PDA

View Full Version : Danny Granger a lazy dude? or just sarcasm?

graphic-er
06-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Inlight of the recent addition of Hill to the Pacers. There was some other Pacer related news/gossip out there as well and it came from Paul George during an interview on the Grady and Big Joe show.

I have don't have the exact quote in front of me, and the podcast is not up yet on their website.

But the question was about working in the off-season and what Paul George was doing.
He answered that he has been working alot with Danny out in Cali, and Danny has always been known as a lazy dude and that Danny was working especially hard this off-season.

My first reaction to this was a jolly laugh, because it was a funny comment in its delivery but then I went WTF?

After the interview Grady had a some what similar reaction and was pretty surprised by the comment.

I'm not really sure if it was PG just joking and ribbing a bit at Danny on the radio or something more? I've always considered Granger to be a pretty hard worker, he did after all increase his scoring 5pts a year for like 4 consecutive seasons. I mean its hard to argue with his results as a player since coming into the league.

But being that PG is a long time work out partner with Granger, and in the locker room with him now. Maybe there is something there that the average fan does not know? There have been issues with unnamed players over the past few years not working hard during practice and all....

Your thoughts?

BPump33
06-28-2011, 09:13 AM
I just want to add that the interview was from the draft party. They just played it on the Grady and Big Joe show.

I thought he was just taking a jab at Danny, but who knows.

Frostwolf
06-28-2011, 09:16 AM
all I can say is this thread is going to get way longer than it deserves to.

90'sNBARocked
06-28-2011, 09:19 AM
I think it was all in fun. I mean wasnt Danny working out in LA with Paul George before we drafted him?

Also I think if thats how PG really felt, he wouldnt have said anything about it on the radio. The fact that he did, makes me think it was just a little playfull ribbing

Trader Joe
06-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Danny's been mentioned on several players twitters as leading their workouts, so this comment does not concern me.

bphil
06-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Last year NBA.com had a video feature about Danny's summer workouts. Dood works his butt off. PG was probably being sarcastic.

naptownmenace
06-28-2011, 09:35 AM
He had to be joking.

I doubt that Danny was lazy last summer. He was out in LA last summer working out and he worked out with Team USA for the WBC. There is no way a lazy player is going to make it onto a Coach K team.

Since86
06-28-2011, 09:37 AM
This is why I'm a big fan of Twitter. It allows you insight to player's personalities and see how they are the other 99% of their life when they aren't on a basketball court.

PG is a clown. He's always giving his teammates a hard time. Him and Brandon Rush go at each other all the time. He was just poking fun at his teammate, and nothing more, IMHO.

I really hope this doesn't turn into a 6 page thread.

pizza guy
06-28-2011, 09:40 AM
I think just by looking at Danny, you can tell he's not a lazy bum. If anything, maybe Paul meant that Danny really stepped it up beyond a normal level, or he's really focusing on a certain aspect (like one-on-one moves), or something of that nature. But I'm sure, like 90s said, if PG was serious, this isn't something he'd expose a good friend for on the radio.

vnzla81
06-28-2011, 09:55 AM
I remember when teammates used to make fun of Troy Murphy for stealing rebounds or Mike Dunleavy for not knowing how to play D, I think PG is playing but we can't never be 100% sure that there is not some sarcasm to it.

I think Danny works hard but maybe he doesn't work "Paul George hard" or "Roy Hibbert hard", almost every single player works hard in the NBA but only few work as hard as they can like Kobe or KG.

tfarks
06-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Yeah even there is something to this you can't take it from this comment. You're really reaching.

Lazy dude could just mean when he's laying down by his friends he asks someone to grab the remote for him that's 1 ft. away, or to grab him a drink. Doesn't mean he wasn't in the gym for 4 hours earlier that day.

vnzla81
06-28-2011, 10:02 AM
He had to be joking.

I doubt that Danny was lazy last summer. He was out in LA last summer working out and he worked out with Team USA for the WBC. There is no way a lazy player is going to make it onto a Coach K team.

He didn't play much for coach K because he was lazy on defense :twocents:

dohman
06-28-2011, 10:13 AM
I think its safe to say that every season there has been a offseason he has made major strides to his game. Last year I think playing for USA actually hurt his development.

Sometimes you have to have the time to sharpen the saw. You keep grinding away playing playing playing you do the same old things and never fix bad habits or learn new things that you can do out on the court.

DrFife
06-28-2011, 10:25 AM
PG is a clown. He's always giving his teammates a hard time. Him and Brandon Rush go at each other all the time.

Wouldn't it be nice if they would go at each other on the court enough to transform BRush into the always-on player many of us dream about?

Manguera
06-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Clearly its sarcasm. PG forgot to use the green font during the interview. Nothing to see here... Please move along.

Anthem
06-28-2011, 10:38 AM
On the one hand, count me with those who say that Danny's dramatic improvement is not the result of a lazy player.

That being said, I'm positive that Danny went into the summer hungrier than he's been in years. A taste of the playoffs will do that to you. I think over the past couple of years, he's gotten tired. Having new goals ("I need to be able to make this play in the playoffs") should add a lot of pep to his workouts.

SMosley21
06-28-2011, 10:52 AM
all I can say is this thread is going to get way longer than it deserves to.

and for absolutely no reason

Thanks thread starter for starting a thread that there was no point in starting, other than to try to stir something up. It's obvious that Paul was kidding, and even if he wasn't, history shows that he would be wrong if he really thought Danny was lazy. This thread topic reminds me of something we would find on bleacherreport.com

graphic-er
06-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Thanks thread starter for starting a thread that there was no point in starting, other than to try to stir something up. It's obvious that Paul was kidding, and even if he wasn't, history shows that he would be wrong if he really thought Danny was lazy. This thread topic reminds me of something we would find on bleacherreport.com

:censored::censored::rolleyes:

imawhat
06-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Who knows. I thought this exchange on twitter was peculiar last year when one of Danny's ghost twitterers posted this advertisement:

dgranger33 (http://www.tweeting-athletes.com/index.cfm?athleteID=433) That EAS Peak got me through that lift and practice today. About to get some rest for tomorrows game.

Dahntay1 (Dahntay Jones) @dgranger33 (http://twitter.com/dgranger33) shut up. U know u don't lift. Lol

imawhat
06-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Thanks thread starter for starting a thread that there was no point in starting, other than to try to stir something up.

You couldn't be further off. graphic-er is probably Granger's biggest fan on this forum; I highly doubt they're trying to stir up some negativity about him.

docpaul
06-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Who knows. I thought this exchange on twitter was peculiar last year when one of Danny's ghost twitterers posted this advertisement:

dgranger33 (http://www.tweeting-athletes.com/index.cfm?athleteID=433) That EAS Peak got me through that lift and practice today. About to get some rest for tomorrows game.

Dahntay1 (Dahntay Jones) @dgranger33 (http://twitter.com/dgranger33) shut up. U know u don't lift. Lol

Wierd. Have you ever taken a good look at Danny's physique? The guy clearly looks like he lifts. In fact, he's one of the leaner, more chiseled guys on the team, IMO:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/nhardz/Nhardz/DannyGranger33.jpg

There's likely no smoke and no fire here.

imawhat
06-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Yep, he looks like he lifts.

SMosley21
06-28-2011, 12:40 PM
I think this fits pretty well in this thread...

http://i51.tinypic.com/s6nlhd.jpg

The internet (namely twitter) has made it nearly impossible for athletes to have conversations with one another without fans overanalyzing them or butting in where they have no business. This whole Paul George interview is no different really. He was obviously joking around and all of a sudden we've got a thread on PD titled "Danny Granger a lazy dude?" Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Pacer Fan
06-28-2011, 12:42 PM
He was jokin around, throwing some sarcastic humor at DG. DG is actually working PG's butt off, thats the joke in it for PG. It's all in good fun!

Strummer
06-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Danny Granger won the NBA's most improved player award. There's no reason to question his dedication or work ethic. Lazy players don't win that award.

graphic-er
06-28-2011, 01:02 PM

The internet (namely twitter) has made it nearly impossible for athletes to have conversations with one another without fans overanalyzing them or butting in where they have no business. This whole Paul George interview is no different really. He was obviously joking around and all of a sudden we've got a thread on PD titled "Danny Granger a lazy dude?" Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Damn dude, if you don't like the topic it then don't post in the thread. Its the offseason, we are gonna have a fair amount of topics that you don't agree with. We already have like 8 threads regarding David West. Honestly it wouldn't have even registered with me as anything more than a joke, until the Radio host had a puzzling reaction to the comments after rolling the tape. So i felt it okay to start a topic, because some people have inside sources so maybe they are in the know about a certain player's work ethic or general attitude.

As for athletes and twitter, screw em. Twitter is a public message board essentially. So athlete A is gonna message athlete B about this that or the other, then people are going to read it. Their choice to use twitter as a means of communication.

MagicRat
06-28-2011, 01:04 PM
"He's lookin' real good. Danny is typically known for being a lazy dude, but this summer, man, he's gettin' after it. So that's huge for this team, for Danny to take this summer so serious. A guy who has that game already, to try to take his game to another level is huge for the team"

Really?
06-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Damn dude, if you don't like the topic it then don't post in the thread. Its the offseason, we are gonna have a fair amount of topics that you don't agree with. We already have like 8 threads regarding David West. Honestly it wouldn't have even registered with me as anything more than a joke, until the Radio host had a puzzling reaction to the comments after rolling the tape. So i felt it okay to start a topic, because some people have inside sources so maybe they are in the know about a certain player's work ethic or general attitude.

As for athletes and twitter, screw em. Twitter is a public message board essentially. So athlete A is gonna message athlete B about this that or the other, then people are going to read it. Their choice to use twitter as a means of communication.

Plus if they wanted to keep it private then they could just send a direct message, lol

The Sleeze
06-28-2011, 01:07 PM
The internet (namely twitter) has made it nearly impossible for athletes to have conversations with one another without fans over-analyzing them or butting in where they have no business. This whole Paul George interview is no different really. He was obviously joking around and all of a sudden we've got a thread on PD titled "Danny Granger a lazy dude?" Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

I was with you until this point. If they don't want other people reading it and having an opinion then don't put it on Twitter to begin with. There is this thing called "texting" that they can use if they truly don't want it to be public.

SMosley21
06-28-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and drop it. My opinion has been stated, maybe not as eloquently as I could have expressed it but I'll blame that on the fact that I'm really tired and cranky right now.

I love you all.

Naptown_Seth
06-28-2011, 01:29 PM
On the one hand, count me with those who say that Danny's dramatic improvement is not the result of a lazy player.

That being said, I'm positive that Danny went into the summer hungrier than he's been in years. A taste of the playoffs will do that to you. I think over the past couple of years, he's gotten tired. Having new goals ("I need to be able to make this play in the playoffs") should add a lot of pep to his workouts.
Completely agree.

If you don't think the lack of PT for Coach K or his general drop-off on defense came from something then you are fooling yourself.

This issue is this stupid binary world of online debate where "lazy" in a joking manner equals a guy laying on his coach eating mashed potatoes all day.

Danny clearly had lost some of his edge and drive after a few years with the JOB system, or losing in general perhaps.

But as mentioned, Paul wouldn't throw a guy under the bus directly while at the same time he might have a tinge of truth behind the joke. So what. Bottom line is that George is saying Danny is working hard right now and that's all that matters going forward.

Since86
06-28-2011, 01:33 PM
His lack of PT under Coach K was a numbers problem. Every year someone sits on the end of the bench. Let's not pretend like he made the team over other players if he didn't want to work.

Geesh.... if this is any indication of how this summer/lockout is gonna be, then I might just try and pull a Rip Van Winkle.

Lurkster
06-28-2011, 03:37 PM
wait...so danny lays on vogel all day while eating mashed potatoes?

indyaway
06-28-2011, 04:02 PM
When I met JO in Vegas last year, he was staying with Al Harrington (who has a home there) and working out at one of the performance facilities. So, without question on one hand players can be working hard. On the other, they might also be going to the Wynn @ 1am...so, there is working hard, and there is working hard.

graphic-er
06-28-2011, 04:46 PM
When I met JO in Vegas last year, he was staying with Al Harrington (who has a home there) and working out at one of the performance facilities. So, without question on one hand players can be working hard. On the other, they might also be going to the Wynn @ 1am...so, there is working hard, and there is working hard.

Thats very true there in regards to players who spend of the off season in Vegas. I wouldn't put much stock them working hard.

Lot of players go to LA as well as it very easy to hook up with handful of guys and get a pick up game going on.

I remember seeing a video years ago that had Reggie, Shaq, MJ, and bunch of other players playing a pick up game.

Eleazar
06-28-2011, 04:58 PM
It is hard to tell for sure without actually listening to the comment, text just can't portray everything accurately, but the way it is written in text it doesn't seem like a complete joke to me.

One thing that should be considered is that Danny may take different approaches to during the season practices and the offseason. During the season he might come off as being lazy during practices, possibly because he is trying to save himself for the marathon of a season, whereas during the offseason he still works hard.

MnvrChvy
06-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Yeah even there is something to this you can't take it from this comment. You're really reaching.

Lazy dude could just mean when he's laying down by his friends he asks someone to grab the remote for him that's 1 ft. away, or to grab him a drink. Doesn't mean he wasn't in the gym for 4 hours earlier that day.

This is exactly how I took it.

MnvrChvy
06-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Paul had one of those "Oh Crap! Did I just say that?" moments and that's all there is to it. Danny will respond by kickin' his butt in practice... and maybe planting that hole Vogel/Mashed potatoes image in his head just for vengeance.

ilive4sports
06-28-2011, 06:43 PM
You couldn't be further off. graphic-er is probably Granger's biggest fan on this forum; I highly doubt they're trying to stir up some negativity about him.

I am slightly offended by this comment :laugh:

As for the comment, pure sarcasm. Everything points to Danny and Paul having a great relationship, going back to them working out together before last years draft. I think these two will continue to push each other and make each other the best that they can be, which will only bring smiles to all of our faces.

croz24
06-28-2011, 06:46 PM
you could argue danny is a relatively lazy basketball player when you consider his lack of off ball movement and his picking and choosing when he decides to assert himself on defense.

Scot Pollard
06-28-2011, 07:06 PM
A former MIP....LAZY????

You don't just wake up one morning and become a better player to win that award.

Danny busted his *** to get it and become the leader or at least the star of this team.

You want to know the laziest player on the Pacers? James Posey!

Anthem
06-28-2011, 07:44 PM
you could argue danny is a relatively lazy basketball player when you consider his lack of off ball movement and his picking and choosing when he decides to assert himself on defense.
:laugh: This post shocks exactly nobody.

croz24
06-28-2011, 08:13 PM

it's a true statement. the nba in general is an incredibly lazy league anymore. granger turned it on in the postseason, but nobody can disagree that granger often took plays and defense off during the regular season. he's also not the only pacer to do so, but because this topic is about granger being lazy, i commented on granger.

ilive4sports
06-28-2011, 08:23 PM
it's a true statement. the nba in general is an incredibly lazy league anymore. granger turned it on in the postseason, but nobody can disagree that granger often took plays and defense off during the regular season. he's also not the only pacer to do so, but because this topic is about granger being lazy, i commented on granger.

There is not a player in the history of the league that hasn't taken their fair share of plays off. Its an 82 game season.

ilive4sports
06-28-2011, 08:31 PM

This is nothing like twitter where, say PG is talking to BRush about something and then fans join in. This is a conversation strictly between fans about what a player said on a radio show.

Anyone in the public eye has everything and anything about them overanalyzed. I agree that there was no need to this thread, but its harmless and DG and PG probably won't see it.

If an athlete is posting on twitter and having conversations on twitter, he wants people to see it or he just isn't realizing what twitter is. If he doesn't want it to be seen, send a text message. Its simple. They can have privacy when they chose to be private. Twitter is not private.

croz24
06-28-2011, 10:42 PM
There is not a player in the history of the league that hasn't taken their fair share of plays off. Its an 82 game season.

offensively i can understand and thus run plays for others on the court. but not to the extent granger did defensively this past year during the regular season. granger is an elite athlete and given the amount of timeouts and breaks in action during an nba game, there is no excuse to be as lazy as granger was this past year defensively as a whole. again, granger obviously isn't the only NBA player to do this, but this thread is about granger.

interesting how many "likes" anthem's post received. almost as if many of you either had blinders on this past year or were watching games with homer glasses because nobody can argue that granger was lackadaisical (lazy) on defense this year. whether that comment came from me, or someone else, it was a true statement.

Pingu
06-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Danny Granger won the NBA's most improved player award. There's no reason to question his dedication or work ethic. Lazy players don't win that award.

Well, Boris Diaw did in 2006, and he's not exactly a workaholic...

ilive4sports
06-29-2011, 12:30 AM
offensively i can understand and thus run plays for others on the court. but not to the extent granger did defensively this past year during the regular season. granger is an elite athlete and given the amount of timeouts and breaks in action during an nba game, there is no excuse to be as lazy as granger was this past year defensively as a whole. again, granger obviously isn't the only NBA player to do this, but this thread is about granger.

interesting how many "likes" anthem's post received. almost as if many of you either had blinders on this past year or were watching games with homer glasses because nobody can argue that granger was lackadaisical (lazy) on defense this year. whether that comment came from me, or someone else, it was a true statement.

Or maybe you are overstating Danny's "laziness" and understating everyone else's. No one said he wasn't lazy on defense. He certainly didn't have his best defensive season.

Why didn't the Miami Heat play as good of defense as they did in the post season during the regular season?

Croz you are always ragging on Granger. Thats why Anthem's post got so many thanks. Its very hard to take anything you post seriously because it seems to always be negative about Granger. You know exactly what you're doing. You come into a thread where it is pretty much agreed upon by everyone that posted in it, that Danny is not lazy. And then you come in here and call him lazy. What do you expect to people to post or thank?

jeffg-body
06-29-2011, 12:35 AM
I wouldn't say lazy but more he had been pacing himself a little too much this past year. They play a long and grueling season and maybe Danny would rather take a play or two and be more conservative. Hopefully he recognizes that he needs to focus more on his D and will not have to carry the offense so much with an improved PG, Hibby, a new Lance and the arrival of G3.

daschysta
06-29-2011, 12:39 AM
Danny coasted a bit on defense last year, but I think he'll be supremely motivated this year, he has gotten a taste of playoff basketball afterall, and the team should be more competitive and we have the offensive options to take some of the pressure off of him all the time.

Calling him lazy in general is ridiculous thuogh. He's improved from season to season as much as anyone I can remember in the league, and is an MIP and developed a great offensive game despite coming into the league with an entirely different skillset.

Taterhead
06-29-2011, 12:43 AM

This thread is 30 something posts now and 90% of them are Granger apologists defending him. But they like to act like Granger detractors clutter their board with this stuff and are bothering them.

Granger has went downhill since he won MIP and everyone with two eyes knows that. I think they bought his jersey and the hype hook, line and sinker. It doesn't matter what Larry says, or his team mates say, those are all obviously jokes.

Let me ask you this Granger supporters........How many more off seasons will it be before Granger can actually dribble with his left hand? Or does that cost 15 million per season? Will he play defense too, or is that 20 million?

Calling him lazy in general is ridiculous thuogh. He's improved from season to season as much as anyone I can remember in the league, and is an MIP and developed a great offensive game despite coming into the league with an entirely different skillset.

In WHAT area specifically? His ball handling, defense and scoring average haven't improved at all. His rebounding hasn't either. His block shots are down. His FG % is down.

The only thing I will concede is he has improved is decision making. Skills have not improved what so ever.

Or maybe you are overstating Danny's "laziness" and understating everyone else's. No one said he wasn't lazy on defense. He certainly didn't have his best defensive season.

Why didn't the Miami Heat play as good of defense as they did in the post season during the regular season?

Croz you are always ragging on Granger. Thats why Anthem's post got so many thanks. Its very hard to take anything you post seriously because it seems to always be negative about Granger. You know exactly what you're doing. You come into a thread where it is pretty much agreed upon by everyone that posted in it, that Danny is not lazy. And then you come in here and call him lazy. What do you expect to people to post or thank?

Agreed upon by everyone? Not exactly.

Popular opinion says Jersey Shore, the Kardashians, Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber are the best things in entertainment. Popular opinion usually sucks.

BTW, if no one is saying he isn't lazy on defense, then how the hell did we almost reach an agreement that Danny was not lazy? You don't think he's a hard worker, you just accept him for what he is.

croz24
06-29-2011, 12:55 AM

oh i fully understand the game anthem plays, but you also need to understand the subject of this thread. i wasn't coming in here just randomly saying granger is a lazy basketball player. however, not asserting yourself on a nightly, or even an every other nightly basis defensively is indeed lazy. granger is not a lazy athlete, but refusing to give even a 75% effort on a specific skillset (defense) is lazy. go back and watch some film on the year of ROOKIE paul george and VETERAN danny granger. defensively, it's night and day comparing the effort exerted between the two... the people who don't take my basketball opinions seriously are those who would blindly follow this organization.

ilive4sports
06-29-2011, 12:58 AM
This thread is 30 something posts now and 90% of them are Granger apologists defending him. But they like to act like Granger detractors clutter their board with this stuff and are bothering them.

Granger has went downhill since he won MIP and everyone with two eyes knows that. I think they bought his jersey and the hype hook, line and sinker. It doesn't matter what Larry says, or his team mates say, those are all obviously jokes.

Let me ask you this Granger supporters........How many more off seasons will it be before Granger can actually dribble with his left hand? Or does that cost 15 million per season? Will he play defense too, or is that 20 million?

So people who support the team's best player are now Granger apologists? Oh, ok then. It's fine to have a differing opinion. But when the masses "thank" a post like Anthem's, there is no need to call everyone that thanked it a blind homer. None of us called you names. So how about you make your argument without calling us some.

Granger's MIP season was an absolute beast of a season. There was going to be a drop off. He averaged nearly 26 ppg. Do you know how many players this season averaged more than 25.8ppg this year? Two. LeBron and Durant. And I know its not all about ppg. I'm just saying, that MIP season wasn't just a regular season. Have his past two seasons been at that level? No, but they haven't been terribly far off. I expect him to be closer to that level next year as well.

Sure, Danny isn't great at going left. But tons of players are much better going one direction than the other. Wade, Nowitzki, and LeBron included.

Danny haters, I ask you this. How many times will Danny need to drive and get to the line until you realize he is effective at attacking the basket? I mean once we ran a legit offense, Danny was top 10 in FTA's. Yet this myth that he doesn't attack the basket still exists.

Taterhead
06-29-2011, 01:04 AM
So people who support the team's best player are now Granger apologists? Oh, ok then. It's fine to have a differing opinion. But when the masses "thank" a post like Anthem's, there is no need to call everyone that thanked it a blind homer. None of us called you names. So how about you make your argument without calling us some.

Granger's MIP season was an absolute beast of a season. There was going to be a drop off. He averaged nearly 26 ppg. Do you know how many players this season averaged more than 25.8ppg this year? Two. LeBron and Durant. And I know its not all about ppg. I'm just saying, that MIP season wasn't just a regular season. Have his past two seasons been at that level? No, but they haven't been terribly far off. I expect him to be closer to that level next year as well.

Sure, Danny isn't great at going left. But tons of players are much better going one direction than the other. Wade, Nowitzki, and LeBron included.

Danny haters, I ask you this. How many times will Danny need to drive and get to the line until you realize he is effective at attacking the basket? I mean once we ran a legit offense, Danny was top 10 in FTA's. Yet this myth that he doesn't attack the basket still exists.

The point is you all treat him like he's coming off his 26 PPG season and he's not that good. It was one season in a JOB offense. It is not who Danny Granger is.

So all I'm saying is I should be able to speak out against his lack luster effort and weaknesses without someone acting like I'm spitting on Mother Theresa.

ilive4sports
06-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Agreed upon by everyone? Not exactly.

Popular opinion says Jersey Shore, the Kardashians, Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber are the best things in entertainment. Popular opinion usually sucks.

BTW, if no one is saying he isn't lazy on defense, then how the hell did we almost reach an agreement that Danny was not lazy? You don't think he's a hard worker, you just accept him for what he is.

I didn't say everyone in general. I said everyone in this thread. Because up until Croz and you posted, that was true.

This thread had nothing to do with Danny being lazy on defense as PG's quote wasn't talking about Danny playing defense. It was talking about his off season work ethic. Yet Croz brings it up. I do think Danny is a hard worker. Don't tell me what I think. I don't tell you what to think. If Danny's teammates think he is a hard worker and his coach thinks he is a hard worker, whose word should I take? Theirs or yours?

oh i fully understand the game anthem plays, but you also need to understand the subject of this thread. i wasn't coming in here just randomly saying granger is a lazy basketball player. however, not asserting yourself on a nightly, or even an every other nightly basis defensively is indeed lazy. granger is not a lazy athlete, but refusing to give even a 75% effort on a specific skillset (defense) is lazy. go back and watch some film on the year of ROOKIE paul george and VETERAN danny granger. defensively, it's night and day comparing the effort exerted between the two... the people who don't take my basketball opinions seriously are those who would blindly follow this organization.
And look at the exerted effort on offense between Danny and George. Danny is forced to focus more on offense than defense in recent seasons because of our team. Now that doesn't exempt him from his slipping defense, but it certainly factors into it.

Oh and I don't blindly follow anyone. I judge what I see and hear on my own opinion. I do my own research. The people who don't take your basketball opinions seriously are those who disagree with you. You aren't basketball jesus. Sorry to burst your bubble.

ilive4sports
06-29-2011, 01:10 AM
The point is you all treat him like he's coming off his 26 PPG season and he's not that good. It was one season in a JOB offense. It is not who Danny Granger is.

So all I'm saying is I should be able to speak out against his lack luster effort and weaknesses without someone acting like I'm spitting on Mother Theresa.

Its because he still has the same skill set and ability. Do I expect Danny to hit the 26ppg mark next season? No. But just because he might not doesn't mean he is a terrible player like some people paint him out to be.

croz24
06-29-2011, 02:07 AM
And look at the exerted effort on offense between Danny and George. Danny is forced to focus more on offense than defense in recent seasons because of our team. Now that doesn't exempt him from his slipping defense, but it certainly factors into it.

Oh and I don't blindly follow anyone. I judge what I see and hear on my own opinion. I do my own research. The people who don't take your basketball opinions seriously are those who disagree with you. You aren't basketball jesus. Sorry to burst your bubble.

again, because the plays were drawn up for granger, not george. i acknowledged how offensively it is accepted for players to occasionally take plays off as you can only do so much in any given play. however, once the ball leaves the players hand, george crashes the glass in a way only matched by foster and occasionally hansbrough. defensively, there is never an excuse to take a play off. ever... so you're saying you only take opinions seriously that you agree with? says a lot about you and seems to be a common theme amongst pd members.

so what if everyone before me thinks granger has some godlike work ethic. fact is, none of us are around him to give an opinion about his off court work ethic. however, we can comment on his on court play game to game, year to year. granger is entering his peak and yet he's regressed each of the past 2 seasons. granger was a solid-great defender his first couple of years, and now you cringe watching him play d. as tater said, he still struggles to dribble a basketball, and instead of playing within the offense by moving without the basketball, setting screens, driving and dishing, etc, he has become a chucker struggling to hit 43% of his shots with a topg that has increased each year he's been in the league. analyzing granger's play, nobody can honestly say he's improving as a player. it's just the opposite in reality, and most of that imho is due to a lack of effort (laziness). opposing fans have noticed this, the national media has noticed this, but pacers fans on pd still make excuses for it.

Taterhead
06-29-2011, 02:08 AM
My problem is half the time I wind up arguing about whether or not I hate Danny Granger, or think he's "terrible". C'mon man, don't try and make me out to be an idiot. I never said that and neither did croz. Saying that you wouldn't mind trading someone is not an unreasonable thing to say. We are not an established winning team and generally nobody should be untouchable on a team like ours. We are a work in progress at best. We were 37-45 in the regular season and 1-4 in the playoffs, at the end of the day. That's not even close to where we want to be by any stretch.

I will never deny Grangers talent. He is a very talented player. I see him as one of the best catch and shoot guys in the business. He's deadly from three, one of the best. Opponents fear that ability, and that is a nice weapon to have. He has all the defensive ability in the world, and he flashes it often. I do understand that he's been caught in a helpless situation most of his career and that does take a toll. I do think Danny feels a little rejuvenated and will have a great year next year. But to say Danny hasn't had it on cruise control the last couple of years would be a flat out lie. He played well in the playoffs, I'll give him that. But he needs to be that player for us night in and night out.

I wouldn't trade Granger for anything less than a big man who can flat out score in the post. And that's only because I believe that is way more important in winning games and much harder to find, than a good SF. Especially since we already have a good SF on the roster in Paul George, and a nice crop of veteran FA SF's to target in free agency make it the best basketball move for us, IMO. And I find my opinion to be perfectly reasonable and definitely not ridiculous.

I WANT DANNY TO READ THIS, THEN HEAD TO THE GYM MOTIVATED TO SHUT ME UP! Please do. Because that is what you should of been doing all along. But believe I will be rooting for the Pacers in every game they play, regardless of what happens. I do not hate Danny by any stretch. I just want the best Pacers team I can have. I want my hometown to shine and enjoy watching the Pacers have some exciting, competitive and meaningful basketball again. Especially since I recently moved back home and can go to home games more often. Conseco just seems dead to me. The atmosphere is like a funeral home half the time. The Chicago fans took over our building. I want those days to end. I am ashamed that our team had to play a home game that was a neutral field at best. I never thought I'd see that day.

How many of those 20,000 posts have you given us that much insight and a smiley to boot? Aren't we lucky?

I would mark this as the point the thread became an official debate about Granger. Which I actually thank Anthem for because that is what it was designed to do in the first place. So thanks Anthem!

Constellations
06-29-2011, 03:26 AM

Croz24 always has the be that guy that disagrees with what everyone else is agreeing on. I would expect nothing less from him on a thread like this.

Since86
06-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Geez, it's just not Anthem's week now is it. First he gets criticized for not handing out any "thanks" now he's getting criticized because he doesn't write a freaking book before he posts.

It was news to me that we started valuing people based on the number of times they've been thanked and how many thanks they've given out. Now I find out that each and every post needs substance, and preferably no smiley.

What in the hell is going to come out next? Do we need a co-sponsor in order to post?

This is going to be a VERY long lockout.

Trader Joe
06-29-2011, 10:14 AM
All posts must be at least two lines long to have value.

Second line.

graphic-er
06-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Oh my....
I fully regret this thread now.
I thought it was just an interesting quote from an interview, with an interesting reaction from the radio personality afterwards. I thought maybe somebody on PD heard it too, and had a thought about it or maybe somebody has some inside perspective about certain players their perceived work ethic.

Granger is the best player we got and will probably be the best player have for a long time, that most of his detractors on here are just mad that he isn't Lebron James. Meaning he doesn't play top level defense while scoring 20 + game.
Give em one more player who can score 15-20 a night and defend at a decent level and this team would be over .500 easily.