PDA

View Full Version : They're Not Here To Screw Around (Golden State's new owners)

SMosley21
06-28-2011, 06:52 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/06/28/theyre-not-here-to-screw-around/

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nsB2t7poqMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OAKLAND – The latest was announcing Tuesday they had purchased control of basketball operations of the NBA Development League team in Bismarck, N.D., which came after they spent $2 million during the draft to acquire the second-round pick that became Jeremy Tyler, which came after foiled attempts to spend $3 million to get an additional first-rounder, which came after all the spending of the previous months. Paying David Lee some $80 million to come, paying Don Nelson another $6 million to stay away, giving up an unknown ownership share to get Jerry West to join the front office, and – oh, yeah – heading the group that paid a league-record $450 million to get the Warriors in the first place.

Joe Lacob and Peter Guber promised a serious financial commitment upon taking control last November, and they have delivered. In a time of economic hardship for many around them, the Warriors have signed huge contracts, fired a high-paid coach with a year left on his contract, handed over a portion of the team to land West, and made a bold strike in the draft. All in less than a year, with the understanding that Lacob and Guber were far enough along in buying the franchise last summer that they probably could have scuttled the Lee sign-and-trade that officially went down on the watch of predecessor Chris Cohan.

Golden State was in such buyer’s mode Thursday that the $2 million sent to the Bobcats for Tyler as the No. 39 pick was actually the fallback. The Warriors, Lacob said, had tried to get another pick in the second half of the first round, likely at the going-rate cost of $3 million, which would have meant a second guaranteed contract after drafting Klay Thompson at 11. Nothing materialized, Lacob told NBA.com, because potential trade partners wanted players in return, not money.

“We would have done that as well if we felt that we could get a player wanted,” Lacob said of spending the $3 million. “Look, we’re not here to screw around. We’re here to make this team better, any way we can, whether it be the new medical doctors, training staff, coaching staff, general manager, Jerry West, dollars, players. We’re going to get there and we’re not going to stop. I’ve tried to say this over and over and over again, and people are going to start to see it here. We are going to do everything possible to give ourselves every chance to contend.”

A fan base that has been passionate and patient to an extreme, ranking among the league leaders in attendance despite a history as lottery regulars, deserves nothing less. And the Warriors faithful would have embraced Lacob and Guber no matter what, simply as a change from the unpopular Cohan. But now that the new owners have followed through on promises, and have a relationship with backers in a way the disconnected Cohan did not enjoy, Lacob and Guber are standing out as more than just a contrast from the past.

(It is worth noting that, for all the verbal abuse he took, spending was hardly a primary Cohan problem. If anything, he overpaid for Adonal Foyle, Derek Fisher, Mike Dunleavy, Stephen Jackson and Troy Murphy in deals negotiated y since-departed executives Chris Mullin and Robert Rowell. Cohan also took on Nelson as one of the highest-paid coaches in the league despite previous bad blood.)

Besides, Tyler is a sensible investment. An expensive one given how many players become something after lasting into the second round, but understandable. The Warriors need help at center and Tyler is 6-feet-10 and has enough potential that some teams were looking at him in the 20s and even as high as the late-teens. No one would be surprised if he eventually develops into part of the rotation. That’s when the $2-million price tag, beyond the contract, would be more than just the statement of the moment.

These guys sound like owners who are seriously committed to giving their fanbase, an EXTREMELY loyal fanbase, the product that they deserve. I might have to root for Golden State out west once the next season rolls around.

Here's a video of their rookies being introduced to the media. I really think the purchase of the Jeremy Tyler pick is going to prove to be one of the smartest moves in this year's draft. By all accounts, he's matured quite a bit in his time overseas and from the video you can kind of see that he's appreciative of his spot more so now than he would have been 2 years ago.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5dIXspZi4QY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, I could be way off base because I don't know much about the kid, but Klay Thompson seems like a bit of a jerk during that interview.

Scot Pollard
06-28-2011, 06:58 PM
That's really stupid considering the name is WIZARDS!

The Wizards should've bought them.

The Warriors need to change the name ASAP.

SMosley21
06-28-2011, 07:00 PM
That's really stupid considering the name is WIZARDS!

The Wizards should've bought them.

The Warriors need to change the name ASAP.

Uhhh, ok. I'm pretty sure the name had about as much to do with their purchase as the team colors.

Scot Pollard
06-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Uhhh, ok. I'm pretty sure the name had about as much to do with their purchase as the team colors.

Wait what?

Are we talking about the Warriors ownership buying the Dakota Wizards of the D-League?

SMosley21
06-29-2011, 09:47 AM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214437/Warriors_Purchase_Dakota_Wizards_Will_Explore_Relo cation_To_Northern_California

The Golden State Warriors, led by Co-Executive Chairmen Joe Lacob and Peter Guber, have purchased the Dakota Wizards franchise in the NBA Development League from Bismarck Professional Basketball LLC, it was announced today at a press conference in Bismarck, North Dakota.

The Warriors will become the fourth NBA team to currently own and operate their own NBA D-League affiliate, joining San Antonio, Oklahoma City and the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Wizards will remain in Bismarck during the 2011-12 D-League season – the franchise’s 17th in North Dakota – and the club will explore options of a potential move to Northern California the following season.

“We’re really excited about the opportunity to acquire an NBA D-League team and view it as a proactive decision,” said Lacob. “As we have previously mentioned, one of our goals is to provide our organization with any elements that we think could provide us an advantage. The fact that we will now operate our own D-League team – complete with our coaches and organizational philosophy – will put us in a better position to evaluate and develop potential NBA players, including any of our first or second year players who may spend a stint in the D-League. We think this is a critical step and another plus for our organization. And, we could not have found a more qualified candidate than Jim Weyermann to oversee the team from an operations standpoint.”

The last paragraph seems like an approach that could pay big dividends. The Warriors have been one of the teams to really strike gold (Anthony Morrow, Reggie Williams, Chris Hunter, Anthony Tolliver) through the D-League the past few seasons, so operating their own D-League franchise could prove to be even more beneficial.

d_c
06-29-2011, 11:38 AM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214437/Warriors_Purchase_Dakota_Wizards_Will_Explore_Relo cation_To_Northern_California

The last paragraph seems like an approach that could pay big dividends. The Warriors have been one of the teams to really strike gold (Anthony Morrow, Reggie Williams, Chris Hunter, Anthony Tolliver) through the D-League the past few seasons, so operating their own D-League franchise could prove to be even more beneficial.

I like what Lacob has done of late, bringing in guys like West and Bob Myers and FINALLY getting rid of that stooge Robert Rowell. That guy was an organizational cancer in every way. He shouldn't have been kept around as a popcorn vendor, much less Team President.

That being said, I think the D-League purchase is kind of a waste of resources. You're spending millions upon millions to keep afloat an entity so that every so often you're able to find a role player like Anthony Morrow or Reggie Williams. In the end, I just don't think that's really worht it. I don't know if that's a good enough return on investment for me to want to operate that. Not just for the Warriors, but pretty much the entire NBA. Most guys are either good enough or they aren't to cut it.

I'd rather Lacob just make more moves like spending $2M to take a flyer on guys like Jeremy Tyler. I think that's a better use of resources. But it's his money and not mine. As long as he's got enough of his own money and he can use it when needed to help the team win, then that's fine with me.

Brad8888
06-29-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm Gonna Make A Change,
For Once In My Life
It's Gonna Feel Real Good,
Gonna Make A Difference
Gonna Make It Right . . .

odeez
06-29-2011, 02:05 PM
The new ownership is making a lot of great moves. I am glad I am here to see it. They plan on using the Minor League baseball model with the this Dakota team, and are also in the process of trying to move the team to Northern California in the future. I like the move! San Jose might be a good spot?

Trophy
06-29-2011, 02:13 PM
The Warriors love the D-League and always seem to find decent young players.

Their best find, I think is Reggie Williams. That guy is a deadly scorer.

d_c
06-29-2011, 02:31 PM
They plan on using the Minor League baseball model with the this Dakota team

Sounds like a good model to emulate, but the reality is much different. The minor league baseball system is actually viable in terms of developing talent. Talent in the minors eventually gets developed and farmed out to the big clubs.

I just know that there have been millions upon millions invested into the league so we can see guys like Anthony Tolliver eventually become a decent bench player. I just don't think the D League is really worth it's cost.

In the NBA guys pretty much either have the talent they don't. Even an undrafted guy like Wesley Matthews bypassed the D League entirely and just made the roster after the end of training camp.

wintermute
06-29-2011, 03:37 PM
I just know that there have been millions upon millions invested into the league so we can see guys like Anthony Tolliver eventually become a decent bench player. I just don't think the D League is really worth it's cost.

I don't know about "millions upon millions". A D-League team's basketball operations cost around $300k-400k per year, including salaries of players, coaches, and trainers. Link here (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-dleagueoption030509). There's also the cost of the team itself, but I doubt very much that it would exceed $1m. The Dakota Wizards probably cost Lacob considerably less than Jeremy Tyler's $2m price tag.

If I were you, I'd be encouraged by the fact that the only other teams to own their own D-League teams are the Spurs, the Thunder, and the Lakers. That's pretty good company for the Warriors to be keeping.

wintermute
06-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Interestingly, the Pacers might have interest in the D-League too (finally!). This rumor came out about a month ago courtesy of Ridiculous Upside.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2011/5/5/2154540/d-league-hybrid-affiliation-nba-teams

According to two league sources, both the Cleveland Cavaliers and Indiana Pacers have seriously looked into buying into the D-League while the New York Knicks are also still being batted around as a team that is interested in signing on with a D-League squad (something that's been rumored for years).

As far as the Pacers are concerned, two people contacted on Wednesday told Ridiculous Upside that Indiana has contacted at least one D-League team about interest with the idea being to begin a hybrid affiliation. This is quite surprising considering Indiana's previous usage of the D-League (read: none aside from the hiring of Vitaly Potapenko following his one season with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants as the second assistant), but if they were able to instill their own coaching staff, I can see why the Pacers would find it as a low-cost opportunity to develop this year's NBA Draft picks along with Lance Stephenson and any other young players that join the team for next season.

Obviously nothing's happened since then, but maybe they're just waiting to see how the lockout shakes out.

Trophy
06-29-2011, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we purchased the Reno Bighorns because Herb Simon's son Steve owns them partially.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Steve one day became the Pacers owner.

CableKC
06-29-2011, 03:55 PM

A little known fact.....Reggie Williams was the leading NCAA scorer in the 2006-2007 and 2007-2008.

If the FO is looking for a SG that can score and they strike out on any top tier FA SG.....I'd easily consider adding Reggie Williams as "Plan B".

I'm hoping that they relocate the DLeague Team to San Jose.

SycamoreKen
06-30-2011, 12:47 AM
The Spurs use their D-League team in Austin pretty regularly. When their #1 pick Anderson got hurt last year they sent him down to get actually playing time instead of just riding the pine. They also rotate the last couple guys on the bench through there as well.

pacer4ever
06-30-2011, 05:08 AM
Jermany Tyler can not play they wasted their money IMO he is all hype. (time will tell but i am pretty confident he will just be a big body. David Harrison 2.0 the guy cant play) (But with that said there has been several players who play 7-10 years with no skills just size so maybe he can be a backup) (again i could be wrong but i don't like his chances not very smart player and not very skilled either)

HickeyS2000
06-30-2011, 04:13 PM

I would be happy for San Jose as well, as I just started a 2 year project there. If not, I guess I'll just have to make due with perfect weather and great views.

PacersHomer
06-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Cow Palace seems like a possible destination as well.

SMosley21
06-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Jermany Tyler can not play they wasted their money IMO he is all hype. (time will tell but i am pretty confident he will just be a big body. David Harrison 2.0 the guy cant play) (But with that said there has been several players who play 7-10 years with no skills just size so maybe he can be a backup) (again i could be wrong but i don't like his chances not very smart player and not very skilled either)

How can someone who was the top recruit in the nation a couple years ago "not play". I'd like to think scouts are a little smarter than that.

pacer4ever
06-30-2011, 11:23 PM
How can someone who was the top recruit in the nation a couple years ago "not play". I'd like to think scouts are a little smarter than that.

look at his body

CableKC
06-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Cow Palace seems like a possible destination as well.
That's near CandleStick Park...out in the boonies...south of San Francisco. :(

I say San Jose, so that I can bring my kid to cheap NBADL Basketball games and don't have to drive to Oakland to see a Basketball game ;)

d_c
06-30-2011, 11:39 PM

It's way better and, in fact, more economical to take a $2M flyer on a guy like Tyler than give a $40M or $55M contract to guys like Foyle or Biedrins.

For one thing, the $2M won't count against the cap. It's nothing more than the owner's own money. If he's willing to spend it for a basketball purpose, then great. It's not my money, it didn't cost the team any other assets, and it doesn't affect how the team has to operate.

Spending a small amount of money to take a peek at someone like Tyler is way smarter than giving a stiff a bloated contract for just being big, which has been a pretty common practice in the NBA.

pacer4ever
06-30-2011, 11:45 PM
It's way better and, in fact, more economical to take a $2M flyer on a guy like Tyler than give a $40M or $55M contract to guys like Foyle or Biedrins.

For one thing, the $2M won't count against the cap. It's nothing more than the owner's own money. If he's willing to spend it for a basketball purpose, then great. It's not my money, it didn't cost the team any other assets, and it doesn't affect how the team has to operate.

Spending a small amount of money to take a peek at someone like Tyler is way smarter than giving a stiff a bloated contract for just being big, which has been a pretty common practice in the NBA.
I agree with what you are saying
Thats my point though Foyle is the perfect example the guy couldn't play but had a nice career in the NBA as a backup. I just dont think he will ever be a good starter he has poor basketball IQ and is raw. Maybe if they put him in the Dleague and develop him he can get a lot better i just don't like his game. Again it is worth the gamble because the owners are willing to pay the money but i just dont think he will be a good pro he is all hype IMO.

SMosley21
01-08-2013, 10:16 AM
These guys have done exactly what they said they would. Very happy to see Coach Jackson succeed out west. Also happy to see Jarrett Jack and Brandon Rush (prior to his knee injury) play so well. Those guys were my 2 favorite players a few years ago and I don't think either of them ever got their just due.

mattie
01-08-2013, 10:23 AM
"Not here to mess around" reminds me of this: lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw7KijRfU-c

sportfireman
01-08-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm Gonna Make A Change,
For Once In My Life
It's Gonna Feel Real Good,
Gonna Make A Difference
Gonna Make It Right . . .

As I, Turn Up The Collar On My
Favourite Winter Coat
This Wind Is Blowin' My Mind
I See The Kids In The Street,
With Not Enough To Eat
Who Am I, To Be Blind?
Pretending Not To See
Their Needs

Justin Tyme
01-08-2013, 11:50 AM

So dead-ly he's sitting on the 9 win Bobcats bench playing sparingly at 9MPG in 20 games. He's a product of Nellie's smallball freeshooting system. He can't play "D". He's basically a chucker who since coming to the Bobcats is 42% FG, 31% 3pt, and this year is 45% FT. If he can't play for the Bobcats, then he has a major problem. If he was any good, some other NBA team would have traded for him by now with a 2.6 mil expiring contract.

A month or so ago, I scoured the league for a bench shooter for the Pacers. His name caught my eye until I looked at his stats and figured out he wasn't a player the Pacers needed.

Pacer Fan
01-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Seriously, you think Klay was a jerk in the press conference...what's wrong with you man!

HickeyS2000
01-08-2013, 01:47 PM

I just noticed how old this post is.