PDA

View Full Version : No summer league this year :(

The Future
06-21-2011, 12:19 AM
I really wanted to see George, Lance, and Co play next month!

Sucks!!

CableKC
06-21-2011, 12:39 AM
Dude....what are we going to do until October?

There is only so many Threads about Lance that I can read....

Heisenberg
06-21-2011, 12:46 AM
Dude....what are we going to do until October?

There is only so many Threads about Lance that I can read....PD exclusive interview with StankoLover

xBulletproof
06-21-2011, 01:02 AM
Good. I won't have to hear about who's a sure fire superstar for months based on pickup games.

They should just get rid of it anyway, what is actually accomplished by it?

PacersFan1991
06-21-2011, 01:11 AM
I never liked it, I tried watching a few games, but was real bored. Kind of like preseason, just can't excited since it doesn't mean anything in terms of wins or losses.

Pacersalltheway10
06-21-2011, 01:27 AM
I loved it. Fans get to see what their rookies can do playing with and against NBA talent.

pacer4ever
06-21-2011, 02:23 AM
Good. I won't have to hear about who's a sure fire superstar for months based on pickup games.

They should just get rid of it anyway, what is actually accomplished by it?

networking im actually really disappointed i was going this year to network. I am still going to a conference they have where some GMs talk Kahn and the Clippers GM talked last year. the location is still TBA.

duke dynamite
06-21-2011, 09:10 AM
I think the fact that you had to PAY to watch Summer League games online last year was a telling sign that there wasn't enough revenue to keep the program going.

Speed
06-21-2011, 09:13 AM
I saw the Westcoast summer league was cancelled, but was Orlando officially cancelled yet? What if there is and 11th hour deal or an extension of the deadline?

Really?
06-21-2011, 09:22 AM
I loved it. Fans get to see what their rookies can do playing with and against NBA talent.

Yup might be the only time that you see some rookies play all year, sucks that we won't get to see it.

BillS
06-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Contrary to popular belief, not everything in the NBA is directly for fans.

Summer League is essentially a post-draft workout and a pre-camp workout for players in their first three years. It proves nothing on the upside (i.e. good performance in SL does not necessarily equate to good performance in the season), but it can be a strong indicator on the downside (problems - and by that I mean REAL problems as perceived by the coaching staff, not problems mooted on fanboards by people only peripherally paying attention - can be seen early and noted as targets for future work).

It serves a purpose, but it isn't the purpose most fans expect it to be.

Unclebuck
06-21-2011, 09:29 AM
I personally could not care any less than summer league is cancelled. Maybe it is valuable to the teams, but as a fan it means nothing to me

Hicks
06-22-2011, 07:56 PM
I enjoy watching. I'll miss it.

wintermute
06-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Oddly, the Orlando Summer League isn't officially canceled yet.

http://www.baynews9.com/article/sports/2011/june/265296/NBA-cancels-Vegas-Summer-League-is-Orlando-next

NBA cancels Vegas Summer League, is Orlando next?

By David Baumann, Bright House Sports Network
Last Updated: 2011/06/18

ORLANDO --

On the brink of a potential NBA lockout looming, the league has cancelled the Las Vegas Summer League, although it appears the annual Orlando Summer League is safe, for now. Orlando Magic President of Basketball Operations Otis Smith told BHSN's David Baumann, "We are on as scheduled. We are planning for business as usual."

The NBA says its decision to cancel the Las Vegas Summer League shouldn't serve as any warning sign to players. “It was purely a function of the calendar and drop-dead dates with hotels and the arena,” NBA Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver said, according to CBSSports.com.

Orlando is the only other city in the country to host a professional summer league. Last season, Charlotte, Utah, Indiana, Orlando, Boston, Oklahoma City, New Jersey and Philadelphia participated in the annual event. The league is mostly intended for players with three professional seasons or fewer to participate.

I guess with far fewer teams, the Orlando SL is much easier to organize and doesn't need so much lead time. Of course, if a lockout does happen, then it's all moot, the games can't be played anyway.

imbtyler
06-22-2011, 09:10 PM
If the Orlando Summer League continues as planned, is it usually open to fans to watch? Or is it strictly for players, scouts, teams, and plus-one invites? If it continues this year, I'd love to be able to watch our youth play.

Hicks
06-22-2011, 09:13 PM
If the Orlando Summer League continues as planned, is it usually open to fans to watch? Or is it strictly for players, scouts, teams, and plus-one invites? If it continues this year, I'd love to be able to watch our youth play.

Fans aren't allowed.

It's not going to happen at all this year anyway.

RLeWorm
06-22-2011, 09:17 PM
im wondering if they do so happen to get an agreement before july 1 will it be back on?

Hicks
06-22-2011, 09:20 PM
im wondering if they do so happen to get an agreement before july 1 will it be back on?

I would assume something would get done.

But after what I've read from today's meeting, I don't think we're getting this resolved any time soon. The owners seem to be nuts with some of their demands, and the huge one that I think actually makes some sense (the hard cap) is absolutely opposed by the players.

Unless the owners give up on the hard cap, they're going to bleed the players out as long as it takes to get the hard cap in place.

El Pacero
06-22-2011, 10:47 PM
I always look forward to Summer League and watch every game online. So I'm also very disappointed, but will admit it wasn't the same last year without Dante and Galante. It might be funny to get Grady and Wells to go back and forth one summer for just the Pacers feed.

Strummer
06-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Anyone remember when the Pacers played summer league games at Life University in Atlanta? Must have been during the 90's. It was open to the public. I went one year. Enjoyed it but I can't remember who I saw play.