View Full Version : Jordan Hill

MillerTime
06-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Any interest in him?

I think he can fill that void at PF.

Hes young and can play defence.

troyc11a
06-26-2011, 11:26 PM
A young athletic PF who can defend the rim, block shots, attack offensive glass is exactly what we need. I could care less about offense if the guy can be a monster in the paint. Besides, if they are good offensively we would be paying premium price. Is Hill available?

CableKC
06-26-2011, 11:28 PM
What abou BRush for Robin Lopez?

vnzla81
06-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Houston has a bunch of PF's now, I would try to get Scola first and Patrick Patterson 2nd, Hill could be like a decent replacement to Solomon.

Heisenberg
06-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Houston apparently offered Hill + Thabeet to Golden State for Biedrins, the WARRIORS said no, that's bizarre. Biedrins has 3/$27 mil left and has apparently forgotten how to play basketball or something.

Anyway, he is available and the price isn't too high apparently. Guy's no savior but I'd definitely be interested in bringing him in on the cheap.

vnzla81
06-26-2011, 11:30 PM
What abou BRush for Robin Lopez?

:confused: A big and athletic center for Rush? Would you do it if you were Phoenix? I don't think so.

troyc11a
06-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Houston has a bunch of PF's now, I would try to get Scola first and Patrick Patterson 2nd, Hill could be like a decent replacement to Solomon.

I like those guys you mentioned but Hill is bigger, longer, and more athletic in terms of defense. He would be my pick because he is young, cheap and a potential monster on D. He is a long 6'10

troyc11a
06-26-2011, 11:32 PM
:confused: A big and athletic center for Rush? Would you do it if you were Phoenix? I don't think so.

If they need a wing it would require a 1st to go with it. Dont think I would do that for a Center. But I would in a second for a PF/C combo who plays D.

vnzla81
06-26-2011, 11:37 PM
If they need a wing it would require a 1st to go with it. Dont think I would do that for a Center. But I would in a second for a PF/C combo who plays D.

He is worth more than that, Robin Lopez is pretty much a younger version of Tyson Chandler, we would have to give more than Rush to get him.

MillerTime
06-26-2011, 11:37 PM
I wonder if Rush + 2nd Rounder will land Hill

QuickRelease
06-26-2011, 11:42 PM
He is worth more than that, Robin Lopez is pretty much a younger version of Tyson Chandler, we would have to give more than Rush to get him.You think? I don't think Robin Lopez is all that good. Wouldn't mind Jordan Hill though.

CableKC
06-26-2011, 11:43 PM
They have Gortat, Frye and just drafted Markieff. I always thought that the Suns weren't always enamored with Robin.

If anything, we've always been looking for a "Robin" for our answer to our "Batman"....why not get an actual guy named Robin?;)

PacerPenguins
06-26-2011, 11:44 PM
urghh we just did this!!

George hill and paul George

now we want..

Jordan Hill and George Hill

lol im jk but i wouldnt mind getting him... who would start? hill or tyler?

CableKC
06-26-2011, 11:44 PM
He is worth more than that, Robin Lopez is pretty much a younger version of Tyson Chandler, we would have to give more than Rush to get him.
Ok....fine, add in Inferno and I'd do it.;)

Dr. Awesome
06-27-2011, 12:14 AM
I'd LOVE to get Jordan Hill. Hell, if the price isn't high, I'd love Thabeet as a backup Center.

mikeyism
06-27-2011, 12:15 AM
He actually was quite bad on defense last year. He played mostly at the 5; inexperience and a lack of strength did him in. Their D was 5 point better when he was on the bench, and opposing 5's averaged 22 pts/48 mins against him. He may be good eventually, but he won't help now.

Also, Houston will want a center in return, since they lost Brad Miller and Yao's status is up in the air. They only have Chuck Hayes and Thabeet left.

MillerTime
06-27-2011, 12:24 AM
He actually was quite bad on defense last year. He played mostly at the 5; inexperience and a lack of strength did him in. Their D was 5 point better when he was on the bench, and opposing 5's averaged 22 pts/48 mins against him. He may be good eventually, but he won't help now.

Also, Houston will want a center in return, since they lost Brad Miller and Yao's status is up in the air. They only have Chuck Hayes and Thabeet left.

We could sign and trade Foster (who is form Texas) and/or Soloman Jones

D squared fan
06-27-2011, 02:50 AM
How about Earl Clark to replace Solo Jones spot as 3rd center off the bench, he's a FA and would be cheap, and has potential defensively and a lil Offense, and wasn't bird interested in him last trade deadline???

CooperManning
06-27-2011, 02:52 AM
How about Earl Clark to replace Solo Jones spot as 3rd center off the bench, he's a FA and would be cheap, and has potential defensively and a lil Offense, and wasn't bird interested in him last trade deadline???

Clark is closer to a 3 than he is a 5.

wintermute
06-27-2011, 06:40 AM
Clark is closer to a 3 than he is a 5.

He's bulked up considerably in Orlando.

http://www.nba.com/magic/photos/clark_300_010710.jpg

He looks the part of a PF now, which is not to say that he can play PF effectively. But his short stint in Orlando seems promising:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-05-04/sports/os-magic-earl-clark-0505-20110504_1_earl-clark-orlando-magic-magic-gm-otis-smith

At the suggestion of the Magic's coaching staff, he added 10 pounds of muscle within two months of arriving in Orlando. Knowing he needed to improve offensively, he went through extra shooting drills after practices and after games. He studied lots and lots of film with Magic assistants.

Those assertions of poor work ethic? The Magic didn't see it.

"It's been a good experience for me, coming to a team that accepted me with open arms," said Clark, 23. "I just look forward to staying here and building it with the team."

Clark, an unrestricted free agent, will gauge interest from other teams this summer, although he did say "I don't want to play anywhere else." Magic GM Otis Smith said he likes Clark but the two sides have not begun talks on a new contract.

Clark has the potential to be a legitimate forward, at either spot. He now weighs almost 250 pounds and his wingspan is 7 feet, 2 inches, second on the Magic to only Dwight Howard's 7-foot-5 reach. But even with that size, Clark is still quick and athletic enough to defend opposing threes.

Clark demonstrated his defensive ability at times this year, helping limit Kevin Durant and LeBron James to sub-par performances during the regular season. Magic coach Stan Van Gundy has said several times he believes Clark can be a "special" defender in the NBA.

"His potential as a defensive player and as a defensive impact guy is unlimited," Van Gundy said, "if he can get down some better team defensive principles and focus and if he can truly understand that his route to being a special player in this league lies at the defensive end."

Clark's offensive skills are still raw and he doesn't always seem to grasp the team's defensive scheme. That's what kept him on the bench in this year's playoffs.

Would love to add another quality defender on the cheap.

Mackey_Rose
06-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Houston apparently offered Hill + Thabeet to Golden State for Biedrins, the WARRIORS said no, that's bizarre. Biedrins has 3/$27 mil left and has apparently forgotten how to play basketball or something.

Anyway, he is available and the price isn't too high apparently. Guy's no savior but I'd definitely be interested in bringing him in on the cheap.

I'd LOVE to get Jordan Hill. Hell, if the price isn't high, I'd love Thabeet as a backup Center.

It sounds like the price is pretty damned low to me.

MillerTime
06-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Would you trade Hibbert and change for Hill and Thabeet?

We're banking on pure potential

mildlysane
06-27-2011, 09:35 AM
No way to Thabeet. He is horrible. Jordan Hill is a no to me as well. We need a good/great players...not scrubs. Set your sights higher than basement dwellers.

naptownmenace
06-27-2011, 10:47 AM
No way to Thabeet. He is horrible. Jordan Hill is a no to me as well. We need a good/great players...not scrubs. Set your sights higher than basement dwellers.

Thank you. Jordan Hill is a bust.

I didn't like him in college and he hasn't shown that he can play at the NBA level. He's like Ike Diogu in that he can score but he doesn't understand basketball plays and is out of position all the time. IOW, he has a low basketball IQ.

Carl Landry and Chuck Hayes are much better prospects to go after and can be signed through free agency without trading any assets.

Smits Happens
06-27-2011, 10:51 AM

I wouldn't. I always want to get the best player in a trade and I believe that's Hibbert.

Sparhawk
06-27-2011, 11:01 AM
I'd love to go after Jordan Hill or Patrick Patterson.

Sparhawk
06-27-2011, 11:02 AM
If Bird can trade Rush for a pretty decent PF, then I'll consider the Hill trade even (since I thought we gave up a bit too much).

MrSparko
06-27-2011, 11:23 AM
You have more faith in Bird's 2nd round drafting abilities than I do Sparhawk, to think that losing a 2nd round pick is what makes the Hill trade terrible.

Sparhawk
06-27-2011, 11:54 AM
You have more faith in Bird's 2nd round drafting abilities than I do Sparhawk, to think that losing a 2nd round pick is what makes the Hill trade terrible.

Huh, is that how you deduce giving up too much? We had a lottery value player (regardless of your opinion of whether he'll be good or not), and traded him along with the 42 (small value, but still value) and Lorbek (no value) for Hill.

If anything, we should have gotten the Spurs late first pick as well. Hill gives us depth, but he's still just a backup pg/sg.

SMosley21
06-27-2011, 11:57 AM
My love for the University of Arizona is pretty well documented. So, it's pretty much a given that I would love to have Jordan Hill on our team. He's very talented though as well. To whoever said he wasn't impressive in college, that's just foolish. He was an All-American, and All-Pac10 player and averaged 18 points and 11 rebounds a game as a senior in the PAC10. He was also All-Defensive team, in one of the most competitive conferences in college hoops. He was the first Arizona player since 1978 to average a double-double. Coming from the school who has produced the MOST NBA draft picks in history, I'd say that's pretty impressive.

He hasn't exactly set the league on fire, but he has shown flashes of what he can do when given consistent playing time. He only averaged 15 minutes a game last season in Houston and put up pretty solid numbers in that time. Double his minutes and you're likely looking at a guy giving you 11 points,9 boards and a block per game. He could easily play 30 minutes a game off the bench for us, between backing up the 4 and 5 spots. We could do a lot worse than having Tyler Hansbrough and Jordan Hill anchoring our PF rotation.

pacergod2
06-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Jordan Hill and Mareese Speights are both players who have intrigued me over the last several years. Both have the same fundamental problem. They just don't seem to understand the game at the NBA level very well. I am not calling either of them dumb, but they just don't seem to be able to put the whole thing together. It may be immaturity, lack of interest in improving, lack of coachability, I do not know, but neither has really progressed much up to this point. One thing I will say about these two players, is that they are both VERY athletic and would provide us the type of front court presence we really lack. I am very interested in their availability, because now would be a good time to consider trading for them.

It takes several years for most bigs to really figure the game out. The post moves and defense required at this level take a lot of time and work to get down. I think Hill and Speights, if they are just going through "growing pains" would both be very good additions, but if they seem incapable of ever "getting it", then I would be alright with passing them over for other options. I don't think that either player is in their teams' long-term plans, but I could be wrong. That might also be an indictment of their lack of growth as well.

SMosley21
06-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Jordan Hill and Mareese Speights are both players who have intrigued me over the last several years. Both have the same fundamental problem. They just don't seem to understand the game at the NBA level very well. I am not calling either of them dumb, but they just don't seem to be able to put the whole thing together. It may be immaturity, lack of interest in improving, lack of coachability, I do not know, but neither has really progressed much up to this point. One thing I will say about these two players, is that they are both VERY athletic and would provide us the type of front court presence we really lack. I am very interested in their availability, because now would be a good time to consider trading for them.

It takes several years for most bigs to really figure the game out. The post moves and defense required at this level take a lot of time and work to get down. I think Hill and Speights, if they are just going through "growing pains" would both be very good additions, but if they seem incapable of ever "getting it", then I would be alright with passing them over for other options. I don't think that either player is in their teams' long-term plans, but I could be wrong. That might also be an indictment of their lack of growth as well.

I can agree with that. The thing with either of those players is that they are both still very young (both younger than Hansbrough) and still have time to "get it". They're also both on very cheap contracts that wouldn't hamper us going forward.

wintermute
06-27-2011, 12:08 PM

No way

xIndyFan
06-27-2011, 12:36 PM
. . . Carl Landry and Chuck Hayes are much better prospects to go after and can be signed through free agency without trading any assets.

I'd love to go after Jordan Hill or Patrick Patterson.

any of these guys would be ok, but none of them is a guy i want the pacers to 'target'. they are all run of the mill NBA types of differing skills. i certainly don't want the pacers using up multiple years of cap space signing them.

pacers need talent, not bodies. right now these guys are just bodies.

DGPR
06-27-2011, 12:40 PM
I'd be pretty interested in obtaining Jordan Hill if the price was right. IIRC there were quite a few of us hoping he would drop in the draft so that we could take him. He still has potential IMO.

Sparhawk
06-27-2011, 12:43 PM
any of these guys would be ok, but none of them is a guy i want the pacers to 'target'. they are all run of the mill NBA types of differing skills. i certainly don't want the pacers using up multiple years of cap space signing them.

pacers need talent, not bodies. right now these guys are just bodies.

Patrick Patterson put together some impressive numbers in the latter half of last season due to increased playing time. I don't think either are just bodies. Give them some minutes and I bet they can get better. It'd be like getting JO from the Blazers. Kind of buy low mentality.

Regardless of those two guys, I just hope that Rush is traded and we get PF that can start so Hans can be the 6th man.

Jose Slaughter
06-27-2011, 01:23 PM
I checked out the Houston page on Real GM a few weeks back to get a feel for what the Rockets fan thought of both Hill & Patterson.

For the most part Hill has a very poor rep. I take it he has a very poor work ethic, plays without much heart & tends to party too much.

If we could transplant LaMarcus Aldridge's heart into Hill, I'd be interested. But that ain't gonna happen, so I'll pass.

Reginald
06-27-2011, 01:51 PM
A young athletic PF who can defend the rim, block shots, attack offensive glass is exactly what we need. I could care less about offense if the guy can be a monster in the paint. Besides, if they are good offensively we would be paying premium price. Is Hill available?

You mean to say here that you "couldn't care less."

Sorry. Just a pet peeve of mine. Much like the adverb "literally," almost everyone misuses the phrase at one point in their lives. If you "could care less," that means there is a level of uncaring you haven't reached yet: i.e., you care.

_The_Future_
06-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Wow

crazylikeafox
06-27-2011, 02:26 PM

Would you? That would be ludicrous.

troyc11a
06-27-2011, 02:44 PM

Sorry. Just a pet peeve of mine. Much like the adverb "literally," almost everyone misuses the phrase at one point in their lives. If you "could care less," that means there is a level of uncaring you haven't reached yet: i.e., you care.

What I mean is I really dont care about a PF's offensive production (in relevant terms to NBA talent is assumed).

DrFife
06-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Nostalgic aside: My first job out of college, I nearly was fired in the first two weeks for complaining that our trainer used "literally" in every third sentence or so. Ugh ... <shivers> ... after all these years, I can still hear her voice.... :duh:

troyc11a
06-27-2011, 02:45 PM
I would love to see a Dale Davis type PF.

Justin Tyme
06-27-2011, 03:08 PM

I don't see Clark as Center material. IIRC, he's more SF than Center material.

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on either Clark or Hill, but absolutely NO Thabeet. My spouses geriatric dog can play better than Thabeet. It can still catch a soccer ball w/o dropping it. I'm not sure Thabeet can walk, chew gum, and rub his stomach at the same time. He makes Kwame Brown look like and Allstar Center shaped in the mold of Jabar.

Justin Tyme
06-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Patrick Patterson put together some impressive numbers in the latter half of last season due to increased playing time. I don't think either are just bodies. Give them some minutes and I bet they can get better. It'd be like getting JO from the Blazers. Kind of buy low mentality.

Regardless of those two guys, I just hope that Rush is traded and we get PF that can start so Hans can be the 6th man.

IIRC, Patterson was injured a good part of the season. I'm looking for good things from him this coming season.

Justin Tyme
06-27-2011, 03:22 PM
I checked out the Houston page on Real GM a few weeks back to get a feel for what the Rockets fan thought of both Hill & Patterson.

For the most part Hill has a very poor rep. I take it he has a very poor work ethic, plays without much heart & tends to party too much.

If we could transplant LaMarcus Aldridge's heart into Hill, I'd be interested. But that ain't gonna happen, so I'll pass.

Wasn't this the same problem he had in NY?

PacerGuy
06-27-2011, 11:57 PM
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...-gm-otis-smith

At the suggestion of the Magic's coaching staff, he added 10 pounds of muscle within two months of arriving in Orlando. Knowing he needed to improve offensively, he went through extra shooting drills after practices and after games. He studied lots and lots of film with Magic assistants.

Those assertions of poor work ethic? The Magic didn't see it.

"It's been a good experience for me, coming to a team that accepted me with open arms," said Clark, 23. "I just look forward to staying here and building it with the team."

Clark, an unrestricted free agent, will gauge interest from other teams this summer, although he did say "I don't want to play anywhere else." Magic GM Otis Smith said he likes Clark but the two sides have not begun talks on a new contract.

Clark has the potential to be a legitimate forward, at either spot. He now weighs almost 250 pounds and his wingspan is 7 feet, 2 inches, second on the Magic to only Dwight Howard's 7-foot-5 reach. But even with that size, Clark is still quick and athletic enough to defend opposing threes.

Clark demonstrated his defensive ability at times this year, helping limit Kevin Durant and LeBron James to sub-par performances during the regular season. Magic coach Stan Van Gundy has said several times he believes Clark can be a "special" defender in the NBA.

"His potential as a defensive player and as a defensive impact guy is unlimited," Van Gundy said, "if he can get down some better team defensive principles and focus and if he can truly understand that his route to being a special player in this league lies at the defensive end."

Clark's offensive skills are still raw and he doesn't always seem to grasp the team's defensive scheme. That's what kept him on the bench in this year's playoffs.

I know Larry has talked about adding vetran leadership, but if you can add a guy with Lamar Odom athleticism, better D (but worse O), but without the sugar fetish & the ugly-sister reality wife, who @ 23 is a UFA meaning his contract would not expire at the same time many of our young core will (a big plus IMO), THIS is who we should look long & hard about. This kid already was not offered an extention by the team that drafted him (PHX) so he has already had to face the reality other who (like Rush) got without having ever shown the humnger it looks like Clark found in Orlando.

Also, I'm just wondering... Why do we want to bring in guys like Milsap (> 7 mil) or Jefferson (> 13 mil) or even West (likely >10 mil, on a < 1yr old repaired ACL on his 31 yr old knee) when we could land a guy like E.Clark for much cheaper & save out $ for someone who is worthy later on? (EJ?). We just got out of years of cap hell & now that we have money everyone seems set on getting a name more then being smart & patient. IMO his length is something we have said we want, & his ability to play & defend multible positions is the way we want to go (see P.George, G.Hill). I almost forgot about EC, but I now have him as someone I would really be happy to get, as I see him as a great fit with what we are building.

Pointz
06-28-2011, 12:10 AM
My love for the University of Arizona is pretty well documented. So, it's pretty much a given that I would love to have Jordan Hill on our team. He's very talented though as well. To whoever said he wasn't impressive in college, that's just foolish. He was an All-American, and All-Pac10 player and averaged 18 points and 11 rebounds a game as a senior in the PAC10. He was also All-Defensive team, in one of the most competitive conferences in college hoops. He was the first Arizona player since 1978 to average a double-double. Coming from the school who has produced the MOST NBA draft picks in history, I'd say that's pretty impressive.

He hasn't exactly set the league on fire, but he has shown flashes of what he can do when given consistent playing time. He only averaged 15 minutes a game last season in Houston and put up pretty solid numbers in that time. Double his minutes and you're likely looking at a guy giving you 11 points,9 boards and a block per game. He could easily play 30 minutes a game off the bench for us, between backing up the 4 and 5 spots. We could do a lot worse than having Tyler Hansbrough and Jordan Hill anchoring our PF rotation.

I am also a big Arizona fan and I watched quite a bit of Jordan Hill in college and I think he could be a rewarding project but we would probably have to work a Jermaine-type of trade to get him and the value we give up could haunt us later. My biggest concern with Jordan Hill is his lack of a mean streak and he seems too passive despite his athletic gifts and that was a common issue he had with Arizona. I do like what he brings in shot blocking and athleticism but he was prone to mental lapses. I am intrigued with what could be though.

Pacersalltheway10
06-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Imagine if we got Jordan Hill, D. Jordan, and Chris Paul.

Paul George and George Hill
Paul George and Chris Paul
Jordan Hill and D. Jordan

MillerTime
06-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Imagine if we got Jordan Hill, D. Jordan, and Chris Paul.

Paul George and George Hill
Paul George and Chris Paul
Jordan Hill and D. Jordan

I'd feel sorry for the announcers

Since86
06-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I'd feel sorry for the announcers

No joke. Slick has a hard enough time already.