PDA

View Full Version : Denver Post: Nene to Opt Out

Lance George
06-30-2011, 12:04 AM
Nene will opt out of Nuggets contract, enter free agency - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_18380674)

Nene is set to officially become a free agent.

The Nuggets starting center will opt out of the final year of his contract and, as a result, become an unrestricted free agent, a source said Wednesday night. It means he can sign with any team he wishes without the Nuggets getting a chance to match the offer when free agency begins after the expected NBA lockout, which should begin on Friday.

Nene had until June 30 to make a final decision.

He was due to make around $12 million next season, which would have been the final year of a 6-year, $60 million contract he signed in 2006.

Nene is coming off arguably his best season in a Nuggets uniform, having averaged career highs in points (14.5) and field goal percentage (.615), and was near career highs in free throw percentage (.711) and rebounding (7.6). He holds the second-best career field goal percentage in Nuggets history at .587.

Nene has been with the Nuggets for nine seasons, since 2002. He's averaged 12.3 points and 6.9 rebounds over his career.

Chris Dempsey: 303-954-1279 or cdempsey@denverpost.com

Trophy
06-30-2011, 12:04 AM
:signit:

Hicks
06-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Good. I've cooled on him slightly, but I still would be happy if we picked him up as long as it wasn't an enormous deal.

Someone was saying in another thread he wanted DEN to give him $50m over 4 years. Is that true? If so, we should do that, or whatever the equivalent is with the new CBA, I think.

He's not a superstar or anything, but I think he'd be a great guy to have who would give us tremendous size by starting at PF next to Roy, and he can easily slide over the center when Roy sits.

He has his flaws, as most players do, but he'd be a big addition, I think.

vnzla81
06-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Nice, now we have a chance :)

Hicks
06-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Collison/Stephenson (or Price)
George/Hill
Granger/George
Nene/Hansbrough
Hibbert/Nene

Add another veteran big like Foster or Hayes, and maybe another wing (Kirilenko?), and you have an interesting team, I think.

vnzla81
06-30-2011, 12:21 AM
George/Hill
Granger/George
Nene/Hansbrough
Hibbert/Nene

Add another veteran big like Foster or Hayes, and maybe another wing (Kirilenko?), and you have an interesting team, I think.

That would be a pretty good team, who in the east would have a pair of 7 footers like that? I think we could beat the Bulls with that team, maybe Miami?

TheRifleman51
06-30-2011, 12:21 AM
:pray: Please God let this happen let us sign him and not kill our pockets

ChristianDudley
06-30-2011, 12:26 AM
:signit:

lol that was the exact post I was going to make haha. This is our guy, Larry!!!!!!

Well at least imo, this is the player that we need to sign. Max contract? No. But I would rather throw money at Nene than at David West, that is for sure.

daschysta
06-30-2011, 12:28 AM
I throw money at this guy before David West. We'd have our own mini twin towers.

If we sign nene were a 50 win team imo. He's a big part of the reason the nuggets stayed so good after trading anthony, and honestly were building our team in a similar way to how the nuggets were, with great depth instead of a singular star.

trailrunner
06-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Nene Hilario-ESPN
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1713/nene-hilario

This player will ask for and probably get 13.5-14 million per for 5 years. Career 12.3 PPG, 1 BPG, 6.9 RPG, PER =20.5. Not a dominant rebounder or shot blocker. Is he worth that money?

pacer4ever
06-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Nene Hilario-ESPN
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1713/nene-hilario

This player will ask for and probably get 13.5-14 million per for 5 years. Career 12.3 PPG, 1 BPG, 6.9 RPG, PER =20.5. Not a dominant rebounder or shot blocker. Is he worth that money?

no

daschysta
06-30-2011, 12:58 AM
He did have a career high in field goal percentage and rebounds last year, is huge, and despite not being a huge assits guy a pretty good defender. Noone in the east would be able to stop both nene and hibbert in the blocks, he'd get guys like collison and roy tons and tons of assists.

wintermute
06-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Someone was saying in another thread he wanted DEN to give him $50m over 4 years. Is that true? If so, we should do that, or whatever the equivalent is with the new CBA, I think.

No, that's the value of the extension he turned down with Denver.

He's asking for more, as trailrunner pointed out.

Psyren
06-30-2011, 01:02 AM
I'd love to have Nene.

ECKrueger
06-30-2011, 01:03 AM
I really don't want to pay him 14 million or whatever, but man oh man does he seem like a absolutely great fit.

I Love P
06-30-2011, 01:20 AM
George/Hill
Granger/George
Nene/Hansbrough
Hibbert/Nene

I read over that lineup and actually laughed cause it's that good. Get it Larry, get it.

daschysta
06-30-2011, 01:52 AM
If we got nene we could maybe win 50 games next year, which is more than the knicks, we'd be about as good as the hawks, and maybe the magic. Which isn't a bad thing when you take into account that were still quite young.

pacer4ever
06-30-2011, 02:25 AM
If we got nene we could maybe win 50 games next year, which is more than the knicks, we'd be about as good as the hawks, and maybe the magic. Which isn't a bad thing when you take into account that were still quite young.

We would be the Hawks 2.0 but with more potential because we have a better pg and a young player in George with potential.

croz24
06-30-2011, 03:14 AM
so nene's worth more than granger suddenly? uhhh no. i understand value in quality bigs and how much they tend to go for on the market, but in no world is nene's contribution to a basketball court worth anywhere close to $14m per season.

CooperManning
06-30-2011, 03:19 AM
I like Nene, but 7.6 boards/game for the last two seasons? How does he not get more than that?

I Love P
06-30-2011, 03:23 AM
I like Nene, but 7.6 boards/game for the last two seasons? How does he not get more than that?

My guess is that he likes to get out and run the floor?

CableKC
06-30-2011, 03:33 AM
Throughout his entire career...he has never averaged more then 7.8 Rebounds and hasn't blocked more then 1 block in any of his 9 seasons.

If many are going to dismiss David West for SIMILAR REBOUNDING and ShotBlocking #s and want to throw near MAX $$$ at Nene....I know that #s aren't the whole story...but someone is really going to have to convince me that there is more to Nene's defense then his pedestrian David West-Like rebounding and shotblocking for a 6'11" Big Man.

I always assumed that he'd be a Dale Davis Like Big Man due to his sheer size and ( I assume ) strength...but these were all assumptions.....is he the Smashmouth Frontcourt Player that we want banging inside the paint against the likes of Noah and Boozer?

pacer4ever
06-30-2011, 03:35 AM
so nene's worth more than granger suddenly? uhhh no. i understand value in quality bigs and how much they tend to go for on the market, but in no world is nene's contribution to a basketball court worth anywhere close to $14m per season.

they sad thing is some team will probably give him that much.

LetsTalkPacers
06-30-2011, 03:35 AM
"MikeWellsNBA: pacers tried to get nene a couple years ago"
--http://www.twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA/status/86335217702404097

Lance George
06-30-2011, 04:14 AM
I wouldn't give him $14M per, but I'd be o.k. with 5/$55M with incentives knocking it up to around 5/$60M.

Interesting stat: Nene has the 11th best career FG% in ABA/NBA history (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/fg_pct_career.html), and 4th best amongst active players (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/fg_pct_active.html), behind Shaq, Dwight Howard and (barely) Tyson Chandler. After years of watching J.O. and Roy shoot sub-.500, it'd be nice to have a big man who knows how to throw it down.

CableKC
06-30-2011, 04:22 AM
they sad thing is some team will probably give him that much.
Between the Pacers or Nets giving $$$ to either David West or Nene...if we had to overpay a Player....I'd choose to overpay Nene over West.

daschysta
06-30-2011, 04:39 AM
You have to overpay to get anyone decent, the key is not vastly overpaying a bum ala what we were doing with troy murphy and to a lesser extent dunleavey. Everyone but the biggest stars are typically overpayed it's just reality, especially when paying a big.

CooperManning
06-30-2011, 04:54 AM
I'm willing to overpay someone we can get 70-82 games per season out of for the length of their contract. I'm just not sure who's a bigger role of the dice, Nene or West. Of the two -- if Nene can play the 4 and the 5 equally well (can he?) I think Pacers have to go Nene.

pacer4ever
06-30-2011, 04:58 AM
I'm willing to overpay someone we can get 70-82 games per season out of for the length of their contract. I'm just not sure who's a bigger role of the dice, Nene or West. Of the two -- if Nene can play the 4 and the 5 equally well (can he?) I think Pacers have to go Nene.

I have never seen Nene play the PF for extend mintues it would be a huge gamble. Roy would have to work on his high post game which was poor last year. Nene is a low post banger who can run the floor and is some what athletic.

CooperManning
06-30-2011, 05:13 AM
Here's my Nene rotation, if anyone cares:

-------------(#s = minutes)
1 - Collison 32, Hill 10, Lance 6
2 - George 18, Hill 20, Rush 10
3 - Granger 35, George 13
4 - Nene 20, Tyler 28
5 - Hibbert 29, Nene 11, Foster 8

Starters:
DC
PG
Danny
Nene
Roy

First sub:
DC
Hill
Danny
Tyler
Nene

Second sub:
Hill
Rush
PG
Tyler
Roy

Put Foster in when Roy or Nene need a breather and give Lance a little run whenever it feels right.

HeliumFear
06-30-2011, 05:18 AM
Does Nene have a jump shot? If no,we can't play him next to Hibbert. 1 of the two would need to knock down a jumper consistently.

Edit: Oddly enough,I think I'd feel more comfortable with signing West.

Pacemaker
06-30-2011, 05:21 AM
George/Hill
Granger/George
Nene/Hansbrough
Hibbert/Nene

I'd love Kirilenko for the right price is a good defender!

pacer4ever
06-30-2011, 05:23 AM
George/Hill
Granger/George
Nene/Hansbrough
Hibbert/Nene

This team looks like Denver post Melo no stars just 10 solid players crazy deep.

Pacemaker
06-30-2011, 05:31 AM
Nene and Dwight were the only centers to average at least 1 steal and 1 block per game last season.:pray:

Stats by Centers:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/byposition?pos=C&conference=NBA&year=season_2010&sort=37&qualified=1

ilive4sports
06-30-2011, 05:38 AM
I really like Nene. Don't really like him at $14 mil a season. Hopefully with the new CBA that would be knocked down a bit.

jpatt34
06-30-2011, 06:32 AM
I like Nene a lot. He's only 28 which is not bad at all. We have a young core right now and with the addition of him it would make us a lot better on
D and O. I just wouldn't want to fork out that much money for a career 12 and 7 player. Hansbrough averaged 11 and 5 essentially his first year. And this will be his first summer to actually get better. I don;t have many suggestions but we really need a mean gritty defensive minded backup center for less then 10 mill. I would much rather spend the money there.

The Jackson shimmy
06-30-2011, 06:32 AM
I really like Nene. Don't really like him at $14 mil a season. Hopefully with the new CBA that would be knocked down a bit.

Even if it's knocked down a bit, wouldn't it be likely that it'd be a
similar % of the total cap $$ ?

I forget what the existing cap is. But for example, $11m per
to Nene with a $50m cap is no better than $14m with a $65m cap.

The Jackson shimmy
06-30-2011, 06:37 AM
I like Nene a lot. He's only 28 which is not bad at all. We have a young core right now and with the addition of him it would make us a lot better on
D and O. I just wouldn't want to fork out that much money for a career 12 and 7 player. Hansbrough averaged 11 and 5 essentially his first year. And this will be his first summer to actually get better. I don;t have many suggestions but we really need a mean gritty defensive minded backup center. I would much rather spend the money there.

Maybe Noah has a long, lost twin. He may be a dick, but I can't
think of anyone in the league who'd fit at 4/5 better with Hibbs
than Noah.

There just aren't many guys in the NBA these days who get done
what a guy like Dale Davis got down a decade ago.

For the record, I'm with whomever suggested Kwame Brown in
another thread. He fits the mold and he'd be CHEAP.

ensergio
06-30-2011, 07:15 AM
After reading this: http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=nba&id=den&tid=8725603&lid=9 i decided that i don't want it.

Speed
06-30-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm surprised both guys opted out, there new deal is going to be under the new CBA either way, so why not get paid nicely for that one year.

I think they are going to be disappointed about how much they think they'll get under the new rules. I could be wrong obviously since we don't know how it will work.

It seems like that they'll want "franchise player" money, but even if they get that under the new agreement, it might not be that much, relatively.

I wonder if its their agents prompting them to do it, so they get paid for a longer term contract for representing them.

Speed
06-30-2011, 07:41 AM
After reading this: http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=nba&id=den&tid=8725603&lid=9 i decided that i don't want it.

Wow thats not my impression of him, that he is softish. Maybe Nene isn't at the top of my list if this banter is true, especially if he expects to get paid like he's your best player. I think of him a very strong, physical type who plays above average defense. Maybe thats not what he is consistently enough.

It is a general message board that anybody can post on, but it seemed to be a consistent theme.

D-BONE
06-30-2011, 07:45 AM
Really like Nene as a player, but these salary expectations (Nene/West) seem really exorbitant, especially with the injury uncertainty. Although, Nene has played most of the last couple seasons.

Still, I'm nervous about committing to either guy financially. How about adding Chuck Hayes and Kwame or Nazr? Get the toughness, not the scoring. But, at least you know what you're getting relative to what your paying.

Pacemaker
06-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Really like Nene as a player, but these salary expectations (Nene/West) seem really exorbitant, especially with the injury uncertainty. Although, Nene has played most of the last couple seasons.

Still, I'm nervous about committing to either guy financially. How about adding Chuck Hayes and Kwame or Nazr? Get the toughness, not the scoring. But, at least you know what you're getting relative to what your paying.

Nazr signed again with the Thunder a few days ago.

D-BONE
06-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Nazr signed again with the Thunder a few days ago.

Well, make that Kwame then. Thanks for the info.

ensergio
06-30-2011, 08:12 AM

This. I don't want the Pacers as the new Pistons (Villanueva and Gordon). Let's sign Hayes, Brown or Kirilenko. Let's practice toughness and defense and let it go.

D-BONE
06-30-2011, 08:21 AM
This. I don't want the Pacers as the new Pistons (Villanueva and Gordon). Lrt's sign Hayes, Brown or Kirilenko. Let's practice toughness and defense and let it go.

Yeah, Kirilenko's worth a look IF he's HEALTHY and price is right.

90'sNBARocked
06-30-2011, 08:47 AM
George/Hill
Granger/George
Nene/Hansbrough
Hibbert/Nene

You really think they are just going to hand the SG spot to George?

Im calling it right now fam, I thnk Hill starts

Really?
06-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Humphries as well, not as worried about his 1 productive year as much as others are... His per36 stats over the years have been fairly consistent... the big thing last year was the increase in his FG%

Really?
06-30-2011, 09:03 AM
You really think they are just going to hand the SG spot to George?

Im calling it right now fam, I thnk Hill starts

I thought that at first also... but now I think Hill has a better chance to start at the 1 than 2...

PacerGuy
06-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Points made/ Need made Re: Nene Signing

-Nene vs West (age, injury history, production, fit need, $, "recruiting chip?") who is the best "fit" with our Future plans?
-Can Nene be affective as a PF? If he cannot, is he worth it? (I say No!).
-Could we still afford another "Star" (EJ, other?) & still resign our own core (Roy/DC/Tyler) who is up in the next 2 yrs? (if not, I sat No)
-I agree 110% with not wanting us to do a DET & sign guys because we have noney & are not the right players or the right fit!
-If not West or Nene, who would be option 3? Prive vs. fit, are they better?
-W/ D.Howard the only East dominate big, & CHI & MIA as the team to beat & w/o dominate "bigs", is Nene the right player (fit) to help us win?

Just say'n/ ask'n...

PacerGuy
06-30-2011, 09:20 AM
I thought that at first also... but now I think Hill has a better chance to start at the 1 than 2...

IMO Hill is use to coming off the bench & we should start off keeping him that way. We can always adjust as the season goes on, but no need to rock the boat to start with. In the end, no matter what unit he plays with, he will likely play "starter min's" so I don't see it as an issue.

Lou Bega
06-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Nene will get beat out by Tyler Hansbrough.

Jimmy
06-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Nene will get beat out by Tyler Hansbrough.

I think Tyler is going to have a great offseason and will be close enough to West and Nene that I don't think it is worth the money. He's working on his left hand and he had a great playoff series against boozer. He will come in next year much improved and ready to prove himself.

Nene is not a game changer and isn't someone to go to at the end of games. Hansbrough is more aggressive and can get in other players heads. Nene is not worth the money (12+). I am wandering if we should keep the money with all of our rookie deals expiring and the big 2012 free agency class. Instead of barely improving a position if we wait until 2012 we'd have a chance to significantly improve a position.

Pacerized
06-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Nene is by far my first choice of available big men. His recent health history has been solid. The odds of Nene playing 75 + games next season at a high level next season are far greater then West. I think Nene would be more effective at PF then he is at center and he's still a good option at center. I say overpay if we have to but get an offer to him as soon as the new cba is in effect.

graphic-er
06-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Nene's lack of high volume rebounding concerns me, is this dude lazy or something? 7 rebounds a game? And he wants 14 million a year average? Good player, but he's not Tyson Chandler.

Justin Tyme
06-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Is he worth that money?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I still believe 5 year contracts and Bird rights will be a thing of the past with a new CBA.

vnzla81
06-30-2011, 10:14 AM
I would like to know if Nene's numbers PPG and RPG were affected in big part because he was playing with a ball hog in Melo and the system doesn't put much enphasis on the bigs, I would bet that a guy like Nene in another system could average like 20/10.

daschysta
06-30-2011, 10:23 AM
I think Tyler is going to have a great offseason and will be close enough to West and Nene that I don't think it is worth the money. He's working on his left hand and he had a great playoff series against boozer. He will come in next year much improved and ready to prove himself.

Nene is not a game changer and isn't someone to go to at the end of games. Hansbrough is more aggressive and can get in other players heads. Nene is not worth the money (12+). I am wandering if we should keep the money with all of our rookie deals expiring and the big 2012 free agency class. Instead of barely improving a position if we wait until 2012 we'd have a chance to significantly improve a position.

Are you being sarcastic? Outside of one game Tyler had an awful series. He averaged 11 and 5 in over 30 minutes per game and shot 33 percent from the field, along with almost twice as many turnovers as assists and no blocks period. As for more aggressive... that leads to as many 2-13 nights as it does 30 point nights, it's a double edged sword and hans isn't the type to go to late in games anyway as he can't really create a shot on his own.

vnzla81
06-30-2011, 10:24 AM
http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/05/03/nene-would-be-intriguing-addition-to-market/#more-8316

There are conflicting reports in the Denver Post about the future of Nene, who has an early-termination option that would allow him to forgo the $11.6 million he could make in Denver next season and become a free agent this summer. The paper reported over the weekend that the team and its center could work out a three-year extension, but in Tuesday’s edition, Nene sounds like he is leaning toward opting out and testing the market.

You can’t blame anyone for the indecision, especially considering the uncertain nature of the next collective bargaining agreement. A call to Nene’s agent, Dan Fegan, was not immediately returned.

As I watch the playoffs — and especially the Grizzlies — I find myself wondering if Nene’s value would be rising in a theoretical (and nonexistent) world in which the collective bargaining agreement stays the same. There are so few big men who can bully you at the rim on offense and be at least a neutral presence on defense. There are a lot of great two-way power forwards left in the playoffs — Zach Randolph, Chris Bosh, Al Horford (who starts at center for Atlanta), Kevin Garnett, Josh Smith, Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, Serge Ibaka — but few have the beef of a center, and Ibaka is still unpolished offensively. There are also a few center types who can shove people around the post on defense but don’t do much offensively — Kendrick Perkins, for instance.

This is why Memphis is causing such problems. The Grizzlies have two guys with the bulk of a true center and the ability to contribute on both ends. Marc Gasol isn’t an offensive stud on Randolph’s level, but he’s big, he has touch and he can score in a variety of ways. Randolph isn’t a top-flight defender, but the numbers show he is better than his reputation, and the Grizzlies continue to be a stingy defensive club even as teams try to attack Randolph on pick-and-pops and other plays designed to get him moving. At worst, he’s a neutral presence, not a liability.

Nene is his own entity, but he’s another true big man — a center — who can help on both ends. If there’s a knock on his offensive game, it’s that he has never shown he can carry an attack, and he’s not a back-to-the-basket beast who can score easily in isolation. Not much changed after Denver dealt Carmelo Anthony, either. Nene attempted 8.7 shots per game before the trade and 8.8 after the trade. His field-goal percentage fell from about 62 percent before the trade to 57 percent afterward, but you’d take that latter mark in a second. His free throws went up, and he used about 22 percent of Denver’s possessions, compared to about 19 percent for the full season.

In other words: Nene took on more of a burden after Anthony’s departure, but not enough of one to suggest he could ever do what Randolph has done for Memphis’ offense in the last two weeks. He scores more off cuts, and even his post-up chances usually come after some quick-hitting motion has allowed him to get deep position.

Still, if Nene does opt out, he will probably end up the best player on the market. Unfortunately for him, the most attractive potential suitors — i.e. contenders, or teams with nice foundations — either lack the cap space to sign Nene or a hole in the middle for him to fill.

One intriguing exception might be Houston. The Rockets could get their 2011-12 salary commitments down to about $46 million if they renounce all their free agents, including Yao Ming and Chuck Hayes. Of course, the Rockets love Hayes, and they will also have to set aside money for two first-round picks in the June draft unless they deal one. And we have no idea if the next salary cap will fall close to this season’s $58 million figure.

Here’s a quick list of a few other teams that might have the resources and desire to pursue Nene as a free agent. Keep in mind that Denver can also sign-and-trade Nene, which would open up a pile of other options.

• Golden State: The Warriors are openly lusting after centers (and openly criticizing poor Andris Biedrins, who is certainly not poor in the financial sense), but they are handicapped here by the fact that Charlie Bell and Lou Amundson have options to return next season for nearly $7 million combined. If they exercise those options, the Warriors’ cap number will be around $48 million. That may not leave enough space to make a true run at Nene, depending on how the CBA shakes out. (The $48 million number also doesn’t include money for draft picks and charges for empty roster spots.)

• Detroit: Another possible fool’s gold case, as the Pistons could really only work their way down to about $48 million — and that’s if they decide to part with Rodney Stuckey, perhaps the most divisive restricted free agent set to hit the market. Things could change a bit if they could somehow unload Richard Hamilton and take back less salary in return. There could be fit and spacing issues with the Nene/Greg Monroe pairing, but the Pistons need size badly.

• Toronto: The Raptors have hopefully given up on the notion that Andrea Bargnani can be a real NBA center on the glass. Nene, though not an elite rebounder, could work as an intriguing banger next to Bargnani. The Raptors could cut down to about $47 million for next season if they renounce their free agents (Julian Wright, Sonny Weems and Joey Dorsey), and they could slash further if they find a taker for Leandro Barbosa’s expiring contract. Who knows if they could ever persuade Nene to sign there, especially given the current front-office uncertainty, but it’s an interesting thought.

• Minnesota: The Wolves should have a ton of cap room. I’ll stop there.

• Sacramento: The Kings should have enough cap room to sign two Nenes, but they barely spent last season, and they have to take care of Marcus Thornton and perhaps decide how much Samuel Dalembert might be worth. Of course, if you can get Nene, you wave goodbye to Dalembert in a second. The presence of DeMarcus Cousins might bring some positional overlap issues, too.

At this point, the what-if game becomes a little ridiculous. What if Tim Duncan retires, freeing up cap space in San Antonio? What if David West decides, for some crazy reason, to opt out in New Orleans even though he’s going to miss a huge chunk of next season with a serious knee injury? What if Boris Diaw drinks too much wine one summer night and decides to opt out of his $9 million option in Charlotte? What if the Hawks, all of a sudden on fire, decide to work a sign-and-trade involving Smith? (Note: Before Atlanta’s playoff run, I really liked this possibility — which is just speculation on my part.)

The general point is that the free-agent market is not overrun with easy fits, particularly because some teams with potential cap space either have young centers they like or are gunning for the 2012 class that could include Dwight Howard and Chris Paul. The Clippers and Nets fit both those criteria, though signing Nene doesn’t take you out of the 2012 bidding if you think a sign-and-trade for one of those superstars is possible.

What an interesting spot for Nene — a player good enough, and unusual enough, to affect the balance of power in the league at least a bit.

Lou Bega
06-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Tyler can bounce back it was his first ever NBA playoff series. Tyler is a winner. Remember he came back as a SR @ NC just to win a national title and accomplished that.

I am in the camp that Tyler is going to outwork anybody in the gym. I love his & PG mentality. They are hard workers and will grow into starters on the eastern conference all star team & bring a championship trophy to INDY!!!!

MillerTime
06-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Havent his injuries over the past few years limited him to playing???

PacerPenguins
06-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Tyler can bounce back it was his first ever NBA playoff series. Tyler is a winner. Remember he came back as a SR @ NC just to win a national title and accomplished that.

I am in the camp that Tyler is going to outwork anybody in the gym. I love his & PG mentality. They are hard workers and will grow into starters on the eastern conference all star team & bring a championship trophy to INDY!!!!

it was basically tylers rookie year and he produced very well... but getting another strong 7 foot big man next to Roy would be amazing.

Justin Tyme
06-30-2011, 10:33 AM
I would like to know if Nene's numbers PPG and RPG were affected in big part because he was playing with a ball hog in Melo and the system doesn't put much enphasis on the bigs, I would bet that a guy like Nene in another system could average like 20/10.

I'll take that bet. I don't envision Nene as a 20/10 player. AND definately not interested in paying him 14 mil for 5 years. In fact, I don't want to see more than 4 year contracts unless the last year or 2 is team options. My preference with contracts are 3 years or 4 years with the last year a team option. If guaranteed contracts are to be in the new CBA, then nothing longer than 4 years and no Bird rights. 4 year contracts have the last year as a team option. NO more albatross contracts!!

daschysta
06-30-2011, 10:34 AM

I didn't say he couldn't bounce back, but there is no way to spin it into a good series period.

Also hard work and hyperbole about his legend don't make him into anything but an average starter, even if he averaged 20 points per game there are huge glaring holes in his game, which would be largely hidden with a bench role. Tyler is very easy to shut down right now, he has the jumper but can't make offense when opponents close out on him, this is true of almost all of his big games, he can't really beat most athletic 4's off of the dribble, he is an awful passer and shotblocker and gets lost constantly on defense. He's a hardworker and he'll get the most out of his potential, but these glaring problems mean alot more than your hyperbole... He's not a starter on a good team unless every single other starter is better than him.

Really?
06-30-2011, 10:35 AM
IMO Hill is use to coming off the bench & we should start off keeping him that way. We can always adjust as the season goes on, but no need to rock the boat to start with. In the end, no matter what unit he plays with, he will likely play "starter min's" so I don't see it as an issue.

Yeah, I am thinking a lot of that will be determined in training camp... but like you said he will play starter minutes most likely so it doesn't matter as much.. I would like to see him play with an athletic group though.. I think he would shine in that setting...

daschysta
06-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I am thinking a lot of that will be determined in training camp... but like you said he will play starter minutes most likely so it doesn't matter as much.. I would like to see him play with an athletic group though.. I think he would shine in that setting...

He isn't a point guard on offense though. He won't be starting at the one, if people complain about collisons playmaking skills then i'm sure theyd love george's nonexistant ones...

He's a two on offense, period. He plays around 30 mpg and averages 2 assists. As a starter, even at pg he's averaged around 4 assists in 35 or so minutes. It's not his game.

Really?
06-30-2011, 10:45 AM
He isn't a point guard on offense though. He won't be starting at the one, if people complain about collisons playmaking skills then i'm sure theyd love george's nonexistant ones...

He's a two on offense, period. He plays around 30 mpg and averages 2 assists. As a starter, even at pg he's averaged around 4 assists in 35 or so minutes. It's not his game.

Don't let stats block your vision, they come not only by the by the players ability but the way that he is used...

But like I said we will see in time, and all that will be determined in training camp...

vnzla81
06-30-2011, 10:54 AM
I'll take that bet. I don't envision Nene as a 20/10 player. AND definately not interested in paying him 14 mil for 5 years. In fact, I don't want to see more than 4 year contracts unless the last year or 2 is team options. My preference with contracts are 3 years or 4 years with the last year a team option. If guaranteed contracts are to be in the new CBA, then nothing longer than 4 years and no Bird rights. 4 year contracts have the last year as a team option. NO more albatross contracts!!

My thing with the George Karl system is that he likes to take shots before the big mens are in place to rebound, Melo,JR,Al and everybody else are told to jack up shots at any time.

Shade
06-30-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm honestly surprised by how many players are opting out of their contracts with a lockout looming. Don't they almost certainly stand to make less under a new CBA?

odeez
06-30-2011, 11:28 AM
I'd take Nene no doubt. If the deal is right I say we go for it! I like his versatility to play the 4 or 5. I do wonder a bit about his shot though. But overall he would be nice addition to have on the team, IMO.

Bury Your Dead
06-30-2011, 11:30 AM
I really think Nene would be the right choice, with Hansbrough coming off the bench and being the scoring power forward. We need that Dale Davis type force underneath the basket. That IMO would be Nene.

RLeWorm
06-30-2011, 11:30 AM
ill say it now, if we sign Nene we will be contenders.

PacerPenguins
06-30-2011, 11:33 AM
ill say it now, if we sign Nene we will be contenders.

no doubt..... if we get nene the 3 year plan worked and larry did his job.

Steagles
06-30-2011, 11:52 AM
What am I not seeing in this guy that everyone else is?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Trader Joe
06-30-2011, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't spend a dime on this year's free agents. Nene included.

Really?
06-30-2011, 12:00 PM
What am I not seeing in this guy that everyone else is?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

I will take a stab at it... but first what are you seeing?

PacerPenguins
06-30-2011, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't spend a dime on this year's free agents. Nene included.

because you only have a nickel

rm14
06-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Don't know if something similar has been posted but here's what I have heard. Now take it for what it's worth (which may be nothing), but a friend of a friend works for the pacers. He said on draft night that the pacers have a plan for this offseason and next which consists of putting all our efforts into Nene this off season, and then offering a huge deal to Eric Gordon next summer.

Like I said, take it for what it's worth but I really am a fan of this plan.

Since86
06-30-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm honestly surprised by how many players are opting out of their contracts with a lockout looming. Don't they almost certainly stand to make less under a new CBA?

Probably because there will be roll backs league wide. They don't have any control over that.

If they're FA, they atleast get to negiotate their pay and maybe they think they'll be able to get more with a new deal than having their old one rolled back 30%, or whatever that number is gonna be.

But then again, I don't know why college players left early for the draft.

PacerPenguins
06-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Don't know if something similar has been posted but here's what I have heard. Now take it for what it's worth (which may be nothing), but a friend of a friend works for the pacers. He said on draft night that the pacers have a plan for this offseason and next which consists of putting all our efforts into Nene this off season, and then offering a huge deal to Eric Gordon next summer.

:dance::pineapple:carrot::yay2:

Shade
06-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Probably because there will be roll backs league wide. They don't have any control over that.

If they're FA, they atleast get to negiotate their pay and maybe they think they'll be able to get more with a new deal than having their old one rolled back 30%, or whatever that number is gonna be.

But then again, I don't know why college players left early for the draft.

Why would a new deal be immune from rollbacks while older ones would not? Seems like both contracts would fall under the old CBA.

jpatt34
06-30-2011, 12:19 PM
This discussion would't even be here if we drafted Faried. Not to say we did bad in the draft at all but we already have combos and pg's. I think Faried is going to be a dominant rebounder and defender. We need a back up\starting PF not guards. ONCE AGAIN I am not downing Hill we just threw more eggs in a chicken coup.

owl
06-30-2011, 12:20 PM
I have several points to make about Nene

1--If there is no season(strong possibility) opting out is not a big risk
2--Signing with a team with more cap space allows a team to offer a better per year contract
2--Nene it a close to perfect fit for the Pacers. Why in the article above are the Pacers not even listed?

"Still, if Nene does opt out, he will probably end up the best player on the market. Unfortunately for him, the most attractive potential suitors — i.e. contenders, or teams with nice foundations — either lack the cap space to sign Nene or a hole in the middle for him to fill.:"

I think the Pacers have a great foundation and capspace and are a playoff team for sure with Nene and possible contender as the team matures.

Since86
06-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Why would a new deal be immune from rollbacks while older ones would not? Seems like both contracts would fall under the old CBA.

His new contract would fall under the new CBA wouldn't it? The lockout and FA period start at the same time, so any contract he signs would be under the new one.

Sparhawk
06-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Nene would be a nice signing, but I've never really seen him play. Doesn't rebound the ball well and isn't a shot blocker. Why are people so enamored with him? I'm not sure I'd want the Pacers to spend over $10M on a guy that seems just slightly above average.

owl
06-30-2011, 12:29 PM

That is a great plan. Really who else fills the bill better, that is even remotely a possible option, that could help the Pacers more?

A.B.Hollywood
06-30-2011, 12:33 PM
For me it boils down to something like this:

Nene at 14 million over 5 or 6 years

or David West at 8 million and Kirilenko at 6 million for 3 or 4 years

I'll take the latter and run with it.

We continue to make these statements "all being equal" here but the reality is they absolutely are not equal. Not by a long shot.

The highest paid player on this team BETTER be a superstar. Period. Nene for all the value he'd bring and true nice fit he'd make isn't that guy.

A.B.Hollywood
06-30-2011, 12:39 PM
That is a great plan. Really who else fills the bill better, that is even remotely a possible option, that could help the Pacers more?

If we have to sign Nene to something like 14 Mill per season this likely isn't possible. Not if this also means re-upping our current young crop (including the newly acquired Hill).

And as a Hoosier fan I'd LOVE this but I just don't see how we can make it work unless the new CBA is very generous and the Pacers brass magically have more excess cash.

LetsTalkPacers
06-30-2011, 12:44 PM
dollar for dollar Id still like to get Dalembert

pacergod2
06-30-2011, 12:59 PM
I think a lot of these guys who are opting out realize there is more money out there to be had this year, so being the better playersin this class, they will command more money than they would next year being tenth fiddle to the crop next year. Plus, if Nene gets a deal starting anywhere from 10-12M he wins because teams likely won't pay him more than that starting next year when they drop $20M on Dwight and DWill and CP3 and much better players. I know those numbers would be adjusted for a new CBA, but its the general idea here.

A huge point, IMO, is that if we got Nene and resigned Jeff, our offensive rebounding would improve drastically and was a major downfall of our team last year.

I would love to get Nene on the kind of deal he just came off of... 5 years $60M (or 4 years at $48-50M if there are 4 year max deals now). I would love Chandler too, but I could see him staying in Dallas. Cuban will pay him.

CableKC
06-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Wow thats not my impression of him, that he is softish. Maybe Nene isn't at the top of my list if this banter is true, especially if he expects to get paid like he's your best player. I think of him a very strong, physical type who plays above average defense. Maybe thats not what he is consistently enough.

It is a general message board that anybody can post on, but it seemed to be a consistent theme.
Again, this is what I am getting at......he doesn't really put up any good Rebounding nor shotblocking #s that I am looking for in a Big Man. For all concerns about getting a Player like Kris Humphries....he even puts up better rebounding and shotblocking #s then Nene EVER has in his entire career.

But as I asked....is Nene one of those Big Men that does a lot of things on the defensive end that do not show up on the Stat sheets?

I ( just like you and anyone else ) assumes that just because he is big and takes up space that he'd just naturally be a Dale Davis bruiser on the defensive end....but for those that have actually watched him play....does he actually do those things on the defensive end that we are looking for?

I get the sense that he is actually a very solid low post offensive scorer....but the question is how effective is he on the Defensive end.

mildlysane
06-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Again, we need a rebounder/defender to pair up with Hibbs. Nene is neither of these....how is he "the perfect fit?" You sign Nene and we STILL need a rebounder/defender at the 4. Are we just gonna try and outscore everyone? Not exactly smashmouth...

A.B.Hollywood
06-30-2011, 02:56 PM

It would need to be a S&T with Granger for Gordon then. And considering their need for a SF thats not *too* crazy. But us signing nene to this level of deal and then re-upping our current young crop doesn't leave enough money for Gordon by my calculations.

But with Granger off the books it would. Holy hell this 6 man lineup would be SICK!

PG - Collison / George Hill
SG - Eric Gordon / George Hill
SF - Paul George
PF - Nene
C - Hibbert

We'd also still have some excess cash to throw at maybe a Kirilenko or Boris Diaw the next year. Man oh man.

Unclebuck
06-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Many of you are taking his 7.6 rebounds per game out of context. You cannot just look at the average and not look at the whole picture. Who else is on his team, what system of defense do the Nuggets play. George Karl plays a switching double teaming style of defense which will naturally lower a big guys rebounding totals because nene is often switched onto a smaller guy and or he is out of the lane trying to play defense, so sure his rebound totoals are going to be less.

Plus Nene only averaged 30 minutes per game, which isn't veryu much for a starter. He did average 9 rebs per game in the playoffs when he played 32.5 minutes per game.

Also the fact that he plays alongside Kenyon martin is a huge factor - there are only so many rebounds to go around. KMart averaged 9 rebounds, Chris Andersen averaged 6.5 rebs.

Sure if you are Kevin Love and play on the Wolves it is easier to average 15 rebounds per game when the next best rebounder on the team averages 5. (not suggested that Nene is as good a rebounder as Love)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think nene is a great rebounder, but he is better IMO than his stats indicate. if you don't want to sign him, fine, but don't base it on his rebounding stat

Having said that Nene is foul prone, and he plays smaller than his listed height.

I would say he is extremely aggressive, but not really a banger.

He'd be a really nice fit, but no he isn't Chandler

TheDon
06-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Humphries as well, not as worried about his 1 productive year as much as others are... His per36 stats over the years have been fairly consistent... the big thing last year was the increase in his FG%

I say we just sign his girlfriend to a contract.

A.B.Hollywood
06-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Many of you are taking his 7.6 rebounds per game out of context. You cannot just look at the average and not look at the whole picture. Who else is on his team, what system of defense do the Nuggets play. George Karl plays a switching double teaming style of defense which will naturally lower a big guys rebounding totals because nene is often switched onto a smaller guy and or he is out of the lane trying to play defense, so sure his rebound totoals are going to be less.

Plus Nene only averaged 30 minutes per game, which isn't veryu much for a starter. He did average 9 rebs per game in the playoffs when he played 32.5 minutes per game.

Also the fact that he plays alongside Kenyon martin is a huge factor - there are only so many rebounds to go around. KMart averaged 9 rebounds, Chris Andersen averaged 6.5 rebs.

Sure if you are Kevin Love and play on the Wolves it is easier to average 15 rebounds per game when the next best rebounder on the team averages 5. (not suggested that Nene is as good a rebounder as Love)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think nene is a great rebounder, but he is better IMO than his stats indicate. if you don't want to sign him, fine, but don't base it on his rebounding stat

Having said that Nene is foul prone, and he plays smaller than his listed height.

Excellent point. The end number here is not the end all be all. The pace the Nuggets ran is also an indicator. A comparison here for rebounding points would be Amare. Who I believe could easily be a 10+ rebounder but they pace keeps him from having that. Nene has the size and body to be a better rebounder for us for sure. I think a 15/9 type season is reasonable.

I still don't think that justifies the cost though.

McKeyFan
06-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Are you being sarcastic? Outside of one game Tyler had an awful series. He averaged 11 and 5 in over 30 minutes per game and shot 33 percent from the field, along with almost twice as many turnovers as assists and no blocks period. As for more aggressive... that leads to as many 2-13 nights as it does 30 point nights, it's a double edged sword and hans isn't the type to go to late in games anyway as he can't really create a shot on his own.
He never said a word about it.

But . . .

He played GREAT, then not so good, right after Thomas busted him in the temple, a known trouble-area for Hans. He doubled over while walking to the locker room, almost like he was nauseous.

Hard to say, but I think he may not have played the following four games on all cylinders.

daschysta
06-30-2011, 03:48 PM
He never said a word about it.

But . . .

He played GREAT, then not so good, right after Thomas busted him in the temple, a known trouble-area for Hans. He doubled over while walking to the locker room, almost like he was nauseous.

Hard to say, but I think he may not have played the following four games on all cylinders.

It's possible, but i'm skeptical. I mean the real difference I saw is thibs having his team chase hans off of that midranged jumper, which was almost all of his offense. A credit to him and his work ethic that he improved it so much, but when guys get out on him he doesn't have the length to elevate, and he isn't getting to the line as much since he's been more of a jump shooter since getting more minutes.

trailrunner
06-30-2011, 05:24 PM

We could not afford her!;)

Really?
06-30-2011, 05:42 PM

Yeah she will probably bring out more fans than him...

daschysta
06-30-2011, 05:44 PM

Great post, that denver team was so balanced, Carmello Anthony is also an excellent rebounder at the 3 position.He's not great, but he's not worse than roy at rebounding like the numbers make it appear, i'd say they are both averageish.

If we can't get a chandlereque player I think nene is about the best we can do this summer. If we can get him, and pull off the granger sign and trade right for EJ as pg is coming into his own for his third season then man, we may be really good quicker than you would think.

Plus remember how many sweet easy hoops roy got for DC cutting to the hole last year? Nene would get tons and tons of easy baskets and he's obviously an elite finisher around the rim. We started to show signs of being a good defensive team last year, and Nene is a better defender than Tyler imo, we can still be a real good defensive team with him in the lineup, and the guy is a beast on the offensive end around the rim.

Kraut N Beer
06-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Yeah she will probably bring out more fans than him...

I think if the Pacers signed Humphries, they would create a whole new revenue stream via the Kardashian family and their entourage through ticket and gear sales.

trailrunner
06-30-2011, 05:49 PM
I think this guy might make more sense and is certainly more cost effective. RPG, BPG, and PER almost identical to Nene and as a starter 16 PPG and 10RPG. He is only 26 years old, costs 7.6 million for 2 years and is on the trading block.

Milsap- ESPN

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3015/paul-millsap

A.B.Hollywood
06-30-2011, 06:27 PM
It's possible, but i'm skeptical. I mean the real difference I saw is thibs having his team chase hans off of that midranged jumper, which was almost all of his offense. A credit to him and his work ethic that he improved it so much, but when guys get out on him he doesn't have the length to elevate, and he isn't getting to the line as much since he's been more of a jump shooter since getting more minutes.

I'm skeptical as well. Right after that injury hans came back and played the 4th quarter like a trooper. He continued to hit shots and had that huge steal and dunk that *should have* (UGH!!) put the game away for us.

If the argument is that he wasn't the same after this it would have been reflected in the same game IMO.

pacers74
06-30-2011, 10:03 PM
I think this guy might make more sense and is certainly more cost effective. RPG, BPG, and PER almost identical to Nene and as a starter 16 PPG and 10RPG. He is only 26 years old, costs 7.6 million for 2 years and is on the trading block.

Milsap- ESPN

I want Milsap too, but he is only 6'8" he definitely addresses the PF spot, but I doubt he can play any time at center. That is is difference between them. Nene is 6'11" and can play PF and C. Nene is also going to be a free agent when ever the lockout is over. This should make it easier to get him unless the new CBA makes Utah have to get rid of some guys. Then we can swoop in and take Milsap.

Just for the record, I would take either of these guys. Nene is my number 1 guy and Milsap is a close 1a.

PacerFreak31
06-30-2011, 10:39 PM
I think all of this talk about Nene and David West and really anyone else is pointless. I say this because there are just the players that we could target this year but I would be willing to put all my eggs into next years free agent basket. Mainly because Chris Paul and Dwight Howard could be FA's. I live near Orlando and I read a lot about those two wanting to play together. If we sign anyone this year for 10 million or around that amount and depending on the new CBA that would almost elimate us being able to get in on getting both of those players.

Now I know the first response will be why Indy? Well of the teams with the most cap space to sign two max deal guys we have the most talent. Really there are only a couple teams that could pull this off and the Kings are the other. Now the new CBA could change a lot of this but next year we will also have Posey and Rush coming off our books and then we would easily be able to sign two max contract deals. So I could care less about Nene, Chandler, or anyone else this year because it is about so much more than just this year.

To have this starting lineup

Paul
George
Granger
Howard
Hibbert

And this bench

Hill
Lance
SF
Hans
McRob or whatever center

All of that just seems so much more than just settling for the low quality FA's this year just because we have the money to spend.

pacer4ever
06-30-2011, 10:49 PM
I think all of this talk about Nene and David West and really anyone else is pointless. I say this because there are just the players that we could target this year but I would be willing to put all my eggs into next years free agent basket. Mainly because Chris Paul and Dwight Howard could be FA's. I live near Orlando and I read a lot about those two wanting to play together. If we sign anyone this year for 10 million or around that amount and depending on the new CBA that would almost elimate us being able to get in on getting both of those players.

Now I know the first response will be why Indy? Well of the teams with the most cap space to sign two max deal guys we have the most talent. Really there are only a couple teams that could pull this off and the Kings are the other. Now the new CBA could change a lot of this but next year we will also have Posey and Rush coming off our books and then we would easily be able to sign two max contract deals. So I could care less about Nene, Chandler, or anyone else this year because it is about so much more than just this year.

Paul
George
Granger
Howard
Hibbert

And this bench

Hill
Lance
SF
Hans
McRob or whatever center

All of that just seems so much more than just settling for the low quality FA's this year just because we have the money to spend.

Chris Paul and Dwight Howard is not coming to Indiana. They will go to a big market or stay in NO/ORL Indiana has no shot(or that is what we would do). They can be S&T to a team without cap room or just traded NO/ORL isn't just gonna let him walk for nothing.

PacerFreak31
07-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Chris Paul and Dwight Howard is not coming to Indiana. They will go to a big market or stay in NO/ORL Indiana has no shot(or that is what we would do). They can be S&T to a team without cap room or just traded NO/ORL isn't just gonna let him walk for nothing.

They want to win championships and they want to play together. Yes they could get signed and traded but they would have to sign an extension and neither will do that unless they play on the same team. Also most of your big market teams are over the salary cap and if they have a hard cap they won't be in any position to do much at all.

CableKC
07-01-2011, 12:24 AM
I think if the Pacers signed Humphries, they would create a whole new revenue stream via the Kardashian family and their entourage through ticket and gear sales.
:chin: The Pacers should just go after Lamar Odom as well as our Starting PF...then the Pacers can corner the market on the whole niche of female fans that continually watch the Kardashian family on that "E" channel on Cable.

NOTE - Before you get the wrong idea....the only reason I know about this is cuz my wife watches that frakkin show ALL the frakkin time and why I am on PD at 11pm at night posting every other night.

A.B.Hollywood
07-01-2011, 02:45 AM

Paul
George
Granger
Howard
Hibbert

And this bench

Hill
Lance
SF
Hans
McRob or whatever center

Ugh.

PR07
07-01-2011, 10:26 AM

Milsap- ESPN

Millsap is going to cost either members of our core group or some draft picks, compared to NeNe just costing $$$.

Gamble1
07-01-2011, 12:25 PM

I think if we sign Nene he would be our Carlos Boozer. Really a contract around 14 mill is just terrible overall for this franchise to consider at this point.

IF we want toughness then I would want Chandler first the Nene.

IF we want scoring then I would want West over Chandler or Nene.

If we want a reasonable contract for what they bring to the team then I would want Chandler over Nene or Dwest.

My biggest hope is that Dallas gets limited on their abilty to resign Chandler and that puts us in the running but overall Nene opting out is really good for the Pacers IMO and hopefully the Nets throw big time money his way so we can sign someone else.