PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden Got 8.8 Mil Qualifying Offer!

Rogco
06-29-2011, 09:04 PM
PORTLAND, Ore. The Trail Blazers have offered former No. 1 draft pick Greg Oden an $8.8 million qualifying offer to stay in Portland.

The offer means the often injured 7-foot center becomes a restricted free agent. The Blazers can match any other offer made for Oden.

Oden didn't play this past season after microfracture surgery on his left knee. He missed his rookie season in 2007-08 after microfracture surgery on his right knee. Two seasons ago he broke his left kneecap.

Because of his injuries, the former Ohio State star has played in only 82 games over parts of two seasons, averaging 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds.

Associated Press:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110629/SPORTS/110629023/Trail-Blazers-offer-Greg-Oden-an-8-8-million-qualifying-offer?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

Pingu
06-29-2011, 09:07 PM
I think Oden is staying in Portland.

pacer4ever
06-29-2011, 09:08 PM
why is the news? everyone knew this was gonna happen

Rogco
06-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Didn't realize it was going to be so much.

Pacersalltheway10
06-29-2011, 09:10 PM
If I was Portlands GM I wouldn't have offered him one and just tried to negotiate a smaller deal. If he doesn't get healthy next season, they just shot theirselves in the foot, especially if they match an offer worth 10 million a year.

pacer4ever
06-29-2011, 09:12 PM
If I was Portlands GM I wouldn't have offered him one and just tried to negotiate a smaller deal. If he doesn't get healthy next season, they just shot theirselves in the foot, especially if they match an offer worth 10 million a year.

they can still negotiate a small deal and all indications are that is whats gonna happen. To not give him a qualify offer would be a terrible mistake.

graphic-er
06-29-2011, 09:15 PM
they can still negotiate a small deal and all indications are that is whats gonna happen. To not give him a qualify offer would be a terrible mistake.

Why would it be a terrible mistake? Some would say it would be a terrible mistake to keep paying this guy 8mil a year. At some point an assets value drops so low that getting out from underneath it is the best course of action, #1 or not.

Also why would his agent advise him to go for a smaller deal when 8.8 million is there for the taking. He can go anywhere he wants next year. I'd be getting out of portland if I were him. Bad knees are a trend with that team.

spreedom
06-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Why would it be a terrible mistake? Some would say it would be a terrible mistake to keep paying this guy 8mil a year. At some point an assets value drops so low that getting out from underneath it is the best course of action, #1 or not.

Also why would his agent advise him to go for a smaller deal when 8.8 million is there for the taking. He can go anywhere he wants next year. I'd be getting out of portland if I were him. Bad knees are a trend with that team.

By a smaller deal they'd likely be looking at something like 6yrs/$24M or something like that... less per year, but more guaranteed overall.

I agree that giving him the qualifying offer was a smart idea because for some crazy reason, he still has a ton of value around the league. I personally don't think he'll ever be an impact player that can go for more than 60 games a year, but if somebody wants to throw a lot of money at him I guess that's their right. But players like this are a very big reason as to why we are on the verge of a lockout... guys that get paid to sit and watch the games. IMO Oden is already finished. I just hope it isn't the Pacers that decide to throw a $40M contract at him.

Brad8888
06-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Good for Greg! Get PAID big man!

With the qualifying offer of $8.8 million (which may only be worth around $6.6 million if the settlement of the CBA comes with a guesstimated 25% across the board decrease in player salaries), I suspect that he remains an Oregonian until this contract becomes a valuable trading piece whenever the next trade deadline looms with a much lower cap that teams are likely to struggle to get under.

Far better for them to sign him than the Pacers in my view, unless he comes here in part as a S&T for Posey's contract, or a combination of Posey and Dahntay Jones. Then he becomes worth the risk in my view.

PacerGuy
06-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Greg should sign the 1 yr tender & become an UFA n/y. If POR does not want that they can recind it, or they can negotiate a trade. If Greg wants to re-up to a longer deal in POR, he can do that, but he may also want to take his time, get healthy & see that he could get on the open market after n/y. This is just a step in the process but things can still go almost anywhere.

Eleazar
06-29-2011, 10:33 PM
They can have him. Why would anyone pay him more than $5 million is just incomprehensible to me.

vnzla81
06-29-2011, 10:35 PM
So are we done talking about this? :dance: ...........I hope West is next :pray:

Psyren
06-29-2011, 10:41 PM
They can have him. Why would anyone pay him more than $5 million is just incomprehensible to me.

Agreed.

I couldn't be happier that we can stop this discussion of taking the leagues most injury prone player and overpaying him to come here.

I like Oden. But face the facts. The guy can't stay healthy. I don't know why we would even want to bring him here when we already knew it would cost quite a bit to do so.

Thank you Portland. Carry on.

spreedom
06-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Greg should sign the 1 yr tender & become an UFA n/y. If POR does not want that they can recind it, or they can negotiate a trade. If Greg wants to re-up to a longer deal in POR, he can do that, but he may also want to take his time, get healthy & see that he could get on the open market after n/y. This is just a step in the process but things can still go almost anywhere.

I was under the impression that once the offer has been tendered, the player has until the beginning of the season to sign it or another offer sheet? Didn't the Mavericks get stuck with a player that they ended up not wanting anymore that they had tendered an offer to a couple of years ago? I can't remember exactly who off the top of my head. Was it James Singleton maybe?

pacer4ever
06-29-2011, 11:15 PM
I was under the impression that once the offer has been tendered, the player has until the beginning of the season to sign it or another offer sheet? Didn't the Mavericks get stuck with a player that they ended up not wanting anymore that they had tendered an offer to a couple of years ago? I can't remember exactly who off the top of my head. Was it James Singleton maybe?

You are correct they cant rescind. But it would only be a 1 yr deal and with a owner with deep pockets Paul Allen it is more than worth the gamble. They have already waited a long time what is another year?

15th parallel
06-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Portland is still pinning their hopes on Oden. Portland is just so unlucky with their potential stars getting career-ending injuries. Or it's probably on their medical staff.

pacer4ever
06-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Portland is still pinning their hopes on Oden. Portland is just so unlucky with their potential stars getting career-ending injuries. Or it's probably on their medical staff.

well they have to gamble on Oden they wont have cap room either way due to giving Brandon Roy franchise player money and having Lamarcus Aldrich Gearlad Wallace and Raymond Felton.

ballism
06-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Well I don't know how it will work now without the CBA, but in years past teams had around 3 weeks to withdraw the qualifying. Just in case a team may decide to use the money on a free agent.

15th parallel
06-29-2011, 11:26 PM
well they have to gamble on Oden they wont have cap room either way due to giving Brandon Roy franchise player money and having Lamarcus Aldrich Gearlad Wallace and Raymond Felton.

Portland is still good without Oden. They should have just looked for a proven contributor on FA rather than pay and wait for another year to see if Oden can play. That's too much money for someone who has yet to average at least 41 games/season.

ballism
06-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Portland is still good without Oden. They should have just looked for a proven contributor on FA rather than pay and wait for another year to see if Oden can play. That's too much money for someone who has yet to average at least 41 games/season.

Their ability to sign free agents hasn't changed. They are over cap either way. They've only got midlevel and other exceptions. Paul Allen is willing to spend money. No reason not to give the qualifying.

Now a significant long term deal - that would be painful, sure. But I doubt they will make a significant long term commitment, unless they are sure he's fine (and I don't know how they could be sure).

pacer4ever
06-30-2011, 01:43 AM
Their ability to sign free agents hasn't changed. They are over cap either way. They've only got midlevel and other exceptions. Paul Allen is willing to spend money. No reason not to give the qualifying.

Now a significant long term deal - that would be painful, sure. But I doubt they will make a significant long term commitment, unless they are sure he's fine (and I don't know how they could be sure).

some people don't get how the system works i guess. This move was a no brainer IMO. For the reasons you said.

Bball
06-30-2011, 04:26 AM
The NBA apparently uses Monopoly Money.... cuz there is no justification for 8.8m in real dollars....

IMHO...

pacer4ever
06-30-2011, 04:36 AM
The NBA apparently uses Monopoly Money.... cuz there is no justification for 8.8m in real dollars....

IMHO...

Well Paul Allen pretty much has enough money for it to be considered monopoly money. I mean he is only worth 13 billion dollars.

Mr_Smith
06-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Portland will never give up on Greg

PacerGuy
06-30-2011, 09:37 AM

IMHO...

AGAIN,...
This is a 1 yr. tender - giving them time to see if Greg can get healthy. If they have the cap & can afford it, it is well worth it. This buys them time to see how Greg recovers, if they like what they see they work on an extension, & if not they can trade him as an expiring, or they walk away at yrs end.

Guys like P.Allen did not get rich by buying high - selling low. This tender is not any different then playing the stock market. Those that can take the risk to hold onto an asset when the value bottoms out, then buys more when the value is low are the biggest winners when that asset recovers.

Speed
06-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Yep, what PacerGuy said. The options were qualify him for 8.8, that is the price set by the league for his draft position and years into his rookie scale. Qualify offer gives you one year, unless if some other team offers Oden more, which won't happen. Or you could sign him long term now, stupid move with his injury hx. Or you could let him be a Free Agent by doing nothing.

You are buying a year to see what happens to the guy you drafted #1 overall over Kevin Durant, worth every penny if it works out.

It was really their only choice at this point, imo.

xIndyFan
06-30-2011, 09:58 AM
jmo, but greg oden should accept the QO and call it a day. with the new CBA lowering the cap and the large amount of existing contracts, post-CBA offers will be low. take the money while you can. if he doesn't accept, portland can withdraw the offer when the new CBA is signed or the QO can be eliminated. take the money greg. take the money.

vnzla81
06-30-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm pretty sure insurance pays part of his salary, If we miss any games next year that would also help them in a way by not paying him and also giving him enough rehab time to come back.

imawhat
06-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Hypothetical which wouldn't happen. If the Pacers offered him a 3 year contract at $8.9M, would it be considered more? Is the contract's total value the deciding factor, or is it per year average?

Shade
06-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Stuff like this is why the system badly needs an overhaul.

ballism
06-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Hypothetical which wouldn't happen. If the Pacers offered him a 3 year contract at $8.9M, would it be considered more? Is the contract's total value the deciding factor, or is it per year average?

You don't have to offer more. He could sign with Pacers at 1 mil per year for 2 years, and Blazers would then be able to match it and keep him at that price.
The only requirement is that it's at least a 2 year guaranteed contract.