PDA

View Full Version : Kenyon Martin?

I Love P
06-28-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm down to sign this guy, I know Duke Dynamite is too. He played really well last year and is a defensive minded PF that has a nice offensive game that gets him to the rack. If we can get him without over paying I think we jump on it and have him come off the bench, that would make the 2nd unit even more of a better defensive team.

PR07
06-28-2011, 11:27 PM
I'm warming up to the idea except I like him as the starter next to Hibbert with Hansbrough providing scoring off the bench and then splitting the PF minutes about 50-50.

When you look at what we need from our PF we could use: defense, athleticism, quickness, toughness, and rebounding. Kenyton Martin has lost a step, but he'd still bring defense, toughness, and rebounding and still moves pretty well. Most of all, he'd bring some attitude to our frontcourt. I was just getting downright sick of the cheap push in the backs by Noah and Boozer all playoff series, and KMart doesn't seem like the type that would take that sitting down.

joeco
06-28-2011, 11:43 PM
love the idea of getting Martin. hes one of those guys I believe that gets his teammates hyped and would automatically become our new "dale davis" front line enforcer. problem is I dont think Martin/Hans/Hibb would have enough help and we'd still need a 20 min a game big. Someone like Fesenko so we could save some bucks for next summer.

I dont think Martin would play here even for more money. hes at an age where chasing a ring becomes much more important. I also dont think him and the city of Indianapolis make a good marriage. He comes off like a guy that wants to play for a flashy city and ride the coattails of a superstar.

Really?
06-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Have been saying this for the last 2 weeks...., I would rather have him starting, and use tylers scoring ability off the bench though...

Trophy
06-28-2011, 11:47 PM
I actually like the swagger he brings to his game. He's not a thug or anything off the court. He's a hard nosed guy out on the court which would be nice in a rotation of he and Tyler.

Aside from that, I like his play on the defensive end and he can also step away from the paint and make shots.

I wouldn't mind bringing him in for the right price.

I Love P
06-28-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm warming up to the idea except I like him as the starter next to Hibbert with Hansbrough providing scoring off the bench and then splitting the PF minutes about 50-50.

When you look at what we need from our PF we could use: defense, athleticism, quickness, toughness, and rebounding. Kenyton Martin has lost a step, but he'd still bring defense, toughness, and rebounding and still moves pretty well. Most of all, he'd bring some attitude to our frontcourt. I was just getting downright sick of the cheap push in the backs by Noah and Boozer all playoff series, and KMart doesn't seem like the type that would take that sitting down.

Well said, depending on who we pick up I don't know if he would start but you can bring his toughness and enery off the bench. He's not intimidated by anybody. Here is a small article I found today on him after he went down with an injury late in the season...it talks about how much they're going to miss his defense, I'm absolutely sold.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/john_schuhmann/03/27/nuggets.martin/index.html?rss=true

Injuries are a part of the game and every NBA team must deal with them. But right now, the Denver Nuggets are dealing with an issue that goes well beyond rest and rehab.

George Karl is undergoing a series of radiation treatments for throat cancer and the Nuggets don't know when they'll see their head coach again. At this point, Karl isn't expected to return to the bench until the playoffs. When you take away a coach that's won almost 1,000 games in the league and add the stress of a serious health concern, your team can't help but be negatively affected.

On top of dealing with Karl's cancer, the Nuggets have a standard player injury that's another big concern. Kenyon Martin has missed the last 12 games with patella tendinitis in his left knee, and the timetable for his return is very much in the air as well.

Martin was having arguably the best season of his career, even better than his All-Star season in New Jersey. No, his numbers aren't as good they were in 2003-04, but Martin's value is not about points, rebounds and field-goal percentage.

Karl calls Martin "the quarterback of our defense," and without their power forward, the Nuggets are simply not very good defensively.

In the 55 games that Martin has played, the Nuggets have allowed 103.5 points per 100 possessions. And in the 18 games he's missed, they've allowed 107.7. That's not quite the drop-off that you'd have if you took Dwight Howard out of the middle of the Magic's defense, but it's the difference between being the 12th best defense in the league and being the sixth worst.

Opposing offenses haven't shot the ball much better from the field in the games without Martin, but they've turned the ball over less, got to the free throw line more, and grabbed more offensive boards. Rebounding is Martin's greatest strength, but he's also the rare player that can realistically guard all five positions.

"And guard them well," Chauncey Billups said. "Defensively, he's as good as it gets."

In fact, Karl often assigns Martin to guard the opposing team's best player, no matter what position they may play, down the stretch of games. Martin has done as good a job as anyone could in defending Kobe Bryant on key possessions against the Lakers.

"I'll put him on anybody," Karl said at All-Star weekend. "I love it when [the opponent runs] pick-and-roll at the end of a game and we switch it. I say, 'OK. You just switched on to our best defender.'"

The Nuggets have also been worse offensively without Martin. Overall, they're 10-8 without him and needed Carmelo Anthony's buzzer-beater in Toronto on Friday to avoid their first four-game losing streak in more than three years.

Martin is no stranger to knee injuries, of course. Over the past seven seasons, he's missed a total of 180 games, almost all due to problems with either one of his knees. He's had microfracture surgery on both of them. So while his latest injury isn't related to the surgeries at all, it still elicits quite a bit of frustration.

"It's not easy by any stretch of the imagination, because I want to play," Martin said this week. "I've been playing well."

And he had been playing through pain for most of the season, but it got worse as the year went on. He'd tried everything to help subside it: anti-inflammatories, acupuncture and massage cupping techniques.

"I did it all, but it got to a point where nothing would work," he said. And eventually, the pain was too much.

Now, in addition to sitting out, Martin is undergoing platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy, in which platelet-rich plasma is separated from a vial of his own blood and then injected into his knee in an attempt to help tissue recover. It's a painful process, but Martin's doing whatever he can to get back on the court and knows when he does, he'll still have to play in pain.

"I know what I can deal with," he said. "It's my 10th year. It's just trying to get it to a point where I can tolerate it."

Martin began riding a stationary bike on the Nuggets' current five-game road trip, and is doing a little bit more every day. He'll be re-examined when the team returns home, with just seven games left in the regular season. Of course, he doesn't want to return too early, in fear that the pain might build back up and put him back in a suit when his team needs him most.

"The real season starts April 17th," he said.

At this point, there's no guarantee he'll be ready by then. PRP therapy doesn't work for everybody. So while the Nuggets wonder when they'll see Karl again, they also wonder if Martin will get back his uniform before it's too late.

"We're real concerned about [Martin's status]," acting head coach Adrian Dantley admitted. "But the only thing you can do is keep playing. We hope we get him back. We're a better defensive team when he's out there. A better team when he's out there."

PacerGuy
06-28-2011, 11:50 PM
KMart?
Sure - If we can get him for a Blue Light Special pricetag.

KingGeorge
06-28-2011, 11:55 PM
I like Martin, but I would rather find a PF that would be a long-term solution. K-Mart has already played 11 seasons so he probably only has 2 or 3 more productive seasons in him. Unless we can get him for cheap and have him come off the bench, I would pass on Martin.

MillerTime
06-29-2011, 12:06 AM
KMart is a great player, when healthy.

I would not be comfortable signing him to a deal considering his age and history of injuries

jeffg-body
06-29-2011, 12:20 AM
I'd love to see KMart in a Pacers uni if the price is right. I think he and Tyler would be a pretty good rotation if each can play about half of the game minute wise. KMart probably has three more years of productivity left in him and I think he would flourish playing with Tyler backing him up and playing big minutes himself. During those three years it gives us time to draft a descent young PF to groom or pick up that dominant PF in the next three years via trade or as a FA.

RLeWorm
06-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Hell yea! Nene is going to ask for to much and David West is a risk. Kmart is a good rebounder. I wouldn't say he is one of the best shot blockers but he is pretty good.

vnzla81
06-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Kmart is a way better option than Dwest, he is going to be cheap too, I would like him as a back up better.

CableKC
06-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Kenyon Martin is 33 years old. If we were go get a True Backup Center ( think Oden or Pryzbilla ) that could rebound and block shots....I'd have no problem splitting the PF minutes with Kenyon Martin and Hansbrough ( 24/24 ).

Another thing was the when the Nuggets played Teams like the Lakers....Karl would actually put Kenyon Martin on Kobe....he could easily defend some stronger 3s and quicker 4s.

"And guard them well," Chauncey Billups said. "Defensively, he's as good as it gets."

In fact, Karl often assigns Martin to guard the opposing team's best player, no matter what position they may play, down the stretch of games. Martin has done as good a job as anyone could in defending Kobe Bryant on key possessions against the Lakers.

"I'll put him on anybody," Karl said at All-Star weekend. "I love it when [the opponent runs] pick-and-roll at the end of a game and we switch it. I say, 'OK. You just switched on to our best defender.'"

Even with his age......this is the very definition of Smashmouth Basketball that I want in my Frontcourt.

TheRifleman51
06-29-2011, 01:05 AM
K Mart would have been prefect like 6 years ago but he is still a good fit i agree with most the price has to be right but he adds some toughness and defense that we have not had

joeco
06-29-2011, 01:06 AM
didnt realize Martin missed over 85 games last 4 seasons, and that number has grown year by year. This is a major issue. Now that leads me to believe.......

A) we must sign a quality big man who can play big minutes in addition to KMart, cause history has told us this guy cant stay on the court. Thats gonna cost us much more money.

B) if we did sign him and he missed a dozen or more games that might hurt our team chemistry and this team needs to gel in a bad way. Him being on and off the court would potentially disrupt that goal. It would be like last years Pacers again, minus KMart and/or McBob/Foster.

C) At the right price, if we could land Landry and Martin together I think that would pay off big. Takes pressure off the other. I wouldnt want to sign one without the other, or another who fits what these two could potentially be in a pacer uniform.

ballism
06-29-2011, 01:14 AM
What for? He's been breaking down for years. He's old, he has serious mileage and he's running on fumes. So why do we need him exactly? It has to be something for at least 3-4 years. We aren't going deep this year, and probably not the next. Got to be someone who can still move two years from now.
Or do you mean add him as 7th or 8th man? Then I don't care.

And with his attitude, you can't even count on positive veteran leadership. Yeah, I think there could be a better bench guy somewhere.

dgranger17
06-29-2011, 01:17 AM
I like Martin, but I would rather find a PF that would be a long-term solution. K-Mart has already played 11 seasons so he probably only has 2 or 3 more productive seasons in him. Unless we can get him for cheap and have him come off the bench, I would pass on Martin.

I almost agree 100%, but isn't a PF who's been in the league for 11 seasons and won't take **** from anybody exactly the guy we need? The market is going to demand this guy getting a 4 yr $24 million deal... and if it does, then obviously we pass. If Martin wants to come here for 2-3 yrs at $10-$18 mill then I personally would have to pull the trigger. He's a vet who's been around the block and isn't afraid to get physical on the block. Sign me up.

My ideal offseason (now that we have G3) is Kenyon Martin, Chuck Hayes, that Fesenko dude from Utah, and Foster (assuming we don't overpay for any of them). We've got young wings out the *** and are about to get more next offseason (FA's and draft), lets load up on veteran role playing, defensive bigs while we have the chance (because we only have Handy Man and Hib Hib Hooroy under contract right now).

(I LOVE LARRY!)

TheRifleman51
06-29-2011, 01:24 AM
didnt realize Martin missed over 85 games last 4 seasons, and that number has grown year by year. This is a major issue. Now that leads me to believe.......

A) we must sign a quality big man who can play big minutes in addition to KMart, cause history has told us this guy cant stay on the court. Thats gonna cost us much more money.

B) if we did sign him and he missed a dozen or more games that might hurt our team chemistry and this team needs to gel in a bad way. Him being on and off the court would potentially disrupt that goal. It would be like last years Pacers again, minus KMart and/or McBob/Foster.

C) At the right price, if we could land Landry and Martin together I think that would pay off big. Takes less pressure off the other. I wouldnt want to sign one without the other, or another who fits what these two could potentially be in a pacer uniform.

i like that idea of the combo signing as long as it doesn't kill our pockets

dgranger17
06-29-2011, 01:28 AM
No matter what Larry does, remember..

"He's the real macaroni, you cheesy *****... he's demonic with the Kraft"

Song? Anybody...? Anybody?

Welp, see ya later

Pacersalltheway10
06-29-2011, 01:46 AM
I want somebody that will scare the :censored: out of Boozer and Noah. KMart would be a step in the right direction even if it's for a limited time.

BRushWithDeath
06-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Kenyon Martin was a good rebounder.

He isn't anymore.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=martike01&y1=2011&p2=mcrobjo01&y2=2011&p3=hansbty01&y3=2011

xIndyFan
06-29-2011, 08:23 AM
i've always thought kmart was phony tough. a guy that acted tough, but was really not big and strong enough. plus he is the same size as tyler, ie undersized. once upon a time, he was athletic. but like JO, he is not anymore. and like JO, he is hurt all the time. now that is think about it, the JO comparison for his physical deterioration is probably a good one. buyer beware here.

that said, a one/two yr contract would be ok if the pacers can't get anyone better.

duke dynamite
06-29-2011, 08:37 AM
I love how on twitter you were claiming that the citizens of PD were just drooling over Kmart. From what I see here there are a lot of mixed feelings, most of which are luke warm, many more including "hell no".

PR07
06-29-2011, 08:57 AM
I honestly don't see him getting anything more than Jermaine O'Neal money at 2-3 years at 5-6 million. I think he'd be a nice stop gap until a better long-term PF could be found, certainly better than overpaying for David West.

Derek2k3
06-29-2011, 08:58 AM
I almost agree 100%, but isn't a PF who's been in the league for 11 seasons and won't take **** from anybody exactly the guy we need? The market is going to demand this guy getting a 4 yr $24 million deal... and if it does, then obviously we pass. If Martin wants to come here for 2-3 yrs at $10-$18 mill then I personally would have to pull the trigger. He's a vet who's been around the block and isn't afraid to get physical on the block. Sign me up.

Everyone is being pretty clear that "at the right price" is their mindset.

However, the dude made $16.5M last season. He's gonna be looking for something closer to $8M/Year I would think, and someone will overpay him. (New York? Nets? LA?)

As for me, I could go either way. His attitude really concerns me, and I'd hate to have a guy disrupting the growth and development of PG/TH, and potentially hurting Lance's development as well.

However, I've never been in Denvers lockerroom, so maybe he's a peach in there, and a positive leader. :whoknows:

Justin Tyme
06-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Kenyon Martin is 33 years old.

Bio from NBA scores.

Sept 13, 1982 doesn't make him 34, but 29.

Was drafted in 2002. Which means he has played 9 seasons. .

30+ MPG... 61% FG... 71% FT... 7 Reb... 16 PPG Last season.

Last 3 years games played

He's missed 12 games the last 3 years.

There is no way he's signing with the Pacers for a "blue light special" salary. He's looking for the same salary and length of contract as West.

Justin Tyme
06-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Kmart is a way better option than Dwest, he is going to be cheap too, I would like him as a back up better.

What makes you believe he's going to be cheap? What is your definition of CHEAP?

Read post #26.

BPump33
06-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Bio from NBA scores.

Sept 13, 1982 doesn't make him 34, but 29.

Was drafted in 2002. Which means he has played 9 seasons. .

30+ MPG... 61% FG... 71% FT... 7 Reb... 16 PPG Last season.

Last 3 years games played

He's missed 12 games the last 3 years.

There is no way he's signing with the Pacers for a "blue light special" salary. He's looking for the same salary and length of contract as West.

Kenyon Martin

#4 PF 6' 9", 240 lbsDenver Nuggets
BornDec 30, 1977 in Saginaw, MI (Age: 33)
Drafted2000: 1st Rnd, 1st by NJ
CollegeCincinnati
Experience11 years

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/515/kenyon-martin

ballism
06-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Justin, you mixed K-Mart and Nene. It's Nene who's born in 82, drafted in 02 and was healthy lately.

graphic-er
06-29-2011, 10:59 AM
you people have to be freaking kidding, 33 year old PF who has to ride the stationery bike in between subs? Jeff Foster has to ride the bike as well. This is the guy you want to start? He is a shell of his former self. Thanks for the chuckle...

dgranger17
06-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Everyone is being pretty clear that "at the right price" is their mindset.

However, the dude made $16.5M last season. He's gonna be looking for something closer to $8M/Year I would think, and someone will overpay him. (New York? Nets? LA?)

As for me, I could go either way. His attitude really concerns me, and I'd hate to have a guy disrupting the growth and development of PG/TH, and potentially hurting Lance's development as well.

However, I've never been in Denvers lockerroom, so maybe he's a peach in there, and a positive leader. :whoknows:

I'm assuming a 33 yr old who's been in the league for 11+ years would be at least decent in the locker room. We're not talking about a young punk, we're talking about an OG. Not a, not a, not a, not a, not a young punk... not a young punk. We talkin about an OG. An OG!

If we signed him for a couple years, he would get 25-30 minutes a game. He would know in coming here that he would get 25-30 minutes a game. If he's happy with 25-30 minutes a game and helping mentor a bunch of young guys, then we're a perfect fit. Odds are, he isn't coming here, but PD just dedicated 2 months to the likes of Jimmer, Alec Burks, Marshon Brooks, etc so let us dream about K-Mart for a couple days

And yes, anytime Lance is in your locker room, you should be a little weary of anybody donning a P jersey

dgranger17
06-29-2011, 11:15 AM
you people have to be freaking kidding, 33 year old PF who has to ride the stationery bike in between subs? Jeff Foster has to ride the bike as well. This is the guy you want to start? He is a shell of his former self. Thanks for the chuckle...

Do you watch games? He may be 33, but he's good. Yes, I want as many good bigs as I can possibly get on my team and I don't think anybody would want him to start over Psycho.

Go ahead and show me some stats or something, because those are all that matter

Justin Tyme
06-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Justin, you mixed K-Mart and Nene. It's Nene who's born in 82, drafted in 02 and was healthy lately.

Thanks! Duh, on my part. :blush::blush::blush:

Justin Tyme
06-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Posters keep saying CHEAP. What is cheap?

This is his last contract, so I don't see where a 1-2 year contract would be acceptable to him. He's the same age as Foster. If Bird gave Foster a 3 year contract, I'd go ballistic, so I wouldn't be happy giving K-Mart 3 years either. When players get older, they look to play for a championship contender, so unless you blow K-Mart away with an unrealistic offer I don't see him coming to the Pacers.

Speed
06-29-2011, 11:35 AM
I don't know how much Kmart has left in the tank, but I think he intimidates the hell out of opponents. Players don't mess with him. He'd get JO completely out of his game, when they played by getting chippy with him. He's a shadow of his athletic self, but he still commands that respect, I'd guess theres almost no one in the league who would 'really' challenge him in a fight. Something to be said for that kind of prescence.

On the flip side, I wonder if he really is like dangerous. Not to start rumors, but if I remember right, he'd host parties with some rough characters that would show up.

graphic-er
06-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Do you watch games? He may be 33, but he's good. Yes, I want as many good bigs as I can possibly get on my team and I don't think anybody would want him to start over Psycho.

Go ahead and show me some stats or something, because those are all that matter

LOL 8 and 7 good ey? Last year he average the least amount of minutes per game in his career. Over the last 4 seasons his games played has decreased every year. His production has trended downward every year he has played in Denver. Wow...simply wow. This guy is gonna demand anywhere from 6-9 million a year. I'd rather give McRoberts 4-5 million a year. He is 10 years younger. He'd give us 8 and 7 too just by simply being on the court. Hell any veteran 6-10 PF in the league who averages over 25 minutes a game for his career should be able to stumble into 8 and 7 per game.

Brad8888
06-29-2011, 11:42 AM
I love how on twitter you were claiming that the citizens of PD were just drooling over Kmart. From what I see here there are a lot of mixed feelings, most of which are luke warm, many more including "hell no".

How dare you bring truth into this. All truth does is confuse the situation. :D

Brad8888
06-29-2011, 11:46 AM
You do realize that the article you linked to was from 3-27-2010?

Slick Pinkham
06-29-2011, 11:48 AM
K-Mart sucks.

http://www.larelybeagle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/rainman-at.jpg

dgranger17
06-29-2011, 11:51 AM
LOL 8 and 7 good ey? Last year he average the least amount of minutes per game in his career. Over the last 4 seasons his games played has decreased every year. His production has trended downward every year he has played in Denver. Wow...simply wow. This guy is gonna demand anywhere from 6-9 million a year. I'd rather give McRoberts 4-5 million a year. He is 10 years younger. He'd give us 8 and 7 too just by simply being on the court. Hell any veteran 6-10 PF in the league who averages over 25 minutes a game for his career should be able to stumble into 8 and 7 per game.

You're absolutely correct, stats mean everything.

12 pts, 2.6 rebs, 2.7 asts, .9 stls, .3 blks, and 1.3 TOs with 46.6 FG% and 81.8 FT% in 28.75 mpg over the last 2 years.... Pretty solid haul for Leonard, Bertans, and Lorbek

duke dynamite
06-29-2011, 11:59 AM
How dare you bring truth into this. All truth does is confuse the situation. :D
http://jadegoh.com/wakeuptolifetranscends/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/my-despair-poster-c12180059.jpg

Pacer Fan
06-29-2011, 12:02 PM
K-Mart is no Blue Light Special! The Light is Off! Not a Good Deal!

graphic-er
06-29-2011, 12:04 PM
You're absolutely correct, stats mean everything.

12 pts, 2.6 rebs, 2.7 asts, .9 stls, .3 blks, and 1.3 TOs with 46.6 FG% and 81.8 FT% in 28.75 mpg over the last 2 years.... Pretty solid haul for Leonard, Bertans, and Lorbek

I'm not sure what George Hill has to do with this.

PR07
06-29-2011, 12:06 PM
For the people that are bringing up age and how he's washed up, did we not bring in Dale Davis back not that long ago (04-05 season) when he was waived by the Hornets at like the age of 37, and he ended up starting at center for us in a winning postseason series against Boston? Did that not happen? Some of you people sure have short memories.

dgranger17
06-29-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure what George Hill has to do with this.

Stats have everything to do with everything

Conference Finals

graphic-er
06-29-2011, 12:10 PM
For the people that are bringing up age and how he's washed up, did we not bring in Dale Davis back not that long ago (04-05 season) when he was waived by the Hornets at like the age of 37, and he ended up starting at center for us in a winning postseason series against Boston? Did that not happen? Some of you people sure have short memories.

I bet Dale Davis could average 8 and 7 next year.

pacerDU
06-29-2011, 01:06 PM

Comparing Dale Davis to K Mart is like comparing a T-Rex to a bunny rabbit. Two COMPLETELY different players. DD was a warrior who knew his role - defense and boards. I doubt Martin would play through a broken finger nail.

I don't want Martin anywhere near this team, and thankfully I doubt Bird does either.

vnzla81
06-29-2011, 01:53 PM
I watched a lot of Denver Nuggets games this year and I was paying attention to Kmart(when he came back) and according to some articles and tv interviews, Kmart was the one person keeping the team together when the Melo's drama was going on, according to the interviews and reports he was the one keeping all the crazy guys on the team in check, he was also playing pretty well, his defense on anybody is amazing.

Here is an article that I found about Martin

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17761501

Nuggets' Martin steps into role of leadership
By Benjamin Hochman
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/03/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

After the Carmelo Anthony trade, Kenyon Martin , above, is the unquestioned leader of the team that is 14-4 since sending its star to New York. (Karl Gehring, The Denver Post )LOS ANGELES Kenyon Martin is the type of competitor who, perturbed by a controversial Scrabble move, would push you to the ground and bark: "ZIPPY isn't a word!"

It is this unwavering passion that has fueled the Nuggets since the big Carmelo Anthony trade.

"From the very beginning, he believed in this team maybe as much as I did," Nuggets coach George Karl said.

The scene remains in the minds of many Nuggets: On the day of the Feb. 21 trade with New York, some guys watched ESPN in the locker room, when a commentator said the Nuggets would be the "Cavaliers of the Western Conference," after trading Anthony and Chauncey Billups .

"That's just a slap in my face. I take it personally," said Martin,

re-telling the message he had shared with his teammates. "I've been around this game, I know how to play, I'm a winner. Melo is a great player, I'm not taking that from him, but Melo didn't make this team.

"I mean that in no disrespectful way whatsoever. But it's a team. It's not tennis, it's not golf, it's not an individual sport. He's a great talent and is going to be around this league for a long time. But I have pride, and guys on this team have pride."

With his glare that makes tall men short, with his brawn that makes power forwards ache and a voice that makes teammates listen, the Nuggets' last remaining captain (with Melo and Billups gone) has been the heartbeat of this defensive-minded and tough-minded team.

Denver is 14-4 since the trade and has allowed just 95.1 points per game, compared with 105.2 before the trade. And today, Martin will be ubiquitous on defense, guarding everyone from Pau Gasol to Lamar Odom to Kobe Bryant in a litmus test at the Staples Center against the Los Angeles Lakers , the hottest team in the Western Conference.

"He brings credibility," Nuggets assistant coach Melvin Hunt said. "And he impacts the game defensively, immediately. We trust him quarterbacking our defense. It's easy to lead when you're relevant. We give him a lot of tough assignments, and he steps up to it. He never backs down from it. I know the other guys respect that."

Martin is a motor mouth. He talks and talks and talks to teammates, coaches, refs, fans, media, buddies (refs, did we mention refs?) all with the seriousness of a school principal.

"When he talks," new teammate Wilson Chandler said, "you can hear him. He's a vocal leader and he does the things he talks about.

"There are guys (in the NBA) who are on you about defense, but then they're not playing defense. He's one of those guys who plays hard on both ends of the court."

Martin prides himself on his leadership, describing it as something he has earned. Hunt said there was a "dog-days practice," in which Martin brought the team together and, simply and bluntly, said, "Let's get better today. And we got better that day. The guys went with his lead."

Martin enjoys giving pointers in film sessions, reminding the younger guys about dress codes at events or even just talking to teammates about personal problems. Sure, sometimes Martin will say something that sounds more like an insult than advice, but as he explained, "It might not come out the right way all the time, but listen to the message, not the way it's delivered. I think it goes a long way with people, knowing that I have their back, no matter what."

Martin's team has made the playoffs in each of the past nine seasons. Another badge of honor. Last season, he could have sat out the postseason. His knee was aching. Instead, he went through a revolutionary knee therapy postponing surgery to get just healthy enough to play against Utah in the first round.

He played and then, upon meeting with doctors in the summer, "They told me that my knee had gotten worse from those six games we played in the playoffs," Martin said. He spent the summer and fall rehabbing, but he knew he made the right decision to help the team in the playoffs.

This summer, he'll be an unrestricted free agent, his seven-year, $90 million contract off the books.

Of where he'll end up, "If it's here (with Denver), great," he said. "I've been here seven years, I don't like moving, I don't like change. But it's a business, and I understand what it is. So we'll see. It's already April and nothing is in place."

Asked if winning is more important than signing for more money with a rebuilding team, Martin said: "Definitely, definitely. I don't deal with losing well. Losing in bunches, especially. I don't do that well. For me, winning is more important than anything."

This we already knew

duke dynamite
06-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Yeah but that was Dale Davis.

No need to say anything else other than his name... Dale Davis.

CableKC
06-29-2011, 02:02 PM
I watched a lot of Denver Nuggets games this year and I was paying attention to Kmart(when he came back) and according to some articles and tv interviews, Kmart was the one person keeping the team together when the Melo's drama was going on, according to the interviews and reports he was the one keeping all the crazy guys on the team in check, he was also playing pretty well, his defense on anybody is amazing.

Here is an article that I found about Martin

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17761501
Good read....someone should send this article ( and the other one before in this thread ) to Bird.

All I can say is that this is the type of Player that I want on the Team...if anything.....he's shown that he has some strong leadership qualities in the Lockeroom that I think that this Team really needs. Add in his defense and intensity....and that equals Smashmouth Basketball to me.

If the FO strikes out on Nene, Chandler and ( I hope ) Humphries ( yes, I know....many of you disagree....but my personal choice :pray: )....I'd have no problem with looking at Kenyon Martin as a 2-3 year option to solidify our PF rotation next to Hansbrough. I'd just want to get a VERY SOLID Backup Center that can rebound, defend the paint and provide some shotblocking behind Hibbert and next to our PFs.

Also...IF ( for some reason ) Hansbrough is moved to get a Starting Quality PF....I'd LOVE to get Kenyon Martin to come in as a Backup PF playing for 20-24 mpg.

However, reading this...

Asked if winning is more important than signing for more money with a rebuilding team, Martin said: "Definitely, definitely. I don't deal with losing well. Losing in bunches, especially. I don't do that well. For me, winning is more important than anything."

My guess is that he'll go to the Celtics, Lakers or Heat.

Really?
06-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Kenyon Martin was a good rebounder.

He isn't anymore.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=martike01&y1=2011&p2=mcrobjo01&y2=2011&p3=hansbty01&y3=2011

Isn't that basically what we need out of a 4... rebounding, intimidating people, I also think that he is a good passer as well as a good team player..

Trophy
06-29-2011, 02:07 PM
I watched a lot of the Nuggets this year specifically for their big men.

KMart is definitely a veteran leader on and off the court. He still brings the hard nosed defense and still can make shots away from the paint on the offensive end.

Again, if the price is right, I'd bring him in for a few years.

He's not at the top of my desired FA PF list, but I'd keep him in mind.

I Love P
06-29-2011, 02:07 PM
His playoff experience, being to the playoffs nine times while making two trips to the finals, could only help a young team that barely has any playoff experience.

Come to Indy Kmart.

Lou Bega
06-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Tyler will beat him out. This isnt the 2002-2005 K Mart who earned his rep w/ the New Jersey Nets.

He wont get his minutes. He will whine. He might only play 27 games.

I am fine w/ him but not @ 5 - 6 million a year. I will give him a 2 year deal for that amount but nothing more. Laugh @ that amount but dont be suprised when vets are told either take a pay cut or retire by several owners.

I really believe Mc Roberts is a better fit than K-Mart for the Pacers. I had no problem w/ him & Tyler as a 4/5 combo in some situations. K Mart's red flag is how he will act in the lockerroom. Is he going to be a vocal veteran leader or a loudmouth? He cant just come in to a new team/city and expect everybody to "bow down" to him!!!

CableKC
06-29-2011, 02:20 PM
I really believe Mc Roberts is a better fit than K-Mart for the Pacers. I had no problem w/ him & Tyler as a 4/5 combo in some situations. K Mart's red flag is how he will act in the lockerroom. Is he going to be a vocal veteran leader or a loudmouth? He cant just come in to a new team/city and expect everybody to "bow down" to him!!!
From what I read from the 2 articles posted, I don't get the sense that KMart has an ego where he "demands" respect from his Teammates....I get the sense ( based off of those comments from his Teammates ) that he earns it by "walking the walk and talking the talk".

To me, a "vocal veteral leader" leads the Team by example and respect...whereas a "loudmouth" is an undisciplined guy that says something just to get attention......my guess is that KMart would be the former...not the latter.

vnzla81
06-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Here is a recent video of Kmart

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2X7XL0asZF8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I Love P
06-29-2011, 02:24 PM
McBob might have played his way out of town during the playoffs...he shot more right handed shots in the playoffs than left.

RLeWorm
06-29-2011, 03:30 PM
K-mart finishes strong

PR07
06-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Comparing Dale Davis to K Mart is like comparing a T-Rex to a bunny rabbit. Two COMPLETELY different players. DD was a warrior who knew his role - defense and boards. I doubt Martin would play through a broken finger nail.

I don't want Martin anywhere near this team, and thankfully I doubt Bird does either.

No, they really aren't that different at all. Dale Davis was a little bigger and could play center. However, both pride(d) themselves on their defense, toughness, and rebounding. Martin's been playing on two bad knees for the past 5 years, so I'm pretty sure he knows how to play through pain.

Justin Tyme
06-29-2011, 03:43 PM

Yes, he did, but tell the other half of the story. He was WELL rested from not having played in how long? That makes a difference at that age.

PR07
06-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Yes, he did, but tell the other half of the story. He was WELL rested from not having played in how long? That makes a difference at that age.

Well-rested, you've got to be kidding me? If anything, the long lay-off that Dale Davis had in Golden State with limited game action should've hindered his basketball skills. Was Jamaal Tinsley more well-rested when isolated him away from the team a whole year and thus better? No, he was worse.

dgranger17
06-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Dude looks like Method Man... so he has that going for him too

I Love P
06-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Dude looks like Method Man... so he has that going for him too

Who is "Method Man?" Is that a character in Harry Potter or Battlestar Gallactica? If not, then I do not know of whom your speaking of.

BRushWithDeath
06-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Isn't that basically what we need out of a 4... rebounding, intimidating people, I also think that he is a good passer as well as a good team player..

He got exactly 0.1 more rebound per 36 minutes of play last season than Hansbrough or McRoberts.

vnzla81
06-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Ecurry has been resting for like three years, I think we should sing him :D