PDA

View Full Version : George Hill not happy at all about the trade

bphil
06-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Apparently George isn't too excited about coming back home...

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/06/23/mike-monroe-when-the-smoke-clears-parker-still-a-spur/

Hill wasn’t happy to be the player traded to get him, and his pal, DeJuan Blair, was downright angry.

Selected in back-to-back drafts by a team that was older than dirt, Hill and Blair quickly became best buddies.

They hung out together, did commercials for a local business and created their own nicknames, “Big and Smalls.” The joke, of course, was that Hill, the 6-foot-2 guard, was “Big.” Blair, all 6-7 and 270 pounds, was “Smalls.”

Their goal, said Blair, was to become the “faces of the franchise” once Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker were done playing.

Blair’s faces after Thursday’s draft?

Five angry red faces sent to his Twitter followers.

The fact Hill was traded to the team that plays in his hometown was no consolation. One of the most affable of Spurs was not up to speaking to the reporters he always accommodated, win or lose, hero or goat.

“He is real emotional right now,” said his agent, Michael Whitacre.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/06/23/spurs-say-%E2%80%98hi%E2%80%99-to-kawhi-%E2%80%98bye%E2%80%99-to-hill/

Those close to Hill say he is leaving town neither willingly nor happily.

Perhaps he was happy to have escaped Indy and now he's pissed about being forced to come back here...? All this talk about him being a glue guy may turn out to be pretty far off base...

xBulletproof
06-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Odd. Everything I read said quite the opposite.

BringJackBack
06-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Look at the source (The same source that doesn't even say that he is happy or not), and then look at the multiple sources that have said that he is happy to be back home.

PR07
06-24-2011, 05:19 PM
I've heard the contrary from other people, and that George Hill actually asked to be traded closer to home. However, he did have some previous resentment towards the Pacers' organization for passing on him in the draft and was never a fan of Jim O'Brien for his own reasons (which probably were justified in hindsight).

Trophy
06-24-2011, 05:19 PM
I don't believe this.

He said he was thankful for what the Spurs did for in his career and he was excited to return to Indy.

Maybe he's emotional about leaving the Spurs and getting to know them and that's 100% understandable, but at the same time happy about coming to the Pacers.

Besides those are coming from San Antonio reporters.

The Sleeze
06-24-2011, 05:21 PM
fixed

Dejuan Blair not happy at all about the trade

naptownmenace
06-24-2011, 05:21 PM
I think he's more upset with the Spurs brass than he is with returning to Indianapolis.

He probably thought that the Spurs were going to trade Tony Parker and name him the full-time starter. Now to find out he's been traded for the #15 draft pick and 2 Euros that will probably never play in the NBA because the Spurs didn't want to have to pay him longterm money... that has to feel like a slap in the face.

I think he'll like playing for the Pacers and he'll be a fan favorite because of his personality and game.

Sollozzo
06-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Look at the source (The same source that doesn't even say that he is happy or not), and then look at the multiple sources that have said that he is happy to be back home.

What are the sources that have said he is happy to be back home? I haven't had time to read everything yet, but I don't recall reading anything like that thus far. Do you have a link?

Trophy
06-24-2011, 05:24 PM
He expressed his feelings on Twitter: "Very emotional moment right now!!! But just want to Thank Everyone for all the Support. SA has been great to me and will never forget it!!"

He doesn't sound too unhappy about the trade at all.

Just mixed emotions between saying goodbye to the team he's played for since being draft, but is thrilled to be coming home.

A.B.Hollywood
06-24-2011, 05:26 PM
I have no doubt that he was disappointed to be traded in general. This is commonly viewed as "you aren't as important to us as x player is" and that is a knock on your ego regardless of the truth behind that or not.

With that in mind I HIGHLY doubt that he has any serious reservations about Indiana in general. Dude regularly comes back here for camps and alike (he's in the Pro-Am this off-season here) and he has a tattoo of the state on his torso.

That doesn't sound like someone looking to get away from Indy to me. Dude just had his world shattered, unexpectedly. And his best friend is peeved about it.

All of this part makes sense. And I don't blame him.

bphil
06-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Odd. Everything I read said quite the opposite.

Links? And of course he's going to publicly say that he's happy to come back home to the media here, but he was in S.A. when the trade went down, so the people close to him there are going to have a much better gauge of his true reaction.

Trophy
06-24-2011, 05:33 PM
According to Roy's twitter.

Just got off the phone with George Hill. He's ready to come home n get started.

That SA article is trash. They don't know what they're saying and just looking to stir things up in the area because fans really liked him.

Lance George
06-24-2011, 05:33 PM
There's only one reasonable solution: Dejuan Blair should demand to be traded here.

Sandman21
06-24-2011, 05:34 PM
I'd be ticked too if I was being groomed to be the point guard of the future and then get traded for a guy who's offensive abilities are suspect, a second rounder who may or not pan out, and a guy who may or may not ever come to the NBA PERIOD....

But let that be the Spurs problem when George gets to play them twice a year. :D

Brad8888
06-24-2011, 05:43 PM
I would suspect, but have absolutely no proof, that George Hill has completely mixed feelings at this point. Like others have stated, he thought he was the next starter for the Spurs during their rebuilding process and had acclimated to living in San Antonio. He probably still has ties here as well, but who knows where his heart lies at this point?

Also, if he committed to buying a house when he was a rookie in San Antonio, he is about to take a potentially major bath on unloading it, which would be a significant hit to him at his currently low salary, or make the choice to maintain it for years which could still prove to be expensive.

Another potential problem for him is the lockout. If he moves here and there is indeed a long lockout, he will have far less cash flow to support himself with in the interim, further damaging him financially regardless of what his position is with respect to the labor issues faced by the league and its players.

I don't envy George Hill at this point. His life just got worse for the time being, and I suspect that he is fully aware of that fact.

vnzla81
06-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Hill and Blair wanted to be the face of SA? Hahahahaha good luck with that......

naptownmenace
06-24-2011, 05:51 PM
From Pacers.com:

“It’s tough, but at the same time, things happen for a reason,” said Hill. “My hat is off to San Antonio for the opportunity I had here and I’m really looking forward to coming home to Indiana and helping the Pacers win games.”

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacers_acquire_george_hill_fro_2011_06_24.html

QuickRelease
06-24-2011, 05:51 PM
I think both responses are natural. It seems he was comfortable in San Antonio, and was therefore sad about leaving. His being unhappy about being traded likely would have been the response anywhere he went. Coming here, no doubt he is ready to get to work to make the team the best he can. I think both feelings can co-exist.

Eleazar
06-24-2011, 05:52 PM
There's only one reasonable solution: Dejuan Blair should demand to be traded here.

I think your avatar fits your post.

Reginald
06-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Good grief people, freaking RELAX! Even this slanted, completely ridiculous article says little more than Hill will miss San Antonio, which is by all accounts the best-run franchise in the NBA. Uh...shocking!

MnvrChvy
06-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Yeah the context is about blair being unhappy. I dont blaim him though. He's losing his buddy AND he's not very well liked by the fan base apparently.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Reginald
06-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Also, if he committed to buying a house when he was a rookie in San Antonio, he is about to take a potentially major bath on unloading it, which would be a significant hit to him at his currently low salary, or make the choice to maintain it for years which could still prove to be expensive.

I'd bet my own mortgage this never, ever, entered into his thinking. Can we please stop over-thinking this? He's a Pacer. The end.

Daniel33
06-24-2011, 05:56 PM
farewell interview from George Hill.
http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/110624_hill

I think hee's a classy guy. He really feels kinda sad leaving SA but embraces the chance to play for the Pacers. I think people in Indiana will love him as a person.

Reginald
06-24-2011, 06:03 PM
farewell interview from George Hill.
http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/110624_hill

Thanks for this.

"Home is home.. It's always great. It's always been a dream since I was a kid to play for the Pacers. So I'm extremely happy about that." --George Hill

Wow. Sounds like he really doesn't want to be here.

aaronb
06-24-2011, 06:09 PM

Love the avitar! The only guy I know of that is both a Rickson Gracie Black Belt, and the holder of the Polk High single game touchdown record!

Brad8888
06-24-2011, 06:10 PM
I'd bet my own mortgage this never, ever, entered into his thinking. Can we please stop over-thinking this? He's a Pacer. The end.

Love your avatar. Who is she?

He's a Pacer for now. The subject of the thread comes out of conflicting reports (imagine that on the innerwebs, eh?) of whether he is happy or not with this trade.

His happiness is material to his future success here, and, like all things on all discussion boards that are worth visiting, is subject to speculation and thoughtful discussion and debate.

If his financial situation is not in his thoughts, even at this early stage, I would be pretty surprised. If it is not, hopefully he has a competent financial advisor who can be trusted to help him avoid problems and think about this for him and let him know where he stands.

McKeyFan
06-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Misleading thread title.

Rogco
06-24-2011, 06:15 PM

He was avoiding local media today, which is very odd for a local player coming home a hero.

I don't think he wanted to leave San Antonio.

pwee31
06-24-2011, 06:17 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/JMcDonald_SAEN

Hill was asked if he thought Spurs still had title shot left. He grinned. "I hope not. Hopefully the Pacers have the title shot now."

More George Hill: "It was always a dream when I was a kid to play for the Pacers. I'm very excited about that."

CooperManning
06-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Good interview, seems like a really good dude. A lot of guys couldn't handle a 10 minute interview with that much poise.

Really?
06-24-2011, 06:29 PM
So ready for us to get over this trade talk, either be excited about Hill now or not excited but as far as the trade its done, now time to focus on making the rest of the team better and figuring out how everyone will work together. Putting together possible trades and hoping that our new coaches and players mesh.

Pacer Fan
06-24-2011, 06:29 PM
That Spurs article is pandering to the Spurs Fans. No real substance to it.

Glad to have you George Hill...Welcome Home!

graphic-er
06-24-2011, 06:40 PM
He was avoiding local media today, which is very odd for a local player coming home a hero.

Of course he didn't want to leave San Antonio. I'd imagine that he is not happy about being traded at all. He isn't TJ Ford, he won't be doing dances in the airport. He was an integral part of the NBA best record last year. Close relationship with his coach.

Lets hope he and Vogel can have half the relationship he had with Pop.

Kemo
06-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Love the avitar! The only guy I know of that is both a Rickson Gracie Black Belt, and the holder of the Polk High single game touchdown record!

Back when I was a teen, I once beat a Gracie in a judo tournament .. I can't remember his first name though, but he was either a son or nephew to Royce .. He would be 36/37 years old.. I am thinking his name was ryan .

edited to add: after googling, yes it was ryan gracie.. wow , didnt know he had died..and got himself in lots of trouble..

Dude was good as hell ...

LeeTheG7
06-24-2011, 06:51 PM
This George Hill guy sounds like a good guy. He might be a huge key to our sucesss next year. With Paul George and Granger doing most of the scoring we will need a smart pg that can hit open jump shots. Also he is a beast on defense.

SamBear
06-24-2011, 06:56 PM
George is in the middle of his Summer Camp. We (the fans) are very upset with this move, the front office is sad that they had to do this... :(

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2011/06/24/110623bufordmov-1743137

SycamoreKen
06-24-2011, 07:38 PM
I don't get the bashing of the article. Nonroe is a quality guy and isn't afraid to call out the Spurs when needed. He just laid out what happened and gave some background on why the trade happened. It even gave a little light to the "Pops favorite player" thing.

I'm happy he is coming to the Pacers and sad he is leaving the Spurs, but in that order. He was very popular here because if you are a good guy this town loves you. I can't blaim him for being upset, and that's not even including the lighter pay check since he now has to pay more in taxes.

Gamble1
06-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Back when I was a teen, I once beat a Gracie in a judo tournament .. I can't remember his first name though, but he was either a son or nephew to Royce .. He would be 36/37 years old.. I am thinking his name was ryan .

edited to add: after googling, yes it was ryan gracie.. wow , didnt know he had died..and got himself in lots of trouble..

Dude was good as hell ...

Any chance you know James Clingerman?

Lets face it SA is not a bad place to live and is an even better franchise than the Pacers. I would be pretty pissed too if I got screwed by a world class organization.

Another potential problem for him is the lockout. If he moves here and there is indeed a long lockout, he will have far less cash flow to support himself with in the interim, further damaging him financially regardless of what his position is with respect to the labor issues faced by the league and its players..

Maybe he can move into HIbberts apartment next to Conseco and they can be Big and Little part 2.

rabid
06-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Yeah George Hill must be super upset to come to Indiana... must be why he just got an ENORMOUS TATTOO OF INDIANA along his side... sheesh

Really?
06-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Yeah George Hill must be super upset to come to Indiana... must be why he just got an ENORMOUS TATTOO OF INDIANA along his side... sheesh

That was a yr ago... but I don't think any disappointment is with coming to indy, its more like leaving the home that he had grown accustom to, nothing wrong with that..

Kemo
06-24-2011, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=Gamble1;1258216]Any chance you know James Clingerman?QUOTE]

nah .. sure don't..

Haven't been in the martial arts scene for some time now....

rabid
06-24-2011, 08:07 PM
That was a yr ago... but I don't think any disappointment is with coming to indy, its more like leaving the home that he had grown accustom to, nothing wrong with that..

It was last month, not a year ago.

Psyren
06-24-2011, 08:08 PM
I truly feel he'll be ditching us in a year.

I love the trade for what it's worth next season, but I'm already considering him good as gone.

Gamble1
06-24-2011, 08:09 PM
nah .. sure don't..

Haven't been in the martial arts scene for some time now....
He's around 33 and been here for all his life. Got shot in the head by some random drunk guy in Castleton while in his car pretty much ending his MMA career. Now all he can do is teach but still has the love for it. IF you ever want to get back into it he's a guy I would recommend.

Trader Joe
06-24-2011, 08:11 PM
I like how the quote says he was emotional...that could mean any number of things, including happiness. The guy only played for the Spurs for 3 years some people are acting like they just traded Tim Duncan.

Trader Joe
06-24-2011, 08:12 PM
What are the sources that have said he is happy to be back home? I haven't had time to read everything yet, but I don't recall reading anything like that thus far. Do you have a link?

How about Hill's twitter?

bshall
06-24-2011, 08:15 PM
How about Hill's twitter?

first hand info doesn't count

Trader Joe
06-24-2011, 08:17 PM

I love the trade for what it's worth next season, but I'm already considering him good as gone.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Scot Pollard
06-24-2011, 08:17 PM

That's bull.

He's thrilled to be here and really happy to be playing for the team he grew up watching.

I think he's going to be here for a LONG time.

Day-V
06-24-2011, 10:34 PM

Bullsh*t it doesn't count.

bshall
06-24-2011, 10:39 PM

Yeah it was sarcasm. 99% of what is out there says he's happy to play for the Pacers.

Anthem
06-24-2011, 10:48 PM
We could trade Tyler for him...

Hicks
06-24-2011, 10:56 PM

We have the censor for a reason...

Day-V
06-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Yeah it was sarcasm. 99% of what is out there says he's happy to play for the Pacers.

I was confused by the lack of green.

Kemo
06-24-2011, 11:09 PM
He's around 33 and been here for all his life. Got shot in the head by some random drunk guy in Castleton while in his car pretty much ending his MMA career. Now all he can do is teach but still has the love for it. IF you ever want to get back into it he's a guy I would recommend.

Thanks, appreciate it .. Ya I got my senior green belt, almost had my brown , but i had a head injury that kept me from competing in tournaments, so i ended up dropping out... It's crazy how nowadays they just GIVE belts away every 2 months like candy ... Back when I started I was 9 yrs old ....and I went through all my belt colors up to brown in the time i trained.. That is not including the belt tips for each colored belt... Then I went through all my senior belts but fell short of testing for my brown.... Nowadays , the teachers don't make it as hard to earn belts.. Don't get me wrong, some of the old school and oriental masters still do..
I trained with Bud McCorkle , Don Johns, Lowel Stevens , Lowel Slavin , Master Yung Park.

Sorry for being off topic guys.. even though the topic is irrelevant lol

Merz
06-24-2011, 11:57 PM

Why?

Sandman21
06-25-2011, 12:04 AM

The sarcasm detector isn't due to be intregrated into the internet until internet version 7.1. Green text makes life so much easier until then.:laugh:

Unclebuck
06-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Its pretty simple. Haven't you ever been sad to leave your current job, but excited about a new job. that is the way it is with hill. perfectly normal.

Doddage
06-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Can we change the title of the thread already?

IndyHoya
06-25-2011, 09:43 AM
The sarcasm detector isn't due to be intregrated into the internet until internet version 7.1. Green text makes life so much easier until then.:laugh:

Sarcasm? What's that?

Pacergeek
06-25-2011, 11:42 AM
George just Tweeted that we will have a special season. Sounds pretty happy to me.

SMosley21
06-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Good Morning #PacerNation Hope everyone woke up with a smile on their face! We have something special in the making!!!! #Pacers
http://twitter.com/#!/George_Hill3/status/84641352914173952

Clearly just hiding how unhappy he is to be coming home to play in his home state. Sooooo upset!!!

Trophy
06-25-2011, 12:09 PM
This title is 100% the opposite of how he feels.

gummy
06-25-2011, 12:45 PM
This thread title is obviously not accurate given all the other comments we've seen directly from the horse's mouth! Unfortunate.

Day-V
06-25-2011, 01:27 PM
This is the avatar George is rocking on Twitter right now.

http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1412786235/George_Hill3.jpg

I'd say he's pretty happy to be back home.

Heisenberg
06-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Like George MUCH better than our last #3, that's for sure.

Bball
06-25-2011, 05:16 PM
The thread title is both accurate and misleading...

You can be shocked, saddened, and angered that you've been traded from the team you worked hard to make yourself an important part of... and also be happy that if you have been traded it's to a team that you genuinely like, respect, and are honored to be a part of.

Naptown_Seth
06-25-2011, 08:06 PM
I would kill myself with joy, if that's possible.

We could trade Tyler for him...
Everyone take note that I did not say this. I'm trying to take the high road and make room for both.

But can we agree that Blair appears to at least have the better commercial personality between the two. ;)

Coming here, no doubt he is ready to get to work to make the team the best he can. I think both feelings can co-exist.
Innerwebs fail due to "extreme rational thought". Come on QR, these people can't actually see or hear you when you type out something. Don't you get how computers work?

Naptown_Seth
06-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Love it. Haven't had a good ROFLMAO Digest moment in awhile.

BillS
06-26-2011, 02:41 PM

I would kill myself with joy, if that's possible.

The instant he set foot in the Fieldhouse as a Pacer, Blair's knees would explode. Literally. The shrapnel would probably take out both Paul George and George Hill.

Gamble1
06-26-2011, 03:05 PM
The instant he set foot in the Fieldhouse as a Pacer, Blair's knees would explode. Literally. The shrapnel would probably take out both Paul George and George Hill.
Did you forget Bills that you can't explode something that isn't there.

BillS
06-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Did you forget Bills that you can't explode something that isn't there.

He's only missing his ACLs, which are the pieces that keep Pacer knees from exploding.

There is probably a diagnostic code for "Became a Pacer, knees crumbled".

NuffSaid
06-27-2011, 03:25 PM
All I know is George Hill didn't look too happy when he walked through the airport tunnel upon arriving in Indy would be an understatement. Maybe it was jetlag...??? Or maybe he really was taken aback by the Area55 crew greeting him. Hard to say; only he knows for sure.

I understand players don't like being traded especially when they make long-term plans like he and Dejuan Blair apparently had, but it's part of the business of professional sports. Certainly, if the trade caught him off-guard - the owners telling him one thing, but something entirely different happens - all one can do is take time off to push your emotions aside, get your head on straight, and be ready to play ball for your new team come tip-off time.

Welcome to the NBA where very few players get to remain with the team who drafted them their entire career. It's a rarity for sure - moreso now than 20-30 years ago.

That said, I hope is happy to not only be back in his home state, but that he takes a professional's attitude about the trade and just comes in ready to play. I've seen him play since going to the Spurs and I like the lad alot. I think he'll be a fine addition to the team.

Sandman21
06-27-2011, 03:33 PM
RE: The airport thing, I wouldn't be too concerned about that. He had been through at least one flight delay and a layover in Fort Worth, dude was probably just wanting to get home at that point yesterday.

NuffSaid
06-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Sandman21,

I hope you're right.

Sandman21
06-27-2011, 04:19 PM
From what I saw of the presser, I think theres nothing to worry about.

TMJ31
06-27-2011, 04:26 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2011/06/27/GeorgeHillwelcomepressconference-1746606

Presser video Link

graphic-er
06-27-2011, 10:42 PM
RE: The airport thing, I wouldn't be too concerned about that. He had been through at least one flight delay and a layover in Fort Worth, dude was probably just wanting to get home at that point yesterday.

i think this applies to most people at the airport, you typically don't like to hangout or anything after you land. Its always get your stuff and get out of there.

Trophy
06-27-2011, 10:48 PM

Yeah I didn't think anything of it.

I think it was all overwhelming and he didn't expect it.

He's really happy to be home as he was saying in his presser today. He said all the right things and I would never think he wasn't happy to be here.

Dr. Hibbert
06-27-2011, 11:37 PM
I heard he's already requesting a trade to the Nets.

El Pacero
06-28-2011, 12:01 AM
This thread wouldn't be four pages long if the title hadn't been so dramatic.

bphil
06-28-2011, 09:44 AM

Oh please. The thread title was based directly on what was said in the two articles I posted. Both stated bluntly that Hill was not happy about the trade. Don't kill the messenger.

Since86
06-28-2011, 10:48 AM
George tweeted
#quoteoftheday "Home is the most popular, and will be the most enduring of all earthly establishments." I'm Goin Goin Bac Bac To Indy Indy

Follow him Pacernation. @George_Hill3

SMosley21
06-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Luckily, we've got basically 4 pages worth of material showing how G.Hill feels the exact opposite of what the thread title says.

SMosley21
06-28-2011, 10:56 AM
George tweeted
#quoteoftheday "Home is the most popular, and will be the most enduring of all earthly establishments." I'm Goin Goin Bac Bac To Indy Indy
Follow him Pacernation. @George_Hill3

So unhappy!
:rolleyes:

bphil
06-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Luckily, we've got basically 4 pages worth of material showing how G.Hill feels the exact opposite of what the thread title says.

Ha ha, wow. OK, apparently no one even read my actual post, they just read the title and started crying about it.

I'm not the one who said Hill wasn't happy, I was just repeating what two separate articles in the San Antonio Express stated very clearly on the day after the draft. It's not like I want Hill to be pissed off about having to play here, and I'm glad to see that he's being positive about it now.

I know it's the internet people, but at least make somewhat of an attempt to not be completely ridiculous.

flakcatcher
06-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Ha ha, wow. OK, apparently no one even read my actual post, they just read the title and started crying about it.

I'm not the one who said Hill wasn't happy, I was just repeating what two separate articles in the San Antonio Express stated very clearly on the day after the draft. It's not like I want Hill to be pissed off about having to play here, and I'm glad to see that he's being positive about it now.

I know it's the internet people, but at least make somewhat of an attempt to not be completely ridiculous.

I call shenanigans. "Not at all" happy? You're more than just a messenger when you massage the message. That's called editorializing. And in this case, it's also a pretty obvious exaggeration of the facts.

SMosley21
06-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Apparently George isn't too excited about coming back home...

Perhaps he was happy to have escaped Indy and now he's pissed about being forced to come back here...? All this talk about him being a glue guy may turn out to be pretty far off base...

Seems like more than you just being the messenger to me. Awfully suggestive and assumptive there with the whole "happy to have escaped Indy" nonsense.