PDA

View Full Version : George Hill or OJ Mayo

The Future
06-23-2011, 11:48 PM
We got Hill off the bench who can create a shot.

We basically had Mayo until the last second last season.

Who would you rather have now and in the future on this Pacers team?

vnzla81
06-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Both?

sobleski
06-23-2011, 11:55 PM
George Hill becuase we need a point guard who can play defense

Young
06-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Well that depends on how you view them.

I guess I see Hill as a point and Mayo as a 2. I think both can help the Pacers but I see Hill's defense as more help than Mayo's offense. Hill can score too.

ZepZach
06-23-2011, 11:56 PM
I can honestly say I prefer Hill. And that makes me happy

CooperManning
06-23-2011, 11:57 PM
George Hill b/c of the defense and cheaper contract.

BringJackBack
06-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Hill; He's a good two-way player who can play multiple positions and will have a very positive influence in our locker room. Mayo has character issues and is off and on with his defense.

Trophy
06-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Hands down George Hill.

I think this deal puts all these OJ Mayo threads to rest.

BornReady
06-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Hill. BECAUSE WE HAVE HIM AND HE IS A PACER! YAYWOOT!!!

Pacersalltheway10
06-24-2011, 12:08 AM
George Hill but OJ Mayo talent wise. George Hill is much better overall.

Kegboy
06-24-2011, 12:21 AM
George Hill x 1000

Lance George
06-24-2011, 12:30 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=hillge01&y1=2011&p2=mayooj01&y2=2011

George Hill was clearly better this past season.

Kegboy
06-24-2011, 12:35 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=hillge01&y1=2011&p2=mayooj01&y2=2011

Well played. :tip:

Derek2k3
06-24-2011, 12:43 AM

Hill averaged 2 less shots/game, while scoring slightly more than Mayo.

I'll take Hill over Mayo any day of the week. Mayo has had entitlment issues since highschool, I'm always concerned about adding a guy like that to a lockerroom that may be lacking a strong leader.

LeeTheG7
06-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Mayo always seemed better to me but who knows George Hill might be able to play point guard which Mayo couldn't.

jeffg-body
06-24-2011, 01:29 AM
Honestly I'd like them both after we jettison Rush out, hopefully in a Rush + 2013 1st for Mayo. After that bring Magnum back and if a good trade scenario comes up to get that 4 we covet all the much better.

MrHale
06-24-2011, 01:33 AM
I think people are biased since we got hill now, I think mayo be the better player in years to come.. not saying I'm upset about having hill I thought it was pretty damn good trade but I believe mayo is nmore talented.

Spirit
06-24-2011, 01:35 AM
George Hill will not be our backup. He's a starter.

graphic-er
06-24-2011, 01:54 AM
I think that Hill is much more versatile that Mayo.

joeco
06-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Mayo upside, Hill fills a bigger need tho. Also, Hill had better numbers cause he was on SA. All you do is get wide open jump shots in that system. Ask Mason, Jackson, Hill etc.

Sandman21
06-24-2011, 01:58 AM
Give me the kid who has a solid head on his shoulders. I never thought that the near-deal for Mayo was a good idea to begin with, and to be honest, I'm even more glad tonight that deal DID fall through last winter.

Thank you for screwing everything up, league-owned third wheel team!

CableKC
06-24-2011, 02:01 AM
I still think that Bird calls up the Grizzlies to try to get Mayo for a TPE + BRush + future 1st.

Pacer Fan
06-24-2011, 02:07 AM
George Hill... Thank you Larry! Keep it up!

Isaac
06-24-2011, 02:27 AM
This is getting out of hand. How anyone could think Hill is better than Mayo is beyond me. Its not close.

aaronb
06-24-2011, 02:38 AM
Mayo is the far superior player. I'm glad we have Hill though. Our new starting PG.

Mayo's ceiling is prime Jalen Rose, Hill's ceiling is closer to Vern Fleming

That's the difference if we are talking actual player to player.

pacer4ever
06-24-2011, 02:44 AM
This is getting out of hand. How anyone could think Hill is better than Mayo is beyond me. Its not close.

I am grading by currently OJ had a terrible season last year. But OJ will be better next season and was better his first 2 seasons. I think people forgot how good OJ was his first 2 seasons.

Pacer Fan
06-24-2011, 03:45 AM
I am grading by currently OJ had a terrible season last year. But OJ will be better next season and was better his first 2 seasons. I think people forgot how good OJ was his first 2 seasons.

I didn't forget anything! When you look at the Leadership and Intangibles. The age and maturity. Then just look at the stats. I can't even consider Mayo over Hill. I am just glad the Mayo trade never went thru. As many would say, things happen for a reason.

George Hill will retire a Pacer if the Pacers want it. He wants to play here and the Pacers has wanted him for a long time. It took me 30 minutes to actually believe this trade was happening. I, along with the media was pretty well stunned that the Spurs done this trade.

OnPace08
06-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I think people are biased since we got hill now, I think mayo be the better player in years to come.. not saying I'm upset about having hill I thought it was pretty damn good trade but I believe mayo is nmore talented.

Personally, I like them both. However, I do agree with your assessment that Mayo is the better player. But, when having to choose between what each player brings to the table for the Pacers, given our areas of need, I would have to go with George Hill. He provides a scoring touch but not at the sacrifice of defense. Whereas, Mayo, at this point, would be solely an offensive punch. Again, as mentioned before, I like them both and would love it if we still made a play for him. It would be a very solid and highly productive back court rotation!

Hicks
06-24-2011, 01:47 PM

I'm really pleasantly surprised to see which one got to the foul line more often.

Hicks
06-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Mayo is the far superior player. I'm glad we have Hill though. Our new starting PG.

Clearly better at shooting? No.

Clearly better at getting fouled? No.

Clearly better distributor? Not according to their nearly-identical Assist/TO ratios.

Clearly better defender? LOL

What is it that he does that you love so much, exactly?

PaulGeorge
06-24-2011, 01:52 PM
hopefully hill, lance and paul hit it off and hill can show them indy is a great place to live. Plus you know hill is a professional and smart kid. OJ and Lance jus scares me

asmithxc
06-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Clearly better at shooting? No.

Clearly better at getting fouled? No.

Clearly better distributor? Not according to their nearly-identical Assist/TO ratios.

Clearly better defender? LOL

What is it that he does that you love so much, exactly?

This.

I'm not sure why I would think Mayo is a clearly superior player. Yes, but put up more points his first two years, but he didn't do so in a particularly impressive manner. Hill (though in a somewhat smaller role) has been a far more efficient player -- and that doesn't even take into account his defense. I don't know why I shouldn't think Hill could average 17-18 points per game, if his role was to use 21-25% of his teams percentage while on the floor.

NapTonius Monk
06-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Mayo is a better offensive player. Defensively, Hill is the guy. Depends on your need. I think Hill is a bit more efficient it seems. But I love G Hill!

SMosley21
06-24-2011, 02:47 PM
hopefully hill, lance and paul hit it off and hill can show them indy is a great place to live. Plus you know hill is a professional and smart kid. OJ and Lance jus scares me

You know Lance is trouble when his own teammate says that he scares him.

;)

lilojmayo
06-24-2011, 04:02 PM

He isn't obviously. Mayo average 19 ppg his rookie season. Hill will never even sniff that amount even in his prime. OJ going to do some great things in his prime 2 years from now. But it shows how great the fan base is for the Pacers. A very loyal fan base. Which is why I wouldn't have minded OJ coming here because of the great fans and organization.

lilojmayo
06-24-2011, 04:03 PM

Brandon Roy but better.

Isaac
06-24-2011, 04:24 PM
I, along with the media was pretty well stunned that the Spurs done this trade.

Actually, I think the general consensus is that the Spurs did it again and had a terrific draft picking up Leonard who has top 5 pick potential at 15 by trading a player that was redundant to their roster.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Lance and OJ on the same team? Give me a break!

Really?
06-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Wasn't really too much a fan of Mayo in the first place so I guess I am kind of bias...

Slick Pinkham
06-24-2011, 04:57 PM
You must also consider off-court and attitude issues.

Mayo seems to have had attitude/effort/character issues forever, since he proclaimed himself the next big thing and started his own self-promotion web site as a sixth grader.

to review: He shopped himself around to the highest bidder for high school, accepted illegal benefits at USC to get them in trouble and get his coach fired while lining his pockets with cash and not really winning anything, went to the NBA and briefly shined before he was asked to come of the bench, and then he sulked and regressed.

Just because Mayo arguably has a higher ceiling doesn't mean he is a better fit or a better long-term solution.

He has a much lower floor as well.

Major Cold
06-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Mayo played great defense in the playoffs.

SMosley21
06-25-2011, 11:33 AM
He isn't obviously. Mayo average 19 ppg his rookie season. Hill will never even sniff that amount even in his prime. OJ going to do some great things in his prime 2 years from now. But it shows how great the fan base is for the Pacers. A very loyal fan base. Which is why I wouldn't have minded OJ coming here because of the great fans and organization.

You wouldn't happen to be a little biased in favor of Mayo would you?

Lance George
06-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Mayo was put into the perfect situation to put up good numbers: A primary option on a garbage team. That's a far cry from landing on the Spurs and having to fight for minutes behind a pair of All-Star caliber players. As Memphis' reliance on Mayo has decreased, their win total has increased. Coincidence?

The most fair comparison in terms of minutes played and team success was this past season, where Hill was clearly better. O.J.'s bigger and possibly "more talented," but it sure hasn't translated on the court.

I'm really pleasantly surprised to see which one got to the foul line more often.

It's not even close, either. In fact, taking into account both Hill getting to the line more and superior FT%, he's actually making more than twice as many free throws per game as Mayo.

Look at the TS%, too: Hill .588, Mayo .499. Wow. Mayo's a first-class chucker.

trailrunner
06-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Start Hill at SG. Move George to SF. Trade Granger and Rush.

Psyren
06-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Hill, if for nothing else he's a high character guy who, in addition to that, can score, play multiple positions, and defend.

xIndyFan
06-25-2011, 02:44 PM
I still think that Bird calls up the Grizzlies to try to get Mayo for a TPE + BRush + future 1st.

jmo, but i think that ship has sailed. getting hill means the pacers don't need the things mayo brought to the pacers. most likely the trading assets will be used to get bigs. at least i hope so, given how badly the pacers need bigs.

croz24
06-25-2011, 02:47 PM
reading the comments in these threads you'd think hill was about to get his jersey retired by the pacers...

Young
06-25-2011, 02:56 PM
jmo, but i think that ship has sailed. getting hill means the pacers don't need the things mayo brought to the pacers. most likely the trading assets will be used to get bigs. at least i hope so, given how badly the pacers need bigs.

Agree. Unless Granger is moved I don't think that the Pacers need Mayo.

Isaac
06-25-2011, 03:36 PM
He has a much lower floor as well.

We saw his floor last year, and his floor is still slightly better than anything Hill has done in his 3 years in the league.

I'm glad we have Hill but I would DEFINITELY prefer to have Leonard and Mayo.

SMosley21
06-25-2011, 03:40 PM
We saw his floor last year, and his floor is still slightly better than anything Hill has done in his 3 years in the league.

I'm glad we have Hill but I would DEFINITELY prefer to have Leonard and Mayo.

How does that make any sense, when Hill had a better year than Mayo?

BlueNGold
06-25-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm surprised so many voted against Mayo who I think is a Granger level talent. But hey, I've been wrong before. Perhaps I'm wrong about this one. Hill is not as talented IMO as Mayo but he is probably a much better team mate and comes without the baggage. He might be the type of guy you want on a contender...

mattie
06-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Good question. Let's look at stats:

Mayo Hill

Minutes/G 26.3 28.3

PPG: 11.3 11.7

TS% .499 .588

3P% .364 .377

FT% .756 .863

It almost looks like they have identical roles yet Hill outperforms him in every statistical category.

Then again, that's just stats. Stats mean nothing.

Let's look at salaries:

Mayo: 5.6 million in 11/12

Hill: 2 million in 11/12

That's 1 point for Mayo I mean he gets paid more, that probably means he is better.

Let's look at highlight videos:

Hill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm-LlK4x6Ws

Mayo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSe1Y-l3e0

And that solves it. Mayo has a way cooler highlight video. I mean, did you see some of those moves? Yep. He's better.

Hicks
06-25-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm surprised so many voted against Mayo who I think is a Granger level talent. But hey, I've been wrong before. Perhaps I'm wrong about this one. Hill is not as talented IMO as Mayo but he is probably a much better team mate and comes without the baggage. He might be the type of guy you want on a contender...

If we're talking about as far as each player's abilities could ever possibly take them, it appears to me that Mayo wins this easily.

But I realize that there're several reasons why players often don't go as far as they theoretically could go, and when I consider that with regards to both players, I think Hill has surpassed Mayo a little bit.

There's potential for Mayo to swing this back in his favor, but it's not now. It can only come later.

Steagles
06-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Hill.

All we need is another Rush: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/2007-03-10-oj-mayo_N.htm