PDA

View Full Version : Bird to meet with West

90'sNBARocked
07-01-2011, 11:55 AM
MikeWellsNBAMike Wells

Larry Bird is supposed to be having a midnight meeting with David West right now. Instead he's probably sound asleep cause of the lockout.

Oh well

vnzla81
07-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks god that didnt happen.

Larry Staverman
07-01-2011, 12:12 PM
misguided speculation by a writer with nothing else to report

Hicks
07-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Oh well

I don't think Wells was reporting, I think Wells was making a generic joke or comment. He could have just as easily wrote Nene in that tweet.

Also, the title of the thread is misleading because Bird can't meet with any NBA player for the foreseeable future, and there's no current plans that could possibly exist to do so with the uncertainty of the length of the lockout.

ChristianDudley
07-01-2011, 12:22 PM
yeah I think what Wells did was just pointing out the obvious and making a statement...nothing literal. In my opinion he just picked out a name that has been associated with having interest from the Pacers, such as David West in this case, and finished his comment. He could have easily put in Nene's name in there instead of David West's name. I think that if Larry Bird is wanting to bring in David West, he won't give him as big of a contract as he would have been given before the injury...I wouldn't at all be surprised if he's actually scratched David West off his list--And I'm actually hoping he is wanting to go after Nene Hilario instead.

Speed
07-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I wonder if theres an extended lockout and then an extremely truncated Free Agent scrambe, if players will more likely go back to their original team??

Hicks
07-01-2011, 12:32 PM
I can confirm that Wells wasn't reporting anything here; just a joke (hence the part about Bird being asleep).

RLeWorm
07-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Nene>K-Mart>Landry>West

Larry Staverman
07-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I can confirm that Wells wasn't reporting anything here; just a joke (hence the part about Bird being asleep).

My point was two fold

Wells or any other NBA beat writer is going to be grasping for anything to keep them relevant during the strike.

If the pacers have interest in West or any other free agent the only people who have knowledge of that are Bird and Morway, period. (although I would still refer back to statements made by both that the Pacers best chance to improve this off season will be through trades)

yoadknux
07-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Nene>K-Mart>Landry>West
No, you got it wrong.
Nene>West>Landry>K-mart

troyc11a
07-01-2011, 01:06 PM
No, you got it wrong.
Nene>West>Landry>K-mart

It doesnt matter how he wrote it! Psycho T is better than all of them!!
Go Tyler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vnzla81
07-01-2011, 01:12 PM
No, you got it wrong.
Nene>West>Landry>K-mart

You got it wrong again,

Nene,Kmart and Landry with two legs > Dwest with one.

90'sNBARocked
07-01-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't think Wells was reporting, I think Wells was making a generic joke or comment. He could have just as easily wrote Nene in that tweet.

Also, the title of the thread is misleading because Bird can't meet with any NBA player for the foreseeable future, and there's no current plans that could possibly exist to do so with the uncertainty of the length of the lockout.

It was a direct tweet from Wells. I think it is or was true

90'sNBARocked
07-01-2011, 01:20 PM
MikeWellsNBAMike Wells

Larry Bird is supposed to be having a midnight meeting with David West right now. Instead he's probably sound asleep cause of the lockout.

This is his tweet again. I think Bird had plans to meet at 12PM which would have been before the lockout, the first time you could legally contact a free agaent. So I take it as Wells knew Bird had plans to meet or talk to West at 12:01am but because of the lockout, could not. The Joke is that since nothing to meet about becuase of the lockout, Bird is probably asleep at 12am

Hicks
07-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Okay, let me make this as clear as possible: Wells frickin' told me, directly, that it was a joke and not to be taken seriously. You're reading too much into it.

Yeesh!

*edit* And yes, if this was just another off-season, of course Bird might have been in contact with someone or someones at midnight.... so would everyone else with money to spend.

The Jackson shimmy
07-01-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm fairly ambivalent on West. But fwiw, there was a guy named
Gerry Vaillancout (sp?) on Indy sports talk (1070TheFan; archived
podcast available) earlier this week. He's the long time, radio
color guy for the Hornets.

He said the West's rehab has gone about as well as possible and
that he supposed to be at 100% again in a matter of weeks.

He also said something that makes alot of sense. In his educated
(he's an ex-hoops coach and has been around West since he
entered the NBA) opinion, because West's game is built on
fundamentals (footwork, positioning, timing, etc.) vs explosive
athleticism and he plays a 'below the rim' game, any slight residual
effects from his injury shouldn't alter his game much, if at all.

Again, just fwiw.

Note: He was on the 'Grady and Joe' show on 1070TheFan.

A.B.Hollywood
07-01-2011, 04:03 PM
This is his tweet again. I think Bird had plans to meet at 12PM which would have been before the lockout, the first time you could legally contact a free agaent. So I take it as Wells knew Bird had plans to meet or talk to West at 12:01am but because of the lockout, could not. The Joke is that since nothing to meet about becuase of the lockout, Bird is probably asleep at 12am

I am noticing that more and more people here just don't well... get it.

I heart PD but the lack of a progressive sense of humor seems to be lacking by a good few here.

mb221
07-01-2011, 04:28 PM
You got it wrong again,

Nene,Kmart and Landry with two legs > Dwest with one.

Has Kenyon Martin's injury plagued history already been forgotten?

CableKC
07-01-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm fairly ambivalent on West. But fwiw, there was a guy named
Gerry Vaillancout (sp?) on Indy sports talk (1070TheFan; archived
podcast available) earlier this week. He's the long time, radio
color guy for the Hornets.

He said the West's rehab has gone about as well as possible and
that he supposed to be at 100% again in a matter of weeks.

He also said something that makes alot of sense. In his educated
(he's an ex-hoops coach and has been around West since he
entered the NBA) opinion, because West's game is built on
fundamentals (footwork, positioning, timing, etc.) vs explosive
athleticism and he plays a 'below the rim' game, any slight residual
effects from his injury shouldn't alter his game much, if at all.

Again, just fwiw.

Note: He was on the 'Grady and Joe' show on 1070TheFan.
Even if West was 100% healthy, he's still not the type of PF that I want to go after. IF he is 100% and the Pacers do get him...I won't be disappointed...but I will have a "good signing...but not what I was hoping for" attitude towards it.

CableKC
07-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Okay, let me make this as clear as possible: Wells frickin' told me, directly, that it was a joke and not to be taken seriously. You're reading too much into it.

Yeesh!

*edit* And yes, if this was just another off-season, of course Bird might have been in contact with someone or someones at midnight.... so would everyone else with money to spend.
Judging by the response here.....it's quite obvious that when he tweeted this , it clearly went over the head of some people. Too bad that there is no "green font" when it comes to tweeting.

If you didn't post that it was a joke....I would have taken it seriously. The joke was subtle but not as obvious to many as it could have been.

Freddie fan
07-01-2011, 07:37 PM
My point was two fold

Wells or any other NBA beat writer is going to be grasping for anything to keep them relevant during the strike.

If the pacers have interest in West or any other free agent the only people who have knowledge of that are Bird and Morway, period. (although I would still refer back to statements made by both that the Pacers best chance to improve this off season will be through trades)

So there's no possibility that other Pacers' front office staff, coaches, players or even Mrs. Bird would have knowledge if the Pacers are interested in West or other free agents? Bird and Morway have talked about potential free agents amongst themselves, but with no other human beings? They have not sought input from others around the league about the free agents? They have not possibly sought input from Frank Vogel or Brian Shaw, and shared thoughts with them? Or just maybe they've chatted with Herb Simon about this matter.

I mean, I know you ended your sentence with "period," which is what people on message boards do when they have definitive and unassailable information, so you must be right. But it seems odd that Bird and Morway wouldn't talk with any of their trusted friends, colleagues or advisers about a decision with potentially many millions of dollars and their team's level of success in the future on the line.

RLeWorm
07-01-2011, 07:39 PM
kind of sucks that he didn't mention Nene

Brad8888
07-01-2011, 08:12 PM
I had small hopes that it was Jerry West regarding what he thought of the rest of the Laker coaching staff with an eye towards having them come and help with the Pacers along with Shaw in the future...

He likely still has some ties to the Lakers despite how it ended for him there. Oh, well...

Larry Staverman
07-01-2011, 08:58 PM
So there's no possibility that other Pacers' front office staff, coaches, players or even Mrs. Bird would have knowledge if the Pacers are interested in West or other free agents? Bird and Morway have talked about potential free agents amongst themselves, but with no other human beings? They have not sought input from others around the league about the free agents? They have not possibly sought input from Frank Vogel or Brian Shaw, and shared thoughts with them? Or just maybe they've chatted with Herb Simon about this matter.

I mean, I know you ended your sentence with "period," which is what people on message boards do when they have definitive and unassailable information, so you must be right. But it seems odd that Bird and Morway wouldn't talk with any of their trusted friends, colleagues or advisers about a decision with potentially many millions of dollars and their team's level of success in the future on the line.

Perhaps the period at the end was hyperbole as their are other select people who may be aware of whom they are interested in but in no way is Wells one of them.

If you look back at all of Bird's transactions or attempted transactions since he has been here none have leaked before they happened. Look at recent examples of OJ Mayo or George Hill. There was no indication of interest rumored before those deals.

LA_Confidential
07-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Hopefully the fact that Wells mentions West makes teams like New Jersey nervous about missing out on West. That way, New Jersey or NO will throw a fat contract at him and he decides not to come to INDY. Bird probably leaked a little info to Wells knowing that he would blab about. Bird is cool like that.

McKeyFan
07-01-2011, 11:06 PM
I heart PD but the lack of a progressive sense of humor seems to be lacking by a good few here.
That's always the case. Just got to rise above it.