PDA

View Full Version : Agree or disagree with this statement and why?

90'sNBARocked
06-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Cain in New Zealand:
Are any of the SG prospects for the Pacers actually better than Paul George? I like the idea of Thompson, Burks or Brooks but I believe George will be a lot better than any of them.

Jason Fleming:
Well, it's relative. Are they better in a vacuum than George? Perhaps not. Are they better SGs than George, and thus a better fit between Darren Collison and Danny Granger? Quite possibly.

I like George, he has a nice game, but he will never be as good as he can be if the Pacers force him to play out of position at the two forever.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1694&status=Inactive#ixzz1Pv59f4nJ

IS this true? Is PG only a SF?

If so then what about this :

mike in indy:
u hearing any danny granger trade rumors?

Jason Fleming:
Indy has zero interest in trading Danny Granger unless a top-five player is involved. Do they overvalue Granger? Perhaps, but that's their stance.
Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1694&status=Inactive#ixzz1Pv6MawxS

So we have zero interest in trading Granger, yet PG needs to be a 3. what gives here?

PacerPenguins
06-21-2011, 10:16 AM
hi im mike :D

- I was gonna make a thread but had no idea how to do it with his answer..... TY

EDIT: I disagree with what he thinks

90'sNBARocked
06-21-2011, 10:17 AM
hi im mike :D

- I was gonna make a thread but had no ide how to do it with his answer..... TY

EDIT: I disagree with what he thinks

In what way?

That PG CAN be a SG?

vnzla81
06-21-2011, 10:18 AM
They would only trade Danny for a top five player? Hahahahaha......... Good luck with that..

PacerPenguins
06-21-2011, 10:18 AM
In what way?

That PG CAN be a SG?

no i disagree when he says that PG will not flourish until he moves to 3.....

tfarks
06-21-2011, 10:20 AM
George can guard any backcourt player in the league. I can't see how it would hurt him to have someone smaller than him guard him on the offensive end.

90'sNBARocked
06-21-2011, 10:23 AM
no i disagree when he says that PG will not flourish until he moves to 3.....

I think PG can play the 2, but is much better suited for the three. I also tend to believe that they picked PG for two reasons :

His overall talent

They believe he can be groomed to be the starting SF and can trade Granegr at that point for another piece of the puzzle

troyc11a
06-21-2011, 10:24 AM
They would only trade Danny for a top five player? Hahahahaha......... Good luck with that..

Top 5 might refer to the draft. That would make more sense. No way he brings back a top 5 player.

Speed
06-21-2011, 10:25 AM
I think its wrong, but I do think he'll maybe grow into more of a 3. He's freaking 20 years old, I'd guess he'll put on 15 lbs of muscle in the next 3 years just through normal maturation.

bphil
06-21-2011, 10:25 AM
PG needs to improve his handles significantly if he wants to stick at the 2 spot for the long term.

Trader Joe
06-21-2011, 10:27 AM
I think the big question right now isn't, can PG guard the 2, the big question is, can PG beat other 2s off the dribble?

Gamble1
06-21-2011, 10:29 AM
I think PG has to learn one skill to flourish at sg offensively speaking and that is too work on his post up. He settles far to much with just shooting over people when he could back them down. If he does that then we have a clear advantage at sg.

Agree that his handles need work if he's going to play the way he is now.

90'sNBARocked
06-21-2011, 10:29 AM
I think the big question right now isn't, can PG guard the 2, the big question is, can PG beat other 2s off the dribble?

Exactly

Hence the writers point. George on the defensive end proved he could guard SG by playing outstanding defense on a scoring PG (Rose)

Offensively ,he could post up SG, and shoot over them, but he is better using his quickness to go to the basket which would be better suited at the 3

Since86
06-21-2011, 10:30 AM

He's already shown he has the ability to do that. He routinely got into the middle, and got to the rim.

He had a problem finishing the play, not making it happen.

Trader Joe
06-21-2011, 10:31 AM
He's already shown he has the ability to do that. He routinely got into the middle, and got to the rim.

He had a problem finishing the play, not making it happen.

I don't know if I could say he "routinely" showed it. Does he have the ability? Yes, but I don't think I ever saw him do it in a way that I would call consistent or routine.

Ownagedood
06-21-2011, 10:41 AM
I disagree with both.. I don't believe PG would have any problem playing the 2, though i don't think he will always be expected to either..

I also think he is wrong when he thinks the Pacers will only take a top 5 guy for Danny. He's one of those exaggerators.. Nobody expects a top 5 guy out of DG. Danny isn't worth a top 10 guy, let alone a top 5. But Indy does value him slightly more than what he's worth imo.

Since86
06-21-2011, 10:45 AM
I think he's shown the consistent ability to be able to get where he wants to go on the floor. I think he's failed to remain consistent with the aggressiveness it takes, in order to be a real driving threat.

PR07
06-21-2011, 10:47 AM
I don't really think there's that big of a difference between the 2 and the 3 in the NBA, just like there isn't with the 4 and 5 a lot of times.

George may lose some quickness offensively, but have you ever tried guarding a guy that's bigger than you, they can get around you just by just having bigger strides.

ksuttonjr76
06-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Does it matter? I believe that George can play both spots. As someone stated before, I believe that the 2-3 can be interchangable, and the overall skillset difference is not that big. Personally, I PREFER that Paul George stays at the 2 (if starting alongside Granger), because it's a defensive advantage to have two long, tall wing players on the perimeter. Heck, he guarded one of the quicker scoring PGs to the point where they were TRYING to create a mismatch between Rose and Granger, so I'm pretty comfortable with him guarding "slower" SGs. Now, if we get a new starting SG, then I would prefer that he plays SF behind Granger.

xIndyFan
06-21-2011, 11:47 AM
PG can play the 2. he can guard the 2.

larry bird seems to like size at each position. which leads to believe paul will stay at the 2. i would be nice to see him work this summer at using his height advantage in the mid-post some to get some shots over smaller guards. kind of like kobe does.

fwiw, i think since86 was right about paul's ability to get past guards. he did that alot. make a move, nice dribble, get in the air and just not quite finish at the rim. next year i expect him to be a little more used to the NBA game and finish those moves.

Peck
06-21-2011, 11:52 AM

But that is the point, they aren't interested in trading him. So remember that every time you read one of these trade rumors that has Granger going for either equal talent or a bundle of less talent that the Indiana Pacers are not interested in doing this.

No, Danny is not going to net you a top 5 player or a top 10 player either. But Danny can be a big piece in a bundled trade to get you one of those players.

Again I always go back to Chris Paul who I think could be had. You don't think N.O. might not be interested in Danny, Roy, DC & Posey's expiring if they thought that Paul was going to do a Melo to them? Danny is signed long term (also he is from N.O.) & both Roy & DC are on their rookie deals while Posey would offer them immediate salary savings.

That's just an example btw, not something I think will happen.

As sad as this is going to be for you I think you are going to have to get used to the idea that Danny Granger is now & will be for the immediate future Mr. Pacer.

vnzla81
06-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Of course you can trade Danny for a top five player if you ad the rest of the team and a bunch of 1st round draft picks, the point in my comment was that not team in their right mind would trade a top five player for Danny as the main piece on the trade, he would be an addition(like Harris in the Utah/NJ trade) but he won't be the deciding factor.

I would also like to ad that I don't really care who is "Mr Pacers" right now because I know for sure that he won't be "Mr Pacers" in the future ;)

Peck
06-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Of course you can trade Danny for a top five player if you ad the rest of the team and a bunch of 1st round draft picks, the point in my comment was that not team in their right mind would trade a top five player for Danny as the main piece on the trade, he would be an addition(like Harris in the Utah/NJ trade) but he won't be the deciding factor.

I would also like to ad that I don't really care who is "Mr Pacers" right now because I know for sure that he won't be "Mr Pacers" in the future ;)

By future do you mean 5 years away?;):flirt:

vnzla81
06-21-2011, 12:29 PM
By future do you mean 5 years away?;):flirt:

Two years when PG takes over the "Mr Pacers" throne and Danny is traded for a bag of peanuts ;)

Ozwalt72
06-21-2011, 01:42 PM
PG is a wing. I don't see the reason to pigeon hole him into SG or SF when his game really covers both positions in a lot of ways. As he gets older and adds muscle he may become more of a 3, but right now that's not important.

Trophy
06-21-2011, 01:48 PM
I want us to get that one solid player in return for Danny.

I don't want to trade him to get random young prospects back.

As far as Paul's position goes, I don't care where he is at the wing. He's able to play both and if we were to get say Eric Gordon, Paul would become the permanent SF. If he continues to play next to Danny, then he's a SG.

Eleazar
06-21-2011, 02:07 PM

Not everything is supposed to be taken literally. What he is saying is the Pacers aren't interested in trading Granger unless they are bringing back someone who is obviously better than Granger.

Unclebuck
06-21-2011, 02:33 PM
The position George plays IMO doesn't matter, the question should be whether he and Granger together is best for the pacers team. I do not have enough information, we have not seen enough of them playing together to really know. Plus we don't know just how good George will become.

Defensively I think we are in good shape with George and Granger at the wings. Seeing george do a pretty good job on Rose, impressed me.

Offensively IMO is the bigger question. Is George going to be Scottie Pippen or a more dominant scorer. I just don't know yet.

Will Galen
06-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1694&status=Inactive#ixzz1Pv59f4nJ

IS this true? Is PG only a SF?

If so then what about this :

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1694&status=Inactive#ixzz1Pv6MawxS

So we have zero interest in trading Granger, yet PG needs to be a 3. what gives here?

Simple, the Pacers disagree with the writer and think George can play the two.

90'sNBARocked
06-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Simple, the Pacers disagree with the writer and think George can play the two.

Could be , or could they have planned that all along?

Really?
06-21-2011, 02:47 PM
I think some may be confused by PG's handles and ability to take on smaller quick guards off the dribble.

I think other than his inconsistent 3 this is the weakest part of his game. He losses the ball trying to drive inside often, and doesn't seem comfortable putting moves on guys when he is dribbling.

I bet this summer those are the 2 things that he is working on. I remember last summer that is also what he was working on, his handles that will most likely be his limiting step to determine if he will be able to play the 2 in every occasion for this team.

Peck
06-21-2011, 03:03 PM
The position George plays IMO doesn't matter, the question should be whether he and Granger together is best for the pacers team. I do not have enough information, we have not seen enough of them playing together to really know. Plus we don't know just how good George will become.

Defensively I think we are in good shape with George and Granger at the wings. Seeing george do a pretty good job on Rose, impressed me.

Offensively IMO is the bigger question. Is George going to be Scottie Pippen or a more dominant scorer. I just don't know yet.

To me it doesn't matter.

If he get's to be a player who can score in the teens but still play killer defense & Danny avg. 20 and plays good defense it's still a win/win for us.

If he becomes a dominate scorer & Danny drops back into the teens & focuses more on defense & rebounding again win/win for us.

I like our sf/sg combination right now, I want to add to it not detract from it. Get me Greg Monroe somehow without giving up the other two and we go from bottom of the playoffs to being in the top 5 or 6.

ilive4sports
06-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Two years when PG takes over the "Mr Pacers" throne and Danny is traded for a bag of peanuts ;)

Which is a trade you would like because any rumor for Danny we here you think is a great one:rolleyes:

And Paul George can easily flourish at the two. If he wasn't as tall, but had the same athleticism people wouldn't be saying a thing. He is an athletic freak.

And the comment about needing to improve his handles for a two guard, he has to do that no matter what position he plays.

Pacer Fan
06-21-2011, 06:33 PM

I am sure He means a top 5 player per position, not out of the whole NBA. With that said, If it is a 1 for 1 type trade, then that should be the stance. Danny's production per contract is like no other in the league for veterns. Example, Chris Bosh is 96mil for 5 more years. Zach Randolph is almost 87mil for 5 more years and I can put plenty more up here. Neither are top 5 for there position yet the contracts are huge. The difference in production is minor yet the contracts are a huge difference.
Another words, If Pacer are going to spend big then it better be worth the production. The Pacers can keep Danny and his production / contract and find other high production players with even higher contracts if so desired. It gives the Pacers the ability to get better players around Danny for total salary spent. Not putting all their eggs in one basket and if there is 1 egg it better be dam special!
If you really think about it...I don't see the humor in it. I see a smart, methodical, logical view on the statement.

Eddie Gill
06-22-2011, 10:18 AM
This is a non-story. Everyone knows Paul George is simply a temporary fit at 2 until Eric Gordon descends from the clouds and guides this team to glory. :D

The Sleeze
06-22-2011, 10:36 AM
This is a non-story. Everyone knows Paul George is simply a temporary fit at 2 until Eric Gordon descends from the clouds and guides this team to glory. :D

"Go my son and play for the Pacers"
"I will father, but only if they give me an absurd amount of money"
http://oi51.tinypic.com/2iqlboi.jpg