PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the day Bird pulls the rabbit out of the hat to get

indygeezer
06-23-2011, 07:05 AM
O.J. Mayo? Draft day trade possibility? No rumor pure speculation on my part. Merely a rhetorical question. If he could assure himself of the G he wants then he could focus on drafting a big.

yoadknux
06-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Probably not because salaries don't work

indygeezer
06-23-2011, 07:24 AM
um...what salaries? I didn't mention who would be given up to get Mayo.

Shade
06-23-2011, 07:26 AM
I think there's a good chance, actually.

I expect us to make a move of some kind today. Guess we'll find out soon.

vnzla81
06-23-2011, 07:33 AM
I don't think anything is happening, I also predict that we are going to have a last second deal that didn't go through because the other team pulled out again.

Sparhawk
06-23-2011, 07:35 AM
I really don't want OJ Mayo.

pwee31
06-23-2011, 07:44 AM
If the Jimmer doesn't go #7 and the Bucks or Warriors take him before the Jazz at #12, I'm going to assume it's the Pacers

pacer4ever
06-23-2011, 07:50 AM
If the Jimmer doesn't go #7 and the Bucks or Warriors take him before the Jazz at #12, I'm going to assume it's the Pacers

Suns ownership want him. Knicks would also trade up

pwee31
06-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Suns ownership want him. Knicks would also trade up

I'm aware. I just feel it will be the Pacers.

I think Kemba Walker could be a target there as well if he drops.

Tonight will be interesting

pacer4ever
06-23-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm aware. I just feel it will be the Pacers.

I think Kemba Walker could be a target there as well if he drops.

Tonight will be interesting

Andy Katz thinks Kemba could slip to the knicks. I would think that is Larry's ideal draft prospect a winner and a 3 year guy I don't see how he would pass on him based on saying Larry would take best player available. Kemba is considered the most NBA ready guy in the draft by most.

spreedom
06-23-2011, 08:14 AM
I think Fredette is going to be a pretty solid NBA player... but man, if he's taken in the top 10 that's kind of reaching. I'd definitely rather we traded for Mayo than if we ended the draft getting only Fredette.

indygeezer
06-23-2011, 08:37 AM
But if LB were to get Mayo??

MyFavMartin
06-23-2011, 08:42 AM
I could see Memphis wanting salary relief and trading OJ if it meant getting back Marshon Brooks.

We're under the cap, so salaries don't have to match, right?

indygeezer
06-23-2011, 09:08 AM
I don't know that we are yet under the cap. I don't believe anyone is a FA until some future date (July 1???) and/or I believe we have to repudiate our interest in re-signing them.

Someone confirm or deny this?????

graphic-er
06-23-2011, 09:14 AM
I don't know that we are yet under the cap. I don't believe anyone is a FA until some future date (July 1???) and/or I believe we have to repudiate our interest in re-signing them.

Confirmed, if we make a trade then we will be sending one of our current under contract players. So the 30 million in cap space is useless right now. Unless we made some sort of gentleman's agreement.

Foul on Smits
06-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Oj Mayo is not even very good. I don't understand why a lot of you hold your breath for him.

BillS
06-23-2011, 09:49 AM

In normal years you could structure the trade so it took effect July 1 when you would have the cap space. It is why draft day trades often end up on player histories showing the player <i>drafted</i> by the team with the original pick but a first year player with the receiving team. For instance, it's why, technically, Foster was not drafted by the Pacers even though he has only ever played for the Pacers.

This year, with the ending of the CBA, I don't think that is possible.

Wilk39
06-23-2011, 09:50 AM
I think the OJ obsession some still have with Mayo has to do with the supposed trade at the deadline. Would we take Mayo for McRoberts? Definitely. Would I want Mayo and give up more? Probably not.

I think the obsession also has to do with his potential. He could be a star in the league someday. I don't see it though. I would give up our picks in this draft for us, however.

_The_Future_
06-23-2011, 09:52 AM
After the original Mayo trade fell through I have been saying we would get him during the draft. Unless there is a SG(that could start) we could get in the lottery(via trade) or at 15 and I don't either of those happening.

indygeezer
06-23-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm not obssessed with him, but teams have a habit of revisiting trades that almost were. In this case, we would be getting some value that would allow for the deeper bench (whoever started) and let us look to another need in the draft.

ChristianDudley
06-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Maybe Kemba could be Bird's version of Mayo in his eyes--except with a big more PG in him??

Psyren
06-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Honestly...

I expect the usual in regards to Pacers trades. Lots of rumors. Deals that are supposedly complete and then....

BAM! Nothing, just like always.

BillS
06-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Honestly...

I expect the usual in regards to Pacers trades. Lots of rumors. Deals that are supposedly complete and then....

BAM! Nothing, just like always.

Yeah, the Pacers haven't done a draft day trade since ... last draft day.

Losers.

DGPR
06-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Yeah, the Pacers haven't done a draft day trade since ... last draft day.

Losers.

This is true but 2nd round picks get traded around like hot potatos all the time. I think he meant a big trade in the 1st round.

Gamble1
06-23-2011, 11:34 AM
O.J. Mayo? Draft day trade possibility? No rumor pure speculation on my part. Merely a rhetorical question. If he could assure himself of the G he wants then he could focus on drafting a big.
I think Bird is patient and realizes that the best way to get Mayo now is to wait until the new CBA is agreed upon. I expect Mayo to be moved around the trade deadline next year when Memphis knows what the salary cap limit will be and they surely won't want to lose him for nothing as he is a RFA after this year. If you can't resign him then you trade him IMO and thats what I expect them to do.

yoadknux
06-23-2011, 11:43 AM
um...what salaries? I didn't mention who would be given up to get Mayo.
We have no player on our roster that matches Mayo's salary...

BillS
06-23-2011, 11:50 AM
This is true but 2nd round picks get traded around like hot potatos all the time. I think he meant a big trade in the 1st round.

Last year we got who we wanted without a trade.

Year before we got who we wanted without a trade. FANS wanted to trade down, I suppose you could be saying the down trade fell through.

Year before we didn't have a first rounder.

Year before we made a pretty decent pair of first round trades.

So we basically have one year of 4 where there were rumors of a trade that fell through because the player who was going to be involved in it already was picked before our pick.

Not sure how this qualifies as "always".