PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Dantley extremely pissed with George Karl

Scot Pollard
06-27-2011, 09:07 PM
http://www.denverstiffs.com/2011/6/26/2245217/tomasson-adrian-dantley-not-coming-back

Adrian Dantley on Sunday confirmed a New York Post report that he has been let go. His contract, expiring at the end of this month, won’t be renewed for next season.

"Oh, yeah, I’m done,’’ Dantley said. "(Nuggets coach George Karl) fired me Friday.’’

Messages left Sunday for Karl and Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri were not immediately returned.

"I got fired because I didn’t rotate on the bench,’’ said Dantley, who was regarded as Karl’s lead assistant and filled in for Karl for the final 1 ˝ months of the 2009-10 season when the head man was battling a form of throat cancer.

NBA teams are allowed to have three assistants sit on the bench, with others having to sit behind it. Dantley, who always had sat on the bench, said Karl approached him early last season and requested he rotate along with other assistants either sitting on or behind the bench.

Dantley said he sat behind the bench for the final 67 games of the regular season and during the playoffs and wouldn’t rotate to the front of the bench. Nuggets assistants Chad Iske, John Welch and Melvin Hunt sat on the bench for those games.

"I didn’t rotate,’’ said Dantley, an NBA star forward from 1976-2001 who was named in 2008 to the Hall of Fame. "I wasn’t going to rotate. If they (other assistants) want the publicity to sit up front, I don’t need the publicity… I got no problem not being seen on TV and sitting at the back of the bench.’’

Dantley would not single out any specific assistants. The New York Post reported "one or lower-level assistants’’ suggested the rotation to Karl.

"This had to do with a whole lot of backstabbing,’’ Dantley said. "I got fired because I wouldn’t rotate. And people felt uncomfortable (about that).’’

Dantley went 11-8 in games Karl missed late in the 2009-10 season due to cancer. With Dantley at the helm, the Nuggets were upset 4-2 in the first round of the playoffs to Utah.

The Jazz won despite not having injured starters Andrei Kirilenko and Mehmet Okur. Dantley said he didn’t believe his ouster had anything to do with the job he did in then leading the Nuggets. Dantley is in the process of packing and leaving Denver.

He was asked if he was disappointed about the timing of Karl’s decision, which came the day after the draft (Dantley had been helping work out prospects) and a week before the NBA is expected to go on what could be a long lockout.

"What upset me is the loyalty you show to someone and you get screwed,’’ Dantley said.

Scot Pollard
06-27-2011, 09:07 PM
This guy is a ****ing baby!

speakout4
06-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Who gets fired for that?

Hicks
06-27-2011, 09:21 PM

Sounds like the other assistants were babies to me. He opted to remain in the second row. Not exactly a baby-ish "me me me" maneuver.

xBulletproof
06-27-2011, 09:24 PM
This just sounds odd. I am going to guess there's more to this.

Justin Tyme
06-27-2011, 09:29 PM

He speaks out, and he's a baby? Wow! I'll bet if you were in his shoes you would have just been the good soldier and would have just taken your marching orders and said nothing, right?

Sandman21
06-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Somebody was jealous...... and it wasn't AD.

CooperManning
06-27-2011, 09:35 PM
http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/frank-vogel.jpg?w=400

"Yo, AD. Screw Denver, Paul George needs a tutor."

BlueNGold
06-27-2011, 09:57 PM
The reason why some here don't understand this is because you're not looking. Dantley just wasn't being a team player...and that is a great way to get fired if you are expendable during lean times.

For just one example shown in the article, Dantley used the phrase "sitting at the back of the bench". That one is laced. Fact is, he was asked to rotate and sit "behind" the bench like the rest of the assistants...but he was offended and sat there and pouted like a child.

Sounds like he has some issues, quite frankly.

rock747
06-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Adrian Dantley don't rotate, Damn it.

JB24
06-27-2011, 10:22 PM
I counted 6 'Dantley Said's and 0 quotes by any other party.

Trophy
06-27-2011, 10:36 PM
This whole thing is ridiculous. According to Dantley, he lost his job over a seat.

I think he might find work somewhere else since he did coach the Nuggets at one point. Didn't really do a good job, but it was a difficult time for that team.

Kstat
06-28-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure what the shock is here. Dantley hasn't rotated in 30 years...

Kstat
06-28-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm also glad dantley for the first time in his life got disciplined for not doing what his boss wanted done. Welcome to the real world, teach.

Mono
06-28-2011, 03:55 AM
Insubordination makes trivial issues into big issues. The seat issue may not have seemed like a big deal to Dantley, but refusing to follow your boss's instructions because you disagree or because you think you're above doing what he asks of you... That is, for all of us, a guaranteed way to lose our jobs. If it was no big deal, Dantley should have done it.

I have no sympathy for AD in this case. He is being flat-out senseless.

As a boss, when I encounter an employee who believes he gets to do what he wants, rather than what I ask him to do, he's going to get fired. As an employee, if I tell my district supervisor that I refuse to do a task he gives me, I'm going to get fired. That is the reality of the employer-employee relationship.

judicata
06-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Insubordination makes trivial issues into big issues. The seat issue may not have seemed like a big deal to Dantley, but refusing to follow your boss's instructions because you disagree or because you think you're above doing what he asks of you... That is, for all of us, a guaranteed way to lose our jobs. If it was no big deal, Dantley should have done it.

I have no sympathy for AD in this case. He is being flat-out senseless.

As a boss, when I encounter an employee who believes he gets to do what he wants, rather than what I ask him to do, he's going to get fired. As an employee, if I tell my district supervisor that I refuse to do a task he gives me, I'm going to get fired. That is the reality of the employer-employee relationship.

While I can see your point, I think there is another way to look at it. When a veteran employee asks out of a completely cosmetic activity that has no substantive value I see no reason why it should devolve into an ultimatum. We're not talking about tasks that are relevant to job performance or client perception. We're talking about making the other assistants feel like they're the big winner.

What we likely have is a situation where multiple people need to act like adults.

King Tuts Tomb
06-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Do other teams regularly rotate assistant coaches between benches? I can't think I've ever seen lead assists not being in the action consistently, but it could be me just not paying attention.

Kstat
06-28-2011, 07:16 AM
While I can see your point, I think there is another way to look at it. When a veteran employee asks out of a completely cosmetic activity that has no substantive value I see no reason why it should devolve into an ultimatum. We're not talking about tasks that are relevant to job performance or client perception. We're talking about making the other assistants feel like they're the big winner.

What we likely have is a situation where multiple people need to act like adults.

Nobody said Dantley didn't have the right to ask out. If his boss denies his request, then it's on him for not following instructions.

This wasn't even a FIRING. His contract was up for renewal, and they declined it. Did they owe it to him to offer him another contract if he refused to be a team player over something so trivial?

BPump33
06-28-2011, 09:07 AM
http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/frank-vogel.jpg?w=400

"Yo, AD. Screw Denver, Paul George needs a tutor."

Just to be clear, I'm not thanking this b/c I want AD on staff. I'm thanking because that picture matches the quote perfectly. Good work. :D

Since86
06-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Did anyone else think it's odd that he said the other coaches need the publicity of sitting on the bench so the TV cameras can see them, but yet he's the one that won't sit behind the bench?

He's hoarding the spotlight (if you can actually even call it that, because the whole notion sounds like a 5th grader came up with it) seems like AD's goal. He's not even interested in being an equal with the rest of the staff, but thinks he's better than the rest.

He's putting himself in front of the rest of his coaching team, and how the hell is he supposed to coach the players into buying into the team, if he won't even do it himself?

I'm sorry, but yes, he sounds like a big whiny baby.

Mono
06-28-2011, 10:14 AM

I see what you're saying, but we don't actually know what coach Karl's purpose was behind instituting this rule. I assumed it was done as team-building amongst the coaching staff. My guess is that, whatever his reasons for instituting it, they were positive reasons -- meant to engender good feelings, or confidence... or even as a training opportunity for Karl to work with his staff. Boost them up by providing them with different experiences.

When you say "No" to that kind of exercise -- when you say "I'm above this" to team-building, I think the boss (in this case George Karl) has little choice but to insist, and then it has to become an ultimatum. To allow AD to say no may have resulted in general poor morale within the staff and a loss of authority for coach Karl.

If all of the above is true, then AD was being unreasonable.

Based on my knowledge of management techniques (however meager it may be), I really would be just unbelievably shocked if the rule was cosmetic and without substantive value. Karl seems way to bright to just be purposelessly instituting random rules. I'm sure he had a reason for it.

Slick Pinkham
06-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Did anyone else think it's odd that he said the other coaches need the publicity of sitting on the bench so the TV cameras can see them, but yet he's the one that won't sit behind the bench?

He's hoarding the spotlight ...

My interpretation of the facts presented was 180 degrees opposite, that Dantley, after being asked to rotate, decided instead that he would always sit behind the bench. So he was not hogging the camera angle or whatever. He does seem to accuse the others of wanting the limelight.

This is a case where the guys contract was up and wasn't renewed, and so the "I was fired" angle seems misplaced. The clear impression thoguh is that there was some friction going on and it's probably for the best that he is moving on.

judicata
06-28-2011, 01:06 PM
I see what you're saying, but we don't actually know what coach Karl's purpose was behind instituting this rule. I assumed it was done as team-building amongst the coaching staff. My guess is that, whatever his reasons for instituting it, they were positive reasons -- meant to engender good feelings, or confidence... or even as a training opportunity for Karl to work with his staff. Boost them up by providing them with different experiences.

When you say "No" to that kind of exercise -- when you say "I'm above this" to team-building, I think the boss (in this case George Karl) has little choice but to insist, and then it has to become an ultimatum. To allow AD to say no may have resulted in general poor morale within the staff and a loss of authority for coach Karl.

If all of the above is true, then AD was being unreasonable.

Based on my knowledge of management techniques (however meager it may be), I really would be just unbelievably shocked if the rule was cosmetic and without substantive value. Karl seems way to bright to just be purposelessly instituting random rules. I'm sure he had a reason for it.

I don't really want to go to bat for AD because at best he's acting like a sissy baby. But it doesn't sound like the things you are describing actually happened, as it appears to be more of an ad hoc change based on some of the young assistants asking. Without a doubt, AD acted like a passive aggressive dunce. I just think that sometimes you have to let your veteran employees have their "Damn Kids!" moment and move on.

duke dynamite
06-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Maybe it was a "Can't sit heaaar." case?

http://www.speakinggump.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/YouCantSitHere.jpg

LoneGranger33
06-28-2011, 04:04 PM
I believe it was a musical chairs elimination challenge. That's how the Denver Nuggets make their personnel decisions now. Kenyon Martin doesn't show up 45 minutes early because he's a professional.

http://ph.cdn.photos.upi.com/view/f555c78693987e5f94089086c6e11836/Nuggets-Martin-Sits-on-the-Bench-Against-the-Lakers-in-DenverFlags-Fly-at-Half-Staff-Day-after-Assassination-Attempt-Against-US-Rep-Giffords-in-Florence-Arizona.jpg

v_d_g
06-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Consider another perspective.

I'm George Karl. I'm in my 50's and I just got over a long bout with cancer. During this period, I'm the recipient of all this SYMPATHY throughout the league. I mean, you couldn't turn on any Bball broadcast without hearing about Karl's brave fight against cancer. Factor in the fact that his son also had a bout with cancer a few years ago. (I'm going from memory here.) Then you get a sense of just how PETTY Karl is, if he's hung up on this FOLLOW RULES ********. I suspect that DANTLEY and others had his back when he was too weak to wipe his own ***. And he shows us what he's made of by firing Dantley for now wanting to be part of some trivial ****. What is this a CULT?:rolleyes: Is Denver a part of the U.S. Marines? :rolleyes: Are these 10 year olds?

In a couple of years, I'm sure Karl with have a relapse (he an unhealthy MoFo; clearly doesn't take care of himself) and he'll be looking for some handout SYMPTHATHY again. Cause he's such a HIGH CHARACTER individual.:rolleyes: Right.

I think that a life threating illness is supposed to teach you (FINALLY) to not sweat the LITTLE STUFF and to get to the point in your life where you don't need to needlessly (or otherwise) **** with PEOPLE. Apparently, Mr Karl didn't learn this lesson the 1st time, when fate had him bent over like a *****. I suspect he won't get a second chance.

Anthem
06-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Wow, you really have a lot of hate for a dude you've never met. What's that about?

Flibertygibits
06-28-2011, 08:20 PM

Or consider this

Adrian Dantley on Sunday confirmed a New York Post report that he has been let go. His contract, expiring at the end of this month, won’t be renewed for next season.

"Oh, yeah, I’m done,’’ Dantley said. "(Nuggets coach George Karl) fired me Friday.’’

A guy who's contract not being renewed who is bitter as to why he won't be the bench there next year. Seems to me that he's the one who's looking for sympathy with the "woe is me" act. Get a grip.