PDA

View Full Version : Brian Shaw Agrees to Asst Coaching Job

Swish
06-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Brian Shaw has agreed to become associate head coach of Pacers, according to source

http://twitter.com/#!/MikeWellsNBA/status/84010312055013376

pacer4ever
06-23-2011, 05:32 PM
associate head coach of Pacers, according to source

WTF is that lol

glad he should be a good hire

wintermute
06-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Does that mean Vogel is the official head coach now?

BringJackBack
06-23-2011, 05:33 PM
"Associate head coach" ---- Does that mean that he and Vogel are co-coaching the team? A two headed monster?

cdash
Good deal.

cdash
Does that mean that he and Vogel are co-coaching the team?

No. It's just a title for the lead assistant.

Trophy
06-23-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm glad we brought him here.

I have no idea what an associate head coach is gonna do? Head assistant I assume?

Cactus Jax
Nice! Now bring on the rest of the Laker assistants.

Swish
Does that mean Vogel is the official head coach now?

IIRC Larry said he would make Vogel head coach once he assembled his assistant staff.

Lance George
Four simultaneous threads on this news. Is that a PD record? Anyways, Shaw has the pedigree to be a head coach, so to get him as an associate is a great coup.

imawhat
06-23-2011, 05:35 PM
What took us so long? We should've done this before the beginning of last season.

McKeyFan
06-23-2011, 05:35 PM
WTF is that lol

That comment is an alphabetical lol.

(It's all good p4ever. Your great posts make up for your cryptic generation Y communication.)

cdash
06-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Next: Bring Keith Smart aboard.

ilive4sports
06-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Great hire.

Cactus Jax
06-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Mike Brown was the associate head coach under Carlisle I believe, O'Brien didn't have a strong enough staff to really have an associate coach.

HC
06-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Awesome

Cryyin
06-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Good hire IMO.

Kuq_e_Zi91
Best draft day move so far.

wintermute
No. It's just a title for the lead assistant.

Yup, but usually better paid than a normal lead assistant and generally has more responsibility, for example being in charge of offense or defense.

Obie never had an assistant hold the associate head coach title during his tenure, if I recall correctly. Rick did though.

pacer4ever
06-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Next: Bring Keith Smart aboard.

and Chuck Person and that would be a hell of a staff

Trophy
06-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Brian Shaw's story made me become even more of a huge fan of his.

Can't be any happier to have him on Vogel's staff.

He's going to be a big help for this team and discipline the youth.

naptownmenace
06-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Great news! I like Shaw and hopefully the Pacers will announce that Vogel and Shaw's hirings tonight at the Draft Party.

They should interview Chuck Person and Sam Mitchell too along with Frank Hamblen. Might as well talk to Kareem too to see if he's interested in being our bigman coach.

Swingman
06-23-2011, 05:41 PM
shaw may have not come without the extra pay / extra responsibility of being the associate head coach.

Glad we're building a stronger staff. can only help.

Hicks
06-23-2011, 05:42 PM
WTF is that lol

Mike Brown was Rick Carlisle's Associate Head Coach while they were here. Basically a netter title with presumably better pay.

In other words, if Frank tanks, meet the 15th head coach of the Indiana Pacers.

Reginald
06-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Awesome news. Wasn't he basically Kobe's personal pick to replace Phil Jackson?

ksuttonjr76
06-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Now...if he can bring some of Phil Jackson's offensive and defensive plays :devil:.

Sookie
06-23-2011, 05:45 PM

Yes.

:happydanc:happydanc

Personally, I'm really really happy with the coaching staff so far.

pacer4ever
06-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Vogel wants JB Bickerstaff but Kahn wont let him interview until his contract is up. Also his father could get the Job in minney and he would stay on. But he is Vogels first choice for another assistant.

Unclebuck
06-23-2011, 05:46 PM
WTF is that lol

Mike Brown was an associate coach to Rick carlisle

it is a way to disignate an assitant coach as the lead assistant with a title

Oops, I see I was beaten to the punch

jcouts
06-23-2011, 05:47 PM
WTF is that lol

Associate Head Coach is usually a title given to an assistant coach who shares some responsibilities with the Head Coach, but not all...generally an Associate Head Coach is in a position of trying to escape the assistant ranks and move into the Head Coaching ranks...so, it gets them some experience that future teams may be looking for in a head coach, due to the shared responsibilities...our willingness to offer him that role over that of a standard assistant coach role without those responsibilities is likely a big reason why he's here...and Bird gets what he wants in a guy with some more coaching experience sharing some of the duties with Frank.

RLeWorm
06-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Vogel wants JB Bickerstaff but Kahn wont let him interview until his contract is up. Also his father could get the Job in minney and he would stay on. But he is Vogels first choice for another assistant.

wtf is wrong with Kahn? what a *****

A.B.Hollywood
06-23-2011, 05:53 PM
One could argue that regardless of what happens tonight this is the best move the Pacers could make today. Shaw from what I hear perfectly compliments Vogel as more of a disciplinarian. The experience on the court also bodes very well for a young team since typically they respond well to players have "been there" before.

This really is big news and a huge plus for our Blue and Gold. I'm stoked!

Heisenberg
06-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Am I reading too much into the fact that a guy of Shaw's (assumed) stature would agree to work under Frank? Says a lot more about Frankl's rep than I thought.

notque
06-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Great News

glazedham42
06-23-2011, 05:59 PM
This is a great way for us to start the NBA draft. This was the one guy that I really hoped we would get on our staff. I think the players are really going to be happy playing for the Vogel/Shaw duo.

flox
I am very happy this happened. I have wanted this to happen ever since brown became LA's coach.

Swish
I'm not on board as everyone else is. It's great for next season, but what happens next summer after a few more guys are canned and Shaw is looking to leave for a head coaching gig right off the bat?

Heisenberg
06-23-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm not on board as everyone else is. It's great for next season, but what happens next summer after a few more guys are canned and Shaw is looking to leave for a head coaching gig right off the bat?
Then it means his time here was productive and increased his stock. Win.

cdash
06-23-2011, 06:00 PM

That's fine. Vogel will have 1.5 years of coaching experience by then and the need for a veteran lead assistant won't be as great. Besides, those coaches that get canned need a job, too.

kellogg
06-23-2011, 06:03 PM

I think he was Jacksons personal pick to replace Jackson.

ilive4sports
06-23-2011, 06:08 PM
I think he was Jacksons personal pick to replace Jackson.

He was Kobe and Phil's pick.

Pacer Fan
06-23-2011, 06:09 PM
:dance::dance::dance:

Young
06-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Am I reading too much into the fact that a guy of Shaw's (assumed) stature would agree to work under Frank? Says a lot more about Frankl's rep than I thought.

I'm not out to bash Frank because i'm glad/hope he is the head coach. It could be that Shaw sees the Pacers as the perfect situation to become a head coach. Frank is not established like Phil Jackson. The Pacers are up and coming (should be in the playoffs again) but not a championship team like the Lakers. He will likely get more credit for his work in Indiana because of those two factors.

rock747
06-23-2011, 06:30 PM
If frank doesn't work out we just got a great back up plan. Great hire.

imawhat
06-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Mike Brown was Rick Carlisle's Associate Head Coach while they were here. Basically a netter title with presumably better pay.

In other words, if Frank tanks, meet the 15th head coach of the Indiana Pacers.

Is that nicer and better? :).

will567
06-23-2011, 06:33 PM
This is biggest thing that will happen today! Good for thr Pacers!

rabid
06-23-2011, 06:39 PM

It happens. Mike Brown was openly looking for head coaching opportunities the last year or two he was here under Carlisle, and he eventually left to coach the Cavs. It wasn't the end of the world.

As long as he doesn't leave mid-season or undermine Vogel I think it's a great hire.

Bball
06-23-2011, 06:40 PM
I don't see any downside to this announcement...

...Although we might be the first team in the league to announce the assistant C's before announcing we actually have a Head Coach....

Tom White
06-23-2011, 06:48 PM
O'Brien didn't have a strong enough staff to really have an associate coach.

Yeah, they were more dis-associated.

pwee31
06-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Love the Shaw hire! Great move, sorta scares me that they announce it on draft night though. I'm now expecting a lackluster night, as this seems like a move to defer or take attention from the draft

Sookie
06-23-2011, 06:51 PM

...Although we might be the first team in the league to announce the assistant C's before announcing we actually have a Head Coach....

Neither was officially announced. Wells has been saying for a while that the job is Vogel's when he gets a staff.

ColtsBolts
06-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Great news!

-Btw this is my first post on this forum

Pointz
06-23-2011, 07:02 PM
I love this move! It provides us insurance should Vogel falter and provides a strong voice on the bench for him to turn to during the season.

BringJackBack
06-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Expect Shaw to get finalized once Vogel is officially named coach of the Pacers after the draft, according to @BA_Turner of the LA Times
34 minutes ago

Does this mean that Vogel's going to be named the coach after this draft?

Mourning
06-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Good. All for it :thumbsup:.

Day-V
06-24-2011, 12:08 AM
May I be the first to say that I will be making a ShawFrank Redemption poster for Area 55 this season.

What a night. I'm so friggin stoked.

Sandman21
06-24-2011, 12:19 AM
Take it with a grain of salt, but a friend of a friend on Facebook says something may happen tomorrow.

Kegboy
06-24-2011, 12:31 AM

Bird just hasn't finished reading Vogel's doctoral thesis on why shooting 33% from 3 is actually NOT just as good as shooting 50% from 2.

To be fair, it was quite an involved read, as compared to Kurt Rambis' essay:

How to dramatically improve the Timberwolves in 2011-12

Step 1: Find a GM who isn't a ****ing lunatic

Step 2: See Step 1

docpaul
06-24-2011, 12:57 AM

We have Shaw, now... I'd lose my mind if we could secure Laimbeer as a big man coach. I would be very very happy with that lineup.

Constellations
06-24-2011, 01:10 AM
This, makes me so happy!

pwee31
06-24-2011, 01:13 AM
We have Shaw, now... I'd lose my mind if we could secure Laimbeer as a big man coach. I would be very very happy with that lineup.

Laimbeer is interviewing for the Pistons job.

jeffg-body
06-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Wow, I thought that I was dreaming when this was reported.

MrHale
06-24-2011, 01:35 AM
Was wanting him as coach if we didn't bring back vogel but now we got both, I love it. Wonder how kobe feels

spreedom
06-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Great news! I like Shaw and hopefully the Pacers will announce that Vogel and Shaw's hirings tonight at the Draft Party.

They should interview Chuck Person and Sam Mitchell too along with Frank Hamblen. Might as well talk to Kareem too to see if he's interested in being our bigman coach.

I feel very strongly that Sam Mitchell will be the next head coach of the Timberwolves once they're willing to admit that they hung Rambis up to dry.

Sparhawk
06-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Hope the other assistants start falling into place. Really happy for Vogel!

Triangle
06-24-2011, 10:34 AM
I REALLY hope he is given command of the Offense and installs the Triangle Offense next year. It relies heavily on what our rosters strengths seem to be: Midrange Shooting (PG, Lance, DC, Tyler, Dahntay) Penetration (DC, George Hill, Dahntay, Danny) and Post Play with good passing (Roy, Mcbob) while only really relying on the 3 ball to keep defenses honest. Great Hire.

thatch3232
06-24-2011, 10:50 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2ffeatures%2frumors

Here's a link to an ESPN Insider Rumor about who will fill out the rest of our staff. Any an Insider?

wintermute
06-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Mike Wells article. Pretty much what we already knew, but the article also says that we'll only have 3 assistants next year.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110624/SPORTS04/106240332/1062/SPORTS04

Pacers expected to keep Vogel, add Shaw as assistant
Jun 24, 2011 | Comments

Written by
Mike Wells

The Indiana Pacers' drawn-out coaching search is slowly coming to a close.

The Pacers are expected to name Brian Shaw associate head coach once Frank Vogel's interim coach title is removed, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

Vogel has remained the front-runner for the job ever since he led the Pacers to the playoffs for the first time since 2006.

One of the hang-ups in Vogel being named coach is that president Larry Bird wanted him to show that he could put together an established coaching staff to help on the court and in the locker room.

Shaw, who interviewed with Vogel earlier this week, fits that description.

Shaw was a head coaching candidate for jobs with the Los Angeles Lakers and Golden State Warriors. He interviewed for the Pacers job in 2007.

Shaw, a former teammate of Bird with the Boston Celtics, spent seven years as an assistant coach with the Lakers under Phil Jackson.

Longtime assistant Dan Burke is expected to remain on the staff.

Minnesota Timberwolves assistant coach John-Blair Bickerstaff is a possibility to join Vogel's staff.

Vogel will have to wait to talk to Bickerstaff because Minnesota general manager David Kahn told the Pacers they could not interview Bickerstaff, who is under contract until June 30.

The Pacers will use a smaller coaching staff next season. They'll go from having up to five assistant coaches to just three next season.

luis3ep
06-24-2011, 11:00 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2ffeatures%2frumors

Here's a link to an ESPN Insider Rumor about who will fill out the rest of our staff. Any an Insider?

nothing new really...

UPDATE No. 2: According to Wells, in addition to Shaw, assistant Dan Burke is expected to stay on staff, while J.B. Bickerstaff could potentially join the staff as well.

As noted earlier Friday, Bickerstaff could also potentially assume the head-coaching role in Minnesota.

---

UPDATE: According to Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star via a source, Shaw has agreed to become the associate head coach of the team.

---

Pacers president Larry Bird is waiting to sign Frank Vogel to a contract until the head coach names his coaching staff. Bird wants Vogel to have veteran assistants on his staff and one candidate is Brian Shaw.

Mike Wells of The Indianapolis Star reports Shaw will interview with Bird and Vogel this week for the lead assistant position.

Shaw is available after being let go by the Lakers when Phil Jackson retired and not getting the Golden State head coach job, which went to Mark Jackson.

Shaw, who played with Bird in Boston, interviewed for the Pacers head coach position fours ago and wasn't hired.

-- Nick Borges