PDA

View Full Version : Alec Burks - The Next Brandon Roy

The Future
06-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Enjoy Indiana!

:):):):):):):):):):):)

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OcRy8gIn1vA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hicks
06-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Alec, you haven't been officially drafted by the Pacers yet, but thanks for dropping by!

PR07
06-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Does he shoot from outside like Brandon Roy? No.

The Future
06-23-2011, 01:22 PM

DEVELOPMENT.

He also compared himself to T-mac in Orlando, but that is a rare player to compare yourself, because T-Mac was a top 10 talent of all time when he was healthy at his best.

McGrady didn't develop a jumpshot until his 5th season in the NBA and became an offensive force.

Burks has a great ceiling.

ksuttonjr76
06-23-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm watching his highlights, and I'm NOT that impressed with him. Are we sure he's a PG? He dribble moves seem very limited in scope.

Kstat
06-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Brandon Roy shot %33 from the arc last season....

Kstat
06-23-2011, 01:24 PM
He also compared himself to T-mac in Orlando, but that is a rare player to compare yourself, because T-Mac was a top 10 talent of all time when he was healthy at his best.

I've never heard of a draft prospect being compared to TMac before.

Lance George
06-23-2011, 01:28 PM

...and 22% as a college sophomore.

PR07
06-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Yeah, and Paul George struggled from the three point line his rookie NBA season despite being a good three point shooter in college, but at least you look at his mechanics and they look sound. I don't know if I can say the same for Burks.

The Future
06-23-2011, 01:32 PM
I've never heard of a draft prospect being compared to TMac before.
Paul George ;)

He looks like he has a bright future, haha.

Let's make another comparison, Dwayne Wade and Alec Burks

Burks career stats in 2 years at Colorado:

19 PPG, 49 FG%, 31 3FG%, 80 FT%, 2.5 AST, 6 REB

Wade career stats in 2 years at Marquette:

19.7 PPG, 49 FG%, 33 3FG%, 75 FT%, 4 AST, 6 REB

Very similar, Wade developed his jumpshot in the NBA and became an offensive force.

Again, Burks has the ball handling skills to become a great basketball player.

Quick hands also.

Kstat
06-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Paul George ;)

...and Kedirck Brown, Quyntl Woods, and about 50 other big guards to come out for the draft since 2001.

Let's make another comparison, Dwayne Wade and Alec Burks

Oh jesus christ. I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.

The Future
06-23-2011, 01:36 PM
...and about 50 other big guards to come out for the draft since 2001.

T-Mac was a top 10 of ALL time when he was healthy, too bad the dude got injured, he was well on his way to 30,000 points and was up to Kobe's level.

Very sad to see.

The Future
06-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Oh jesus christ. I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.
Um, I'm not comparing them as players, just there stats, and saying how big of a steal he would be at 15 if he fell to us.

I would take Burks with ease knowing he was 60% the player Wade or T-Mac once was.

Pacersalltheway10
06-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm watching his highlights, and I'm NOT that impressed with him. Are we sure he's a PG? He dribble moves seem very limited in scope.

No he's a SG who can play PG in emergency situations.

Kstat
06-23-2011, 01:39 PM
comparing college stats isn't a good way of implying you're getting a steal. Every GM has access to every player's resume. They get passed on for a reason.

Norris Cole averaged 22, 6 and 5 and probably will fall to the 2nd round. Michael Goudelock averaged 24, 4 and 4 and might not get drafted at all.

Reggie Jackson has the least impressive averages of any of them and I'd take him at #15 in a heartbeat.

The Future
06-23-2011, 01:42 PM
comparing college stats isn't a good way of implying you're getting a steal. Every Gm has access to every player's resume. They get passed on for a reason.

Burks has PG skills at the SG position.

That's clearly a NEED for us as we witnessed in the playoffs.

We need someone who can CREATE their own shot and for other teammates in the clutch.

If he turns out to be a great player (Eddie Jones atleast), then we have him and Paul George at SG/SF for the future. Granger can be traded for a big we desperately need..

CableKC
You have to wonder why Burks' stock has dropped from being a top 10 pick to being a mid-teens pick in the span of a week.

Kegboy
When I saw the title on the forum page, I was sure Shade had started a thread titled Alec Burks - The Next Brandon Rush.

:shrug:

Pacersalltheway10
Actually I believe some analysts and NBA experts have compared Burks to Wade. 1 even said Burks was going to win Rookie of The Year.

Kstat
06-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Burks has PG skills at the SG position.

That's clearly a NEED for us as we witnessed in the playoffs.

We need someone who can CREATE their own shot and for other teammates in the clutch.

If he turns out to be a great player (Eddie Jones atleast), then we have him and Paul George at SG/SF for the future. Granger can be traded for a big we desperately need..

So draft Fredette, who does everything offensively that Burks does better than Burks.

CableKC
06-23-2011, 01:46 PM
So draft Fredette, who does everything offensively that Burks does better than Burks.
You don't think that Bird would draft Jimmer at #15 if he was available?

I'm assuming that some people have latched onto Burks only because it's presumed that Jimmer won't be there at #15.

Since86
06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
You can tell just from the highlight reel that he has problems shooting off the dribble, and they barely played any shooting highlights.

Feet are EXTREMELY close together. Bad balance=bad shooting. But I liked the rest of the mechanics of his shot. He's gotta fix those feet though.

Lance George
06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
comparing college stats isn't a good way of implying you're getting a steal. Every GM has access to every player's resume. They get passed on for a reason.

Norris Cole averaged 22, 6 and 5 and probably will fall to the 2nd round. Michael Goudelock averaged 24, 4 and 4 and might not get drafted at all.

Andrew Goudelock, and at Cleveland State and Charleston, respectively. That's a far cry from doing it in a major conference like the Big 12. They're also both seniors with limited size, whereas Burks is a sophomore with prototypical NBA size.

There is no comparison, which is why Burks will go lottery whereas the other two will be lucky to be drafted.

Kstat
06-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Burks may or may not go in the lottery. The point is stats don't tell the whole story. I'd take Singleton or Jackson over him easily.

Pacersalltheway10

You left out the other half of the game: DEFENSE. Jimmer would do nothing more but take Price's spot. He has no to little potential. Swing for the fences again this year . Picking a safe player in this draft would be a bad decision.

ksuttonjr76
No he's a SG who can play PG in emergency situations.

Given what I'm seeing on his highlights, I don't know HOW he averaged that many points. He can dunk and has a spot-up jumper. His dribble moves seems to be limited to fastbreaks, and in the half-court, it's mostly two-three dribble move (mainly to the right) and pull-up jumper.

I'll pass.

_The_Future_
06-23-2011, 01:52 PM
I really like Burks but I would like for us to draft a big man that rebounds and trade/sign an instant starter at SG. I think Burks needs a couple years to develope into a starter and we need one now.

CableKC
06-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Here is a quick blurb on Burks as of yesterday from DX:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Situational-Statistics-the-2011-Wing-Crop-3767/

Situational Statistics: the 2011 Wing Crop

by: Joseph Treutlein - Director of Scouting

-Alec Burks unsurprisingly fares much better from a statistical standpoint, where his 0.987 PPP ranks sixth overall, and he uses 19.3 possessions per game, fourth most of all wings. Burks' aFG% of 48.7% actually ranks third worst in the class, but he sports an above average TO% and his 18.8% free throw rate is easily best in the class.

Burks' ability to quickly create shots is evident in his transition numbers, as 21.8% of his possessions come on the break, the highest in the class. Burks is a talented shot creator in the halfcourt as well, with 16.1% of his possessions coming on pick-and-rolls (1st overall) and 19.0% coming on isolations (fourth overall). Burks' 0.897 PPP on isolations ranks dead in the middle of the class at ninth, but given the defensive attention he drew, it's still impressive.

Another interesting note on Burks' isolations is the equal rate he drove left and right, having 53 possessions on the season going right and 54 going left. His PPP was equally impressive in both directions, at 0.849 going right and 0.963 going left.

The area Burks fared the poorest was certainly with jump shots, where his 0.734 PPS ranked dead last, hurt by his poor three-point shooting and reliance on long two-point jumpers. Burks takes more pull-up jumpers per game (4) than any wing player in this class, but converts just 27% of these attempts. He takes far less (1.5) catch and shoot jumpers, but makes these at a 39% clip, which leaves some room for optimism that he can at least develop into a decent set-shooter.

On the other hand, Burks ranked third in the class finishing around the basket at 1.242 PPS, and that doesn't take into account the ridiculous rate at which he gets to the free-throw line, where he gets a ton of easy points with his 82.5% shooting.

All things considered, Burks' virtues as a prospect is represented quite well in this sampling.
A whole bunch of stats there...but at the very least...he appears to be a decent shot creator for him and others.

Gamble1
06-23-2011, 01:56 PM
You have to wonder why Burks' stock has dropped from being a top 10 pick to being a mid-teens pick in the span of a week.
Its this draft. No one stands out from 10-15 and I could see how teams would be impressed with Brooks and Klay during workouts. Those guys can shot better than Burks but Burks has more of a "team" game than those 2 IMO and thats why I would pick him over those two.

For those watching the video above please take a moment and watch the strength and weakness video of him at draftexpress. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Alec-Burks-5819/

Its a third down the page and keep in mind that he is a second year college player unlike Brooks, Klay or Jimmer.

The Future
06-23-2011, 01:58 PM

What??

Burks is a SG, who is 6'6", and plays solid defense.

Jimmer doesn't play defense, and is a completely different player.

Burks can get in the lane at the NBA level most likely, Jimmer will be a shooter.

A.B.Hollywood
06-23-2011, 01:59 PM

Shooting touch is the generally the easiest thing to develop at the next level. Vince Carter and Derrick Rose are two other good examples of this. Hell do you remember Mark Jackson shooting a 3 his first couple seasons? He never became a stud here but he was more than adequate later in his career. But I digress...

I definitely see the Brandon Roy comparison though but I also think that's likely his ceiling (but not an overly unrealistic ceiling either).

I just like getting a player at 15 with this kind of upside compared to a Morris brother or alike who we know exactly what we are getting. As a franchise we need to take risks to get to the next level. And in the draft (where those risks literally cost less) is the way to do it IMO.

Kstat
06-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Burks plays average defense, at best.

Jimmer tested better than Burks in agility, and they were basically dead-even in raw speed. Even Burk's vertical leap was all of a few inches better than Jimmer's

Since Jimmer's range is out to 30 feet and Burks is maybe 15, which do you think will have an easier time getting into the paint?

Both Jimmer and Burks are primarily shooters. Jimmer is a much better shooter than Burks. I don't see much of a reason to take Burks over Jimmer unless you were looking for a big SG as opposed to a combo guard with PG skills.

A.B.Hollywood
06-23-2011, 02:06 PM

Jimmer tested better than Burks in agility, and they were basically dead-even in raw speed. Even Burk's vertical leap was all of a few inches better than Jimmer's

Since Jimmer's range is out to 30 feet and Burks is maybe 15, which do you think will have an easier time getting into the paint?

Both Jimmer and Burks are primarily shooters. Jimmer is a much better shooter than Burks. I don't see much of a reason to take Burks over Jimmer unless you were looking for a big SG as opposed to a combo guard with PG skills.

Burks. Every single time.

I'm sorry I just don't see Jimmer as the athlete Burks is. He has things to work on but he can create his shot and his legitimate size.

I also think people are discounting his defensive abilities here.

The Future

Jimmer does not have the potential Burks has.

He is 4 inches bigger then Jimmer, and Jimmer's defense is pathetic. Dude was horrendous playing defense. Burks is a slasher, and he if he develops his jump shot, he will most likely average 20 ppg in the league.

There is a reason Burks has been compared to stars in the league while Jimmer has been compared to Eddie House.

Really?

Burks shot 35% from 3 his freshman yr and 54% fg... something must have happened this year to change that... 54 3's shot his first year 96 this year.. but to put that all in context he has only hit 47 in his 2 years of college..

Markieff hit 25 this year shooting 42%, lol

He is a 2

Kstat
06-23-2011, 02:08 PM
He is a 2

So is Burks.

Shade
06-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Alec Burks - The Next Brandon Rush

Fixed.

Kstat
06-23-2011, 02:10 PM
There is a reason Burks has been compared to stars in the league while Jimmer has been compared to Eddie House.

comparisons are a dime a dozen.

Still waiting to hear why Burks is so much better of a slasher when he doesn't have range, is less agile than Jimmer, not any faster and has a vertical jump advantage of what, 3 inches?

He's bigger I'll grant you, but his place in the NBA is going to be defined as a shooter. He's not going to blow anyone away as a finisher.

Really?
06-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Jimmer is a beast when he plays his game...

Before people hear start talking about Burks defense I am jsut wondering how many have actually saw him play d...

The 3 steals that he got in his highlight taper were all due to bad passes, I have heard that he is not good on defense.

So I am just wondering? I know most have seen jimmer, but how many actually tap in to Colorado basketball games?

Gamble1
06-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Fixed.

Alec Burks - The Next Jerryd Bayless
Double fix

Really?
06-23-2011, 02:13 PM
comparisons are a dime a dozen.

Exactly... if we want to play the comparision game Jimmer has been compared to Steve Nash... who wouldn't want Nash on their team. lol

Since86
06-23-2011, 02:14 PM
He is 4 inches bigger then Jimmer, and Jimmer's defense is pathetic. Dude was horrendous playing defense. Burks is a slasher, and he if he develops his jump shot, he will most likely average 20 ppg in the league.

Jimmer shot 7FTs per game. You don't get to the FT line by chucking up long distance jumpshots.

Burks might finish more spectacularly, but Jimmer gets the ball to the basket at a very high rate, and has the ability to finish off balance shots either over defenders, or around them.

Once again, I really don't care who picks Jimmer, but this notion that Jimmer is going to be a turnstile on defense, because he didn't play any in college, or the belief that he's limited to a jumpshooter on offense is quite silly.

Shade
06-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Double fix

Not true. I don't really want Burks. :-p

Really?
06-23-2011, 02:17 PM
So is Burks.

Sorry that was supposed to be in response to is he a PG...

Oh to add something about brooks, heard he was turnover prone... that is not a good thing and will definitely limit the amount of time he will have on the court

Pacersalltheway10
06-23-2011, 02:18 PM
I hope the Pistons or Kings draft Jimmer.

Kstat
06-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Pistons won't touch him. Then again, they won't touch Burks, either. They aren't in the market for a combo guard.

ksuttonjr76
06-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Sorry that was supposed to be in response to is he a PG...

Oh to add something about brooks, heard he was turnover prone... that is not a good thing and will definitely limit the amount of time he will have on the court

Brooks or Burks? Most rookies are turnover prone coming into the NBA anyways. Whomever we draft, they'll be coming in with the second unit...persuming we keep the pick.

Gamble1
06-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Not true. I don't really want Burks. :-p
And thats why we will get him and he will pan out better than Bayless. ;)

Really?
06-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Brooks or Burks? Most rookies are turnover prone coming into the NBA anyways. Whomever we draft, they'll be coming in with the second unit...persuming we keep the pick.

Burks is a 2, and Brooks is turnover prone, I think 3rd highest in the draft class from what I heard..

As far as athleticms from the NBA draft combine Brooks was 1st in lane agility, first in vertical and 2nd in Max vertical...

People please stop calling Burks more athletic than Brooks... either it is close or Brooks is beasting him going from these numbers

Edit:

Sorry numbers were of 2nd hightest vert, 6th max vert, and 7th in lane agility, 6th in 3/4 court... all of those numbers beat Burks

PaceBalls
06-23-2011, 02:33 PM
The next Dwayne Wade or the next Brandon Roy... damn so hard to choose!

Who was that guy who was said to be the next Alonzo Mourning. Let's get him! Or that guy who is supposed to be the next Dale Davis! Oh and also the next Kobe Bryant, I think that was Brooks? I think there is a guy who is supposed to be the next Reggie Miller too, but when we can take the next Dwayne Wade or Kobe, why take the next Reggie? Maybe in the 2nd round... :p

We need to trade everyone we can to get draft picks NOW!

Gamble1
06-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Burks is a 2, and Brooks is turnover prone, I think 3rd highest in the draft class from what I heard..

As far as athleticms from the NBA draft combine Brooks was 1st in lane agility, first in vertical and 2nd in Max vertical...

People please stop calling Burks more athletic than Brooks... either it is close or Brooks is beasting him going from these numbers

Edit:

Sorry numbers were of 2nd hightest vert, 6th max vert, and 7th in lane agility, 6th in 3/4 court... all of those numbers beat Burks
I think its close but keep in mind that there is a considerable gap between the 2 in age. Which one has more potential? I would say Burks is over Brooks at this point.

ksuttonjr76
06-23-2011, 02:39 PM

Edit:

From what I seen of Brooks, he's our pick and will probably be available at 15. Brooks has way too many offensive moves (not sure about his defense) to past on him. After watching the videos, I was sold on Brooks the same way I was sold on Paul George. Brooks may very well be turnover prone, because he seems to be very ball-dominant.

GizzyStardust
06-23-2011, 02:40 PM
The next Dwayne Wade or the next Brandon Roy... damn so hard to choose!

Who was that guy who was said to be the next Alonzo Mourning. Let's get him! Or that guy who is supposed to be the next Dale Davis! Oh and also the next Kobe Bryant, I think that was Brooks? I think there is a guy who is supposed to be the next Reggie Miller too, but when we can take the next Dwayne Wade or Kobe, why take the next Reggie? Maybe in the 2nd round... :p

We need to trade everyone we can to get draft picks NOW!

Post of the Year.

Lance George
06-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Roy's vs. Burk's production as sophomores:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3130/royburks.png

Roy's vs. Burk's measurements (keep in mind Roy was two years older then than Burks is now):

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/6799/measurements.png

ksuttonjr76
06-23-2011, 02:43 PM
I think its close but keep in mind that there is a considerable gap between the 2 in age. Which one has more potential? I would say Burks is over Brooks at this point.

Age really don't matter...it's all about the skills and their ability to learn more. I think Burks has to learn more skills. He seems too one-dimensional to me right now.

Kstat
06-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Brandon Roy had mediocre measurements. What made him special was his handle and his dexterity. He has maybe the best off-hand of any guard in the NBA, which made his movements impossible to predict.

In terms of guards in this draft that have that kind of attribute, there are none. The most dexterous guards available are probably Irving and Fredette.

Gamble1
06-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Age really don't matter...it's all about the skills and their ability to learn more. I think Burks has to learn more skills. He seems too one-dimensional to me right now.
I think we would all say that most 19 year old kids in the NBA draft need to learn more skills. Age does determine the ceiling of a player and I would bet Burks is a better NBA player at the end of the day than Brooks.

IMO your comparing apples to oranges. Your saying age doesn't matter but how is someone suppose to learn more without time to do it? Brooks has had more time to do it and both can score at almost the same percentage just in different ways.

Really?
06-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Roy's vs. Burk's production as sophomores:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3130/royburks.png

Roy's vs. Burk's measurements (keep in mind Roy was two years older then than Burks is now):

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/6799/measurements.png

Could you put up the stats for the year that they got drafted...

One thing that is never really taken into consideration on these comparisons is the way that they are used on their teams.

Remember they had Nate Robinson at the time...

ksuttonjr76
06-23-2011, 03:07 PM
I think we would all say that most 19 year old kids in the NBA draft need to learn more skills. Age does determine the ceiling of a player and I would bet Burks is a better NBA player at the end of the day than Brooks.

IMO your comparing apples to oranges. Your saying age doesn't matter but how is someone suppose to learn more without time to do it? Brooks has had more time to do it and both can score at almost the same percentage just in different ways.

I will have to look up the stats, but younger players are not lasting any longer in the NBA than the older players.

Gamble1
06-23-2011, 03:32 PM
I will have to look up the stats, but younger players are not lasting any longer in the NBA than the older players.
Well good luck with that...

Let me ask you this, Would you draft Brooks 15th overall based on his college sophmore abilities. You wouldn't even have known who he was but you would have known Burks based on his abilities. Thats an apples to apples comparison.

Really?
06-23-2011, 03:40 PM

Let me ask you this, Would you draft Brooks 15th overall based on his college sophmore abilities. You wouldn't even have known who he was but you would have known Burks based on his abilities. Thats an apples to apples comparison.

Like I said one thing is how players are used on their teams, another thing is just because a player isn't as good as a sophomore doesn't mean he won't turn out to be a better player...

I feel looking at stats alone can be one of the most misleading thing as far as comparing players... depending on systems, teamates, coaches and many other things stats typically don't get close to telling the whole story...

ksuttonjr76
06-23-2011, 03:42 PM

Actually, I didn't have a clue about either one of them until I watched the videos and read up on them. Based on that information, Brooks is the better pick to me.

Dr. Awesome
06-23-2011, 03:43 PM
He doesn't look 6'6 in those clips.

ManWith2FirstNames
06-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Let's be honest with ourselves, who had heard of Alec Burks before the draft process started? Then again, who had heard of Paul George before we drafted him? Can't wait for the draft. If we take Burks, Jimmer, or Brooks I think all Pacer fans can be pleased.

JUST SAY NO TO BISMACK!

ksuttonjr76
06-23-2011, 04:10 PM
He doesn't look 6'6 in those clips.

I thought the same thing which was why I made the original mistake of thinking that he was a PG.

Lance George
06-23-2011, 04:33 PM
He measured out at 6'6" in shoes, so unless there's a conspiracy or someone goofed, 6'6" he is. He looks like a future star to me.

troyc11a
06-23-2011, 04:34 PM

I seen a special on ESPN that suggested the players who leave early dont play any longer than the ones who go to school. The point was each player has so much mileage available and the players who leave younger burn it up faster - KG, Kobe should not be slowing down at their age but have considerable wear on their knees.
This is not my analysis. I report - you decide!!!