PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best chance to make playoffs?

granger33
06-27-2011, 11:14 PM
What team has the best chance to make playoffs who didn't last season?

I believe GS and clippers do. They are both very young with great potential. Also I think wolves are a roughy to make it, they probably won't, but they have a good lineup brewing.

In the east I think the 8 is set with the same as last season. Thoughts?

pacer4ever
06-27-2011, 11:17 PM
the Bucks

granger33
06-27-2011, 11:22 PM
the Bucks

Who would they over take in the east?

Trophy
06-27-2011, 11:29 PM
I think the Nets are gonna be in the playoffs.

If Josh Smith is traded, I think the Hawks might not make it.

Also if Dwight is traded from Orlando, they might fall out.

I'm also 50/50 on us and Philly. The East isn't going to be a breeze like it was last season. It might actually take a team a few games over .500 to get the 8th spot.

pacer4ever
06-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Who would they over take in the east?

it is all premature because of potential FA signings and such. But on Paper if Bogut is healthy they are better than Phily and the Pacers IMO.

CooperManning
06-27-2011, 11:45 PM
East:

Locks: Miami, Chicago, Boston

Virtual locks: Orlando, Atlanta, New York

Bubble: Indy, Philly, Milwaukee

Quite unlikely, but not impossible: New Jersey, Washington, Detroit

Nope: Cleveland, Charlotte, Toronto

West:

Locks: LAL, Dallas, San Antonio, Oklahoma City

Probable: Memphis, Portland

Fighting chance: Denver, New Orleans, Houston, Utah

Only if everything goes their way: Golden State, Clippers

Nope: Phoenix, Sacramento, Minnesota

Unclebuck
06-28-2011, 01:50 PM
East:

West:

That is an excellent list, I have no disagreements. One thing I will add is every year 1 or 2 teams that would have been playoff teams has tons of injuries that knocks them out. I have no idea what team that might be, no one knows

DGPR
06-28-2011, 01:52 PM
That is an excellent list, I have no disagreements. One thing I will add is every year 1 or 2 teams that would have been playoff teams has tons of injuries that knocks them out. I have no idea what team that might be, no one knows

Wouldn't it be terrible if it were the Miami Heat? :devil:

Unclebuck
06-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Wouldn't it be terrible if it were the Miami Heat? :devil:

it would take both Wade and Lebron going down IMO to knocks them out of the playoffs

ballism
06-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Yes, I like that list too, but I'd put Cleveland to 'unlikely, but not impossible' group, they have enough talent if healthy. Certainly enough to compete with Nets, Pistons or Washington.

And Suns - the 'fighting chance' group. Untill they trade Nash, they'll have a shot. They almost got in this year with Nash missing a number of games. And they should have a little bit of cap space after cutting Vince.

RLeWorm
06-28-2011, 02:19 PM
i already know we will be in it.

BRushWithDeath
06-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Assuming the Nets get David West or Nene, they are a playoff team with a full season of Deron Williams.

Shade
06-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I'd have to think Memphis is a lock.

Peck
06-28-2011, 05:00 PM
As long as Mike D'Ntoni is the head coach in N.Y. there is no way I am calling them a virtual lock.

Bubble team, yes. Lock? No.

That's how low I think of him as a coach.

ballism
06-28-2011, 05:05 PM
D'Antoni isn't exactly a very underperforming regular season coach. Playoffs maybe, although if Suns kept Joe Johnson and picks, I think they'd have a title.

PacersHomer
06-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Still a lot of free agency and possible trades left. It's too early to say when we don't know where players like David West, Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson, Tyson Chandler, Jamal Crawford, JJ Barea, Tayshaun Prince, and guys like that will be.

CooperManning
06-29-2011, 03:18 AM
As long as Mike D'Ntoni is the head coach in N.Y. there is no way I am calling them a virtual lock.

Bubble team, yes. Lock? No.

That's how low I think of him as a coach.

He may not be a great coach, but 'Melo + Amare + Chauncey + Fields would be good enough for the Eastern conference playoffs if Ron Artest and bag of peanuts were coaching. They'll probably get bounced from the playoffs early, could even be a 7 or 8 seed, but if 'Melo and Amare are healthy they're a playoff team.

Pacer!
06-29-2011, 04:40 AM
East:

West:

Atlanta are definitely not a 'virtual lock'. They look to be losing both Crawford and Smith, both key players in their system, despite the latter being much maligned by fans at times.

Who knows who they will bring in to replace those two, but there has been a lot of talk about a big shake up in Atlanta over the next couple of seasons, they are not so young anymore and this current core group looks like they will never reach the potential they seeemingly had a few seasons ago...

CooperManning
06-29-2011, 05:02 AM
If they lose Smith, that'll be because they trade him and will be receiving assets back. He has two years left on his deal. But Smith getting dealt is not a foregone conclusion.

I agree that the current core group won't reach the potential they had (mainly because JJ's contract is absolutely brutal), but I would be shocked if they missed the playoffs. Not sure what you mean by "not so young anymore". Joe Johnson just turned 30 (today in fact). Horford, Josh Smith, and Marvin Williams are 25 and Jeff Teague is 23. 5th seed in 2011, 3rd seed in 2010, 4th seed in 2009. The East has gotten better, but ATL hasn't gotten much worse.

Pacer!
06-29-2011, 06:23 AM
If they lose Smith, that'll be because they trade him and will be receiving assets back. He has two years left on his deal. But Smith getting dealt is not a foregone conclusion.

I agree that the current core group won't reach the potential they had (mainly because JJ's contract is absolutely brutal), but I would be shocked if they missed the playoffs. Not sure what you mean by "not so young anymore". Joe Johnson just turned 30 (today in fact). Horford, Josh Smith, and Marvin Williams are 25 and Jeff Teague is 23. 5th seed in 2011, 3rd seed in 2010, 4th seed in 2009. The East has gotten better, but ATL hasn't gotten much worse.

Fair point on recieving assets in return for smith, however I doubt they will recieve any player/combination of players ready to contribute anywhere near Smith's level next season. I expect them to take on prospect/s and/or draft picks, in an attempt to rebuild somewhat of their roster, which has been alluded to, may be in for a real shake-up oer the next couple of seasons.

Furthermore, the loss of Crawford cannot be under-estimated. His scoring will be a massive loss even though he isn't the most team-oriented player, resulting in JJ being relied on even more heavily on offense.

As for the comment on age, I am more pointing out that the majority of their core players all appear to have now reached their ceiling, and can no longer be expected to develop much further at all. And in almost all cases, those ceilings have been underwhelming relative to their initial, percieved potential; think Marvin Williams, Horford (although being forced to play the 5 has had some influence on this), even Hinrich, who was brought in later, hasn't performed as well as expected. Adding to this, Smith (whom still has untapped potential in the right system) has reached his ceiling in ATL, and JJ hasn't developed into the team-leader and go-to-guy, as well as hoped, particularly from a mental stand-point.

I am expecting ATL to regress next season for these reasons, with roster shake-ups. I expect them to be battling to hold onto a 7th or 8th seed in the East next season, but that's just my thoughts.