PDA

View Full Version : Undrafted FA's?

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Who do you guys think the Pacers will go after? I am going to go ahead and say it first: Matt Howard will be "invited" to camp. Not saying he makes the team, just gets an invitation. Who else is out there?

Grangerous
06-24-2011, 12:38 AM
ben hansbrough?

Dr. house
06-24-2011, 12:39 AM
DAVID LIGHTY

Pacersalltheway10
06-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Greg smith, Justin Holiday

CooperManning
06-24-2011, 12:42 AM
Lighty would be a nice pickup if Rush gets traded.

joew8302
06-24-2011, 12:50 AM
Lighty would be a Dhantay Jones 2.0. I think he will latch on somewhere in the NBA.

PaceBalls
06-24-2011, 12:52 AM
I think that Championship game really hurt Matt's value. It almost would have been better for him if they had lost in the final four. He got exposed pretty bad in that game.

I'd love to see Ben in the Pacer camp. Watching the Hansbrough brothers rough everyone up would be great to see.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Why wasnt Lighty drafted? He is listed as a 6'6 sg. Thats good size and he can shoot. Didnt see enough OSU games to judge him.

PR07
06-24-2011, 12:54 AM
I think anyone of the 3 of Hansbrough, Howard, or Lighty would be good additions.

pacer4ever
06-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Greg Smith! and Lighty dont want Little Hans.

Ratking
06-24-2011, 01:14 AM
I like Rick Jackson from Syracuse. good post skills and good weight. could be better bench fodder than Solo.

Dr. house
06-24-2011, 01:15 AM
will someone explain why ben hans is talked up around here? Lighty and Howard would be outstanding pick ups but i Believe David Lighty will end up with the cavs

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Greg Smith! and Lighty dont want Little Hans.

We really dont need any more pg's.
Greg Smith - 11pts 8rb 1 blk per game.
6'10 260

Could be interesting

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 01:16 AM
will someone explain why ben hans is talked up around here? Lighty and Howard would be outstanding pick ups but i Believe David Lighty will end up with the cavs

IDK now that we made the trade for Hill. He has no place on this roster since we have 15 pgs.

Isaac
06-24-2011, 01:20 AM
Evan Turner was one of my good friends growing up so I was around the Ohio State team a lot the previous 3 years...

David Lighty is a great guy, a hard worker, refused illegal benefits from OSU and is an overall great guy but ... he will never survive in the NBA. He'll have a fine european career.

Isaac
06-24-2011, 01:24 AM
IDK now that we made the trade for Hill. He has no place on this roster since we have 15 pgs.

D Light is a SG/SF. Definitely not a point.

jeffg-body
06-24-2011, 01:26 AM
It all depends on what players we have at the time of camp starting. I would consider Howard and Lighty and see how they fare against NBA players. I'd rather have Howard riding the pine than solo.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 01:30 AM
D Light is a SG/SF. Definitely not a point.

REad the quote I was responding to = Ben Hans not Lighty. I wouldnt mind Lighty at all!

pacer4ever
06-24-2011, 01:34 AM
Jereme Richmond also he should of stayed in college but he can defend I love defense lol

Lance George
06-24-2011, 01:36 AM
Wow... I forgot all about Rick Jackson. There was a time when people were seriously discussing us taking him in the first round, and here he is undrafted.

I almost feel sorry for the guy...

http://twitter.com/#!/23jack

Rick jackson
@23Jack Phila or The Cuse
getting ready for that DRAFT!

23Jack Rick jackson
Just woke up, this day is finally here! Everything I worked for in my life comes down to one day! Let's get it

23Jack Rick jackson
Call my name! Lol
6 hours ago

23Jack Rick jackson
Wow! This is crazy
4 hours ago

23Jack Rick jackson
Damn it gotta be room in the league for me! Smh
3 hours ago

Anyways, 6'9"-6'10", 246 lb. and the top rebounder (10.3) and shot blocker (2.5) in the Big East last season, all while shooting .588 from the field. He's the type of rugged big man we've been looking for. Picking him up would make up for losing #42, imo.

CableKC
06-24-2011, 03:54 AM
Anyways, 6'9"-6'10", 246 lb. and the top rebounder (10.3) and shot blocker (2.5) in the Big East last season, all while shooting .588 from the field. He's the type of rugged big man we've been looking for. Picking him up would make up for losing #42, imo.
He's a solid defender and one of the few Players to rank in the top 10 in both Rebounds and Shotblocking. I would be fine with inviting him to Summer League or the equivalent to work him out to see if he can fill our need for a 5th Big Man.

wintermute
06-24-2011, 04:38 AM
Yeah I hope we get a few bigs in camp. Greg Smith, Rick Jackson. A darkhorse for me is Michael Dunigan. We've had all 3 in for workouts.

PacerGuy
06-24-2011, 09:43 AM
"Must Get's"
-Rick Jackson - defense & rebounding
-Greg Smith - rebounding, upside
-David Lighty - shooter

"Camp Filler"
-Ben Hansbrough - w/ Hill we are set @ PG
-Matt Howard - I want to want him, I just don't

D-BONE
06-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Bring in as many big, athletic guys as you can find. Hopefully one of them impresses enough to stick and becomes a diamond in the rough.

Ownagedood
06-24-2011, 10:01 AM
If we could bring in Lighty and Howard that would be good. Howard probably isn't good enough to make a difference, but hes a playmaker and its a position of need.

Also, Lighty is relatively a position of need (if we trade rush especially) and has a solid skills set.

asmithxc
06-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Lighty and Rick Jackson.

Diebler was my sleeper undrafted FA, but he got drafted. So there goes that idea.

Really?
06-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Question, if a international player puts his name in the draft and doesn't get picked does he just turn into a undrafted free agent as well, or can he resubmit his name for the draft next year?

Giorgi Shermadini would be my guy to target if that is the case...

naptownmenace
06-24-2011, 12:26 PM
List of notable undrafted players:

Rick Jackson
Matt Howard
Jamie Skeen
Scotty Hopson
Jacob Pullen
Greedy Peterson
Diante Garrett
David Lighty
Demetri McCamey
Ben Hansbrough
Michael Dunigan
Malcolm Thomas
Mickey McConnell
Kevin Anderson

I'm really surprised that Scotty Hopson, Greg Smith, Jamie Skeen, and Ben Hansbrough didn't get drafted. Those were the 4 guys that were projected to go in the 2nd round. Everyone else really isn't a surprise to me.

Tons of European/International unknowns were drafted in the 2nd round. I guess teams went totally with potential and upside in the 2nd round over guys that were good in college. That has to be the biggest surprise in the draft.

Steagles
06-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Trade Rush and sign equally good DAVID LIGHTY!

BillS
06-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Bring in Ben and Matt for training camp, sell tickets to an open scrimmage.

Brad8888
06-24-2011, 01:29 PM
The "misunderstood" and "newly mature" Bonzi Wells :laugh:

or, since we need someone to complement and mentor Lance in how to play the point Allen Iverson :laugh:

or maybe give a second look to

Jamaal Tinsley, who actually IS the best player from NYC in his own mind :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

In all seriousness, the sentimentalist pick of Matt Howard is probably the best choice to invite to camp, and he pretty much would make a good 15th man on an NBA roster to provide a practice player who would be able to learn how to help emulate the plays of opposing teams and also provide meaningful challenge to the remainder of the roster.

Rogco
06-24-2011, 01:32 PM
If we could bring in Lighty and Howard that would be good. Howard probably isn't good enough to make a difference, but hes a playmaker and its a position of need.

Also, Lighty is relatively a position of need (if we trade rush especially) and has a solid skills set.

Love to get these two in. Also Ben. but I don't think he comes here unless we trade a pg.

RWB
06-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Bring in Ben and Matt for training camp, sell tickets to an open scrimmage.

Can't remember if they charged but I do remember going to an open scrimmage the year Damon Bailey was a rook. Main reason I remember it was Bailey, Leary, and Graham were on a state tour signing autographs for money and when Larry Brown found out about it he put a stop quick to Bailey's participation.

Major Cold
06-24-2011, 01:42 PM
I really like Michael Dunigan. Bring him on.

dal9
06-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Dwight Hardy was candidate for Big East POY...often carried SJU ...did he have some bad injury at end of the year or was that someone else?

Justin Tyme
06-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Question, if a international player puts his name in the draft and doesn't get picked does he just turn into a undrafted free agent as well, or can he resubmit his name for the draft next year?

Giorgi Shermadini would be my guy to target if that is the case...

If a player doesn't get drafted he's a FA. I don't see where it makes a difference if it's a Euro.

Remember about 3 years ago Zeke signed this player from the U of KY (Morris?) that had gone undrafted.

pacer4ever
06-25-2011, 04:56 AM
Here is some Greg Smith film there is a few more games on there

http://espn.go.com/espn3/player?id=145946&league=NCAAM

http://espn.go.com/espn3/player?id=118671&league=NCAAM

dal9
06-26-2011, 01:54 PM
http://projectspurs.com/2011-articles/june/syracuses-rick-jackson-says-no-to-spurs.html
http://www.dailyorange.com/sports/mbb-after-going-undrafted-former-su-forward-jackson-looks-to-start-pro-career-overseas-1.2417567
rick jackson plans to go overseas; pissed at NBA teams for not drafting him

imbtyler
06-26-2011, 02:01 PM
I'd love to see Ben in the Pacer camp. Watching the Hansbrough brothers rough everyone up would be great to see.

:vaderno:

Young
06-26-2011, 02:16 PM
I would have been happy if one of these guys was drafted by the Pacers had they kept their pick in the second round.

Bringing in a couple to training camp wouldn't hurt. Maybe keep one of the bigs on as a project and see if they stick. I'd rather try and surround this team with veterans even if they are just 3rd string quality.

Sparhawk
06-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Too bad about Rick Jackson. Wouldn't have minded bringing him in for a look along with Greg Smith.

RWB
06-27-2011, 01:00 PM
http://projectspurs.com/2011-articles/june/syracuses-rick-jackson-says-no-to-spurs.html
http://www.dailyorange.com/sports/mbb-after-going-undrafted-former-su-forward-jackson-looks-to-start-pro-career-overseas-1.2417567
rick jackson plans to go overseas; pissed at NBA teams for not drafting him

Seems to be a trend as Ben Hansbrough has signed with a German team.

Reginald
06-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Who do you guys think the Pacers will go after? I am going to go ahead and say it first: Matt Howard will be "invited" to camp. Not saying he makes the team, just gets an invitation. Who else is out there?

And I'll say this first: we're not going to have a camp because of the lockout.

Expect to see Howard in Europe next season. He already has offers from Belgium (Charleroi or Liege) and from Italy (Biella).

Dgreenwell3
06-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Jamie skeen please. Above average athlete, solid shooter and can play down low...very suprised he didn't go.

Really?
06-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Jamie skeen please. Above average athlete, solid shooter and can play down low...very suprised he didn't go.

Was he a Sr by the way? I think he will definitely get looks...

Kraut N Beer
06-27-2011, 03:29 PM
I hope we get on the phone ASAP and try to get Rick Jackson here. We can tell him we had to give up that second round pick and that the Spurs wasted it by not picking him.:D

And invite Jamie Skeen.

One or both of those guys could definitely stick on a 15 man roster with only Hibbert and Hans currently signed as C and PF.

Of sourse, this is all probably moot with the lockout anyway.

QuickRelease
06-27-2011, 04:21 PM
I hope we get on the phone ASAP and try to get Rick Jackson here. We can tell him we had to give up that second round pick and that the Spurs wasted it by not picking him.:D

And invite Jamie Skeen.

One or both of those guys could definitely stick on a 15 man roster with only Hibbert and Hans currently signed as C and PF.

Of sourse, this is all probably moot with the lockout anyway.We don't owe Rick Jackson an explanation because he went undrafted. A tryout offer would be plenty gracious enough.

Dgreenwell3
06-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Was he a Sr by the way? I think he will definitely get looks...

Guessing here but I am pretty sure he was a jr

dal9
06-27-2011, 08:09 PM
There's a Thorpe insider article on best UDFA if someone is nice enough to post it.