PDA

View Full Version : Who's the 2nd best Pacer next year?

CooperManning
06-24-2011, 04:20 AM
Who do you think will be the second best/most important Pacer next year (2011-2012 season)? If you select Danny Granger, explain who you think will be first.

TheRifleman51
06-24-2011, 04:25 AM
It has to be Roy if he can continue to grow not only as a Shot blocker but on the offensive end we will be a hell of a team as Roy goes we go.

pacer4ever
06-24-2011, 04:41 AM
Lance is first right? :lol:

Eleazar
06-24-2011, 04:48 AM
It is either really good or really bad that I can't identify the second best player. Personally I am leaning towards really good.

ilive4sports
06-24-2011, 06:47 AM
It is either really good or really bad that I can't identify the second best player. Personally I am leaning towards really good.

I think its because it depends on the development of our players. I think it will be Hibbert. He really needs to assert himself this upcoming season. I expect him to be like November Roy for the whole season and if he is that will be a very good thing.

Although, with how much hard work Paul George puts in, I wouldn't be terrible surprised if he emerged to be our 2nd best guy next season. Especially if Roy doesn't improve as much as I hope. But I don't think that will happen and I'm not sure if PG will make that step.

croz24
06-24-2011, 06:50 AM
hibbert is clearly our most important player. not sure how anybody could have watched this past season and think differently. when he was playing well, the pacers were competing and defeating the best in the league. when hibbert was struggling, the pacers began to struggle. thus, granger will likely be our 2nd most important player next season if he isn't traded for a utah big.

poll question should be cleared up. best player and most important player are two entirely separate questions.

granger33
06-24-2011, 06:53 AM
hibbert is clearly our most important player. not sure how anybody could have watched this past season and think differently. when he was playing well, the pacers were competing and defeating the best in the league. when hibbert was struggling, the pacers began to struggle. thus, granger will likely be our 2nd most important player next season if he isn't traded for a utah big.

poll question should be cleared up. best player and most important player are two entirely separate questions.

The same can be said about Granger. When he shoots a high % we are a much higher chance to win. I can't remember the exact numbers, but when he shoots over 40% we usually win.

croz24
06-24-2011, 07:16 AM
interesting that over the last 4 years, the pacers are 19-21 without danny in the lineup. not saying that means anything...

MrHale
06-24-2011, 08:35 AM
well since lance stephenson is our best player ill go with granger

Sparhawk
06-24-2011, 08:43 AM
PG will continue to emerge, and although I did choose PG, it will only be towards the end of the year. Hibbert and Granger will be the focal points early, so PG will continue to need to focus on defense.

Lance will have a better year than PG did last year. You heard it here first. If Lance plays at least 15-20 minutes a night, I think he'll average around 10pts, 3 assists, 2 boards, .5 steal.

Ownagedood
06-24-2011, 09:51 AM
I think DG33 will slightly be the best because of his experience, but then PG, closely follwed by Hibbert and then Hill imo.

Im getting really excited about this team and we haven't even hit Free Agency.

Hill and PG are both great defenders. Put Hill on our team instead of Price... We probably win that Bulls series.

yoadknux
06-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Paul Millsap

Kid Minneapolis
06-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Hmmm.... man this could go so many ways....

If Roy the Beast shows up consistently, then he's the one. But that's a BIG if...

Paul's improvement could make things interesting.

And don't count out Hansbrough! This will be his first summer to focus on basketball and figure out what he needs to work on, I think this will be a telling year for Psycho-T. He could emerge as #2.

Collison and Hill are much of the same, to me. They both come from similar situations --- played behind star PGs who got injured and they stepped up and filled in admirably, get traded to the Pacers and likely not live up to expectations, lol.... I hate to be pessimistic, but I just see so many similarities between the two. They even have similar stats. I'd go on record as saying that Hill is Collison-lite right now. Maybe a lil' better defender. I still think Collison is our best PG now and in the future... Hill is a nice backup for sure. I don't see either one becoming #2 on the team.

-------

I'm gonna go with Hansbrough. He plays the way I like. He's a leader. He sets the tone for this team. I still feel like our playoff "push" last year was almost entirely sparked and maintained by Hansbrough (and Vogel). I think he's going to get things figured out and become a very reliable #2 for us this next year. Hibbert will frustrate me with inconsistency, and I think we're still a year too early for Paul George, although he will improve this year. I see him become a factor in the following 1-2 years.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Paul Millsap

I was thinking Beasley

DGPR
06-24-2011, 10:38 AM
interesting that over the last 4 years, the pacers are 19-21 without danny in the lineup. not saying that means anything...

Your feelings on Danny have been made abundant.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Your feelings on Danny have been made abundant.

If the Pacers are almost .500 with or without DG, then he cannot be the most important player. Maybe the best, but not most important. Hibbert is by far the most important. If he improves again next year, things are really looking up for the Pacers!!!!

asmithxc
06-24-2011, 10:50 AM
I voted Hill. I think he will make a solid impact -- he's kind of a "safe" pick in my mind.

I hope it is Roy, but I just don't know what he will do.

I don't quite think PG will be the second best player yet next year, but he could be.

Really?
06-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Has to be Roy... I will say he has to be our 2nd best player because being 1st might be too much pressure on him....

He will be the key big guy and will have to take a dominate approach to his game... we really don't have many bigs so his play will be super important down low. He will have to make sure to stay out of foul trouble and be effective when he is in foul trouble.

I have seen George play for years, BR, IUPUI, and Spurs... I think he will take over the PG position and the offense will run through him, I like him at the 1 better than DC, he is a playmaker and knows how to get people involved. I am not worried about his assist as much as most, he is a natural leader and has tons of experience.

Wouldn't be surprised if he became our 3rd most important player.

as far as importance for next year I am going:

Granger>Hibbert>G.Hill>Tyler>DC>George

PaceBalls
06-24-2011, 11:36 AM
PG, defense and his offensive game will be that much better.

I am intrigued by a George and George backcourt.

PacerPenguins
06-24-2011, 11:37 AM
:cry: i cant wait another 3 1/2 months

brewpopps
06-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Huh?:confused:

Brad8888
06-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Interesting, yet very difficult, question(s) to answer. Here is my rambling attempt...

Based on who the Pacers currently have, it is tough to tell, though the team leader needs to be Hansbrough. He leads by example, and embodies "smashmouth" basketball. Therefore, to me, he is the most important player, though not the best (most talented), who I would currently designate Granger as despite the accolades being given to Lance NYC-Legend-in-his-own-mind Stephenson by Larry Legend.

To answer the question of who is the second best / most important player based on who is currently on the roster, again the two designations lead to different conclusions for me.

The second most important player is Roy Hibbert. He can control the emotional aspects of the team with his infectious enthusiasm, but he can also sap the team's energy at times if he is being hard on himself when the opposition frustrates him with physical play.

The second best player on the team in talent terms is even more difficult to define. Is that current talent or potential? Is the ability to recognize what is actually happening on the floor and reacting correctly more often than not while still having a diverse skillset the determining factor? My gut tells me that Paul George should be the answer to this question, but reluctantly so. I suspect that either Hansbrough or McRoberts should be in this conversation (McRoberts was hampered greatly against the Bulls with nagging injuries but chose not to use that as an excuse for his relatively poor performance), and that arguments could be made for Collison and possibly Hibbert as well. So, I guess I will choose Paul George as the second most talented player.

For the future, whenever and wherever the next season begins, I don't think it is possible to make a determination of what the makeup of the roster will be, let alone where players on that roster would rank. Other than the most desirable player for the future of the franchise Paul George (PG or George are no longer clear enough to be sure who is being referred to IMO) and the likely untradeable Lance (not due to his "mad skillz"), it is truly difficult to determine with certainty who will remain with the franchise. All of the rest of the players are tradeable (Dahntay even getting more tradeable with his contract length getting shorter) and for the most part have enough desirability that they could either be good trade pieces of their own accord or at least decent sweeteners in various combinations depending on the needs of whatever trading partners happen to be.

But, at least the Pacers have all of the resources needed to become a franchise that is both competitive and desirable in nearly any eventual future after the CBA / lockout is settled, and whose speculative value to potential buyers is nearing a high due to its potential, whether any prospective buyers would keep the franchise here or choose to pay the penalties required to move it to any number of locations, whether it be Anaheim or Sacramento, Newark (already has indicated it wants a replacement for the Nets), Kansas City, etc.

Goooooooo Pacers!!!!!!!!! But, please don't go, Pacers...

Rogco
06-24-2011, 01:31 PM
I was really torn between Hibbert and Tyler. Both have the potential to really improve over this off-season and the change of coaches, both can have a big positive impact on the play on the court and the chemistry of the team...

I went with Hans in large part because he's only played one season, and I think this offseason is a big turning point for him. He's got a coach (assuming Vogel) that he'll run through a wall for, and a motor and drive to add offensive moves and defense. Hans actually added moves during the season last year when practice time is limited, so I think therefore he has the most potential to become an essential cog.

Paul has the most ability to improve and could be huge for us, even starting next year, but I don't think the pressure is on him as much to be a leader.

JEM
06-24-2011, 01:42 PM
I went with Hansbrough.. If he can improve just his consistency then he makes the Pacers really tough to play.

Ozwalt72
06-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Hill might be our second best player -right now-

Most important is probably Paul George and Hibbert, with a lean toward the big guy.

LeeTheG7
06-25-2011, 06:16 AM
I voted Granger because I think Paul George becomes Indiana's best player.

Pacer!
06-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Roy Hibbert, simply because of our lack of depth in the middle, and Foster's age/fragility... I love PG, but his defense isn't so vital now with Hill around, especially if Dahntay stays on... and despite those who believe he is ready to take over Granger as 'the man' on offense, he definitely isn't a go-to guy on offense YET.

crunk-juice
06-25-2011, 07:06 AM
cant answer this poll.

BlueNGold
06-25-2011, 12:36 PM
This is a key year for Hibbert. If he improves a decent amount, he will probably be the Pacer C for a very long time and we may see them bring in a different, more defensive minded PF. If he languishes, there will be a big push to replace him and find a player to set beside Hans.

Pacersalltheway10
06-25-2011, 01:05 PM
My inside sources say it will be.... Lance Stephenson.

BringJackBack
06-25-2011, 01:37 PM
I think that there are some guys on the team that will suprise some people next year, and there are some people that may disappoint due to expecations:

Paul George- I think he'll have some huge games, and he'll get better on defense and three point shooting, but he is only 21 and his inconsistency will still be a factor here. I don't think he'll be our second best player next year. His offense will really begin to come together in the 2013 season, I think.

Darren Collison- I think he'll definitely surprise this season. His problem last year is that he would disappear and his inconsistency was a *****. This is his first year with a coach all year, and with a simple system like Vogel's I think he'll have an easier time this year. I don't think he'll be our second best player, but I think he'll be our second best scorer as long as he gets the minutes.

George Hill- He has all of the intangibles and he will be our scorer/defender sixth man, but I don't know if he'll get the minutes to be our second best player. But I do think that he will have a breakout season.

Roy Hibbert- I think that if he gets his field goal percentage above 50%, he doesn't get humiliated by Satan O'Brien causing him to average 8 points in Jan-Feb, and he continues to improve he'll be our second best player next season. Maybe not in the scoring numbers (Even though I think he'll be able to average around 16 points on above 50% shooting) but his rebounding, shot blocking, passing, and leadership will begin to show. I honestly think that Roy is going to be a stronger character next season with consistency from the coach, and most importantly, himself.

xIndyFan
06-25-2011, 06:09 PM
i voted for paul george, but i hope it is danny granger. :cool:

Naptown_Seth
06-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Paul George will be #1. Granger will be #2, though if Roy could show consistency he could take that spot. I don't think he will unfortunately even though I really love the guy.

Hill seems certain to be the #4 guy in the list.

Gotta say though, we should be enjoying more of that balance that made the Vogel run so fun to watch. Top end we don't dominate, but 1-12 we've got guys that can get things done for you on any given night.

imbtyler
06-25-2011, 08:28 PM
George Hill will be the most important Indiana Pacer in the 2011-12 season.

Besides being able to score very well, very easily, and in the clutch, Hill is a playmaker, and can get his teammates involved. Yes, he's going to provide his own amount of scoring, but when he was with the Spurs, he had some better players to pass to. Those who think he's more of a scoring combo guard perhaps don't realize that he has very good court vision. He can attract the double team, then pass to the open player (probably George, Granger, Hansbrough, or Hibbert), allowing them to score easily.

Adding Hill could allow the offense to flow more openly, allowing an evenly-scoring team, which will work well for Paul George, who is bound to start scoring better in his sophomore year. In addition to his offensive abilities, Hill is also a great defender, and has veteran leadership qualities and experience in the Playoffs. Of course, he spent three years playing on one of the best Playoff teams in the last decade (though not necessarily in the last three years).

Even if we add a strong, scoring big man, Hill can make him more available to score, solidifying Hill's importance on the team.

Major Cold
06-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Until we get a starting PF, Roy is vital to this team. Almost as important as Danny.

judicata
06-26-2011, 04:07 AM
Hibbert should be with out a doubt, but he should have been last season and really underwhelmed. George has the most talent, and with work he will really shine. Hill is right there with him in my mind.

Darren and Tyler are two guys that have promise but legitimate and worrisome handicaps. I think Darren will feel the heat, learn from Hill, and become the player we want. I think Tyler will struggle at times and amaze at times, just like this year. If we get him to the bench, I think he will make teams cry.

OakMoses
06-26-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm planning on expanding on my reasoning in another, much longer post over the next couple of days, but I'll give the short version of it here since this is the thread that sparked my thinking.

"Best" and "Most Important" are two vastly different questions. If you're going "best" it's Granger and then everybody else. "Most Important" is a much more interesting question.

I think that our most important player next season will be Roy Hibbert, just like he was this season. Like croz said, when Hibbert played well, we were a good team. When he didn't, we weren't.

Our 2nd most important player for next year will be which ever of these guys takes the biggest step forward: Collison, Hill, George, Hansbrough. They all have the potential to be very effective players. Whichever one steps forward will become our 2nd most important player.

I'm not trying to downgrade Granger's importance, as I said above, he's clearly our best player. However, I just don't think that his performance dictates the team's performance as much as other players. This is mainly because the points Danny gets can easily be picked up by other players. There are plenty of other guys on the team who can do the things he does, though none of them do them all as well. Whereas if you look at Hibbert, he is the only low-post scorer on the roster. If we don't get those points from Roy, we don't get them from anywhere.

ChristianDudley
06-26-2011, 04:19 PM
I'd say these are the ones to choose from, excluding all free-agents as we don't really know what all will happen with any of them:

Granger
Hibbert
Paul George
Darren Collison
George Hill
maybe Tyler Hansbrough

I'd just go ahead and assume of Granger being our top, #1, player for next season--at least that is what should happen whether or not it actually does. I'd say that for right now, Roy Hibbert NEEDS to be our next top guy without a doubt. Paul will only be in his 2nd season, plus DC is just now feeling out our new system that we're trying to get to mesh with him so that he is as comfortable as possible in running our offense. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see George Hill flourish in our system and become a big star for us real soon, too. I love this young core that we have right now. I'd also like to see Tyler get those 20 and 10 games more and more frequently next season as well as keep up the bruising on the opponents!! I'm very excited for next season to start (darn you lockout!!!!).