PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Chandler

mikeyism
06-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Reports say Chandler will test the free agent market this summer. Would you sign him for around 12-15M a year?

Yes, he's a role player, but a great one. He's only 28, can play both PF and C, and is one of the best post defenders in the league. A perfect fit for us. The downside is that he'll miss about 15 games a year, and he seriously overachieved last year (see: Contract Year Phenomenon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_year_phenomenon))

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6722158&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

SMosley21
06-30-2011, 07:21 PM
I wish there wasn't a swear filter on the site for times like this.

I'll just say... no.

If you would've said 9-11 million a year, I'd not have too much of a problem with it, as long as it was only for 3-4 years. Chandler is only 28 but he's an "old" 28. He's got a lot of mileage on his body for a 28 year old, being in the NBA for 10 years.

yoadknux
06-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Do I want him? Yes.
Do I want him for 12-15m salary? No. Big no.
He's a decent defender and a great rebounder, but that's it.
I also don't think he's going to leave Dallas "just like that". They just won the championship and with their owner they have enough money to sign pretty much anybody they want.
He's not a perfect fit though. A perfect fit guy for us is someone like Smith. Good defender, good rebounder, helps with scoring.

gummy
06-30-2011, 07:35 PM
It's traditional to overpay for quality big men. Given that market I'll admit that it is tempting. Will be interesting to see how it all works after the landscape changing lockout.

Now if you said $10 per, for 3-4 years, I'd have to jump on that. I suspect we'd get 4 good years out of him. He's not perfect, but I expect that Hans will pick up a good deal of the scoring slack at PF in the future, and of course we hope that Hibbert will be the starting and scoring C.

ensergio
06-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Chandler is the only free agent that i would overpay this season.

pacerDU
06-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Out of all the free agent PFs out there Chandler is the one I'd want the most. However unless Dallas severely low-balls him, I doubt he leaves.

He's the starting 5 on a championship team in a relatively big-market. Unless Dallas messes up or decides he's not worth it, I don't see how you'd entice him away.

And no, I definitely wouldn't be willing to give 12-15 mill/per for him. Way too high.

The Jackson shimmy
06-30-2011, 08:24 PM
I like Chandler (he's NOT a PF! ). But I'd never overpay a backup.

xBulletproof
06-30-2011, 08:31 PM
No way.

We're not a team that can afford to pay a role player like Lebron James and be okay with it.

Taterhead
06-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Chandler is no way worth 12-15 million dollars.

I'd rather wait for the right guy.

troyc11a
06-30-2011, 08:45 PM
You talk about hypocrisy. This board is full of it. 3/4 of the people on here screaming for a one-legged 31 y/o PF who does nothing but stand 15-17' from the basket and shoot jump shots (West)but cant spen a little extra on a legite championship calibar big man. I am sure glad you guys arent running the Pacers!

cdash
06-30-2011, 09:04 PM
You talk about hypocrisy. This board is full of it. 3/4 of the people on here screaming for a one-legged 31 y/o PF who does nothing but stand 15-17' from the basket and shoot jump shots (West)but cant spen a little extra on a legite championship calibar big man. I am sure glad you guys arent running the Pacers!

I don't really understand how that is hypocritical at all. Some people have different preferences. I prefer David West to Tyson Chandler because he fills a need (for the 1,342nd time, Chandler, DeAndre Jordan, and Marc Gasol are all centers, and cannot play PF full time), he can score, and he will likely come a bit cheaper. I was unaware that his ACL operation took one of his legs, that's certainly a downer, but I think I'll take my chances with West over Chandler, and enjoy my "hypocrisy."

Taterhead
06-30-2011, 09:13 PM

I don't want David West either. I want Al Jefferson.

DeuceXL
06-30-2011, 09:16 PM
I don't really understand how that is hypocritical at all. Some people have different preferences. I prefer David West to Tyson Chandler because he fills a need (for the 1,342nd time, Chandler, DeAndre Jordan, and Marc Gasol are all centers, and cannot play PF full time), he can score, and he will likely come a bit cheaper. I was unaware that his ACL operation took one of his legs, that's certainly a downer, but I think I'll take my chances with West over Chandler, and enjoy my "hypocrisy."

With no legit backup to Roy and Hansbrough on the roster why would a player who can only play PF be a better fit than one who can split time at both positions?

joeco
06-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Chandler is no way worth 12-15 million dollars.

I'd rather wait for the right guy. look, the common theme on this board has been "if the price is right", truth is the Pacers dont have an option but to open up the check book to get anyone. no one is coming here for less money period. these top free agents want money and/or location and IND only offers money.

Bird will be forced to max out someone, lets just hope he chooses correctly. Like Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade

troyc11a
06-30-2011, 09:42 PM
The hypocrisy is not in who you guys prefer. That is opinion and I get that, even if I dont agree. We are all entitled to our opinion.
The hypocrisy is in saying Chandler is to expensive when a lesser player like West is worth breaking the bank for.
Economically it is highly hypocritical. Thats what I was referring too!
West is a huge risk when considering his age, health, and lack of desire to play defense of any sort.
I wouldnt commit major money to either. But at least I am not hypocritical about it!

troyc11a
06-30-2011, 09:44 PM
look, the common theme on this board has been "if the price is right", truth is the Pacers dont have an option but to open up the check book to get anyone. no one is coming here for less money period. these top free agents want money and/or location and IND only offers money.

Bird will be forced to max out someone, lets just hope he chooses correctly. Like Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade

There is not anyone worthy of a max deal that we have a shot at. I would rather see Bird fill up the roster with 2-3 strategically picked veterans whow fill a role. This way the core can stay together for the next 6-7 years.

Smoothdave1
06-30-2011, 09:58 PM
First off, no way he'll command 12-15 mil per year.

Secondly, with the lockout a few hours away, the new CBA will likely look a lot different and he may only command a lot smaller salary per year under the rules. I think the Pacers will be sitting in the driver seat with teams looking to possibly dump salary to help clear space. A smaller team market like Utah, Minnesota, etc. may be looking to dump salary.

mattie
07-01-2011, 09:28 AM

A great example of Tyson Chandler being completely unable to play PF is when he defended against Chris Bosh (you know the best jumpshooting PF in the league? and the quickest? Remember him) the entire series.

The whole idea that TC cannot play PF was put to rest in the Finals. Let's drop it.

mattie
07-01-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm going to guess the 17 responses I get saying TC can't play PF:

1. "he didn't guard Bosh NUH UH!"

2. "Bosh used to play center, thats why TC can guard him because Bosh is part center"

3. OJ Mayo

4. Trade Danny Granger

Unclebuck
07-01-2011, 09:41 AM
He's a decent defender and a great rebounder, but that's it.

I don't think it is realistic that he is going to leave Dallas, in fact I don't think there is really any chance he leaves the Mavs.

I do want to say I think he's a great defender, great team defender and an excellent one-on-one defender. He would immediately upgrade our interior defense by such a wide margin we would look like an entirely different team.

I'd love to have him, he'd make us a winner overnight.

My only concern is that he has gotten injured a lot in the past, but I'd take that chance. I would put him up there with some of the best big defender of the past 20 years. he's not as good as KG or Hakeem - the two best I've ever seen, but I think he's as good as Sheed, Ben Wallace, TD

However as I started out saying, I don't think there is any chance he leaves the Mavs.

PR07
07-01-2011, 10:10 AM
He'd definitely be almost exactly what we need to a T. However, I just don't see us getting him unless we simply offer some real stupid money.

ECKrueger
07-01-2011, 11:43 AM
He'd definitely be almost exactly what we need to a T. However, I just don't see us getting him unless we simply offer some real stupid money.

Which would, in fact, be real stupid.

BringJackBack
07-01-2011, 01:12 PM
I think Tyson Chandler is overrated. Last year, when he was still with Charlotte, he was a guy who we wouldn't take for free because of injury issues, lack of offense, and declining hops.

Banta
07-01-2011, 01:17 PM

Well, there's hypocrisy and then there's high standards. There may be some hypocrisy on this board, but I think more than anything else there are some guys who just don't see anyone as being worth the money. Everyone wants us to sign a great PF, but there is no consensus amongst board members because there are different schools of thought about the type of PF we need and those different schools of thought have very little overlap.

mattie
07-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Well, there's hypocrisy and then there's high standards. There may be some hypocrisy on this board, but I think more than anything else there are some guys who just don't see anyone as being worth the money. .

That's because you can always wait to acquire the right players. If you sign a bad contract then you're stuck. You can't sign anyone else, you can't trade your bad asset. You're done, stuck as a mediocre team because you just had to sign one of the possible free agents available.

I'm ok with not signing anyone from this years crop. They just aren't good. Rather keep the guys we have, watch the young talent develop and when some good players are available we can take them.

Really?
07-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Rather take a chance on Thaddeus Young for a cheaper price... guy is younger, has upside, and better offensive game the Tyson... plus you don't have to worry about the injury issues..

I would rather take him than West, and possibly even NeNe... ummm maybe not NeNe, lol

troyc11a
07-01-2011, 03:34 PM
A great example of Tyson Chandler being completely unable to play PF is when he defended against Chris Bosh (you know the best jumpshooting PF in the league? and the quickest? Remember him) the entire series.

The whole idea that TC cannot play PF was put to rest in the Finals. Let's drop it.

To say TC is not a PF is not a very well informed opinion. To say Center is his "best" position is hard to argue.
But the question is not whether or not C or PF is his best position, the question is whether or not he could play PF better than the other options.
I would not commit big bucks to him for a long time, but I think he would help this team.

troyc11a
07-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Rather take a chance on Thaddeus Young for a cheaper price... guy is younger, has upside, and better offensive game the Tyson... plus you don't have to worry about the injury issues..

I would rather take him than West, and possibly even NeNe... ummm maybe not NeNe, lol

Young would be an excellent backup for Tyler!

The Sleeze
07-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Whether its Nene or Chandler being forced to play PF. Having two centers on the court isn't always a bad thing:

http://www.posters.ws/images/389801/t_duncan_d_robinson_03_trophies_photofile.jpg

pacergod2
07-01-2011, 03:51 PM
I really like how well Thad Young has progressed this early in his career, but he is certainly not a PF. He is a lot like Granger in that he can play some spot minutes at PF, but he is clearly more suited as a SF.

Really?
07-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Whether its Nene or Chandler being forced to play PF. Having to centers on the court is always a bad thing:

http://www.posters.ws/images/389801/t_duncan_d_robinson_03_trophies_photofile.jpg

Duncan always considered himself a PF not a C.

I will say if we had Chandler he would have to play the 4 on defense and the 5 on offense... Roy can't guard most 4's in the league, Chandler would have a better shot at that, but I think some would still give him trouble.

On offense Chandler is effective down low, Roy can play down low but has some range as well. Chandler is also good at getting offensive rebounds and taking them up strong...

troyc11a
07-01-2011, 08:09 PM
I really like how well Thad Young has progressed this early in his career, but he is certainly not a PF. He is a lot like Granger in that he can play some spot minutes at PF, but he is clearly more suited as a SF.

So is Josh Smith but that doesnt stop many on this board from crying for him!

Really?
07-01-2011, 08:47 PM
So is Josh Smith but that doesnt stop many on this board from crying for him!

I think both, Young and Smith, are tweeners able to play both positions... if they give up a little on defense they will make it up with their offensive mismatch so I am not too much worried about that... Both can grab rebounds, and get blocks... Smith has a mean streak though that allows him to play more physical down low, both are very good athletes which sets them apart from a 3 like Granger playing the 4 position.

Banta
07-02-2011, 08:37 AM
That's because you can always wait to acquire the right players. If you sign a bad contract then you're stuck. You can't sign anyone else, you can't trade your bad asset. You're done, stuck as a mediocre team because you just had to sign one of the possible free agents available.

I'm ok with not signing anyone from this years crop. They just aren't good. Rather keep the guys we have, watch the young talent develop and when some good players are available we can take them.

I don't want to jump into a bad contract, either, so I'm with you on that point. However, I do think that this is probably only a 40 win team without improving at PF one way or another. The addition of Hill is nice (though I am one who wanted Leonard for months prior to the draft), but PF is a big need. If we wait it out until next offseason, that sits fine with this fan, too.

ksuttonjr76
07-02-2011, 10:44 AM
IMHO, I highly doubt that he leaves the Mavs unless a hard cap is implemented.

owl
07-02-2011, 12:10 PM

Hopefully the consequences for Bird will not be as severe if he chooses "poorly"..... :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubw5N8iVDHI

pacer4ever
07-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Whether its Nene or Chandler being forced to play PF. Having two centers on the court isn't always a bad thing:

so you compare two of the greatest big men of all time to Chandler? really? :laugh:

and really was right Duncan was a PF in a centers body(kind of like Kevin Garnett)