PDA

View Full Version : Spurs actively shopping Tony Parker

SMosley21
06-21-2011, 09:24 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_tony_parker_spurs_nba_draft_062111

NEW YORK – The San Antonio Spurs are engaged in discussions about trading point guard Tony Parker to secure a high pick in Thursday’s draft, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Spurs have talked to teams in the lottery, including the Toronto Raptors and Sacramento Kings, who hold the fifth and seventh picks, respectively. The Kings are determined to get a frontline point guard, and have also talked with the Denver Nuggets about Raymond Felton.

It’s unclear who the Spurs would prefer to take if they acquired a high lottery pick.

If the Spurs were to trade Parker, George Hill could become their starting point guard. League sources said Hill also has drawn trade interest from teams willing to give the Spurs a pick near the back end of the lottery.

Parker didn’t play well early in the Spurs’ first-round loss to the eighth-seeded Memphis Grizzlies in May then later told French reporters he thought the franchise’s days of contending for a title had all but ended.

k_lewis93
06-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Very few guys on our team I wouldn't give in package for Parker or Hill

Young
06-21-2011, 09:37 PM
I can see them trading Parker but for a lottery pick in a weak draft?

I think it will be hard to trade Parker. JMO but a lot of the teams that could use him are in the west and I doubt the Spurs want to make others stronger contenders.

spreedom
06-21-2011, 09:42 PM
I'd very willingly trade a future pick (or picks) and DC2 or Lance for Parker. He is still close enough to an elite-level PG that he could put us in the hunt as a high second-tier team in the East.

BornReady
06-21-2011, 09:43 PM
I'd very willingly trade a future pick (or picks) and DC2 or Lance for Parker. He is still close enough to an elite-level PG that he could put us in the hunt as a high second-tier team in the East.

I wouldn't. He's nearly 30 and he has been very injury prone.

Pingu
06-22-2011, 12:22 AM
The Spurs shopping Tony Parker for the 5th or the 7th pick in this draft? :bs:

ECKrueger
06-22-2011, 12:40 AM
I'd rather have Hill.

graphic-er
06-22-2011, 08:35 AM
A Savy Veteran Point who has multiple rings who can help us transition into the new era of winning? Sign me up, would be nice player to have for the next few years while we build our title contender. Too bad Pacers dont' have anything the spurs would would want. They are better than us at every position other than SF.

PR07
06-22-2011, 08:47 AM
If Jimmer's off the board (and no one surprisingly falls), I'd probably trade #15 for him. That is, if he wouldn't sulk about playing in Indiana.

vnzla81
06-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Sign me up, I would love to finally have a winner in my team.

Ozwalt72
06-22-2011, 09:01 AM
We don't have what they want to make this deal. Well, we do, but it would probably hinder our development more than it would help us.

owl
06-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Collison and 15 for Parker. Otherwise I say pass.

Ozwalt72
06-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Collison and 15 for Parker. Otherwise I say pass.

How would we make up the 10 million or so that we'd need to salary-wise to complete this trade?

Collison, Rush, Posey and 15 for Parker and Da'sean Butler? To me it doesn't seem too far off, talent-wise, but it'd still be us winning that trade pretty easily. They'd want something...more.

Justin Tyme
06-22-2011, 10:20 AM
The frustrating thing for me at the present time is the Pacers are under the current CBA and don't have ability to use the cap from the 5 expirings. It's like trying to play BB with one hand tied behind you.

NapTonius Monk
06-22-2011, 10:36 AM
I'd rather have Hill.
Hill and George as a defensive tandem? :drool:

MillerTime
06-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Hes on the decline of his career (very good career though)...I wouldnt want him on our team. We need young players to grow together

travmil
06-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Tony doesn't want to play here. None of the Pacers wives are hot enough for him.

After letting that one sink in for a second, I realize it's a pretty low blow.

[edit 2] But not as low as snaking your teammate's wife...[/edit 2]

troyc11a
06-22-2011, 12:55 PM
I'd rather have Hill.

Me too. Not even close because of age. Parker is probably a little better but he is on the decline.

vnzla81
06-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Me too. Not even close because of age. Parker is probably a little better but he is on the decline.

A litle better?

troyc11a
06-22-2011, 01:27 PM
A litle better?

You have to figure in his injuries and age. Hill is a better athlete now. 3-4 years ago this was not even close. But Parker has slowed down a lot.

vnzla81
06-22-2011, 01:30 PM
You have to figure in his injuries and age. Hill is a better athlete now. 3-4 years ago this was not even close. But Parker has slowed down a lot.

Parker is way better than Hill, let's not forget that Parker is a former all star and NBA finals MVP, I'm sorry but I don't see Hill doing any of that.

Pingu
06-22-2011, 01:38 PM

I'd be interested to know why this seems to be the common opinion about Parker. I've seen him play quite a few games last season, and he's every bit as good at finishing at the rim as he's always been. He hasn't lost much of his quickness.

tfarks
06-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Soo, Parker is way better now because of his past?

Ownagedood
06-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Hmmm... Im not sure i would want him on our team, unless he came really cheap. He's getting older, would be a good vet to have on the team but i wouldn't trade a lot just because of the name. He's been a big PG for a while so it would be easy to overpay for him in a trade.

troyc11a
06-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Parker is way better than Hill, let's not forget that Parker is a former all star and NBA finals MVP, I'm sorry but I don't see Hill doing any of that.

If you want to talk about the past then heck yes you want Parker. But he is on the decline and is hurt more and more. Right now I would rather have Hill no question. Who will be better in '12, 13, and 14?
As far as not seeing Hill being a finals MVP or All-star, you will never see Parker do that again either.
BTW- who is being shopped? Parker or Hill?

ECKrueger
06-22-2011, 03:02 PM

FORMER. No, Hill likely will never be a MVP of the Finals, but he still will be around in several years.

naptownmenace
06-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Spurs GM, Buford, officially shot the rumors down.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/06/spurs-deny-tony-parker-trade-rumor/

Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011 at 3:00 pm | no responses
Tweet
Spurs Deny Tony Parker Trade Rumor

Not too shockingly, the San Antonio front-office attempted to shoot down the latest Tony Parker trade chatter (though other execs around the L seem to believe the Spurs aren’t being entirely truthful in their denials.) From the Express-News: “Responding to an internet report about discussions the Spurs have had regarding potential trades, Spurs general manager R.C. Buford on Wednesday denied that the club actively is seeking a trade that would involve All-Star point guard Tony Parker. ‘We’re not shopping anyone,’ Buford said, via text message. ‘We’ve received calls on a lot of our guys and we’ve answered the phone.’ … An executive of a team not involved in the discussions said he had no knowledge that the Spurs were seeking deals for Parker, but confirmed the belief they were ‘gauging the interest’ of teams that called about him. A basketball executive of another team said the Spurs were unwilling to discuss trading Parker to the Raptors unless they agreed to also consider taking small forward Richard Jefferson. An NBA official familiar with the Kings’ discussions with the Spurs called a deal involving Parker ‘a long shot.’”

If they would be willing to trade him and the Pacers could get him for DC, Posey, Rush, and the #15, the Pacers would be silly to turn that down.

I seriously doubt SA would even accept that Pacers trade offer as they would be getting the short end of the deal.

troyc11a
06-22-2011, 03:17 PM
FORMER. No, Hill likely will never be a MVP of the Finals, but he still will be around in several years.

That is why Hill would be a much better fit. He would be an upgrade physically to what we have now and would grow with the team.
If we were built to win now - I would want Parker. But he will be over the hill by the time this team is ready to contend.

Gamble1
06-22-2011, 03:22 PM
That is why Hill would be a much better fit. He would be an upgrade physically to what we have now and would grow with the team.
If we were built to win now - I would want Parker. But he will be over the hill by the time this team is ready to contend.
As much as people rag on our pg's not being pg's but sg's I think I would pass on Hill.

I think he would cost too much in a trade to bring him over here anyway. In 2012-13 he will be available to sign if the spurs don't want to match.

ECKrueger
06-22-2011, 03:50 PM

Precisely. Nothing against Parker, although he is not my favorite, but he just does not go with what we are doing here.

vnzla81
06-22-2011, 04:26 PM
If you want to talk about the past then heck yes you want Parker. But he is on the decline and is hurt more and more. Right now I would rather have Hill no question. Who will be better in '12, 13, and 14?
As far as not seeing Hill being a finals MVP or All-star, you will never see Parker do that again either.
BTW- who is being shopped? Parker or Hill?

They are trying to trade Hill for a pick yeah he is just amazing...........

ECKrueger
06-22-2011, 04:29 PM
My goodness, no one is saying Hill is better or amazing. We just want a talented young guy here to continue building. We don't need an older star with our current team.

vnzla81
06-22-2011, 04:30 PM
My goodness, no one is saying Hill is better or amazing. We just want a talented young guy here to continue building. We don't need an older star with our current team.

Older star at 29? Man, Kobe and Dirk must be grandpas then.......

ilive4sports
06-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Older star at 29? Man, Kobe and Dirk must be grandpas then.......

In relative terms, they are. Especially Kobe. He has a lot of miles on his body and it clearly showed in the playoffs. He wasn't quite the same. He needs to rest and let his injuries fully heal, if thats even possible.

ECKrueger
06-22-2011, 04:35 PM
You pick one little part to argue. Point is Hill, 25 and injury-free, is better for this team at this point in time than Parker, 29 and oft-injured.

Pacersalltheway10
06-22-2011, 04:36 PM
I really hope the Kings don't trade #7, I hope they keep the pick and draft Jimmer.

vnzla81
06-22-2011, 04:40 PM
You pick one little part to argue. Point is Hill, 25 and injury-free, is better for this team at this point in time than Parker, 29 and oft-injured.

Hill is a role player like Brush,Price, Etc, comparing Hill to Parker is just ridiculous, I like Hill as a bench player, I don't think he is starting material.

ECKrueger
06-22-2011, 04:46 PM
I am not comparing them in terms of talent. I am comparing them in terms of usefulness to us.

troyc11a
06-22-2011, 04:54 PM
As much as people rag on our pg's not being pg's but sg's I think I would pass on Hill.

I think he would cost too much in a trade to bring him over here anyway. In 2012-13 he will be available to sign if the spurs don't want to match.

I agree with that. But the topic we have been debating has been which one fits our team better. I would take either one providing they dont cost much. They could resign Hill. Parker will be grossly overpaid and his contract will be an albatros like the ones we just got out from under.