PDA

View Full Version : Oden

PacersPride
06-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I know this is all just speculatitive banter due too what looks like a long drawn out lockout for the NBA.

However, I was wondering what posters on here think about Oden. Most of the chatter is surrounding the PF position, but I wonder if Roy Hibbert were more of a monster inside would we really feel the urgency too upgrade.

This brings me too my point, love Hibbert and believe he will become a very solid center for us in 2-3 more seasons, but behind him is Foster & McBob, and we know Fosters time is running out.

McBob can swing both positions of PF/C. Personally, I would like too see us bring in Oden for the right price and length of contract. Im aware he is an RFA but I recall reading Portland did not pickup the option on his contract.

How many in here would be willing to give Oden a chance.

Pacersalltheway10
06-28-2011, 08:51 PM
If they don't offer him a qualifying offer ( they have until Thursday) does that mean he'll be an unrestricted free agent?

troyc11a
06-28-2011, 08:53 PM
How can any "SANE" person not at least consider it? The question does not ask if we should sign him. But "consider it." If he is healthy, he is a franchise Center. If he is not, dont sign him then.
I guess the people who said no just feel Hibbert will always be better than Oden.

CooperManning
06-28-2011, 08:54 PM
1 year guaranteed, 2 year team option, ideally. If he wants anything more than 2 years guaranteed, I'd say no. And I'd have to really think about 2 years guaranteed.

Pacersalltheway10
06-28-2011, 09:00 PM
http://www.blazersedge.com/2011/6/27/2247779/blazers-acting-gm-chad-buchanan-on-center-greg-oden-his-qualifying
Ben Golliver

Finally, here's what Portland Trail Blazers Acting GM Chad Buchanan had to say about center Greg Oden on Monday. The Blazers must issue Oden a Qualifying Offer by Thursday to make him a restricted free agent.

Buchanan still wouldn't commit one one way or another on whether the Blazers would tender the Qualifying Offer to Oden but did say that the decision would be announced "Wednesday or Thursday" and that the organization was "very comfortable" with where it stands in relation to the situation.

Status of Greg Oden offer

"We have to officially tender him a qualifying offer by June 30. He doesn't have to sign it. he can go out and solicit an offer from another team and we have seven days to match. If he eventually decides not to sign an offer with other teams, he can sign our offer and play for us next year."

Do you know whether you will make the offer or not?

"We've talked about every option that we have available. We've had a ton of discussions on that. I think we feel really comfortable with where we're at right now. We've look at different routes that we can take. As I'm sure Greg is doing the same with his agent.At the end of the day we have to find what's right for our team. Greg is going to do what's right for himself. Whatever that ends up being, we're going to be supportive of it and hopefully have made our team better."

Did not drafting a big man signal that you plan to make Oden the offer?

"I don't think so. I don't think it had any affect on our decision with Greg. If we had added two or three centers in the draft or a trade that would be a different scenario but we added two backcourt players and I don't think that impacts where we're going with Greg at all. There were a couple of post players that we liked, one of them we went after pretty hard, but in the end that's totally separate from where we stand with Greg."

What can Greg Oden do right now rehab-wise?

"He's just starting to run on the ultra-G. It reduces the weight and stress that it puts on your legs. He's just getting ready to start doing that."

How is he progressing overall?

"He's doing really well, he looks great physically, he's in a great mindset, really optimistic about where he's at health-wise and his future so it's been very good."

How important is his weight?

"That's what we want him to be focused on, keeping himself light. That's a big part of recovering from that [microfracture] procedure. The sooner you get yourself down to your normal weight, the sooner you can ramp up your activities.Everything is on schedule. Everything they've told us is all encouraging."

When will you talk in more detail with owner Paul Allen?

"We've already discussed it quite extensively last week leading up to the draft. We feel very comfortable with where we're at. Get through the draft, get through today and then that will be the next thing on our plate."

Will the decision come down on Thursday?

"Wednesday or Thursday. We're very comfortable with our decision."

ballism
06-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Anything sane for us would be matched by Blazers. They need a center more than we do. Anything insane is not worth the time.
So I'd just skip the whole thing and save some time and resources.

The only reason to get involved would be to get the price up on Blazers and screw up their cap a little.

Smits Happens
06-28-2011, 09:13 PM
http://www.blazersedge.com/2011/6/27/2247779/blazers-acting-gm-chad-buchanan-on-center-greg-oden-his-qualifying
Ben Golliver

I'm very comfortable with Buchanan's comments.

sobleski
06-28-2011, 09:13 PM
yes, offer him around 9 million a year for a 2 year deal with a team option for 2 more years.... if he doesn't pan out then we have a nice expiring for the summer of 2013 when some really good free agents are available

xBulletproof
06-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Shoot me now.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=64888&highlight=Oden

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=63914&highlight=Oden

Pacersalltheway10
06-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Anything sane for us would be matched by Blazers. They need a center more than we do. Anything insane is not worth the time.

The only reason to get involved would be to get the price up on Blazers and screw up their cap a little.

Not if they don't give him the qualifying offer. Then he becomes unrestricted and the Blazers don't have the right to match any offer.

troyc11a
06-28-2011, 09:19 PM

It is still worth looking into. Let TPTB earn some of that money!!!!!

ballism
06-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Not if they don't give him the qualifying offer. Then he becomes unrestricted and the Blazers don't have the right to match any offer.

The only way he doesn't get the qualifying is if Blazers are sure he's done.

Lance George
06-28-2011, 09:24 PM
There's no question in my mind that a healthy Oden is the biggest game changer in this class of free agents. I'd sign him to a huge contract if he agreed to team options ever year, but such a low-risk situation would unquestionably be matched by Portland.

pizza guy
06-28-2011, 09:28 PM
A guy with his potential should be looked in to. But a guy with his injuries should be avoided, so it's hard to say.

Obviously, if he came here and the home cookin' made him happy and healthy, we'd be geniuses. If he didn't pan out, then hopefully we wouldn't have spent too much money and we move on.

Pacersalltheway10
06-28-2011, 09:29 PM
He can become a restricted free agent if Portland offers him a qualifying offer.

If Oden is restricted, the team has the right to match any offer made to Oden. If the Blazers don't tender a qualifying offer, Oden becomes an unrestricted free agent, and any team can make an offer.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2010/11/blazers_president_larry_miller.html

SMosley21
06-28-2011, 09:42 PM
If I wake up Friday morning and Greg Oden hasn't been offered a qualifying offer from Portland, I fully expect that Larry Bird and David Morway will be talking to Oden's agent immediately.

Eleazar
06-28-2011, 09:52 PM
If the Pacers don't even consider Oden I will be completely ok with it. If the Pacers offer Oden a deal along the lines of what Rush, Hibbert, and Jones make with no more than 2 years guaranteed I will be cautiously happy. If the Pacers sign him to more than $5 million a year, or more than 2 years guaranteed I will be pissed.

daschysta
06-28-2011, 09:52 PM
If Portland doesn't offer him a contract then their pretty much writing him off as not able to play again for any extended period of time.

Although they could be spooked by one brandon roy's knee, and outthink themselves.

I'd give him an offer, but no more than 7 million or so, and be heavy with the team options. Someone else will probably give him something bigger though, and price him out of what we would smartly pay.

Maybe he wants to come home though? It's been a rough few years for him, and if he's going to be in a suit alot might as well do it around your friends and family...

If he's healthy enough eventually we'd be in great shape, either to trade him for a difference maker or trade Roy for one. Personally i'd flip Oden though, as really, you never know when he'll go down agian. His value will skyrocket if he's healthy for more than two or three months though, he's absolutely a beast when he plays.

daschysta
06-28-2011, 09:53 PM
yes, offer him around 9 million a year for a 2 year deal with a team option for 2 more years.... if he doesn't pan out then we have a nice expiring for the summer of 2013 when some really good free agents are available

9 million is a bit much, and I sincerely hope many GM's don't use the logic of "hey it'll be a nice expiring contract someday!" when signing free agents and handing out contracts.

ballism
06-28-2011, 10:04 PM
I notice several offers to give Oden a contract with many options.
You can only put one team option in a contract, except rookie contracts.

SMosley21
06-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Did Oden play on the same AAU team as George Hill?

PacerPenguins
06-28-2011, 10:26 PM
i accidentally put no!!! i meant to say yes and i rly want him here bc think of how many more ppl would be at the fieldhouse now that we have george and oden than from last year.

croz24
06-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Did Oden play on the same AAU team as George Hill?

no. but he was on the same team as gordon, conley, mcroberts, and daequan cook

PR07
06-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Any reasonable offer, and I think the Blazers will match it.

panthro_1
06-28-2011, 11:32 PM
If the Pacers don't even consider Oden I will be completely ok with it. If the Pacers offer Oden a deal along the lines of what Rush, Hibbert, and Jones make with no more than 2 years guaranteed I will be cautiously happy. If the Pacers sign him to more than $5 million a year, or more than 2 years guaranteed I will be pissed.

I agree so much, but....

Do we really wanna invest a lot in a guy whos only played 82 games in 3years?
Are we ever gonna stop the bleeding in this maner?

Dont we wanna start using money to aquire assets not potential liabilities?

PacerGuy
06-28-2011, 11:41 PM
A few thoughts:

-This is a situation where being up against an unknown CBA hurts the Pacers in "stealing" Greg, if they indeed wanted him. If we had a clue on the future cap, contract structure, ect., we could make a contract that would be front-loaded & very tough, if not impossible for Portland to match. (You see this in Football quite a bit.) If we paid Greg an amount they could not match due to the cap, even if only in yr 1 of the deal, they would have to pass. Not knowing the terms of a new CBA prevents the Pacers from going this rout w/o taking a big risk.

-The last article I read on Greg is that he will likely not be "ready" untill sometime in the new year. The good news for Greg is if there is a lock-out (as I & many suspect), as a 50 game season would be only getting started then. The bad news is some team will be having to rick paying a good sum for an unknown who's only real "known" is that they will be a 1/2 season (at best) contributer.

-If I'm not mistaken, Greg's agent is M.Conoly Sr. If I am right, this could play very well in Greg's favor (as well as ours!). With MC Sr., there is an emotional element that might not be there with someone who does not know Greg like he does, & he will want what is truely the best for Greg the person. If Greg is as emotionally beat up as we hear he is, maybe coming home might be a great move for him. The support of family & friends could only help this young man (IMO). As for his "fit" on our roster, playing as a b/u to a guy like Roy would be great as the limited min's would allow Greg time to heal (physically & emotionally) and to regain some confidence. For Roy, playing against a solid defensive big every day in practice would be great for him as well. For the team, adding a former #1 pick & potentiel stud defensive big could be huge, plus adding another hometown kid won't hurt the box office either.

Steagles
06-28-2011, 11:42 PM
I'd love to have Oden! I'd almost overpay for him by a few million if he would agree to a 1+1 (Team) contract. If his knee can heal up he's a great player to build a franchise around. If his knees aren't as great but he can stay on the court, he's still an above average backup or an average or below average starter. In this case, I would pursue Oden. The risk is outweighed by the reward on a 1+1T contract that overpays him.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

xBulletproof
06-28-2011, 11:55 PM
I agree so much, but....

Do we really wanna invest a lot in a guy whos only played 82 games in FOUR YEARS?
Are we ever gonna stop the bleeding in this maner?

Dont we wanna start using money to aquire assets not potential liabilities?

Fixed bolded text.

I've been over it multiple times, Oden has a problem that was known before he was drafted, and that problem is known to cause other problems in peoples knees, ankles, hips, and back. Normal people that is, not even 7 foot tall people who push their bodies to the limits. It was known when he was drafted, and on top of that his wrist never fully healed from his high school injury, either. We've already seen how the problem effects him, and yet people are still willing to throw millions and millions of dollars at him hoping for a miracle.

Best case scenario is that you hope he's healthy for the playoffs and has a Bob Sanders effect on the team in the playoffs. His track record is as good as Bob Sanders, but everyone was clamoring to get rid of him. I guess if Bob Sanders went to Lawrence North people would have given him another fat contract after they released him. I just don't get it. At least in the NFL you can get rid of the guy. In the NBA you're likely stuck with him for the duration no matter what.

Pacersalltheway10
06-29-2011, 01:54 AM
The only way he doesn't get the qualifying is if Blazers are sure he's done.

Not necessarily. Even Portland might think the 9 million qualifying offer is too much and will let him test free agency in hopes of negotiating a smaller contract with Oden.

Pacersalltheway10
06-29-2011, 02:00 AM
If Portland doesn't offer him a contract then their pretty much writing him off as not able to play again for any extended period of time.

Although they could be spooked by one brandon roy's knee, and outthink themselves.

I'd give him an offer, but no more than 7 million or so, and be heavy with the team options. Someone else will probably give him something bigger though, and price him out of what we would smartly pay.

Maybe he wants to come home though? It's been a rough few years for him, and if he's going to be in a suit alot might as well do it around your friends and family...

If he's healthy enough eventually we'd be in great shape, either to trade him for a difference maker or trade Roy for one. Personally i'd flip Oden though, as really, you never know when he'll go down agian. His value will skyrocket if he's healthy for more than two or three months though, he's absolutely a beast when he plays.

Or Portland even thinks a 9 million contract is too much and will try to get him to agree to a cheaper contract wheb he's an unrestricted free agent.

ballism
06-29-2011, 02:35 AM
A player doesn't get cheaper when he's unrestricted. Unless he's a bum and noone wants him.
So again, there will be a qualifying, or Blazers think he's done. If they don't extend the qualifying, that's a very clear indication of what they think of his future.

Taterhead
06-29-2011, 02:36 AM
Eric Gordon wasn't on that team he was on a team with Drose

I watched the team he is talking about play myself. So in that regard, you are wrong.

Gordon and D Rose only played together one year I believe, in 2006.

pacer4ever
06-29-2011, 02:44 AM
I watched the team he is talking about play myself. So in that regard, you are wrong.

Gordon and D Rose only played together one year I believe, in 2006.

I didn't think he ever played with Oden what year was that?

EDIT I never watched him much in AAU because of the way AAU is played i follow him in HS ball. I knew Conely and Oden played together but i was not aware EJ was on that team.

GizzyStardust
06-29-2011, 03:00 AM
Greg Oden is the reason that NBA players should have non-guaranteed contracts.

CableKC
06-29-2011, 03:06 AM
The Blazers would be stupid to not give him a qualifying offer. If Teams are willing to over pay for him...then the Blazers walk away...if Teams lowball him....the Blazers can match and get him for market price ( assuming that the offer is within their range of how much they want to spend for him ). No matter what he has done....he is still an asset that ( at worst ) could turn out to be a Backup Center with a reasonable Contract offer. Again, the question is "How much is too much for the Blazers to pay?".

SMosley21
06-29-2011, 08:01 AM
The Blazers would be stupid to not give him a qualifying offer. If Teams are willing to over pay for him...then the Blazers walk away...if Teams lowball him....the Blazers can match and get him for market price ( assuming that the offer is within their range of how much they want to spend for him ). No matter what he has done....he is still an asset that ( at worst ) could turn out to be a Backup Center with a reasonable Contract offer. Again, the question is "How much is too much for the Blazers to pay?".

Not when the qualifying offer is something like $8.5 million. That's just the QUALIFYING offer. I'd be hard pressed to think of a team that would give him that much annually if he were unrestricted, without adding some serious injury provisions to his contract.

Jimmy
06-29-2011, 08:28 AM
A good way to take Oden from the Blazers would be to front-load his contract. This would take Portland well into the luxury tax and really make them reconsider keeping him. If Bird doesn't front load a contract if he gets a big free-agent this summer I will be upset. If we give him 14 million next season we will still be well under the cap and then could give 7 and 5 million the years after (3 yrs/26million). Then we still have plenty of money to sign our core the years after. We take a chance with money that wouldn't be used otherwise making this a low risk/high reward situation with money left to spend in 2012.

Pacersalltheway10
06-29-2011, 08:30 AM
A player doesn't get cheaper when he's unrestricted. Unless he's a bum and noone wants him.
So again, there will be a qualifying, or Blazers think he's done. If they don't extend the qualifying, that's a very clear indication of what they think of his future.

An unrestricted free agent who opts out of a contract doesn't get cheaper. If he gets the qualifying offer of 8.5 million, and the Blazers really want him and some team offers him 60 million for 5 years that the Blazers couldn't match because they'll be in cap hell. It doesn't mean he's done for if they don't give him a qualifying offer. It would be for financial reasons.

xIndyFan
06-29-2011, 08:36 AM
if the blazers offer him a QO, then there isn't much point in going after him. odds are he just takes the QO and says close enough. with the new CBA, the QO is more than he will get on the market, imo at least.

but if portland doesn't offer a QO, the pacers should get involved. i am sure that a contract can be written that gives greg market value if he can play and the pacers protection if he is injured. oden has great size and strength. decent skill. any team can use him if he is healthy. the trick is getting him a contract that pays him a lot to play and pays him little to not play. they have lots of clever guys at the pacers FO, mike conley sr is a clever guy, so they should be able to design a contract that makes everyone happy.

xIndyFan
06-29-2011, 08:37 AM
An unrestricted free agent who opts out of a contract doesn't get cheaper. If he gets the qualifying offer of 8.5 million, and the Blazers really want him and some team offers him 60 million for 5 years that the Blazers couldn't match because they'll be in cap hell. It doesn't mean he's done for if they don't give him a qualifying offer. It would be for financial reasons.

if some team does offer that kind of money, the pacers then :sigh: and :eek: then start looking for someone else. :laugh:

Rogco
06-29-2011, 08:39 AM
9 million is a bit much, and I sincerely hope many GM's don't use the logic of "hey it'll be a nice expiring contract someday!" when signing free agents and handing out contracts.

Actually, I would hope my GM would think about a contract being a nice expiring, what year it's expiring, who may be a free agent that year, and how it fits into the overall cap room the team is working in (our own fa and rfa etc...) A two year contract makes the risk much more worth it because if it doesn't work it's only for one year, the next year it's an expiring and a trade chip.

ballism
06-29-2011, 10:53 AM

Say what? This fantasy means that Oden won't get qualifying offer why?

Look man, he'll get qualifying, unless they have given up on him. And if they have given up on him, it's bad news for him and for anyone who hopes he'll be a special player. Because you don't give up after investing so much unless you did the research and you don't see much hope.

croz24
06-29-2011, 11:04 AM

EDIT I never watched him much in AAU because of the way AAU is played i follow him in HS ball. I knew Conely and Oden played together but i was not aware EJ was on that team.

yea, ej and drose played on i believe meanstreets express year before ej went to iu. and that's why many iu fans such as myself thought iu would beat out kentucky for rose. but when ej was a soph he played for spiece indy heat with the players i mentioned to form probably the best aau team to date.

Triangle
06-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Greg Oden is the reason that NBA players should have non-guaranteed contracts.

Eddy Curry is the reason that NBA players should have non-guaranteed contracts...

Speed
06-29-2011, 11:38 AM
What would be the over/under on games played if the Pacers acquired Oden, Brandon Roy, Michael Redd, and David West?

328 possible games between those 4. What 140, maybe?

SMosley21
06-29-2011, 11:43 AM

Look man, he'll get qualifying, unless they have given up on him. And if they have given up on him, it's bad news for him and for anyone who hopes he'll be a special player. Because you don't give up after investing so much unless you did the research and you don't see much hope.

Or maybe they're just afraid to put that much money into him considering they're currently dealing with the whole Brandon Roy situation as well. Just because the Blazers might not feel like the risk is worth the reward, doesn't mean some other team should feel the same way unless they're in a similar situation.

DocHolliday
06-29-2011, 11:44 AM

I don't think it's as black & white as "if the Blazers don't offer him a contract, they think he's done". As someone stated earlier in this thread, maybe the Brandon Roy situation will cause them to shy away from making an offer. One expensive injury-prone player is about all any team can afford. Two such players and you're really rolling the dice. If I'm the Blazers and it comes down to Brandon Roy or Greg Oden, I go with Roy since he showed some life in the playoffs.

ballism
06-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Look if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the 1st time I'm wrong or even 100th.
But 9 mil qualifying offer for one year on a guy you picked 1st and invested so much money, time and effort into him, and you are over cap no matter if you extend the qualifying or not, and you are the team that used to throw away ~10 mil every year just to sweeten multiple small draft day deals, and you need a center desperately, and a healthy Oden is the one thing that separates you from mediocrity or contending...
I just don't see how Blazers don't extend the qualifying unless they are ready to lose him.
It just seems unrealistic to me. If you think he's worth a chance, you make him restricted and go from there, look at the offers.

Justin Tyme
06-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Actually, I would hope my GM would think about a contract being a nice expiring, what year it's expiring,

I probably feel less about expiring contracts than most. The Pacers went into the season with 6 (Murphy, Dun, Ford, Foster, Solo, and McBob) and only 1 got traded. That says to me they aren't as valuable as most feel they are. I wouldn't put my eggs in the basket counting on another team taking a players expiring. If you are counting on it, there is a good chance it will come back to bite you.

CableKC
06-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Not when the qualifying offer is something like $8.5 million. That's just the QUALIFYING offer. I'd be hard pressed to think of a team that would give him that much annually if he were unrestricted, without adding some serious injury provisions to his contract.
$8.5 mil?

Ouch....so if a Team offers him a contract at $5 mil a year....how would that work out for the Team making the offer and the Blazers?

imbtyler
06-29-2011, 02:30 PM
If he's looking productively better, I don't see why we wouldn't try to get Oden. Chances are, someone offers him more, or he takes the Blazers' offer, but with the team we're building, it wouldn't hurt to offer money to him, to entice him to come back to Indy (though he may not miss/cherish "home" as much as Hill). If he takes our offer, he'd be an incredible asset, as long as he slimmed down, stayed healthy, and came back to the league as strong and dominant as he was uninjured.

cgg
06-29-2011, 02:42 PM
$8.5 mil?

Ouch....so if a Team offers him a contract at $5 mil a year....how would that work out for the Team making the offer and the Blazers?

Then Oden can choose to sign the 5m/year contract and the blazers get the option to match or he can choose to sign the 8.5m qualifying offer for one year, or he can sign no contract and not play in the NBA.

Why would they not pick up his 4th year option if they were going to make the qualifying offer for more $ though?

naptownmenace
06-29-2011, 03:45 PM
If I wake up Friday morning and Greg Oden hasn't been offered a qualifying offer from Portland, I fully expect that Larry Bird and David Morway will be talking to Oden's agent immediately.

They won't be able to because there will probably be a Lockout in effect.

If the Blazers just cut their losses with Oden, I guess I could see bringing him in for 6-7 million max on a 4 year deal with only the first 2 guaranteed.

Still, I don't think they should because I have little faith that he will ever be healthy enough to play 70 games. Even if he does play, I doubt he'll be effective enough to play better than Roy Hibbert.

He hasn't even been cleared to run under his full weight yet. That's not a good sign considering he had surgery (his second microfracture surgery in 3 years) 7 months ago. I pass.

Swish
06-29-2011, 03:48 PM
From Marc Spears:

Blazers told Greg Oden's mgmt earlier this week they will tender 1yr, $8.8 mill qualifying offer 2 make him a restricted FA, sources tell Y!

http://twitter.com/#!/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/86157097217179648

Sorry, didn't see this topic first.

A.B.Hollywood
06-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Gordon played some with Oden but not the whole time. McBob did though as did Dequan Cook. The one year with Eric Gordon was hands down the sickest AAU team of all time.

A.B.Hollywood
06-29-2011, 06:43 PM
I said this in another post and I will reiterate it here. If the Pacers are looking for true CHAMPIONSHIP level moves then Greg Oden is the way to go. The chances of us signing a top 10 player like Howard or CP3 or whomever are VERY low. But with Oden we have the biggest risk/reward in free agency I can ever recall.

It is an if and a BIG "IF" but if he can come black and play 65+ games a year and be good to go for the playoffs this team just went from the Atlanta Hawks as a peak to the Celtics. He can be THAT good.

The only reason we can even have this discussion is the injury history. That unfortunate set of circumstances could have been the break (literally) we needed to get a true superstar in our town. You all think the biggest weakness is a defensive minded juggernaut of a Defender who can rebound, block shots and take names?

Well... here he is.

PacerDude
06-29-2011, 08:51 PM
$8.8 for a guy that really hasn't proven himself in the NBA ??

No thanks. His last 5, 6 years have been full of injuries. Everyone complained about the albatross contracts of Dunleavey, Murphy, etc... We finally get out from those and many of those same people want to spend over $8.8 on an injury-prone guy ??

xBulletproof
06-29-2011, 09:01 PM
$8.8 for a guy that really hasn't proven himself in the NBA ??

No thanks. His last 5, 6 years have been full of injuries. Everyone complained about the albatross contracts of Dunleavey, Murphy, etc... We finally get out from those and many of those same people want to spend over $8.8 on an injury-prone guy ??

He's so talented though, he'll swat shots with sheer intimidation while wearing a suit.

PacerDude
06-29-2011, 09:31 PM
He's so talented though, he'll swat shots with sheer intimidation while wearing a suit.
And he'll tear the suit. :D

graphic-er
06-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Only way I see signing him is if he gave us a home town discount.

pacer4ever
06-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Only way I see signing him is if he gave us a home town discount.

Then the Tblazer would match the offer

rabid
06-29-2011, 11:52 PM
I said this in another post and I will reiterate it here. If the Pacers are looking for true CHAMPIONSHIP level moves then Greg Oden is the way to go. The chances of us signing a top 10 player like Howard or CP3 or whomever are VERY low. But with Oden we have the biggest risk/reward in free agency I can ever recall.

I can kind of see this, but the timing isn't right. Even if we are super lucky and he pans out, we're still not a contender for another few years. The young guys just aren't ready yet, no matter who you surround them with. It's going to take a little time.

If we were at the point where we were looking to be a top 3 seed in the East already, then yeah, go ahead and take a risk to get to that championship level. But Oden even if healthy isn't going to get it done, and so now you're not only betting on him being healthy (already a longshot), but now you're betting he STAYS healthy for 2,3,4 + years.

Which, unless he pulls a Grant Hill, isn't gonna happen. Seriously the odds are in the single-percentage points IMO. So no thanks.

pacer4ever
06-30-2011, 01:46 AM
Gordon played some with Oden but not the whole time. McBob did though as did Dequan Cook. The one year with Eric Gordon was hands down the sickest AAU team of all time.

ok that makes more sense I knew Jmac played with the LN boys but i didn't remember EJ ever playing with Oden.

ilive4sports
06-30-2011, 05:44 AM
I don't want to pay him more than what Portland has offered. Too much for a guy who has played 1 full season in 4 seasons.