PDA

View Full Version : Will we re-sign McRoberts?

CooperManning
06-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Coming out of the draft with no bigs, how likely is it that Josh will be back?

maragin
06-24-2011, 12:15 AM
I'd love to have McRoberts back on the team. That said, I don't know that we're done wheelin' and dealin'.

Will Galen
06-24-2011, 12:15 AM
I believe the Pacers will try to re-sign both Mac and Foster.

ilive4sports
06-24-2011, 12:16 AM
I don't think so. I think we have our eyes on a starting PF and will move Tyler to the bench. And Josh isn't really a center so...

vnzla81
06-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Not for MLE and I'm pretty sure that is not going to happen for 6mil a year either.

Pacersalltheway10
06-24-2011, 12:25 AM
Hopefully we get Nene and/or Marc Gasol.

Make a large contract (Close to max)offer to Gasol for just 1 year. If the Grizzlies don't match, we have a great center duo. While still keeping cap space saved for 2012 just in case. If they don't Gasol will be unrestricted in 2012.

Strummer
06-24-2011, 12:25 AM
I think with the new CBA other teams won't have a lot of money available to steal him away from us. So unless we fall in love with another free agent PF/C then I think we'll sign him for a short term deal.

And I'm expecting the MLE type exceptions to drop in value. So it won't be so painful for us to match.

Pacersalltheway10
06-24-2011, 12:26 AM
QUESTION: Do players have to accept a qualifying offer first?

Pacerized
06-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Hopefully we get Nene and/or Marc Gasol.

Make a large contract (Close to max)offer to Gasol for just 1 year. If the Grizzlies don't match, we have a great center duo. While still keeping cap space saved for 2012 just in case. If they don't Gasol will be unrestricted in 2012.

I agree with you target players 100% but I think we'll have to offer at least a 4 year deal or at least the longest deal allowed in the new cba. The Nuggets are in great cap shape and can pay Nene whatever they want, so he'd have to prefer it here.
Memphis is in cap hell and most likely won't be able to keep Gasol if there's a hard cap. They key is that we have to offer a contract that goes into the 1st. year of the hard cap being implemented. If there's a 3 year grace period we have to offer Gasol a 4 year contract. Memphis has about 45 mil tied up in 3 players 3 years from now. Add a high salary for Gasol into the mix and they're up to 60 mil on 4 players. If you throw a 4 yr. deal at Gasol I think they'd let him walk.

BringJackBack
06-24-2011, 12:36 AM
The only way I think he is re-signed is if he takes a very small contract because he loves playing for us.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 12:38 AM
If we are going to make a big offer to an UFA - how about DeAndre Jordan? He is more of a defensive/shot blocker than Gasol!

Constellations
06-24-2011, 12:41 AM
J-Mart son.

JEM
06-24-2011, 12:59 AM
I voted " he's gone " for the reason that I think he will not play for the Pacers next season whether its not being signed or being signed and traded.

jeffg-body
06-24-2011, 01:09 AM
If we can get Mcbob on a price friendly contract I like to see him stay. If any we should not consider would be solo and I would like to get Rolle in here again and find a roster spot for him. If we could get out 2 guard scorer and part of it requires a Mcbob S&T you do it a second.

Hoop
06-24-2011, 01:47 AM
I hope he's back, haven't a clue what will happen.

I don't have a problem with the Hans and McBob PF duo. Inless we can land a real stud PF through free agency or a trade without giving up much. I'm fine with the team pretty much as it is for this coming season.

Midcoasted
06-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Unless some team throws big money at him, he will probably get a 3-4 million a year contract? Living in Indianapolis, that is almost equal to if NYC or LA offered him 8 million. I just don't see how he's not back with us. You can never have too many bigs. He's worth the gamble because he just came off of his first full year in the rotation, where he showed an occasional glimpse of dominance, and he is still only going to be 24.

I would be worried if we didn't re-sign him. I feel like it would be cutting him short. He's came a long way from people saying he would never be able to play in the NBA. He definitely proved that he can play center situationally and excel when the other teams try to go small. Yea we need a physical presence in the post, but lets not forget our guys are still progressing. We may only need to find Foster's replacement.

My point is the PF has changed in the NBA. It is smaller, quicker. Almost like my worst nightmares from JOB. lol.

My point is maybe we don't need to add anybody at all. Maybe the bigs we have now just have to keep progressing. I think all we need is Foster's eventual replacement. I'm not ready to sell off Hansbrough's starting spot yet. I've learned people here will sell him short, but I think he has earned his starting spot. He too has went from questions about if he would ever even play in the NBA, to outplaying Boozer in the playoffs. And 85 percent of people here would have wanted Boozer instead of Hansbrough at the start of last year. I wouldn't have.

If you wanna think I'm joking, just think if Chicago had Hansbrough in the playoff series? Him and Noah would have destroyed us. McRoberts seemed injured in our series.

Brad8888
06-24-2011, 03:06 AM
Pretty much have to have somebody who can pass the ball instead of looking to score all the time to allow the offense to have any flow. Also, have to have somebody to shore up the defense behind the defense of Paul George and parts of who knows what other players (assuming that Rush will be traded at some point before a season comes up again), and McRoberts is about the only player who can do both of those things when he is on the court. He is the glue guy that holds things together at this point.

If they let McRoberts go, they had better come up with other guy(s) that bring what he does or it won't matter much about having Brian Shaw and Vogel as our head coaches (I didn't mistype that, either. I really don't think that Vogel is going to be the true head coach by himself as much as things will get done by committee, especially if other coaches with experience are also brought in to "help" Frank.). Without a player who understands the flow of the game on both ends of the court in the vicinty of the paint, everything will bog down and become isos and perimeter jumpers with an occasional dump into the low post where hopefully a beefier Roy will be able to deliver.

Day-V
06-24-2011, 03:15 AM
Well, I know Josh definitely wants to be back. He told me as much a week ago at the Indians game, but I'm sure it was pretty common knowledge to everyone, anyway. It's only a matter of if Bird & Co. will have a roster space and/or cap space available for him.

I think they will.

CableKC
06-24-2011, 03:36 AM
I liked what McBob offered....but I am really expecting that Bird will get a Starting Quality PF and that they will also make a concerted effort to bring over Stanko to fill Foster's spot or at least one of the remaining spots needed to add to the Frontcourt.

That would leave 4 Big Men....Hibbert, whoever the Starting PF that I think that Bird will go after in FA or through Trade, Hansbrough and Stanko :pray: . Frankly, I wouldn't mind that 5th Big Man spot to go to Foster where he can competently fill the 4th/5th Rotational Big Man role that Solo filled last season ( basically the Emergency Big Man that can come in when there are injuries ).

Ownagedood
06-24-2011, 10:09 AM
I really don't know which way this will go. I love him on the team in the regular season. But when it comes to the playoffs, his skill set really dissappears. He's a nice guy to come off the bench and hustle and get momentum dunks. But honestly, in the playoffs he just doesn't have the same effect. So im not sure if we should bring him back or not.

We still need to upgrade and get a starting PF. Both Hansborough and Mcbob are back up PFs and if we did get a good starter and maybe a back C, then i really don't see why we should keep Mcbob. Tyler would have the backup mins at PF covered.

Mackey_Rose
06-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Before it became clear that Vogel was going to get the job, I'd have said it's a 50-50 proposition.

With Vogel seemingly in the fold to stay, I'd say it's at least 75-25 that he come backs.

thatch3232
06-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Before it became clear that Vogel was going to get the job, I'd have said it's a 50-50 proposition.

With Vogel seemingly in the fold to stay, I'd say it's at least 75-25 that he come backs.

As the 3rd string PF though? I just don't see that happening. If we find a true starting PF through trade or FA this summer, I don't see Josh returning

Aw Heck
06-24-2011, 10:54 AM
The only way I see him coming back is if:

1) He's fine with getting a significant cut in playing time to make room for our (hopefully) new starting PF. And by significant I mean he'll probably be getting spot minutes and DNP-CD's for most of the year, unless there's an injury.

2) He's fine with getting only a minimal pay raise. I can't see the Pacers wanting to commit more than $3 million to a guy who more than likely won't play that much.

If he's completely fine with those conditions, I'd say he's welcome back.

NuffSaid
06-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Coming out of the draft with no bigs, how likely is it that Josh will be back?
I think it's very likely Jmac will return. Not taking a PF in the draft may be a telling sign in favor of Jmac's job security, but anything could happen in free-agency. And since the decision making isn't exclusively up to the Pacers - it's up to Jmac who has said he wants to stay - I think the Pacers will make him a decent offer.

Justin Tyme
06-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Not for MLE and I'm pretty sure that is not going to happen for 6mil a year either.

No team is going to pay McBob that kind of money let alone Bird. He's not worth it.

Justin Tyme
06-24-2011, 11:46 AM
I agree with you target players 100% but I think we'll have to offer at least a 4 year deal or at least the longest deal allowed in the new cba. The Nuggets are in great cap shape and can pay Nene whatever they want, so he'd have to prefer it here.
Memphis is in cap hell and most likely won't be able to keep Gasol if there's a hard cap. They key is that we have to offer a contract that goes into the 1st. year of the hard cap being implemented. If there's a 3 year grace period we have to offer Gasol a 4 year contract. Memphis has about 45 mil tied up in 3 players 3 years from now. Add a high salary for Gasol into the mix and they're up to 60 mil on 4 players. If you throw a 4 yr. deal at Gasol I think they'd let him walk.

It depends what the hard cap is, and if they ease into over a # of years. If the Griz can move Mayo for a team that can absorb his salary, like the Pacers, they can afford Gasol.

Justin Tyme
06-24-2011, 11:55 AM
I liked what McBob offered....but I am really expecting that Bird will get a Starting Quality PF and that they will also make a concerted effort to bring over Stanko to fill Foster's spot or at least one of the remaining spots needed to add to the Frontcourt.

That would leave 4 Big Men....Hibbert, whoever the Starting PF that I think that Bird will go after in FA or through Trade, Hansbrough and Stanko :pray: . Frankly, I wouldn't mind that 5th Big Man spot to go to Foster where he can competently fill the 4th/5th Rotational Big Man role that Solo filled last season ( basically the Emergency Big Man that can come in when there are injuries ).

I don't expect to see a quick resolve to McBob. I feel Bird will look hard at finding a quality starting PF.

I would like Bird to have been on the phone this morning taking to Ricky Jackson, Greg Smith, etc about coming to training camp. The Pacers have openings for a young big or 2. Not to mention cheap.

Justin Tyme
06-24-2011, 11:59 AM
The only way I see him coming back is if:

1) He's fine with getting a significant cut in playing time to make room for our (hopefully) new starting PF. And by significant I mean he'll probably be getting spot minutes and DNP-CD's for most of the year, unless there's an injury.

2) He's fine with getting only a minimal pay raise. I can't see the Pacers wanting to commit more than $3 million to a guy who more than likely won't play that much.

If he's completely fine with those conditions, I'd say he's welcome back.

Why pay him 3 mil when Solo only made 1.5 mil in that role? 1.5 mil is basically twice what he makes now.

Really?
06-24-2011, 11:59 AM
What about trying to bring in Joel Prezbilla and Kenyon Martin... I think that would be a very nice group for us to have.

Hibbert/Prezbilla
Martin/Hansbrough
Granger/Posey
George/Lance
Hill/Collison

I think this line up would have potential...

CableKC
06-24-2011, 12:03 PM
As the 3rd string PF though? I just don't see that happening. If we find a true starting PF through trade or FA this summer, I don't see Josh returning
This is the way I look at it...he's best suited to be the PF when he is on the floor. Given that Hansbrough would fill the same role....and the likelihood that Bird will be pursuing a Starting quality PF...that would leave no minutes at the PF spot for McBob.

I love what he does and what he is capable of doing...but there simply isn't any minutes for him.

aaronb
06-24-2011, 12:24 PM
How about getting a big who can actually be big? Is the organization against rebounding and defense from a post position?

DrFife
06-24-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm probably in the minority, and I don't necessarily see Bird doing this, but I'd be in favor of trading Hans (along with Collison, if necessary, and/or Rush) for an upgraded PF and re-signing McBob to be our backup.

BRushWithDeath
06-24-2011, 02:10 PM
But honestly, in the playoffs he just doesn't have the same effect. So im not sure if we should bring him back or not.

A 5 game sample told you all of this?

It is clearly ridiculous to base anything off such a small sample. But the perception of the microscopic situation doesn't really match the reality. He was injured and on top of that didn't play particularly well, but it could still be very easily argued that he was our most effective PF in the playoffs.

Per 36 minute stats:

Pts:
Hansbrough: 12.3
McRoberts: 11.4

Reb:
Hansbrough: 5.9
McRoberts: 8.2

Ast:
Hansbrough: 1.1
McRoberts: 2.7

Blk:
Hansbrough: 0.0
McRoberts: 0.5

Stl:
Hansbrough: 1.3
McRoberts: 1.8

PER:
Hansbrough: 8.9
McRoberts: 10.3

If we are able to find a legit starting PF, then absolutely you let McRoberts walk. If not, you almost have to bring him back.

ApNeDtRiEeW
06-24-2011, 02:16 PM
We aren't going to let a player walk that had enough value around the league to net us OJ Mayo.

Plus we need the size

Mackey_Rose
06-24-2011, 02:50 PM
A 5 game sample told you all of this?

It is clearly ridiculous to base anything off such a small sample. But the perception of the microscopic situation doesn't really match the reality. He was injured and on top of that didn't play particularly well, but it could still be very easily argued that he was our most effective PF in the playoffs.

If we are able to find a legit starting PF, then absolutely you let McRoberts walk. If not, you almost have to bring him back.

Looking at those numbers, it would be nearly impossible to argue anything else.

But don't give me numbers and facts, I could care less, give me mindless conjecture and bias.

Hicks
06-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Looking at those numbers, it would be nearly impossible to argue anything else.

But don't give me numbers and facts, I could care less, give me mindless conjecture and bias.

Sorry, but you guys have no room to talk with regards to bias and this conversation.

Mackey_Rose
06-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Sorry, but you guys have no room to talk with regards to bias and this conversation.

Biased? Maybe, but this side has always supported our position with a solid argument and evidence supporting it. The opposite side of the debate does not do so, because there is no evidence that supports their argument.

judicata
06-24-2011, 03:14 PM
I knew BwD and Mackey Rose would hijack this into a Tyler / Josh thread. Those guys never disappoint.

judicata
06-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Biased? Maybe, but this side has always supported our position with a solid argument and evidence supporting it. The opposite side of the debate does not do so, because there is no evidence that supports their argument.

This is just obnoxious. BwD did a great job last season of advocating for a certain lineup.

That is much different than looking at that 5 game playoff sample, extending it to per 36 statistics, and then saying there is only one way of interpreting that data. That isn't solid argument and evidence, that is snake oil.

The counter-argument is plain as day: Josh was consistently mediocre in small minutes while Tyler swung from very effective to terrible and ended up some where in the middle.

I have no problem with your position on Josh and Tyler, although I disagree. I have a huge problem with the condescending ******** quoted above and you parading yourself around as the sole arbiter of logic and evidence.

Hicks
06-24-2011, 03:39 PM

Other than the fact that this is inaccurate, I completely agree. Others have and (if they ever again feel it's worth it anymore) can again.

I'm not doing it again without some new motivation that doesn't currently exist within me. The bottom line when some of us bothered was that it comes down to what you value in a basketball player and in a power forward specifically. Beyond that, it's close enough to not be worth all of the chatter.

Mackey_Rose
06-24-2011, 03:41 PM
This is just obnoxious. BwD did a great job last season of advocating for a certain lineup.

That is much different than looking at that 5 game playoff sample, extending it to per 36 statistics, and then saying there is only one way of interpreting that data. That isn't solid argument and evidence, that is snake oil.

The counter-argument is plain as day: Josh was consistently mediocre in small minutes while Tyler swung from very effective to terrible and ended up some where in the middle.

I have no problem with your position on Josh and Tyler, although I disagree. I have a huge problem with the condescending ******** quoted above and you parading yourself around as the sole arbiter of logic and evidence.

That counter-argument is far from plain as day. It really couldn't be anymore ambiguous. It's just you, guessing what you think you observed to be fact. Why are you unable or unwilling to factually support your counter-argument with any kind of quantitative analysis?

Even if you were arguing that Lance was the next Albert Einstein you could probably find some concrete evidence that supports that whacked out theory. Your argument shouldn't be nearly as hard to make, yet nobody seems able or willing to do so.

BRushWithDeath
06-24-2011, 03:52 PM

I said it was ridiculous to take anything from that small sample. That was the whole point.

We had somebody say to get rid of a guy because his game didn't translate in the playoffs. Nothing, good or bad, should be gleaned from that sample.

It was meant to point at the ludicrousness of making judgements based on the playoff series.

judicata
06-24-2011, 03:53 PM
That counter-argument is far from plain as day. It really couldn't be anymore ambiguous. It's just you, guessing what you think you observed to be fact. Why are you unable or unwilling to factually support your counter-argument with any kind of quantitative analysis?

Even if you were arguing that Lance was the next Albert Einstein you could probably find some concrete evidence that supports that whacked out theory. Your argument shouldn't be nearly as hard to make, yet nobody seems able or willing to do so.

This is just pathetic. I am not advocating that the counter-argument is correct, but that even an imbecile can determine that there are multiple ways to look at the playoff series statistics and see that it isn't "nearly impossible to argue anything else."

Like Hicks, I'm not going to try and argue substance with you for the thirtieth time. You cannot be disabused of your opinion, and there is no point trying to do so again. You are so entrenched in your position that you have historically revised thousands of lines of argument into a bunch of crazy people talking nonsense against your impregnable fortress of statistics and rationality.

If you want to see the arguments, use the search function. I'm not typing them out again just to be in this same position in 3 months.

judicata
06-24-2011, 03:53 PM
I said it was ridiculous to take anything from that small sample. That was the whole point.

We had somebody say to get rid of a guy because his game didn't translate in the playoffs. Nothing, good or bad, should be gleaned from that sample.

It was meant to point at the ludicrousness of making judgements based on the playoff series.

I agree with you.

Eleazar
06-24-2011, 03:58 PM
If the Pacers are able to find a starting PF the only reason McRoberts should return is if Hansbrough is traded otherwise there just isn't enough minutes. If there is no new PF then re-signing McBob is a must in my opinion. I still think between the two McRoberts starting is the best scenario, and really I kind of got the feeling the only reason Hansbrough started this season was because Bird wanted him to, not because it was best for the team. Really between the two who plays more should always depend more on who is playing better that particular day. They both have major strengths, but they both also have huge holes in their games. So in other words they are both good back-ups, but average starters at best.

vnzla81
06-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Yep, I really hope we don't bring the wanna be power forward that is actually an small forward that can't shoot in Mc Roberts back, I hope some other team falls in love with his the one hand pass behind the back per game and takes him away from the Pacers. :pray:

lilojmayo
06-24-2011, 04:14 PM
We aren't going to let a player walk that had enough value around the league to net us OJ Mayo.

Plus we need the size
It is logical thinking, but Heisley said he would never do a trade like that again the 2nd time around. And with Mayo not traded during draft has been sticking to his word. I must say it would have been the most lobsided ( rape) trade since the Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol trade of a few years back.

Heisley is said to have informed the Grizzlies' front office that he will no longer sign off on any deals he perceives as cheap, like the failed February transaction that would have sent Mayo to Indiana for forward Josh McRoberts and a first-round pickhttp://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/jun/22/core-assets/

tikitomoka
06-24-2011, 09:15 PM
I think it's very likely Jmac will return. Not taking a PF in the draft may be a telling sign in favor of Jmac's job security, but anything could happen in free-agency. And since the decision making isn't exclusively up to the Pacers - it's up to Jmac who has said he wants to stay - I think the Pacers will make him a decent offer.
that was by default more than anything. there wasn't really anything there worth considering in terms of a forward.

Young
06-24-2011, 09:32 PM
I think that Bird will get an upgrade at the 4 and move Tyler to the bench. Josh would have to give the Pacers a heck of a hometown discount, IMO.

bphil
06-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Everybody's talking about logic in this thread, but I'm going to be admittedly illogical here and say that I would really miss Josh for one reason... his crazy nasty dunks. Dood reminds me of Shawn Kemp when he throws down and I love it.

Plus, he did improve his game drastically last year and could potentially improve even more... let's keep in mind that he's younger than Tyler. I hope we can keep him.

imawhat
06-24-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm so glad we didn't draft any of those "power forwards".

I'd love for Josh to be back but I don't expect it to happen. I don't know where he fits if our target is another power forward.

aaronb
06-24-2011, 10:28 PM
It is logical thinking, but Heisley said he would never do a trade like that again the 2nd time around. And with Mayo not traded during draft has been sticking to his word. I must say it would have been the most lobsided ( rape) trade since the Kwame Brown for Pau Gasol trade of a few years back.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/jun/22/core-assets/

Pau Gasol for Marc Gasol, Kwame's expiring deal (which became Zach Randolph) and 3 First round picks?

I wish we could have gotten "raped" like that when we were shopping JO.

xIndyFan
06-24-2011, 11:14 PM
don't understand the josh vs tyler thing. it seems that ship has sailed. tyler is the pacer undersized high-energy PF type. or at least that seems to be the choice of TPTB anyway. :confused:

the pacers still need the 'dale davis' starting PF. and i assume bird will sign someone to fill that role. don't know if he will be a long term solution or a short term one. but some kind of starting PF needs to be added to the team. tyler looks to be a nice scoring PF, but lacks defensive/shotblocking and looks undersized.

i would like to see josh resigned. he has some holes in his game, but is still athletic. he has some nice skills. if he can learn some low post offense or defense, he can be a useful player. but last season he was more of a tall PG than a PF. if he can learn some PF type skills, he can be a good player. he is young, and is making the effort to get better, it seems a good idea to keep him for his potential. however, i would not spend a lot of money on him. maybe $1M/yr. if he can get more than that from someone else, that would be ok with me and good for him.

Kemo
06-24-2011, 11:24 PM
I really don't know which way this will go. I love him on the team in the regular season. But when it comes to the playoffs, his skill set really dissappears. He's a nice guy to come off the bench and hustle and get momentum dunks. But honestly, in the playoffs he just doesn't have the same effect. So im not sure if we should bring him back or not.

We still need to upgrade and get a starting PF. Both Hansborough and Mcbob are back up PFs and if we did get a good starter and maybe a back C, then i really don't see why we should keep Mcbob. Tyler would have the backup mins at PF covered.

You have to take 2 important things into consideration .
1st he was injured, and playing through it at the worst possible time.. aka the playoffs..

2nd. This is the first time he has played in a playoff game.. cut him some slack..

I DEFINITELY want him back.. He is only gonna grow with this team and get better and better..

At 24yrs old.. he is only gonna keep refining his game...

It would be utterly STUPID to let him go now..

Kemo
06-24-2011, 11:29 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/jun/22/core-assets/

WELL NOW.... Isn't Heisley quite the doosh

Sparhawk
06-24-2011, 11:29 PM
I'd like to see Josh back, but I too don't think it will happen.

Eleazar
06-25-2011, 01:35 AM
I'd like to see Josh back, but I too don't think it will happen.

Yeah, unless Hansbrough is traded the only way I see us keeping Josh is if we can't find another PF.

jpc
06-25-2011, 03:16 AM
Just to fuel the fire a bit, on what I at least, find to be an interesting discussion. Here are last years salaries and stats for McBob, Tyler, Paul Milsap, & Josh Smith. I included Milsap and Smith because they are, as far as I know, two of the better power forwards who might be available this summer.

54%, 38%, 74%, 5.3 rbs, 7.4 pts, 2.1 assists, 0.8 blocks, 22 minutes, $800,000
46%, 0%, 77%, 5.2 rbs, 11 pts, 0.6 assists, 0.2 blocks, 22 minutes, $2,000,000
53%, 39%, 75%, 7.6 rbs, 17.1 pts, 2.5 assists, 0.9 blocks, 34 minutes, $7,600,000
47%, 33%, 72%, 8.5 rbs, 16.5 pts, 3.3 assists, 1.6 blocks, 34 minutes, $11,700,000

Now to my eye McBob looks like a pretty good value even if you gave him say a 300% - 400% raise. McBob also has only 20% of the game experience of Milsap and 10% of the experience of Josh Smith. Is it a stretch to think that he might be better next year? I have no idea how much money he wants or how much others will be able to offer with the new CBA but I think he will be back.

LeeTheG7
06-25-2011, 05:44 AM
Unless Tyler gets traded or Bird can't find another PF I doubt McRoberts will get signed.

Roaming Gnome
06-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Nothing against J-Mac, but I fail to see him being more than a high quality back up Power Forward. Honestly, do we need 2 of those guys on this roster that lacks a starting quality PF?

rm1369
06-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Nothing against J-Mac, but I fail to see him being more than a high quality back up Power Forward. Honestly, do we need 2 of those guys on this roster that lacks a starting quality PF?

No. At this point it wouldn't make sense to re-sign McRoberts for anything near market value. Of course it didn't make sense to draft Tyler to be your second backup PF either. But now that they did, the correct thing to do is let McRoberts go and look for s starter.

Shade
06-25-2011, 08:37 AM
No disrespect to Josh, but I hope we can do better.

We need a starting PF far more than a back-up.

xIndyFan
06-25-2011, 08:44 AM

resigning jmac would be a good idea. depending on the salary of course. i would not spend anything other than vet's min type money.

the reason to resign jmac is his potential, not his production. if josh can get bigger and stronger, he can start to do the low post things he doesn't do well enough yet. for example, if josh could defend and rebound like jeff foster, wouldn't he be a good player to have on the team. jmo, but those things he needs to do to become a good defender/rebounder are things that can be learned, aren't they? it would seem a good idea to give him the chance to show he can do the things necessary to become a real power PF.

with all of josh's ball handling skills and hops, he could be a pretty good player if he could do actual PF stuff.

Infinite MAN_force
06-25-2011, 10:01 AM
I think the scenario where you are most likely to see Josh resigned is if Hansbrough is the trade bait to acquire that elusive starter at PF. For example, I would not at all be opposed to packaging Hansbrough and a future first to Utah for Millsap, and signing Josh to be the backup.

idioteque
06-25-2011, 10:25 AM
I don't think there's any way Josh and Tyler are both back. We're going to try to make whichever one of them have more trade value in a trade to the Jazz, IMHO.

McKeyFan
06-25-2011, 10:27 AM
It's a shame McBob hasn't grown defensively and in terms of offensive rebounds. You'd think maybe Foster could have groomed him.

I have a definite soft spot for McBob. He brings intangibles and emotion that are just plain fun.

But it's also a shame that we have a very similar player who's slightly better.

Justin Tyme
06-25-2011, 12:27 PM
At 24yrs old.. he is only gonna keep refining his game...

It would be utterly STUPID to let him go now...

Last off season he worked on shooting 3's. I sure hope he's working on the following this off season.

DEFENSE

Rebounding

Getting stronger

Mid range game

Pacergeek
06-25-2011, 12:34 PM
josh is absolutely coming back. Bird is going to keep bringing in the local guys here.

wintermute
06-25-2011, 01:13 PM
For those saying we can't have both Hans and McBob... er, why not? We still need a big man rotation. We have exactly 2 bigs under contract right now, and IMO we need at least 5.

Big man depth chart:

C Hibbert, (Backup C)
PF (Starting PF), Hans, (3rd string F/C)

Our main summer acquisition should be a (big money) starting PF type. But we'll also need at least two others - a backup C and a 3rd string F/C type. McBob can certainly fill the last role, and depending on whether that starting PF can play some C, then maybe you can get away with using McBob as your backup C too.

So I think there's room on the roster for McBob. The question is whether someone would give him better offers to lure him away.

CooperManning
06-25-2011, 01:23 PM
I just don't think McBob has the size to play backup 5, as much I wish he did.

wintermute
06-25-2011, 01:45 PM

I think I explained it badly. What I meant was that if our mystery PF can play some 5, then we won't really need a pure 5 for the backup C. For example, we can have frontcourt pairings like so:

Hibbert/(Mystery PF)
(Mystery PF)/Hans
(Mystery PF)/McBob

Obviously that would depend on who we get, and that guy would dictate how the rest of our big man rotation is structured.

rm1369
06-25-2011, 01:49 PM
The question is whether someone would give him better offers to lure him away.

That's my only issue - can you afford to pay Josh market value to be a third string player? I doubt it. I personally would like to keep him because I think his ceiling is higher than Tyler's. But the team has so many more needs that, IMO, it won't be fiscally responsible to pay Josh what he's worth. Unless you plan on trading Tyler - which I'm not against.

Justin Tyme
06-25-2011, 02:13 PM

Nor the back to the basket game at center should have.

ksuttonjr76
06-25-2011, 02:21 PM
So sick of everyone saying that Tyler is not a starting PF....that's based off of?????

Eleazar
06-25-2011, 04:47 PM
So sick of everyone saying that Tyler is not a starting PF....that's based off of?????

A season and a half of play.

speakout4
06-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Resigning Josh would be an admission of failure to sign someone better. I like josh but he's not even the solution as b/u. However, I wouldn't have a problem signing him for Solomon Jones kind of money.

ksuttonjr76
06-26-2011, 02:52 PM
A season and a half of play.

Wow...he had vertigo the first season, and he didn't get consistent PT until JOB was fired.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3991/tyler-hansbrough

After the All-Star break, he averaged 15.3 PPG, 6.7 RPG, 1.2 TO/GM and .8 SPG while shooting 47.7% and attempted 5 FT/GM. What's there to REALLY to complain about???? I can only see Tyler improving...especially now that he can have a full summer to work on his game.

Anthem
06-26-2011, 04:54 PM
What's there to REALLY to complain about?
Rebounding. But overall I agree that Tyler's got potential.

I don't understand why more people aren't interested in Josh at backup C. He was easily as good a defender as Solo.

I thought Josh/Tyler on the floor together was a good-looking (although rare) combo.

McKeyFan
06-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Rebounding. But overall I agree that Tyler's got potential.

I don't understand why more people aren't interested in Josh at backup C. He was easily as good a defender as Solo.

I thought Josh/Tyler on the floor together was a good-looking (although rare) combo.

I wouldn't be upset if we resigned McBob.

I don't think he's reached his ceiling. Defensively, I think he could learn some things, and I think he's willing to learn some things. He doesn't lack tenacity, which is hard to teach. He doesn't lack athleticism, which cannot be taught.

Some guys have an attitude or longtime habit of laziness that keeps them from learning fundamentals later on, but I don't see McBob in that category. It would be interesting to see if a defensive fundamentals crash course or some extra Foster mentoring could get him to another level.

Offensively, I've seen him score from three, midrange, and around the basket. I've seen him post up and make the short shot. He has the talent, he just needs to focus primarily on the post up moves to get him to the next level. Someone needs to tell him to do that instead of telling him to improve his three point shot (thanks Obie) :rolleyes

presto123
06-26-2011, 05:26 PM
I wouldn't be upset if we resigned McBob.

I don't think he's reached his ceiling. Defensively, I think he could learn some things, and I think he's willing to learn some things. He doesn't lack tenacity, which is hard to teach. He doesn't lack athleticism, which cannot be taught.

Some guys have an attitude or longtime habit of laziness that keeps them from learning fundamentals later on, but I don't see McBob in that category. It would be interesting to see if a defensive fundamentals crash course or some extra Foster mentoring could get him to another level.

Offensively, I've seen him score from three, midrange, and around the basket. I've seen him post up and make the short shot. He has the talent, he just needs to focus primarily on the post up moves to get him to the next level. Someone needs to tell him to do that instead of telling him to improve his three point shot (thanks Obie) :rolleyes

My thoughts exactly. I've always thought his ceiling is higher than Tyler. Josh could be scary offensively if he develops some post moves and a mid range game. With his ability to pass like that if opponents had to respect his midrange jumper he could find people open a lot more often. I still don't know much about his off court attitude and work ethic? Are you working your *** off this summer Josh? He should be shooting a thousand mid range jumpers a day. Defensively he needs to be willing to get in there and mix it up more and block out instead of trying to use his athleticism to defend and block shots like he has a tendency to do. I hope we get him back. I can see him being a very good player down the road but only if he works HARD.

Steagles
06-26-2011, 05:27 PM
I am completely against getting rid of McBob and getting a mystery PF, this off season. I would be much more comfortable waiting a year and giving him and Tyler an actual season to work with to see progression. If they still don't progress well, we can send one away for someone new, and remember Gasol is a UFA next summer.

PR07
06-26-2011, 05:32 PM
I think it's a coin flip. What I'd like to see is to re-sign McRoberts as the second big off the bench in order to save Foster for the playoffs. However, he might be able to get more money than that role requires.

Scot Pollard
06-26-2011, 05:35 PM
McMuscle!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CPP7LjnMEdM/TPasWH9iRhI/AAAAAAAABk4/F6efuN65RMQ/s1600/josh-mcroberts-2009-10-2-22-10-0.jpg

Still one of my favorite pictures.

Though I don't think he'll be coming back. Slight chance, but very doubtful he's a Pacer next season.

DrFife
06-26-2011, 06:25 PM
I have a very strange orientation to this question. I like JMac, I like the idea that he really wants to stay a Pacer, and I like the fact that he has improved and is still quite young. The optimist in me (I would say "romantic," but I'd never hear the end of it from the misconstrue crowd) even hopes that he'll add armor this summer like Hans did last summer ... so that with an improved post game and some more toughness, Josh actually will reclaim his starting role. If he could do that and if he were to sign a "reasonable" contract, we'd be sitting pretty indeed. Big ifs, I know, but fun to think about.

However, I think it more likely that he'll be dealt in a sign-and-trade, perhaps for a solid backup to Danny.

Eleazar
06-26-2011, 07:02 PM
I think last summer proved that McRoberts is both willing to work on what his coach thinks he needs to work on, and is able to progress relatively quickly. I doubt most big men would improve their 3-point shot as much as McRoberts did last summer.

McKeyFan
06-26-2011, 07:11 PM
McMuscle!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CPP7LjnMEdM/TPasWH9iRhI/AAAAAAAABk4/F6efuN65RMQ/s1600/josh-mcroberts-2009-10-2-22-10-0.jpg

Someone mind telling me exactly what Salmons is doing here?

Anthem
06-26-2011, 08:39 PM
I think last summer proved that McRoberts is both willing to work on what his coach thinks he needs to work on, and is able to progress relatively quickly. I doubt most big men would improve their 3-point shot as much as McRoberts did last summer.
That's a fantastic point that I'd never considered. Good call, and that makes me want even more to keep the guy.

Someone mind telling me exactly what Salmons is doing here?
:laugh: Wow, I've seen that photo a dozen times and never noticed that.

Sookie
06-26-2011, 08:41 PM
I had a preference for JMac to play backup Center, but I don't think he can do that. Not strong enough/tall enough. Thus, him and Hans are pretty redundant. In that, even if they are different players, they are similar quality. Once again, pretty obvious which one Larry would prefer to keep.

McKeyFan
06-26-2011, 10:29 PM
:laugh: Wow, I've seen that photo a dozen times and never noticed that.
I was going to thank this post, but for the sake of justice and world peace, I will refrain.

PacerGuy
06-26-2011, 10:40 PM
I think McBob is likely to be resigned for the same reason I think the Hill trade was a good move - the impending lock-out!
There is a VERY good chance that IF there is a season at all, it will be a shortened one. That said, it means EVERYTHING will be shortened - No summer league, shortened FA signing perion, short pre-season,... This gives the advantage to veteran teams & teams that have played together. Resigning McBob & Foster to short (even higher $ 1-yr deals) would give the Pacers a real opportunity to compete next season. In a short season, ANYTHING is possible!

Cactus Jax
06-27-2011, 01:11 AM
I was going to thank this post, but for the sake of justice and world peace, I will refrain.

For Ron Artest's sake?

LA_Confidential
06-27-2011, 01:26 AM
I'd like to keep Josh around. Foster too (Did I just say that?). I still would like an Upgrade made at the 4/5 with a new player. Josh and Jeff can share backup time. Josh would see more time during the regular season allowing Jeff go be fresh during the playoffs. Nothing wrong with a deep front court.

EvilleJim
06-27-2011, 01:58 AM
I believe the Pacers should for sure sign McRoberts, then pick up a decent PF, need a back up C too, then were set for this coming season, should be very interesting to say the least!

graphic-er
06-28-2011, 07:12 PM
I'd like to resign McBob as well, but I think he is a real enigma though. Just how much did he improve over the past 3 years he has been here? He was throwing down rim rocking dunks back then too. He is a tall white guy who went to Duke....how is he not a decent shooter by now? He has 4 years in the league now, why hasn't he gotten bigger in terms of muscle mass, he is strong but he still looks like he needs to add muscle to his frame.

Last year he was barely serviceable if he wasn't dunking. Has no game to speak of below the rim. I'd probaby offer him a 1-2 year deal a little higher than he makes now, and tell him its make or break time for him. Dude should be able to give you alittle more than he does. How many times did you see him last year get blocked on easy put backs?

Anthem
06-28-2011, 08:02 PM
I'd like to resign McBob as well, but I think he is a real enigma though. Just how much did he improve over the past 3 years he has been here? He was throwing down rim rocking dunks back then too. He is a tall white guy who went to Duke....how is he not a decent shooter by now? He has 4 years in the league now, why hasn't he gotten bigger in terms of muscle mass, he is strong but he still looks like he needs to add muscle to his frame.
Wow, I don't really agree with any of that. McBob is definitely bigger than he was 3 years ago, and definitely a better long-range shooter.

317Kim
06-28-2011, 09:46 PM
I'd love for the P's to re-sign JMac, and have a good feeling they will. He has improved quite a bit since he first got here and you've gotta love those nasty dunks. (#letjoshdunk)

Eleazar
06-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Resigning Josh would be an admission of failure to sign someone better.

That may be, but lets be honest. Even though neither Hansbrough or McRoberts would be ideal starters, we aren't desperate for a new PF. They are a serviceable duo, we just need something better if we want to compete for a championship. Since it is unlikely we are competing for a championship next season, we can be patient if we need to be.

daschysta
06-28-2011, 09:59 PM
I like Mcbob, but I can't justify resigning him if were able to find an upgrade at the 4. Maybe if Jeff retires and we don't get someone better than solomon jones he can be the backup 5, but that's a little bit of a stretch..

Trophy
06-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Bird doesn't sound like he's going to be a part of the future.

If he's not being brought back, then that's a sign he has a plan in mind to get a better PF and use the cap space.

Trophy
06-28-2011, 10:45 PM
I like Mcbob, but I can't justify resigning him if were able to find an upgrade at the 4. Maybe if Jeff retires and we don't get someone better than solomon jones he can be the backup 5, but that's a little bit of a stretch..

Solomon Jones is a FA.

Anthem
06-28-2011, 11:03 PM
I'd much rather have McBob at the 5 than Solo.

Steagles
06-28-2011, 11:27 PM
I'd much rather have McBob at the 5 than Solo.

They are the same size and Josh is a much better player than Solo, so that is a no brainer!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

NappyRootz
06-28-2011, 11:30 PM
I hope he's back, haven't a clue what will happen.

I don't have a problem with the Hans and McBob PF duo. Inless we can land a real stud PF through free agency or a trade without giving up much. I'm fine with the team pretty much as it is for this coming season.

I don't either ....not sure y everyone thinks we need a of when Hans was our best player against chi for much of the series. Mcbob a capable backup .......our biggest need remains the 2 and I think a 4 yr 40 mm offer will pry my #1 target away from Denver. .....Aaron affallo. We probably send Denver rush or Jones in a sign and trade deal......that gives us dc. George and mcbob as top bench guys ......not bad at all with new backcourt of hill and affallo