PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Breakdown - no trade, It's all about free agent

Kamiyohk
06-25-2011, 06:36 AM
Lets see what we have in free agent market this summer:

Center : Tyson Chandler, Kwame Brown, Oden, Marc Gasol, Samuel Dalembert, Jeff Foster, Kyrylo Fesenko, Dan Gadzuric, Yao Ming, Erick Dampier, Nazr Mohammed, DeAndre Jordan, Joel Przybilla

Power Forward: NeNe, David West, Glen Davis, Kris Humphries, Carl Landry, Josh McRoberts, Reggie Evans, Kenyon Martin, Yi JianLian

Small Forward: Tayshaun Prince, Thaddeus Young, Caron Butler, Wilson Chandler, Jeff Green, Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Josh Howard, Reggie Williams, Chris Douglas-Roberts

Shooting Guard : Jason Richardson, Jamal Crawford, JR Smith, Arron Afflalo, Rodney Stuckey, Marcus Thornton, Marco Belinelli, Tracy McGrady, Anthony Parker, Vince Carter

Point Guard : Who cares..we have DC and Hill

So who should we target?

Center : Resign Jeff Foster first
Tyson Chandler > Marc Gasol > DeAndre Jordan > Samuel Dalembert
(Backup plan - Kwame Brown)

Power Forward : Resign Josh McRoberts first
NeNe > Glen Davis > David West > Carl Landry
(Backup plan - Kris Humphries)

Small Forward :
Thaddeus Young > Jeff Green > Caron Butler > Wilson Chandler
(Backup plan - Reggie Williams)

Shooting Guard :
Jamal Crawford > Arron Afflalo > Marcus Thornton> Jason Richardson
(Backup plan - Rodney Stuckey)

DrFife
06-25-2011, 06:57 AM
What about Utah's Andrei Kirilenko? I'm not pushing for him, but he's a notable omission. Moreover, he's a player (along with Orlando's Jason Richardson, Atlanta's Jamal Crawford, and Boston's Glen Davis) who might be particularly available in a sign-and-trade (the "middle ground"), since the host team would get something in return.

Pacer!
06-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Going after any 2s or 3s would be pointless IMO. Chandler would be an amazing pickup but don't see it happening, Jordan would be nice, and I think Dalembert would be a very nice fit if we do pick up a West or Millsap type player. Nene again would be great, but don't see it happening...

wintermute
06-25-2011, 08:46 AM
I want Chuck Hayes!

Shade
06-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Of those listed, I would pursue Jordan and Nene. We need a back-up C and a starting PF.

PacerHound
06-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Of those listed, I would pursue Jordan and Nene. We need a back-up C and a starting PF.

You got one now and he will be far better this coming year than last year.

Sparhawk
06-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Deandre Jordan if he can play PF.

Nene would be nice, but he's staying put. We need a PF, and the list sucks. Damn, we just can't luck out at all. I'd try Kenyon Martin. He can do smashmouth D.

Kamiyohk
06-25-2011, 09:42 AM
I think that we can't get Tyson Chandler / Marc Gasol ..
So i prefer DeAndre Jordan or Kwame Brown both can reb and defense

On Power Forward position, we don't really have choice this year

McKeyFan
06-25-2011, 09:47 AM
I like Big Baby, but he's not the defensive stud we're looking for.

Not a huge need, but I've always liked Chris Douglas-Roberts. Instant offense off the bench—if we could get him cheap.

Pacer!
06-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Dalembert would be a very nice fit if he can be had for a reasonable price?? I view him as a poor mans Tyson Chandler, without the injury issues. He certainly intrigues me, especially given TC would be so hard to get.

The Jackson shimmy
06-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Dalembert would be a very nice fit if he can be had for a reasonable price?? I view him as a poor mans Tyson Chandler, without the injury issues. He certainly intrigues me, especially given TC would be so hard to get.

No, you're not. I tossed his name out a couple months back.

'For the right price' (something like $25-30m over 4 yrs), he might be
the best combo out there in terms of availabilty, reasonable price,
fit/need at 4/5 and leaving enough bullets in the gun to go after
the 2012 class of guys.

Really?
06-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Deandre Jordan if he can play PF.

Nene would be nice, but he's staying put. We need a PF, and the list sucks. Damn, we just can't luck out at all. I'd try Kenyon Martin. He can do smashmouth D.

Exactly what I said... Give me Kenyon and Joel Prezbilla, some guys to do the dirty work... I think the Clippers will hold on to Jordan, he is their replacement for Kaman, and they were thinking about trading Kaman earlier this season and just Allowing Jordan to have the position.

PacerFreak31
06-25-2011, 10:23 AM
I have a couple questions for everyone. First is if/when we trade rush who plays backup SF? I think this position is getting overlooked. We really have no backup SF. The second question is A lot of the guys that are interesting are restricted free agents. So of the RFA's which ones would we have the best shot at? Also if we do have a hard cap which teams are likely not to match our offer?

PacerFreak31
06-25-2011, 10:33 AM
I have a couple questions for everyone. First is if/when we trade rush who plays backup SF? I think this position is getting overlooked. We really have no backup SF. The second question is A lot of the guys that are interesting are restricted free agents. So of the RFA's which ones would we have the best shot at? Also if we do have a hard cap which teams are likely not to match our offer?

SMosley21
06-25-2011, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't be at all upset about signing Dalembert for around 4 years $24-$26 million. Unfortunately the Knicks or Heat will likely end up with him.

CooperManning
06-25-2011, 10:43 AM

I think George is the starting 2 and backup 3. Danny can play 35 min/game at the 3, then Paul can pick up the other 13 and another 15-20 at the 2. I think always having either Danny or Paul in the game would be a wise decision.

Pacer!
06-25-2011, 10:48 AM

PG and Dahntay would take care of most of these minutes once/if Rush is gone. Posey may also figure in this if he is still around, and Lance can potentially chip in with a few minutes if needed, furthermore back-up at this position can easily be had through free-agency... this is also assuming Mikey D is gone.

The Jackson shimmy
06-25-2011, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't be at all upset about signing Dalembert for around 4 years $24-$26 million. Unfortunately the Knicks or Heat will likely end up with him.

Yup, that's the problem isn't it. If a 'contender' is interested in a FA, the
only way that he's coming to Indy is if the Pacers overpay. In Dalembert's
case, much as I'd like to have him, that makes no sense at all.

Ownagedood
06-25-2011, 11:13 AM
I was told that we had interest in bringing in Tracy McGrady.. Not totally against it but im thinking he would mainly only be good for his veteran leadership.

Just wanted to share that with you guys.

I would love to get one of those centers, but they will probably all be worth more than we would want to pay them.

Pacer!
06-25-2011, 11:15 AM
I was told that we had interest in bringing in Tracy McGrady.. Not totally against it but im thinking he would mainly only be good for his veteran leadership.

Just wanted to share that with you guys.

I would love to get one of those centers, but they will probably all be worth more than we would want to pay them.

I can't see why he would want to play here, he would be feeding of Danny's scraps, and hopefully PGs aswell if he continues to develop.

SMosley21
06-25-2011, 11:23 AM
I don't believe for 1 second that the Pacers are at all interested in signing Tracy McGrady.

Trophy
06-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Our biggest need and what we really need to focus on is a starting PF.

My favorites (from this list) are Nene, Kris Humphries, maybe Kenyon Martin, but not a fan of his attitude.

Those guys are unlikely to sign elsewhere so we're probably gonna need to get our PF via trade.

Aside from PFs, I like Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady. I'd prefer VC however. Though they're at the decline of their careers and we really don't have much room for them at SG now that we have George who will play a portion of his minutes there. Both VC and TMac still have some value, but I think they'll and sign with a veteran team.

We need a backup center and I'd bring in Kwame Brown.

Shade
06-25-2011, 11:43 AM
I like Big Baby

Of course you do, you're also a Satan fan. :-p

CooperManning
06-25-2011, 11:44 AM
You know I've never really considered Kris Humphries, but his per-36 rebounding numbers are sick. Kardashian jokes aside, how smart of a signing would he be? How's his D? Put up a solid 10/10/1 blk in 28 min/game last year in NJ.

Shade
06-25-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't believe for 1 second that the Pacers are at all interested in signing Tracy McGrady.

Yeah, we already have the younger version.

http://winmyfantasyleague.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Paul-George_Indiana-Pacers21.jpg

Really?
06-25-2011, 12:05 PM
You know I've never really considered Kris Humphries, but his per-36 rebounding numbers are sick. Kardashian jokes aside, how smart of a signing would he be? How's his D? Put up a solid 10/10/1 blk in 28 min/game last year in NJ.

Think he will be resigning with the Nets...

CooperManning
06-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Think he will be resigning with the Nets...

I know they want him back, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. If they want a chance at signing both Deron and Dwight, they might not be able to make Humphries that great of an offer. They gave Travis Outlaw a terrible contract and are overpaying Morrow, Farmar, and Petro. They have to extend Brook Lopez next year, which they might not do if they get Dwight, but I think they'd like to keep him. So if Bird made a decent offer, Humphries would have to at least consider it.

It's a shame he's engaged to Kim K, because I could seriously see that affecting where he signs. I'm sure she'd prefer him stay in the NYC area and she has her own fortune, so the difference in a few million might mean less to Humphries than other players. But the more I read about him/remember back to the times I saw him play last year, I wouldn't be surprised if Bird is targeting him. Nets fans praised him for being the only player on the team that played defense last year and he's really scrappy. Seems like a good fit next to Roy and he's only 26. A Humphries/Psycho-T PF rotation would bring intensity to the 4 for 48 minutes a game. The anti-Murphy approach, essentially.

Could be a good value as opposed to a David West type, but ultimately I think you're probably right that he'll end up back with the Nets.

CooperManning
06-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Cue the "everyone looks good in highlight vids" comments.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/buqGdh6Tm_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Gaa21jCV2Ho" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pacer!
06-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Cue the "everyone looks good in highlight vids" comments.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/buqGdh6Tm_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Gaa21jCV2Ho" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Didn't realise he had those hops... thought I was watching Blake Griffin for a moment there.

Pacersalltheway10
06-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Didn't realise he had those hops... thought I was watching Blake Griffin for a moment there.

You were.... when Mr. Karshashian blcoked him.

Psyren
06-25-2011, 01:39 PM
I'd pursue Jordan first, and if we can't get him, I wouldn't at all be opposed to Dalembert.

Pacerfan83
06-25-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm honestly not that impressed with this year's free agent class. I would try hard to trade for a PF (like Millsap) and if anything pick up a center of the FA class.

CooperManning
06-25-2011, 01:45 PM
I'd pursue Jordan first, and if we can't get him, I wouldn't at all be opposed to Dalembert.

I'll be shocked if Dalembert doesn't go to Miami for the MLE (if the MLE still exists post-lockout).

Pacerfan83
06-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Btw the decent names on this list teams are going to bid on and overpay for which is another reason we should get a PF through a trade or save our money for the 2012 class.

Larry Staverman
06-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Everyone seems to be focused on free agents but the front office has stated many times that our best avenue for improvement will be through trades.

CooperManning
06-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Everyone seems to be focused on free agents but the front office has stated many times that our best avenue for improvement will be through trades.

That's because they don't want to get the fan base's hopes up. But when you have the 2nd most cap room in the league, you explore all possible avenues of improving the team.

Pacerfan83
06-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Doesn't everyone agree the 2012 class is much stronger than the 11? I guess im just saying if we overpay I don't want it to be for mediocrity.

CooperManning
06-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Doesn't everyone agree the 2012 class is much stronger than the 11? I guess im just saying if we overpay I don't want it to be for mediocrity.

2012's isn't much better, 2013's is pretty nice though.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_freeagents/2012/

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_freeagents/2013/

Swish
06-25-2011, 02:04 PM
I get that this is the summer we've all been waiting for, and our cap space is burning a hole in everyone's pocket, but if there isn't a player or two available as a free agent this summer, I'd rather pocket the cash and table signing players until next offseason as opposed to Dunmurph'ing some jabroni just to say we brought someone in.

Pacerfan83
06-25-2011, 02:06 PM
IMO I still think the 12 class looks better than this. But your right about the 2013 being best of all. But I wouldn't wait till then to use our cap money. Guess that's why Bird is looking via trades to make us stronger.

BornReady
06-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Carl Landry!

Justin Tyme
06-25-2011, 02:21 PM

He'll go to a team that wants him as starter not a team like the Pacers as a b/u.

wintermute
06-25-2011, 02:22 PM
With the George Hill acquisition, our 2012 cap space will be significantly reduced. We'll still have Posey's contract coming off, but now we'll have to factor in at least two extensions, Hibbert's and Hill's.

We'll have even less 2013 cap space (if at all) with Collison and Hansbrough due extensions then, so it doesn't even bear thinking about.

It will all still depend on how the final CBA shakes out, but as of now I wouldn't count on the Pacers being major players in 2012 free agency.

Sparhawk
06-25-2011, 02:22 PM
What about Jason Thompson? He'd fill a short term need and probably wouldn't require much of a trade.

Justin Tyme
06-25-2011, 02:32 PM

I hear what you are saying, but Dahntay is still on the team and capable of playing SF.

Justin Tyme
06-25-2011, 02:36 PM

Yes, but he was in a contract year too.

Justin Tyme
06-25-2011, 02:41 PM

This is exactly how I think the starting PF will be obtained.

Justin Tyme
06-25-2011, 02:46 PM
What about Jason Thompson? He'd fill a short term need and probably wouldn't require much of a trade.

Rush and future pick.

Lance George
06-25-2011, 02:52 PM
My thoughts...

Any of Chandler, Gasol or Nene would be a great pickup. Jordan's not there yet, but his potential is up there with those three, so I'd love to have him, too. Kris Humphries would be an excellent replacement for Foster and is just 26, around the same age as our core. I know many, if not most, will disagree, but Oden is still very tantalizing if he heals up. A healthy Oden, with his dominating rebounding and defense, is the closest thing to championship-caliber player available, imo.

Both Thad Young and Wilson Chandler are excellent young SFs who would bolster our bench or eventually replace Granger if he's shipped out.

Arron Afflalo would be a nice get. Incredibly efficient season and a great defender whose also a great character guy. Thornton and Reggie Williams are both undersized but both would be great scoring additions to our bench.

J.R. Smith and Stuckey are reportedly headcases, so I'd probably shy away from them.

Grant Hill would be a great veteran leader and backup to Danny. Prince is ok; decent talent and still has some good years left in him, ditto for Jason Richardson, who would immediately upgrade our starting frontcourt while his replacement, George, continues to grow from the bench.

BornReady
06-25-2011, 03:03 PM
hey just wondering guys- I think it's been brought up before, but what about Demarre Carroll? He's in the dleague right now.

A.B.Hollywood
06-25-2011, 03:16 PM
I think it's worth mentioning who is restricted and who is unrestricted. And of those unrestricted who will likely want to be on a contender.

Deandre Jordan, Marc Gasol, Greg Oden are good examples there and all three of which I'd love to have. I think another 7 footer is fine to play next to Hibbert as long as they can defend the 4. All 3 of these players should be able to do that.

Either way Gasol is someone we should offer some big money to. If they match, they match. He is clearly the class of this free agent group based on our needs. Nene is the other but it looks inevitable that the Nuggets will sign him.

Dalembert and Chandler will go to contenders. Of the two I actually prefer Dalembert because of his cost. Chandler has been in the league ten years now(although hes still only 28) and it took the most balanced roster of his lifetime to keep him from being so inefficient. Dude had more 3 second violations than assists 2 years ago. Combine that with his injury history and he worries me for the money he would cost.

With other unrestricted options I have already said plenty about David West. I am starting to revise my price point on him too and from what I can see 7-8 million for 4 years is a no-brainer to me. Others seem to still disagree. Color me confused there.

Other than him I do like Kirilenko as well. His cost has dramatically gone down over the years. He plays better at the 4 than anywhere else. Is an extremely efficient player on both ends, rebounds amazingly well and blocks shots at a furious pace. He would be SICK next to Hibbert.

With all that in mind if you sign him you are paying for 60 games max. It's just inevitable now. If you have him in the playoffs though its well worth it. I'm mixed on this gamble but the potential and cost might be good for us. 3 year deal? 6-ish per season? I could live with this.

My overall thoughts though are to do a trade though. There will be teams looking to make sure they have the money for CP3 and Deron next summer and will look to unload. Just to get this out there my absolute, #1 pick of anyone that is *reasonably* available to us is Josh Smith. Not much more can be said there and for me that is options 1, 2 and 3. I wouldn't stop calling the Hawks here with various combinations (Rush, Price, Future #1 and absorb the rest may be enough IMO. Make this happen!)

Isaac
06-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Big Baby over David West???

A.B.Hollywood
06-25-2011, 03:50 PM

The problem is Kris Humphries ALSO thinks he's Blake Griffin for a moment here or there.

Dude is EXTREMELY selfish on offense and takes horrible shot after horrible shot. He consistently tries to go one on one when there is no reason to do so. He also is not a very good defender and doesn't have the strength or size to keep bigger 4's from backing him down.

He is though VERY athletic and is quite good as a rebounder. I don't hate him as a signing but he is a perennial backup and is not someone we want to run any offense through. He's the kind of guy I expect most people here to loathe after just a few short months. Call it a hunch.

CooperManning
06-25-2011, 04:04 PM
The problem is Kris Humphries ALSO thinks he's Blake Griffin for a moment here or there.

Dude is EXTREMELY selfish on offense and takes horrible shot after horrible shot. He consistently tries to go one on one when there is no reason to do so. He also is not a very good defender and doesn't have the strength or size to keep bigger 4's from backing him down.

He is though VERY athletic and is quite good as a rebounder. I don't hate him as a signing but he is a perennial backup and is not someone we want to run any offense through. He's the kind of guy I expect most people here to loathe after just a few short months. Call it a hunch.

He shot .527 last year though, so the shots couldn't have been that bad.

CableKC
06-25-2011, 04:33 PM
I've been advocating Mr. Kardasian for the last year. He is s shot blocking version of Foster. He was top 7 in rebounding for the year and top 3 in rebounding after the ASB. I would have him start at PF, he'd be a good fit next to Hibbert, Hansbrough and Stanko :pray:.

CableKC
06-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Just think of the type of shots that Foster take. He's basically a double double garbage man that does all the things that no one else wants to do. Don't count on him to shoot for you, count on him for defense and rebounding....basically what Foster does. Before you say that we don't need an offensively challenged BigMan......look at what Tyson Chandler did for the Mavs.

CooperManning
06-25-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm sold. I'd think we'd have a really good shot if it wasn't for Kim K. She must have a net worth of what, $50 mil? More? Prying him from NJ (aka Brooklyn) might be difficult. If we can offer a few mil more than NJ, does it make that much of a difference to him? I'm surprised he hasn't been discussed more on here. He's the type of player we need at a position of need and he's 26.

CableKC
06-25-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm sold. I'd think we'd have a really good shot if it wasn't for Kim K. She must have a net worth of what, $50 mil? More? Prying him from NJ (aka Brooklyn) might be difficult. If we can offer a few mil more than NJ, does it make that much of a difference to him? I'm surprised he hasn't been discussed more on here. He's the type of player we need at a position of need and he's 26.
Every time I bring him up, everyone think that he's a scrub putting up good numbers in a contract year. I'd easily overpay for a player like him. $7-8 mil per year / 4 years. We need a rebounder to pair with Hibbert and Hansbrough.

xBulletproof
06-25-2011, 05:26 PM
ALWAYS avoid the guy who sucked or suddenly improved when his contract was up.

ALWAYS.

CableKC
06-25-2011, 05:30 PM

ALWAYS.
He put up good rebounding numbers in the previous year even with limited minutes when joined the Nets.

It's not like he was averaging 30 mpg for the last 2-3 years, put up crappy numbers, then all of a sudden put up good numbers in his contract year with the same number of minutes. The only reason he had a consistent uptick in minutes was because Avery Johnson didn't want to watch Murphy's defense and he wanted to free up Brook to focus on the offensive end while Humpheries sole purpose was to do all the other stuff that Brook didnt do. When Humphries finally got solid and consistent minutes, he was able to produce.

CooperManning
06-25-2011, 05:30 PM

ALWAYS.

Fair point, I'm weary of that, but he never got big minutes until last year. His per-36 numbers on his previous seasons are still solid, he just played between 10-13 minutes a game. He was Boozer's backup, then he was Bosh's backup, then he was Dirk's backup, then he went to NJ.

A.B.Hollywood
06-25-2011, 06:36 PM

You are correct, he was basically lashed out at for taking some bad shots earlier and did improve. The majority of his shots were just dunks so that helps but I still saw this man try and isolate a player just about every nets game I watched and look ridiculous doing so.

As long as we don't ask him to try and do anything offensively other than put-backs and can depend on him to do this and not venture out on his own and then also get him for the right price then I am fine with this.

But that's a lot of If's when other, better big men are available IMO. Not the worst signing we can make though by all means.

QuickRelease
06-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Tracy McGrady..veteran leadership.:zip::lmao:

QuickRelease
06-25-2011, 07:56 PM
I'd easily overpay for a player like him.http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhbemprfkg1qa1id2o1_400.gif Humphries? Right price, maybe. Overpay? No thanks.

Sparhawk
06-25-2011, 08:05 PM
I'd love McGrady, but we need some bigs.

Pacerfan83
06-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Yeah our backcourt is solid with DC, PG, Hill, and Lance. I'm stoked for that rotation. Once we get another legit PF like Millsap we are set to contend the next 5 years.

imawhat
06-25-2011, 08:15 PM
You are correct, he was basically lashed out at for taking some bad shots earlier and did improve. The majority of his shots were just dunks so that helps but I still saw this man try and isolate a player just about every nets game I watched and look ridiculous doing so.

As long as we don't ask him to try and do anything offensively other than put-backs and can depend on him to do this and not venture out on his own and then also get him for the right price then I am fine with this.

But that's a lot of If's when other, better big men are available IMO. Not the worst signing we can make though by all means.

51% of his shots last season were jumpshots, according to 82games. His eFG% for jumpshots is .433.

For sake of comparison, 70% of Hansbrough's shots are jumpshots and he has a eFG% of .408.

Karlton
06-25-2011, 10:50 PM

Is your green button broken? Veteran leadership?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzK-YbJWb_c&feature=related

D_MAN_ding
06-25-2011, 11:03 PM
http://bkref.com/tiny/Mtij9

Here's a link that has several of these guys numbers through basketball reference.

I'd have to say that considering McRoberts just started getting some decent time last year and he's the youngest and has the least wear and tear by far. That we should definitely resign him at the right price.

I wish he was better on the boards but he still has time to improve where the others pretty much are what they are.

I like Dalembert and Humphries as well but I wouldn't overpay for either of them.

I don't know if overall we could feasibly do any better than McRoberts, Dalembert and Foster.

Someone give me any other combination that we could possibly get that would be better to cover all of our front court needs.

rexnom
06-25-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't want any part of anyone who was in Detroit last year. I think we'll use our cap space not for FA but for trades.

CooperManning
06-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Can we sign someone to a frontloaded contract, (ie what the Thunder did with Nick Collison (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/24/thunder-get-creative-with-nick-collison%E2%80%99s-contract/))?

Seems like a perfect time to do it, we don't need the space next year but will need it down the road.

CooperManning
06-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Here's an analysis of free agent power forwards by Paul Banks from Washington Times:

http://walterfootball.com/nbafreeagents2011pf.php

He has Humphries, Landry, Big Baby, Murphy (lol), and McBob as possibilities for the Pacers.

TheRifleman51
06-26-2011, 12:08 AM
How do you guys feel about Big Baby i know his kind of small but he can score. I'm not sure if he's better than Tyler or not.
:confused:

pacer4ever
06-26-2011, 12:23 AM
How do you guys feel about Big Baby i know his kind of small but he can score. I'm not sure if he's better than Tyler or not.
:confused:

He is a system guy i think you take him out of Boston's system he becomes less effective.

CooperManning
06-26-2011, 12:25 AM
Not interested in Big Baby.

TheRifleman51
06-26-2011, 12:27 AM
He is a system guy i think you take him out of Boston's system he becomes less effective.

That is a good point i was just thinking he's a hard nose guy who i think is better than Kris on Offense but i do see what you are saying about a system guy.

Pacerfan83
06-26-2011, 01:46 AM
Yeah I think Hans and McBob would do better than Big Baby in our system

A.B.Hollywood
06-26-2011, 03:32 AM
Here's an analysis of free agent power forwards by Paul Banks from Washington Times:

http://walterfootball.com/nbafreeagents2011pf.php

He has Humphries, Landry, Big Baby, Murphy (lol), and McBob as possibilities for the Pacers.

Dude predicts Landry's contract at 4 years, 22 million. Uhh...

sign me up for that!

CooperManning
06-26-2011, 03:57 AM

sign me up for that!

That seems low, but yeah I would definitely take him at that price (especially if we frontloaded it).

pacer4ever
06-26-2011, 04:07 AM
That seems low, but yeah I would definitely take him at that price (especially if we frontloaded it).

Nazr Mohammed (UFA), Thunder.
A proven veteran who can bang inside and provide a team with a serviceable center, Mohammed should be sought after for a fairly inexpensive price. Since OKC re-signed Kendrick Perkins to a long-term extension and drafted Cole Aldrich last year, expect Mohammed to find a new home next season.

Predicted Contract: 2 years, $5 million

Possible Destinations: TOR, SA, SAC, IND, MIL, PHI

sign me up for Nazr especially if Foster isnt back. I wouldn't mind adding Greg Smith for the minimum also.

but all of this guys predictions are low. He expects Wilson Chandler to get 5yrs 35m i assume some team will give him a lot more.

Pacersalltheway10
06-26-2011, 01:12 PM
If we want to build the best bench, sign Wilson Chandler. Or trade Granger and Rush in a sign and trade for Marc Gasol and OJ Mayo(Is that possible?) and sign Tyson Chandler. And trade Gasol for Josh Smith

Collison/Hill
Mayo/Lance
George/Chandler
Smith/Hans
Hibbert/Chandler

PacersPride
06-26-2011, 03:29 PM
I dont know if its been written, but I think Carl Landry is the player Bird will target in FA. just a hunch...

JB24
06-26-2011, 03:36 PM
I haven't seen his name brought up anywhere, so what about Mbah A Moute? He's a RFA, but with Gooden, Sanders, Brockman, Ilyasova (though he's likely leaving) and now Leuer all playing the same position, does anyone think Milwaukee would match if someone threw MLE type money (which I think he's totally worth) at him?

pacer4ever
06-26-2011, 05:06 PM
I haven't seen his name brought up anywhere, so what about Mbah A Moute? He's a RFA, but with Gooden, Sanders, Brockman, Ilyasova (though he's likely leaving) and now Leuer all playing the same position, does anyone think Milwaukee would match if someone threw MLE type money (which I think he's totally worth) at him?

I would love to add him it would take the sting off not getting Chris Singleton a little. That guy is rare he can guard all 5 positions.

D-BONE
06-26-2011, 05:38 PM
If we absolutely can't get anyone better, I'd look into Landry. I like from the standpoint of offense. He can supply that and we still need scoring support.

Say you go into next season having added he and Hill. That should be a significant addition of consistent offensive input. However, that's pretty much where the pros start and end with Landry. We are so starved for help on the glass, and his career high avg. is 09-10 around 6 boards in about 30 minutes per game.

So, I say he should be close to a last resort and he would have to come at a very reasonable price. I think we're a better team with Landry, just no as much as you'd want given our specific needs on the interior.

D-BONE
06-26-2011, 05:44 PM
I really like Mbah Moute as a player, but again, does he really provide us with what we most need? I can't forsee him displacing Hansbrough as the starting 4. Yes, he can guard multiple positions, but can he be a front-line, big minute 4?

Love to have what he brings from a defensive standpoint, but you add him and you're still looking for traditional 4 that is a notable upgrade.

Sign me up for Nazr. Although he's a straight 5, so the PF quandry remains unsolved. Would be a nice back up for Roy though.

righteouscool
06-26-2011, 05:47 PM
I really like Mbah Moute as a player, but again, does he really provide us with what we most need? I can't forsee him displacing Hansbrough as the starting 4. Yes, he can guard multiple positions, but can he be a front-line, big minute 4?

Love to have what he brings from a defensive standpoint, but you add him and you're still looking for traditional 4 that is a notable upgrade.

Sign me up for Nazr. Although he's a straight 5, so the PF quandry remains unsolved. Would be a nice back up for Roy though.

I'm okay with Hans getting a lot of minutes at the 4 this year, but I don't think he should start with Roy. With Danny, Collison, Hibbert, and an offensively improved George I don't think you need anything but a good defender/great rebounder at the 4. I'd also hate for the Pacers to over pay for any of the free agents this year and Mbah seems like he'd be cheap. That would be a good signing imo.

McKeyFan
06-26-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm down with Mbah Moute.

We'd need to offer some pronunciation classes.

D-BONE
06-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm okay with Hans getting a lot of minutes at the 4 this year, but I don't think he should start with Roy. With Danny, Collison, Hibbert, and an offensively improved George I don't think you need anything but a good defender/great rebounder at the 4. I'd also hate for the Pacers to over pay for any of the free agents this year and Mbah seems like he'd be cheap. That would be a good signing imo.

We have no indication that LMM is a GREAT rebounder. Does anyone feel that assessment to be accurate? His averages in 25ish minutes per are usually in the 5ish range.

I suppose I can live with that if TH can manufacture 5 or six himself. That's a succesful platoon scenario. However, I still don't perceive either of them to give us the glass eater type. Am I off base there? Anyway, I'd be happy to add Mbah Moute either way.

Scot Pollard
06-26-2011, 06:12 PM
I'd take Kris Humphries, but I can't help to feel like he was to New Jersey as Tyler/Josh were to us as far as starting.

Nene is a long shot. I feel like Josh Smith via trade is more realistic.

I'd think about Kenyon Martin.

We don't really need anything else at other positions.

A backup center however...give me Kyrylo Fesenko. I actually liked how he did with Utah a few years ago as the starter.

Pacersalltheway10
06-26-2011, 06:55 PM
I'd go after Marc Gasol at PF. He can play both positions very well. I don't see why people say he's just a center. Since he's lost all that weight when he came into the league, he's been able to play both PF and C well.

A.B.Hollywood
06-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Can we sign someone to a frontloaded contract, (ie what the Thunder did with Nick Collison (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/24/thunder-get-creative-with-nick-collison%E2%80%99s-contract/))?

Seems like a perfect time to do it, we don't need the space next year but will need it down the road.

I think this is an excellent point that the Pacers should really do what they can to take advantage of. Its done in the NFL quite regularly.

I'd also throw out a one year deal on Greg Oden. Something big that the Trailblazers won't match (12-14 million or so). The risk/reward there is damn good in my mind. Don't know if he'd take this though.

A.B.Hollywood
06-26-2011, 07:45 PM
I'd go after Marc Gasol at PF. He can play both positions very well. I don't see why people say he's just a center. Since he's lost all that weight when he came into the league, he's been able to play both PF and C well.

I agree. Of all the actual options out there for us this man fits the ball the most. Defensively minded. Solid rebounder. Nice low post moves. High energy. Quality guy in the locker room. Untapped potential and all of this while still being very young.

I just think Memphis will match any deal that we make for him. But if thats the case then so be it. Lets throw the bank at this guy and if we get lucky, great. If not then they have no money to sign Mayo after this season and we can snag him for free as a consolation prize :D

CableKC
06-26-2011, 09:42 PM

sign me up for that!
Landry is a decent offensive player that does not rebound very well and does not block shots..if anything, I'd say that he's similar to Hansbrough.

If we are truly going back to SmashMouth Basketball with Vogel, we need a tough rebounding, shot blocking and defensive minded Big Man that can play next to Hibbert and Hansbrough.

CableKC
06-26-2011, 09:55 PM
I'd take Kris Humphries, but I can't help to feel like he was to New Jersey as Tyler/Josh were to us as far as starting.
The Pacers had to play McBob because they had no choice. The Nets had a choice to play Murphy and chose to play Humphries because of his rebounding defense and shot blocking.

Nene is a long shot. I feel like Josh Smith via trade is more realistic.
What realistic trade should you offer the Hawks that you think they would accept?

My guess is that there is very little that we can offer that the Hawks would accept without giving up any of our core players?

McKeyFan
06-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Can we do a three way with the Lakers for Josh Smith?

We give up Collison and Foster in a sign a trade. Hawks get Bynum or Gasol.

Pacer!
06-26-2011, 10:04 PM

No way the Bucks would let him walk. He's a key cog in their defense, heck the guy guards Kobe one night, and then KG the next... his value is immense in Milwaukee even with their glut of 4s.

MillerTime
06-26-2011, 10:29 PM
I think we need a solid scorer coming off the bench. Someone like JR Smith and Jamal Crawford would be nice to have.

Getting Chandler will be nearly impossible. Dallas is not going to let him walk.

Nene and David West would be interesting. I think Hansbrough would be better situated coming off the bench...his energy would be nice.

QuickRelease
06-27-2011, 07:03 PM
I think we need a solid scorer coming off the bench. Someone like JR Smith and Jamal Crawford would be nice to have.

Getting Chandler will be nearly impossible. Dallas is not going to let him walk.

Nene and David West would be interesting. I think Hansbrough would be better situated coming off the bench...his energy would be nice.

Lance + JR Smith = :shudder:

CableKC
06-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Keep in mind that the Mavs have $60 mil in guaranteed Salary.

Although we won't know what happens with the CBA....assuming that there aren't major changes.....can the Mavs exceed the Luxury Tax Limit to match a UFA offer that a Player gets?

My guess is not. The Pacers would have to really overpay Tyson Chandler if they wanted to make the Mavs "blink".

A.B.Hollywood
06-27-2011, 07:42 PM
The Pacers had to play McBob because they had no choice. The Nets had a choice to play Murphy and chose to play Humphries because of his rebounding defense and shot blocking.

What realistic trade should you offer the Hawks that you think they would accept?

My guess is that there is very little that we can offer that the Hawks would accept without giving up any of our core players?

Tyler + Rush + Next years #1 for Josh Smith and we eat the rest of the salary probably gets a deal done.

The question here is if you consider a for sure future back up in Tyler as part of the "core". I guess I do but at the same time if there is anyone to deal of that group IMO it should be him.

I take this trade and do cartwheels all the way home personally.

troyc11a
06-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Tyler + Rush + Next years #1 for Josh Smith and we eat the rest of the salary probably gets a deal done.

The question here is if you consider a for sure future back up in Tyler as part of the "core". I guess I do but at the same time if there is anyone to deal of that group IMO it should be him.

Please for the love of all mankind, everyone drop it with the Josh Smith stuff. We dont need another undersized pf. We need to get bigger, not smaller. Unless we can get Dikembe Mutumbo to come out of retirement, Smith would be useless here.

A.B.Hollywood
06-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Please for the love of all mankind, everyone drop it with the Josh Smith stuff. We dont need another undersized pf. We need to get bigger, not smaller. Unless we can get Dikembe Mutumbo to come out of retirement, Smith would be useless here.

You obviously know nothing about Josh Smith.

But thanks for the opinion.

Pacersalltheway10
06-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Lance + JR Smith = :shudder:

:cheers::zip:

troyc11a
06-27-2011, 08:16 PM
You obviously know nothing about Josh Smith.

But thanks for the opinion.

I know he played the 3 in the playoffs and drove the fans nuts dribbling outside on the perimeter. I know he is only 6'8-9. I know he loves to shoot the 3 ball. Yea, I know plenty about Josh Smith and would be shocked if Bird has any interest in him. After all the headcases we just got rid of, no way I want to see another one like Smith anywhere around this team.

PacerGuy
06-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Here are some of MY thoughts...
In a (likely) shortened season (thus w/ a shortened pre-season) having a group of vets & guys ho have played together & are familiar w/ one another will greatly help. Re-signing some of our "key" FA would only add to our chemistry. And even though G.Hill has not played w/ this current group, being a vet he will greatly help us much more vs. having a rookie - another great part to the trade!

This is NOT a great season to sign FA's, so be smart, build with depth & go for it 110% in '12 (ie: EJ!)
That said:

OUR FA's:
-Re-sign Foster (1 yr w/ a Team option for a 2nd) for depth.
-Re-sign McRoberts & get him on the post & off the perimeter. Get him focused off playing "mean". Love his athleticism, & if we can start getting some production from the 2, his limited offense will not be as glaring, plus now w/ G.Hill's ability to penetrate & playing w/ an elite big should help Josh & Roy.

My DON'T wants:
-D.West: 31 yrs old coming off an ACL, turned down 3/26 so he obviously wants more - Too Much, PASS!
-K.Martin: 33 yrs old, not sure about his attitude w/ a young core, likely wants too much like West).
-A.Jefferson: (via trade): 13 Mil for 3 more yrs., more a C then a PF, don't see as a fit next to Roy.
-Carl Landrey: I like him, but is is not the "long, athletic PF" we need/ desire. He will likely be too expensive for be a 2nd/3rd PF off the bench. I want to want him, but I just don't see him addressing our needs.

My Wants:
-Tyson Chandler: Now there is No Way he leaves Dallas, but his size, defense, & leadership would be the Perfect compliment to what we need. We won't get him, but he should be at the top on any list.
-Nene: Again, another pipe dream, but he would be a great get. Not sold on him being a PF, but he is the type of talent you go for when you can.
-Shane Battier: The Perfect vet & backup SF/SG. Locker room Gold!!!
Honorable Mention:
-Kris Humphries: If he does not resign w/ NJ due to them wanting to save $ for D.Williams & Lopez n/y, he might be an interesting option to look at. Even if HE is not interesting to look at, Kim K. will be!!!

My "Under the Radar" pick:
-Earl Clark: Only 23 yrs old, 6'10", now a sculpted 250 lbs, w/ a 7'2" wing span, can play 3 & 4 & is a strong defender! He was not tendered an offer off his rookie deal (by PHX), so he signs under the new CBA & will not expire w/ the rest of most of his draft class, thus spacing his contract away from many of our young core. In Orlando (where he seemed to attach himself to D.Howard) he added over 10#'s & seemed to find a work ethic. Van Gundy praised his work & especially his defense - said he could be "special" as a defender w/ a developing offensive game. There were rumors last season early that L.Bird had interest. Could he be a potential Lamar Odom type down the road? I like his fit with this team.

My "Long Shot" pick:
-Greg Oden: POR has till Thur to tender, if they do he can refuse to sign & instantly be a FA (unlikely), or sign & either be delt in season, or play out his 1 yr & become a FA. Last word I heard has Greg sitting out till after the new year to insure he gets healthy. Good news for him, if there is a lockout & a 50 game'ish season, he might not miss anything. Also, I'm not mistaken, Greg's agent is M.Conely Sr. If I am right, this could play very well in Greg's favor (as well as ours!). With MC Sr., there is an emotional element that might not be there with someone who does not know Greg like he does, & he will want what is truly the best for Greg the person. If Greg is as emotionally beat up as we hear he is, maybe coming home might be a great move for him. The support of family & friends could only help this young man (IMO). As for his "fit" on our roster, playing as a b/u to a guy like Roy would be great as the limited min's would allow Greg time to heal (physically & emotionally) and to regain some confidence. For Roy, playing against a solid defensive big every day in practice would be great for him as well. For the team, adding a former #1 pick & potential stud defensive big could be huge, plus adding another hometown kid won't hurt the box office either.coming home & playing back up min's could be great for him personally. If this is not a '11 move, I could see in in '12

DrFife
06-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Excellent post, PacerGuy! Whether others agree with your opinions or not, they're well considered and well written.

I've been reviewing teams feeling "pressure," whether because of positional logjams (e.g., Utah) or finances (e.g., Orlando). My essential question lately has been, "If we assume that our ideal PF will not be acquired for next season, what else can we do to strengthen our team for the following season and beyond?" Maybe the answer lies in the "in between" category: sign-and-trades.

xBulletproof
06-29-2011, 06:19 PM
I know he played the 3 in the playoffs and drove the fans nuts dribbling outside on the perimeter. I know he is only 6'8-9. I know he loves to shoot the 3 ball. Yea, I know plenty about Josh Smith and would be shocked if Bird has any interest in him. After all the headcases we just got rid of, no way I want to see another one like Smith anywhere around this team.

He's as big as Tyler. Enough said on that.

Now he's a headcase? Some people are so hypersensitive to that idea that it's now gone a bit overboard. Anyone who does anything is a headcase anymore. Rush got caught doing drugs. Ship him out. Granger got in a fight with Sonny Weems .... headcase. Ship him out. Hibbert got 5 technicals, what a headcase. Get him out of here too.

aceace
06-29-2011, 06:28 PM
I assume nothing can/will happen until the CBA is signed? So it might be awhile. I doubt Humphries would be interested in coming here unless the wedding gets called off.(IMHO) As someone pointed out earlier always be weary of players posting career highs in a contract year. Humphries might be an exception here, he's young and will try to impress his new wife but you have to remember he is only a role player. Oden would be a gamble. I could see Larry doing this if the price was right which would be a short contract 3 years or less, it's a chance to hit a home run. Josh Smith has the highest vertical jump in the league. At 6'9 he's more like a 7 footer. He would be oh so welcome here. Chandler will re-sign with Dallas because Mark has a ton of money that he likes to spend and the Mavericks are his hobby. As for anyone else... IMHO we will only sign someone who is young, under 28, reasonable salary and brings the attitude of "what can I do to help win games".

CableKC
06-29-2011, 06:38 PM
"Probablly" would be the operative word here.....that would be the most that I'd want to offer. IMHO...that is a little bit better then any other offer ( basically a "Prospect+future 1st+TPE" offer ) that any other Team can make. But I default back to the notion that I do not think that the Hawks would send Josh Smith ( a Player that would impact any Team that he is traded to ) to another Eastern Conference Team UNLESS that Eastern Conference Team makes them an offer that they cannot refuse. IMHO....I don't think that the "BRush+Hansbrough+1st+TPE" offer is one they can refuse..

If we can't outright sign Chandler, Nene or Humphries....and the Hawks actually were willing to consider the trade offer ( as you suggest ), I'd be okay with trading away Hansbrough.

As I have mentioned before....I'd be willing to part with Hansbrough ONLY if it netted us a Rebounding, Shotblocking and Low-Post defender....such as Al Jeff, SideShow Bob and ( a little bit reluctantly ) Josh Smith. I would not trade away a Core Player like Hansbrough if it was part of a S&T or trade involving a Player like David West or Landry....basically a Player that I do not think would add to our Smashmouth Frontcourt.