PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the lockout is official: ESPN

docpaul
06-30-2011, 03:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6723645

NEW YORK -- Union chief Billy Hunter says owners are locking out players after failing to reach a new collective bargaining agreement, potentially putting the 2011-12 season in jeopardy.

Despite a three-hour meeting Thursday, the sides could not close the enormous gap that remained in their positions. The CBA was due to expire at midnight.

Hunter said the union made a "moderate" new financial proposal, but it wasn't enough to keep the two sides at the bargaining table.

Hunter said the two sides plan to meet again in the next two to three weeks.

All league business is officially on hold, starting with the free agency period that would have opened Friday, and games eventually could be lost, too. The last lockout reduced the 1998-99 season to just a 50-game schedule, the only time the NBA missed games for a work stoppage.

Union executive committee member Matt Bonner says "we tried to avoid the lockout; unfortunately we couldn't reach a deal."

Totally disappointed, but not surprised.

Trader Joe
06-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Random thought: I don't know if I'd want a grown that man that still goes by "Billy" being my lead negotiator. Now back to more important thoughts.

sam kaiserblade
06-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Well I hope Roy Hibbert doesn't do a Shawn Kemp and emerge from any work stoppage weighing 300 lbs. I will never forget seeing Shawn Kemp at that exhibition game the players put on back in 1998.

Inca Street
06-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Random thought: I don't know if I'd want a grown that man that still goes by "Billy" being my lead negotiator. Now back to more important thoughts.

Oh, Billy, Billy, Billy........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJPg1Fivmqg

TheDon
06-30-2011, 03:37 PM
It seems like there are no "demands" or whatever you wanna call it, being made from the players side in all this I'd at least like to know where the players stand. Even if they start their demands off at some extreme to allow for breathing room to negotiation like the owners did. I haven't heard one number from the players of what exactly they hope to get accomplished just scoffs and repulsed by the owners' offers.

Sandman21
06-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Get the padlocks, I don't want to see these guys not negotiating for weeks at a time!

graphic-er
06-30-2011, 03:42 PM
It seems like there are no "demands" or whatever you wanna call it, being made from the players side in all this I'd at least like to know where the players stand. Even if they start their demands off at some extreme to allow for breathing room to negotiation like the owners did. I haven't heard one number from the players of what exactly they hope to get accomplished just scoffs and repulsed by the owners' offers.

The players want to keep as much the same as possible, they on the money train!

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/~hybrid/mancina/MoneyTrain.jpeg

Speed
06-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Yep, there is absolutely nothing going to happen for months now, there isn't any reason for either side to do anything, until you get close to training camp/preseason. Sucks!

Hicks
06-30-2011, 03:50 PM
:sigh:

:(

d_c
06-30-2011, 03:50 PM
If we're lucky we'll get a 50 game season like we did in 98'-99'. The players and owners right now aren't even in the same ballpark. Not even the same zip code for that matter. And it looks like the owners are willing to throw away the entire season to get what they want. They want to absolutely crush the players. Just destroy them.

Hunker down and get ready for a long winter without NBA basketball.

Hicks
06-30-2011, 03:52 PM

I haven't either, though I'm assuming they just want the status quo.

Speed
06-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Trying to be optimistic, hopefully the longer the lockout the more improvement we'll see from the youngsters. Its a good opportunity to really add to their skillsets. I really would like to see Paul George go from a 29% 3 pt shooter to around 35%. That would really make a difference.

Hicks
06-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Get the padlocks, I don't want to see these guys not negotiating for weeks at a time!

This is what I hate about this: Odds are this won't even get serious again until November.

The NBA just turned out the lights for possibly 4+ months straight. :(

No summer league, no free agency, no trades. :(

Speed
06-30-2011, 03:55 PM
I'll be interested to see what Bruno does with Pacers.com in the morning, if they are blocked from any players related content.

Sandman21
06-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Like I've been saying, someone lock the owners and the PA reps in a room and don't let them out until a deal is made!

No deal? No EXIT!

MTM
06-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Too bad about our draft picks - they will be behind without the summer league and probably won't have a good concept of playing at this level for awhile. Particularly if the lockout lasts a long time...it's going to be tough to rely on rookies.

Oh wait... our front office already THOUGHT of that...

graphic-er
06-30-2011, 03:58 PM
I'll be interested to see what Bruno does with Pacers.com in the morning, if they are blocked from any players related content.

Bruno will be lucky to have a job tomorrow. Sorry Conrad, nothing to write about.

Unclebuck
06-30-2011, 04:01 PM

Players want to keep things as they are in the current deal

I was hoping that maybe they would extend the deadline a few weeks.

wintermute
06-30-2011, 04:02 PM

Tim Donahue (a.k.a. count55) summarizes the latest proposals of both owners and players here, as well as giving his own suggestions for the CBA.

http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/2011/06/the-cba-my-last-best-offer/

Unclebuck
06-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Yep, there is absolutely nothing going to happen for months now, there isn't any reason for either side to do anything, until you get close to training camp/preseason. Sucks!

In 1998 they didn't meet again until mid August and that was for only 90 minutes and nothing happened

Yeah, there is no incentive for either side to meet until after Labor day at least.

Of coruse the start of the regular season is the big incentive as the players begin to lose $$

docpaul
06-30-2011, 04:05 PM

That was clearly an option that was in the cards, but from what I'm reading, it seems that they were so far apart that they didn't bother to take advantage of that option.

That's a bad sign, IMO. One could see it however, as an attempt to put further pressure on the players.

PacersFan1991
06-30-2011, 04:08 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I think we very well may not see NBA at all this year. Good chance this lockout goes on well into next summer.

Since86
06-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Reports are saying that the NBPA didn't even offer anything else. They merely tried to re-explain what they proposed back in Dec. My goodness, they need new representation.

Unclebuck
06-30-2011, 04:13 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I think we very well may not see NBA at all this year. Good chance this lockout goes on well into next summer.

I firmly believe the players will cave before the season is lost.

The fact is they still have to come to an agreement at some point, why would it be easier to get an agreement next June than it would be around Christmas. players will need that cash by then

I Love P
06-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Barkley said there will not be a season next season and I heard Bucher say AT BEST 50 game season next year. This is gonna be ugly so everyone hold on. Hopefully the NFL gets their stuff settled so I can at least watch the only other team I like.

Hicks
06-30-2011, 04:17 PM

And, really, isn't this just more of a sign of how well the players have it right now?

Think about it: We're facing a new lockout, the owners have all of these big changes they want to make, and the players..... have none. They just want to keep things as they are. Nothing drastically new or different in their favor.

El Pacero
06-30-2011, 04:18 PM
I can't find the No Thanks button.

PacersFan1991
06-30-2011, 04:20 PM
I just hope we don't see "LeBron James: The Lockout Decision"

I'm gonna take my talents to Europe during the lockout....

odeez
06-30-2011, 04:23 PM
The wait begins ... :(

rock747
06-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Are the players really this stupid?

vapacersfan
06-30-2011, 04:28 PM

I just found out vbulletin has a "dislike" jack. this is one case where I could see using it.

graphic-er
06-30-2011, 04:28 PM
So what sport do I watch and pay attention to now?
Can't stand baseball. Not a big fan of football anymore, and they are locked out as well.

Guess i'm gonna start watchin the WNBA. That Katie Douglas is a bit of a looker.

vapacersfan
06-30-2011, 04:29 PM

I just found out vbulletin has a "dislike" jack. this is one case where I could see using it.

06-30-2011, 04:30 PM
NBA.com confirms (http://www.nba.com/2011/news/06/30/lockout/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1)

NBA players need a reality check, it's not the early-90's.

Sandman21
06-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Barkley said there will not be a season next season and I heard Bucher say AT BEST 50 game season next year. This is gonna be ugly so everyone hold on. Hopefully the NFL gets their stuff settled so I can at least watch the only other team I like.

And Dakich had an ESPN sports legal analyst on yesterday who thought along the lines of UB, maybe even more optimistic.

Justin Tyme
06-30-2011, 05:03 PM
I've been prepared for this for a year now. I can see a total season loss as well. I agree with UB, the players will cave. Most can't afford to be w/o a paycheck. Checks were set to be starting to be paid Nov 15. They have been w/o a check now for 2 1/2 months. Nov is 7 months from their last pay check with none in sight if it's not settled by season opener.

Midcoasted
06-30-2011, 05:07 PM
This is really bothersome. All I can say is hopefully our players stay in shape. I think we are lucky are young squad really seems to like to play and want to get better and be the best.

Vogel should also have some experience on the fly once the season starts.

On Rome on ESPN, they were talking like they will for sure miss games.:censored:

shags
06-30-2011, 06:45 PM
On PTI, Tom Penn (formerly of the Blazers and Grizzlies front office) thought there'd be a 75% chance of no season this year. :(

xBulletproof
06-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Players don't seem to realize that while a lockout hurts the owners, it kills the players. The owners won't starve. They won't miss a house payment or car payment. The players on the other hand ....

Larry Staverman
06-30-2011, 07:05 PM
And, really, isn't this just more of a sign of how well the players have it right now?

Think about it: We're facing a new lockout, the owners have all of these big changes they want to make, and the players..... have none. They just want to keep things as they are. Nothing drastically new or different in their favor.

The players are saying they don't want to be responsible for bad contracts the owners got into.

Like eating $25 million for Tinsley after a couple of public gunfights or $40 million for Eddie Curry after he decided he liked the buffet line better than the weight room, etc, etc....

Kind of like in the movie Animal House after they trash the Lincoln and Otter says to Flounder "Hey you f'd up you trusted us".

ensergio
06-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Too bad about our draft picks - they will be behind without the summer league and probably won't have a good concept of playing at this level for awhile. Particularly if the lockout lasts a long time...it's going to be tough to rely on rookies.

Oh wait... our front office already THOUGHT of that...

Best Post Ever!

Scot Pollard
06-30-2011, 07:09 PM
I love the NBA, but at the same time I hate it!!! I HATE DAVID J. STERN!

I can't even watch ESPN listening to people pretty be bias towards to NFL at this time.

I hate Michael Wilbon. This isn't the NFL games are going to be missed?

I think what anyone says is talking out of their ***.

The NBA is actually not as bad as the NFL. Just the NFL has been locked out longer and now people believe there's a light at the end of that tunnel. Just wait in a few more months and everyone will say the same about the NBA.

I don't think games will be missed in either league.

Hey just stay positive. That's all you can do and not listen to these guys talk out of their ***.

Tom White
06-30-2011, 07:13 PM

I think, basically, the players want to keep the status quo. That ain't gonna happen.

Tom White
06-30-2011, 07:14 PM

Ha! Sorry. I just posted the same phrase before reading your post.

317Kim
06-30-2011, 07:19 PM
NBA Offseason >>>> NBA Lockout

I never looked forward to the offseason in years past, but now I would greatly appreciate it. We have the players' twitter accounts to keep us company, I guess. :shrug: Hold on, stay strong.

Tom White
06-30-2011, 07:21 PM
The players are saying they don't want to be responsible for bad contracts the owners got into.

Like eating $25 million for Tinsley after a couple of public gunfights or $40 million for Eddie Curry after he decided he liked the buffet line better than the weight room, etc, etc....

Kind of like in the movie Animal House after they trash the Lincoln and Otter says to Flounder "Hey you f'd up you trusted us".

This is where non-gtd contracts would be a big help. Or at least more behavioral clauses allowing the cancelling of contracts.

Cactus Jax
06-30-2011, 07:29 PM
The NBA lockout will be longer than the NFL lockout, it just won't be as publicly dissected as the NFL one is on a daily basis on ESPN.

We won't hear a peep about this until at least September or October and the base sports fan or media aren't going to care as much.

I think also it has to do way more with the NBA showcasing its players over the teams, so when lockouts like this occur, the average sports fan is going to look at it and say, its the players and their salaries that are causing this, rather than the NFL where most people look at the owners and their franchises and say they're causing their lockout.

Scot Pollard
06-30-2011, 07:35 PM
I actually can understand how people think the NBA may miss games compared to the NFL.

The NFL season is longer including the playoffs.

As far as time, I don't think games will be missed however.

Something, anything will get done before the regular season.

pwee31
06-30-2011, 07:43 PM
It'll be interesting to see how players have saved their money. This lockout will not really hurt the superstars much as they make millions a year, but sooner or later it will effect some of the lower end players and could affect lifestyles all together

Sollozzo
06-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Sometimes I wonder why I even get sucked into liking pro sports. Millionaires fighting with billionaires. A bunch of people who don't live in the real world.

Seeing all the sides in the NFL and NBA whine like they do during economic times like this is really sort of comical. I'm unsympathetic to all of them. If they are stupid enough to screw the golden situations they are in oh well, life will go on.

It's Stern and Billy Hunter again. I really wish we could get some new faces. Isn't it about time for Stern to go away? Two lockouts and over-expansion that has diluted the league and led to a mess of crappy bottom-feeding franchises.

trailrunner
06-30-2011, 08:26 PM
It'll be interesting to see how players have saved their money. This lockout will not really hurt the superstars much as they make millions a year, but sooner or later it will effect some of the lower end players and could affect lifestyles all together

Guess they will have to apply for unemployment insurance or sell the Bentley. The lowest paid player on our squad made 750 thousand last season. I make that in 15 years. I suspect their tax attorney is better than mine as well. Perhaps their agents will float them a loan. :)

Scot Pollard
06-30-2011, 09:03 PM
It's Stern and Billy Hunter again. I really wish we could get some new faces. Isn't it about time for Stern to go away? Two lockouts and over-expansion that has diluted the league and led to a mess of crappy bottom-feeding franchises.

THIS MAN FOR NBA COMMISSIONER!

http://thm-a01.yimg.com/nimage/e0589151ae15e8aa

edit: I don't agree with the second part however. I don't think the league is over expanded. 30 teams is a good number and for the most part they are supported excluding the general lockout.

There's been 30 teams for years and I don't see that changing in the NBA. Maybe in the NHL.

RLeWorm
06-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Quote from Durant:"Players will not give into NBA". WTF, is he stupid? is he trying to create war or something? cause the last time i checked they would be nothing without the NBA.

RLeWorm
06-30-2011, 09:35 PM
aye if the players don't want to play for what they have, they could go over to Europe. U can't always have it your way.

Wage
06-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Quote from Durant:"Players will not give into NBA". WTF, is he stupid? is he trying to create war or something? cause the last time i checked they would be nothing without the NBA.

To be fair, Durant just found out about the possibility of a lockout like yesterday. I'm sure once someone explains what the word means, and that he won't get paid, he may change his mind.

Trophy
06-30-2011, 09:48 PM

:picard:

I thought Kevin Durant was smarter than that. You play in the NBA?

speakout4
06-30-2011, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a pacer team full of non union players for awhile. I'll be a fan of anyone wearing the pacer uniform. This obviously can't happen but in the short term if it could it would fill the void. If I can watch college ball I could watch substitute players.

The players don't want to give back what they already have but the economics for the players is unsustainable and they don't want to accept that.

RLeWorm
06-30-2011, 09:59 PM
:picard:

I thought Kevin Durant was smarter than that. You play in the NBA?

hopefully all the players go to europe and i get in. Shoot ill play for min. wage

Brian
06-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Anyone see this? Kind of interesting....
http://deadspin.com/5816870/exclusive-how-and-why-an-nba-team-makes-a-7-million-profit-look-like-a-28-million-loss

PaceBalls
06-30-2011, 10:02 PM
If this really drags on for all of next season I wonder how many players just up and go to Europe. This potentially could reduce the NBA to 2nd class status.

Do they have a Euroleague Pass like the NBA League Pass? I think I would root for whoever gets Paul George and Roy Hibbert. I wonder how Roy would do in Euro ball? Paul would tear it up.

speakout4
06-30-2011, 10:05 PM
If this really drags on for all of next season I wonder how many players just up and go to Europe. This potentially could reduce the NBA to 2nd class status.

Do they have a Euroleague Pass like the NBA League Pass? I think I would root for whoever gets Paul George and Roy Hibbert. I wonder how Roy would do in Euro ball? Paul would tear it up.
I don't see too many players willingly living abroad. Language and cultural problems do not exactly make for quality of life.

PaceBalls
06-30-2011, 10:11 PM
I don't see too many players willingly living abroad. Language and cultural problems do not exactly make for quality of life.

Almost everyone speaks English as a second language now days, unless you are playing in China or somewhere like that. For the players, it's really about maintaining the lavish lifestyle these guys live, which requires them to be paid of course.

Sookie
06-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Can free agents play overseas this season? Could that have been the reason Brown opted otu?

speakout4
06-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Almost everyone speaks English as a second language now days, unless you are playing in China or somewhere like that. For the players, it's really about maintaining the lavish lifestyle these guys live, which requires them to be paid of course.
In educated circles they do but trying having relationships with natives only in their second language. The French and Italians prefer their own language and their English is not that good. Other European countries are better but only among well educated people.

Trying living abroad for a couple of years. it's not that easy even understanding the language and it has nothing to do with lavish lifestyle... Everything is foreign everyday.

Unclebuck
06-30-2011, 10:25 PM

You must forget the comment that Ewing made back in 1998 during the lockout. "Yeah we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot too"

The superstars will feel the loss of money too. A check for $200K will be missed, I don't care if you are Lebron, as ewing said, yeah we make a lot but we spend a lot too

Sookie
06-30-2011, 10:26 PM
In educated circles they do but trying having relationships with natives only in their second language. The French and Italians prefer their own language and their English is not that good. Other European countries are better but only among well educated people.

Trying living abroad for a couple of years. it's not that easy even understanding the language and it has nothing to do with lavish lifestyle... Everything is foreign everyday.

Depends on the person. Some people love it. Love the culture, love the change. Pretty much every person I know who has spent some time abroad comes back with "I'm going to live there."

pacers74
06-30-2011, 10:29 PM
I bet this goes into October, but not much further than that. Both sides still want a season. With the hate of the Heat the NBA is close to the level it was back in the 90's a long lockout could ruin their momentum.

speakout4
06-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Depends on the person. Some people love it. Love the culture, love the change. Pretty much every person I know who has spent some time abroad comes back with "I'm going to live there."
Depends on what you call some time. I'm talking about years, being away from your friends, family, culture, food you're used to for extended periods of time.

ksuttonjr76
06-30-2011, 10:53 PM
The Players do realize that the Owners have other ways of making money?

Sookie
06-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Depends on what you call some time. I'm talking about years, being away from your friends, family, culture, food you're used to for extended periods of time.

Most women's players do that. A lot of them live there, then come back here (for the WNBA season) but the men wouldn't have to do that. (Obviously they couldn't, the leagues run at the same time.)

Just saying, a lot of people enjoy the difference. It's not always seen as a negative. Particularly to some of the younger guys in the league who might want to experience that for a few years.

Pingu
06-30-2011, 11:43 PM

Yeah, I can't imagine anybody living in Cleveland, Minneapolis or Milwaukee being willing to live in such awful cities as Barcelona, Rome, Madrid, Istanbul or Athens. How dreadful that would be...

pacer4ever
06-30-2011, 11:53 PM

there is tons of guys who love playing over seas. I mean lets take Ben Hasbro for example he chose more money to go to Europe instead of being a bench player in the NBA.

I love staying in Europe in Budapest Hungary where i have lived in the past almost everyone speaks english

ECKrueger
07-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I can't imagine anybody living in Cleveland, Minneapolis or Milwaukee being willing to live in such awful cities as Barcelona, Rome, Madrid, Istanbul or Athens. How dreadful that would be...

Not all NBA players live in the city they play for, and not all players who go overseas automatically get to go to one of those cities.

It is just as easy to say I can't imagine any player living in (whatever European cities) would be willing to live in awful cities like LA, NYC, or Miami.

there is tons of guys who love playing over seas. I mean lets take Ben Hasbro for example he chose more money to go to Europe instead of being a bench player in the NBA.

It would be a different story if he were drafted I bet. He did not choose Europe over being a bench player here. He chose Europe over an outside shot at being a bench player here. While there are many who would love to live over there, I bet there are just as many who absolutely would not.

pacer4ever
07-01-2011, 12:01 AM
HAPPY LOCKOUT!!!!!

Trophy
07-01-2011, 12:02 AM

I've been to 3 or the 5 you named and they really nice as were the people.

I took a cruise to Europe and all the countries I went to, the natives spoke fluent English. I was impressed with how broad the English language has become.

pacer4ever
07-01-2011, 12:05 AM
You must forget the comment that Ewing made back in 1998 during the lockout. "Yeah we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot too"

The superstars will feel the loss of money too. A check for $200K will be missed, I don't care if you are Lebron, as ewing said, yeah we make a lot but we spend a lot too

See i disagree here Lebron makes so much off endorsements he wont miss NBA money.

Any other superstar like Amare will miss the money because they don't make 20+m a year off endorsements like LBJ.

Trophy
07-01-2011, 12:06 AM
http://thenolookpass.com/Pix/stern2k12.jpg

Pacersalltheway10
07-01-2011, 12:30 AM

And if we keep things the way they are and only 2 or 3 teams win all the championships, the NBA is just going to be too boring to watch anymore.

Superteams=same champions every year= less interest in the NBA= NBA falling apart from lack of money coming in= NBA folds

Hicks
07-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Sometimes I wonder why I even get sucked into liking pro sports. Millionaires fighting with billionaires. A bunch of people who don't live in the real world.

Seeing all the sides in the NFL and NBA whine like they do during economic times like this is really sort of comical. I'm unsympathetic to all of them. If they are stupid enough to screw the golden situations they are in oh well, life will go on.

By the way, it is two lockouts... or three? I had never heard about this, but if you go to NBA.com right now and look at the Q&A towards the bottom left of the page, it mentions a 70-something day lockout in 1995???

imawhat
07-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Yep, and a 2-hour lockout in '96. We're at 4 now.

They had some great footage on NBA TV of the 98 lockout. They showed Antonio Davis and Al Harrington walking into NIFS and then working out.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-01-2011, 12:57 AM
I don't think we have to worry about Paul during this lockout.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8YNXzwxrt2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, is that possibly a mention of Danny displaying some leader qualities? Hmm.. Not to mention, I think that's Danny working next to PG at 3:31. So much for being lazy.

imawhat
07-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Danny Granger makes a very quick cameo at 3:30.

docpaul
07-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Put in that work, young fella. :)

Love Paul George. Love George Hill.

We've got the start of something special happening here, finally.

naptownmenace
07-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I think it's possible that an entire season will be missed. I didn't think that a couple of days ago but after reading how far apart the two sides are I think this upcoming season is in serious jeopardy.

Unlike the NFL, NBA players can easily go overseas and play exhibition games or even join a professional squad on a limited contracted basis. They actually have several money-making opportunities.

You can't tell me that an All-Star squad of players wouldn't be a big hit in London, Barcelona, or Shanghai. They could organize a global tour with set teams and play a 16 team tournament. Sponsors would line up to endorse it.

speakout4
07-01-2011, 04:15 PM

Yeah it sounds glamorous doesn't it? Let me know how it is after you have tried it for a couple of years.

Pingu
07-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah it sounds glamorous doesn't it? Let me know how it is after you have tried it for a couple of years.

What I was saying is that the difference in culture and language won't be what makes a difference to whether a NBA player decides to go play abroad during the lockout. Money is what will make the difference.

There are literally thousands of professional American basketball players playing overseas which means (1) that differences in language and culture aren't that big of a deal and (2) that an American player who signed with an overseas team (particularly a European team) would be bound to have at least a couple of American teammates, which would presumably contribute to making the language and culture difference less of a problem.

Hicks
07-01-2011, 05:00 PM
I still think a tougher luxury tax makes sense a compromise. Maybe lower the LT line, but definitely multiply the penalty.

Make the owners lay out the specific formula for calculating their annual losses, and, once that number is measurable every season, let all of the tax money collected each year go into a pool used to pay those losses off.