PDA

View Full Version : Is this draft class really that weak?

15th parallel
06-23-2011, 08:50 AM
While it has been said by many here and by many experts that this draft is weak, is it really that weak that there is very low star potential on this draft class?

I don't really monitor the NCAA since I'm not from US so I just look for the video highlights and data of popular draft prospects available on the Internet. But from the looks of it many teams are much more active now in the draft and are either looking to go up, or to get more picks. I look at the current draft class to be strong on the wing positions and are potential heavy-impact players in a few years.

Ownagedood
06-23-2011, 08:53 AM
It's not that weak.. We have been hard on this class, it's slighlty weaker than we expected it because multiple "star" players in college have decided to stay another year because the potential lockout, but other than that its still a solid draft. You can get a role player coming off the bench in the late 2nd round and future starters in the mid-late 1st, i say that is a solid class.

Kegboy
06-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Yes, it's really weak. When there are 5 or 6 Euros that no one has ever seen before projected as lottery picks, you know it's a bad draft.

PacerPenguins
06-23-2011, 09:00 AM
no there are alot of good role players... there just isnt that much star power

Pacersalltheway10
06-23-2011, 09:04 AM
There's not much star power but there is a lot of star potential.

graphic-er
06-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Honestly every year they say the draft is weak unless they say its really strong.

15th parallel
06-23-2011, 09:08 AM
I also remember during the start of last season, many are clamoring to get into the draft because there are a lot of "star potential" PGs in this draft, which I think is true because most that are being talked about are PGs (Irving, Selby, Jimmer, Reggie, Kemba among others). I think many Euros are getting talked about right now because the current draft class fills mainly the 1-3 positions, while the 4-5 positions are either tweeners due to size or not really that good.

15th parallel
06-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Honestly every year they say the draft is weak unless they say its really strong.

This is true. I remember that many said that 2009 NBA draft is a very weak class, but it turns out to be a very good one. Blake is already an All-star, Evans, DeRozan, Jennings and Curry have been very solid stars on their respective teams, and Harden, Collison, Hansbrough, Holiday and Lawson have been popular contributors in the league, especially that their respective teams reached the playoffs.

Ownagedood
06-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Yes, it's really weak. When there are 5 or 6 Euros that no one has ever seen before projected as lottery picks, you know it's a bad draft.

Im not so certain... I would say the Talent of the young Euro players are just getting better. Yes, this is a "weak" draft, because there aren't a lot of obvious star players coming out of it. But its not as weak as most have made it out to be. A lot of potential stars and a lot of role players. The Euro guys are big guys who the scouts obviously have interest in, which means they have the talent. They aren't just automatically moved up to be drafted early just because there are only a couple stars in this draft. They are listed ahead of the likes of Kemba, Burks, Brooks, Jimmer, Thompson's, etc. for a reason.. Those are good players, the couple Euros in the lottery just happen to be better, at least in the mind of the scouts.

Ozwalt72
06-23-2011, 09:32 AM
There were like 10-15 players projected as first rounders that pulled out and stayed in school. That's the main reason its viewed as weak, because it isn't as strong as it could have been.

15th parallel
06-23-2011, 09:35 AM
There were like 10-15 players projected as first rounders that pulled out and stayed in school. That's the main reason its viewed as weak, because it isn't as strong as it could have been.

Just asking, but are those that pulled out of the draft strong candidates for the lottery, or they just pulled out because of their relatively weak stock to begin with?

Ownagedood
06-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Just asking, but are those that pulled out of the draft strong candidates for the lottery, or they just pulled out because of their relatively weak stock to begin with?

Most of them stayed back because of the likely lockout situation, so instead of not playing they decided it was best to stay in college.

You could also assume some of them was because their stock wasn't as high as they hoped. But I do know most are actually because of the lockout.

Sparhawk
06-23-2011, 09:41 AM
no there are alot of good role players... there just isnt that much star power

Exactly what I was going to say. Loads of really good role players (players that could start on bad teams), but there are only a handful of actual starting material guys and even fewer guys that could be stars.

DocHolliday
06-23-2011, 03:27 PM

Good point, Yogi.:D

Really?
06-23-2011, 03:34 PM
A lot of good role players equals weak draft... you can get good role players in free agency...

Draft strength is always ranked on star potential...

ilive4sports
06-23-2011, 03:39 PM
A lot of good role players equals weak draft... you can get good role players in free agency...

Exactly. I don't even see Irving or Williams being stars in the NBA and they are going 1 and 2.

McKeyFan
06-23-2011, 03:41 PM

So, as far as the Pacers are concerned, it's not a weak draft? It's as good a middle pick as any other draft?

flox
06-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Plenty of players who can make playoff contributions, but not as stars. You'll see a lot of players like Eric Maynor, Chalmers, and maybe a few "sometimes stars" like Deng types etc, players who can help teams but not carry them.

When maybe a couple has a potential to be an all-star and no guaranteed all-stars, it's a weak draft.

Really?
06-23-2011, 03:54 PM
So, as far as the Pacers are concerned, it's not a weak draft? It's as good a middle pick as any other draft?

Close, for later teams it is a perfectly fine draft... but you have to remember that if this draft would have had more talent, the people getting drafted at 15 might be getting drafted at 30...

In a good draft we wouldn't have to worry about most of these people slipping to us.

Ozwalt72
06-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Don't forget, the draft is so much an "inexact science" that 10 years from now we could look at it and think it's the best draft of the last 3-4 years.

So just identify who the best player out of the attainable picks are, take him, and see what happens. Doesn't really matter what people think the draft strength is right now.

judicata
06-23-2011, 04:01 PM

Jared Sullinger, Perry Jones, and Harrison Barnes were top 5 picks, maybe top 3. John Henson and Terrence Jones would have likely gone in the lottery, Tyler Zeller and Mason Plumlee in the first round.

Since86
06-23-2011, 04:04 PM
"Weak" and "strong" are relative terms, so it depends on what you're expecting.

Like others have said, picking at 15 or even later in the draft it might not be as "weak" as you hear, because the expectations are lower.

When you draft a player in the top 5 you're expect to get either an All-Star or a borderline All-Star. I'm not saying that's how it works out, but that's what you expect and hope for.

At 15 you're expecting a role player anyways, so there isn't much difference from any year.

Basically, you should just move your expectations down. The expectations you have for a "normal" pick at 10 should be this years expectation for the 5th pick.

Teams looking for a star player, like Cleveland/Utah/Kings/Minny etc are going to be hard pressed to find one, if any. But there are multiple options for role players, so if that's your need, then you're in luck.

Reginald
06-23-2011, 04:17 PM
the draft is so much an "inexact science"

Truer words have never been spoken.

2002 NBA Draft
1. Yao Ming
2. Jay Williams
3. Mike Dunleavy, Jr.
4. Drew Gooden
5. Nikoloz Tskitishvili
6. Benetton Treviso
7. Dajuan Wagner