PDA

View Full Version : Al Jefferson or Paul Millsap?

D0NT SH0OT ME
06-24-2011, 05:53 PM
With the recent addition of Enes Kanter to the Jazz's already well stocked frontcourt it has become apparent that Utah's management plans on moving a few of the players from the 4 and 5 positions to ease the logjam for paying time. Out of the available players it seems that Jefferson and/or Millsap would be the most likely ones to be traded, so which one would you prefer and what do you think would be a reasonable offer for them?

Hoop
06-24-2011, 06:02 PM
I flat don't like Jefferson as a player, he is a good low post scorer, but poor defender and slow. Not a good fit with Roy.

I like Milsap, but I wouldn't break up any of our core players to get him. I want a bigger PF type who can play some center, like maybe Nene.

Infinite MAN_force
06-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Millsap x 1000.

Al Jefferson would be a terrible fit with Roy Hibbert, he also costs more. I'm starting to feel like Millsap is the way to go and I hope the Pacers find a way to make that happen.

Pacersalltheway10
06-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Favors, but we're in win now mode. Neither, but of the 2 Millsap.

righteouscool
06-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Milsap would make me feel great about next season. He's not a perfect fit by any means so I wouldn't give up any cores players, but he fills the one huge need on the roster at this point until next years free agency.

vnzla81
06-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Al Jefferson all day.

Pacersalltheway10
06-24-2011, 06:09 PM
If they want cap relief. James Posey and rush is the way too go.

naptownmenace
06-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Al Jefferson.

How did the myth that Al plays no defense and is slow grow roots and spread so fast?

He is an above average defender, better than Hansbrough, and is not slow by any means. He was in the best shape of his life last year - thinner and in better condition - and it really helped with his agility out on the court. All you have to do is watch some game video and see he's not slow or a bad defender.

Oh, yeah... and he can score 20-40 points with ease.

Rogco
06-24-2011, 06:18 PM
I haven't seen them to much, but from what I've seen Jefferson was the much more talented player.

flox
06-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Al Jefferson all day every day and twice on Saturdays. He's a legit low post threat, a threat to put up 20-10 every night, and is probably as good as Z-Bo as long as we show him some love. Tell me how Hibbert/Jefferson isn't as good as Gasol/Randolph for the East.

A.B.Hollywood
06-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Al Jefferson.

I actually think he DOES fit well next to Hibbert. And he would become the best go to scorer on this team (Milsap would not). He has proven that his knee injury is of the past and has 20/10 written all over him.

Last I checked those don't grow on trees.

Contract Wise he is only on the books for two more years. If for some reason he comes here and sucks it up (which I HIGHLY doubt would be the case) we'd have ourselves a pretty damn nice trade chip in 2013 with a 15 million dollar expiring contract.

Sign me up.

Really?
06-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Where is the neither option?

Really?
06-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Favors, but we're in win now mode. Neither, but of the 2 Millsap.

Favors will be better than both in 2 years... I'm with you...

Brad8888
06-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Al. Horford.

spreedom
06-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Al Jefferson.

How did the myth that Al plays no defense and is slow grow roots and spread so fast?

Probably because he's played out of position for the past three seasons. As a center, he isn't much of a defender because he is slightly undersized and doesn't block shots. I agree that as a power forward, he is adequate defensively (though I wouldn't call him any more than that, just "good enough") but he is definitely not suited to play defensive as a traditional five.

For what it's worth, I don't think we could go wrong with either of these guys. They both fit needs that we have and are best suited to play the four, our weakest position depth-wise.

Really?
06-24-2011, 06:49 PM
We need an enforcer at the 4.... b/c we definitely don't have one at the 5, lol basically a taller longer Tyler... find me that and I will be happy...

vnzla81
06-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Hill,PG,Danny,Al,Hibbert? .......... :drool:

Frostwolf
06-24-2011, 06:54 PM
if we can find a way to get either one of the two, they're both very good, without breaking up our core then i'd be ecstatic.

Pacerfan83
06-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I stated in a thread yesterday I believe Millsap would be perfect to solidify our team as a whole. But would be happy with either him or Jefferson.

Sparhawk
06-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Wouldn't want either one.

sopgy
06-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Either!

I would take them both if we could swing a deal for BRush + Posey+ 1st. Rd. 2012 + maybe DC/Hill

Not sure what their market value is though.

Hell, we just traded a mid first round pick for Hill, so Milsap shouldn't be that much more

Gamble1
06-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Al Jefferson all day every day and twice on Saturdays. He's a legit low post threat, a threat to put up 20-10 every night, and is probably as good as Z-Bo as long as we show him some love. Tell me how Hibbert/Jefferson isn't as good as Gasol/Randolph for the East.
Thats a comparion I have used in the past as well but this is about how much and I can't believe that the Jazz would let them walk for expirings and a mid to late first round pick.

IMO to get Jefferson we would have to offer them much more.

CableKC
06-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Al Jefferson...but it doesn't matter....we have no assets to acquire him.

Lance George
06-24-2011, 07:45 PM
I think Jefferson's a little bit better than Millsap, but Paul's contract is much preferable, and I think his superior mobility/agility would work better next to Big Roy.

I'd take either as long as they came at a fair price.

RLeWorm
06-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Al Jefferson is definitely the better player, but does he fit?

KingGeorge
06-24-2011, 08:21 PM
I have always been a fan of Millsap, and I think he would be a good fit here. If we could work out a trade without giving up any of our core players, we should definitely pursue that option.

cdash
06-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Either!

I would take them both if we could swing a deal for BRush + Posey+ 1st. Rd. 2012 + maybe DC/Hill

Not sure what their market value is though.

Hell, we just traded a mid first round pick for Hill, so Milsap shouldn't be that much more

I want to keep that pick. The 2012 draft is going to be bananas. So much good talent will be available. Plus I'd rather not go two consecutive years without a first round pick.

Gamble1
06-24-2011, 09:21 PM
I want to keep that pick. The 2012 draft is going to be bananas. So much good talent will be available. Plus I'd rather not go two consecutive years without a first round pick.
Is it too early to predict the pick....

I think we go Tyler Zeller or Jon Henson my sleeper is CJ Leslie.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Is it too early to predict the pick....

I think we go Tyler Zeller or Jon Henson my sleeper is CJ Leslie.

Isnt there currently a rule that does not allow a team to trade consecutive first round picks?

cdash
06-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Isnt there currently a rule that does not allow a team to trade consecutive first round picks?

Technically, we didn't trade the pick. We traded the player we picked, but we still made the draft choice, if that makes sense.

Trophy
06-24-2011, 10:03 PM
I don't know. I think both guys would fit in nicely next to Roy.

I like what Jefferson has to bring between offensive post scoring, rebounding and is more of a solid player than Millsap.

Jefferson looked like an All-Star before he tore his ACL.

He looked to have gotten back to his old self last season.

d_c
06-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Technically, we didn't trade the pick. We traded the player we picked, but we still made the draft choice, if that makes sense.

Correct, but going one step further, even that doesn't matter. The rule is that you can't have two consecutive 1st round picks traded at any one moment in time.

So right now, how many 1st round picks do the Pacers currently have traded away? Answer: ZERO

The answer would be the same right now whether the Pacers used the pick and traded it or just traded it before making the pick.

What the Pacers could not have done is this: Traded away the pick before Thursday while also trading away their 2012 pick before Thursday. That would be having 2 1st round picks traded away at the same time. That is against the rules.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 10:15 PM

I understand that. It is really still the same thing. But if that rule is still in place, we will not be able to trade next years pick. I dont know if it is or not. Or was the rule that a team could not trade consecutive picks in the same deal? IDK

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Correct, but going one step further, even that doesn't matter. The rule is that you can't have two consecutive 1st round picks traded at any one moment in time.

So right now, how many 1st round picks do the Pacers currently have traded away? Answer: ZERO

The answer would be the same right now whether the Pacers used the pick and traded it or just traded it before making the pick.

What the Pacers could not have done is this: Traded away the pick before Thursday while also trading away their 2012 pick before Thursday. That would be having 2 1st round picks traded away at the same time. That is against the rules.

So a team could trade their pick every year providing they did it on draft night and all individual from the others?

pwee31
06-24-2011, 10:20 PM
This really depends on what type of player you're looking for at PF.

Both players are 26 years old, with Jefferson having more experiences coming out of high school.

Millsap gives you a guy that doesn't need the touches to be effective. Only 6'8 but rebounds well and is a known commodity who plays hard and is talent. He's really the main reason Boozer was easy to let go of.

Jefferson bring a scoring dimension and would likely take touches away from Hibbert down low. He's been playing center at 6'10 but could move to PF, just could have issues guarding some of the quicker/athletic PFs. Could also play some center when Roy is not on the floor.

Either would help the team move forward, really just depends on what type of offensive player you want Roy to be.

d_c
06-24-2011, 10:23 PM
So a team could trade their pick every year providing they did it on draft night and all individual from the others?

Absolutely.

What you can't do is have FUTURE consecutive picks (picks that haven't been used) traded away at the same time. So right now you can't have the 2012 and 2013 picks traded away. That's 2 future picks traded away at once. That's against the rules.

But you can trade away the 2012 pick right now, then the moment after the 2012 draft is over with, you can trade away the 2013 pick.

bphil
06-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Let's see... in the game we played against Utah at Conseco this year, Jefferson went for 30/8 with 5 blocks, and Milsap went for 23/18 with 7 ORB. Those guys completely embarrassed our bigs and the Jazz won handily.

I like Hans and McBobs just fine, but I'd have to say that either Jefferson or Milsap at PF would be a nice upgrade over what we currently have, and both of them are only 26 years old...

Hicks
06-24-2011, 11:26 PM
No matter how good the 2012 draft is, unless it's someone we/they think will be a superstar or close, I'd much rather we do another trade like we did last night than wait on another rookie. We have our youth. We can add young veterans and still be a young team.

As to the question of the thread/poll, I picked Milsap because of his contract, but I'd welcome either one. Jefferson is more of a risk because of his contract, health, and possibly his head. But he's more talented.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Absolutely.

What you can't do is have FUTURE consecutive picks (picks that haven't been used) traded away at the same time. So right now you can't have the 2012 and 2013 picks traded away. That's 2 future picks traded away at once. That's against the rules.

But you can trade away the 2012 pick right now, then the moment after the 2012 draft is over with, you can trade away the 2013 pick.

Wow, what a loophole. I guess the only thing the rule was meant to stop was a team mortgaging the future for one player (ala.. Chris Weber).

vnzla81
06-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Millsap and Jefferson are similar on defense, I rather have a bigger player on Jefferson, I've seen Millsap getting abuse on defense because of his height, Jefferson > Millsap.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Millsap and Jefferson are similar on defense, I rather have a bigger player on Jefferson, I've seen Millsap getting abuse on defense because of his height, Jefferson > Millsap.

Fat Albert averages 1 more block per game than Milsap. Neither will help with protecting the rim though. Al Jeff helps a little more than Milsap. He is too small. Tyler could be as good as Milsap in a couple years.

vnzla81
06-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Fat Albert averages 1 more block per game than Milsap. Neither will help with protecting the rim though. Al Jeff helps a little more than Milsap. He is too small. Tyler could be as good as Milsap in a couple years.

I don't think he is fat, I don't know were people get this from?

Pacerfan83
06-24-2011, 11:45 PM
I would love to get Millsap and Heyward in a package. I DO realize they wouldn't trade both just saying. Maybe we could package McBob, Rush, 2012 1st, and Donthay since George is a good defender. I know at wouldn't be enough cause all are role players but they could use some expirings maybe plus the 1st

d_c
06-25-2011, 12:03 AM
Wow, what a loophole. I guess the only thing the rule was meant to stop was a team mortgaging the future for one player (ala.. Chris Weber).

The rule was already around for the Webber trade. The Warriors committed future picks in 96', 98' and 2000. That was not against the rules since none of those future picks were in consecutive years.

The rule was invented back in the 80's due to Ted Stepien, a former owner of the Cavs who constantly traded away future picks for veterans to the detriment of his own team. It's informally referred to as the Stepien rule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Stepien

Doddage
06-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Man, do I wish Favors was an option for us. He'd seriously be an awesome fit next to Hibbert. I'd easily trade Granger for him.

BringJackBack
06-25-2011, 01:45 AM
I wouldn't trade Danny Granger for him. We do not need any more prospects, and especially not one for our best player.