PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the pick and trade?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Anthem
06-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Well?

diamonddave00
06-23-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't like it picks 15 and 42 plus rights to Lorbek for just Hill why wasn't pick 29 part of the trade?

PacerPenguins
06-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Tim Donahue (8pts9sec): Rumbles about Granger being on the block, and separate rumors about the Pacers being interested in Al Jefferson.

granger33
06-23-2011, 09:25 PM
is it a done deal?

BobbyMac
06-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I think it will be good, haven't seen the details yet.

Trophy
06-23-2011, 09:26 PM
I was really excited about Kawhi Leonard and saw he got George Hill and hoping we were getting both.

I'm pretty happy with George Hill. Would've liked to have kept Kawhi Leonard too.

Lance George
06-23-2011, 09:28 PM
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5508/hillp.jpg

Kstat
06-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Kawhi Leonard was a gift at #15.

Pacers got a better fit for their roster, but lost out big on raw talent.

Seemed like a hometown deal to me. I can't see any other team trading Kawhi for Hill.

Kstat
06-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Kawhi Leonard was a gift at #15.

Pacers got a better fit for their roster, but lost out big on raw talent.

Seemed like a hometown deal to me. I can't see any other team trading Kawhi for Hill.

pwee31
06-23-2011, 09:31 PM
I like the trade. Thought #15 was enough with Kawhi falling there, so #42, and Lorbek rights are a little confusing, but who knows when the night ends?

FlavaDave
06-23-2011, 09:33 PM
I like George Hill a lot. I think this is a wise move.

Dr. Awesome
06-23-2011, 09:33 PM
This was an epic fail. We traded completely out of the draft got a backup PG? If they expect him to play SG too, then we are screwing ourselves defensively by having a 6'2 SG.

To go with that, whats all this BS about Bird saying Stephenson is the best player on our team, then he follows that statement by trading for a guy who plays the same position?

This entire trade is FUBAR.

judicata
06-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Either way we come out looking pretty good. I was amazed Leonard was still there, and just as surprised that SA would deal Hill for him.

MrPreGame
06-23-2011, 09:37 PM
I like the fact that we now have a big bodied point to back up DC when he is outmatched by bigger guys(Rose). This could also mean Paul George is our new 6th man( I hope not). I really like our perimeter defense with Hill at point. I dont like the fact that we need to trade to get a new big man though.

peasouptexan7
06-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Lorbek is irrelevant. He isn't coming over. So it's really just Leonard and 42 for Hill. Not sure how I feel about it just yet. Waiting to see what Bird has to say. Really depends on how Leonard develops. I'm trusting Bird on this one.

ilive4sports
06-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Tim Donahue (8pts9sec): Rumbles about Granger being on the block, and separate rumors about the Pacers being interested in Al Jefferson.

I think this is just :bs: People just think this cause we drafted Leonard, but trading him for George should kill this rumor.

I like the trade. Leonard doesn't fit on this team at all. Hill, could very well be our starting PG. We needed a guy who can score in our back court and Hill can do just that from the 1 and 2.

Mourning
06-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Aggreed with Kstat on the talent perspective. We lose out a bit there, but I have to say I really do like Hill. We get another player in the backcourt who is a decent defender and who can play both guard positions, can score and has experience and learned to play in the NBA in one of the best organizations, something that is important aswell. Seems to me Price is a goner.

Not sure about including #42 and the rights to Lorbek, but I don't see it hurting us too much if it's too much to give up, so I'm meh on that. I can live with that.

HC
06-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Andrew Perna:Leonard's eyes lit up on the podium when told that he could be headed from Indiana to San Antonio. #NBA2 minutes ago

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz1Q9ZtyEPS

ilive4sports
06-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Oh and who were we getting at 42? And Lorbeck is worthless so... People need to stop acting like their the second round pick or Lorbeck actually mean something.

docpaul
06-23-2011, 09:50 PM
I am dumbfounded by anyone who'd be upset with getting George Hill, a known rising talented guard, for the 15th pick and a second round pick in this draft?

The kid is quality across the board, and really wants to be in Indy. I think this is a great, great move.

Great locker room presence, and provides a really really nice back court defensive option that's a proven talent?

Very complementary player to Stephenson.

Sign me up!

Ozwalt72
06-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Solid trade. I'd have loved to keep Kawhi, but this is definitely solid.

BringJackBack
06-23-2011, 09:51 PM
This is an awesome trade. We need more two-way players, and George Hill is just waiting to have a break out year as he's been the sixth man of a championship team for some time now. This is a guy who can create for himself a bit, and play defense.

For a guy in Kawhi Leonard who won't be a factor on offense for 2-3 years from now, and a second round pick.

If I woke up today and was told, "We are trading our pick for George Hill today," I would have wet the bed.

06-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Pop just robbed the Pacers.

06-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Pop just robbed the Pacers. Hill is a career backup

Lance George
06-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Kawhi Leonard is another Julian Wright. Nice length and athleticism to be a solid rebounder and defender in the NCAA, but a lack of offense will kill his NBA hopes and dreams. I don't think too highly of George Hill, but it's a fair deal. I'm just disappointed we moved #42, too.

bphil
06-23-2011, 09:59 PM
I hate this. Leonard was a gift at 15, a freak. Hill is an 11/2/2 guy who actually regressed last year. And why didnt we get SAs first round pick? Bird got worked. Not happy at all right now.

PacerFreak31
This trade sucks majorly! You don't give up all of that for just Hill. He is just another short 6'2" PG that is a hometown player. I don't know what Larry is thinking except how he can help out the Spurs. If he can't get us another late first I will love all faith in him. You don't give up those picks for a backup point guard when you already have DC on the roster. DC, George, and Granger are going to get most of the minutes so you give up someone with real talent for a backup PG. Not a smart draft by the Pacers at ALL!!!!!

jcouts
I'm thrilled about the trade...in George Hill we're talking about a guy that Popovich said a year or two ago was his favorite player on a Spurs team with Tim Duncan on it (sparked by him saying that Bonner knew he wasn't his favorite player...he was then asked who was).

We're getting a proven point guard at the NBA level who we'll be able to put on guys like Rose, Rondo, Billups and even Wade or Westbrook. I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting for us over Collison at some point in the season.

Lorbek wasn't ever going to play a game for us. Barac will find his way here before Lorbek would so I have no issue with Lorbek being included.

Do I think we should have given up the 42nd pick too? I'm borderline on that, but Larry traded to get the pick for Lance last year, if I recall correctly...if there's someone that he really wants, he'll make a swap a future 2nd rounder type of trade to get him.

Maybe there's someone that Larry is targeting that he doesn't think would fall all the way to 42 in the second round? Or someone that he thinks he can get after that?

Chuck Chillout
06-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Not so good.

joeco
06-23-2011, 10:02 PM
does this mean that Larry's 2 guys werent there or did he have possible deals lined up to take on an auto team need filler?

ensergio
06-23-2011, 10:07 PM
I really like it. Hill is a proven player, still with upside and great defense. Lorbek wasn't coming, #42 is a unknown, and Leonard would be a backup for years.

15th parallel
06-23-2011, 10:11 PM
This is a solid trade. Hill is a solid 1/2 player who can provide stability at backcourt.

He's a proven player, and he can be a big help especially that our current PGs are still young (tenure-wise).

D-BONE
06-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Agree that Hall regressed notably last year. Why would Pop trade him if he still held him in high regard? I don't know. I'll give it a chance, but I think his a backup/complementary piece at best to give up Leonard plus the other two parts.

Young
06-23-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't think it is an awful deal for the Pacers but it might be one they "lose".

Talent wise, i'd rather have Kawhi. I do wonder why he fell but he is talented and is known as a gym rat. Plus the Spurs must really like him. If the Spurs like him there is a good chance he turns out to be a pretty good player.

I have mixed feelings on Hill. I think he makes the Pacers better in the short term but long term what is he? Is he better than Collison? IDK. I hope Hill works out in Indiana though.

odeez
06-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Good trade, gives us more depth and brings a home town guy that has playoff experience and a great reputation. I liked what we were getting in Leonard, but can live with this deal. I got a feeling that Price could be on the outs.

Kegboy
06-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Aggreed with Kstat on the talent perspective. We lose out a bit there, but I have to say I really do like Hill. We get another player in the backcourt who is a decent defender who can play both guard positions and get score and has experience and learned to play in the NBA in one of the best organizations, something that is important aswell. Seems to me Price is a goner.

Not sure about including #42 and the rights to Lorbek, but I don't see it hurting as too much if it's too much to give up, so I'm meh on that. I can live with that.

Very good point Mourning.

Hell yes I'm happy with this trade. Hill isn't the best fit for our existing roster, but who knows what we'll look like by the start of the season. Regardless, he's a great talent that's still improving.

I'd be interested in knowing if those who aren't happy had actually seen Leonard play, or are they simply going off his mock draft stock, which obviously didn't hold up too well.

xBulletproof
06-23-2011, 10:16 PM
If we had George Hill against Chicago we probably win a couple of games. Then Paul George can stay on Korver/Bogans and they're not shooting those 3's over a guy half their size.

If Granger gets his head on straight on the defensive end, imagine the defense that could be played with a lineup of Hill-Paul George-Granger. Now we need a good defensive PF.

xBulletproof
06-23-2011, 10:16 PM
If we had George Hill against Chicago we probably win a couple of games. Then Paul George can stay on Korver/Bogans and they're not shooting those 3's over a guy half their size.

If Granger gets his head on straight on the defensive end, imagine the defense that could be played with a lineup of Hill-Paul George-Granger. Now we need a good defensive PF.

ilive4sports
06-23-2011, 10:18 PM
To all the people upset about trading Leonard away, What was he going to do here?

QuickRelease
06-23-2011, 10:20 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N_GJ6T2aFx4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A.B.Hollywood
06-23-2011, 10:20 PM
So this thread just taught me how little Pacers fans seem to know about Hill's game.

George Hill is a stud. If he was on the Pacers he would be just as valuable as Paul George to us. I honestly laughed when I read the title of this thread even thinking "who could possibly not like this?"

Dude will become a fan favorite here and FAST.

Trader Joe
06-23-2011, 10:22 PM
The funny thing is I'd bet my left foot most people upset about losing Leonard haven't even seen him play.

McKeyFan
I like the trade.

A draft pick is going to take one to two years minimum to be all that helpful. We need help now, not another project.

Hill is a combo guard and can take up the scoring slack. It could be that he has a lot more scoring punch than we realize, being in the shadow of Parker, Ginobli, etc.

We drafted a small forward, and our two best players are small forwards. Getting Hill is a smart move. Plus, the games I've seen Hill seems like a gamer. Shows up strong in clutch moments. That's on the top of my list of things I look for.

Where's the 2-guard?

cdash
06-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Agree that Hall regressed notably last year. Why would Pop trade him if he still held him in high regard? I don't know. I'll give it a chance, but I think his a backup/complementary piece at best to give up Leonard plus the other two parts.

You have to give value to get value.

ensergio
06-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Spurs fans reaction: http://espn.go.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/3438/george-hill

beast23
06-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Jeesh people..... try and evaluate exactly what we got. Hill is a great 6th man and plays over 30 minutes a game. He's a double figure scorer and gets about 5 rbs a game. A great FT shooter. We might have just gotten one of the best possible backup PGs we could get our hands on... as well as a hometown kid that might energize our fans.

Now, I'll also admit that we are now overstocked in our back court. DC, AJ, Hill, Lance, Rush, George. I'm guessing someone in addition to Rush is going to be traded. If Bird's not bluffing about Lance, I'd say Rush and AJ will BOTH be traded.

vnzla81
06-23-2011, 10:30 PM
I like the trade, I think we got our starting point guard, DC better start kicking a$$ next year.

rock747
06-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Interesting, seems like fans are split 50-50 on this deal. I am not sure. One thing is for sure this site is packed right now. Took me forever to load.

Constellations
06-23-2011, 10:32 PM
All of you who are sooooo upset about this trade, really need to lighten up. This is a great deal for us. He has experience, a winning attitude, maturity, and a very bright future in the NBA.

Nobody knows even Leonard even had a future in the NBA. He could get pushed around like a stuffed animal, or, he could have been a good defensive/rebounding bench player. WE DON'T KNOW. I would much rather have a guy that has a guaranteed future in the NBA over a guy who might not. If he turns out to be a good player, that's fine, we still have one in Hill.

If you saw him play in SA, then you SHOULD be excited to have him on our team. I myself, see a great Pacers season in the making.

Anthem
06-23-2011, 10:34 PM
This was supposed to be a poll, but PD bombed out and I couldn't get the poll to post. Ah well.

imawhat
I hate it. Now we have three shooting guards trapped in point guard's bodies with no court vision.

I actually like Hill, and I think he'd be a great complement with Lance if Lance ever works out, but we had Kawhi Leonard.

I feel the same as I did after the Bayless trade.

Swish
Did anybody else notice that Leonard was NOT excited about coming here? When they cut to him after the pick was announced, he was visibly disappointed. Not exactly the attitude I want coming here.

Anthem
06-23-2011, 10:35 PM
The funny thing is I'd bet my left foot most people upset about losing Leonard haven't even seen him play.
Feels like Bayless all over again... guy gets mocked high, falls steadily throughout the draft, then moved for a proven player.

The #29 would have been nice, but it still feels like a good move.

IndySDExport
06-23-2011, 10:36 PM
I disagree with the talent gap people are professing to. Kawhi fell to 15 in one of the weakest drafts possible. We grabbed George Hill, a solid and proven role player and hometown hero, form a perennial playoff team. I'll take it with a smile.

I wonder, where would George Hill have fallen in this draft. We have over analyzed this draft board for over a month and become (because we've been bored) attached to certain players, even seeing Kawhi as a steel because he dropped. Where would he have fit last year or the year before, and where would George Hill compared to that?

I think this trade is a good deal.

sopgy
I am super excited about getting Geroge Hill. Seems like a good fit four out team. We are building a very solid roster. At the least, we are acquiring assets to deal.

I don't think any of us really know enough about Kwahi, but a lot depends on how he develops. Kind of like Bayless. I have trust in Bird that he can evaluate talent and Kudos to him for bringing in a solid player

15th parallel
Some people forget this, but he has started and evolved his game under the Spurs, who are constantly on the playoffs, who were coached by the great Pop, who played together with the likes of Duncan, Manu and Parker. Not only he brings playoff experience, he also brings leadership to this team.

PacersHomer
06-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Oh yeah, pick 42 mattered a bunch. Our previous success in the 2nd round with stars like Magnum Rolle and James White clearly shows that the 2nd round is a breeding ground for superstars.

Love getting George home.

PacersHomer
06-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Oh yeah, pick 42 mattered a bunch. Our previous success in the 2nd round with stars like Magnum Rolle and James White clearly shows that the 2nd round is a breeding ground for superstars.

Love getting George home.

ECKrueger
06-23-2011, 10:41 PM
I am very happy. Definitely wish we got another pick somewhere, but I can live with it.

jeffg-body
I really lik this trade. Maybe we can now focus on getting a proven 4 so that we can move tyler to the second unit.

Sookie
I don't know what to think. I don't think all of our "PGs" will stay. If I had to guess, Price will be the one to get traded, (In fact, I'm surprised San Antonio didn't want him included, seeing as they had no backup..but then turned around and drafted someone whose NBA comparison is AJ..) but it could be DC in a bigger package for a PF/SG.

I hold San Antonio's opinion in high regard, so they were high on George, so he's a good pickup. I'm not sure how it's going to work though..is he going to be the starting SG? Is he going to be the backup PG? Is he going to backup both? He'll provide some scoring from the SG position when we play him there.

On the other side, San Antonio liked Leonard enough to get rid of Hill. That makes me question..be wary of trades with the Spurs. I of course, haven't seen Leonard play, but it's not going to shock me if he ends up being quite good.

What I get a kick out of...is how we can't manage to trade Rush, and yet got rid of the rights to Lorbek..

PacerFreak31
06-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Things I don't like about Hill... 25 years old, 6'2" combo guard that regressed this year, his defense is overrated, and again if the Spurs held him in such high regard he would have been kept and not traded for the number 15 pick in a decent at best draft. The thing that sucks most is a lot of the local beat writers will love this trade because we bring a local guy "back home" and it gives them something to write about. We did not get better with this trade. We are not going to win more games because of Hill. I find it VERY hard to believe this was the best Larry could do with the 15th pick. To give up the 42nd in addition is just crazy. Way to much for someone that will only be a backup point guard and who will get destroyed by Rose, Westbrook, Wade, ect....

beast23
06-23-2011, 10:42 PM
If you saw him play in SA, then you SHOULD be excited to have him on our team. I myself, see a great Pacers season in the making.
Well... I don't know that getting Hill alone makes me see a great season in the making.

BUT... we now have a PG capable of keeping his posterior between his man and the basket to help prevent pentration into the lane. That to me is a major positive. Hill is obviously a player that Larry refers to in his desire to strengthen our bench. Whether Collison starts or Hill starts, the player coming off the bench will definitely strengthen the second unit. I personally don't see much of a drop-off in talent coming off the bench, no matter who starts.

Now, if we can just manage to acquire a PF that would make it logical for Tyler to come off the bench, I'd say we are well on our way to that 45 or more wins we were all arguing about yesterday. An additional SG (after trading Rush/AJ) wouldn't hurt us much either.

Cryyin
06-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Similar situation to the year we drafted Bayless. He was projected mid-lotto and dropped to us. Everyone was excited that an expected high pick fell to us. Then we flipped him for Rush, etc. leading to the constant discussions about who would be the better player.

Same scenario this year of a mid-lotto pick dropping to us. Im guessing we will endure some more comparisons over the next couple years with Hill vs. Leonard.

Before the trade was announced, I wanted Leonard, having not seen him play, based only on his projected draft position. Having said that, Im more than fine with Hill.

Didnt Bird say he would like to move a couple starters to the bench? Maybe this is the first step.

Justin Tyme
06-23-2011, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=docpaul;1256815]

Very complementary player to Stephenson. QUOTE]

Complementary?? It says to me Stephenson is all Bird's smoke n mirrors. Bird just traded for Price and Stephen's replacement. Possibly Collison's replacement.

Food for thought: Hill wiil be starting PG, Stephenson b/u PG, and Collison traded along with Rush/Dahntay for a big. Just a thought.

ilive4sports
06-23-2011, 10:45 PM
I can't see hill starting at the two because our back court would be super small. Only way he starts is over DC.

Haywoode Workman
06-23-2011, 10:46 PM
yes george hill is my blood brother!!!! we both got tattoos from the same dude haha!!!

cdash
06-23-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't know what to think. I don't think all of our "PGs" will stay. If I had to guess, Price will be the one to get traded, but it could be DC in a bigger package for a PF/SG.

I hold San Antonio's opinion in high regard, so they were high on George, so he's a good pickup. I'm not sure how it's going to work though..is he going to be the starting SG? Is he going to be the backup PG? Is he going to backup both? He'll provide some scoring from the SG position when we play him there.

On the other side, San Antonio liked Leonard enough to get rid of Hill. That makes me question..be wary of trades with the Spurs. I of course, haven't seen Leonard play, but it's not going to shock me if he ends up being quite good.

What I get a kick out of...is how we can't manage to trade Rush, and yet got rid of the rights to Lorbek..

I think he plays both. He will be the first guy off the bench for us, and I think he will get minutes and both the 1 and the 2. Matchups will dictate it I would guess.

I like the deal. I like Leonard and wanted him, but he wasn't a great fit here and we don't really need any more young guys. Hill will come in here and play good defense and solid offense while giving us around 25-30 mpg. Solid deal, not great, not bad.

Swish
06-23-2011, 10:49 PM
So is 42 officially a part of this trade? When it was talked about on ESPN, it was talked about like it was Leonard for Hill straight up.

judicata
06-23-2011, 10:50 PM
At worst Hill has shown that he is a fantastic first guard off the bench, and it remains to be seen if he can elevate his game. He has performed admirably for the Spurs in critical situations.

Everyone wants to fix our starting lineup, but that was never going to happen in this draft and Leonard sure as hell wasn't going to see the lineup. Hill has a good chance at blossoming here and being something special.

Hill and Hansbrough off the bench will outscore pretty much every second string line up in the league. I know we need the guys in the starting line up, but we have some money for that (hopefully).

Justin Tyme
06-23-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm just disappointed we moved #42, too.

YOU AND ME BOTH!!

ilive4sports
06-23-2011, 10:53 PM
42 is a part of the trade. I like how people are using Hills age against him. He is 25. Not 32.

QuickRelease
06-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Who is at 42 that you guys are so bummed about missing out on?

aaronb
06-23-2011, 10:57 PM
I like the trade. To me it almost makes up for getting rid of Jerryd Bayless when we did.

I think Hill is our new starting PG and if everyone else stays put. We are a high 30's team and an 8th seed contender again next year.

Leonard didn't make sense with George and Granger already here.

troyc11a
06-23-2011, 10:57 PM
YOU AND ME BOTH!!

Why? There is very little chance the 2nd rd pick even makes the team. Especially in this draft. This is not the NFL where starters are routinely drafted in the second round. Most of these 1st rd picks will be out of the league in 5 years too.

jrockne
06-23-2011, 10:59 PM
I think we have to be happy with this trade. We get a solid guard instead of unproven talent at one of our log jam positions. We couldn't have drafted Hill at 15 in this years draft, that's for sure. I just would like to see some more to come.

cdash
06-23-2011, 10:59 PM

The next Lance Stephenson!

troyc11a
06-23-2011, 11:01 PM
The next Lance Stephenson!

Lance could have been a lottery pick this year if he would have stayed in school.

Unclebuck
06-23-2011, 11:02 PM
I love the trade. George hill will help right away

Good bye Brandon Rush

Trophy
06-23-2011, 11:03 PM
We gave up Davis Bertans. We didn't care about that.

aaronb
06-23-2011, 11:03 PM

I hope its Josh Selby

PR07
06-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Can we acquire a pick for cash?

DemonHunter1105
06-23-2011, 11:04 PM
George Hill was the only player on the Spurs I could admit to liking. Adding him to the Pacers + removing him from the Spurs = WIN for me.

Justin Tyme
06-23-2011, 11:05 PM

I'm not sure you can give him away!

BlueNGold
06-23-2011, 11:07 PM
I am very happy with this trade because George Hill is a very good player. Yes, there is no surprise factor. However, I consider Hill to be a better player than Brandon Rush and a more complete player than Hibbert and Hansborough. He has been the best player on the Spurs at times and I think that says an awful lot.

PacersForever
06-23-2011, 11:08 PM
PLEASE GET A PICK FOR CASH AND DRAFT JOSH SELBY. That would make my night.

IndyPacer
06-23-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm not especially pleased about this trade. Why did we have to give up both draft picks and Lorbek? Plus, this is San Antonio we're talking about. If they called me about wanting a player, I would hang up and keep that player. I would also be pretty hestitant to give up Leonard specifically. I was very surprised that he was available. I think this deal will be better for the Spurs long term.

I DO NOT CARE that Hill is from Indiana. I'm sure many are excited about that aspect. I am not. I want the best deal and most talent possible. I feel like we should have at least got a pick out of this deal.

Unclebuck
06-23-2011, 11:10 PM
And I don't give a hoot that he is from Indy. I wouldn't care if he was from Mars

rock747
06-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Birds interview keeps getting pushed back? Maybe he has something in the works?

Sandman21
06-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Interesting, seems like fans are split 50-50 on this deal. I am not sure. One thing is for sure this site is packed right now. Took me forever to load.

It wasn't 50-50 at Conseco, at least in Area 55........ :laugh:

Justin Tyme
06-23-2011, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=PacersHomer;1256869]

Oh yeah, pick 42 mattered a bunch. Our previous success in the 2nd round with stars like Magnum Rolle and James White clearly shows that the 2nd round is a breeding ground for superstars. /QUOTE]

Your sarcasm is duly noted but there have been numerous good 2nd round players over the years. Both CHARLES JENKINS and SELBY would have been available to the Pacers. My feeling is both could be as good if not better than George Hill.

xBulletproof
06-23-2011, 11:17 PM

You want a 5 PG lineup with Lance at center and Hill at PF, or what?

ilive4sports
06-23-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm not especially pleased about this trade. Why did we have to give up both draft picks and Lorbek? Plus, this is San Antonio we're talking about. If they called me about wanting a player, I would hang up and keep that player. I would also be pretty hestitant to give up Leonard specifically. I was very surprised that he was available. I think this deal will be better for the Spurs long term.

I DO NOT CARE that Hill is from Indiana. I'm sure many are excited about that aspect. I am not. I want the best deal and most talent possible. I feel like we should have at least got a pick out of this deal.

So if we made this exact trade with the Clippers you would feel much more comfortable?

BoomBaby31
06-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Crazy Mixed emotions. Hill is a very safe trade. I like it because we are blossoming and are waiting on PG and Hib to develop (and many others). Hill is ready and you know what you are getting. We needed a good backup Point (potential starter) and switch 2 guard. With Leonard we are hoping and waiting for 2-4 years. Plus, how much floor time is he going to get playing behind Danny? It was a good trade, I just came to that conclusion. Had to talk it through, lol...

Now lets get us a good PF!!!

aaronb
06-23-2011, 11:21 PM

I really think they need to buy a pick for Selby.

Prime example of a guy you can get and stash/develop in Ft. Wayne for a year or two. I don't really see a downside in having Selby and Lance be the starting backcourt in Ft. Wayne next year?

PacersHomer
06-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Josh Selby has way too many character concerns and Charles Jenkins? You're stretching. Bird has batted about .000 in the 2nd round. It's worth it to get a 6th man like George Hill.

rabid
06-23-2011, 11:23 PM
I like the trade.

- We have plenty of youth and "project" players right now. Now we need proven players to compliment them. Hill was a solid backup PG on the West's number 1 seed this year, let's not forget.
- 42nd pick: see above, plus a weak draft = meh
- Lorbek's rights are probably worthless, I doubt he comes here
- Leonard wouldn't get any minutes here anyway with George and Danny in front of him, and Hill gives us more immediate help than anyone else left in the draft

On paper it looks like we gave up a lot, but when you look at each piece - 15, 42, Lorbek - and how little any of them would have met our immediate needs - we really did pretty well here.

Now I wonder what the Spurs are up to, since the rumor is they're also shopping Parker

Also, I wonder if Larry only did this deal because the guys he wanted were already taken

LA_Confidential
I'm numb to this move. I understand it but really don't have a reaction to it either way. Is Hill a starting caliber pg? If so then I can live with it.

Trophy
If we want Selby, we're gonna need to get him through Memphis now.

PR07
06-23-2011, 11:24 PM
I'd rather trade and get David Lighty.

Sookie
06-23-2011, 11:27 PM
You want a 5 PG lineup with Lance at center and Hill at PF, or what?

It's not a Pacers season unless we go into it with 4 backup point guards on the roster.

edit: Is the trade official? It's just been proposed right? I wonder what is taking so long.

tsm612
06-23-2011, 11:28 PM
It wasn't 50-50 at Conseco, at least in Area 55........ :laugh:

What was the reaction from Area 55?

Young
06-23-2011, 11:31 PM
I'd rather trade and get David Lighty.

You might not have to trade for him.

esabyrn333
06-23-2011, 11:32 PM
It's not a Pacers season unless we go into it with 4 backup point guards on the roster.

edit: Is the trade official? It's just been proposed right? I wonder what is taking so long.

Pretty sure we had to pick at 42 before they could start processing it should be final soon

Justin Tyme
06-23-2011, 11:33 PM
I have no problem getting George Hill. I have been putting Lorbek/Stanko in possible trades for a year, so that doesn't bother me. I don't like giving up the #42 in this trade.

The obvious thing from this draft is Bird is going to have to go to work on getting some Bigs. I don't see a Big coming from FA, so that leaves having to trade for a Big or 2.

Pacer Fan
06-23-2011, 11:37 PM
I love the trade...I think we are lucky to get Hill and his contract back home. We got a proven talent for possibly nothing. Time will tell how Leonard will develope. But in the meantime we have a solid player. If this is the way Larry is going forward, with hard work and alittle luck in future trades / FA, Pacers could be in contention quicker then we thought!

beast23
06-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Both CHARLES JENKINS and SELBY would have been available to the Pacers. My feeling is both could be as good if not better than George Hill.
Well, I have an opinion of that, but don't want to post it... I wouldn't want to tromp all over your "feelings".

PR07
06-23-2011, 11:39 PM
What's not to like? The Pacers came in needing a guard who can score the ball and create his own shot. They not only got one, but they got a proven one on the NBA level who's young.

Sandman21
06-23-2011, 11:40 PM
What was the reaction from Area 55?

It was probably about 20 or 30 seconds after the Leonard pick that someone yelled that it was going to be traded for George Hill. 5 seconds later, someone confirms and all hell broke loose.

Reaction was VERY positive in Area 55.

BringJackBack
06-23-2011, 11:40 PM
I am not buying that Selby or Jenkins could ever be as good as George Hill. That's underrating George Hill. George, in his third year, was the 6th man of the best team in the entire NBA.

vnzla81
06-23-2011, 11:41 PM
I love the trade. George hill will help right away

Good bye Brandon Rush

I actually think that is good bye AJ

Edit: maybe good buy DC?

Justin Tyme
06-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Josh Selby has way too many character concerns and Charles Jenkins? You're stretching.

YOU KNOW THIS HOW??

LoneGranger33
06-23-2011, 11:44 PM
I'm just glad we didn't lose Stanko.

CableKC
AJ is much better suited to be an emergency backup PG and 3rd string backup PG....he's cheap and we know what he is capable of doing.

ilive4sports

I think its both.

PR07
06-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Yeah, Price would actually be a good 3rd PG. I don't know if he'd accept that role, and maybe someone pays him to be a primary backup due to hitting some big shots in the playoffs.

CableKC
Exactly....Stanko not only has the better name....but I've read that he's actually pretty solid. I really wouldn't be surprised if it leaks that the Spurs ( with their knack for scouting really good International Players ) were interested in Stanko...not Lorbek. My total guess is that the Spurs wanted Leonard + Stanko and Bird countered with Leonard + Lorbek + 42.

TBird had mentioned that he's heard that one of the two are coming to Indy this season.....with Lorbek gone....I hope that means that Stanko is coming over to fill Foster's seat in the lineup.

I hope that TBird comments on whether Stanko was the one that he heard was coming over or not.

BringJackBack
Too damn bad that Bird always pulls out of deals.. Getting that cold feet all the time. George would have been a nice player for us.

Young
06-23-2011, 11:47 PM
What's not to like? The Pacers came in needing a guard who can score the ball and create his own shot. They not only got one, but they got a proven one on the NBA level who's young.

I think what bugs a lot of people is that Kawhi was projected to go higher but fell. Everyone loves to feel like they got a "steal". It doesn't matter if you are buying a car, something off craigslist, or if your favorite team is drafting. If Kawhi was projected to be picked at 20 I don't think many would care.

There are a couple of things that worry me about this trade. One is that it was made with the Spurs. How often do the Spurs not come ahead in trades? I heard all along how much they love George Hill so they must REALLY see something in Kawhi. Or maybe they see Hill as a backup? For me...this is what has me worried. If the trade was made with about any other team I probably wouldn't have these same feelings.

With that said I am not against the deal for the Pacers.

beast23
06-23-2011, 11:47 PM
I think it is goodbye to both.... DJ got more of the important minutes than either of AJ and Rush. I think with Hill and DC, AJ gets no minutes. And I think with DJ backing up George, Rush gets no minutes.

Both AJ and Rush are gone.

Still a lot of work today, but the trade filled a need with a solid player.

Sookie
06-23-2011, 11:48 PM

I think they both aren't going to be here. Unless Larry sees Hill as the starting SG. (Or unless one of Hill/DC gets traded for a big)

I'm actually surprised that AJ wasn't included. The Spurs don't have a backup PG, other than the project they just drafted.

Hoop
06-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Yes, we can still bring the Stank, gotta love that! :D

PR07
06-23-2011, 11:50 PM
I think what bugs a lot of people is that Kawhi was projected to go higher but fell. Everyone loves to feel like they got a "steal". It doesn't matter if you are buying a car, something off craigslist, or if your favorite team is drafting. If Kawhi was projected to be picked at 20 I don't think many would care.

There are a couple of things that worry me about this trade. One is that it was made with the Spurs. How often do the Spurs not come ahead in trades? I heard all along how much they love George Hill so they must REALLY see something in Kawhi. Or maybe they see Hill as a backup? For me...this is what has me worried. If the trade was made with about any other team I probably wouldn't have these same feelings.

With that said I am not against the deal for the Pacers.

True, but even if Leonard pans out, where does he play for us?

And, it's not like the Spurs organization doesn't make mistakes. Case in point: Richard Jefferson.

idioteque
Too damn bad that Bird always pulls out of deals.. Getting that cold feet all the time. George would have been a nice player for us.

Wait a minute, what?

Deadshot
This makes the second year in a row where we end up trading for a backup whose starting PG is rumored to be heavily shopped. I doubt this is our actual strategy but I think it makes for an interesting coincidence.

Frostwolf
06-23-2011, 11:51 PM
this isn't stanko we traded, but lorbek... lorbek, according to someone on here with knowledge on the matter (or was it a brunner piece? i forget), was very unlikely to come over, while stanko is very close.

anyway, i like this trade, in that we finally get a very good backup/change of pace point guard. hill will probably play 25 or so minutes for us at both guard positions, and he still has time to grow.

vnzla81
06-23-2011, 11:53 PM
I think they both aren't going to be here. Unless Larry sees Hill as the starting SG. (Or unless one of Hill/DC gets traded for a big)

I'm actually surprised that AJ wasn't included. The Spurs don't have a backup PG, other than the project they just drafted.

I'm pretty sure SA watched AJ last year ;)

Frostwolf
06-23-2011, 11:54 PM

:laugh:

BringJackBack
06-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Wait a minute, what?

I'm being sarcastic and mocking the people who say its all our fault. :laugh:

idioteque
06-23-2011, 11:55 PM

You got me, I thought we had a Mayo situation all over again.

cramerica
06-23-2011, 11:56 PM
I live in San Antonio and people here LOVE George Hill. Alot love him more than Parker and wanted Parker gone first. I don't know what the current reactions are but I'll find out tomorrow.

Sookie
06-23-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm pretty sure SA watched AJ last year ;)

They watched him in the playoffs too. ;)

And regardless of how you feel about him..uh..the Spurs need a backup point guard..

And it's official.

edit: WTF Ater...did they know he sucks?

troyc11a
06-23-2011, 11:59 PM
AJ is much better suited to be an emergency backup PG and 3rd string backup PG....he's cheap and we know what he is capable of doing.

If AJ is our 3rd pg = What about Lance?
There has to be another deal in the works. Maybe this is why Larry was bragging up Lance so much this week.

Pacer Fan
06-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Its official!!!

CableKC
06-24-2011, 12:00 AM
I think it is goodbye to both.... DJ got more of the important minutes than either of AJ and Rush. I think with Hill and DC, AJ gets no minutes. And I think with DJ backing up George, Rush gets no minutes.

Still a lot of work today, but the trade filled a need with a solid player.

There has to be another deal in the works. Maybe this is why Larry was bragging up Lance so much this week.
This is what I don't get....I am not sold YET on Lance being that 3rd PG that can fill role of "emergency PG" if either DC or GH goes down. Keeping AJ is as much insurance for DC and GH then it is for Lance not panning out for one reason or another.

kellogg
06-24-2011, 12:02 AM
I'd always be nervous dealing with the Spurs, but let's face it, Leonard isn't better than DG or PG, and may never be. He certainly was not going to bump them from the starting lineup.

Hill was the 6th best player on the best team in the west...and an argument could be made that if he were in the east, or on many other teams not named NO, he might well have started. At least we won't have to suffer watching D Rose run over DC, or run around AJ as much.

NewEra
is larry still doing a post draft press conference?

Justin Tyme

Where does this put Stephenson?

AesopRockOn
06-24-2011, 12:03 AM
I came into this draft pretty much only thinking 'trade the pick.' After it's done, I can't say I'm upset, maybe just hoped for a little more. I think I wanted a grand finale before the lockout.

Meanwhile, we still need a player as good as Danny. How strange would it be if the next time we're legitimately discussing the roster make up, it's the trade deadline two months into the season?

Sookie
This is what I don't get....I am not sold YET on Lance being that 3rd PG that can fill role of "emergency PG" if either DC or GH goes down. Keeping AJ is as much insurance for DC and GH then it is for Lance not panning out for one reason or another.

It's really strange..after talking about Lance so much, he just made it darn near impossible for Lance to crack the lineup this season....unless there will be trades.

vnzla81

AJ is as much insurance as James posey at PF and Center, they both suck.

aaronb
06-24-2011, 12:04 AM

Lance needs to spend the year in Ft. Wayne actually playing so he can develop and earn a spot.

Take a page from the Spurs and let the prospects develop somewhere other than the inactive list.

ilive4sports
06-24-2011, 12:06 AM
It's really strange..after talking about Lance so much, he just made it darn near impossible for Lance to crack the lineup this season....unless there will be trades.

Well if AJ and Rush are traded I can see Lance getting some playing time. He can play the 1 and 2 like Hill while Inferno backs up Danny.

Kid Minneapolis
06-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Well, I'm torn.

On one hand, I think, "Oh, cool, we brought home Hill, and he's a decent player, and all we had to give up was a couple of draft picks."

But my other hand says (yes, my hand said it), "WHAT?? We gave up two draft picks for a backup PG???"

So I'm torn. And then there's this niggling feeling in my mind that we're going to regret passing on Brooks or Faried... I like Hill, but I'm not sure he's what's going to take us to the next level.

We'll see, I guess.

Pacemaker
06-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Is the presser on?

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 12:07 AM

See how the roster shapes out. Can you keep 4 pg's today? I know Lance and Hill can play the 2. So that helps. I would like to see one year of consistency off the court from "Born Entitled" before I gave away AJ.

CableKC
06-24-2011, 12:08 AM
this isn't stanko we traded, but lorbek... lorbek, according to someone on here with knowledge on the matter (or was it a brunner piece? i forget), was very unlikely to come over, while stanko is very close.
Also...I recall that TBird said that he had knowledge that one of them COULD be heading Stateside soon.

I think it was Brunner that had a piece on Stanko and that this was the time for it to happen.

Heisenberg
I'm maybe 40/60 against. Don't know much about Leonard, but don't see him playing the 4...ever, so I understand moving him. I feel like we overpaid though. Don't care about Lorbek, he wasn't coming over. But him + 42 was too much in my opinion, Hill for Leonard straight up would've been much more desirable, or Kawhi + Lorbek + 42 for Hill + 29.

It's not a huge deal, a 2nd rounder and a Euro we'd never see. I very much like getting Hill, just don't think we negotiated it very well.

ilive4sports
Lance needs to spend the year in Ft. Wayne actually playing so he can develop and earn a spot.

Take a page from the Spurs and let the prospects develop somewhere other than the inactive list.

I don't think management trusts Lance away from the team.

beast23
06-24-2011, 12:10 AM
This is what I don't get....I am not sold YET on Lance being that 3rd PG that can fill role of "emergency PG" if either DC or GH goes down. Keeping AJ is as much insurance for DC and GH then it is for Lance not panning out for one reason or another.I agree with that, but based on all comments by Bird, I don't think Bird agrees with that at all.

Also, we were already overstocked at the wings. Now, with Hill coming in and able to play PG and a little SG under specific circumstances as well, we are tremendously overstocked. Since we were obviously already looking to trade Rush, I think one more player is added to the list of those the Pacers would like to trade. And I don't think the addition would be DJ or Lance, therefore it would almost have to be AJ.

Therefore, my conclusion that Bird will want to trade both Rush and AJ... as well as Posey (if possible).

IndyPacer
06-24-2011, 12:11 AM
And I don't give a hoot that he is from Indy. I wouldn't care if he was from Mars

You don't think that has an influence on many people's opinion of this trade? Have a look around at the "Hill is coming home!!!!" posts.

I do not have a problem with Hill. I think he's a very good player, but I would have liked at least an extra pick or something. I think we could have at least got a decent backup out of this draft. I expected to someone decent to fall to our second round pick, and I would have taken Selby with that pick. Darius Morris almost fell to that spot as well.

Sookie
06-24-2011, 12:11 AM
I agree with that, but based on all comments by Bird, I don't think Bird agrees with that at all.

Also, we were already overstocked at the wings. Now, with Hill coming in and able to play PG and a little SG under specific circumstances as well, we are tremendously overstocked. Since we were obviously already looking to trade Rush, I think one more player is added to the list of those the Pacers would like to trade. And I don't think the addition would be DJ or Lance, therefore it would almost have to be AJ.

Therefore, my conclusion that Bird will want to trade both Rush and AJ... as well as Posey (if possible).

The only other possibility is that he is using DC + Rush + Posey (expiring) for a big.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm maybe 40/60 against. Don't know much about Leonard, but don't see him playing the 4...ever, so I understand moving him. I feel like we overpaid though. Don't care about Lorbek, he wasn't coming over. But him + 42 was too much in my opinion, Hill for Leonard straight up would've been much more desirable, or Kawhi + Lorbek + 42 for Hill + 29.

It's not a huge deal, a 2nd rounder and a Euro we'd never see. I very much like getting Hill, just don't think we negotiated it very well.

On paper it does seem like a lot to give up and I understand you and others questioning it. But remember the old rule we hear is that the team that gets the better player wins the deal. There is no question we got the best player. We did give up a lot in "volume", but we gave up next to nothing in value.
Leonard = no pt for 2 years. Also no position.
Lorbek = never coming over
42nd = cut by end of training camp most likely.
Hill? = starting or backup combo guard.

Bird added a good piece without giving up anything that hurt us. 100% for this deal.

Strummer
06-24-2011, 12:13 AM
I was scratching my head wondering what we were going to do with Leonard. A defensive stopper at SF off the bench? We already have that in Dahntay.

So I was expecting a trade to move back a few spots in the first round. I think George Hill is better than the players we could have gotten after #15 if that had happened. And we know what we're getting with him, many late first round picks don't pan out.

I know how George Hill can help us. He gives us a solid option at PG and he's in his prime. Whether he winds up as a starter or backup, he'll be an upgrade.

I wish we hadn't had to give up #42 also, but I assume it was necessary.

I'm not elated, but the guys that had me excited were already off the board at #15 anyway. So I'm feeling ok with this.

aaronb
06-24-2011, 12:15 AM
I don't think management trusts Lance away from the team.

Then they shouldn't have gave him the guaranteed deal. The whole reason for the D-League is to develop undercooked prospects. If you don't take advantage of that avenue. You aren't using your assets to the fullest.

Infinite MAN_force
06-24-2011, 12:18 AM

Why do I have the feeling the same people who don't like this trade would be the same people complaining the LOUDEST if we had, perhaps, heard that this exact trade "fell through" or something. The complaining on this forum amuses me sometimes.

We traded a mediocre pick in a weak draft for an established backup guard who can defend and create his own shot. We needed a guy who can defend big point guards and a guy who could create, It amazes me that people still whine about everything.

The fact that he's local is irrelevant, I like this move. Solid move.

Psyren
06-24-2011, 12:19 AM
So what does this do to Lance?

And when it comes down to it, what do you guys think our backcourt looks like as of now (Just guesses).

DC and Hill?
DC and Paul George?
Hill and George?

Just wondering what you guys think on that one.

Pacersalltheway10
06-24-2011, 12:20 AM
Pacers win this trade no doubt. What move is next?

Heisenberg
06-24-2011, 12:20 AM
Then they shouldn't have gave him the guaranteed deal. The whole reason for the D-League is to develop undercooked prospects. If you don't take advantage of that avenue. You aren't using your assets to the fullest.
Personally, I think the "D" needs taken out of the D-League. Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone who's gone down there and became a new player or anything. It's valuable in the sense that it's a minor league in the States with a ton of FAs that a team can sign on the cheap, but not for developing of guys. I know the Spurs have their own squad and run the same sort of sets as Coach Pop, but they're very much in the minority with that.

Lance goes to the D-League I don't think he learns anything except how to dominate the ball and abuse weaker competition.

ilive4sports
06-24-2011, 12:21 AM

I don't think he would develop more in the NBDL than he would here, practicing with the team and such.

vnzla81
06-24-2011, 12:21 AM

And when it comes down to it, what do you guys think our backcourt looks like as of now (Just guesses).

DC and Hill?
DC and Paul George?
Hill and George?

I hope is Hill,George,Danny, x player and Roy

Sookie
06-24-2011, 12:22 AM

DC and Hill?
DC and Paul George?
Hill and George?

DC and George. DC and Hill are too small, and I don't think we'll just give him DC's starting spot unless he kicks him around in preseason. (Possible)

ilive4sports
06-24-2011, 12:24 AM

DC and Hill?
DC and Paul George?
Hill and George?

Right now I see DC and PG starting with Hill being the first guard off the bench. I don't think we will ever see DC and Hill start together, just too small. Can play for stretches in games, but not start. Hill could very well be our starting 1 though. Wouldn't surprise me.

spazzxb
I like Hill and don't know anything about lenard, but this team did need a player like Hill.

SycamoreKen
I'd always be nervous dealing with the Spurs, but let's face it, Leonard isn't better than DG or PG, and may never be. He certainly was not going to bump them from the starting lineup.

Hill was the 6th best player on the best team in the west...and an argument could be made that if he were in the east, or on many other teams not named NO, he might well have started. At least we won't have to suffer watching D Rose run over DC, or run around AJ as much.

Hill may have been the 6th man when he wasn't starting when Parker was hurt, but he wasn't the 6th best player. He was easily the 4th best on the team last year.

I like the trade in that it gives us a vet. leader that the other guys can follow and knows what to do when things get crazy. Pop trusted Hill, which says a lot for a young guy. I think he makes the team better just with his presence and he take th pressure off Danny to be the face and carry the team. He is by no means even an all star level guy, but he is a plus.

I find this trade interesting from the Spurs side in that they went in needing a big and still do. They must think James Anderson can back up Manu at the 2 with Neal. They must also plan on cutting back Jefferson's time, though Leonard may not see the court at all if there is a lockout.

It will be interesting to see how this falls out.

pwee31
Like the trade, curious what this means for Collison.

Hill/Collison duo at PG? Stephenson? Hill at SG?

What's next?

Ozwalt72
06-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Yeah Hill probably gets 30+mpg off the bench backing up both guard spots. George starts SG and also plays backup 3.

Heisenberg
06-24-2011, 12:27 AM
On paper it does seem like a lot to give up and I understand you and others questioning it. But remember the old rule we hear is that the team that gets the better player wins the deal. There is no question we got the best player. We did give up a lot in "volume", but we gave up next to nothing in value.
Leonard = no pt for 2 years. Also no position.
Lorbek = never coming over
42nd = cut by end of training camp most likely.
Hill? = starting or backup combo guard.

Bird added a good piece without giving up anything that hurt us. 100% for this deal.
I don't want to be interpreted as not liking Hill or anything, I very much do, I just don't think we needed to give up those assets. It's true that Lorbek wasn't coming here (was that our doing or his? Don't know), it's true that the 42's the 42 (but potential's so exciting!).

I feel like Lorbek's rights added to Rush could help entice a team, or the guy that actually got taken at 42, Bertans's rights. It's not so much if they'd ever play for us, it's the value other teams see in them which I think is more than just a throwaway type deal.

I like getting Hill, and I don't know where Leonard would've played for us in comparison to a clear role for Hill. I just think we got out negotiated. Not terribly or anything, we didn't give them Roy or something obviously, just feels like too much.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 12:27 AM
DC and George. DC and Hill are too small, and I don't think we'll just give him DC's starting spot unless he kicks him around in preseason. (Possible)

I am not aware of the stats but if Hill is our new starting pg, will the Pacers have one of the biggest starting lineups in the league?

Hill - 6'2-3
George - 6'7
Granger 6'8
Tyler - 6'9 (If we trade for a starter he will at least be the same)
Roy - 7"2

That's a pretty big lineup.

CableKC
06-24-2011, 12:28 AM
I agree with that, but based on all comments by Bird, I don't think Bird agrees with that at all.

IMHO, I'm guessing that ( in order of preference of being moved ).....it would be:

1) BRush - for the various reasons mentioned
2) Posey - cuz he costs $7 mil ( but my guess is that he'll be used as filler for some trade down the line )
3) AJ - kept for the reasons that I mentioned ( backup to DC/GH and insurance for Lance in case he messes up ) but expendable
4) Lance - kept for whatever potential that he has but obviously riding on "thin ice".

BornReady
if any of you are interested, here are the spurs fans reactions:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182134

ilive4sports
I am not aware of the stats but if Hill is our new starting pg, will the Pacers have one of the biggest starting lineups in the league?

Hill - 6'2-3
George - 6'7
Granger 6'8
Tyler - 6'9 (If we trade for a starter he will at least be the same)
Roy - 7"2

That's a pretty big lineup.

I think PG is 6'9" now, he looks as tall as Tyler.

TheDon
06-24-2011, 12:30 AM
I think we're all just disappointed we can't project the new shiney toy we drafted to be the next jordan/magic/bird/shaq/kareem. :)

In seriousness though I thought there was supposed to be some press conference with bird after the draft...any word on that? I was interested in what Larry had to say.

docpaul
06-24-2011, 12:30 AM

DC and Hill?
DC and Paul George?
Hill and George?

Bird has said clearly that he wants a deeper bench... and has implied a longer rotation. So I'm imagining more like a 10 man rotation, with DC / George starting and Hill / Lance off the bench.

Hill is definitely a better defender / shooter, Lance is a better passer / driver / finisher. I think he's actually a very nice complementary piece.

His experience, maturity, intangibles, and comfort playing at home is just gravy.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 12:31 AM
I don't want to be interpreted as not liking Hill or anything, I very much do, I just don't think we needed to give up those assets. It's true that Lorbek wasn't coming here (was that our doing or his? Don't know), it's true that the 42's the 42 (but potential's so exciting!).

I feel like Lorbek's rights added to Rush could help entice a team, or the guy that actually got taken at 42, Bertans's rights. It's not so much if they'd ever play for us, it's the value other teams see in them which I think is more than just a throwaway type deal.

I like getting Hill, and I don't know where Leonard would've played for us in comparison to a clear role for Hill. I just think we got out negotiated. Not terribly or anything, we didn't give them Roy or something obviously, just feels like too much.

You should try looking at it from the Spurs side. They got fleeced. Giving up a quality player for a big load of nothing and a ? of a pick. Crap is crap, even if there is a lot of it. And that's pretty much what the Spurs got.

Kemo
06-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Bird DID say that he wanted the Pacers to have the best bench in the league...

Stellar move Larry..

Hill is a really good player, a difference maker on a team..

I believe that finally being home, Hill will have his best year(s) with us ...

I'm happy ..

PaceBalls
06-24-2011, 12:32 AM
I love the trade, Hill is better than anyone we could have gotten in this draft. I dare say he would be in the top 5 of this draft. He averaged almost 30mpg for one of the best teams in the NBA. Quite a steal IMO.

The downside is his contract is up after next year and it would suck to lose him to free agency.

Sookie
06-24-2011, 12:33 AM
IMHO, I'm guessing that ( in order of preference of being moved ).....it would be:

1) BRush - for the various reasons mentioned
2) Posey - cuz he costs $7 mil ( but my guess is that he'll be used as filler for some trade down the line )
3) AJ - kept for the reasons that I mentioned ( backup to DC/GH and insurance for Lance in case he messes up ) but expendable
4) Lance - kept for whatever potential that he has but obviously riding on "thin ice".

I really think one of the PGs won't be here.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 12:34 AM
if any of you are interested, here are the spurs fans reactions:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182134

Wow, I was reading some other posts on yahoo and it was exactly the opposite response. Someone even said Pop was upset over the deal.

pacer4ever
I saw Bird and Morway after the draft Joe !!!!!!!!

ok trade IMO i wanted Chris Singleton bad but Hill is good. I still wanted Reggie Jackson

pacer4ever

AJ will be cut IMO

Constellations
06-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Tell us why we should keep AJ Sookie. :D

Hoop
06-24-2011, 12:38 AM

DC and Hill?
DC and Paul George?
Hill and George?

I still like DC and Paul starting, with Hill coming off the bench at both spots. I really, really like that rotation.
Hill might finish a LOT of the games at 1 or 2 depending on match ups, and they all 3 could play at the same time while Granger rests or plays the 4 spot. Not a fan off small ball as a main strategy, but it works at certain times.

I'm liking this lineup, if we just could get another good big guy.

Edit: Forgot Lance, I really don't care one way or the other on Lance. They can still find a roster spot for him, if he pans out fine, if not fine, keep him on a short lease.

Sookie
Tell us why we should keep AJ Sookie. :D

nah, he needs to be traded/let go so he can look for another team. He's clearly as much a part of this team's future as Rush is. On the other hand, that is looking at it from AJ's best interest. It might be in the Pacers best interest to keep him and his cheap contract around for "insurance"

I don't know why the team would sit through his "injured" year, only to get rid of him when he should be getting back to normal. (Would have made more sense last season..) Granted THAT was probably insurance for Ford/Lance.

CableKC
I do not have a problem with Hill. I think he's a very good player, but I would have liked at least an extra pick or something. I think we could have at least got a decent backup out of this draft. I expected to someone decent to fall to our second round pick, and I would have taken Selby with that pick. Darius Morris almost fell to that spot as well.
For me, I have no problem with trading Leonard for GH....even with the cost being #42. As mentioned before....I am guessing ( and this is pure speculation on my part ) that the Spurs wanted "Leonard + Stanko" ( who I have read is a better prospect ) but Bird countered with "Leonard + 42 + Lorbek" ( who probably wasn't coming over ).

I agree with you that I am slightly disappointed that we didn't have an extra pick....but that's fine. I'm hoping that with all the left overs that didn't get drafted but got invited to work out with us in training Camp ( such as Rick Jackson ).

ballism
06-24-2011, 12:39 AM
You should try looking at it from the Spurs side. They got fleeced. Giving up a quality player for a big load of nothing and a ? of a pick. Crap is crap, even if there is a lot of it. And that's pretty much what the Spurs got.

Obviously Spurs management didn't see Leonard as crap.

PacerFreak31
06-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Here is G.Hill's numbers in the playoffs this season.

Game 1 40:37 minutes had 15 points and 3 assist and 4 steals
Game 2 23:44 minutes had 16 points and 4 assist and 2 steals
Game 3 26:56 minutes had 11 points and 1 assist and 0 steals
Game 4 29:05 minutes had 10 points and 2 assist and 1 steal
Game 5 30:23 minutes had 12 points and 2 assist and 0 steals
Game 6 38:32 minutes had 6 points and 2 assist and 2 steals

I am sorry but if he is going to be the "scoring punch" off the bench those are VERY sorry numbers given the number of minutes he played. He will never be a starting PG because he has no court vision and you can tell that by looking at his assist numbers. Also in most of the games he had a negative +/-. For those of you that believe he will guard the Roses, Westbrooks, and Wades of the NBA have another thing coming. Hill is only 6'2 and after being in the NBA for 3 years now is still only 180lbs. He is not going to guard anyone. Lots of guards can get steals but that doesn't mean they are great defenders. Rose will light Hill up a lot more than he did DC.

I don't disagree with trading the pick but I disagree with what we received. Poor decision on Birds part. I know we don't know what was being offered but I would have rather had some of the guys that went just after our pick if we couldn't get a better trade. I do believe this was just a PR move and now the local media will eat this story up. We didn't get worse tonight but we also didn't get any better.

d_c
06-24-2011, 12:40 AM
I think this was a solid move by Bird.

The draft was craptastic. Literally filled with guys you won't hear from in a few years and some guys who will be 8th-10th men.

Ordinarily, I'd say just use a pick and try to swing for a double or a triple, but not this year. Just too many guys with not very well defined games or positions and really, not a whole lot of upside either.

Good move by Bird to take a proven commodity over a crapshoot this year.

Psyren
06-24-2011, 12:41 AM
I look at it this way...

Several people here on PD (Myself included) wanted the Pacers to take Marshon Brooks. To me, Hill is a proven version of Marshon Brooks who also is a pretty good defender. Take out the fact that he's from Indy and all that. This kid can play the 2, he can create his own shot, and he's proven he can do it at the NBA level. That makes this trade a brilliant one by Larry Bird.

Now we have a guy who can create his own shot and knock it down, not to mention start at the 1 or come of the bench at either the 1 or the 2.

I know it's not quite as fun as drafting an unknown player, but this guy has gotten it done at this level, and will bring something that last season we really didn't have. Add in that he's only 25 and has a lot of playoff experience, and we've got a really, really, nice piece to add to our team going forward.

I love this trade. I hope this offseason brings more excitement to Indy, but I for one am absolutely thrilled to bring George Hill back home.

notque
Why would AJ get cut? Hill played SG for the Spurs.

So we'd be

PG Collison
SG Hill
SF Granger
PF Hans
C Hibbert

aaronb

Doubtful that they got fleeced....

They are at the end of their window. They traded their 6th man who is in a contract year for 3 assets that they will have several years to assess.

It's called a proper rebuilding move.

CableKC
06-24-2011, 12:42 AM
Personally, I know that he did okay when he finally got minutes....but I won't be convinced that Lance is a PG until he gets far more minutes playing that position and running the point.

PaceBalls
06-24-2011, 12:42 AM
AJ will be cut

Well, we have empty roster spots, but AJ and Lance are the least paid players, both are making about 800k and Larry seems to think Lance is our best player :confused: (remember the Troy Murphy MVP talk?).

So yeah, AJ is probably the odd man out if they have to cut someone.

If I am correct, bringing in Hill puts our roster at 11. Bringing the Stank over gets it to 12, that leaves 3 spots open.

Rubio
06-24-2011, 12:43 AM
Personally, I think the "D" needs taken out of the D-League. Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone who's gone down there and became a new player or anything. It's valuable in the sense that it's a minor league in the States with a ton of FAs that a team can sign on the cheap, but not for developing of guys. I know the Spurs have their own squad and run the same sort of sets as Coach Pop, but they're very much in the minority with that.

Lance goes to the D-League I don't think he learns anything except how to dominate the ball and abuse weaker competition.

Really?

Many former NBA draftees, waived players and undrafted players have played in the NBA D-League. Some of the called-up D-League players that went on to have successful NBA careers include Rafer Alston, Louis Amundson, Chris Andersen, Kelenna Azubuike, Matt Barnes, Devin Brown, Will Bynum, Matt Carroll, Eddie Gill, Stephen Graham, Jason Hart, Chuck Hayes, Anthony Johnson, Dahntay Jones, Jamario Moon, Mikki Moore, Smush Parker, Bobby Simmons, Ime Udoka, Von Wafer, C. J. Watson, and Mike Wilks. Aside from these players, there are several successful NBA players who were assigned to the D-League in their first and second season, such as José Juan Barea, Brandon Bass, Andray Blatche, Aaron Brooks, Jordan Farmar, Shannon Brown, Marcin Gortat, Ramon Sessions and Martell Webster.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 12:43 AM
Obviously Spurs management didn't see Leonard as crap.

Right now he is crap. Maybe in two years he turns into a decent role player. I dont think anyone expects him to be ready for the NBA now. He has "0" offensive game and lacks a real position. He is a worthy project and that is ok for the SPurs. They can afford to wait. We couldnt.

ECKrueger
06-24-2011, 12:44 AM
So right now our rotation is looking like this:

Collison/Hill
George/Hill
Granger/George
X/Hansbrough
Hibbert/X

I think we really need that guy that can play the 4 and 5 in some fashion. Preferably a good 4 who can back up the 5.

Pacersalltheway10
06-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Trade AJ rush in part of a bigger deal

Los Angeles
06-24-2011, 12:45 AM
I hate it. Now we have three shooting guards trapped in point guard's bodies with no court vision.

I actually like Hill, and I think he'd be a great complement with Lance if Lance ever works out, but we had Kawhi Leonard.

I feel the same as I did after the Bayless trade.

Three years later, Jaryd Bayless still sucks.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 12:46 AM
Doubtful that they got fleeced....

They are at the end of their window. They traded their 6th man who is in a contract year for 3 assets that they will have several years to assess.

It's called a proper rebuilding move.

They got one asset they will never see. The other two will not be NBA ready for at least 2 years. That is ok for them. They are not in any hurry and can afford to let Leonard set the bench and develop while the 42nd pick plays in Europe for 3 more years. Right now I have to say the Pacers win big. In 3-4 years, that may not be the case.

Sookie
Right now he is crap. Maybe in two years he turns into a decent role player. I dont think anyone expects him to be ready for the NBA now. He has "0" offensive game and lacks a real position. He is a worthy project and that is ok for the SPurs. They can afford to wait. We couldnt.

At the end of the day, the Spurs will end up getting the better player. It's just the Spurs..it's like they have a crystal ball or something.

However, we have Granger and George that play there.

notque
So right now our rotation is looking like this:

Collison/Hill
George/Hill
Granger/George
X/Hansbrough
Hibbert/X

I think we really need that guy that can play the 4 and 5 in some fashion. Preferably a good 4 who can back up the 5.

Really? I'd think Hill would start, and George would be 6 man. Am I alone in this thought?

Kemo
06-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Pacers trade No. 15 pick Leonard to Spurs for Hill

Posted Jun 23 2011 10:12PM

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- The Indiana Pacers have traded first-round pick Kawhi Leonard of San Diego State to the San Antonio Spurs for hometown hero George Hill.

Hill starred at IUPUI, then went to the Spurs in the first round of the 2008 draft. He played three years with the Spurs and averaged 11.6 points and 2.5 assists last season.

Michael Whitaker, Hill's agent, confirmed the deal on Thursday.

The Pacers took Leonard with the 15th pick. The 6-foot-7 forward averaged 15.5 points and 10.6 rebounds last season. He was a second-team All-American who helped the Aztecs win a school-record 34 games.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/06/23/pacers-spurs-trade.ap/index.html

ballism
06-24-2011, 12:48 AM

I agree, because we are title contenders, unlike the Spurs.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 12:49 AM
At the end of the day, the Spurs will end up getting the better player. It's just the Spurs..it's like they have a crystal ball or something.

However, we have Granger and George that play there.

I think you should subsitute "will" for "might". The potential is there but the Spurs were willing to roll the dice. The Pacers had to come out of this draft with a player who could contribute. A miss would have been terrible. They accomplished that!

pacer4ever
I don't want to over pay him next year(which is what will happen especially if he gets more touches than he did with the spurs which he will) i would of took Singleton on a rookie deal instead.

ECKrueger
Really? I'd think Hill would start, and George would be 6 man. Am I alone in this thought?

I think it is kind of a toss up currently, but I think I would prefer Paul. 6'7" vs. 6'2" with an already small Collison.

BringJackBack
Here is G.Hill's numbers in the playoffs this season.

Game 1 40:37 minutes had 15 points and 3 assist and 4 steals
Game 2 23:44 minutes had 16 points and 4 assist and 2 steals
Game 3 26:56 minutes had 11 points and 1 assist and 0 steals
Game 4 29:05 minutes had 10 points and 2 assist and 1 steal
Game 5 30:23 minutes had 12 points and 2 assist and 0 steals
Game 6 38:32 minutes had 6 points and 2 assist and 2 steals

I am sorry but if he is going to be the "scoring punch" off the bench those are VERY sorry numbers given the number of minutes he played. He will never be a starting PG because he has no court vision and you can tell that by looking at his assist numbers. Also in most of the games he had a negative +/-. For those of you that believe he will guard the Roses, Westbrooks, and Wades of the NBA have another thing coming. Hill is only 6'2 and after being in the NBA for 3 years now is still only 180lbs. He is not going to guard anyone. Lots of guards can get steals but that doesn't mean they are great defenders. Rose will light Hill up a lot more than he did DC.

I don't disagree with trading the pick but I disagree with what we received. Poor decision on Birds part. I know we don't know what was being offered but I would have rather had some of the guys that went just after our pick if we couldn't get a better trade. I do believe this was just a PR move and now the local media will eat this story up. We didn't get worse tonight but we also didn't get any better.

1.) He's a 3rd year player.
2.) He doesn't get that many shots because of Manu, Tony, and Timmy.
3.) We have too many projects already, we don't need to wait 2-3 years to wait for a player to get productive. It's time to start getting results.
4.) You are just flat out wrong about Hill's defense. He is probably the second best defender on our team already. He has a 6'9" wingspan.
5.) This wasn't a PR move. He was the sixth man of the best team in the league. As a third year player. He's a talented two-way player.

George Hill is also a player with great intangibles; He does things that doesn't show up on the stat sheet. That is why he was a fan favorite of San Antonio.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 12:50 AM
I agree, because we are title contenders, unlike the Spurs.

That makes no sense. The Spurs can wait because they are contenders. They have enough talent to bury Leonard on the end of their bench and forget about him and stash a player in Europe for 3 years. We dont have that luxury. We need players not prospects.

PR07
06-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Just watched this highlight reel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm-LlK4x6Ws

The first thing that I noticed was how long Hill's arms were and his athleticism at the position. I mean when's the last time the Pacers had a good PG you could toss the ball to and he'd finish on an alley-oop? Or consistently dunk to finish on a fast break? [Honestly, the only guy that I think could even remotely do that in recent memory would have to be Jamison Brewer, and he was awful]

JB24
06-24-2011, 12:52 AM
If Granger remains a part of the team, i don't see how we can afford to pay all the young guys.

ballism
06-24-2011, 12:54 AM
That makes no sense. The Spurs can wait because they are contenders. They have enough talent to bury Leonard on the end of their bench and forget about him and stash a player in Europe for 3 years. We dont have that luxury. We need players not prospects.

Obviously you are not familiar with a term 'asset'? :)

I don't know if the deal is good or bad for us long term. I'd say it could still go both ways.
But to say "Spurs were fleeced" and we gave up "crap"... Exaggerate much?

pacer4ever
06-24-2011, 12:54 AM
If Granger remains a part of the team, i don't see how we can afford to pay all the young guys.

That is why i am not sold on the trade.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 12:56 AM
Obviously you are not familiar with a term 'asset'? :)

I don't know if the deal is good or bad for us long term. I'd say it could still go both ways.
But to say "Spurs were fleeced" and we gave up "crap"... Exaggerate much?

Well let me put it this way. We gave up nothing of value to us. We need players not projects. Leonard is a big question mark. He might add something to SA in the future but it is certain he adds nothing now. The SPurs werent exactly hurt in this deal. They are taking a chance. Something Bird could not afford to do again.

ilive4sports
06-24-2011, 12:56 AM

And acquiring Hill is now going to cause this to be a problem? Granger doesn't make top dollar. Paul George may command a max contract if things go well, but that won't be for awhile. DC/Hill/Roy/Hans will all get theirs, but none will be insanely large contracts. Hibbert will most likely get the most.

Heisenberg
06-24-2011, 12:57 AM
Let's worry about what the new CBA'll be like before we worry about keeping anyone. Not like any of our young guys are going to get a max deal anyway. Roy'll probably ask for something in the ~8 range and that'd be the highest, PG, who knows, long ways off.

I have absolutely no worry about being able to re-sign anyone, only if we SHOULD re-sign them when the time comes.

pacer4ever
06-24-2011, 12:58 AM
he is excellent overall on synergy and excellent PnR ball handler which is something we needed. He is a good defender according to synergy too.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 12:59 AM
Let's worry about what the new CBA'll be like before we worry about keeping anyone. Not like any of our young guys are going to get a max deal anyway. Roy'll probably ask for something in the ~8 range and that'd be the highest, PG, who knows, long ways off.

I have absolutely no worry about being able to re-sign anyone, only on if we SHOULD re-sign them when the time comes.

Hey I hope one day we do have to worry about how to resign all these guys. That means they are worth something = team will be really good!

pacer4ever
And acquiring Hill is now going to cause this to be a problem? Granger doesn't make top dollar. Paul George may command a max contract if things go well, but that won't be for awhile. DC/Hill/Roy/Hans will all get theirs, but none will be insanely large contracts. Hibbert will most likely get the most.

Hill will get a lot of money if he gets the touches he should in Indy. He is also due to get paid in 2012 maybe he is a trade chip to get EJ:D

pizza guy
When I first heard about the deal, I was really excited. George Hill is a guy whose name has been brought up around here in trade threads and in hopes of making him a Pacer. Knowing that he's an IUPUI guy just adds to the fact that we went and got someone who many of the fans have been wanting.

As I thought about how Hill would fit into the lineup, I began to get a little concerned. Does he backup DC? Does he start at PG? Does he start at SG? My immediate thought was starting SG, but I didn't realize he is so short. We'll see what Vogel does, and I'm sure it'll be a great topic of conversation all year next year.

Here's what I know, and why I like this trade: George Hill is a proven player, with some upside left to find, and a great upbringing in the NBA under Parker, Ginobli, Duncan, and Poppovich. Trading an unknown draft pick, who likely would have seen very little playing time for a guy who we know can contribute in multiple ways for 30 minutes/game is a good deal. Not to mention, he's probably going to sell seats (anyone else at the Pacers/Jazz game last year?), be loyal and play hard for his home team.

I'm Pizza Guy, and I approve of this trade.

Ratking
06-24-2011, 01:00 AM
This makes the trade easier to swallow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMXC40KXIiI&feature=related

This doesn't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6qiP1zeSY0

so much for Leonard's poor shooting :( Always good to have a player on Sports Science.

Oh well, I still love Hill. I just hope we dont see Kawhi develop into a Gerald Wallace type.

Heisenberg
I'm pretty enamored with a George & George 1/2 defensive duo. But I have serious questions about what they'll be able to do offensively. Hill's not worthless on offense, but from what I've seen he doesn't really fill that "create shots for himself" role everyone says we need to the utmost.

pacer4ever
I think it is kind of a toss up currently, but I think I would prefer Paul. 6'7" vs. 6'2" with an already small Collison.

Paul is 6'9 now he is taller than Tyler

Lance George
Hill was 8th in Sixth Man of the Year voting this past season (http://www.nba.com/2011/news/04/19/kia-sixth-man-of-year/index.html).

Sollozzo
06-24-2011, 01:01 AM
I don't know anything about Leonard because I don't watch a lot of college ball. But I am not upset that we traded the 15th player taken in an extremely weak class. In 08, those upset about Bayless dropping could at least blame a chunk of that on the 08 class being stacked. But that's certainly not the case here. This class was bad.

George Hill was a very solid player at SA and is just still just 25. His best ball is ahead of him. Plus he can be an immediate contributor right now. What was Leonard going to do in the next 2-3 seasons? I'd rather have a player that can contribute now than I would a guy who is going to take some time to develop. And I don't care about the second round pick, how often are those anything special?

This was a pretty solid trade for us. I certainly wouldn't have minded having Hill in the Bulls series.

judicata
06-24-2011, 01:01 AM
he is excellent overall on synergy and excellent PnR ball handler which is something we needed. He is a good defender according to synergy too.

P&R with Hans against second units could be brutal with some work.

Pacer Fan
06-24-2011, 01:02 AM
Wow, One for sure good move to improve the team. Pacers have 30 million to spend and you guys find fault on trade cause of salary....Really!:rolleyes:

troyc11a
Hill will get a lot of money if he gets the touches he should in Indy. He is also due to get paid in 2012 maybe he is a trade chip to get EJ:D

Hill is a real asset. Leonard might be. The 2 Euro guys are worthless. Aquiring Hill might give us enough pieces to land Gordon. Look at the LAC roster in a couple weeks and we migh have a better idea.

Heisenberg
Let's nip the hometown ticket seller in the bud. Walk down the street tomorrow afternoon and ask 100 people if they know who George Hill is. I don't care about that, I'm just saying he's not selling tickets.

kester99
06-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Hill is NBA proven. Any draft pick isn't. So, I like it for that reason.

I also like the Indiana connection. Butts in seats. Butts in seats. Butts in seats. Keep the NBA in Indiana.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 01:04 AM
P&R with Hans against second units could be brutal with some work.

He is bigger, stronger, and a better shooter (much better) than Collison. I bet he is our new starting pg. If so, this trade not only upgrades our starting pg spot, but our backup as well!

rexnom
06-24-2011, 01:08 AM
I love the deal. Exception from the Troy Murphy deal helped us make this trade, btw. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 01:10 AM
I love the deal. Exception from the Troy Murphy deal helped us make this trade, btw. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

So its:

Murphy and Leonard for Collison and Hill? Cool! Never thought of it that way!

PaceBalls
06-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Let's nip the hometown ticket seller in the bud. Walk down the street tomorrow afternoon and ask 100 people if they know who George Hill is. I don't care about that, I'm just saying he's not selling tickets.

Yeah,
He isn't going to draw tickets if we are losing games. But he would certainly be a fan favorite if we start winning consistently.

Most importantly what matters is having a team that is relevant again that fans can be excited about seeing live and cheering to victory, and not have fans leaving the arena depressed, jaded or worse, indifferent.

pacer4ever
06-24-2011, 01:14 AM
I am not gonna lie Singleton and Josh Selby> than Hill IMO

Singleton can guard 4 positions and shoot the 3 i would have loved him in BnG.

pwee31
06-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Pacers got George Hill for 2 picks in a weak draft and a player who was not coming over from Europe to play for the Pacers.

Put it on the board!

Heisenberg
06-24-2011, 01:17 AM
Yeah,
He isn't going to draw tickets if we are losing games. But he would certainly be a fan favorite if we start winning consistently.

Most importantly what matters is having a team that is relevant again that fans can be excited about seeing live and cheering to victory, and not have fans leaving the arena depressed, jaded or worse, indifferent.Agreed, absolutely, and I think Hill helps us get there. Just saying that we didn't just sell a few dozen season ticket packages because we traded for Hill. I imagine more people know about McBob than Hill and we saw how that's gone.

I'm not trying to be some cynical d-bag, I just think some people are making too much of it. I completely agree that the only way to selling more tix, making more money, getting more fans, all that is winning games. Period.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 01:20 AM

I think we could come up will several options that might seem to be better than Hill. The problem with that is Bird needed to get someone tonight who could produce. He did not have the luxury to take a chance. Singleton could be a good player, Selby is a big question mark. Hill is a good player and Bird played it safe going into FA. Now there is a some money to spend. I really like what happened tonight. We are a much better team now than we were a few hours ago. And..... we are going to get much better!!!!!!

aaronb
06-24-2011, 01:22 AM
They got one asset they will never see. The other two will not be NBA ready for at least 2 years. That is ok for them. They are not in any hurry and can afford to let Leonard set the bench and develop while the 42nd pick plays in Europe for 3 more years. Right now I have to say the Pacers win big. In 3-4 years, that may not be the case.

Agreed,

That is how a rebuild, done competently is supposed to work.

The dealt a guy who was leaving as a free agent at season end. For 3 young assets. Now they will have several seasons to decide what value these assets have.

Maybe all 3 are bust? It's still 3 lotto tickets against a guy who is leaving in 11 months anyway.

Bet they are able to get similar deals when they more Parker, Ginobili and Jefferson.

That is how good franchises maintain good franchise status. Lets hope we are smart when we have to make contract decisions on Hill and Hibbert are due at season end?

TheDon
Did Larry have any sort of press conference after the draft like people were saying I can't find anything off of the Pacers website

docpaul
“This might have been one of the most difficult nights in Spurs history, as long as we've been here,” Buford said. “To lose a player like George Hill, who has meant so much to our team, to our culture, to our locker room ... it's one of the most difficult decisions we've had to make.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-say-Hi-Kawhi-1438313.php

troyc11a
Sporting News just claimed the SPurs to be one of the biggest losers in the draft tonight! Glad I am not the only one who thought that!

pacer4ever
06-24-2011, 01:23 AM
I think George Hill will ave 15ppg next year he will be featured more than he was with the Spurs. I am just worried after he has a breakout year what happens. I liked Singleton because he is the perfect guy for LBJ. But like i said it is an ok trade but I hope we dont overpay next year.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 01:24 AM
Agreed,

That is how a rebuild, done competently is supposed to work.

The dealt a guy who was leaving as a free agent at season end. For 3 young assets. Now they will have several seasons to decide what value these assets have.

Maybe all 3 are bust? It's still 3 lotto tickets against a guy who is leaving in 11 months anyway.

Bet they are able to get similar deals when they more Parker, Ginobili and Jefferson.

That is how good franchises maintain good franchise status. Lets hope we are smart when we have to make contract decisions on Hill and Hibbert are due at season end?

Hill is under contract for 2 years minimum. Not 11 months. Qualifying offer after next year. Only way he leaves in 11 months is if he stinks it up here.

judicata
06-24-2011, 01:25 AM

Are you kidding? Singleton can guard the wings and maybe the four in the NBA. I'm not sure he can guard quicker twos, either. He was a great defender in college, but this is hyperbole.

troyc11a
06-24-2011, 01:25 AM
I think George Hill will ave 15ppg next year he will be featured more than he was with the Spurs. I am just worried after he has a breakout year what happens. I liked Singleton because he is the perfect guy for LBJ. But like i said it is an ok trade but I hope we dont overpay next year.

If he has a breakout year that is all good for us!!!!!!!

pacer4ever
06-24-2011, 01:26 AM
We are very excited to have him (Hill) as part of our team. He's got playoff experience and we look forward to him being part of our core group going forward.
We've been after him for a while but San Antonio hasn't been interested. Then when they saw how the draft fell they decided to make the trade.

We have a lot of young guys and now it is time to fill in the holes, hopefully through free agency we can fill some more.
I don't know where he's going to play, he'll play the one and two. He won't interfere with the minutes for Darren Collison.

Helps that he's local but he's a good NBA player and didn't trade for him because he's from Indianapolis.
Few players we thought might drop to us but when George Hill was available we focused on getting him.

This was our deal, we would take him over about any other player in the draft, especially what was left.

Shouldn't impact Lance Stephenson or Paul George. Hill can play with Lance or with George.

Can't talk about the lockout, all I want to talk about is I'm tired and I want to go to bed.

This is from Bird via Indycorn rows

so this means George will play more SF next season most likley

Sandman21
06-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Did Larry have any sort of press conference after the draft like people were saying I can't find anything off of the Pacers website

Think they had some technical glitches, Indy Cornrows has an synopsis:
http://www.indycornrows.com/2011/6/24/2240992/larry-bird-discusses-draft-night-trade-for-george-hill

This doesn't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6qiP1zeSY0

so much for Leonard's poor shooting :( Always good to have a player on Sports Science.

Okay, so he was able to shoot 80% in a controlled environment. I'm not sold he could do it night in and night out at the NBA level. Put a guy on him in the lab and lets see how he does.

Isaac
06-24-2011, 01:27 AM
We made a mistake. Leonard is going to be an excellent player and we were extremely lucky to have him at 15. George Hill is not bad, and will contribute, but the best case scenario is he gives us the best backup PG in the league whereas Leonard could have been our starting 3 or 4 for years to come. I'm pretty disappointed.

San Antonio does a great job drafting- always. They know how good Leonard is. They know they won this trade. Honestly, they did. No debating it.

The upside is that we get a good defender who can also score as a backup point guard. I'm so glad AJ Price won't see the floor this year, because he honestly sucks, no matter what snicker snookie says. Also the idea that he can play with Lance or Paul George is very true. He can shoot and defend. Figure out the rest for yourself.

I love Hill for our team, but I love Leonard more. We could have come away with probably a top 5 player in this draft.

pacer4ever
06-24-2011, 01:29 AM
Are you kidding? Singleton can guard the wings and maybe the four in the NBA. I'm not sure he can guard quicker twos, either. He was a great defender in college, but this is hyperbole.

IMO he can guard the 1 2 3 4 and guard the 3 at a lock down level.

Washington had the best draft IMO

Plus Vesley's kiss might of been the highlight of the night i keep saying it central Europe has the hottest girls in the World.