 07:16 AM
What he said.

I can't believe some of you actually think they were doing it out of spite.....

what about the NBA TV not showing current players i mean NFL TV and nfl.com still shows current players it is just odd to me.

why is there a difference in football and basketball?

Kstat
07-02-2011, 07:18 AM
The NBA just has a different way of approaching things.

Justin Tyme
07-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Yes Virginia, there is life besides just basketball.

Ownagedood
07-02-2011, 11:09 AM
It seems the popularity of the NBA will get even lower with this stupid stuff.. On purpose or not, they don't have to freeze out and act like everything thats happend recently DIDNT HAPPEN... like really?

More Boo's for Stern in next years draft. :D

BringJackBack
07-02-2011, 11:13 AM
GGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just want my NBA back!

DocHolliday
07-02-2011, 05:32 PM
GGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just want my NBA back!

Meh, they can go away for a while.

Scot Pollard
07-02-2011, 05:37 PM
How old is person managing the websites? 10?

GROW UP! The players still matter. They all aren't going away!

They're still NBA players and will be back once it's all over with.

Kstat
07-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Yes, because that's what it was about. Making people forget about NBA players :sarcasm:

FlavaDave
07-02-2011, 06:06 PM
I don't think it is a contract thing. The NBA owns the right to the video tapes of games; CBA or no CBA, I doubt that changes. Why would they own the rights to old photos but not current photos? Do you really think the NBA pays Kevin Durant 50 cents or something every time someone looks at his stats on NBA.com? Does Travis Best get 5 bucks every time they replay Game 5 of the Bucks series on NBA TV? Ever heard the phrase "This broadcast is not to be replayed without expressed written consent from Brian Cardinal"?

Sandman21
07-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Its gotten so ridiculous that they've even taken down the Area55 site and even audition videos!

Shade
07-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Looks like this is just a power play, after all:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/02/sports/basketball/players-are-locked-out-from-nbas-web-site-too.html?_r=2&src=tptw

When the clock struck 12:01 a.m. Friday in New York, Arn Tellem was in his backyard in Los Angeles, hosting a cookout. This is not how an N.B.A. (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/national_basketball_association/index.html?inline=nyt-org) agent typically celebrates the arrival of July.

In a normal year, Tellem would have been juggling phone calls and meetings, shuttling between players, coaches and general managers, managing the happy chaos that is free agency. But this is not a normal year.

At midnight Thursday — when free agency usually starts — the N.B.A. declared a lockout, putting an indefinite moratorium on all league business.

With no meetings to arrange and no contracts to consider, Tellem invited a
dozen colleagues from the Wasserman Media Group over for a barbecue.

The guest of honor was the Chicago Bulls star Derrick Rose — an agency client who happened to be in town.

A year ago, at that same hour, Tellem was in his office with Joe Johnson and Mike Miller, welcoming eager delegations from the Knicks, the Miami Heat and the Atlanta Hawks.

“This is quite a bit different,” Tellem said Friday.

Everyone associated with the N.B.A. is adjusting to new realities as the league navigates its first lockout in 13 years. Negotiations have ceased, although a bargaining session could be held in the next two weeks. A resolution may not come for months.

In the meantime, players are barred from using team facilities and from communicating with team personnel at any level. Team officials are prohibited from discussing the lockout, under the threat of $1 million fines.

And while Rose, the N.B.A.’s most valuable player, could be found in Tellem’s backyard, he could not be found on the league’s home page. As the lockout commenced, the league stripped all images of its 400-plus players from its Web sites, replacing them with cheerleaders, mascots and somber-looking portraits of Commissioner David Stern.

The Bulls’ site featured a large photo of the Luvabulls dance team. The Bulls’ roster was nowhere to be found.

Across the league, marketing employees have been instructed not to use player images in promotional material. The decision was tactical, not legal, according to the N.B.A.

“We do not think it is appropriate to be using video and photography of current players at this time,” said Mike Bass, an N.B.A. spokesman.

Gabe Feldman, the director of Tulane University’s sports law program, said there was no compelling legal reason to remove player images. He suggested the decision was “a symbolic move,” implying that the owners would not only shut down the league but would “stop promoting the players, too.”

The N.B.A. home page now includes a “Labor Central” button and a prominent history section, which features, curiously enough, a photo of Oscar Robertson, a critical figure in the league’s labor history.

Robertson sued the N.B.A. in 1970 for the right to free agency. The case was settled in his favor in 1976. (Robertson’s NBA.com (http://nba.com/) biography, which includes this bit of history, has been removed from the Web site. The link still comes up in a Google search, however.)

In another twist, Stern said Thursday that the league would continue its community service programs, such as Basketball Without Borders, by using retired players.

“Because we’re going to work hard to talk to our fans in a positive way,” he said.

Legends are also dominating the NBATV schedule, which on Saturday will feature a 10-hour block of dunk contests, all from 1994 and earlier, before any of today’s players had entered in the league.

The league said it had no plans for layoffs or furloughs, although that could come if the labor stalemate stretches into the fall. The 1998 lockout lasted for six months. Many agents and team executives expect this one to be just as severe.

There will be little urgency to settle the dispute until September, when teams must begin planning for training camps.

If there is an absolute deadline to salvage the season, it will be on or around Jan. 6. That is the date that the lockout ended in 1999, just in time to put together a 50-game schedule. At the time, league officials said the season would have been lost had they waited longer.

For now, there are no games to cancel or highlights to miss. But free agency is a treasured time for fans, who will spend months wondering if Nene will leave Denver, if the Dallas Mavericks can re-sign Tyson Chandler and J. J. Barea and which teams will try to lure Marc Gasol out of Memphis.

More than 130 free agents are now in limbo.

On Friday, the locked-out players broadcast their frustration, hopes and wry humor on Twitter.

Chris Kaman, the Los Angeles Clippers center, posted a photo of himself outside a Costco, with the message, “Gotta start buying in bulk now!”

Derek Fisher, the president of the players union, struck a more sober tone: “To all our players, you have my word that I will do all I can to find a fair resolution. Nothing less.”

able
07-03-2011, 11:42 AM
I sincerely hope ex-players wont let themselves be used in this way, shape or form.

pacer4ever
07-05-2011, 03:49 AM
wow I am so happy no more dunk contests now they are showing actual games. Pistol Pete is on right now game from 1970 watching him play is amazing. I hope the lockout last for awhile and benefits the Pacers and the owners and I can keep watching these great hardwood classics.

vapacersfan
07-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks Shade. That is disguisting on so many levels.

I really thought it was legal, but the fact they admit it is a power play.....