PDA

View Full Version : The new look of the conference.

DGPR
06-24-2011, 09:07 AM
So we've talked about what we think George Hill can do to help our Pacers, but what about the rest of the conference.

Charlotte all of the sudden made off with Kemba, Bismack, and Corey Maggette all in one night.
Milwaukee got bent over and received Stephen Jackson, Livingston, Udrih, and drafted Tobias Harris
The Celtics picked up 2 Purdue players in one night, I'm still not sure what to think of this.
The Pistons snatched up Brandon Knight and then took Kyle Singler later (good for them).
The Raptors get Jonas, so you can imagine their awesome defensive frontcourt.
Washington is the team I believe that made off like bandits getting Vasely and then Singleton. Should make John Wall's job a little bit easier. Plus Vasely has a hot girlfriend so bonus points for that.
Knicks get a little help for Melo and STAT with Shumpert, but Melo was calling for the Knicks to draft Josh Selby and when he fell into the late 2nd round you have to believe he could have been theirs. How do you think Melo feels about this?
New Jersey picked up the coveted Marshon Brooks and Jordan Williams.
We all know who Cleveland picked, and the rest of the teams that I haven't listed got pretty much what was left which wasn't much.

So did the East get stronger or weaker? Cleveland isn't going to be good for a few years, and the only teams that I can see that clearly upgraded are Washington and Charlotte. Your thoughts?

Ozwalt72
06-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Charlotte going from Jackson to Maggette isn't an improvement. And I'm confident that they won't have enough scoring to be a serious playoff team. Biyombo has to pan out, and Walker has to be better than Augustine (which I think he is). So they're improved but I don't think they have a clear path to being better than us yet.

Milwaulkee, they have the same urgency they did last summer when they signed two players to ridiculous deals. Got better next season, but I don't think they'll be better than us.

Doesn't matter what Melo thinks, something like that isn't a big enough issue. Shumpert is interesting though, because the knock on Georgia Tech the last few years was that they had TERRIBLE guards.

Detroit is still a year or two away, but in my opinion has drafted well the last couple of years.

New Jersey, Cleveland, they're not competing for a playoff spot next year unless they somehow struck gold. Cleveland will be a year or two away, at least. New Jersey depends on 2012 Free agency.

I think we're clearly in the top 8 in teh conference right now.

Ozwalt72
06-24-2011, 09:17 AM
But overall, it's more the east got better...down the road.

DGPR
06-24-2011, 01:25 PM
I just don't know if Milwaukee improved, it feels like a lateral move at best. Plus I don't know if there is enough ball to go around between Jackson and Jennings.

CooperManning
06-24-2011, 01:39 PM
I think Bobcats are trying to get Harrison Barnes. Biyombo won't amount to much year one. Raptors should be pretty terrible next year too, with Jonas likely staying overseas. I think the Bucks improved, but not by much. They'll need a healthy season from Bogut and a better FG% from Jennings if they want to compete with us. I like the Pistons' no-brainer Brandon Knight pick, two years in a row they've gotten nice value. They're a couple years away, but will be back soon. Luckily they're paying $60 mil to Rip, Ben Gordon, and Charlie V over the next two seasons. Washington did do really well, I like all the guys they took. I wish they were in the West so I could properly root for them.

Kstat
06-24-2011, 01:44 PM
The big contracts don't bother me. We aren't going anywhere next season anyway, and they become expiring deals after that.

Ditto Knight and Monroe the last two years at #7 and #8. Glad to see Dumars simplified things and just went with the best player on the board regardless of position.

Charlotte, Cleveland, Toronto and Detroit all made decisions meant to be better long-term. None of them were win-now moves.