PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION.

PacersPride
06-23-2011, 03:08 AM
someone pls explain to me how the nba's policies work regarding the following. thank you.

1) if a trade is made during the draft, can it be announced right away or do we have too wait for a later date.

2) since the CBA will expire june 30th... can players be resigned or will they likely wait until after the new CBA is in place.

for example.. can RFA's resign like DeAndre Jordan.. or will it not be settled until later time.

3) can FA's be signed b4 june 30th? im guessing no.

specifically... i do want too know how trades are announced that are made during the draft.. why is the nba keeping draft day trades confidential.. when other pro sports like the NFL making info public right away.

Stern ... u suck ba**s.

wintermute
06-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Most trades can be announced as soon as they are made, yes. The complicating thing is that the draft falls under current season salaries (2010-11) while some trades would need next season salaries (2011-12) in order to be legal. This is sometimes necessary if for example BYC players or future cap space is involved. So if a trade is legal only under next season salaries, then it can't be announced until a few days after July 1, which is the point where "next season" starts.

With that in mind...

1) if a trade is made during the draft, can it be announced right away or do we have too wait for a later date.

Yes, if the trade is legal using 2010-11 salaries. This includes all draft pick-only trades (no salary involved). Only 2010-11 cap space can be used (I think Sacto is the only team that still has significant 2010-11 cap). No players who can be free agents next season can be involved (including outright free agents like Dunleavy, Foster, etc, and players whose options aren't picked up).

2) since the CBA will expire june 30th... can players be resigned or will they likely wait until after the new CBA is in place.

for example.. can RFA's resign like DeAndre Jordan.. or will it not be settled until later time.

3) can FA's be signed b4 june 30th? im guessing no.

In both cases, teams will have to wait for the new CBA.

Each year you'd usually get a few trades which can't be announced right away (because they use next season salaries), but I am doubtful whether there would be any of that sort this year. In a normal year, GM's would have confidence that the unofficial trades they agreed to will be formalized in a couple of weeks. With an impending lockout though, this might mean that unofficial trades could be in limbo for months. Not to mention the possibility that rule changes might make previously agreed on trades invalid (not likely, but can't be dismissed). So I think this year we'll mostly see just formal announced trades.

PacersPride
06-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Most trades can be announced as soon as they are made, yes. The complicating thing is that the draft falls under current season salaries (2010-11) while some trades would need next season salaries (2011-12) in order to be legal. This is sometimes necessary if for example BYC players or future cap space is involved. So if a trade is legal only under next season salaries, then it can't be announced until a few days after July 1, which is the point where "next season" starts.

With that in mind...

Yes, if the trade is legal using 2010-11 salaries. This includes all draft pick-only trades (no salary involved). Only 2010-11 cap space can be used (I think Sacto is the only team that still has significant 2010-11 cap). No players who can be free agents next season can be involved (including outright free agents like Dunleavy, Foster, etc, and players whose options aren't picked up).

In both cases, teams will have to wait for the new CBA.

Each year you'd usually get a few trades which can't be announced right away (because they use next season salaries), but I am doubtful whether there would be any of that sort this year. In a normal year, GM's would have confidence that the unofficial trades they agreed to will be formalized in a couple of weeks. With an impending lockout though, this might mean that unofficial trades could be in limbo for months. Not to mention the possibility that rule changes might make previously agreed on trades invalid (not likely, but can't be dismissed). So I think this year we'll mostly see just formal announced trades.

Thanks wintermute! Appreciate the info. So basically we will not be seeing any significant difference making trades until after the new CBA deal is completed.

wonderful. Was hoping there was a chance Bird makes a move and lands Gordon. this draft just doesnt excite me.. but maybe we can land that Biyombo kid. Seems like a good fit.

Thanks again.