PDA

View Full Version : So the Magic can get Josh Smith....

A.B.Hollywood
06-22-2011, 12:43 PM
but the Pacers can't? And the source cites "shedding salary" as one of the biggest needs for Atlanta.

Seriously?

I'm sorry but if this is true it ROYALLY pi**** me off. They have zero trade-able assets other than Jameer Nelson and I don't think he's who's involved here. What else will they offer? Ryan Anderson? I'm sorry but despite Otis Smith royally effing up the Magic recently he sure know hows to get a deal done and if he can pull off something for Smith for the magic who own zero drafts picks and have nothing but bad contracts and the Pacers cannot with all the young talent, cap space and a top 15 pick this is a travesty.

Like Josh smith or not this is a shame and it would make the Magic a top 3 team again in the East. ugh!

Discussions between the Hawks and Magic are "totally legit," a source tells CBS' Ken Berger.
Executives told Berger that the Hawks have "expressed an eagerness to move Smith and would like to shed salary in the process." The Magic are in desperation mode as they try to retain Dwight Howard, and adding a talent like Smoove would be a step in the right direction. The Magic would instantly become a defensive force with Smith and Howard, two of the most dominating defenders in the NBA.
Related: Magic
Source: cbssports.com
Jun 22, 10:46 AM

PR07
06-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Honestly though, try getting a shot off with those two in the paint, that's going to be rough.

vnzla81
06-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Yep it would make me mad if we can't pull a deal with all our "assets"

The Sleeze
06-22-2011, 12:50 PM
It just said they had discussions. It could be
Magic: "Hey, we'll give you crap for Josh Smith."
Hawks: "How bout no"...hang up

I could be wrong but I don't see this happening.

A.B.Hollywood
06-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Honestly though, try getting a shot off with those two in the paint, that's going to be rough.

Forget going in the Paint.

FORGET IT.

graphic-er
06-22-2011, 12:52 PM
This does seem awfully crazy, I mean can't we absorb this guy's contract? What the hell can the Magic do that we can't do better in getting this deal done. I mean Atlanta does not even have to take salary back!

tfarks
06-22-2011, 12:55 PM
It just said they had discussions. It could be
Magic: "Hey, we'll give you crap for Josh Smith."
Hawks: "How bout no"...hang up

I could be wrong but I don't see this happening.

Exactly. When a reporter out there confirms talks have occurred people go overboard with it. Most of the time its one GM saying no over and over again. Or he will tell the other guy to find a 3rd team.

D-BONE
06-22-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't particularly want Smith, but might we be able to get in the mix on something of this nature by facilitating that deal for the Magic due to their financial inflexibility? They make room for Smith by jettisoning a worthwhile player we can take on? Or something like that? Of course, who they'd have we want I don't pretend to even have thought about.

PR07
06-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Honestly though, there's nothing on Orlando's roster that we can't better outside Dwight Howard.

wintermute
06-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Get back to me if it actually happens.

The rumor says that the Hawks want to shed salary, how the heck can Orlando help them do that? They're capped out, and have no large expiring contracts. They do have a trade exception from the Gortat trade, but it's not large enough to fit the Hawks' big contracts.

Probably bogus if you ask me.

JB24
06-22-2011, 01:03 PM
This does seem awfully crazy, I mean can't we absorb this guy's contract? What the hell can the Magic do that we can't do better in getting this deal done. I mean Atlanta does not even have to take salary back!

As of right now, the pacers cannot absorb Josh Smith's contract without sending anything back.

xBulletproof
06-22-2011, 01:14 PM
As of right now, the pacers cannot absorb Josh Smith's contract without sending anything back.

Yeah but if I am Bird and interested, I give Atlanta a call and tell them I am willing to absorb his contract as soon as I am able if they wait.

They may not want to wait or maybe Bird isn't interested. Who knows?

tfarks
06-22-2011, 01:20 PM
There's little doubt that Bird's phone bill is through the roof leading up to this draft. He's got PF on his mind.

The Sleeze
06-22-2011, 01:26 PM
There's little doubt that Bird's phone bill is through the roof leading up to this draft. He's got PF on his mind.

Peter Frampton?...how does that help?

SMosley21
06-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Calm down!!

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/rma/lowres/rman4481l.jpg

tfarks
06-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Peter Frampton?...how does that help?

I've never seen Peter Frampton make a situation worse.

90'sNBARocked
06-22-2011, 01:40 PM
How does anyone know for sure that we have NOT spoke with Atlanta about Smith?

or that maybe he wouldnt want to come here, or that Bird asked his players about Josh or another GM or ex coach like Mike Woodson who coached Smith and maybe didnt give a favorable response

I believe if Bird has not gone after Smith, its with good reason

90'sNBARocked
06-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Perhaps we get involved in a 3 way trade and obtain Jason Richardson through sign and trade

CableKC
06-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Although discussions maybe legit....IMHO...that doesn't necessarily mean that they are serious about making a deal. To me, the comments can be interpreted as "Yes, they have talked about this...but that doesn't mean that they are that serious about any talks".

To me, unless the Magic offer the Hawks a deal that they cannot refuse ( and signs point to that as unlikely since the Magic have NOTHING that the Hawks...much less any other Team....would want ), this is ( as SMosely21 suggest ) making a mountain out of a molehill. I cannot see ANY Team being stupid enough to move a Starting Quality Impact Player to a Team in the same Conference as they are in....MUCH LESS to a Conference rival that they have met in the Playoffs over the last 2 Playoffs.

Unless the Hawks get's a no-brainer deal ( whether it be the Magic, the Pacers or any other Eastern Conference Team )....I'm going to stick to the old school thought that IF a Player like Josh Smith is traded by the Hawks...that he's going to be moved to a Western Conference Team....not a Conference Rival ( like the Magic ) that would SIGNIFICANTLY improve their roster.

Tom White
06-22-2011, 01:47 PM
How does anyone know for sure that we have NOT spoke with Atlanta about Smith?

or that maybe he wouldnt want to come here, or that Bird asked his players about Josh or another GM or ex coach like Mike Woodson who coached Smith and maybe didnt give a favorable response

I believe if Bird has not gone after Smith, its with good reason

Or, maybe, also the Hawks might be trying to do Smith a favor by alowing him to team with fellow Atlanta area native D. Howard?

Shade
06-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Perhaps we get involved in a 3 way

:twss:

Shade
06-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Maybe TPTB don't want Josh Smith.

A.B.Hollywood
06-22-2011, 02:14 PM
another nugget linked in the magic forums:

Josh Smith is on his way out of Atlanta and he reportedly wants to be traded to the Orlando Magic. If Smith and Howard were to team up, it would not only give the Magic the most athletic 4-5 duo in the NBA now, but in league history.

It seems like each player has been in the NBA forever, but they're both actually only 25 years old. Smith would be the type of talent the Magic could bring in to keep Howard in Orlando.

As long as Orlando can match up the contracts, which isn't as easy as it sounds; it shouldn't be that hard to pry Smith away from Atlanta. Quote from an NBA executive: "They would die to be rid of Joe Johnson’s contract or move Smith."

TheDon
06-22-2011, 02:18 PM
I would rather have Josh Smith than do any favors for these teams that are winning more games than we are. If they reaaallly want to shed salary they'll give us a call if not screw the hawks and especially screw the magic.

90'sNBARocked
06-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Or, maybe, also the Hawks might be trying to do Smith a favor by alowing him to team with fellow Atlanta area native D. Howard?

I think thats what started the whole talks. it was said that Dwight Howard pressed management to get Josh , and the ATL connection could be a good reason why

90'sNBARocked
06-22-2011, 02:24 PM
:twss:

Not to me she didnt unless she was a moo cow

:)

RLeWorm
06-22-2011, 02:27 PM
too bad it won't solve their problems of getting rid of Joe Johnson and his big contract.

CableKC
06-22-2011, 02:32 PM
You're suggesting that the Hawks are going to give away Josh Smith to a Conference Rival ( yes, I say give away...cuz the Magic have little assets of value that the Hawks would want ) that would significantly improve their frontcourt...out of the goodness of their heart?

This is a business my friend....I could see the Pacers doing something like this for Reggie ( a loyal "Face of the Franchise" ) at the end of his career ( such as trade him to the Celtics to help win a Championship )....but it's not like the Hawks owe JSmoove any favors or anything. If anything, he's been a minor headache that I'm sure that the Hawks would want to get rid of.

xIndyFan
06-22-2011, 02:37 PM
it looks like the talk about josh smith to orlando is more about josh wanting to go to orlando than the atlanta FO wanting to trade him there.

There have been reports that the Hawks are dangling Josh Smith and looking for an expiring contract in return. Mannix said it’s no surprise where the rumor originated.

“This is coming straight out of Atlanta, and straight out of Josh Smith’s camp,” Mannix said. “Listen, guys, Josh has told everybody — family members, friends, anyone that really would listen — that he wants to get out of Atlanta. It’s been seven long years down there, seven tumultuous years where he’s been heavily criticized for his inconsistent play, his perplexing affection for a jump shot. He wants out.”

link (http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/06/22/chris-mannix-on-dc-rajon-rondo-has-been-on-the-table-in-the-past-year/)

that might explain why the pacers are not involved. the rumor is from the josh smith camp instead of the guys that actually make the trades.

v_d_g
06-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Maybe TPTB don't want Josh Smith.

Exactly. The dude:

1) can JUMP
2) actually PULL some boards
3) can block shots
4) is NOT slow footed
4) doesn't rely on the CHARGE as his primary defensive skill
5) is not squeaky clean

Doesn't sound like anyone Indiana would want: we want GOOD CITIZENS. I mean, imagine what happens on this forum the 1st time Smith repeats some of his ATL comments in the INDY locker room. Can't have that.

And, really, why would Smith want to come to Indy; not like Mike Davis is the coach? :rolleyes:

CableKC
06-22-2011, 02:51 PM
it looks like the talk about josh smith to orlando is more about josh wanting to go to orlando than the atlanta FO wanting to trade him there.

link (http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2011/06/22/chris-mannix-on-dc-rajon-rondo-has-been-on-the-table-in-the-past-year/)

that might explain why the pacers are not involved. the rumor is from the josh smith camp instead of the guys that actually make the trades.
That makes WAY more sense to me. As I said...the Hawks owe Josh Smith his guaranteed Contract...that's it....he's been a headache to them for the last season or two that I can see them getting rid of.

I'm just throwing this out there....but I can see the Warriors making an offer surrounding Biedrins + #11 + Udoh for Josh Smith. What other Western Conference Team has a Starting Center that they want to part with that needs a Tweener shotblocking Forward?

A.B.Hollywood
06-22-2011, 05:47 PM
This is being reported by an Orlando radio station and more as a done deal. Take it for what it's worth.

And to be clear *if* (and its a big IF) this is true then I am going to go kick a baby:

Orlando gets Josh Smith, Kirk Hinrich
Atlanta gets Ryan Anderson, Andre Miller, Chris Duhon, Marcus Camby
Portland gets Jameer Nelson, Daniel Orton

ECKrueger
06-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Can't we take Portland's spot?

pacer4ever
06-22-2011, 05:56 PM
This is being reported by an Orlando radio station and more as a done deal. Take it for what it's worth.

And to be clear *if* (and its a big IF) this is true then I am going to go kick a baby:

This wont go through Camby said he would retire if he gets traded and i believe him. Why is Atlanta doing this they already have Kirk Hendrick and Camby is like 36. This makes no sense for ATL they are seriously getting killed if this trade goes though.

ChristianDudley
06-22-2011, 06:03 PM
This wont go through Camby said he would retire if he gets traded and i believe him. Why is Atlanta doing this they already have Kirk Hendrick and Camby is like 36.

it would still go through, he would retire after he's traded unless he has a no-trade clause in his contract, which I doubt he has. He can retire all he wants, the trade would still go through unless he has the no-trade clause. He also complained and threatened about retiring the last time he was traded, but he's still playing obviously.

I do hear multiple people from Orlando saying that they've heard this is a completed 3-tea deal (POR/ORL/ATL) from a local radio station down there and that it will be announced tomorrow night.

TheDon
06-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Seriously how can we not try to make some sort of a counteroffer of some sort? Surely we could offer atlanta something better then that? I really hope this is BS, who is going to play PG for Portland after they get rid of dre, I don't pay much attention to the teams out in the west, but this seems like quite a step back for Portland? This seems like two teams collectively bending over to help out Orlando for God knows what reason.

CooperManning
06-22-2011, 06:10 PM
I really hope this is BS, who is going to play PG for Portland after they get rid of dre, I don't pay much attention to the teams out in the west, but this seems like quite a step back for Portland?

Jameer Nelson? I like the trade for Portland.

xBulletproof
06-22-2011, 06:11 PM

If this is true, WTF is Atlanta thinking, really?

ChristianDudley
06-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Well the Blazers have been trying to groom several guys at PG, plus they're taking a good look at Reggie Jackson in this year's draft. They do currently have Armon Johnson, Patty Mills, and Elliot Williams to start with.

Trophy
06-22-2011, 06:12 PM
I don't think the Magic are doing anyone any favors, but for themselves to get better and for Dwight Howard's sake in Orlando.

Anyone CAN get Josh Smith. If the Hawks like what they're getting, they'll do it. The Magic don't have anymore of an advantage than we do.

I'd be happy to get Smith and have him play PF. He's able to play that position really well. He defends above his size and he's fearless on the offensive end. He does all the things we've been looking for in a PF.

I'd love to have a rotation of him and Tyler.

ilive4sports
06-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Oh no! How are the Pacers not in on getting Smith?! We can beat any deal Orlando makes!

How do you guys know Larry hasn't called?

ECKrueger
06-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Seriously how can we not try to make some sort of a counteroffer of some sort? Surely we could offer atlanta something better then that? I really hope this is BS, who is going to play PG for Portland after they get rid of dre, I don't pay much attention to the teams out in the west, but this seems like quite a step back for Portland? This seems like two teams collectively bending over to help out Orlando for God knows what reason.

Seriously I would love to get Nelson.

Even if we can't make a huge trade (Granger for something), we should try to get involved in a deal like this.

pacer4ever
06-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Oh no! How are the Pacers not in on getting Smith?! We can beat any deal Orlando makes!

not only smith but they are giving away Kirk too looks like they are shedding salary.

Anthem
06-22-2011, 06:22 PM
This is exactly the kind of trade the Pacers need to be looking for.

Trophy
06-22-2011, 06:23 PM
not only smith but they are giving away Kirk too looks like they are shedding salary.

That's not a bad deal. Kirk is a good defensive PG and a good leader at the point.

Plus Smith.

If Bird has other plans to use the cap space in a better way then pass on this. We'd still have a ton of cap room left to try and go after EJ in 2012 so I'd do this deal and then try and sign EJ without making a S&T offer to the Clippers.

xBulletproof
06-22-2011, 06:24 PM
This is exactly the kind of trade the Pacers need to be looking for.

The kind of player, AND trade, actually.

Quite a few here have told me I'm stupid (or implied it) for thinking Josh Smith is available or could have been had cheap. ;)

pacer4ever
06-22-2011, 06:25 PM
That's not a bad deal. Kirk is a good defensive PG and a good leader at the point.

Plus Smith.

If Bird has other plans to use the cap space in a better way then pass on this.

Kirk would be a perfect back up here because he can play both guard positions and plays defense(which done of our pgs do the reason i want to draft Reggie Jackson). Adding Josh and Kirk would make the Pacers a lot better IMO.

Sparhawk
06-22-2011, 06:27 PM

Plus Smith.

If Bird has other plans to use the cap space in a better way then pass on this. We'd still have a ton of cap room left to try and go after EJ in 2012 so I'd do this deal and then try and sign EJ without making a S&T offer to the Clippers.

As much as I want Smith in a blue and gold uniform, does anyone think if he is traded here, he'll just sulk and bomb 3's till he asks for a trade somewhere else? I'm pretty sure we aren't high on his list.

TheDon
06-22-2011, 06:27 PM
blah in my ire I got ahead of myself about nelson, but even so I'd rather have andre miller than jameer nelson. I know dre is getting old but the dude hasn't missed a game in the past 7 or 8 years either. I also don't like the idea of facilitating some sort of trade like this for some other team, I'd rather have picks than the players mentioned in this trade.

small edit: that is unless the player we were getting was Josh Smith that's the only player I like in this trade

pacer4ever
06-22-2011, 06:30 PM

Plus Smith.

a S&T will be a must to get EJ in BnG. If he demands a trade the Clippers would just match the offer than trade him. They are gonna match any offer IMO but if we could trade them DG or Josh Smith that would be very beneficial to add Josh Smith for that reason.

Trophy
06-22-2011, 06:31 PM
As much as I want Smith in a blue and gold uniform, does anyone think if he is traded here, he'll just sulk and bomb 3's till he asks for a trade somewhere else? I'm pretty sure we aren't high on his list.

Definitely not.

With Frank Vogel coaching this team, he won't be shooting 3's on a consistent basis. We don't have to worry about our coach drooling over big men shooting 3's.

He doesn't really have much of a say as to where he gets to go.

I think he'd like here better than Atlanta. He needs a fresh start and our starting PF spot has his name on it. He'd fit in nicely with the youth we have.

TheDon
06-22-2011, 06:33 PM

That's a good point too, it's not like he'd be excited about doing the dirty work for Hibbert. I really don't understand why the guy seemingly loves to shoot 3's which is usually a win for the other team if he's launching those. Why anyone would not play to their strengths and the team as well by doing so is beyond me, seems like that would only help you land a bigger pay day when the time came.

Trophy
06-22-2011, 06:37 PM
a S&T will be a must to get EJ in BnG. If he demands a trade the Clippers would just match the offer than trade him. They are gonna match any offer IMO but if we could trade them DG or Josh Smith that would be very beneficial to add Josh Smith for that reason.

As far as making a trade for EJ, I had originally planned on trading them Danny and getting EJ back via S&T.

If we want to get Josh Smith this offseason, the Hawks are gonna want a lot and probably Danny and players we might not want to give away like Roy. If we were to get Smith, I'd want to keep.

Hinrich/Gordon/George/Smith/Hibbert lineup seems extremely appealing to me. We can win a lot with that group.

A.B.Hollywood
06-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I also don't get why the Hawks would make a deal, within their division, to a team they just beat with the goal of making that team pretty much unbeatable in their division.

Progress.

I want to stomp my feet and pout right now. I need to stop reading all this it's just ruining my day.

Hicks
06-22-2011, 06:46 PM

I just know, okay?! Just like I know for a fact that the Pacers value Josh Smith every bit as much as I do!

BringJackBack
06-22-2011, 06:48 PM
I don't understand why we don't just trade a 1st for Josh Smith once our contracts expire. We just take on his salary b/c we have the cap space for it. They get IMMEDIATE cap relief and a first round pick.

In the other trade with Orlando/Portland, they get three guys that they have to hold on to for another year until they get cap relief, PLUS they are forced to take on Chris Duhon's joke of a contract. They get no picks and the only young guy they get is Ryan Anderson, who is a backup center.

:confused:

PS- I'm not upset or anything.. But we'd be doing everyone a favor here by taking Smith off of their hands :devil: :laugh:

pacer4ever
06-22-2011, 06:58 PM
As far as making a trade for EJ, I had originally planned on trading them Danny and getting EJ back via S&T.

If we want to get Josh Smith this offseason, the Hawks are gonna want a lot and probably Danny and players we might not want to give away like Roy. If we were to get Smith, I'd want to keep.

Hinrich/Gordon/George/Smith/Hibbert lineup seems extremely appealing to me. We can win a lot with that group.

did you not see that trade offer? Hinrich and Smith they are basicly giving away for what we have Cap space.

vnzla81
06-22-2011, 07:00 PM
did you not see that trade offer? Hinrich and Smith they are basicly giving away for what we have Cap space.

Were is that trade offer?

pacer4ever
06-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Were is that trade offer?

Orlando gets Josh Smith, Kirk Hinrich
Atlanta gets Ryan Anderson, Andre Miller, Chris Duhon, Marcus Camby
Portland gets Jameer Nelson, Daniel Orton .

post#32

imbtyler
06-22-2011, 07:05 PM
it would still go through, he would retire after he's traded unless he has a no-trade clause in his contract, which I doubt he has. He can retire all he wants, the trade would still go through unless he has the no-trade clause. He also complained and threatened about retiring the last time he was traded, but he's still playing obviously.

I do hear multiple people from Orlando saying that they've heard this is a completed 3-tea deal (POR/ORL/ATL) from a local radio station down there and that it will be announced tomorrow night.

I live in Orlando, and I can say that most of the talk from any Orlando radio station is just chatter to keep these fans interested in/talking about the team. And it works. But if this rumor came out two weeks ago, they'd still say it was due to happen "tomorrow".

tfarks
06-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah radio stations passing along rumors usually lacks credibility. It's all about getting the ratings.

Hicks
06-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Oh, so this has nothing to it? The way it was described I thought they meant it was being talked about as having been close to completion.

PacerGuy
06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Just think of a lineup w/ J.Smith, D.Granger, & P.George...

A.Miller's contract has almost no guarentee to it, so Yes, this is a salery dump. What I don't get is that they get no picks, little talent, & if they wait till the new CBA, they would not be required to match as closely, or w/ a team like IN who could just absorb it once our contracts expire.