PDA

View Full Version : Does this make Darren Collison expandable with Josh Smith on the block?

The Future
06-24-2011, 12:21 PM
I would seriously consider trading Darren Collison for Josh Smith right now.

Hill wants to start, Hawks want a PG, we need a PF.

Sign me up, I want Josh Smith on the Pacers!

aaronb
06-24-2011, 12:22 PM

Maybe the Hawks will throw in Horford to sweeten the deal?

xBulletproof
06-24-2011, 12:25 PM
I would consider it, but its gonna take more than that. Could be a start if they like him though.

tinsley#11
06-24-2011, 12:26 PM
I would definitely package DC, Rush, Posey, 2013 1st for Josh Smith. Especially if Lance can bloom into what Bird thinks he can.

The Future
06-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Heck, if we need a backup PG, Flynn is available from the Rockets, he will be very cheap because they only gave up Brad Miller to get him!

I would roll with:

PG: George Hill / Jonny Flynn
SG: Paul George / Lance Stephenson
SF: Danny Granger / Dhantay Jones
PF: Josh Smith / Hansbrough
C: Roy Hibbert / Free Agent

SMosley21
06-24-2011, 12:30 PM
We trade for a player and all of a sudden everyone wants to trade the player in front of him on the depth chart? Typical day at PacersDigest

judicata
06-24-2011, 12:32 PM
I was under the impression that Atlanta wants a center back for Smith.

The Future
06-24-2011, 12:32 PM
We trade for a player and all of a sudden everyone wants to trade the player in front of him on the depth chart? Typical day at PacersDigest
Fits a need, we need a shot blocking/rebounding PF.

Josh Smith would be great.

Flynn is available, and would be a great backup PG.

SMosley21
06-24-2011, 12:36 PM

Not saying I disagree with the premise, just pointing out the typical knee jerk reaction to any trade/signing that has become the norm here.

CooperManning
06-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I'd rather get the best possible PF in a Rush/Price/future first package than trade DC/Rush/future first for Smith, if they'd even take that offer. I'm hesitant to trade DC until we see what he can do in his 3rd season.

PacerPenguins
i just pooped my pants thinking about this..... imagine Hill, George and Smith's defense on our starting lineup...... WOW

Foul on Smits
If we can get josh smith for DC, imagine what we could get for Lance Stephenson. Smith, Jihnson, Horford , couple unprotecteds. Assuming they know what we all know, which is that Lance is going to be an all time great. It's obvious. Im not sure why Larry hasn't gotten on this yet.

SMosley21
06-24-2011, 12:40 PM
i just pooped my pants thinking about this..... imagine Hill, George and Smith's defense on our starting lineup...... WOW

Clean it up!

Foul on Smits
06-24-2011, 12:42 PM
I'd rather get the best possible PF in a Rush/Price/future first package than trade DC/Rush/future first for Smith, if they'd even take that offer. I'm hesitant to trade DC until we see what he can do in his 3rd season.

Yeah. I'm sure our poo poo platter of rush, price and a draft pick will net us a fantastic pf.

Steagles
06-24-2011, 12:42 PM
I'd rather grab Johnny Flynn for Rush and Posey and a future pick. Unload a huge contract and get rid of trouble. The lineup would be:

Collison/Flynn
Hill/Lance/P. George
Danny/P. George/Dahntay
Tyler/JMac
Roy/Foster or FA

Add David Lighty and we could shop Collison or Flynn too. And if JMac leaves we could look at Matt Howard.

PacersRule
06-24-2011, 12:43 PM
I actually like DC more than Hill. I think Pacers' ball movement will struggle if Hill were to start.

naptownmenace
06-24-2011, 12:43 PM
I like J-Smoove but he's a little too mercurial and he likes to jack up ill-advised shots. I also think the Pacers would have to give up Hibbert to get Atlanta to bite on a trade.

I think I'd rather the Pacers wait for Free Agency and see if they can get a player like Al Jefferson, Paul Milsap, or maybe even Andray Blatche in an uneven cap-space trade. They could actually just trade a future 2nd round pick for one of them and wouldn't even need to lose an asset like DC or Hibbert.

They could also just go after Landry or David West and sign them outright.

Foul on Smits
06-24-2011, 12:44 PM
David Lighty? Come on guys.

Lance George
06-24-2011, 12:44 PM
We surely need a PF like Josh Smith more, but I'd throw Iguodala's name out there, too. He and Hill would complement each other perfectly, and they'd be the league's best backcourt, defensively, by a huge margin.

CableKC
06-24-2011, 12:45 PM

Where have you read that Hill wants to start?

Hawks have Jeff Teague who did an admirable job of filling in at the PG spot in the Playoffs.

BTW.....the Hawks aren't going to move Josh Smith to another Eastern Conference Team UNLESS they get a trade offer that totally blows them out of the water.....any deal where DC is the centerpiece of a trade is underwhelming. My guess is that Josh Smith goes West.

CableKC
06-24-2011, 12:46 PM
I'd rather grab Johnny Flynn for Rush and Posey and a future pick. Unload a huge contract and get rid of trouble.
Flynn was traded to the Rockets yesterday night for Brad Miller and a future draft pick.

CooperManning
06-24-2011, 12:46 PM
I'd rather grab Johnny Flynn for Rush and Posey and a future pick. Unload a huge contract and get rid of trouble.

That would be severely overpaying for Jonny Flynn. There's a reason Minnesota gave him away and Houston has put him back on the block.

pizza guy
06-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Any trade in which we send any combination of our point or shooting guards and receive Josh Smith is going to be a good trade for us.

EDIT: And I love DC

BPump33
06-24-2011, 01:06 PM

Be careful not to get any of that on your new jersey. :D

Kstat
06-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Wait, what would Darren Collision have to do with Josh Smith being available?

Oh...it's a trade idea.

Good luck with that one.

crazylikeafox
06-24-2011, 01:10 PM

Can you please show me a link where it says Flynn is available, he just got traded for and Houston is in need of a backup at the point.

BPump33
06-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Can you please show me a link where it says Flynn is available, he just got traded for and Houston is in need of a backup at the point.

I don't have a link, but listening to the draft coverage on the radio last night they said that after acquiring Flynn Houston was letting teams know they were open to trading him.

crazylikeafox
06-24-2011, 01:13 PM
I'd rather grab Johnny Flynn for Rush and Posey and a future pick. Unload a huge contract and get rid of trouble. The lineup would be:

Collison/Flynn
Hill/Lance/P. George
Danny/P. George/Dahntay
Tyler/JMac
Roy/Foster or FA

Add David Lighty and we could shop Collison or Flynn too. And if JMac leaves we could look at Matt Howard.

So glad you are not the GM!

The Future
06-24-2011, 01:19 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
ESPN.com sources: Houston making newly acquired PG Jonny Flynn available to interested teams. Wolves shopped Flynn liberally before draft

They made the trade for Donatas.

They dont need Flynn with Lowry becoming a stud at PG, and they traded for Goran Dragic to be there backup point guard.

Dream scenario - Pacers trade Collison for Josh Smith following up with Brandon Rush for Jonny Flynn

Imagine the defense of this lineup:
Hill / George / Granger / Josh Smith / Hibbert

CableKC
06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Give the guy a break....The Future probably didn't know that Flynn was traded....it wasn't a heavily advertised trade that even happened. I recall that I only heard of it at the end of the Draft coverage...kind of like..."Oh...BTW, just in case anyone cares....the TWolves traded Flynn for Brad Miller and a future pick" response at the end of the draft.

There was some rumbling about how stupid Kahn was for drafting Flynn in the first place then they moved on.

NOTE - this last sentence was in jest..on my part...but seriously....I could easily see JVG mumbling this under his breathe when it was announced...cuz seriously, aren't we all thinking the same?

Tom White
06-24-2011, 01:23 PM

But only when the player people want to acquire has past transgressions or attitude problems. Otherwise, the best outgoing offer is a second-round pick and Fritos.

gummy
06-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Well...DC is too small, so we should definitely look into anything that makes him expandable. ;)

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Any trade in which we send any combination of our point or shooting guards and receive Josh Smith is going to be a good trade for us.

EDIT: And I love DC

If you dont want to see Eric Gordon in a Pacer uniform go after Smith.
We will not be able to afford Smith, Gordon, and the core players.
We need the core players too. Cant win without them.
Just say no to Smith!!!!!

Derek2k3
06-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Whats wrong with Lighty?

I mean, he doesn't fit currently with Rush and others, but he has a lot of potential.

Dude averaged 12 points, is highly regarded as a leader/cool head, shot 47% last season, including 42% from deep.

Gets to the rim at will, is incredibly strong (Defended PF/Centers last season admirably.) and is a great athlete.

Defensively, he is a standout. Had multiple games of 5-6 steals last season, against quality opponents IIRC.

All around is a solid player, could really develop into a strong 7th man.

I'd take him if we end up without Dun, Rush, Posey etc.

He's an improvement over all three of those.

Pacergeek
06-24-2011, 01:39 PM
don't think ATL would want DC. Jeff Teague is about as good as DC. Not really an upgrade.

Kstat
06-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Whats wrong with Lighty?

I mean, he doesn't fit currently with Rush and others, but he has a lot of potential.

He's a 23 year old 5th-year senior. Not sure how much untapped potential he has left.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 01:47 PM
He's a 23 year old 5th-year senior. Not sure how much untapped potential he has left.

I hear what you are saying but I hate the thought that a 23 y/o who has never played in the NBA cannot improve. He is 6'6 and can shoot. Not really a place on this roster for him but I find it hard to believe he cant contribute to some team.

Smits Happens
06-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Well...DC is too small, so we should definitely look into anything that makes him expandable. ;)

Thank you. After I read the headline I couldnt believe it took 32 posts for someone to make this joke.

Kstat
06-24-2011, 01:53 PM
there's a difference between "can improve" and "a lot of potential."

He's a glue guy. Best case, he's Dahntay Jones or Bruce Bowen.

hoopsforlife
06-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Thank you. After I read the headline I couldnt believe it took 32 posts for someone to make this joke.

I was thinking the only one who can make DC expandable is DC. It probably won't happen until he retires and hits 40. :lol:

Daniel33
06-24-2011, 02:53 PM
so people want to have aj price as a backup again. sorry I dont get it.

LetsTalkPacers
06-24-2011, 03:15 PM
I say we resign foster, and mcroberts thenn call it a summer. Unless a deaal comes along that blows us away. Seeeing as Bird is in charge, that's exactly what I expect. As a fan I hate that he's patient sometimes because its boring, but its smart GMing

graphic-er
06-24-2011, 04:18 PM
I could see Smith ending up in LA for Odom and a 1st.

pacer4ever
06-26-2011, 06:07 AM
Heck, if we need a backup PG, Flynn is available from the Rockets, he will be very cheap because they only gave up Brad Miller to get him!

I would roll with:

PG: George Hill / Jonny Flynn
SG: Paul George / Lance Stephenson
SF: Danny Granger / Dhantay Jones
PF: Josh Smith / Hansbrough
C: Roy Hibbert / Free Agent

Twolves also got a future 1st round pick for Flynn from the Huston via the Grizzleys via the Shane Battier trade. It is a 2013 pick i believe.

But Huston only did that deal due to them being over the luxury tax and are supposedly shopping Johnny "the turnover machine" Flynn.

pacer4ever
06-26-2011, 06:09 AM
Give the guy a break....The Future probably didn't know that Flynn was traded....it wasn't a heavily advertised trade that even happened. I recall that I only heard of it at the end of the Draft coverage...kind of like..."Oh...BTW, just in case anyone cares....the TWolves traded Flynn for Brad Miller and a future pick" response at the end of the draft.

There was some rumbling about how stupid Kahn was for drafting Flynn in the first place then they moved on.

NOTE - this last sentence was in jest..on my part...but seriously....I could easily see JVG mumbling this under his breathe when it was announced...cuz seriously, aren't we all thinking the same?

Kahn tells why he traded Flynn here. It is a good reason IMO.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd=1#/podcenter/?id=6701395&autoplay=1&callsign=KSPNAM

PacerDude
06-26-2011, 07:56 AM
I just love all these trade proposals that completely screw the other team. Do people not realize that it takes 2 teams to make a trade ?? DC & scraps for Smith. Really ?? There's only 1 Kahn and he's not in Atlanta.

Anthem
06-26-2011, 08:08 AM
For what it's worth, we heard rumblings earlier this week that Atlanta was trying hard to shed salary. They've got the #7 2010-2011 salary, and it didn't earn them much. They'll be in salary hell for a while.

But it would still be hard to get a deal done.

Pacer!
06-26-2011, 08:34 AM
I could see Smith ending up in LA for Odom and a 1st.

How would people feel about us going after Odom??

I would prefer Smith (largely due to his age and potential), however LO could start at the 4 for us as well as playing some minutes behind Danny at the 3, and would be a fantastic offensive weapon; furthermore if we offered DC (as this thread suggests) in a package for LO, it would be less risky than getting rid of DC for Smith, due to Odom's point forward abilities. Playing as a point forward, LO would take pressure off Hill and whoever else would be left to play point for us, and would lessen the blow of losing our best pure point-guard.

I am by no means sold on LO, just curious on how others would feel about targeting him?

Eindar
06-26-2011, 08:59 AM
I think if you were trying to make a splash, improve defensively, and stay young and athletic, you trade Granger for Smith, and then you try to move DC and a 1st for Igoudala. I think the trades are realistic (although ATL might not want another wing).

Hill
Igoudala
George
Smith
Hibbert

That's a great starting lineup defensively, but perimeter shooting is going to be a problem. Also, I'm against trading DC before we even see how Hill is going to fit into our system. Even if you do trade DC, you then need another backup PG.

Pacer!
06-26-2011, 09:09 AM
I think if you were trying to make a splash, improve defensively, and stay young and athletic, you trade Granger for Smith, and then you try to move DC and a 1st for Igoudala. I think the trades are realistic (although ATL might not want another wing).

Hill
Igoudala
George
Smith
Hibbert

That's a great starting lineup defensively, but perimeter shooting is going to be a problem. Also, I'm against trading DC before we even see how Hill is going to fit into our system. Even if you do trade DC, you then need another backup PG.

There is no need to shake up our young core like that, nor could I see it happening.. I do completely agree with you on your last point though.

Sparhawk
06-26-2011, 10:00 AM
For what it's worth, we heard rumblings earlier this week that Atlanta was trying hard to shed salary. They've got the #7 2010-2011 salary, and it didn't earn them much. They'll be in salary hell for a while.

But it would still be hard to get a deal done.

I still think a deal could be done, but it's gonna require a third team.

Only players on the roster I'd want to trade are Rush, Price, DJones and Posey. It also depends on how desperate Atlanta needs to shed salary. We could get lucky.

Since I live in Atlanta, the Hawks really do need to cut salary and Smith will be traded. Just hope we can put together a better offer than other teams. I think our high character guys could keep Smith in line, but he could prove to be an issue for Vogel.

yoadknux
06-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Smith is being shopped, but not for "not good enough to start for a bad team" Rush/Jones/Posey. They're looking for a center or an equally good starter.
If they trade him to clear salary they will probably include marvin williams in the deal and even then our package won't be enough
Smith is the best fit in the league right now for the Pacers because he can help Granger with scoring, he can help protect the paint, he can rebound. But he fits our current starting 5, and to get him we'll probably need to trade Hibbert, which makes the trade pretty useless

I think DC+Posey for Millsap is a more realistic because Utah has a pretty crowded frontcourt

ensergio
06-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Visit the Hawks message boards. Smith is not a 4, he plays like a 3. That's part of the problem in Atlanta.

Really?
06-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Hibbert/(Joel Prezbilla)
Josh Smith/Hans
Granger/(Al Thornton/Shawne Williams)
George/Brush
Hill/Lance

Wouldn't mind that too much

I wonder how this team would mesh though...

Still would like the combo of

Hibbert/Prezbilla
Kenyon/Tyler
Granger/(whoever we can get for Rush and/or Posey)
George/Lance
DC/George

Strong starting group and strong Bench

yoadknux
06-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Visit the Hawks message boards. Smith is not a 4, he plays like a 3. That's part of the problem in Atlanta.
They wanna trade Smith because of 2 reasons

1. They believe Horford is not a center, and they want him to start and play as PF
2. Smith Shoots too many mid range jumpers

The mid range/3pt shots are the only things that make him "play like a 3", but he's capable of playing both SF and PF

graphic-er
06-26-2011, 03:19 PM
They wanna trade Smith because of 2 reasons

1. They believe Horford is not a center, and they want him to start and play as PF
2. Smith Shoots too many mid range jumpers

The mid range/3pt shots are the only things that make him "play like a 3", but he's capable of playing both SF and PF

People think Danny Granger is a chucker who takes bad shots, but Danny has basically had the green light for 3 years now. He is suppose to take shots. So some bad shots every game is pretty much a given.

If Josh Smith were on this team people would grow tire of him quickly because of his shot selection. He reminds me of Charlie V. on the offensive end.

McKeyFan
06-26-2011, 03:55 PM
I say get Josh Smith.

I'd trade DC and more. I'd even consider trading Roy straight up.

NuffSaid
06-27-2011, 03:51 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Sometimes it seems no matter what TPTB do, you can never please all the fans all the time. :rolleyes:

Hicks
06-27-2011, 04:12 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Sometimes it seems no matter what TPTB do, you can never please all the fans all the time. :rolleyes:

Sometimes would imply that it's ever any different. I would go with "At ALL TIMES" :D

pacergod2
06-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Josh Smith will get traded to the Clippers for Chris Kaman and probably Aminu, if the Clippers end up re-signing Jordan.

I don't see us trading Darren. I don't know that he will end up the starter long-term if Hill really excels at the position. His defense is so important down the stretch of games, that I could see him taking the reigns of finishing out games. Darren will be a great change of pace PG no matter if he starts or not. Either way, DC won't be traded. Hill makes so much more sense with Collison than it does for us to go out and overpay for an upgrade to either.