PDA

View Full Version : Food for Thought

90'sNBARocked
06-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1713&status=Inactive#ixzz1Qc3qOHwr

Sally in From the Valley:
Why did Rodney Buford unload George Hill? I know reports say the Spurs were enamored with Kawhi Leonard, but were you surprised they gave up a proven player for a mid first rounder?

epincus@hoopsworld.com:
I was surprised but Hill didn't really progress last year like the team had hoped.

I hope they dont know something that we will find out later

CableKC
06-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1713&status=Inactive#ixzz1Qc3qOHwr

Why does Hoopsworld have to rain on my parade?

Ehh...I'm not going to read too much into that.....GH at worst is what I'd hope for.... specifically a solid Backup ComboGuard that can help us for the near future.

Peck
06-28-2011, 06:47 PM

They don't.

It was a dreaded salary cap move for them, nothing more nothing less. They got back a rookie contract and two players they can take flyers on and not pay a penny.

pacer4ever
06-28-2011, 06:49 PM

He didn't get better last season like the Spurs fans expected him too. That is why most fans on their message boards were ok with the trade.

Scot Pollard
06-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Here we go again....thinking way too much into **** from stupid website writers.

Where he is now if going to be good for him. He's going to get a way bigger role here and he's better off with the Pacers.

90'sNBARocked
06-28-2011, 07:45 PM
He didn't get better last season like the Spurs fans expected him too. That is why most fans on their message boards were ok with the trade.

Hey bro, what were you hearing from their fans?

pacer4ever
06-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Hey bro, what were you hearing from their fans?
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2/ (in the George Hill trade to pacers thread)

I just like to read around and get others opinions. Some say the trade wouldn't of happen if he improved like they though he could of.

Kemo
06-28-2011, 08:00 PM
http://www.sanitaryum.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/baby-haters_gonna_hate.gif

LOL

yoadknux
06-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Maybe he didn't progress, but from what I heard the main reason for the trade was "Ok. We can't resign him so lets trade him". IMO this move may say "We're probably done contending with this core". Sure, their 3 main players are still there, but one of them is 35, the other is 34 next month and the third one was getting shopped

PR07
06-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Who's to say George Hill didn't ask out either?

Pacersalltheway10
06-28-2011, 09:12 PM
How could he progress? Here are his numbers from the past 3 seasons:

Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
08-09 SAS 77 7 16.5 0.403 0.329 0.781 0.4 1.7 2.1 1.8 0.6 0.3 0.96 1.95 5.7
09-10 SAS 78 43 29.2 0.478 0.399 0.772 0.5 2.1 2.6 2.9 0.9 0.3 1.29 2.85 12.4
10-11 SAS 76 5 28.3 0.453 0.377 0.863 0.3 2.3 2.6 2.5 0.9 0.3 1.30 2.01 11.6

He actually lost a minute this season and started 38 less games.

JBones19
06-28-2011, 09:31 PM
With all due respect, I think I have as much "inside knowledge" posting on this website as Eric Pincus has writing for hoopsworld.

pacer4ever
06-28-2011, 10:47 PM
With all due respect, I think I have as much "inside knowledge" posting on this website as Eric Pincus has writing for hoopsworld.

not really i mean he has insider info with the Clippers

wintermute
06-29-2011, 03:41 AM
After Hill's second year, there was some thought that he can eventually replace Parker as the starting PG. In his third year though, his PG skills didn't progress which probably led the Spurs to think he won't eventually be starting quality.

So yeah, he didn't develop into the slot that the Spurs were pegging him for. Doesn't mean that he's a bad player, or that he won't find a fit with the Pacers. He'll have the opportunity to carve out a new role here, and where he fits I think is as a scoring combo guard who also defends. I'm fully expecting him to have a breakout year in scoring given his likely role with us.

90'sNBARocked
06-29-2011, 10:12 AM

Eric Pincus covers the Lakers and Clippers for the LA Times and also has a radio show on Sporting News

Speed
06-29-2011, 11:02 AM
I kinda thought the salary thing was a cop out by SA. You get him next year for 2 million, then you can tender a qualifying offer at a reasonable price and make him a restricted free agent.

Doubtful someone would throw huge money at him in that situation to which the Pacers could just match or let him walk. Then you can sign him long term at probably a decent price.

Not sure what his qualifier is for the 26th pick in year 5, but I doubt its that much, honestly.

To me, the window for the Pacers to get better externally starts now and end after the season after next when you'll have to make a decision on Roy and George Hill, then the following year on Hansbrough and DC.

---------

Edit, I'm thinking about it now, is it right that a player in year 5 will be restricted or is Hill unrestricted after next year?

pacer4ever
06-29-2011, 01:17 PM
I kinda thought the salary thing was a cop out by SA. You get him next year for 2 million, then you can tender a qualifying offer at a reasonable price and make him a restricted free agent.

Doubtful someone would throw huge money at him in that situation to which the Pacers could just match or let him walk. Then you can sign him long term at probably a decent price.

Not sure what his qualifier is for the 26th pick in year 5, but I doubt its that much, honestly.

To me, the window for the Pacers to get better externally starts now and end after the season after next when you'll have to make a decision on Roy and George Hill, then the following year on Hansbrough and DC.

---------

Edit, I'm thinking about it now, is it right that a player in year 5 will be restricted or is Hill unrestricted after next year?

They were not gonna match they don't want to pay the luxury tax or overpay. They did it to get Richard Jefferson and you see how that turned out. It was all money driven. George Hill will get over paid it happens all the time.

Tom White
06-29-2011, 01:30 PM
They don't.

It was a dreaded salary cap move for them, nothing more nothing less. They got back a rookie contract and two players they can take flyers on and not pay a penny.

I agree. As to the article, I think that is just a case of Eric Pincus showing his lack of knowledge/insight.

Tom White
06-29-2011, 01:33 PM
not really i mean he has insider info with the Clippers

Yes, and a few years ago he tried to convince us he had insight into the Lakers inner circle during trade rumors.